PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown Scrimmage

CFBfan
August 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM
did anyone else attend the GTown scrimmage?
does anyone care??
just in case: the O did not look very good NO running game at all, the line looked a bit slow which is very sad considering that they are not all that big.
The D looked decent, especialy a couple of kids who didn't start but got in for a good amount of time. 2 freshman linebackers looked good, (not sure of the names 49 and I think 45) 1 (number 49) looked very good making some big hits and pass defending very well. Not sure how much of a test it was for the D Line.
QB's looked decent throwing the ball and would have looked better but for a few drops but they weren't live so we'll see when the D can hit them!! and with no running game they could be in for some long saturdays............just my take on it.

DFW HOYA
August 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
These scrimmages are almost never publicized--either someone hears it from their son, or they wander into it.

Points worth remembering:

1. If there is no running game, that's big trouble--Georgetown has a nonexistent receiver corps.

2. Kelly and staff have had three years to build the line and it's still among the smallest in the league. Without speed off the line the line could be too small to open holes.

3. Georgetown has two quality QB's for passing, but the offense is still built on the "shotgun draw". Opponents have figured it out.

89Hen
August 25th, 2009, 11:58 AM
did anyone else attend the GTown scrimmage?
does anyone care??
I went several years ago when our poster LBPop's LB was just a freshman. I would have gone if I were in town... and known about it. xpeacex

LBPop
August 25th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I am entering my sixth season as a "new" Hoya fan. Since the 2006 season I have seen the victories decline, the quality of coaching decline (with one or two exceptions), and the defection of a quality AD. I see no reason to expect anything different this season.

The "Blind Squirrel" theory tells me that this year's team will ring up a win or two, but once again a lot of good kids are going to be asked to kill themselves working each week and come back to do it again after losing on Saturday. It is a testament to these young men that they can keep doing this after years of gut wrenching disappointmentments. Most of these kids were used to winning, but they still had the courage to sign with Georgetown--and then they had to learn how to lose on a regular basis.

I have written before that this may be all that Georgetown wants out of football and that the Patriot League schools don't mind having a doormat on their schedules when that school's name helps enhance the league's academic reputation.

Until the school hires a high energy, young workaholic coach who can break through the malaise, this program is likely to continue on the same path. It's really so sad to watch.

Texcat34
August 25th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hoyas...please join the Pioneer League ASAP. We'd love to have another respected academic institution in the conference (Davidson has a huge alumni base in Washington, DC) and Davidson and Georgetown have had some great battles in the past. Plus, you'd get to travel to San Diego for the Toreros and Bouies Creek, NC for the Camels every once in awhile. xcoolx Good luck this season. Sorry about Curry going nuts against you in 2008.

p.s. I think Davidson and Georgetown renew their series either in 2010 or 2011.

crusader11
August 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
September 5th will be an ugly day for Georgetown football.

colorless raider
August 25th, 2009, 02:46 PM
September 5th will be an ugly day for Georgetown football.

That's downright rude, Crusader 11.

crusader11
August 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM
That's downright rude, Crusader 11.

Truth sometimes hurts. Start actually fielding competitive teams and give some money to the football program and things will only improve. Until then, the beatings will continue.

HoyaMetanoia
August 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hoyas...please join the Pioneer League ASAP. We'd love to have another respected academic institution in the conference (Davidson has a huge alumni base in Washington, DC) and Davidson and Georgetown have had some great battles in the past. Plus, you'd get to travel to San Diego for the Toreros and Bouies Creek, NC for the Camels every once in awhile. xcoolx Good luck this season. Sorry about Curry going nuts against you in 2008.

p.s. I think Davidson and Georgetown renew their series either in 2010 or 2011.

Never. Going. To. Happen.

Georgetown would drop football or go independent before joining the Pioneer League. No academic cache, ridiculous travel and significantly worse quality of play than the Patriot League.

As for the scrimmage, the D definitely outperformed the O. I think the QB situation is just fine, as long as the coaches decide who to play and stick with it. We can't have any of this rotating QBs stuff. Still not sure about the line play and the RBs as a whole need to step it up.

CFBFan, are you a new Hoya parent? I took a couple of cursory glances at the stands and only noticed parents out there.

DFW HOYA
August 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Truth sometimes hurts. Start actually fielding competitive teams and give some money to the football program and things will only improve. Until then, the beatings will continue.

Be careful with the bravado. That can come back to bite a team... or a league.

ngineer
August 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yes, 'on any given Saturday...' I am reminded of the one point win Colgate escaped with at G'town back in 2003...the year they went to the NC game!xnodx

DFW HOYA
August 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Yes, 'on any given Saturday...' I am reminded of the one point win Colgate escaped with at G'town back in 2003...the year they went to the NC game!xnodx

In that game, Georgetown missed two extra points and it took a Colgate touchdown pass with six seconds to play to win by one, 20-19. An early season loss that day, and Colgate might not have been the same team by December.

Conversely, for a team which lost its first three games by a combined 12 points, a 5-6 Georgetown team in 2002 could have been a six or seven win team with a good start that year. Instead, they started 0-3, finished 4-8 and hasn't seen a better season since.

WildPard
August 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM
[QUOTE=HoyaMetanoia;1389238]Never. Going. To. Happen.

Georgetown would drop football or go independent before joining the Pioneer League. No academic cache, ridiculous travel and significantly worse quality of play than the Patriot League.

WildPard
August 26th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Never. Going. To. Happen.

As for the scrimmage, the D definitely outperformed the O. I think the QB situation is just fine, as long as the coaches decide who to play and stick with it. We can't have any of this rotating QBs stuff. Still not sure about the line play and the RBs as a whole need to step it up.

CFBFan, are you a new Hoya parent? I took a couple of cursory glances at the stands and only noticed parents out there.

I think you hit it in the head and I'm being serious --Georgetown should drop football. If you're not going to even try to be competitive, why bother. You cut down the Pioneer League, but you wouldn't be much more competitive there. You'd be a win for Dayton, San Diego, Jacksonville, Morehead State every year, be a notch below Butler, Drake, Marist, and Davidson and probably beat Campbell and Valpo. In a great year, you'd go 4-6 and in a bad year, 2-8. So maybe it is time to throw in the towel.
I've seen G'town football up close as a recruit's dad and it was a complete joke-from their facilities to the equipment to the quality of coaching.

CFBfan
August 26th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I think you hit it in the head and I'm being serious --Georgetown should drop football. If you're not going to even try to be competitive, why bother. You cut down the Pioneer League, but you wouldn't be much more competitive there. You'd be a win for Dayton, San Diego, Jacksonville, Morehead State every year, be a notch below Butler, Drake, Marist, and Davidson and probably beat Campbell and Valpo. In a great year, you'd go 4-6 and in a bad year, 2-8. So maybe it is time to throw in the towel.
I've seen G'town football up close as a recruit's dad and it was a complete joke-from their facilities to the equipment to the quality of coaching.

So which Pioneer League team does your kid go to WildPard???

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2009, 06:40 PM
In a great year, you'd go 4-6 and in a bad year, 2-8. So maybe it is time to throw in the towel.

Either your son didn't get the acceptance letter from Georgetown or you've got a lot of Pioneer League antipathy going on there. xeyebrowx

WildPard
August 26th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Either your son didn't get the acceptance letter from Georgetown or you've got a lot of Pioneer League antipathy going on there. xeyebrowx

He was easily accepted at Georgetown and the 4 Ivies he applied to, but after two visits and comparing it to other schools recruiting him, it quickly slid to number 6 out of the 6 schools he was interested in attending.
Please answer this question for me. Georgetown tries to compete with the Ivies and the upper academic echelon of the PL for their players. Why would an outstanding student who is also happens to be very serious about playing in a high caliber, well managed, financially backed, professionally/competently coached, and student/community/alumni supported football program pick G'town over the Ivies, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, or Colgate? I beleive G'town's problem is that they truly think they will attract the same quality football player as the schools mentioned above solely based on their academic reputation. Well, you're behind the Ivies academically and not that far ahead of the others to make that much difference. Your strategy hasn't worked for about 10 years now. When will they see the light? Either drastically upgrade the program across the board or drop it.

CFBfan
August 26th, 2009, 07:53 PM
He was easily accepted at Georgetown and the 4 Ivies he applied to, but after two visits and comparing it to other schools recruiting him, it quickly slid to number 6 out of the 6 schools he was interested in attending.
Please answer this question for me. Georgetown tries to compete with the Ivies and the upper academic echelon of the PL for their players. Why would an outstanding student who is also happens to be very serious about playing in a high caliber, well managed, financially backed, professionally/competently coached, and student/community/alumni supported football program pick G'town over the Ivies, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, or Colgate? I beleive G'town's problem is that they truly think they will attract the same quality football player as the schools mentioned above solely based on their academic reputation. Well, you're behind the Ivies academically and not that far ahead of the others to make that much difference. Your strategy hasn't worked for about 10 years now. When will they see the light? Either drastically upgrade the program across the board or drop it.

and your son is at what school now??

DFW HOYA
August 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Why would an outstanding student who is also happens to be very serious about playing in a high caliber, well managed, financially backed, professionally/competently coached, and student/community/alumni supported football program pick G'town over the Ivies, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, or Colgate?

That's an easy answer. The academic, cultural, and career opportunities as a student in the Nation's Capital provide an experience unlike any other PL or Ivy school. Add the rigor and ethics of a Jesuit education and the ability to compete in a broad-based athletics program, and a student-athlete at Georgetown can leverage a four year education into a lifetime of opportunities and leadership. (Ask the Georgetown defensive tackle and foreign service major from 1970 who spoke at the GU spring banquet. He is now the U.S. Army Chief of Staff.)

Yes, a young man can get a great education at any Ivy school, at a Stanford, Rice, Virginia, Northwestern, et al.--these are Georgetown's academic peer institutions, after all. Some Pl teams may be academic peers, some are not, but as a Tier I research university it is most certainly not the schools of the Pioneer League, and that's not a slight on Davidson. I doubt there are any students (much less football players) choosing among Georgetown, Campbell, and Jacksonville, any more than if someone was choosing Georgetown among Siena or St. Peter's.

Choosing Penn or Brown or Cornell is a fine choice as is Georgetown. And every year, there are kids that make solid, reasoned choices to attend Penn or Brown or Cornell or Georgetown with great expectations. Properly funded, properly constructed, and with a more reasonable league admissions policy, I do not see why even more talented players make commitments to attend Georgetown. Your comments are more bait than a serious discussion point. Even the most jaded PL observers out there will confirm that Georgetown can and has recruited talented players away from their schools, in position if not always in depth.

You mention financial backing, and while Georgetown obviously trails the PL, its football budget is at or near the median of the Ivy schools. Are 3-4 of these schools failing your funding standard as well?

Finally, you keep referring to competent coaching, so I'm not sure if this is referring to the current staff or its predecessors. You may have something against Kevin Kelly's game plans, but his resume of 20 years of asst. and OC responsibilities at major college programs from Tulane to Syracuse to Marshall to Navy is more than competent. (Entering year 4 with his record is another challenge, of course, and it's his to make the most of it.)

WildPard
August 26th, 2009, 09:33 PM
DFW--great points. I agree a G'town education and DC do offer some unique opportunities for students, particularly gov/political science majors and medical students. Just as Boston offers some unique opportunities for medical students as does New York for finance/economic majors. Each institution we're talking about can throw out alums with amazing accomplishments in government, medicine, and economics (three USMC Commandants in a row in the 80's and 90's were from Lafayette or Villanova). I guess my frustration with G'town was that how could they offer so much in academics and so much in other sports, but woefully neglect football.
My comments about the coaching and the coaching staff stem from my experience watching them recruit, watching them prepare the team in pregame, and watching them on the field during a game and at the one day camp they hold in the summer. Their level of enthusiasm, preparation and knowledge seemed far below what we witnessed at other schools visited. For example, 5 of the 6 other schools we visited as a family had an informative and entertaining pre and post game programs for recruits and their family. 5 of the other 6 took the time to visit the high school and our home. 5 of the other 6 called weekly and sent personal letters from the head coach. I'm not alone in this feeling, they also recruited 3 other local players we got to know on the recruiting trail and all families felt the same way (1 is at Yale, 1 at Harvard, and 1 at Furman). We just felt the administration and coaching staff went about everything in their football program at half speed when compared to other schools.
I'm not trying to bait you into an argument or bash G'town. These were my (and a few other families') observations about the football program, the facilities, and the coaches.

colorless raider
August 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM

You got that right. We won with a trick play with 10 secs left on the clock. Whew!

LBPop
August 27th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I guess my frustration with G'town was that how could they offer so much in academics and so much in other sports, but woefully neglect football.

I can completely identify with your observations and concerns as I was in your position about six years ago. However, I would add that the coaching staff at that time was far more impressive. My son could have been walking around the streets of New Haven, the inner city of Philadelphia, the outskirts of Hanover, or the quaint city of Providence. But he decided that he would rather spend four years in one of the finest sections of the Nations Capitol. Every one of those other schools would have given him a wonderful education. He chose Georgetown and actually surprised an Assistant Dean of the business school who candidly asked me, "Why Georgetown?" The simple answer was that in total, he loved the place. And I guess that's what we all do when confronted with difficult choices...we learn all we can and make the decision.

After four years of football with a total of 10 victories, that young man is a devoted Hoya who is as frustrated with the football program as he is a huge supporter of the school. He was able to land a top job in New York and he would do it all over again just the same way. If your son, Wildpard, is as pleased with his college experience as mine was, you will indeed be a very grateful Dad.

CFBfan
August 27th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I can completely identify with your observations and concerns as I was in your position about six years ago. However, I would add that the coaching staff at that time was far more impressive. My son could have been walking around the streets of New Haven, the inner city of Philadelphia, the outskirts of Hanover, or the quaint city of Providence. But he decided that he would rather spend four years in one of the finest sections of the Nations Capitol. Every one of those other schools would have given him a wonderful education. He chose Georgetown and actually surprised an Assistant Dean of the business school who candidly asked me, "Why Georgetown?" The simple answer was that in total, he loved the place. And I guess that's what we all do when confronted with difficult choices...we learn all we can and make the decision.

After four years of football with a total of 10 victories, that young man is a devoted Hoya who is as frustrated with the football program as he is a huge supporter of the school. He was able to land a top job in New York and he would do it all over again just the same way. If your son, Wildpard, is as pleased with his college experience as mine was, you will indeed be a very grateful Dad.

I've asked WildPard twice where his son is going and no answer yet......I'll try a third time: WildPard, where is your son going??

WildPard
August 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=LBPop;1390493] "Why Georgetown?" The simple answer was that in total, he loved the place. And I guess that's what we all do when confronted with difficult choices...we learn all we can and make the decision.

QUOTE]

LBPop-very well said. I could sense your pride in decision and his success. The bottom line on the whole college selection process is that once they feel comfortable at a place or fall in love with some aspect of the college or with everything about the college, the search is over. So far, so good as far as my son goes. He visited several schools and completely fell in love with one and that's where he's at now. Was it the best choice academically--probably not. Was it the best choice athletically--probably not. But it was his choice and he knew it was the place for him after his weekend visit.
CFBFan-I'm not trying to duck the question of where he's enrolled, but he already has enough pressure on him with school and football--no need for me to add to it.

CFBfan
August 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=LBPop;1390493] "Why Georgetown?" The simple answer was that in total, he loved the place. And I guess that's what we all do when confronted with difficult choices...we learn all we can and make the decision.

QUOTE]

LBPop-very well said. I could sense your pride in decision and his success. The bottom line on the whole college selection process is that once they feel comfortable at a place or fall in love with some aspect of the college or with everything about the college, the search is over. So far, so good as far as my son goes. He visited several schools and completely fell in love with one and that's where he's at now. Was it the best choice academically--probably not. Was it the best choice athletically--probably not. But it was his choice and he knew it was the place for him after his weekend visit.
CFBFan-I'm not trying to duck the question of where he's enrolled, but he already has enough pressure on him with school and football--no need for me to add to it.

And now after not answering the simple question of where did your son go WildPard I now assume that after ripping Georgetown and acting like you and your son were far above it's standards both athleticly and academicaly I must conclude that he was NOT highly recruited as a player and he is not at a university that is adacdemicaly on par with Georgetown which by the way is fine had you not shot your mouth off!

WildPard
August 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
CFBFan--first, I never ripped them academically--matter of fact, I praised their academics. Second, as a whole, their athletic program is tops-except for football and other parents and alums agreed with me. But, you're right my son could have never got in there or could never have played there, that's why they hosted him for a weekend--just to be nice to us and we thank them for that.
What's your connection to Georgetown and where do you get your expertise from big mouth?

Franks Tanks
August 27th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I've asked WildPard twice where his son is going and no answer yet......I'll try a third time: WildPard, where is your son going??

WildPard is being so cryptic for some reason. His kid playes either for Davidson or Lafayette-- I believe Davidson. Nobody is going to rip your son or anything people are just curious.

CFBfan
August 28th, 2009, 06:11 AM
CFBFan--first, I never ripped them academically--matter of fact, I praised their academics. Second, as a whole, their athletic program is tops-except for football and other parents and alums agreed with me. But, you're right my son could have never got in there or could never have played there, that's why they hosted him for a weekend--just to be nice to us and we thank them for that.
What's your connection to Georgetown and where do you get your expertise from big mouth?

First....YOU have the BIG mouth, here are your statements:
"I think you hit it in the head and I'm being serious --Georgetown should drop football. If you're not going to even try to be competitive, why bother. You cut down the Pioneer League, but you wouldn't be much more competitive there. You'd be a win for Dayton, San Diego, Jacksonville, Morehead State every year, be a notch below Butler, Drake, Marist, and Davidson and probably beat Campbell and Valpo. In a great year, you'd go 4-6 and in a bad year, 2-8. So maybe it is time to throw in the towel.
I've seen G'town football up close as a recruit's dad and it was a complete joke-from their facilities to the equipment to the quality of coaching. "
Why would an outstanding student who is also happens to be very serious about playing in a high caliber, well managed, financially backed, professionally/competently coached, and student/community/alumni supported football program pick G'town over the Ivies, Lafayette, Lehigh, Bucknell, or Colgate? I beleive G'town's problem is that they truly think they will attract the same quality football player as the schools mentioned above solely based on their academic reputation. Well, you're behind the Ivies academically and not that far ahead of the others to make that much difference. "

Again, YOUR statements WildPard!! AND you still have not answered the question...it's not a trick question, it's a very easy one: "Where does your son go to school"??
"

HoyaMetanoia
August 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Again, YOUR statements WildPard!! AND you still have not answered the question...it's not a trick question, it's a very easy one: "Where does your son go to school"??
"

Let's all chill a little bit. I believe his son goes to Lafayette, but I'm not sure. As you mentioned you were at the scrimmage, I also have to believe that you are a Hoya parent. As parents, emotions can run high when it comes to kids, but let's all realize there is no real dispute here.

WildPard
August 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
CFBFan--I ask again--where did I say anything bad about G'town"s academics or athletics?. The only thing I said was terrible, and my comments were backed by another poster with very good insights into the situation, was their football program. Otherwise, it's an absolutely ,amazing academic institution and a top quality athletic program--other than the way it treats football. Look at my screen name, I attended and played at one, my son attends and plays at the other. Apologize for the first big mouth comment--this has not been that type of forum in the past and I'd like to keep it that way.