PDA

View Full Version : Cohen to Hofstra...

ChickenMan
December 10th, 2005, 12:48 PM
if the $$$ are right. From the UD board... UD defensive co-ordinator Dave Cohen is ready to accept the Hofstra job... if his salary demands are met. A decision is expected early next week.

blukeys
December 10th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Hate to lose Cohen but this is probably the best move for him. He turned down Fordham and you can't keep turning down Head coaching Jobs without a penalty. Can we get coach BO back from Maryland as a DC?

GannonFan
December 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Rumors from good sources of a player's meeting this morning at Delaware to say that Cohen is indeed going to take the coaching job at Hofstra.

89Hen
December 12th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Sucks for us, but good for Cohen, I guess.... defense at Hofstra... hmmmm :eyebrow: interesting concept. :p

OL FU
December 12th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Sucks for us, but good for Cohen, I guess.... defense at Hofstra... hmmmm :eyebrow: interesting concept. :p

Damn, just in time for '07 against us :mad:

Uncle Buck
December 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Damn, just in time for '07 against us :mad:

We could have used a little defense against you guys earlier this year, that was a hell of a game. Hopefully he can also recruit on offense, we need a QB who can play with more consistency. I'm looking forward to a new energy around the program.

GannonFan
December 12th, 2005, 02:22 PM
It's official - UD's Defensive Coordinator Dave Cohen is now the new head coach at Hofstra. On the UD side they are moving the current d-line coach up to the coordinator spot and they are giving the o-line coach the extra title of assistant head coach. UD needs to replace a d-backs coach still who left earlier for The Citadel, but that's a minor spot.

Cohen Accepts Hofstra HC Job (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051212/NEWS/51212005)

JoltinJoe
December 12th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Hate to lose Cohen but this is probably the best move for him. He turned down Fordham and you can't keep turning down Head coaching Jobs without a penalty. Can we get coach BO back from Maryland as a DC?

Cohen was not offered the Fordham job. He was one of a number of guys under consideration and he removed himself from further consideration.

Uncle Buck
December 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what changes he'll bring to Hofstra. Very young in comparison to Gardi, I can only imagine his style will be very different.

Husky Alum
December 12th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Buck -

I was told by parents of NU FB players many times over the past two seasons that Cohen was the players choice at NU when they hired Hager, and they loved his enthusiasm. I think you've got a real good on there.

Lafalumni29
December 12th, 2005, 07:48 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what changes he'll bring to Hofstra. Very young in comparison to Gardi, I can only imagine his style will be very different.
He's a relentless recruiter and I expect he'll accept nothing less from his assistants. he's Some say he alone was responsible for bringing the athletes in to Fordham when they had their two year run at the top of the PL. Question is who wil he bring in as assistants? His brother?

zymergy
December 13th, 2005, 01:31 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051213/SPORTS07/512130319/1002

NEWARK -- Dave Cohen landed the head football coach's job at Hofstra University by working on the University of Delaware's behalf. His success at Hofstra will be partially measured by what he does at the Blue Hens' expense.

HENJOHN
December 13th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Uncle Buck, you will love this guy. Great recruiter, coach and a good teacher. The keys will be what his Offensive approach is and what kind of staff he puts together. He is also a former DT like yourself!!!!

Leopard's Claw
December 13th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Enthusiastic? Players Coach? I was on the sideline at Lafayette in the early 90's when Cohen (then D-line coach) was so fired up over a great play that he headbutted the player as he ran off the field- who still had his helmet on! Cohen is the closest thing IAA could have to a genetic splice of Madden & Cower....Congrats to both Dave & Hofstra football (not to mention the players there on getting one helluva a coach)

RadMann
December 13th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Darn, UD is losing so many coaches... Maybe Tubby can come back as a special assistant... ;)

blukeys
December 13th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Darn, UD is losing so many coaches... Maybe Tubby can come back as a special assistant... ;)

Agreed good programs lose good assistants and we have lost more than our share. On the other hand, It is never a bad thing for your program to be recognized as being a place that can advance your career. I'm sure that KC has no shortage of applicants that would like to land in Newark as DC.

JoltinJoe
December 14th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Here's the New York Times story on the Stony Brook/Hofstra hirings.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/14/sports/ncaafootball/14coach.ready.html

Meanwhile, here's the coverage given Fordham's hiring in the paper of record:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/08/sports/ncaafootball/08fordham.html

I know many of you guys think Hofstra is the better job because of the A-10/scholarship aspect. But Hofstra gets nowhere near the press that Fordham or Columbia do in the New York area.

Because of this, I've always thought Hofstra needs to get Fordham or Columbia on its schedule. But the Lions have consistently looked the other way, and Fordham ended the Hofstra series about a decade ago in bad blood resulting from a couple of blowout games in which Hofstra ran up the score.

With Cohen now at the helm, I wonder if the better relations between the programs will allow for a rekindling of the Fordham-Hofstra series.

89Hen
December 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Fordham and Hofstra both found great coaches. :nod: