PDA

View Full Version : app's statium pics 8/29/09

BooneNative
August 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
went home to visit the folks this wkend, so i decided to drop by kidd brewer for some pic's. enjoy.

BooneNative
August 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
and a few more.

BooneNative
August 29th, 2009, 09:05 PM
last round..

BooneNative
August 29th, 2009, 09:14 PM
sorry..meant stadium. app's education at its best

smallcollegefbfan
August 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Great pics! The Rock is looking very much improved!

MarchingMountaineer
August 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks for some great pictures for those of us who can't get there. xthumbsupx

And nice shots of the area, so people who don't like the track can point out where the flat land is to build one.

slostang
August 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Awesome.

Skjellyfetti
August 30th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Can't wait for football season to kick off next weekend....

But, REALLY can't wait to see that stadium on 9/12.

xhypedxxhypedxxhypedx

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM
awesome pictures, thanks! i hadnt seen a picture from that angle of the new west entrance. looks great. ready to go to ECU next week and for 9/12!!!!!

art vandelay
August 30th, 2009, 03:28 AM
how many people does it hold now?

DemiGS
August 30th, 2009, 03:57 AM
sweet looking improvements. It's tragic though that the stadium has a track around it.

AppStateold299
August 30th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Those are amazing pictures. I can't wait to see it in person again. You have done the stadium justice by showing everything. I am very impressed with how it came out.

whoanellie
August 30th, 2009, 06:52 AM
State project: kind of reminds me of an interstate Welcome Center. really could have used a stone mason using natural materials. bring on that Molly Hatchett concert!!!

Saint3333
August 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
State project: kind of reminds me of an interstate Welcome Center. really could have used a stone mason using natural materials. bring on that Molly Hatchett concert!!!

xnonono2x

I'm sure the recruits will disagree...

SideLine Shooter
August 30th, 2009, 09:04 AM
sweet looking improvements. It's tragic though that the stadium has a track around it.

Sounds like jealousy to me.xlolxxlolxxlolx

biggie
August 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Official seating capacity is 21,650. I hope to see over 31k on the 12th, though economy may hurt that.

jmu007
August 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
New additions look top notch!

sooooo jealous of the videoboard... hate our mini-tron

AppMan
August 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Approximately 21,500. BTW, how's the import business these days? Or is that export?

AppMan
August 30th, 2009, 10:01 AM

And nice shots of the area, so people who don't like the track can point out where the flat land is to build one.

There is plenty of flat land if you look for it. Perhaps not right in the middle of campus, but it is around. They found enough to put several soccer fields on and there is plenty more out there to put a track on. But even if there isn't a large enough piece of flat land without some hills there are companies which make these things call bulldozers, excavators, graders, and dumptrucks. These really amazing machines allow you to dig up and move dirt & rock from one place, take it to another, and level it out so you can have flat land anywhere you want it. Its really cool stuff! Perhaps you need to check it out!

http://www.cat.com/equipment/

Jag4Life
August 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Looks good.

AppMan
August 30th, 2009, 10:06 AM

I agree. Can't do much with the sidelines except cover them with turf, but I'm waiting of the day we have 5-6,000 seats in each endzone snugged up to the field. The Rock is loud now, can't imagine what it would be like then.

AppMan
August 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Reminds me of a place your team hasn't won in since 1964.

ASUG8
August 30th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Too bad the fighting Christian chickens won't get the full experience this year at the welcome center. The season should be in the bag by then anyway, so we'll see you in Eloan to get our W. xnonox

art vandelay
August 30th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Approximately 21,500. BTW, how's the import business these days? Or is that export?

I'm an importer/ exporter. business is dow with the rest of the economy.

wcucat85
August 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Very impressive App fans.Its amazing the changes over 25 years.....I can remember my playing days at Western (82'-85') when each of us had one big side with bleachers flanking the other.I am pleased with our stadium and facilities.Hopefully under Coach Wagner we can get back to respectability soon.Good luck against ECU.

yosef1969
August 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I agree. Can't do much with the sidelines except cover them with turf, but I'm waiting of the day we have 5-6,000 seats in each endzone snugged up to the field. The Rock is loud now, can't imagine what it would be like then.

Amen.

yosef1969
August 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM

You're preaching to the choir. Couldn't agree more.

wcucat85
August 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
By the way I have two younger brothers who attended App so I hear about all this all the time...ALLL THE TIME...............I had a free ride so I went to Western...............

Aho_Old_Guy
August 30th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the update. Looks really classy for a bunch of mountain heathens.

There is plenty of flat land if you look for it. Perhaps not right in the middle of campus, but it is around. They found enough to put several soccer fields on and there is plenty more out there to put a track on. But even if there isn't a large enough piece of flat land without some hills there are companies which make these things call bulldozers, excavators, graders, and dumptrucks. These really amazing machines allow you to dig up and move dirt & rock from one place, take it to another, and level it out so you can have flat land anywhere you want it. Its really cool stuff! Perhaps you need to check it out!

Boone can't handle the storm water they get now --- not a very good idea to make an existing unmanageable problem into a future financial and economic nightmare.

Boone needs to build up --- not out.

james_lawfirm
August 30th, 2009, 01:15 PM
You're preaching to the choir. Couldn't agree more.

Now wait a minute. I like the track. Or, more correctly, I like the space between the seats and the field. I don't have any problem filling that space with a track. If the seats were any closer, sideline plays would be obstructed. Other SoCon teams have that problem - Elon comes to mind.

All in all, KBS looks fantastic. Can't wait for Sept. 12!

gophoenix
August 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Now wait a minute. I like the track. Or, more correctly, I like the space between the seats and the field. I don't have any problem filling that space with a track. If the seats were any closer, sideline plays would be obstructed. Other SoCon teams have that problem - Elon comes to mind.

Plus, it keeps a lot of space between the team and the fans, The Citadel and GSU come to mind for this type of issue and why it could be bad sometimes.

Uncle Buck
August 30th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Looks great, except for the track :D

AppStsGr8
August 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I actually had a free afternoon for once yesterday. Couldn't resist driving up to Boone just to park in my spot in the stadium lot and walk around. Things are really looking great! Can't wait to host McNeese on the 12th.

DX Man
August 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
The stadium is looking great! It's a shame our team has to travel and play in front of small crowds at the other SoCon schools....except GSUxthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2009, 11:17 PM

Welcome Center = Friendly, welcoming place for visitors

KBS = Makes visitors shart themselves

Theres the differencexthumbsupx

KiddBrewer
August 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM
i think everybody gets too caught up on there being a track there. Its a track, just pretend its green grass and not whatever orange/brown color that is.....maybe we could pay to have some sod put down on game days so people arent so tragically influenced by it being there.

The Moody1
August 31st, 2009, 07:38 AM

Too funny. But I guess it is better than some of the other SoCon stadiums that kind of remind me of a High School.

SoCon48
August 31st, 2009, 07:40 AM
i think everybody gets too caught up on there being a track there. Its a track, just pretend its green grass and not whatever orange/brown color that is.....maybe we could pay to have some sod put down on game days so people arent so tragically influenced by it being there.

It's a dumb issue. We originally got funding for some of the improvements from the university system based on then Whitmire Stadium being a multi-purpose facility. We have more pressing needs than digging up the track.

MasonJar
August 31st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Track, schmack...

We gotta have some place close by for the thoroughbreds to stretch their legs! ;o)

EmeryZach
August 31st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Looks awesome.

Lucky all those renovations got approved before the economic meltdown.

It will be years before UMass sees any changes at McGuirk Stadium.

I'm very jealous.

yosef1969
August 31st, 2009, 12:32 PM

Just think the track is a terrible eyesore. I've heard that argument before but it's a trade off, some people like being that close to the action, even with obstructed views. The gain you get in crowd noise and atmosphere would be worth it to some but either way you don't necessarily need to move existing seats in closer but rather do what JMU did. Remove the track and enclose the north endzone. With the track it is impossible to add usable endzone seating.xtwocentsx

Skjellyfetti
August 31st, 2009, 12:47 PM
Just think the track is a terrible eyesore. I've heard that argument before but it's a trade off, some people like being that close to the action, even with obstructed views. The gain you get in crowd noise and atmosphere would be worth it to some but either way you don't necessarily need to move existing seats in closer but rather do what JMU did. Remove the track and enclose the north endzone. With the track it is impossible to add usable endzone seating.xtwocentsx

I think something similar to what JMU did would be the next logical step of expansion.

But, there wouldn't be too much difference, imo, aesthetically. Track is still there just a different color.

http://allthingsfootball.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/800px-jmu_bridgeforth_fieldturf.jpg

Only way to really get rid of it would be to lower the level of the field or cover it with field turf.

Maybe next time they redo the surface of the field we can get them to put a big block A at the 50 and put field turf over the track.

GoGSU
August 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
Impressive upgrades...can't wait to see them in person 10/24! Good luck against ECU!

JSU02
August 31st, 2009, 02:47 PM
It looks nice, but the track is a shame. I'm so glad we never went that route.

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM
i think its funny that all kinds of people talk about the track being an eyesore....but nearly no one mentions the soccer field markings as "ugly"

yosef1969
August 31st, 2009, 03:04 PM
i think its funny that all kinds of people talk about the track being an eyesore....but nearly no one mentions the soccer field markings as "ugly"

Not in this discussion but that decision has been much maligned over the years as well. Hopefully the next generation of the field will rectify that as well.

yosef1969
August 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
I think something similar to what JMU did would be the next logical step of expansion.

But, there wouldn't be too much difference, imo, aesthetically. Track is still there just a different color.

http://allthingsfootball.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/800px-jmu_bridgeforth_fieldturf.jpg

Only way to really get rid of it would be to lower the level of the field or cover it with field turf.
Maybe next time they redo the surface of the field we can get them to put a big block A at the 50 and put field turf over the track.

I think that would fine with most folks. It's highly unlikely they will ever sink the field but that would be best aesthetically, bring fans closer to the action and add seating. The bigger issue is that the next area to expand would be the North endzone and if the track is there it can't happen. If that were to ever happen (north endzone expansion), covering the track in field turf would appease many.

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 03:14 PM
Not in this discussion but that decision has been much maligned over the years as well. Hopefully the next generation of the field will rectify that as well.

ha yea, ive been in on a few of those other discussions! id rather see that go than the track, for sure.

ncguitarplyr
August 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
if there were some sort of "get rid of the track" fund to build a new track and get rid of this one (and the soccer lines) I'd be donating

parr90
August 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM

Man it looks bigger than that. Georgia Southerms holds 18,000 seats. I would have thought it was bigger. Looks great though. Top notch. I wish GSU would get on the boat and start some expansion.

Skjellyfetti
August 31st, 2009, 04:52 PM
Man it looks bigger than that. Georgia Southerms holds 18,000 seats. I would have thought it was bigger. Looks great though. Top notch. I wish GSU would get on the boat and start some expansion.

That's its listed capacity... we pack them in in the student section and on the hill. Attendance record set last year was just short of 31,000... hopefully it will be broken again this year.

kirkblitz
August 31st, 2009, 05:11 PM

dude a track is 1000000000000 times uglier then a few markings on the field, people are use to multi purpose fields from the pro's and highschool etc. your track is fugly xrotatehx

Maroon&White
August 31st, 2009, 05:27 PM
It will be years before UMass sees any changes at McGuirk Stadium.

Such as the turf and lights? xeyebrowx

APP66
August 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM
awesome pictures, thanks! i hadnt seen a picture from that angle of the new west entrance. looks great. ready to go to ECU next week and for 9/12!!!!!
Official seating capacity is now 21,650.

lizrdgizrd
August 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM

Let's just paint it green. xlolx

EmeryZach
August 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
Such as the turf and lights? xeyebrowx

I meant to the structure. And those were done before the economic meltdown.

AppMan
August 31st, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the update. Looks really classy for a bunch of mountain heathens.

Boone can't handle the storm water they get now --- not a very good idea to make an existing unmanageable problem into a future financial and economic nightmare.

Boone needs to build up --- not out.

I don't think there would be a storm water problem with the land adjacent to the new soccer stadium.

wafflehouse48
August 31st, 2009, 08:19 PM

I thought that was just a given?

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 09:11 PM
dude a track is 1000000000000 times uglier then a few markings on the field, people are use to multi purpose fields from the pro's and highschool etc. your track is fugly xrotatehx

ha so youre telling me a track is uglier than a football field with a baseball field on it? hhahahahahahahahaha

and.............people are used to high school fields with markings for multi-use, but not used to seeing highschool fields with tracks around them? uh huh

KiddBrewer
August 31st, 2009, 09:13 PM

ha thats what i say, maybe everybody wouldnt cry when they got to the game and saw that god awful track!xeekx

SideLine Shooter
August 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM
All this talk about the track is CRAP. If ASU got rid of the track there would be no place for the GSU band.xlolxxlolxxlolx

Maroon&White
August 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM
I meant to the structure. And those were done before the economic meltdown.

And what is wrong with the structure that needs work?

Jaguar05
August 31st, 2009, 10:35 PM
The Rock looks great!!! Real nice looking place and I don't have a problem with the track..maybe its because I'm use to ours at Mumford..

ASU_MBA
August 31st, 2009, 11:02 PM

Rather have a 'fugly track' than a horrible team in a horrible conference...

Didn't you guys play in our stadium with that fugly track when the committee gave you a token playoff berth?

Yeah the only thing fuglier than the track was the score... xsmiley_wix

JMU DUUUKES
September 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM
sorry..meant stadium. app's education at its best

See thats the kind of post I can appreciate, making fun of your own stereotypes. We all know we go to good schools. Too much hate on this board, ha.

MasonJar
September 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM

I see a red track and I want to paint it black!

-Sorry Stones...:o

andy7171
September 1st, 2009, 08:54 AM
OK, I'll politely ask, why is it called the rock?

Black_Saturday
September 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM
'Cause it's built into the side of a mountain.

Saint3333
September 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
There is a large rock bed under the stadium, which proved difficult during construction. Not sure the date when ASU started calling it the Rock, probably late 90's. Today there's a large boulder out front by the ticket plaza and the last piece of ASU's intro is Sean Connery (as well as most of the stadium) saying Welcome to the Rock. One of the best venues to watch an FCS game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lqczjzmj_M

biggie
September 1st, 2009, 11:00 AM
There is a large rock bed under the stadium, which proved difficult during construction. Not sure the date when ASU started calling it the Rock, probably late 90's. Today there's a large boulder out front by the ticket plaza and the last piece of ASU's intro is Sean Connery (as well as most of the stadium) saying Welcome to the Rock. One of the best venues to watch an FCS game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lqczjzmj_M
If you are going to do that one, have to have this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0DUU_Hvlg&NR=1

89Hen
September 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
If you are going to do that one, have to have this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0DUU_Hvlg&NR=1
Full body paint and then you put on a parka? xeyebrowx xconfusedx xeyebrowx :p

biggie
September 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM
Full body paint and then you put on a parka? xeyebrowx xconfusedx xeyebrowx :p
He was too skinny, not enough 'padding'. Probalby was below freezing though.

89Hen
September 1st, 2009, 11:10 AM
He was too skinny, not enough 'padding'. Probalby was below freezing though.
I can empathize. But then again, that's why I don't body paint. :p

biggie
September 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
I can empathize. But then again, that's why I don't body paint. :p
Nobody wants to see me with my shirt off, with or without paint.

parr90
September 1st, 2009, 03:47 PM
That's its listed capacity... we pack them in in the student section and on the hill. Attendance record set last year was just short of 31,000... hopefully it will be broken again this year.

I was speaking of seating. We could seat thousands on our hilsides as well. Your picture looks like there are more than 21,000 in stadium seating. I guess thats a good thing. Troys only seats about 26,000 but looks much bigger. I walked around their new stadium and you would think its about 35,000.

MarchingMountaineer
September 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM

Surprisingly, I already knew about bulldozers and can usually recognize them by the noises they make. I happened to like the natural look of the valley.

Incidentally, when I attended, the soccer games had bigger turn outs than the football games (and made the cover of SI), and ASU track was has won more conference championships than the football program.

proasu89
September 1st, 2009, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=wcucat85;1392253]By the way I have two younger brothers who attended App so I hear about all this all the time...ALLL THE TIME...............I had a free ride so I went to Western...............[/QUOTE

xeyebrowx My roommates older brother played at WCU and had a younger brother come to App as well. Hmmm.

Aho_Old_Guy
September 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
Surprisingly, I already knew about bulldozers and can usually recognize them by the noises they make. I happened to like the natural look of the valley.

Incidentally, when I attended, the soccer games had bigger turn outs than the football games (and made the cover of SI), and ASU track was has won more conference championships than the football program.

xsmiley_wix

When your soccer team consists of the core of the Nigerian Olympic soccer team (even 30+ years ago) they would draw quite a crowd.

Thompson Usiyan (with all respect to AE) was simply the most incredible athlete I've ever seen at Appalachian.

I used to hang with 'Mike Sumnazu' (I know I butchered that). We kinda corrupted him---LOL. He couldn't play b-ball worth a dang; was a master bricklayer BUT if you lobbed the ball to him he was money hitting a header off the backboard through the rim!

They weren't real big on the school song or the national anthem but when you guys played the "Bugler's Dream" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwqE1QeyxM8) they were into it xthumbsupx

AppMan
September 1st, 2009, 11:11 PM

Glad you are familiar with those new fangled machines. I was in school during the Vaughn Christian era as well. The soccer team was featured in a story in SI, but did not make the cover. I know because I still have it. I went to a lot of soccer games (even traveled to Clemson for the NCAA tournament game) and they were attended well, but ASU never drew anywhere close 10,000 people (which was then Conrad Stadium's seating capacity back then) for a soccer match. There is a whole lot of natural beauty surrounding Boone and putting a track facility out by the soccer stadium won't devastate the landscape.

AppMan
September 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM
OK, I'll politely ask, why is it called the rock?

Because former ASU play by play announcer Mike Waddell (then Director of ASU's Media Relations) made a reference to KBS being like Alcatraz because it was such a difficult place for opposing teams to play. He used the term "The Rock" during a game broadcast and it stuck. On the next year's media guide he began showing the team standing on huge boulders and on the back used the phrase Welcome to the Rock.

KiddBrewer
September 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM

that made me chuckle a little to myselfxthumbsupxxlolx

Skjellyfetti
September 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2009/09/08/23/asustadium0909.ART0_G06OVGH6.1+MBB_0161.JPG.embedd ed.prod_affiliate.138.jpg

Appalachian State football arrives at a new place this week in Boone.

After years of dreaming, an extensive fund-raising campaign and two years of construction, the new Kidd Brewer Stadium complex will come to life this week, making its public debut Saturday when the No.2-ranked Mountaineers (0-1) host No.16 McNeese State (1-0) at 3:30 p.m.

Towering over the stadium's west side, the new 120,000-square-foot complex has transformed the Mountaineers' football home. While the stadium – nicknamed The Rock – still sits 3,333 feet above sea level, it has an entirely new look.

“I was talking to a Dallas Cowboys scout recently and I told him we were going to have one of the better facilities in (the Football Championship Subdivision),” said Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore, whose school's enrollment is 16,600. “The guy said it's one of the top 40 facilities in the United States.

“Every day I see it, I believe it.”

The new building will include the football locker room, team meeting areas, the coaches' offices, a 9,000-square-foot weight room for all students, a 9,000-square-foot training/hydrotherapy room for students, study hall space, 18 luxury suites, a 600-seat Yosef Club suite and a new press box.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/935281.html

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Cannot freakin' wait for October 24th xthumbsupx

CamelCityAppFan
September 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM
All this talk about the track in the stadium bores me. Why can't people understand that we need the track...it provides a smooth stable surface for us to wheel out the National Championship trophies and display them to the 28,000+ fans in attendance.

parr90
September 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
All this talk about the track in the stadium bores me. Why can't people understand that we need the track...it provides a smooth stable surface for us to wheel out the National Championship trophies and display them to the 28,000+ fans in attendance.

Yeah I know what you mean but it would take to long for us to get all of our trophies out on the field so we just have flags.

proasu89
September 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Yeah I know what you mean but it would take to long for us to get all of our trophies out on the field so we just have flags.

Plus, somebody might drop one and mess it up.xthumbsupx

AppIAA
September 10th, 2009, 09:08 AM

They had trophies back then? It was such a long time ago playoffs were even a thought in the stink, let alone trophies ;)

Anyways, I CANT WAIT FOR THIS SATURDAY!

The Moody1
September 10th, 2009, 09:36 AM

True. You have to be very careful with antiques. :D

Skjellyfetti
September 10th, 2009, 11:12 PM
xeekxxnodxxeekxxnodxxeekxxnodxxeekxxnodxxeekxxnodx xeekxxnodx
http://www.goasu.com//pics24/640/UZ/UZMIUAQBPOBXMKH.20090911014237.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics22/640/SR/SRLFMPWWNYXUITK.20090911014133.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics21/640/UB/UBIZCEMXJJMPXAZ.20090911014151.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics11/800/CL/CLVEWUICTRPFJSE.20090911014146.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics24/640/CG/CGJBEIGVZFFESTX.20090911014142.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics22/640/PR/PRQQMIEKMJDNNOV.20090911014233.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics22/481/CX/CXBJTJQDSKOBSEY.20090911014202.jpg

http://www.goasu.com//pics10/640/XO/XOVAPEIPUQMOTRM.20090911014156.jpg