PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Predictions - Week 1

carney2
August 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
This a little early, but it's now or never for me this weekend.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Central Connecticut @ LEHIGH

FORDHAM @ Rhode Island

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS

Monmouth @ COLGATE

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne

LAFAYETTE - Bye

Fordham
August 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Lehigh
Fordham
Holy Cross
Colgate
Bucknell
Bye

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Lehigh
Fordham
Holy Cross
Colgate
Bucknell
Bye

I think a PL sweep is a bit optomistic. There will be at least one NEC over PL win, i'm just not sure which one.

crusader11
August 27th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Lehigh
URI
Holy Cross
Colgate
Bucknell

carney2
August 27th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Lehigh. The Squawk-n-eers have ducked the Marists and Sacred Hearts over the years, but have taken an apparent scheduling downturn with this one. A scrimmage?

FORDHAM @ Rhode Island
Fordham. The Rams are playing a powder puff schedule this year. (Don't need no stinkin' scholarships for these games.) The first 3 games however, should tell us if we are looking at the champs of 2007 or the bunch that stunk up the joint in 2008.

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS
Holy Cross. The Hoyas are not easing into the new season.

Monmouth @ COLGATE
Colgate. An uneasy pick since no one has any confidence in Dickie B. in week one.

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne
Duquesne. The Buffalos say they've taken a step up. Show me.

LAFAYETTE - Bye
Lafayette. Not many folks picking the Pards in this one. This is my one homer pick of the year.

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Lehigh. The Squawk-n-eers have ducked the Marists and Sacred Hearts over the years, but have taken an apparent scheduling downturn with this one. A scrimmage?

FORDHAM @ Rhode Island
Fordham. The Rams are playing a powder puff schedule this year. (Don't need no stinkin' scholarships for these games.) The first 3 games however, should tell us if we are looking at the champs of 2007 or the bunch that stunk up the joint in 2008.

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS
Holy Cross. The Hoyas are not easing into the new season.

Monmouth @ COLGATE
Colgate. An uneasy pick since no one has any confidence in Dickie B. in week one.

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne

LAFAYETTE - Bye
Lafayette. Not many folks picking the Pards in this one. This is my one homer pick of the year.

Carney Central Conn is much better than the Marist's and Duquense's of the world. Not sure they will beat Lehigh, but CCSU is a solid squad.

carney2
August 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Carney Central Conn is much better than the Marist's and Duquense's of the world. Not sure they will beat Lehigh, but CCSU is a solid squad.

Not unusual for me. Just ask the others on the Lafayette board. They'll tell you that I don't have a clue.

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Not unusual for me. Just ask the others on the Lafayette board. They'll tell you that I don't have a clue.

Neither so I really or else I would be able to pick the games. However, Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth are developing nice programs and will give our teams all they can handle or more.

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I think a PL sweep is a bit optomistic. There will be at least one NEC over PL win, i'm just not sure which one.

Smart money would be on Monmouth beating the Raiders, just given our first game history

Not saying it'll happen, or that I'll actually pick that, but just saying... xwhistlex

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Central Connecticut @ Lehigh
Lehigh. Even a three touchdown win won't be enough for the Coen critics.

Fordham @ Rhode Island
Rhode Island. If URI is going to make a statement, this is the week, given that they see three straight on the road going forward. In a close game, go with the home team in week 1.

Georgetown @ Holy Cross
Holy Cross. Hoyas 3-2 in last five season openers, but excepting Lewisburg, GU hasn't won a PL game on the road in six years. A bad loss will stir up more ill will on this board heading into the Lafayette game.

Monmouth @ Colgate
Colgate. An unpopular pick given Biddle's week one history, but the Red Raiders pull away late.

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne
Duquesne Score one for the NEC.

LBPop
August 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Georgetown @ Holy Cross
Holy Cross. Hoyas 3-2 in last five season openers, but excepting Lewisburg, GU hasn't won a PL game on the road in six years. A bad loss will stir up more ill will on this board heading into the Lafayette game.

You know, that is the truly sad part of opening with such a tough opponent after maybe the longest bus ride of the season followed by what will feel like an even longer ride home. After hearing about what will likely be a drubbing at the hands of the Crusaders, the Georgetown fan base (yes, there is one) will just assume that it will be more of the same in 2009. That will be the commentary that the players will hear from the other students as they walk around campus the following week. So the players will do what they have had to do for years--ignore the comments; "circle the wagons" as a team; and hope that the basketball talk doesn't start for a few more weeks.

I have been critical of this program for a while, but I have never lost my admiration for the young men who perservere--not for the glory, but because that's the commitment they made.

DFW HOYA
August 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have been critical of this program for a while, but I have never lost my admiration for the young men who perservere--not for the glory, but because that's the commitment they made.

Agreed. It's games like this that reminds me of the quote attributed to Jimmy Johnson when asked what his expectations of the 1989 Dallas Cowboys season was. He said "16-0". They weren't very good that year (they finished 1-15) and Johnson knew it, but he said if he didn't expect them to win, how could his players expect to?

This team needs to start getting to games and expecting to win, and let the game itself decide the outcome. Too many heads on the bench start hanging after the first opponent's score and that's like a virus on a losing team.

jimbo65
August 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Lehigh "Workman" like performance with a 10-14 point victory.

Fordham We beat them last year and the coach left after only one season. The Rams will score but will the D be effective?

Holy Cross The Hoyas will be off to a poor start, to say the least.

Colgate 17-20 point win for Raiders.

Bucknell This is the game which I am least confident. Bison get the nod since they are at home.

Why would LaFayette have a bye on week one? Did an opponent back out or drop fball.

Pards Rule
August 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I believe so but I cannot recall who it was? I'm looking forward to going to the Liberty game - first one home on Sept. 19th!!

carney2
August 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Why would LaFayette have a bye on week one? Did an opponent back out or drop fball.

We have become a bit jaded and untrusting in our dealings with the administration over athletics, but the suspicion is that it has to do with money. Doesn't everything? What money is saved? How about a one week shorter season? (You can begin preseason one week later.) That adds up to quite a few cheeseburgers that you don't have to feed the troops.

Future schedules have been published thru 2012 and the bye week continues in week 1 for all of those future years, with 2012 still up for grabs because there are 2 other "open" dates to be filled in that year.

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2009, 03:01 PM
We have become a bit jaded and untrusting in our dealings with the administration over athletics, but the suspicion is that it has to do with money. Doesn't everything? What money is saved? How about a one week shorter season? (You can begin preseason one week later.) That adds up to quite a few cheeseburgers that you don't have to feed the troops.

Future schedules have been published thru 2012 and the bye week continues in week 1 for all of those future years, with 2012 still up for grabs because there are 2 other "open" dates to be filled in that year.

Perhaps in our un-ending quest to be like the Ivies, we have also choose to start the season as late as possible just like them. Either way having a bye in the middle of the season makes infinitely more sense.

Go...gate
August 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Smart money would be on Monmouth beating the Raiders, just given our first game history

Not saying it'll happen, or that I'll actually pick that, but just saying... xwhistlex

Biddle is in good company. Vince Lombardi's teams, for some unknown reason, sometimes struggled in openers.

Go...gate
August 27th, 2009, 03:22 PM

Does Lafayette start classses later? Even if it is just a few days, sometimes that is a factor.

MDFAN
August 27th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Lehigh "Workman" like performance with a 10-14 point victory.

Fordham We beat them last year and the coach left after only one season. The Rams will score but will the D be effective?

Holy Cross The Hoyas will be off to a poor start, to say the least.

Colgate 17-20 point win for Raiders.

Bucknell This is the game which I am least confident. Bison get the nod since they are at home.

The Bison are away.... But will still win!!!

LBPop
August 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Biddle is in good company. Vince Lombardi's teams, for some unknown reason, sometimes struggled in openers.

I wonder if anyone, anywhere, at anytime has actually compared Biddle in any way to Lombardi? Hey, I'm just havin' a little fun...I would pay some serious bucks to have Biddle in DC. ;)xnodx

bison137
August 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne

1. Sagarin's final rankings last year had LU as being less than 6 points better than CCSU, so I'm not sure this is a "scrimmage".

2. BU unfortunately is missing the key to their offense, pre-season All-American Shaun Pasternak, who is out with a foot injury. Against Duquesne last year, Pasternak caught 7 passes for 166 yards and a TD, so his absence could be critical. He is worth 10 points to the Bison offense. With him, the Bison offense will definitely be better. Without him, who knows.

carney2
August 27th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Does Lafayette start classses later? Even if it is just a few days, sometimes that is a factor.

No. Follow the money.

ngineer
August 27th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Lehigh will win solidly, but not a blow out. Something like 32-17.

Fordham will come out to make a statement rather than a question and win 27-17

Colgate could be 'upset' in this one as others have pointed out their slow starts in years past. Still , you can't bet against the Raiders in this one. 24-17

Bison have had trouble with the Dukes in the past and will again. I see the Bison going down, without Pasternak, 20-17.

Unless, the 'saders commit a bunch of opening game jittery mistakes, this could be ugly. HC 42-10.

Laughteryette doesn't 'sell' out to 'buy' in a 'laugher'....

RichH2
August 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I hesitate to pick all PL but that appears likely.
LU should wear down CCSU but expect a vanilla O and D solid win but no big numbers

HC , FU easy wins, Tough opener for GU BU closer call but a win , everyone healthy for now

flea
August 31st, 2009, 04:25 AM
Lehigh
Fordham
Holy Cross
Colgate
Bucknell

ColgateTD
August 31st, 2009, 10:27 AM
CCS - better than you folks are thinking...
URI - Fordham hasn't got it's mojo back from 2007..
HC - Randolph too much for Hoyas (sorry DFW)...
Colgate - on shaky ground with annual first game jitters...homer choice
Duquesne - No Pasternak and an away game sink Bison...

turbodean
August 31st, 2009, 12:46 PM
URI - Fordham hasn't got it's mojo back from 2007..

Wishful thinking TD, I think we'll be on a 2 game roll by the time we get to Hamilton.

TheValleyRaider
August 31st, 2009, 01:05 PM

Central Connecticut at Lehigh Lehigh CCSU is a pretty solid program that has grown over the last few years. I'm taking the Hawks at home mostly because I think they're going to be pretty good this year. This will be an interesting measuring stick prior to the Villanova game

Fordham at Rhode Island Fordham Annual battle of the Rams goes to Fordham again. URI seems to be in a bit of a lurch with a coaching change for the 2nd straight year

Georgetown at Holy Cross Holy Cross Crusaders begin the march to a PL title in Worcester. Dom Randolph's farewell tour has what looks to be a fairly forgiving opener

Monmouth at Colgate Colgate Surprise! Homer pick! The Raiders struggle in their openers with Biddle, but did beat a solid Albany squad two years ago. Right now, I'm betting the '09 Raiders are better than the '07 Raiders, and the '09 Hawks aren't as good as the '07 Danes

Bucknell at Duquesne Bucknell A bit of a PL homer pick. Yes the Bison are missing Pasternak, but if they've been building the program as well as some of their backers suggest, the Dukes are a team they should beat, even on the road

aceinthehole
August 31st, 2009, 02:06 PM
Serious questions for those picking Lehigh over CCSU.

Does a CCSU win blow up the entire season for the Hawks? Heading 0-1 into a game at Villanova isn't a very good start to the season.

This isn't smack, but I'm wondering if PL fans think a loss for Lehigh crushes any hopes of an at-large spot? Basically is this a "must win" for Lehigh?

Same question could apply to 'Gate/Monmouth too.

carney2
August 31st, 2009, 02:19 PM

Does a CCSU win blow up the entire season for the Hawks? Heading 0-1 into a game at Villanova isn't a very good start to the season.

This isn't smack, but I'm wondering if PL fans think a loss for Lehigh crushes any hopes of an at-large spot? Basically is this a "must win" for Lehigh?

There will NOT be any at large bids coming out of the Patriot League. You can take that to the bank.

A loss to CCSU would send many (most) Lehigh fans to their local sporting goods store for a handgun and one bullet. Whether they then use it on coach Andy Coen or themselves will be a personal decision.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2009, 02:36 PM
A loss to CCSU would send many (most) Lehigh fans to their local sporting goods store for a handgun and one bullet. Whether they then use it on coach Andy Coen or themselves will be a personal decision.

If true, that's because folks don't understand that CCSU is actually a pretty damned good football team. I'll hold off on my PL predictions for now - they'll be up on the blog on Friday, and the Lehigh predicition probably on Thursday - but you can rest assured that I won't be picking Lehigh by two touchdowns.

I'm pretty sure Lafayette won't lose this weekend, though.

TheValleyRaider
August 31st, 2009, 02:37 PM

Well, in the eyes of many Lehigh fans, it likely will destroy their season and spell the end of Andy Coen's time at the helm. For the team itself? I'll have no reason to believe what kind of effect it'll have on them. If team leadership isn't strong, if it causes the players to tune out the coach or anything like that, then yes it will likely ruin their season. To be fair, though, if those things are probable, they're likely one loss from falling apart anywhere along the road, not just CCSU.

Does it spell the end of an at-large? I say no. As discussed in the other PL Prediction thread, record counts, and (fair or not) a good record in from a team in an autobid conference will get looked upon favorably. If Lehigh goes 8-3, starting 0-2 and losing to, say, HC who wins the PL, then they are squarely on the bubble having won 8 of their last 9 and solidly 2nd in an autobid conference. Unless there are 8 truly compelling selections other than the Hawks, in that instance I bet they're off the bubble and into the field of 16. Really, it depends on how the season plays out not just for Lehigh, but around the nation as well. So many times, at-large births are relative to the competition in question, not the resume as we percieve it in preseason

In spite of the homer pick, I almost expect Colgate to lose to Monmouth. The Raiders under Biddle are a team that improves as the season goes along (see 2005 xsmiley_wix), so I don't expect that a loss there will have any lasting effects on the season outside of potential injuries

Ivytalk
August 31st, 2009, 04:07 PM
Lehigh will win solidly, but not a blow out. Something like 32-17.

Fordham will come out to make a statement rather than a question and win 27-17

Colgate could be 'upset' in this one as others have pointed out their slow starts in years past. Still , you can't bet against the Raiders in this one. 24-17

Bison have had trouble with the Dukes in the past and will again. I see the Bison going down, without Pasternak, 20-17.

Unless, the 'saders commit a bunch of opening game jittery mistakes, this could be ugly. HC 42-10.

I agree with these picks, but not necessarily with the puns!:p

ngineer
August 31st, 2009, 04:30 PM
An 0-2 Lehigh start will be a deathknell to the season IF there is no leadership and the team does not have the character many of us think it has. Close losses to both CCSU and Villanova should not be season killers, even for at at-large bid, so long as the Moutain Hawks win strong in 8 of the 9 games that would remain.

Fordham
August 31st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Colgate opening with a loss or starting slow will mean nothing other than a typical start for the Raiders. Expect them to finish very strong regardless of how they open the season.

A rough start for Lehigh could be much more damaging imo since Coen has never completely turned the corner despite taking a good peak around it at the end of last season. That finish has expectations pretty high for the first time in years and a big stumble could really leave a mark imo.

dawwggboy
August 31st, 2009, 06:49 PM
Carney you are the best LOL!!!

There will NOT be any at large bids coming out of the Patriot League. You can take that to the bank.

ngineer
August 31st, 2009, 10:00 PM

He's a 'high caliber' Pard, that one....;)

breezy
September 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM
Lehigh wins
Fordham wins
Colgate wins
Bucknell wins
Holy Cross wins
Lafayette does not win (but does not lose either)

Should be a good opening weekend for the PL (except for Georgetown).

Engineer91
September 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM
LEHIGH
FORDHAM
HOLY CROSS
COLGATE
Duquesne

Go...gate
September 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Lehigh 21, CCSU 16

Fordham 30, URI 24

Holy Cross 33, Georgetown 10

Colgate 23, Monmouth 20 (homer pick - Monmouth has a great chance)

Duquesne 19, Bucknell 14

Lafayette 3, Bye 2 (a defensive struggle)

ngineer
September 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Lehigh 21, CCSU 16

Fordham 30, URI 24

Holy Cross 33, Georgetown 10

Colgate 23, Monmouth 20 (homer pick - Monmouth has a great chance)

Duquesne 19, Bucknell 14

Lafayette 3, Bye 2 (a defensive struggle)

".....get one free!";):D

LUHawker
September 1st, 2009, 01:09 PM
Lehigh 28 - CCSU 18 - Accusations of "homer" pick notwithstanding, the finish last year, the spring game and the tone from Coen and team in training camp bode well for a Lehigh squad on the rise. CCSU is no slouch, but I think CCSU's running game strength is well matched by LU's run defense. Also, I think the LU offense should continue, and be improved from last year's with a more diverse playbook and a stable of running backs.

URI 24 - Fordham 21 - I'm taking the Rams in this one. Actually, I'm not sold that Fordham will "bounce" back from last year and be the type of team they were 2 yrs ago.

Colgate 31 - Monmouth 24 - What to make of the Raiders this year? Loss of Jordan and O-line pose problems, but replaced by Eachus. Solid QB and receiver make Colgate a big-play threat, but Colgate's historical success has come from a power running game and grinding teams down. Not sure that formula holds this year.

HC 42 - G'Town 14 - Dom and company light up G'Town and then go easy. We probably don't get any further insight into either team here.

Duquense 24 - Bucknell - 21 - The Bison aren't oiled well-enough yet.

Lafayette - the cost-savings scheduling hurts LC's battle-readiness

LEHIGH61
September 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
I think Lehigh will have a solid team this season, but Central Connecticut has to be reckoned with. CCSU has a veteran team, so Lehigh better be ready. The first comment was from someone who really doesn't know his football.

LEHIGH61
September 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM
Ducked Marist and Sacred Heart? Give me a break! Mr. 2 one point squeakers to win a title.

LUHawker
September 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Ducked Marist and Sacred Heart? Give me a break! Mr. 2 one point squeakers to win a title.

Easy there Brown & White compadre. Carney2 was actually noting that Lehigh has avoided scheduling "the little sisters of the poor" (ie Marist and Sacred Heart) unlike some of our PL brethren including his alma mater.

I agree that CCSU plays real football and shouldn't be overlooked.

Since Carney is actually an LC guy, the 2 one point squeakers comment is misdirected.

Here's to hoping that Lehigh puts together the type of season we LUers are all hoping for and we won't have to worry about 1-pt losses.

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
Easy there Brown & White compadre. Carney2 was actually noting that Lehigh has avoided scheduling "the little sisters of the poor" (ie Marist and Sacred Heart) unlike some of our PL brethren including his alma mater.

I agree that CCSU plays real football and shouldn't be overlooked.

Since Carney is actually an LC guy, the 2 one point squeakers comment is misdirected.

Here's to hoping that Lehigh puts together the type of season we LUers are all hoping for and we won't have to worry about 1-pt losses.

Lafayette and Lehigh schedule "those type" teams with about equal frequency. Lafayette has started with Marist the last several years, but not this year. Lehigh has played Drake, Monmouth, Albany, and now CCSU- these games were intended to be cupcakes IMO, but they all didnt or wont shake out that way.

Lafayette has no pioneer or NEC teams on the schedule this year. It is the Ivies and Liberty.

carney2
September 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM

Are you listening, KenZ? Are you taking notes? Are you envious?

carney2
September 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
The first comment was from someone who really doesn't know his football.

That would be me.

Ditto.

There ya go, KenZ, one of your fellow travelers has checked in.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2009, 05:22 PM

He's a 'high caliber' Pard, that one....;)

".....get one free!";):D

Look out everyone, ngineer's on a roll xlolx xlolx xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Went 47-12 overall and 17-3 in PL play last year. I was 17-0 heading in to the last week.

Lehigh 31 CCSU 13: Put up or shut up time. The coach, the team, the fans are all confident. Now it's time to back that belief up with action.

Fordham 35 URI 24: Fordham should be able to beat the usual CAA bottom feeder. I'm not sure how FU's defense will be but their offense should put up points.

Colgate 24 Monmouth 20: Colgate seems to struggle in openers for some reason. Much like Lehigh, if Colgate is legit they should be able to take out a solid NEC team at home.

Duquesne 42 Bucknell 35: I'll go with a shootout in this one. I don't know what to make of either team other than they're probably dead equal. Plus i can't go with a perfect PL weekend.

Holy Cross 52 Georgetown 10: Randolph gets 410 and 5 in 40 minutes of work.

ngineer
September 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Look out everyone, ngineer's on a roll xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hey, I've just finished my 'two a-days' and am ready for the kickoff!:D

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Hey, I've just finished my 'two a-days' and am ready for the kickoff!:D

Two puns a day, maybe.

(rimshot)

carney2
September 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Here is the current (Wednesday) official line for week 1 PL games:

LEHIGH 12 1/2 over Central Connecticut

Rhode Island 1 1/2 over FORDHAM

HOLY CROSS 30 over GEORGETOWN

COLGATE 14 over Monmouth

BUCKNELL 2 1/2 over Duquesne

turbodean
September 2nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Here is the current (Wednesday) official line for week 1 PL games:

LEHIGH 12 1/2 over Central Connecticut

Rhode Island 1 1/2 over FORDHAM

HOLY CROSS 30 over GEORGETOWN

COLGATE 14 over Monmouth

BUCKNELL 2 1/2 over Duquesne

I'll take the dog and points in every one of those.

Ken_Z
September 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Are you listening, KenZ? Are you taking notes? Are you envious?

awww, you miss me and want me to come out and play. don't worry carney, i'll be back soon.

Pard94
September 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
This a little early, but it's now or never for me this weekend.

FORDHAM @ Rhode Island

GEORGETOWN @ HOLY CROSS

Monmouth @ COLGATE

BUCKNELL @ Duquesne

LAFAYETTE - Bye

LEHIGH - 21-17. I think this game will be a lot closer than most seem to. This will in no way dampen the Lehigh fans unbridled enthusiasm for the Moutnain Hawks however. I'm sure a tough, close win will be part of their master plan. Don't want to waste momentum, energy and sheer talent afterall.xrolleyesx

FORDHAM - 21-7. I'm giving a two touchdown advantage to the stud QB from the Bronx.

HOLY CROSS - 38-10. Poor poor Georgetown. I so badly want you to do well...but it aint happening this weekend.

MONMOUTH - 17-14. Tough tough game here I think. Colgate will stub their toes a couple of times this year. Generally they are good enough not to stub them when it really counts.

DUQUESNE - 21-7. Buccknell remains the persona non grata of the PL.

LAFAYETTE - 7-0. I am aware that the Pards don't play until next week. That being said the opponent next week is Georgetown and the scoring has already started.

ngineer
September 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
LEHIGH - 21-17. I think this game will be a lot closer than most seem to. This will in no way dampen the Lehigh fans unbridled enthusiasm for the Moutnain Hawks however. I'm sure a tough, close win will be part of their master plan. Don't want to waste momentum, energy and sheer talent afterall.xrolleyesx

FORDHAM - 21-7. I'm giving a two touchdown advantage to the stud QB from the Bronx.

HOLY CROSS - 38-10. Poor poor Georgetown. I so badly want you to do well...but it aint happening this weekend.

MONMOUTH - 17-14. Tough tough game here I think. Colgate will stub their toes a couple of times this year. Generally they are good enough to stub them when it really counts.

DUQUESNE - 21-7. Buccknell remains the persona non grata of the PL.

LAFAYETTE - 7-0. I am aware that the Pards don't play until next week. That being said the opponent next week is Georgetown and the scoring has already started.

Been to coed dorms, I see...;)

Pard94
September 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
[/B]

Been to coed dorms, I see...;)

Nope. The last coed I dated ended up being my wife. She frowns upon further coed fratrinization. Go figure.xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I'll compile my Patriot League picks here, for everyone's reading enjoyment.

Sources:
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/game-preview-central-connecticut-state.html
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/03/the-csn-way-upsets?blog=5

CCSU at Lehigh: This will come down to Lehigh's rushing "D". Can they slow down the CCSU rushing machine? I think they will. Can the Lehigh offense make hay against the Blue Devil "D"? I'm less sure. Will a loud, partisan crowd be the difference? I think it will be.

Lehigh 21, Central Connecticut State 17

Georgetown at No. 25 Holy Cross: Holy Cross is back in the Top 25, thanks to the play last year of quarterback Dominc Randolph (3,838 yards passing, 34 TDs). If there’s a question about head coach Tom Gilmore’s Crusaders, it’s this: Who’s going to be at the other end of those passes? Two senior wideouts, two senior running backs and last year’s starting tight end are gone, and there’s a lot of offensive cogs that need replacing.

The Hoyas should prove to a good indication as to who will step up for Holy Cross. Georgetown, still struggling to put a together successful offense, features an above-average defense (led by safety Chris Rau) but shouldn’t slow Randolph much. THe first of many high-scoring Crusaders games starts Saturday.

Dom-Inating Dom 55, Hoya Boyas 10

Monmouth at Colgate: Coach Dick Biddle’s crew, notoriously slow starters, will be tested against running back David Sinisi and Monmouth, who (like Albany) desperately need this win to have a chance at a playoff spot. Colgate’s Nate Eachus, who filled in so admirably for all-World running back Jordan Scott last year, will run the ball behind Colgate’s revamped offensive line: but it won’t be enough.

Sinisi-itis 28, Red Raiders 21

BONUS PICKS:

Fordham at Rhode Island: In this "Which Rams Reign Supreme?" battle, this one is so hard to handicap. Is Fordham QB John Skelton as good as all that? Is Rhode Island's new offense going to be all that? I'd prefer not to pick the game at all, frankly, and take a mulligan. My gut tells me to take Fordham, who will be playing with great confidence following an eventful offseason. That said, I'm going against my gut: URI needs this win more than Fordham. I'm taking URI.

Blue Rams 28, Red Rams 25

Bucknell at Duquesne: People forget last year's game was a real barn-burner, with Bucknell getting a huge blowout lead and very nearly losing it all in a 38-35 win. Again, I think Duqesne needs this win more than Bucknell, and with Pasternak's foot in a cast it's hard to envision the Bison winning a shootout again this year. I think the Dukes win.

The Other Dukes 31, The Original Bison 21

bison137
September 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Bucknell at Duquesne: People forget last year's game was a real barn-burner, with Bucknell getting a huge blowout lead and very nearly losing it all in a 38-35 win.

It was a shootout, but the score was actually 48-42. Probably not quite as close as that sounds, since it was 48-14 in the fourth quarter and Duq scored their final TD in the last few seconds, but still a lot closer than it should have been. BU's DC is way too conservative, considering their lack of a pass rush and so-so CB's.

The Bison can easily put up 28+ points in this game, but can the defense - especially missing leading tackler Sam Nana-Sinkhma, who is also hurt - step up and do a much better job than they did last year? Duquesne returns most of their offense, and has added a transfer WR (from Michigan State ) who was MVP of the Big 33 game a few years ago.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
It was a shootout, but the score was actually 48-42. Probably not quite as close as that sounds, since it was 48-14 in the fourth quarter and Duq scored their final TD in the last few seconds, but still a lot closer than it should have been. BU's DC is way too conservative, considering their lack of a pass rush and so-so CB's.

The Bison can easily put up 28+ points in this game, but can the defense - especially missing leading tackler Sam Nana-Sinkhma, who is also hurt - step up and do a much better job than they did last year? Duquesne returns most of their offense, and has added a transfer WR (from Michigan State ) who was MVP of the Big 33 game a few years ago.

Thanks for the fact check. Too bad Sam Nana-Sinkham is hurt again, that poor kid has been injured so much in his career. I'm rooting for him (well, not against Lehigh, but you know what I mean. )

Go...gate
September 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Monmouth is going to be overconfident - many here have picked them to beat Colgate, and those of us who pick Colgate to win, such as this writer, have strong reservations about such a pick. It is definitely going to be interesting.

HoyaMetanoia
September 4th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Underrated factoid of the HC-Georgetown game:

Georgetown's new punter is a Sr. 3rd string TE who is replacing last year's starting punter, Casey Dobyns, who is no longer on the team.

If Georgetown punts, which has been a common theme the past few years, it might get interesting.

jdb037
September 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
LEHIGH OVER CCSU

RHODE ISLAND OVER FORDHAM

HOLY CROSS OVER GEORGETOWN

COLGATE OVER MONMOUTH

BUCKNELL OVER DUQUESNE - Comment earlier said that we have had trouble against Duquesne in the past. However, we are 9-3 all time against the Dukes and 2 of the wins for the Dukes came in the 1930's. Landis is also 5-0 against Duquesne in his career.

DFW HOYA
September 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Underrated factoid of the HC-Georgetown game:

Georgetown's new punter is a Sr. 3rd string TE who is replacing last year's starting punter, Casey Dobyns, who is no longer on the team.

If Georgetown punts, which has been a common theme the past few years, it might get interesting.

Correct; his backup is a 3rd string QB who saw four plays last season and no punts. Two starting WR's are former quarterbacks, one of whom is a converted RB.

So far, this doesn't sound good.

LehighFan11
September 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Lehigh
Fordham
Holy Cross
Colgate
Duquesne

Fordham
September 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'll compile my Patriot League picks here, for everyone's reading enjoyment.

Sources:
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/09/game-preview-central-connecticut-state.html
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/09/03/the-csn-way-upsets?blog=5

CCSU at Lehigh: This will come down to Lehigh's rushing "D". Can they slow down the CCSU rushing machine? I think they will. Can the Lehigh offense make hay against the Blue Devil "D"? I'm less sure. Will a loud, partisan crowd be the difference? I think it will be.

Lehigh 21, Central Connecticut State 17

Georgetown at No. 25 Holy Cross: Holy Cross is back in the Top 25, thanks to the play last year of quarterback Dominc Randolph (3,838 yards passing, 34 TDs). If there’s a question about head coach Tom Gilmore’s Crusaders, it’s this: Who’s going to be at the other end of those passes? Two senior wideouts, two senior running backs and last year’s starting tight end are gone, and there’s a lot of offensive cogs that need replacing.

The Hoyas should prove to a good indication as to who will step up for Holy Cross. Georgetown, still struggling to put a together successful offense, features an above-average defense (led by safety Chris Rau) but shouldn’t slow Randolph much. THe first of many high-scoring Crusaders games starts Saturday.

Dom-Inating Dom 55, Hoya Boyas 10

Monmouth at Colgate: Coach Dick Biddle’s crew, notoriously slow starters, will be tested against running back David Sinisi and Monmouth, who (like Albany) desperately need this win to have a chance at a playoff spot. Colgate’s Nate Eachus, who filled in so admirably for all-World running back Jordan Scott last year, will run the ball behind Colgate’s revamped offensive line: but it won’t be enough.

Sinisi-itis 28, Red Raiders 21

BONUS PICKS:

Fordham at Rhode Island: In this "Which Rams Reign Supreme?" battle, this one is so hard to handicap. Is Fordham QB John Skelton as good as all that? Is Rhode Island's new offense going to be all that? I'd prefer not to pick the game at all, frankly, and take a mulligan. My gut tells me to take Fordham, who will be playing with great confidence following an eventful offseason. That said, I'm going against my gut: URI needs this win more than Fordham. I'm taking URI.

Blue Rams 28, Red Rams 25

Bucknell at Duquesne: People forget last year's game was a real barn-burner, with Bucknell getting a huge blowout lead and very nearly losing it all in a 38-35 win. Again, I think Duqesne needs this win more than Bucknell, and with Pasternak's foot in a cast it's hard to envision the Bison winning a shootout again this year. I think the Dukes win.

The Other Dukes 31, The Original Bison 21

Interesting. Recent history tells us that the PL will open up the season horribly with much hang-wringing to follow. I do hope you're wrong but can't argue with the overall gist of your picks.

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
looked over at NEC picks. They are quite optimistic picking LU and Gate to lose . While LFN'spicks are probably close to the mark, I feel that we will hang on 1 more year and win. But these teams are tough and will be harder yet in the future.

ngineer
September 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Surprised to see Keith Groller picking Lehigh to win in an offensive barn-burner today in the Morning Call. Something like 32-24. Opening games are real difficult to guage. Lots of mistakes get made, especially early on til a lot of first timers get their 'sea legs', which can lead to a lot of points. But, still, I would hope our D is stingier than that.

CrusaderBob
September 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM
OK. Lets get this season rolling.

41 - 15 last season following a PL Pick 'Em Championship the year before. Will try to do better this year.

Since I'm late with my pick this week, not a lot of analysis here. Just the winners.

Lehigh
Fordham
Holy Cross
Colgate
Duquesne

gtowndad
September 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Georgetown 7 HC 3 after one.

CFBfan
September 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Georgetown 7 HC 3 after one.

Under 5:00 mins left in the half, still 7 - 3 Hoyas.....WOW!

Fordham is getting destroyed by RI 34 - 0 towards the end of the 1st half

Lehigh is tied with Central CT 14 - 14 at the half

Seawolf97
September 5th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Under 5:00 mins left in the half, still 7 - 3 Hoyas.....WOW!

Fordham is getting destroyed by RI 34 - 0 towards the end of the 1st half

Lehigh is tied with Central CT 14 - 14 at the half

Not surprising since Rhode Island is a CAA team and CCSU is a top tier NEC program. They are stronger than you realize.xnodx

CFBfan
September 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Not surprising since Rhode Island is a CAA team and CCSU is a top tier NEC program. They are stronger than you realize.xnodx

stronger than who thinks?? i never said otherwise.....never commented one way or the other.

Original_RMC
September 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
CCSU - 28
Lehigh - 21

Final...congrats on a great win CCSU

RichH2
September 5th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Agree fine game by CCSU, totally outplayed Lehigh. No one could hold onto the ball early but CCSU got it together and kicked our butt

Seawolf97
September 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
CCSU - 28
Lehigh - 21

Final...congrats on a great win CCSU

NICE !xthumbsupx

JMG1MON
September 5th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Its funny, lots of people on the NEC thread picked Monmouth to win. Most on this thread think MOnmouth will keep it real close and may pull out a close one. I know how bad Colgate has been in their recent openers, you do realize Monmouth is starting a brand new qb. I do not think MU will win this game, of course, I hope I'm wrong!!!

Congrats to CCSU!! Nice win. Good luck to Duquesne!!