PDA

View Full Version : TSN Ivy League Preview

smallcollegefbfan
August 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/newstest.aspx?id=4250050

Ivytalk
August 26th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Interesting picks. Penn, Harvard, Princeton and Columbia as top 4? We'll see...xeyebrowx

ngineer
August 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Makes sense, but Penn always seems to screw up a title run in recent years. Should be pretty balanced among the top 5. Lehigh will be hosting Princeton, Harvard and Yale this year. All better be ready for some payback.xnodx

OL FU
August 27th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Columbia at fourth would be like winning the conference them, wouldn't it?

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Makes sense, but Penn always seems to screw up a title run in recent years. Should be pretty balanced among the top 5. Lehigh will be hosting Princeton, Harvard and Yale this year. All better be ready for some payback.xnodx

We got Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Columbia-- will be a tough road for the leopards

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I think this ranking underrates Brown and Yale, overrates Princeton and Columbia.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I think this ranking underrates Brown and Yale, overrates Princeton and Columbia.

Pretty gutsy taking last year's co-champions to finish fifth. They do lose a starting QB, but the two WRs that comprised the bulk of their offense return as well as much of their underrated defense. If they weren't in the title hunt at the very end I'd be shocked. They'll certainly be there before Columbia - while I like the Lions to improve, making fourth place and a over-.500 record would make them ecstatic.

Yale, on the other hand, I could see them with groaning pains.

brownbear
August 28th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I don't necessarily think we are going to win the Ivy League again this year, but I have a hard time believing we're going to be worse than Columbia with the team we have, unless we have serious problems at quarterback, which is possible.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Right. Princeton not very strong this year except for Jordan Culbreath. The defense is pretty good but vulnerable to a good passer.

bulldog10jw
August 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
I don't necessarily think we are going to win the Ivy League again this year, but I have a hard time believing we're going to be worse than Columbia with the team we have, unless we have serious problems at quarterback, which is possible.

I have a hard time believing Brown (or Yale) is going to be worse than Columbia even WITH serious problems at QB.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Lehigh should be able to take of Princeton this year. Princeton wasn't too great last year but caught a still struggling Clark early in the year. Harvard will be tough but i think Lehigh can beat them at home. If this game was in Mass i'd say the Crimson would be the favorites. The Hawks had them dead to rights last year before Harvard stripped Clark at the 10 yard line with about a minute left. I'm not sure about Yale but Lehigh and the Eli almost always play each other tough no matter the records.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Harvard wil be playing with a rookie QB for the first time in a long while, and its corps of RBs is not proven. Penn probably deserves to be the pre-season favorite.

Especially considering all those coal miners and dock workers they have.:p

CFBfan
August 28th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Harvard wil be playing with a rookie QB for the first time in a long while, and its corps of RBs is not proven. Penn probably deserves to be the pre-season favorite.

Especially considering all those coal miners and dock workers they have.:p

I saw an article in Last Sunday's NY Times about a QB transfering back to Harvard from LSU.......according to the article he was a frosh at Harvard then transfered to LSU, and now is coming back to Harvard for his last year. Is he in the mix.....the article rated him as a "top talent" ??

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I saw an article in Last Sunday's NY Times about a QB transfering back to Harvard from LSU.......according to the article he was a frosh at Harvard then transfered to LSU, and now is coming back to Harvard for his last year. Is he in the mix.....the article rated him as a "top talent" ??

I remember the guy (Hatch). He got hurt last year and can't play at Harvard until 2010 anyway. Harvard didn't honor any of his LSU credits when he came back. Harvard had a Tulane transfer several years ago (Irvin) who never really cracked the lineup. We'll see, I guess.

CFBfan
August 28th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I remember the guy (Hatch). He got hurt last year and can't play at Harvard until 2010 anyway. Harvard didn't honor any of his LSU credits when he came back. Harvard had a Tulane transfer several years ago (Irvin) who never really cracked the lineup. We'll see, I guess.

yes Hatch was who the article was about.
Based on the article he is very talented but, with only one year of eligibility left I'm not so sure it makes sense to play him and hold up another QB comitted to the program for an extra year. I think I remember reading that he is 23 already......a year to wait now along with forfeiting his LSU credits, wow!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Ah yes... Hatch, who has supposed to have been the killer app everywhere he's been but has never even cracked the starting lineup. I'll believe him when I see him.

Franks Tanks
August 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Ah yes... Hatch, who has supposed to have been the killer app everywhere he's been but has never even cracked the starting lineup. I'll believe him when I see him.

Hatch started the APP state game for LSU last year.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I think Hatch has really given up on starting at QB and just wants a Harvard degree. And he's Mormon to boot -- almost went to BYU in the first place.

CFBfan
August 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I think Hatch has really given up on starting at QB and just wants a Harvard degree. And he's Mormon to boot -- almost went to BYU in the first place.

you can't fault anyone for wanting a Harvard degree.....if his football ability gives him the opportunity to get it, good for him.

Ivytalk
August 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
you can't fault anyone for wanting a Harvard degree.....if his football ability gives him the opportunity to get it, good for him.

Nothing wrong with that, and he won't be the first "elderly" Crimson QB. Neil Rose took a medical redshirt year.

Head Cat
August 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Tim Murphy has always spoken very highly of Andrew Hatch, even after Hatch left for LSU. You have to remember Hatch had THREE terrific QBs ahead of him at Harvard, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chirs Pizzotti and Liam O'Hagen. Hatch was the LSU starter until injuries got the best of him. He is a fine QB when healthy and will be in the mix next year.