PDA

View Full Version : Wofford has a scary good future

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090831/NEWS/908319909/1090/sports02?Title=Wofford-s-Ayers-not-worried-about-youth-movement

18/22 starters are underclassmen. Good times are a-comin for us. BTW Ayers said he feels more comfortable with this years team at this time than last years team at this time.

ASU_MBA
August 31st, 2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090831/NEWS/908319909/1090/sports02?Title=Wofford-s-Ayers-not-worried-about-youth-movement

18/22 starters are underclassmen. Good times are a-comin for us. BTW Ayers said he feels more comfortable with this years team at this time than last years team at this time.

With all due respect....what do you expect him to say, "Our defensive is young and is going to give up a bunch of yards this year" ?

Clearly a rebuilding year. Your offense should keep you in a lot of games. Just be prepared for a track meet week in and week out.

I do agree you will be scary good in 2 years.

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2009, 09:06 PM
With all due respect....what do you expect him to say, "Our defensive is young and is going to give up a bunch of yards this year" ?

Clearly a rebuilding year. Your offense should keep you in a lot of games. Just be prepared for a track meet week in and week out.

I do agree you will be scary good in 2 years.

quite the opposite. Our defense will be our strength this yearxnodx

ASU_MBA
August 31st, 2009, 09:15 PM
My mistake.......I just hope we are lucky enough to see the same defense this year as last xlolx

Reign of Terrier
August 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
My mistake.......I just hope we are lucky enough to see the same defense this year as last xlolx

if I see that defense again I'll do some soul searching of my own...:(

crabby terrier
August 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM
true our pass defense was terribly weak last year but i blame that butt-kicking on our coaches. xmadx

they strayed from our normal game plan and tried to pass too much. they should have run option, option and more option! at least it would have kept your offense off the field and the score would not have been as bad. also, the 5 turnovers didn't help us any either:(

oh well, we seem to play better against you guys in sparkle city anywayxthumbsupx

ASU_MBA
August 31st, 2009, 10:41 PM
Where can I find your depth chart...? Also you guys know when single game tix will go on sale... I would like to make it to Sparkle City this year and see if your D plays any better....

I do agree with the game plan...I think you guys got down my one or two scores and started throwing way too much maybe to keep us honest I don't know but LeGree was happy.

ASU_MBA
August 31st, 2009, 11:16 PM
Found the depth chart....looks good- your O-line should be solid......I will love to see Brian Quick-you may remember him from last year (6-5 210) line up against Bratcher or Ingman on the corners at (5-8 170) jump ball!

OLDMAIN80
September 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Where can I find your depth chart...? Also you guys know when single game tix will go on sale... I would like to make it to Sparkle City this year and see if your D plays any better....

I do agree with the game plan...I think you guys got down my one or two scores and started throwing way too much maybe to keep us honest I don't know but LeGree was happy.

Check ou this site http://www.woffordterriers.com/ I believe the single game tickets are already on sale.

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM
I hate to break it to you, but check the roster of just about every other SoCon team. There are very few senior stars on any team. I think Furman is starting one, maybe two, seniors on defense.

Not to take anything away from Wofford. Your future may indeed be bright. But you need to recognize that nearly every other team in the conference is just as young and just as talented.

813Jag
September 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM
Looking forward to seeing the Terriers in action on Saturday. xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM
I hate to break it to you, but check the roster of just about every other SoCon team. There are very few senior stars on any team. I think Furman is starting one, maybe two, seniors on defense.

Not to take anything away from Wofford. Your future may indeed be bright. But you need to recognize that nearly every other team in the conference is just as young and just as talented.

As long as we are bragging about who has the best future, I'd submit GSU for consideration. At most this year, 8 starters total are going to be either juniors and seniors. It's probably going to be around 6. xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
18/22 starters are underclassmen. Good times are a-comin for us.
No offense YT, but if I had a nickel for every time somebody said they should be good because of number of returners or number of underclassmen... all depends on how good those underclassmen are.

FWIW, Indiana State returned 19 of 22 starters this year. xwhistlex

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
As long as we are bragging about who has the best future, I'd submit GSU for consideration. At most this year, 8 starters total are going to be either juniors and seniors. It's probably going to be around 6. xthumbsupx

You made my point. Samford might be the youngest team out there.

The Cats
September 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
I hate to break it to you, but check the roster of just about every other SoCon team.

Right you are...... quite a few teams are counting on underclassmen.

WOCO
September 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
The future is bright for sure. I went to our last scrimage and the young players are big time. They can fly which is one thing that we haven't had across the board at multiple positions. I know every is young but I can only speak on Wofford. From what I have seen the youth on our team (last 2 classes) IS LEAPS AND BOUNDS ABOVE the talent level of the previous classes and those classes were pretty darn successful relative to the rest of the conference. Hell, we have all conference players getting pushed to other positions and fighting for playing time right now. We know that we have solid coaching and MA will get everything out of them so that is why we think the future is really bright.

fuEMO
September 1st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Furman's Defensive Starters for Game One by Class:

3 seniors
1 junior
5 sophomores
1 redshirt freshman
1 true freshman

Furman gets real young when you look at Defensive Depth

1 junior
4 sophomores
2 redshirt freshmen
5 true freshmen

elcid83
September 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM

As far as the single tickets go, the games I have watched at Wofford there was no problem with walking up to the gate and buying all that you wanted. They don't sell reserved seats to the away teams so there's no need to buy in advance. Maybe App. State travels better than The Citadel...

As for the original post, there is no question that Wofford is going to continue to field a solid football team so long as Mike Ayers and his staff are in Sparkle City. The question is whether Wofford can make the jump to super team status in the FCS and I'm not sure their offensive scheme will let them get there.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

SU DOG
September 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
You made my point. Samford might be the youngest team out there.

Actually, the Samford defense does NOT list a single underclassman as a starter. We have a team this year that has tons of juniors. However, we have had so many camp injuries that I'm not sure just what our lineup will be in the early going. A word of warning - this Samford Defense is going to be a problem for lots of offenses in the SoCon this year.
The fan base of EVERY single school in the SoCon, including us, seems to think that their team will be considerably better this year. xcoffeex Again, we are very happy to be in this conference, and it should be quite a season! xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
September 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM

only 4 players that are older than sophomore xnodx

fuEMO
September 1st, 2009, 05:12 PM
Just wanted to fact check Wofford's Youth against Furman's youth, pretty interesting.

Wofford 6 SR, 10 JR, 14 SO, 12 FR
Furman 10 SR, 6 JR, 18 SO, 11 FR (I counted Maples in the SO class)

Furman actually has more players on the two deep that first or second year players.
Not sure about Wofford but Furman is redshirting some very impressive offensive players; Dakota Dozier and Ryan Culbreath were on the bubble of playing this season.

I would love to see a spreadsheet of all SoCon teams by class… it would be interesting to see the numbers for all the teams.

SU DOG
September 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Just wanted to fact check Wofford's Youth against Furman's youth, pretty interesting.

Furman actually has more players on the two deep that first or second year players.
Not sure about Wofford but Furman is redshirting some very impressive offensive players; Dakota Dozier and Ryan Culbreath were on the bubble of playing this season.

I would love to see a spreadsheet of all SoCon teams by class… it would be interesting to see the numbers for all the teams.

For Samford: Seniors -13
Juniors - 27
Sophomores - 21
Freshmen - 31

apaladin
September 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
We could save a lot of time, energy and money if we just declare the Terriers SoCOn champs the next 3 years.

SideLine Shooter
September 1st, 2009, 07:14 PM
We could save a lot of time, energy and money if we just declare the Terriers SoCOn champs the next 3 years.

Now wait a darn minute!xlolxxlolx

PaladinFan
September 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM

I was extremely suprised to see Jerodis Williams listed as Mike Brown's backup for the opener. Furman has a lot of depth at running back. Says alot about how talented this young freshman is.

Mountaineer#96
September 1st, 2009, 07:59 PM
I love Woffy's D.......................70 plus points man!

seantaylor
September 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
GSU has one impact player that is a senior in Ronnie Wiggins. Right now we are starting a senior receiver in Garryon Taylor, but he will be passed real soon by a number of freshman.

straightshooter
September 1st, 2009, 10:52 PM
Five of GSU's top six WR are freshmen - four of them are true freshmen. You'll soon be able to ad 6'5", 253 lb Andrew Power to that list, making it 6 of the top 7 being freshmen.

Power had worked himself up to Spurrier's #2 TE at South Carolina, but decided to transfer to GSU and walk on the second week of August. He's coming on strong, and will likely get playing time on Saturday. He's big, fast and has great hands.

WOCO
September 2nd, 2009, 06:58 AM
The point with wofford isn't simply that we are young. We know that other than app the whole conference is young. The point is that the talent level of our youth is on a completely different level than the previous classes. Note that those classes still got rings.

89Hen
September 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
The point is that the talent level of our youth is on a completely different level than the previous classes.
Until you get through some games this season, that's speculation. xpeacex

drpnut
September 2nd, 2009, 08:36 AM
The scary good thing is that the SoCon's future for the next 4-5 years looks extremely bright. Maybe we can reclaim our best Conference ranking from the CAA.

I think we would all say we have our in-conference enemies, but I hope we all pull for the Conference as a whole. I look forward to the day when the SoCon will dominate again.

holla

fuEMO
September 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
I was extremely suprised to see Jerodis Williams listed as Mike Brown's backup for the opener. Furman has a lot of depth at running back. Says alot about how talented this young freshman is.

No recruit is a can't miss… but when your high school career consists of being the lead running back for a team that won three straight Alabama 6A championships. And along the way earning Alabama Sportswriters Association All-State honors. There's a good chance your a good one. From Bobby Lamb's mouth: Jerry can tote the mail, and he's even better than we expected. He's going to be fun to watch for the next 4 years.

That's why we can all understand Wofford fans excitement about their freshman class, the all have the potential to have an impact.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
No recruit is a can't miss… but when your high school career consists of being the lead running back for a team that won three straight Alabama 6A championships. And along the way earning Alabama Sportswriters Association All-State honors. There's a good chance your a good one. From Bobby Lamb's mouth: Jerry can tote the mail, and he's even better than we expected. He's going to be fun to watch for the next 4 years.

That's why we can all understand Wofford fans excitement about their freshman class, the all have the potential to have an impact.

If he's moderately as good as last year's true freshman RB Uhaa, Furman fans will be in for a treat.