PDA

View Full Version : ASU Fanfest '09 and Scrimmage

SideLine Shooter
August 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Great crowd, fun time seeing old friends and some impressive play in the 90 minute scrimmage.

JROCK98
August 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Man is this years recruiting class athletic or what? They appear to be the real deal!

SideLine Shooter
August 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
Man is this years recruiting class athletic or what? They appear to be the real deal!

1 word. LOADED!!!!!xnodxxthumbsupx

Applete
August 22nd, 2009, 11:03 PM
1 word. LOADED!!!!!xnodxxthumbsupx

Two Words-----Travaris Cadet.

Being 3 deep at quarterback is a good luxury to have.

The Moody1
August 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM
8,500 in attendance for a scrimmage. We probably get more for a scrimmage than more than half of FCS get for real games.

SideLine Shooter
August 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
Two Words-----Travaris Cadet.

Being 3 deep at quarterback is a good luxury to have.

You are CORRECT! This kid is the REAL DEAL. His passing at times is pinpoint accurate and a lot of zip on the ball. Not trying to take anything away from D. Presley, but I was anxious to see T. Cadet after what I had heard. This kid is fast and strong. Very impressed.

I think we might be ok at RB this year also. Last year we lost our 4 top RB's to injury. This year we may have enough RB's to get us through. I was impressed with Cedric Baker yesterday. He reminded me of K-Rich hitting the holes. By the way, at times the Oline was making some nice lanes to run thru. At other times the defense was unbelievable. FAST, hard hitting and allowed no offense. The defense really looks hungry.

I know this is a homer report, but I'm sure I am like a lot of other fans. At this time of year everyone is excited that it is time for football, and optimistic of their teams chances of a great year. That happening depends on so many things coming together and staying healthy, catching some breaks, and the coaches keeping the team united as a team.

As one of my best friends, a retired H.S. football coach use to tell me. "Playing football at Thanksgiving is just a wonderful feeling." I certainly agree.

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
I see one of you reported 8500 fans... is that accurate? that is a ton... glad to hear all the good reports... could cadet pass pressley on the depth chart next year and pull a edwards over elder???

SideLine Shooter
August 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
I see one of you reported 8500 fans... is that accurate? that is a ton... glad to hear all the good reports... could cadet pass pressley on the depth chart next year and pull a edwards over elder???

As we all know, "anything is possible." We have so many ex-H.S. QB's on this team.

One kid that I got to see play H.S. ball that is a true freshman, that they have put at receiver is Jamil Lott ran this offense in H.S. He is a big kid and very capable at QB also. He may end up being a great receiver, but is available. This is a good problem to have.

It is hard to say how accurate the 8500 is. My guess was between 8 &10 thousand.xthumbsupx

The Moody1
August 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM

http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=204779650

appmaj
August 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
Great turnout!!!

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

wish i couldve been there... looks like a great time

KiddBrewer
August 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM

im not saying anything, so DO NOT QUOTE ME for any reason on this...all just hear-say....but some people on the team believe just that could happen, before next year.

do not quote me. nothing of much substance there, just what a few people have mentioned to me.

james_lawfirm
August 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
8,500 in attendance for a scrimmage. We probably get more for a scrimmage than more than half of FCS get for real games.

Yeah, and I don't think that number was completely accurate either. It looked like to me that 2,500 left after getting autographs & we had about 7,500 in the stands for the scrimmage. My guess was more like 10k.

They used the SWAG method - sophisticated, wild a$$ guess.

SideLine Shooter
August 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Yeah, and I don't think that number was completely accurate either. It looked like to me that 2,500 left after getting autographs & we had about 7,500 in the stands for the scrimmage. My guess was more like 10k.

exactly.

AppMan
August 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM
Yet, when we signed Cadet some of you laughed at me after I predicted he could possibly take over the back up spot.

KiddBrewer
August 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM

do the east stands seat 8500 at "capacity"? if so, my guess is that they just looked at the stands and said....."hey steve, how many seats are there up there? ummm bout 8500 i reckon.....looks pretty full, huh? ......yep........aight lets call it 8500"xcoffeex

AppStsGr8
August 24th, 2009, 07:07 AM
You left out "mayonaise" ...

Mayonaise alot of people over there! Must be 'bout 8500.

Touchdown Yosef
August 24th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I'm not sure I watched the same scrimmage as most of you when looking at our two QB's. Both can run very well and I was more impressed with Cadet's ability to run but I was also blown away at their inability to throw anything over 10 yards consistently and the truly bad passes that they both made. Even watching them practice they were throwing balls into the ground and over receivers heads.

I was very impressed with the defense but its always hard to gauge when you are playing yourself but I have high expectations for our defense this year. The offense seemed to come alive better at the end but I was disappointed that the big pass play for a TD was on what looked to me like a totally blown coverage.

I was also glad to see AE in tennis shoes but sad to see him still on crutches. My gut tells me he's not going to be ready to play at ECU but I say my prayers every night for a speedy recovery.

Touchdown Yosef
August 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM
One other thing, how bout our kicker booming field goals from the 46 and some of those punts he was letting go. He looked great!

smallcollegefbfan
August 24th, 2009, 08:23 AM

I know many times those are estimates that are sometimes over or under estimated correctly but if that number is correct then only 44 teams, including ASU, average more than that for their home games. Only 7 D2 teams average more than that as well. That is not bad at all.

asknoquarter21
August 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure I watched the same scrimmage as most of you when looking at our two QB's. Both can run very well and I was more impressed with Cadet's ability to run but I was also blown away at their inability to throw anything over 10 yards consistently and the truly bad passes that they both made. Even watching them practice they were throwing balls into the ground and over receivers heads.

I was very impressed with the defense but its always hard to gauge when you are playing yourself but I have high expectations for our defense this year. The offense seemed to come alive better at the end but I was disappointed that the big pass play for a TD was on what looked to me like a totally blown coverage.

I was also glad to see AE in tennis shoes but sad to see him still on crutches. My gut tells me he's not going to be ready to play at ECU but I say my prayers every night for a speedy recovery.

I talked to my former roommate (who is still at app) he saw Armanti a few days ago. He was pretty frustrated. From what he said, I would be more worried about the McNeese game than the ECU game. He won't be playing much against ECU if at all.

Appinator
August 24th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yet, when we signed Cadet some of you laughed at me after I predicted he could possibly take over the back up spot.

You are right and I was one of them. Crow actually tastes good when a player surprises you with how good they actually are.

It even mentions how he has been takings a lot of the first teams snaps in the scrimmage in the Observer today : http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college-football/story/905175.html

I do have to agree with Touchdown Yosef though, he did look suspect throwing the ball. I still think when kick off time comes DP will be manning the starting roll, just like Elder was the actual #2 to Armanti's #1 going into the NCSU game. The guy just spent the last year and a half working at the WR spot at another school, I understand why it is going to take him a little while to work on his mechanics for more accurate throws.

The Moody1
August 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I talked to my former roommate (who is still at app) he saw Armanti a few days ago. He was pretty frustrated. From what he said, I would be more worried about the McNeese game than the ECU game. He won't be playing much against ECU if at all.

From someone who saw Armanti at practice today.

"Armanti was at practice this morning. He was working with coaches and trainers after the morning practice. He was making all the cuts and moves on his foot. I hope he is going to be OK and healthy for 2009 season."

Sounds promising.

Touchdown Yosef
August 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
From someone who saw Armanti at practice today.

"Armanti was at practice this morning. He was working with coaches and trainers after the morning practice. He was making all the cuts and moves on his foot. I hope he is going to be OK and healthy for 2009 season."

Sounds promising.

crutches yesterday and cutting today? Wow.

Pitbull
August 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

GREAT TURNOUT !!!!

AppStsGr8
August 24th, 2009, 04:10 PM
crutches yesterday and cutting today? Wow.

There's a difference between cutting when you can choose exactly where you want to go and cutting in a game situation - between 15 minutes and a full game. I still can't see any way AE's 100% by ECU.

SideLine Shooter
August 24th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Some of Cadet's passes were off but they were thrown so the defender didn't have a shot at them also. He did make one beautiful pass across the middle in tight coverage for a TD that was pinpoint accurate.

As you stated, the kicking game has absolutely IMPROVED. It really needed to though. Now if we can just cover kick-off and punt returns.

ericsaid
August 24th, 2009, 04:23 PM
One other thing, how bout our kicker booming field goals from the 46 and some of those punts he was letting go. He looked great!

Sam Martin seemed to have a stronger leg in everyway possible and more accurate than Jason Vitaris.

If he starts being more consistent with his punts he'll be great. One punt during his punting drills went 56 yards and the returner had to call a fair catch!!!!! The 56 yards I counted from where the ball was snapped.

Skjellyfetti
August 24th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Some of Cadet's passes were off but they were thrown so the defender didn't have a shot at them also. He did make one beautiful pass across the middle in tight coverage for a TD that was pinpoint accurate.

He's still got a long way to go throwing the ball. According to Brian on Rivals, he's only completed ~20% of his passes in fall camp.

phillyAPP
August 24th, 2009, 06:15 PM
He's still got a long way to go throwing the ball. According to Brian on Rivals, he's only completed ~20% of his passes in fall camp.

He revised that # to be ~40%.

Cadet needs more time but the athletes at ASU are scary.

CrackerRiley
August 24th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I completely forgot this was happening this week because I was busy moving in to my new place on Saturday. I drove thru campus thinking it was just all the new freshman walking around... then I saw ppl tailgating! I couldn't figure it our for awhile. haha

SideLine Shooter
August 24th, 2009, 07:31 PM
He revised that # to be ~40%.

Cadet needs more time but the athletes at ASU are scary.

Wonderful, ain't it!xnodxxnodxxnodx

KiddBrewer
August 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM
i meant to ask somebody.....what is the deal with speakers/sound system? didnt we get a new system, or am i just makin that up?

ASU_MBA
August 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
yeah it sounded like they had Jackson in a tin can or something...I wonder if only half the system was hooked up because of the construction....the volume was low....overall it was a bad bad sound....

KiddBrewer
August 25th, 2009, 05:16 PM
yeah it sounded like they had Jackson in a tin can or something...I wonder if only half the system was hooked up because of the construction....the volume was low....overall it was a bad bad sound....

well that was just 2 speakers that were on top of the press box...i dont expect those to even be part of the sound system during the season....temporary ones im sure.