PDA

View Full Version : Camp Injuries

SU DOG
August 22nd, 2009, 02:46 PM
I realize that pulls and some minor stuff are to be expected this time of year, but real injuries are taking their toll. Samford has been lucky the past couple of seasons, with very few injuries before the opening game, or even during the schedule. That has surely changed this year. Our O Line in particular has recently been decimated by injuries. Same coaches - same drills, just not the same luck. We are now down to looking at starting(at least some) true Fr. on the OL. Some of the hurt kids will hopefully be back by the start of conference play, but I don't see several getting back before then. Just wonder if others are experiencing anything like this. For the Bulldogs, it is getting rather freakish.

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
It happens. No team is really immune. Take Furman's RJ Webb for example. Webb is one of the great talents Furman has ever had at receiver, but has torn his ACL on different knees in consecutive seasons. When he went out early last year, so too did Furman's deep passing game resulting in a very limited short range offense that hamstringed us all season.

Injuries at the FCS level can be particuarly damaging because our squads simply don't carry enough players. Some positions only have one back up. You start cutting too far into your team, you start running into true freshman straight off the high school field.

appfan2008
August 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
AE's injury (though not technically at camp) is certainly the biggest for an asu team that has NC title aspirations

FUwolfpacker
August 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry to hear that SU. It happens to a team every now and then. NC State lost something like 7-9 starters to injury before the season began last year (a good number of those were lost for the year). Sometimes you just have no luck at all.

FU's only real area of injury concern is on the d-line, a place where we're already thin. Only one may not be ready for the first game though, so it's not a huge deal.

RichH2
August 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
A few years back , we seem to lose kids almost on a daily basis from camp thru the year. The last 2 years we've lost a couple each camp. This year only 1 starter with a hamstring out for an appreciable amount of time. Tough luck for your squad. Hope at least you get some back for conference play

ngineer
August 23rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
I counted approx. 20 players on the sideline today without pads. One in a cast which may have been our backup TE Radke. 3 LBs (Taylor, Brickner and Pierce) were out. Taylor and Brickner should be back by CCSU, but I expect Pierce to be out until at least Villanova.