PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week One

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Let's get rolling with SLC predictions! We're just over a week away and I know you are itching as I am for some Southland prognostications!

Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State - No Herb Donaldson. No Rhett Bomar. The top two players from each squad a year ago are no longer around. It is time for new players to step up and in a game with plenty of question marks on each side, go with the home team. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Nicholls State @ Air Force - This game may be one of the quickest of the opening weekend. Like the planes they fly, the Air Force will take off down the field at a much more rapid pace. AIR FORCE

Texas A&M-Commerce @ Southeastern La - Mike Lucas and his squad will get to check out their depth in the second half. Brian Babin will flex his muscle and Newbill/Connors will wreak havoc. SOUTHEASTERN LA.

Northwestern State @ Houston - Lots of positive vibes resonating from Natchitoches. This is an FBS game and that should not be forgotten. Case Keenum is one of the best QBs in the nation and I have a hard time seeing that explosive offense being kept in check by the Purple Swarm for 60 minutes. HOUSTON

Angelo State @ Texas St-San Marcos - The Bobcats love to play close with Div II teams. While falling to Abilene Christian in 2007, they have won their previous two Div II games by a combined 11 points. With that being said, this one will be close too, as Brad Wright's squad looks for consistent play outside Bush and George. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Henderson State @ McNeese State - The easiest pick of the week. What more can be said? McNEESE

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - SFA is going to be better this year. I have no doubt that they will and this is truly one of those FBS games you go into thinking you may have a good chance to win. If Moses does not throw INTs, perhaps the Jacks stay close and have a chance to win. SOUTHERN METHODIST

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - This is not the Hawaii of a few years ago and this is not the Central Arkansas led by Nathan Brown. Times change. The Bears will be better than some may be led to believe, but the Rainbows will emerge victorious. HAWAII

TT's Predictions
2007 Record: 46-14 (24-4 SLC)
2008 Record: 40-22 (9-18 SLC)
2009 Record: 0-0 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 86-36 (33-22 SLC)

crossfire07
August 26th, 2009, 09:56 AM
realistic or not, an upset in Hawaii would make for an awesome plane ride home.

McNeese75
August 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sam Houston State (hopefully the Kats are ready)
Air Force (tough game for the Colonels but the weather should be nice xnodx)
Southeastern (Lions should walk in this one if they are ready)
Houston (The Demons may give them all they can handle if expectations are met)
Tx State (Cats SHOULD roll in this game but the Lone Star Leage gives them fits)
McNeese (Rumor has it the Reddies have our play book so... :D)
Hawaii (Should be a great trip but a long one and a tough venue for an FCS team)

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2009, 10:28 AM
realistic or not, an upset in Hawaii would make for an awesome plane ride home.

No question there! xthumbsupx

It's going to be a fun trip for the players either way. This was a good move on Conque's part to get this kind of game scheduled for those who will never have a chance to win an SLC title (officially - as we've seen they were the top team last year) or go to the playoffs...

NSUDemon98
August 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Let's get rolling with SLC predictions! We're just over a week away and I know you are itching as I am for some Southland prognostications!

Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State - No Herb Donaldson. No Rhett Bomar. The top two players from each squad a year ago are no longer around. It is time for new players to step up and in a game with plenty of question marks on each side, go with the home team. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Nicholls State @ Air Force - This game may be one of the quickest of the opening weekend. Like the planes they fly, the Air Force will take off down the field at a much more rapid pace. AIR FORCE

Texas A&M-Commerce @ Southeastern La - Mike Lucas and his squad will get to check out their depth in the second half. Brian Babin will flex his muscle and Newbill/Connors will wreak havoc. SOUTHEASTERN LA.

Northwestern State @ Houston - Lots of positive vibes resonating from Natchitoches. This is an FBS game and that should not be forgotten. Case Keenum is one of the best QBs in the nation and I have a hard time seeing that explosive offense being kept in check by the Purple Swarm for 60 minutes. HOUSTON

Angelo State @ Texas St-San Marcos - The Bobcats love to play close with Div II teams. While falling to Abilene Christian in 2007, they have won their previous two Div II games by a combined 11 points. With that being said, this one will be close too, as Brad Wright's squad looks for consistent play outside Bush and George. TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS

Henderson State @ McNeese State - The easiest pick of the week. What more can be said? McNEESE

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - SFA is going to be better this year. I have no doubt that they will and this is truly one of those FBS games you go into thinking you may have a good chance to win. If Moses does not throw INTs, perhaps the Jacks stay close and have a chance to win. SOUTHERN METHODIST

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - This is not the Hawaii of a few years ago and this is not the Central Arkansas led by Nathan Brown. Times change. The Bears will be better than some may be led to believe, but the Rainbows will emerge victorious. HAWAII

TT's Predictions
2009 Record: 0-0 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 86-36 (33-22 SLC)

Western Ill. vs. SHSU - I am afraid WIU will escape with a W but hoping the home team will win to help the SLC reputation so...SHSU

Air Force vs. Nicholls - Air Force

SLU vs. TAMU-C - SLU

U of H vs. NSU - Don't think the Purple Swarm will be able to match up with the Cougar offense for 60 minutes. Houston wins in a high scoring game...something like 45 to 33

TxSt vs. Angelo St. - TxSt

McNeese vs. Henderon St. - The Reddies will not be ready...McNeese

SMU vs. SFA - SFA might be able to score enough to hang but gotta go with SMU

Hawaii vs. UCA - UCA is about to find out first hand why the officiating at Hawaii sporting events are so notorious. Hawaii

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 27th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State--still seems like the kats are still scrapping together the team and trying to convince themselves to play the season, haha. guess this happens when you can't recruit a HS QB and have to depend on last minute transfers. They have "good" RBs though. 'Necks steal one by 3, 31-28, sending the kat nation into further chaos. *cackle*

Nicholls State @ Air Force--I still find it very odd that Air Force PASSES the ball...Falcons 51, Nicholls 7

Texas A&M-Commerce @ Southeastern La--SELA better be ready...the LSC is no slouch! SELA comes back in the 4th to squeak by 35-31

Northwestern State @ Houston--Will UH be the first team this century to put up 100?? Well, not in this game...but I just have a baaaaad feeling about this. I mean, Potential UH Heisman QB vs. a SOUTHLAND defense. oh snap. Houston 70 NwSt. 17. (I really do think it will be closer)

Angelo State @ Texas State--maybe we can have a CONVINCING win over a div. II? MAYBE? 'Cats by 21...35-14.

Henderson State @ McNeese State--Starters out by halftime. Cowboys by 35...42-7.

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist--Shootout possibility. Since Moses seems to have the same turnover problem that plagued our QBs in this game last year, SFA may fumble this one away. But if Moses improves and SFA shows some offensive balance, they have a shot. But it's Year 2 with June Jones, I'll go with the 'Stanks. 56-17

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii--at least it was a nice vacation. I'm a little jealous. Rainbow Warriors by 28...42-14.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM
guess this happens when you can't recruit a HS QB and have to depend on last minute transfers.

As stated numerous times before on this board and other forums, SHSU probably would not have brought in Blake Joseph if they did not lose Jeff Welch to season-ending knee surgery.

SHSU has strong QBs that were recruited, but they want to redshirt them. If you would not have brought in Joseph, you would have had Randolph and possibly having to not redshirt two of your freshmen QBs. It would not have worked, but hey - that's just commonsense speaking. ;)

bobcatalum05
August 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
In my opinion, the Coach brought in a hired gun to try and save his job.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Hopefully, the coach also brought in a player who can be part of the coaching staff after his eligibility is up too! xthumbsupx

TxState_GO_CATS!
August 27th, 2009, 02:50 PM

yah, i think this is the real reason too. nothing wrong with it, i would want to keep my job too.xthumbsupx

one has to wonder, though, how accepting (and starting) all these senior transfer qbs is affecting their HS QB recruiting. guess they don't "need" them though.

TexasTerror
August 27th, 2009, 02:56 PM
one has to wonder, though, how accepting (and starting) all these senior transfer qbs is affecting their HS QB recruiting. guess they don't "need" them though.

You must not have viewed the freshmen we signed this past spring... xwhistlex

Tyler Copeland. Read up on him. Jeff Welch. May want to read up on him too (even if he did not sign this past spring). xreadx

DG Cowboy
August 27th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Good on 'ya Texas Terror for putting your predictions record out there.

Are you doing the McNeese-Tulane game at the Dome Sept. 26?

slycat
August 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Western Illinois vs Sam Houston State (9/3) - Best game of the week in the SLC. Should be close. If SHSUs transfer Qb does good then they will win.
Nicholls State @ Air Force - Air Force wins
Texas A&M Commerce vs Southeastern Louisiana - SELA should have it easy
Northwestern State @ Houston - Maybe close to an upset but UofH wins
Angelo State vs Texas State - Better be a blowout by the Bobcats
Henderson State vs McNeese State - McNeese rolls
Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - Bobcats couldn't seem to do it last year so why should SFA?
Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - Maybe another upset chance. Distance kills Bears in the end.

JohnStOnge
August 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State - Western Illinois. I'd be pleased to be wrong because it'd help the Southland for Sam Houston State to win but I don't think it's going to happen.

Nicholls State @ Air Force - Air Force, obviously won't be confused by an option offense.

Texas A&M-Commerce @ Southeastern La - Southeastern Louisiana. Texas A&M Commerce hasn't had a winning season since 2001.

Northwestern State @ Houston - Houston. And I don't think it'll be close.

Angelo State @ Texas St-San Marcos - Texas State.

Henderson State @ McNeese State - Groan. McNeese State. Henderson State lost by 54-38 last night to Southeastern Oklahoma State and it wasn't really that close.

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist. Southern Methodist. And it's another "I don't think it'll be close."

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - Hawaii. The third "I don't think it'll be close."

BEAR
August 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Even without the high powered offense of last year, the Bears are sure to stay toe to to with the Rainbow Warriors in that game. Due to time zone, officiating, and # of schollys factors, it probably wlll be an Hawaii win but I am calling for an upset by very little. I have witnessed the UNA defenses win games against us when we averaged big numbers per game, so I'm calling this one for the defense. UCA defense will pull this one out. This isn't the same Hawaii team of Colt and crew. UCA by 3.

Western Illinois vs Sam Houston State (9/3) - WI pulls the win. SHSU has nothing in the tank to offer! Maybe spring ball found some good ones but I can't imagine they will have the needed chemistry this early. WI by 7
Nicholls State @ Air Force - Air Force wins X2. AF by 14
Texas A&M Commerce vs Southeastern Louisiana - SELA all the way by 21
Northwestern State @ Houston - Not close, but Ooston by 14
Angelo State vs Texas State -The Cats by 5.
Henderson State vs McNeese State - McNeese rolls with their eyes closed by 21.
Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - SMU, this buds for you. by 21

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Are you doing the McNeese-Tulane game at the Dome Sept. 26?

I got a conflict at 4 p.m. So, probably not...

Bearkats94
August 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM

I was thinking the samething to. But if Bomar couldn't get it done this QB want either. Whittens days will be short if this season turns out like the last few.xrulesxxnodx

El Gato
August 30th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Western Illinois vs Sam Houston State - Sounds like a great game, and I'm inclined to say The Leathernecks will come out on top. However, it is a home game for the Bearkats and despite their preseason prognostications, I do believe the Bearkats will be competitive this year. SHSU by 7

Nicholls State @ Air Force - Nice warm up game for Air Force. The New Col. Tillou, aka M. Bison, isn't going to help much here. Air Force by 21

Texas A&M Commerce vs Southeastern Louisiana - Lions vs. Lions. TAMU-C was ranked 30th in a Div II poll and was picked to tie for 2nd in the Lonestar North Division. However, the Lions are already 0-1, suffering a 21-7 loss to Angelo State (fellow LSC member and the Cats next week opponent), after a second quarter meltdown. SELA by 17

Northwestern State @ Houston - We'll see how all this "hype" about NWST and their new coach will pan out. I don't think it'll help much against this years CUSA favorite, UH, and their stellar QB (led the nation in passing this past year). The Coogs are also returning 86% of their total offense (which averaged 41 PPG last year. Including a 70 spot in one game). UH by 27

Angelo State vs Texas State - ASU was picked to finish 6th in the LSC South, and came out strong against a ranked TAMU-C. I hope for a strong statement by the Cats, and I'm sure with the defensive improvements and most of the offensive firepower returning (yes the Loss of C. Luke will be felt, but I think/hope the loss will be absorbed by the other great WR's) the Cats will not disappoint. Bobcats by 20.

Henderson State vs McNeese State - Could be a tough one...McNeese by 21... at least by half time, who knows after that...

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - June Jones will have a year under his belt, and while I really do think Jeremy Moses and Co. will be able to put up some points against the Mustangs, I'm inclined to say they won't come away with the W. Although, I do feel they are the SLC's best chance at a FBS win. SMU by 7

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - Nope. Hawaii by 15

crossfire07
August 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Nicholls State @ Air Force - Air Force, obviously won't be confused by an option offense.

I think Air Force will SHOW them how to run the option then turn around and use what they learned on everybody else.

lionsrking2
August 30th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Normally don't make predictions but here are mine...

Sam Houston in a squeaker over Western Illinois...this one could go either way.

Air Force big over Nicholls...breaking in new QB and third highest altitude in college football will take a toll on Colonels.

The Lions of Southeastern Louisiana prevail over the Lions of Texas A&M-Commerce...Commerce has a game under the belts and play pretty solid defense, so look for this one to be tighter than some think.

Texas State will pull away from Angelo State in another SLC/LSC battle...again, Angelo has a game under their belt and play solid defense and game could be tighter than people think.

Houston big over NW State...A whole bunch for the Cougars to not much for the Demons.

McNeese big over Henderson State...look for a high scoring game with McNeese maintaining a comfortable working margin...wouldn't be surprised if there's 80+ points scored in this one combined.

SMU big over SFA...Look for a lot of points, most of which will come from the home team.

Hawaii big over UCA...Travel and life without Nathan Brown will be too much to overcome for the Bears.

BEAR
August 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
UCA-HAWAII LIVE ON LITTLE ROCK'S KARZ

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=1&article=3221

FormerPokeCenter
August 31st, 2009, 06:06 PM
Western Illinois 21 Sam Houston 14. Sam's new-look defense keeps it interesting, but I don't think the Beerkats can get it done offensively.

Air Force 35 Nicholls 24

Southeastern Louisiana 44 Texas A&M-Commerce 21

Texas State 28 Angelo State 14

Upset Special of the Week

Northwestern 28 Houston 21. With the addition of Nebraska's starting tailback and a new-look Purple Swarm, Northwestern slogs it out and slows the tempo way down.

McNeese 56 Henderson State 18

SMU 31 SFA 28

Hawaii 35 UCA 31. The Bears have a Dick for a QB. And he shows why they signed him.

TexasTerror
August 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Western Illinois 21 Sam Houston 14. Sam's new-look defense keeps it interesting, but I don't think the Beerkats can get it done offensively.

With the best running back depth in the SLC, I am not worried about the ball getting moved. If our passing game does not drop off by a long shot, we'll be okay.

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2009, 07:13 PM
Northwestern 28 Houston 21. With the addition of Nebraska's starting tailback and a new-look Purple Swarm, Northwestern slogs it out and slows the tempo way down..

I don't think it's going to happen...especially the part about holding Houston to 21 points. As I understand it Houston is expected to win CUSA West and the reason is because they're supposed to have an extremely explosive offense. From what I can tell I think you should look for Houston to score in at least the 40s or 50s in this game.

JohnStOnge
August 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
With the best running back depth in the SLC, I am not worried about the ball getting moved. .

I don't know if that thing about having the best depth at running back in the SLC is going to turn out to be true. Time will tell, but keep an eye on what McNeese has at running back this year.

BEAR
August 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM
I don't know if that thing about having the best depth at running back in the SLC is going to turn out to be true. Time will tell, but keep an eye on what McNeese has at running back this year.

Brent Grimes of UCA scored 18 TDs last year and averaged 10.5 pts per game. He's followed by Leonard Caesar, CJ Chaten from Tulsa and Terrence Bobo ( a family known in arkansas for RBs). Without the pass game of last year, the RBs will finally have a chance to shine! The best in the conference? Maybe,maybe not. Depth is definetly there though. xthumbsupx

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2009, 09:21 PM

We'll have some depth as well, and should be improved at the RB position, overall, despite losing Jay Lucas to graduation.

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Without the pass game of last year, the RBs will finally have a chance to shine! The best in the conference? Maybe,maybe not. Depth is definetly there though. xthumbsupx

IMO, it'll be just the opposite...not having your passing game from last year will hinder your running game, not allow it to shine. I suspect you will see more eight man fronts now that Brown and those receivers are gone.

BEAR
August 31st, 2009, 09:46 PM
IMO, it'll be just the opposite...not having your passing game from last year will hinder your running game, not allow it to shine. I suspect you will see more eight man fronts now that Brown and those receivers are gone.

Good point. But I've always heard that the run game opens up the pass game. xlolx As for 8 man fronts, UCA is loaded with TEs and screen passes. That will keep any defense away from 8 man fronts.

lionsrking2
August 31st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Good point. But I've always heard that the run game opens up the pass game. xlolx As for 8 man fronts, UCA is loaded with TEs and screen passes. That will keep any defense away from 8 man fronts.

From what I saw of Robbie Park - if he's your starter - you'll see a lot of eight man fronts until he demonstrates a consistent ability to get the ball downfield to your outside guys. Using TEs and screens isn't going to loosen up defenses...ability to stretch the field will.

BEAR
September 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM
From what I saw of Robbie Park - if he's your starter - you'll see a lot of eight man fronts until he demonstrates a consistent ability to get the ball downfield to your outside guys. Using TEs and screens isn't going to loosen up defenses...ability to stretch the field will.

Hey I have about as much faith in Park as you do. So something has to break out or it's going to be a long long season. I'm just trying to be optimistic...I have to after losing Brown. xlolx Heck, we have an SEC QB backing him up. xthumbsupx Yeah...my thoughts too. xlolx

Purple Pride
September 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
McNeese fans might find it interesting that the Reddies have been practicing with freshman qb Nathan Nall on first team. It looks like record holding qb Roc Charpantier has been suspended for this week's game.

JoshUCA
September 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
McNeese fans might find it interesting that the Reddies have been practicing with freshman qb Nathan Nall on first team. It looks like record holding qb Roc Charpantier has been suspended for this week's game.

Not that HSU was going to win anyway, but now it will be an even bigger spanking! xasswhipx

BEAR
September 1st, 2009, 01:40 PM
Isn't September UCA month on AGS? xnodxxlolx

TexasTerror
September 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Isn't September UCA month on AGS? xnodxxlolx

They're always a few days late. Seems like everyone gets their fair share of 30 days because of the slight delay. xreadx

BEAR
September 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM
Oh I wasn't complaining..just having a little fun. xnodxxthumbsupx

McNeese75
September 1st, 2009, 11:07 PM

xrolleyesx xsmhx That is probably not a good thing for the Reddies.

McNeese72
September 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM
xrolleyesx xsmhx That is probably not a good thing for the Reddies.

Probably good for us with all the Lb's and Db's that won't be playing due to injuries.

Doc

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Need a SLA contact to send me info on tailgating up in Hammond for this weekend. DEFINITELY want to meet some of the GOOD Lion-Hearted from AGS when up there this weekend. xpeacex

McNEESE folks - I"M SUPER-CHARGED about joining with you at the SuperDome while you lasso the Green Wave. Send a msg so we can get together. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

lionsrking2
September 2nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Need a SLA contact to send me info on tailgating up in Hammond for this weekend. DEFINITELY want to meet some of the GOOD Lion-Hearted from AGS when up there this weekend. xpeacex

McNEESE folks - I"M SUPER-CHARGED about joining with you at the SuperDome while you lasso the Green Wave. Send a msg so we can get together. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Awesome!! Glad you'll be making a trip to "The Berry" this weekend...the main tailgate area is in Friendship Circle just to the north and east of the stadium...send me a PM and maybe we can meet up prior to the game.

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM

You need to find us Alan. We will be hanging around the Sonesta on Friday and in section 115 for the game.

RabidRabbit
September 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
You need to find us Alan. We will be hanging around the Sonesta on Friday and in section 115 for the game.

Sonesta a bar? Definitely available for get-together & catch up both Fri/Sat/Sun.

Altho I do work Sat AM, but only a block from Superdome. xthumbsupx

I'll PM with contact info (it's changed from last year)

BEAR
September 2nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Local corn farm has an annual maze and this year it looks like this:

http://www.schaeferscornmaze.com/images/img3.jpg

It's something to do until gametime!

GeauxLions94
September 2nd, 2009, 03:22 PM
Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State - The post Rhett Bomar (SHSU), post-Herb Donaldson (WIU) era begins for both teams on Thursday on Southland Conference TV. Teams have met seven times with Leathernecks taking the last contest in 2002. Think the SHSU running back tandem of Aston and Poullard will be the difference in this one. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Nicholls State @ Air Force - If either coach has an afternoon tee time, he has a pretty safe chance of getting in 18 holes before the sun goes down. Long trip to the mountains for the Colonels and not one of the best places to debut with a new "logo" (cough, cough). HAIR FORCE

Texas A&M-Commerce @ Southeastern La. - Big expectations in Hammond with fifth-year senior Brian Babin running the offense and All-American Tommy Connors on defense. Southland teams have had their troubles (no easy wins) against the Lone Star Conference and this one should be no exception. Taking the home team in a game that will be closer than most expect. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Northwestern State @ Houston - The BDP era kicks off in Space City for the new look Demons, who ... (wait a minute, I've just been informed they've acquired another transfer). Demons should give Cougars trouble for a good portion of the game before the FBS-FCS numbers take over late. HOUSTON

Angelo State @ Texas State - The defending champs (outside of Conway xsmiley_wix) kick off against an in-state rival. Cats are 11-2 against ASU in San Marcos, but had to hold on for a seven-point win last year. Rams have a game under their belt after an impressive second-half comeback against Texas A&M-Commerce. Cats might feel the effects of losing Cameron Luke early, but Bradley George and Karrington Bush will help the home team to the win. TEXAS STATE

Henderson State @ McNeese State - A pretty stout McOffense and a new-look McD debut against the Division II Reddies. That's about as "ready" as the visitors will be as they venture to the Hole for the first time since a 42-0 blowout loss in 2003. McNEESE STATE

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - The over/under on combined rushing attempts for this game has been set at 20 ... The anti Nicholls-Air Force game ... If J.C. Harper and/or June Jones have tee times set up, it would be best if they were set for late Sunday. Improved 'Jacks look to keep up with the Ponies, but too much SMU late in a game that will have the scoreboard smoking. SMU

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - Nice trip to the Islands to start the season for the "defending champs." Larry Hart might create some havoc for UCA on defense, but how will the post-Nathan Brown era be on offense with a new QB? HAWAII

cajundemon
September 2nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
With the best running back depth in the SLC, I am not worried about the ball getting moved. If our passing game does not drop off by a long shot, we'll be okay.

Heard through my sources up the road that Poullard is not eligible again this year...? Maybe you could enlighten me.

And on a side note, this is one Demon fan that doesnt think our game against UofH will be close...best case scenario Coogs--forty something -- Demons 13.

katstrapper
September 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

Amen!! And not an impressive hired gun at that. In 4 years at UH Joseph only threw for 1500+ yards. I dont understand what all the hype is about. SHSU was 4-6 with a NFL caliber QB and could do NOTHING with it. Whitten's days are numbered.

katstrapper
September 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Heard through my sources up the road that Poullard is not eligible again this year...? Maybe you could enlighten me.

And on a side note, this is one Demon fan that doesnt think our game against UofH will be close...best case scenario Coogs--forty something -- Demons 13.

CJ..nobody seems to know what the actual story is on Poullard for this season. Some say it just takes a while to get the results from NCAA.. IMO, Poullard knows if he is elgible or not. Coaches know if he is elgible or not. All they got to do is ask the professor of the classes he was taking and they will know. The problem I have is for there to even be talk of possibility him not being elgible is not a good sign. However, if he is lost, we are pretty deep at RB. There is a kid that transferred as a freshman last year from Arkansas, plus some great recruits picked up the last couple of years. RB depth is fine, QB depth is not!

Western Illinois vs Sam Houston State (9/3) - Best game of the week in the SLC. WIU gets this one!

Nicholls State @ Air Force - Air Force wins

Texas A&M Commerce vs Southeastern Louisiana - SE Louisiana

Northwestern State @ Houston - Closer than UH wants.. Univ of Houston

Angelo State vs Texas State - TX State wins, but Angelo St is no pushover

Henderson State vs McNeese State - Pokes

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - Yr 2 for June Jones. SMU

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii- Too far of a trip, Rainbows win

bobcatalum05
September 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
TXST
SHSU
SELA
UofH
McNeese
Air Force
Hawaii
SMU

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM

He's eligible...

The issue seemed to drag on a bit. Not sure what it was, but he may have taken summer school classes elsewhere or there was a waiver that may have been filed for lords know what...

Fans need to realize that you can not declare someone eligible until all the i's are dotted, t's are crossed and the university and NCAA giving blessing. Something fishy may be involved here, but considering SHSU has run one of the cleanest programs in the SLC, I think we're alright...

NSUDemon98
September 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Western Illinois @ Sam Houston State - The post Rhett Bomar (SHSU), post-Herb Donaldson (WIU) era begins for both teams on Thursday on Southland Conference TV. Teams have met seven times with Leathernecks taking the last contest in 2002. Think the SHSU running back tandem of Aston and Poullard will be the difference in this one. SAM HOUSTON STATE

Nicholls State @ Air Force - If either coach has an afternoon tee time, he has a pretty safe chance of getting in 18 holes before the sun goes down. Long trip to the mountains for the Colonels and not one of the best places to debut with a new "logo" (cough, cough). HAIR FORCE

Texas A&M-Commerce @ Southeastern La. - Big expectations in Hammond with fifth-year senior Brian Babin running the offense and All-American Tommy Connors on defense. Southland teams have had their troubles (no easy wins) against the Lone Star Conference and this one should be no exception. Taking the home team in a game that will be closer than most expect. SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Northwestern State @ Houston - The BDP era kicks off in Space City for the new look Demons, who ... (wait a minute, I've just been informed they've acquired another transfer). Demons should give Cougars trouble for a good portion of the game before the FBS-FCS numbers take over late. HOUSTON

Angelo State @ Texas State - The defending champs (outside of Conway xsmiley_wix) kick off against an in-state rival. Cats are 11-2 against ASU in San Marcos, but had to hold on for a seven-point win last year. Rams have a game under their belt after an impressive second-half comeback against Texas A&M-Commerce. Cats might feel the effects of losing Cameron Luke early, but Bradley George and Karrington Bush will help the home team to the win. TEXAS STATE

Henderson State @ McNeese State - A pretty stout McOffense and a new-look McD debut against the Division II Reddies. That's about as "ready" as the visitors will be as they venture to the Hole for the first time since a 42-0 blowout loss in 2003. McNEESE STATE

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - The over/under on combined rushing attempts for this game has been set at 20 ... The anti Nicholls-Air Force game ... If J.C. Harper and/or June Jones have tee times set up, it would be best if they were set for late Sunday. Improved 'Jacks look to keep up with the Ponies, but too much SMU late in a game that will have the scoreboard smoking. SMU

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii - Nice trip to the Islands to start the season for the "defending champs." Larry Hart might create some havoc for UCA on defense, but how will the post-Nathan Brown era be on offense with a new QB? HAWAII

We have over a 100 currently on our roster and only 14 of them are transfers from other DI schools. Not saying you were trying to imply anything...just putting that info out there. I'd say that is about avg. for FCS schools...and a lot less than many of them.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
We have over a 100 currently on our roster and only 14 of them are transfers from other DI schools. Not saying you were trying to imply anything...just putting that info out there. I'd say that is about avg. for FCS schools...and a lot less than many of them.

SHSU does not have many and we're the school that always gets it from others, probably because of our high-profile QBs. Aston (TXST/Ohio State), Lucas (Troy), Joseph (Houston), Brown (Texas) and Nduka (Jacksonville). That's five...and one was from a non-scholarship school.

Counted SFA - they have three, if I counted right...

I really think 14 is a lot and speaks in this case, probably to your coach trying to fill holes quickly while he develops his program...

McNeese75
September 2nd, 2009, 08:55 PM

Division II maybe but I would bet that is well above the average for FCS schools.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
Division II maybe but I would bet that is well above the average for FCS schools.

Would give you rep points, but I've given you some recently. So unofficial reps to you! xthumbsupx

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM

ONE???????? xwhistlex

NSUDemon98
September 3rd, 2009, 09:52 AM
SHSU does not have many and we're the school that always gets it from others, probably because of our high-profile QBs. Aston (TXST/Ohio State), Lucas (Troy), Joseph (Houston), Brown (Texas) and Nduka (Jacksonville). That's five...and one was from a non-scholarship school.

Counted SFA - they have three, if I counted right...

I really think 14 is a lot and speaks in this case, probably to your coach trying to fill holes quickly while he develops his program...

14 is a lot for this year and is more than what we usually have...maybe I am just thinking that 14 is not that many compared to past SLC teams. Either way, it is always o.k. if it is our own team but not the opposition.

NSUDemon98
September 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

I realized that after I posted and went to look at some other SLC rosters.

We only had 9 last year and only 2 in 2007.

The spike can probably be attributed to Stoker bringing in some more guns to get to that 8-4/playoffs goal last year and they are still with the program. BDP and staff has brought in I think 5.

McNeese75
September 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM

The spike can probably be attributed to Stoker bringing in some more guns to get to that 8-4/playoffs goal last year and they are still with the program. BDP and staff has brought in I think 5.

I think it is common for a new coach to pull in transfers to fill immediate needs.

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM

True....

Frosty The Snowbuff
September 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I think it is common for a new coach to pull in transfers to fill immediate needs.

Also true...

cajundemon
September 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
ONE???????? xwhistlex

Yes ONE demon fan...im sure not the only one.

NSUDemon98
September 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Yes ONE demon fan...im sure not the only one.

I don't think it will be all that close. As I posted on the NSU forum I think we will probably see like a 28-7 or maybe even 35-7 type halftime score and then we score a few TDs in the 2nd half against their 2nd team to make it respectable. I am thinking a 45-21ish type score.

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Went 7-1 (thanks SHSU!)...next week's predictions probably coming out tomorrow.

TT's Predictions
2009 Record: 7-1 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 93-37 (33-22 SLC)

NSUDemon98
September 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Went 7-1 (thanks SHSU!)...next week's predictions probably coming out tomorrow.

TT's Predictions
2009 Record: 7-1 (0-0 SLC)
Total: 93-37 (33-22 SLC)

7-1 but I was also pretty close on the halftime score of the NSU-UofH game...

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 6th, 2009, 11:22 AM
8-0 BABY!

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
7-1 but I was also pretty close on the halftime score of the NSU-UofH game...

What was the Demon turnout in Houston? I always thought you had a nice alum base in Houston for outside of Louisiana - that true?

NSUDemon98
September 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
What was the Demon turnout in Houston? I always thought you had a nice alum base in Houston for outside of Louisiana - that true?

Haven't heard any reports. From what I read prior to the game I would assume around the 500 range...maybe a little more, at least until halftime.

I watched the 2nd half via channelsurfing.net which, other than NSU's performance, was pretty cool and was FREE.

El Gato
September 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
WIU@SHSU/SHSU by 7, Actual: WIU by 7 (correct score difference, wrong team)

Nicholls State @ Air Force/ Air Force by 21, Actual: Air Force by 72 (wow. Knew it would be a blow out but come on)

Texas A&M Commerce vs Southeastern Louisiana/SELA by 17, Actual: SELA by 34 (thought it'd be a bit closer)

Northwestern State @ Houston/UH by 27, Actual: UH by 48 (thought NWST would put up more of a fight...I guess I bought into some of the hype)

Angelo State vs Texas State/Bobcats by 20, Actual: TxState by 20 (Right on!)

Henderson State vs McNeese State/McNeese by 21, Actual: McNeese by 3 (almost lost that one)

Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist/SMU by 7, Actual: SMU by 8 (pretty close)

Central Arkansas @ Hawaii/Hawaii by 15, Actual: Hawaii by 5 (closer than I thought, but I did get the safety)

7-1...thanks SHSU.

Dallas Demon
September 6th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Haven't heard any reports. From what I read prior to the game I would assume around the 500 range...maybe a little more, at least until halftime.

I watched the 2nd half via channelsurfing.net which, other than NSU's performance, was pretty cool and was FREE.

Hard to tell, but we had a very nice turnout at Houston. We had 4 sections of Demon fans, not all packed. I'd say closer to 1000. There were lots of people I haven't seen before.

RabidRabbit
September 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Awesome!! Glad you'll be making a trip to "The Berry" this weekend...the main tailgate area is in Friendship Circle just to the north and east of the stadium...send me a PM and maybe we can meet up prior to the game.

Thanks to Lionsrking2, had a wonderful time at Historic Strawberry Stadium, and afterwards talking football. It's a gorgeous place to watch football.

SLU will be competitive, and a wonderful, fun tough opponent. Look forward to playing them in 2011. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
September 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
There was a RabidRabbit spotting in Hammond? That sounds a bit bothersome!

Good talking to you the other day RR - maybe we'll catch you soon.

lionsrking2
September 6th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks to Lionsrking2, had a wonderful time at Historic Strawberry Stadium, and afterwards talking football. It's a gorgeous place to watch football.

SLU will be competitive, and a wonderful, fun tough opponent. Look forward to playing them in 2011. xthumbsupx

Enjoyed having you RR!! Enjoyed talking Rabbits/Lions football and look forward to doing it again soon...hopefully you'll make it back to Strawberry later in the year.

BEAR
September 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
UCA vs. Hawaii. UCA by 3. (Boo..got that one wrong with 1:22 left in the game)
Western Illinois vs Sam Houston State (9/3) - WI pulls the win. SHSU has nothing in the tank to offer! Maybe spring ball found some good ones but I can't imagine they will have the needed chemistry this early. WI by 7 (Correct)
Nicholls State @ Air Force - Air Force wins X2. AF by 14 (Correct)
Texas A&M Commerce vs Southeastern Louisiana - SELA all the way by 21 (Correct)
Northwestern State @ Houston - Not close, but Ooston by 14 (Correct)
Angelo State vs Texas State -The Cats by 5. (Correct)
Henderson State vs McNeese State - McNeese rolls with their eyes closed by 21. (Correct)
Stephen F. Austin @ Southern Methodist - SMU, this buds for you. by 21(Correct)

7-1. and 1:22 away from being 8-0!