PDA

View Full Version : McNeese may be really loaded at running back

JohnStOnge
August 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
We'll have to wait and see how things play out, but it could be the case. We know about Toderick Pendland. In a thread about "new players" who might make an impression, I wrote about Champlain Babin as he put up eye popping numbers in a couple of high school all star games.

Now there's this Javaris Murray guy. In two scrimmages, Murray has run for 197 yards on 20 carries. Babin has run for 128 yards on 19 carries and added a 92 yard TD reception. Meanwhile, they've also got senior Elrick Jones; who averaged 4.1 yards per carry last year in backing up Pendland.

There's always the thing about how it could mean that McNeese has some serious problems on defense. But I'm pretty hopeful about the idea that they've got some really good running backs.

ASU_MBA
August 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
How was your run D last year and how many starters do you return....I believe I read 4...is that correct?
I am excited about our game in 3 weeks.....went to the App scrimmage today and we look solid.
I would be shocked if Edwards plays against ECU so he should be rested for the 12th. I knew you had one stud in the backfield (Pendland) I did not know you had a barn....should be fun to watch....may be a track meet....

JohnStOnge
August 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
How was your run D last year and how many starters do you return....I believe I read 4...is that correct? ..

The run defense was decent but not great last year. If you count transitionals it was 33rd in yards per game (118.91) and 50th in yards per rush (3.86) among 123 FCS teams. I think the number about 4 returning starters on that side of the ball is correct or very close. Also, both starting linebackers sat out yesterday's scrimmage.

As I've written before, Babin rushed for 191 yards on only 12 carries in one high school all star game (Red Stick Bowl involving Baton Rouge area Parish players) then rushed for 47 yards in only three carries in the Bayou Bowl involving Houston and Southeast Texas area players vs. (mostly) South Louisiana players. I 'm not aware of Murray being in any all star games.

It could very well be that what we're seeing are indications that McNeese is really going to have problems on defense. We won't know until live action starts and it's hard to say how much playing time the freshmen will see. But there are some things that make me hopeful that they've really got something.

One is that it's pretty clear that the McNeese fans who went to the scrimmages, are really into the program, and have been following the Cowboys for many years are really excited about the freshman backs. Another minor thing is that Pendland, who we know is a very solid performer (6.53 yards per carry during 2008), has averaged 6.0 yards per carry during scrimmages while Babin has averaged 6.74 and Murray an eye-popping 9.85. Lots of complications in making comparisons there as well, but still encouraging with respect to the caliber of the new young backs.

McTailGator
August 23rd, 2009, 12:00 PM
How was your run D last year and how many starters do you return....I believe I read 4...is that correct?
I am excited about our game in 3 weeks.....went to the App scrimmage today and we look solid.
I would be shocked if Edwards plays against ECU so he should be rested for the 12th. I knew you had one stud in the backfield (Pendland) I did not know you had a barn....should be fun to watch....may be a track meet....

I think the fact that the type of Spread O we play is very run friendly, and our running backs shine in it if they have some speed and ability to ellude.

All of our RB's have speed to burn.

Our D-Line is young and still learning, but they will probably not see as good a stable of running backs from anyone else than our own offense.

McNeese72
August 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Rumor has it that Murray broke Quinten Lawrence's 40 yard record.

I did get Louis B. to tell me that Murray did run a 4.3.

All I know is he is very fast. As far as Babin, a lot of the veteran fans say he reminds them of Tony Citizen. Wiltz hasn't gotten much work but looks good when he runs.

As far as the veteran runningbacks, Pendland gets a very limited number of carries during the scrimmages. We know what he can do.

Elrick Jones, who looked very good in the Spring Game, has been dinged up so far in the fall workouts and has yet to play in a scrimmage. I heard that he was practicing again but was held out of contact work.

Doc

appfan2008
August 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
cant wait for you guys to make it to boone... i cant wait... it is the next time my wife and i will be able to return and we are so excited to get back on the mountain...

AppStsGr8
August 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
It sounds like the App - McNeese game may be a score-a-thon if those running backs elude App's defense. I'm sure our D will be as well prepared for them as they can be. I can't wait to host you McNeese fans to some App hospitality.

james_lawfirm
August 23rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Our D-Line is young and still learning, but they will probably not see as good a stable of running backs from anyone else than our own offense.

Well, I can think of another team that may give them a challenge.

McTailGator
August 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM
It sounds like the App - McNeese game may be a score-a-thon if those running backs elude App's defense. I'm sure our D will be as well prepared for them as they can be. I can't wait to host you McNeese fans to some App hospitality.

I am too.

I just found out that both of our starting LB's were held out of that last scrimage, which would have accounted for why the RB's were able to break loose so much.

I hope we get them healthy before game 2.

txphi592
August 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM

How do Texas State running backs compare?

JohnStOnge
August 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Well, I can think of another team that may give them a challenge.

I think all McNeese fans know that the Cowboys will be a big underdog at App State. All I think TG is saying is that McNeese probably won't see a team with a better set, overall, of running backs than it has. That's just one position. Me, I don't know if "probably" is the right word at this point. Right now I'd say the right word is "possibly."

I have not seen the McNeese scrimages. All I know is that it appears that those who have been looking at these things are more excited about what they're seeing at running back than I've ever seen them (at least since the internet world really developed). And I can see the stats. Plus I'm familiar with the high school career of Champlain Babin and it appears as though that Javaris Murray guy is at least as good and possibly better.

Then there's Marcus Wiltz, who has not done as well as Babin or Murray in scrimmages but was McNeese's highest rated recruit.

JohnStOnge
August 23rd, 2009, 08:42 PM

We will see. I don't know anything about Texas State running backs other than Bush.

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
John,

I think it's great our kids have done well in scrimmages, but let's be real. Our defense only returns four starters from a group that can only be described as "porous" by our standards...

That TWO of those guys weren't available for the scrimmages leaves me underwhelmed, ya know?

The first game is Henderson State, so I don't know how much that's really going to show us...though, I know Henderson's gonna show up to play, with their chin-straps buckled...

Personally, I think we're rated way too high, without any objective reason other than some of the voters are giving us a nostalgia vote based on historic strength of the program.

Right now, though, I'd say those votes are incredibly optimistic.

I hope we can be competitive with App State on the 12th...

McNeese72
August 24th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Yep.

And there is a lot more to the game than just runningbacks. :)

I hope we don't get embarassed in Boone.

Defense still has to prove themselves.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
August 24th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Somebody told me that you might not be makin' the trip to Boone, what's up with that? Who's gonna take the pictures? ;)

crossfire07
August 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
like Coach V said, there is a lot of things we will not know until the ball is kicked off and for me that can't come soon enough.

McTailGator
August 24th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Who cares...

McNeese will have the leading O in the SLC this year.

I just hope the defense can stop someone.

HPCAT
August 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Who cares...

McNeese will have the leading O in the SLC this year.

I just hope the defense can stop someone.

Alright, I will take the bait on this one buddy..........LOL

This most definitely calls for a friendly wager.

I will take a case of Shiner Bock longnecks after TXST leads the SLC and is a top 5 FCS offense by the playoffs.

Name your poison..........:p

HPCAT
August 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Yep.

And there is a lot more to the game than just runningbacks. :)

I hope we don't get embarassed in Boone.

Defense still has to prove themselves.

Doc

Did MSU lose the core of their defense to graduation ?

I thought you had one of the best defenses in the league last year.

McTailGator
August 24th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Alright, I will take the bait on this one buddy..........LOL

This most definitely calls for a friendly wager.

I will take a case of Shiner Bock longnecks after TXST leads the SLC and is a top 5 FCS offense by the playoffs.

Name your poison..........:p

I'll take it! Not because you guys won't have any O, but because we are simply loaded on O and DEEP Everywhere!

BTW, are you still off of 249? Not many of you HP guys there anymore.

I see Lone Star CC just bought the main campus and is turning it into a college. GREAT for my Home value.

McNeese72
August 24th, 2009, 04:56 PM

We had decent stats but we gave up too many big plays last season on defense. We have a lot of young guys in the secondary and defensive line that have to prove themselves. And right now both our starting LB's are dinged up and not scrimmaging.

On offense we are looking good but we are playing our defense so I don't know if our offense is that good or is our defense bad. I still think our offensive line has to prove themselves against outside competition. If they prove to be very capable, we should have a very good offense.

Doc

JohnStOnge
August 24th, 2009, 06:05 PM

McNeese did have one of the best defenses in the league last year. In fact the Cowboys were #1 in total defense in the Southland. But that's kind of like saying you have the highest grade point average among students that flunked out of high school as Southland defenses were awful. McNeese, rated #1 in total defense in the Southland, was 61st in total defense among all FCS teams.

I went through all kinds of discussions about whether or not Southland defenses looked so bad because Southland offenses were so good. My conclusion is that Southland defenses were bad. I say that because, when Southland offenses played against playoff caliber opponents from other FCS leagues, they were controlled pretty well.

I do think McNeese's offense performed very well against a solid BCS league team at North Carolina. But that was before the Cowboys lost two of their three starting wide receivers.

JohnStOnge
August 24th, 2009, 06:10 PM
By the way, some of the discussion I posted above is why I don't put a lot of stock in McNeese losing a lot of players on defense. It was, at best, an average defense. You're talking about a team that finished #3 in FCS total offense that did not make the playoffs. So it's kind of like: The bad news is that they don't have a lot of players off last year's defense back. But the good news is they don't have a lot of players off of last year's defense back.

I know that's kind of cruel to say but it's the truth, I think. I guess it could be worse. But odds are that it won't be.

crossfire07
August 25th, 2009, 12:24 PM
as long as that "Gimme 3 Steps" is gone I will be happy and since someone has departed I think it is. :)