PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Scrimmage Today

ngineer
August 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Went over to the Goodman Complex today and saw the controlled scrimmage. A LOT of starters did not play due to various injuries. Most not too serious. Three of the four LBs were out. Only Cohen played and showed his usual quickness to anywhere he wants to go.
The kicking game, which to me is the biggest concern, did reveal some cause for opitimism. Randazza made 4/4 from 41 yards, but that is about the limit of his comfort zone. The freshman, Peery, from Balitimore showed a HUGE leg, but needs to work on accuracy. Was 1/4 from 47 yards, but showed he could easily hit from 55 or more if a shot were needed.
Punter Smith, after a slow start, got off some very nice booming 50 yarders with decent hang time.
The WRs caught most everything coming their way. More work needs to be done on routes as there were a number of obvious miscommunications between them and QB on where they were going. But there is some speed, and decent hands. TE Wojdowski had several nice grabs. Artim and Soeprasetyo showed some nice moves after catching and Zurn was sure-handed.
Biggest and pleasant surprise is at RB..Walker ran hard and well. Campbell, and freshmen Kablan from Minnesota and Barket from Schuylkill County showed nice flashes....ESPECIALLY Kablan..Reminded of the style of Kenny Gamble. He could be the real deal in another year. Listed at 5'11" 185lbs, but has a frame that can certainly put on another 15-20 lbs. Good speed and moves. So we will have some depth. Soph. Fitz also showed some very nice flashes with hard running.
QBs are solidified. Clark is definitely the starter, but Lum has an excellent arm, though a little erratic at times. Frosh Colvin showed EXCELLENT speed on some roll outs where he took off.

Defense was so diluted due to injury that there is no other news other than to say that they were highly spirited. LB Groome (So. 235 lbs) had a beautiful pick and return. BJ Benning and did a nice job coming up the middle. Flizak, aka the Stork, put on some decent pressure, but also got out of position a bit..needs to be 'under control', but with his size a real potential.

With the end of two-days hopefully a lot of healing will occur between now and Sept. 5. Most are pulls, a couple concussions, and twists.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM
Good news, thanks a lot. I did hear from a friend on campus earlier this week that D did have an assortment of nicks. Lets get'em healthy for CCSU. Certainly by Nova, where we'll need every body.

Hope Flizack can play like the Stork and raise some havoc with his size.

Colvin was also an A-S db in High school beisides being A-S gr/3 at qb. The 3 give us remarkable depth at qb as we now seem to have at rb, unlike last year. Coen did describe Kablan as a speed runner. Cannot wait for season to start.

colorless raider
August 22nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Went over to the Goodman Complex today and saw the controlled scrimmage. A LOT of starters did not play due to various injuries. Most not too serious. Three of the four LBs were out. Only Cohen played and showed his usual quickness to anywhere he wants to go.
The kicking game, which to me is the biggest concern, did reveal some cause for opitimism. Randazza made 4/4 from 41 yards, but that is about the limit of his comfort zone. The freshman, Peery, from Balitimore showed a HUGE leg, but needs to work on accuracy. Was 1/4 from 47 yards, but showed he could easily hit from 55 or more if a shot were needed.
Punter Smith, after a slow start, got off some very nice booming 50 yarders with decent hang time.
The WRs caught most everything coming their way. More work needs to be done on routes as there were a number of obvious miscommunications between them and QB on where they were going. But there is some speed, and decent hands. TE Wojdowski had several nice grabs. Artim and Soeprasetyo showed some nice moves after catching and Zurn was sure-handed.
Biggest and pleasant surprise is at RB..Walker ran hard and well. Campbell, and freshmen Kablan from Minnesota and Barket from Schuylkill County showed nice flashes....ESPECIALLY Kablan..Reminded of the style of Kenny Gamble. He could be the real deal in another year. Listed at 5'11" 185lbs, but has a frame that can certainly put on another 15-20 lbs. Good speed and moves. So we will have some depth. Soph. Fitz also showed some very nice flashes with hard running.
QBs are solidified. Clark is definitely the starter, but Lum has an excellent arm, though a little erratic at times. Frosh Colvin showed EXCELLENT speed on some roll outs where he took off.

Defense was so diluted due to injury that there is no other news other than to say that they were highly spirited. LB Groome (So. 235 lbs) had a beautiful pick and return. BJ Benning and did a nice job coming up the middle. Flizak, aka the Stork, put on some decent pressure, but also got out of position a bit..needs to be 'under control', but with his size a real potential.

With the end of two-days hopefully a lot of healing will occur between now and Sept. 5. Most are pulls, a couple concussions, and twists.

Lehigh has a Kenny Gamble like back. I sure hope not.:D

Fordham
August 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
what's the word on your new OT from Cinci?

ngineer
August 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM
what's the word on your new OT from Cinci?

Not sure. May learn something at tomorrow's football alumni gathering.

ngineer
August 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Good news, thanks a lot. I did hear from a friend on campus earlier this week that D did have an assortment of nicks. Lets get'em healthy for CCSU. Certainly by Nova, where we'll need every body.

Hope Flizack can play like the Stork and raise some havoc with his size.

Colvin was also an A-S db in High school beisides being A-S gr/3 at qb. The 3 give us remarkable depth at qb as we now seem to have at rb, unlike last year. Coen did describe Kablan as a speed runner. Cannot wait for season to start.

Actually we have 4 QBs with Cisneros at #3. Trace has a nice arm and touch. Just a shame he's caught in a numbers crunch.

RichH2
August 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM
True Trace was a ** post grad coming in and is actually quite good from what I saw last years final scrimmage but you're right a numbers game and Colvin was coming here no matter that he had FBS offers and Harvard. Dad went to LU. I wonder how Andy is going to get him on the field next year? Of course it is always good to have some left handed relief available for the 4th quarterxrotatehx

ngineer
August 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
True Trace was a ** post grad coming in and is actually quite good from what I saw last years final scrimmage but you're right a numbers game and Colvin was coming here no matter that he had FBS offers and Harvard. Dad went to LU. I wonder how Andy is going to get him on the field next year? Of course it is always good to have some left handed relief available for the 4th quarterxrotatehx

Thanks for the correction. Why I called him "Tony" I dunno. From what I saw of Colvin, he really has super moves and speed. Unless we'd revert to the 'spread' offense with a running QB, I don't see him fitting the 'Air Lehigh' mold that Coen seems to be returning to. But he certainly is a talent that should be on the field in the future.

RichH2
August 23rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
ngineer,
50s over on our board noted that Mihal went at fb for some of the scrimmage?
Any word on McCroskey? 'nuf being a pest. Thanks

ngineer
August 23rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
ngineer,
50s over on our board noted that Mihal went at fb for some of the scrimmage?
Any word on McCroskey? 'nuf being a pest. Thanks

From what I heard, McCroskey flunked his physical relating to a prior knee injury and surgery, so he has withdrawn. A shame, but nothing to be done. Can't recall Mihal, though I thought Fossati did a decent job.

Go...gate
August 23rd, 2009, 09:13 PM

Look out, Patriot League. If Lehigh has a kid like Gamble they are going to be awfully good.

ngineer
August 23rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
ON the Lehigh website, you can view a short video of Saturday's scrimmage that included a nifty TD catch by Soph. Drwal (from Nebraska), and the strong leg of the Frosh kicker Perry. See http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=8008#8-22-2009

Lehigh Football Nation
August 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Added my thoughts on the reports of Saturday's scrimmage:

http://tinyurl.com/mtwwlb

I'm a bit concerned about all these injuries. Will be we ready for CCSU? xconfusedx

ngineer
August 24th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Added my thoughts on the reports of Saturday's scrimmage:

http://tinyurl.com/mtwwlb

I'm a bit concerned about all these injuries. Will be we ready for CCSU? xconfusedx

Most of the injuries are of the type that should be healed up by 9/5, with the exception of Pierce. I am concerned that his type of injury, which we saw with McGowan last year, can be chronic, and for a LB lethal. Pierce's forte is mobility. Without it, he's of no use and becomes a liability. If too bad an injury, I would consider a medical redshirt for next year and he can work on his master's degree.

RichH2
August 25th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Nice video, a shame about McCroskey. Well at least he will get a great education. Wish him the best of luck