PDA

View Full Version : FCS-FBS game of the week

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Since it seems like the good OOC games for FCS-FCS games are few and far in between...

BEAR
August 29th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Da Bears at the Rainbow Warriors. Homer pick. LOL xnodxxlolx

ericsaid
August 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
App and ECU. I have a feeling the poll will be leaning that way anyway but for me this game is huge.

BEAR
August 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
App and ECU. I have a feeling the poll will be leaning that way anyway but for me this game is huge.

Um....more App voters? I think so. Yeah, more app voters. xnodxxlolx

Gil Dobie
August 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Homer pick, NDSU vs Iowa St

Uncle Buck
August 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I bucked the early trend here and went with the Nova game. I kept getting pulled to it by knowing how good the cats are supposed to be, and i'm intrigued to see how they take it to their neighbors at Temple.

kirkblitz
August 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM
CCU vs Kent State

because ccu actually has a shot at a win

Hoyadestroya85
August 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I honestly don't know why you wouldn't pick Villanova vs. Temple.. I can understand picking App St. and ECU but here is my rationale for proving i'm not a homer in voting for Villanova and Temple.

The Schools are 10 miles from each other.
They're rivals in virtually every other sport.
They're playing for a TROPHY.
The game has an official title.
It's being played in an NFL stadium.
Villanova is a consensus top 5 team in the FCS and Temple is on the rise.
This is not a one off, the game is going to be played several more years.
There is some genuine hatred between the two fan bases.

Jag4Life
August 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
My Jags against ULL

Uncle Buck
August 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I honestly don't know why you wouldn't pick Villanova vs. Temple.. I can understand picking App St. and ECU but here is my rationale for proving i'm not a homer in voting for Villanova and Temple.

The Schools are 10 miles from each other.
They're rivals in virtually every other sport.
They're playing for a TROPHY.
The game has an official title.
It's being played in an NFL stadium.
Villanova is a consensus top 5 team in the FCS and Temple is on the rise.
This is not a one off, the game is going to be played several more years.
There is some genuine hatred between the two fan bases.

I think some of your points are valid, but others are just not important to generating interest in a game.

Yes the geographic rivalry is nice, I had no idea the game was named anything or that there was a trophy involved. Not a big deal about playing in a mostly empty NFL stadium, but the direction of both programs is of interest. Outside of the basketball rivalry from a non-nova fan, i wouldn't know that it is such a bitter rivalry across all sports, especially football that plays at two different levels.

Not being negative, i mean i picked it as my game of the week that i would like to see, but a lot of that other stuff is more important to nova fans.

AppStateold299
August 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I know this is my homer pick because I'm an App fan but it is huge for me. I can't wait to get the season started.

JohnStOnge
August 29th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I picked Southern at ULL because I consider that game to hold the biggest potential for an FCS win and the atmosphere going in will be electric. ULL, historically, is 29 - 20 against I-AA/FCS teams. The average score has been ULL 24, I-AA/FCS 20. Over the past 10 seasons ULL was 6-4 against I-AA/FCS, with the avertage score being ULL 28, I-AA/FCS 20.

Add to that the fact that Southern is returning an ace quarterback while ULL lost a very good quarterback for their offense and the best running back they've ever had. It's going to be the first game of the season. ULL will be breaking in a new signal caller while Southern will be starting Bryant Lee.

The 31,000 seat stadium will be sold out. The only reason it won't be a ULL stadium record is that the Fire Marshall will step in. The pre game atmosphere and tailgating will be second to none.

No FCS fan base travels like Southern's. Nobody.

GeauxLions94
August 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I picked Southern at ULL because I consider that game to hold the biggest potential for an FCS win and the atmosphere going in will be electric. ULL, historically, is 29 - 20 against I-AA/FCS teams. The average score has been ULL 24, I-AA/FCS 20. Over the past 10 seasons ULL was 6-4 against I-AA/FCS, with the avertage score being ULL 28, I-AA/FCS 20.

Add to that the fact that Southern is returning an ace quarterback while ULL lost a very good quarterback for their offense and the best running back they've ever had. It's going to be the first game of the season. ULL will be breaking in a new signal caller while Southern will be starting Bryant Lee.

The 31,000 seat stadium will be sold out. The only reason it won't be a ULL stadium record is that the Fire Marshall will step in. The pre game atmosphere and tailgating will be second to none.

I picked Southern-ULL as well (over Nova-Temple) for the in-state homer pick. Either way, good chance for both FCS' to come out with a W

eaglesrback
August 29th, 2009, 08:12 PM
CCU vs Kent State

because ccu actually has a shot at a win

PAWLEZZ!CCUgets destroyed.

Jag4Life
August 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks!!

Maroons
August 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Seeing as how there is no criteria listed as for how we should pick the game of the week, I voted other: EKU at IU on Thursday night.

UNIFanSince1983
August 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I had to vote for other, because I had to homer vote UNI vs Iowa!!

joecooll6
August 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm suprised UNI vs. Iowa isnt on there, although I guess Iowa is pretty highly rated so the chances of an upset arent high.

NDSU vs. Iowa State should be on there tho. Thats a winnable game for the Bison.

Hoyadestroya85
August 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I think some of your points are valid, but others are just not important to generating interest in a game.

Yes the geographic rivalry is nice, I had no idea the game was named anything or that there was a trophy involved. Not a big deal about playing in a mostly empty NFL stadium, but the direction of both programs is of interest. Outside of the basketball rivalry from a non-nova fan, i wouldn't know that it is such a bitter rivalry across all sports, especially football that plays at two different levels.

Not being negative, i mean i picked it as my game of the week that i would like to see, but a lot of that other stuff is more important to nova fans.

I know, i gave too many reasons, but the gist of it was that there is a legitimate rivalry between the two schools for various reasons i.e.: Villanova is "a rich kid school" etc. The problem with all the other games is that none of those teams consider each other rivals. Villanova and Temple have been rivals in basketball for 70 years. It's also the game that IMO has the best chance of being close, some of those other games look like they're going to be blood baths. I hate temple with every ounce of my Villanova fandom and this type of ill will is why the game should be the FCS-FBS game of the week. The fact that it has half the votes of ECU- App. St. is borderline ridiculous.

Uncle Buck
August 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'll be pulling for Nova, but a lot of times these polls are dictated by the geographic location of the person posting.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 31st, 2009, 02:58 AM
I picked UR-Duke. Duke got embarrassed a couple years ago by the Spiders 13-0. This is a game where the FBS team may actually care about beating the FCS team. And the Spiders are the reigning champs (puke) of FCS, so they have that in their favor.

Also, UR used to be I-A back in the day so there is a much longer tradition/history between these two teams.

The Villanova game also intrigues me. Many of the others just seem like homer picks.

813Jag
August 31st, 2009, 07:07 AM
I'm a Jag fan all day, but I'm unsure about how Pete will approach this game. The Defense is young so we'll see how this plays out. No predictions from me.

Tribe4SF
August 31st, 2009, 07:26 AM
Had to go with my Tribe at Virginia. 33rd meeting in this series that dates to 1908 featuring the two premiere academic institutions of the Virginia public system. The schools haven't met since 1995, and W&M hasn't won since 1986.

DX Man
August 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Best of luck to all the FCS teams, but I went with my Mountaineers xthumbsupx

JMU Newbill
August 31st, 2009, 12:14 PM
I'll be pulling for Nova, but a lot of times these polls are dictated by the geographic location of the person posting.

Agreed.

I think the games with the most realistic chance to be close are the Villanova vs. Temple game and the UR vs. Duke game. Therefore, those are the ones I will be paying attention to (week 1 anyway).

Looking forward to tailgating at Maryland for the JMU game during week 2, although I do not expect a win.

I-AA Fan
August 31st, 2009, 12:23 PM
Homer pick, NDSU vs Iowa St

not a homer pick at all. I like Nova vs. Temple, then SIU vs. Marshall, then NDSU vs. ISU.

ps: Kent St. is no walk-over.

darell1976
August 31st, 2009, 12:48 PM
I gotta go with UND at Texas Tech....GO SIOUX!!!!!

technocat
August 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
MSU vs MSU!

I really think MSU has a chance to win this one!

Big Al
August 31st, 2009, 03:37 PM
UNI v Iowa for me.

I don't think UNI will pull the upset, but if they do, think ASU v UM circa 2007. UNI's ability to stay competitive in this game will foreshadow how deep they can get in the playoffs.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM
I went Samford-UCF.

UCF is at best a middle of the road C-USA team - should be a competitive match up.