PDA

View Full Version : Mars Hill at Gardner-Webb Preview

elcid83
August 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Mars Hill, GW's week 1 opponent, got their season off to a good start against N. Greenville. Looks like the Runnin' Bulldogs are going to need to be ready for an offense that will run and pass the ball. Of course, I expect that our D will not allow 400 yds on Saturday like NG did. Really looking forward to Saturday night at Spangler Stadium. Hope to see you there.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

MARS HILL 28, NORTH GREENVILLE 0

At Tigerville, Jonas Randolph rushed for 181 yards — 28 yards more than North Greenville tallied in total offense — and scored a touchdown to lead Mars Hill to a victory in the season opener for both teams.

Mars Hill quarterback Jon Richt, son of Georgia coach Mark Richt, threw for 116 yards and two touchdowns.

North Greenville was held to 153 yards, 83 on the ground and 70 yards passing. Mars Hill also forced three Crusader turnovers.

Mars Hill leads the series 5-0.

Mars Hill 0 7 14 7 — 28
North Greenville 0 0 0 0 — 0
Second Quarter

M—Rose 61 pass from Richt (Imsirovic kick), 14:49.

Third Quarter

M—Randolph 10 run (Pinkerton kick), 12:44.

M—Waters 28 pass from Cruz (Pinkerton kick), 1:49.

Fourth Quarter

M—Fekany 15 pass from Richt (Pinkerton kick), 7:25.

A—4,500.

First downs 17 14
Total Net Yards 401 153
Rushes-yards 38-206 40-83
Passing 195 70
Punt Returns 5-38 0-0
Kickoff Returns 1-22 4-69
Interceptions Ret. 1-0 1-50
Comp-Att-Int 11-23-1 11-30-1
Sacked-Yards Lost 0-0 2-18
Punts 7-35.9 10-39.3
Fumbles-Lost 2-2 2-1
Penalties-Yards 12-129 4-24
Time of Possession 29:03 30:57
RUSHING—M, Randolph 21-181, McDowell 8-41, Abraham 3-11, Ferguson 1-(-2), Richt 2-(-8), Cruz 3-(-17). N, Hatten 19-62, Wilson 11-24, Harb 5-4, Seigler 4-1, Middleton 1-(-8)

PASSING—M, Richt 5-14-1-116, Cruz 6-9-79. N—Harb 10-29-1-66, Seigler 1-1-0-4

RECEIVING—M, Rose 3-72, Water 2-41, Fekaney 2-28, Young 1-26, Prince 1-13, Woerner 1-11, Randolph 1-4. N, Middleton 4-45, Hatten 4-13, Connell 1-7, Wilson 1-3, Farist 1-2.

TexasTerror
August 30th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Not sure too much about worrying about the pass. Their QBs are awful!

Running game looks really solid for Mars Hill. Bet Chuck South was getting into this game, since North Greenville is their second biggest rival behind the Beach Chickens.

PhoenixSupreme
August 30th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Don't know anything about any of the schools involved, but I did notice that the leading rusher for Mars Hill averaged about 9 yds/carry in that game. If he gets into a groove, G-W could be in trouble.

WCU LawCat
August 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'll be paying attention to this one for a number of reasons. Western plays GW in week 2....and this game could get interesting.

Mars Hill features a former starting WR from App State and a former starting LB from Western Carolina.

elcid83
August 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Have spent a nice evening planning the tailgate menu for Saturday's game. Lots of decisions to make ...

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
August 31st, 2009, 05:51 PM
Well, MHC does have a game under their belt. Patton's teams have notoriously played up to or down to the level of their competition. I can't see G-W winning by more than 21, look at the Tusculum game last year for reference, heck, we trailed that game at one point. I'm thinking GW 31 MHC 10.

The game at WCU next week should be an absolute dandy.

GridFan
August 31st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Can't see Mars Hill running the football against that defense folks. Not many teams did last year. Those G-W linebackers are just plain good.

britt
September 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Can't see Mars Hill running the football against that defense folks. Not many teams did last year. Those G-W linebackers are just plain good.

We know our linebackers are solid, how are the DB's, I know we had some injuries with a couple of the D Backs, are they all finally healthy?

OLDLCOACH111
September 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
For Mars Hill to edge out a win vs GW it would have to be through the air..... They wont have much luck on the ground.... But GW will have more depth and talent heading into the 4th quarter....

GW 40 Mars Hill 13

britt
September 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM
For Mars Hill to edge out a win vs GW it would have to be through the air..... They wont have much luck on the ground.... But GW will have more depth and talent heading into the 4th quarter....

GW 40 Mars Hill 13

We know our linebackers are solid, how are the DB's, I know we had some injuries with a couple of the D Backs, are they all finally healthy?

GridFan
September 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Game Notes just posted online at gwusports website. Looks like James and Leslie are the safeties. Pretty good ones.

Here's a link. Not sure if I can make this work, but I'll try. Didn't realize Mars Hill had won the past two meetings, back in 1999 and 2000.

http://www.gwusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=204785794&DB_OEM_ID=10300

elcid83
September 2nd, 2009, 07:51 AM
I know GW is a small school with a limited budget, but I sure wish that our Sports Information Department would step up the coverage of our football program. Prior to the release of the upcoming game notes, the last "news" that was posted on our web site was on August 15 about the first scrimmage of the season. In order to create a lot of interest in a small program, GW is going to have to step up the coverage. The Shelby newspaper is clearly low budget and is only going to report what is fed to them by the SID. The Charlotte newspaper [less than an hour away] has no interest in covering the Runnin' Bulldogs.

To add insult to injury, I received a weekly email from the Bulldog Club yesterday that had information about the upcoming women's basketball schedule, a men's soccer game on Tuesday night, a rescheduled women's soccer game, and the upcoming volleyball tournament that is being played on Saturday. There was absolutely no mention of the first football game of the season!

It is frustrating to have followed a larger [but not very good football program - Univ. of SC] forever and be able to find out on a daily basis how practice went, who was hurt, who was playing well, who was competing for a starting spot, etc... and then fall into a dark hole where it is impossible to find out what it going on.

Come on Gardner-Webb - let's tell the world what is going on in Boiling Springs.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

kdinva
September 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
I sure wish that our Sports Information Department would step up the coverage of our football program. Prior to the release of the upcoming game notes, the last "news" that was posted on our web site was on August 15 about the first scrimmage of the season.......Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

I know exactly how you feel.;)xcoffeex

GridFan
September 2nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
A weekly practice report in the preseason would be a great idea. I'll shoot those guys an email and suggest that. They're usually pretty good at listening to suggestions. [email protected] is the email address to use. Good people in general.

elcid83
September 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
A weekly practice report in the preseason would be a great idea. I'll shoot those guys an email and suggest that. They're usually pretty good at listening to suggestions. [email protected] is the email address to use. Good people in general.

Great news Gridfan and thanks for the help. I hope I don't sound critical, I just want our fans to know what is going on and I believe it will really help our fans get excited about this football season.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

elcid83
September 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
In looking at GW's athletic website, it appears that there will be a volleyball tournament and a women's soccer match being played also on Saturday. Anybody know what that does to football parking? Particularly those of us who are planning to be there at 1:00?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

g-webb1994
September 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Shouldn't effect your parking at all elcid, especially if you are arriving that early....no problem whatsoever.

Go ahead and send Marc Rabb an e-mail. He's a good guy and will listen. At least the Sports Info. Department is doing a better job at releasing schedules now.

justsaying
September 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I know GW is a small school with a limited budget, but I sure wish that our Sports Information Department would step up the coverage of our football program. Prior to the release of the upcoming game notes, the last "news" that was posted on our web site was on August 15 about the first scrimmage of the season. In order to create a lot of interest in a small program, GW is going to have to step up the coverage. The Shelby newspaper is clearly low budget and is only going to report what is fed to them by the SID. The Charlotte newspaper [less than an hour away] has no interest in covering the Runnin' Bulldogs.

To add insult to injury, I received a weekly email from the Bulldog Club yesterday that had information about the upcoming women's basketball schedule, a men's soccer game on Tuesday night, a rescheduled women's soccer game, and the upcoming volleyball tournament that is being played on Saturday. There was absolutely no mention of the first football game of the season!

It is frustrating to have followed a larger [but not very good football program - Univ. of SC] forever and be able to find out on a daily basis how practice went, who was hurt, who was playing well, who was competing for a starting spot, etc... and then fall into a dark hole where it is impossible to find out what it going on.

Come on Gardner-Webb - let's tell the world what is going on in Boiling Springs.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Finally someone else speaks up!!!

Marc Rabb has been doing mediocre and lazy football coverage of Gardner Webb for years. I remember a few years ago, I went down to watch my nephews game, it was the last game of the season, and GW was playing for a share of the conference championship. There was not ONE mention of it on the sports website all week, NOT EVEN ON GAMEDAY!!! He really needs to do a better job promoting the program. Having your intern type up some quick game notes won’t cut it….

Don’t even get me started on how there is no options for season tickets and how there is zero amount of publicity of the program (press conferences,TV commercials. Billboards, radio ads, etc.). In the past years playing Ohio, Mississippi State and Georgia Tech. Not to mention NC State and Buffalo this year,GWU had to pull in around $300,000-400,000 each game ... You do the math… They should be able to afford some type of advertising...

EagleDawg
September 2nd, 2009, 08:10 PM
Yep, if you want to be considered a big dog albeit not one yet known to be consistently viscious on the gridiron you gotta act like a big dog in all things including sports information and building excitement up for the program. I just noticed on the GWU Athletics website courtesey of my brother that their is apparently no place to order tickets or access information on tickets. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The coaches are touting that they are getting better players so the whole athletic organization needs to keep pace and step up their game too.

Looking forward to Saturday!

Go Runnin Bulldogs!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

GATA
September 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
i heard mars hill was really good

asknoquarter21
September 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
Mars Hill is really good.

The running game is awesome and that Jonas Randolph should have gone to Auburn or Louisville.

The QBs aren't the best but they have very good WRs. John Brown is a stud WR and will probably do well. Josh Johnson came from APP and will line up on the other side of Brown.

Mars Hill also has a good defense. Deshun Nesbitt might be the best player on the field. He is a shutdown CB that should be playing FCS/FBS ball. He is a big physical CB that rarely sees a WR that he can't run with.

I think it will be a pretty good game.

I live 5 minutes from Mars Hill now that I graduated from App.

g-webb1994
September 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Yep, if you want to be considered a big dog albeit not one yet known to be consistently viscious on the gridiron you gotta act like a big dog in all things including sports information and building excitement up for the program. I just noticed on the GWU Athletics website courtesey of my brother that their is apparently no place to order tickets or access information on tickets. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The coaches are touting that they are getting better players so the whole athletic organization needs to keep pace and step up their game too.

Looking forward to Saturday!

Go Runnin Bulldogs!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

There is no link for tickets for one reason.....no demand or danger of a sellout. I can't grasp if they inflate attendance figures for football now, but I guarantee you that G-W inflates figures for mens hoops....Porter Arena doesn't even have 3,000 permanent seats, but yet is listed as holding 4,000 and we 'draw' 2,000+ to big games there, even though at said games the arena is not half full.

clinchBoy
September 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM
its like everything else at the webb... 2nd rate! Why else would they accept 5-6 year after year after year after year after year

GridFan
September 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Easy gentlemen. No need for personal attacks. The SID office does a good job with what they have to work with. Trust me, I've been in their shoes. Rabb mentioned at one point last season that he does check out this site from time to time, so I'm sure he'll see the suggestions. Probably get his pride hurt a little too ;). He'll be fine, I'm sure. As I said before, good fella.

GridFan
September 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
With regards to the game. I would hope it's over by halftime, but I would guess MHC could hang around past that point. We'll see. I'm excited to watch on the video stream this year.

Thumper250
September 3rd, 2009, 07:54 AM
Agreed Grid, on both accounts. Nobody loves G-W football more than MR. And I sure hope the 'Dogs are good enough to put MHC away early. That game in 2000 was a stinger.

I won't make it to the game Saturday, but am hopeful to get to the October 17 game against CSU. Anybody seen the scrimmages to get a read on anything? I heard they only got to do two this year because of weather.

EagleDawg
September 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Thumper and Grid - I don't want to associate myself with the more harsh comments in this thread but I did want to offer up some comments and suggestions. There is nothing 2nd rate about any GWU personnel or anything to do with the program as they continue to improve the facilities and the football program through recruitment of better players. It's sometimes hard to measure but all need to keep in mind that the competition isn't and never will sit still so you always have to work to improve each aspect of your athletics program.

We'll have 15 or so new Runnin Bulldog fans in the stands from our family Saturday to hopefully see the 09 Dawgs get off to a great start and also to watch a new and our favorite BullDog.

g-webb1994
September 3rd, 2009, 10:48 PM
I don't understand the potshots at Marc Rabb on here. Rabb is a good fella, and does a decent job. As far as the attendance comment I made, Rabb does what the head hoops coach tells him to in that regard. If you send him an e-mail, he'll answer it, whether you are a big time booster, average fan, parent, etc.

EagleDawg
September 4th, 2009, 07:21 AM
GWebb1994 - I agree Rabb is a good guy and he does do as you say as he has responded to my emails when sent. I believe Elcid 83 was just pointing out from a Sports Information viewpoint the additional/expanded information that is posted on other FCS websites regarding football summer camp (i.e. weekly updates) and building excitement early in the week for each Saturday's game. For sure ElCid 83 is a strong supporter of GWU. As for ClinchBoy well maybe he just needs to relax and unclinch a bit don't you think?

As for tomorrow's game against Mars Hill, I like GWU by 13 or more. The Runnin Bulldogs have the pieces to put together a strong season so long as they don't beat themselves by giving up big plays on either side of the ball. After watching NC State's woeful offensive performance against USC last night, I am becoming more hopeful about the upset prospects of that game in two weeks.

Weather is looking pretty good, grass is green, it's just about time for the Runnin Dawgs to get busy.

elcid83
September 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I hope no one mistook my desire for more information as a criticism of Mr. Rabb. I was simply expressing my selfish desire for more information on our Runnin' Bulldogs. Following the Gamecocks on Gamecock Central [the Rivals site] I have enjoyed learning when a 3rd string player has a hangnail and might not be able contribute effectively on the scout team during a Tuesday night practice.

Of course, if I'm Coach Patton and his staff, I am going to want to limit the amount of information getting on the internet [like a poker player shouldn't show off his bluff after he wins the hand]. I believe there is a market out there for information on the FCS teams and I do believe that if GW wants to increase its fan base and enhance their recruiting successes there is going to need to be more information shared with the fans.

I know for a fact that a potential recruit is going to look at the school's athletic website first thing when that college shows interest in him as a potential recruit. Look at any Southern Conference team site and you will see the amount of information that is shared on those websites.

Thankfully, the season starts tomorrow and I can quit worrying about hangnails. I look forward to seeing everyone at Spangler Stadium tomorrow.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

GridFan
September 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I talked to the man on the phone yesterday and he's fine. No offense taken. I used to work for him as a student. Just shared with him some "suggestions". ;)

Mentioned to share that if you can't make it tomorrow, check out the Big South Network's video stream. Apparently the league office purchased new equipment for that purpose that should add to that feature. I plan on checking it out.

justsaying
September 4th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I talked to the man on the phone yesterday and he's fine. No offense taken. I used to work for him as a student. Just shared with him some "suggestions". ;)

Mentioned to share that if you can't make it tomorrow, check out the Big South Network's video stream. Apparently the league office purchased new equipment for that purpose that should add to that feature. I plan on checking it out.

We are just being honest on how we feel... Thats what these boards are for... Now as far as the type of guy Marc Rabb is and his love for the program, I can't personally comment, but if this is so, I just don't feel like he is translating it well to the public....