PDA

View Full Version : How much money did Bailiff cost himself...

golionsgo
December 9th, 2005, 10:45 PM
tonight? Talk about swallow the olive in a big game!!! Goes for two in the third quarter when it's a ping pong match scoring wise, and shows zero confidence in his offense with 1:27 to play with three timeouts. At least Bobcat fans won't have to worry about a I-A school stealing him away after that meltdown.

ravens
December 9th, 2005, 10:53 PM
tonight? Talk about swallow the olive in a big game!!! Goes for two in the third quarter when it's a ping pong match scoring wise, and shows zero confidence in his offense with 1:27 to play with three timeouts. At least Bobcat fans won't have to worry about a I-A school stealing him away after that meltdown.

I think our local middle school has an opening.....

Dallas Demon
December 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM

The one that slipped away will be talked about for generations in San Marcos. I couldn't believe it either. :bang:

igo4uni
December 9th, 2005, 11:16 PM

East Coast bias!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

MarkCCU
December 9th, 2005, 11:20 PM
****...he could've been a runner up for GSU's head coach. joking i am

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Maybe he can find a way to tactfully switch the focus to that official who called roughing the kicker on Texas State to keep UNI's field goal drive before halftime alive.

Seriously, though, you have to overcome such things. Bad calls happen. And if I'm a Texas State fan I'm really disappointed in some of the decisions their guy made. The whole time UNI was driving I'm thinking, "If I'm Texas State I don't want to go into overtime."

UNI was just doing too well on offense for that. No way I'd not want to take the chance to make sure their offense never got back on the field. It absolutely shocked me when he did that.

igo4uni
December 9th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Maybe he can find a way to tactfully switch the focus to that official who called roughing the kicker on Texas State to keep UNI's field goal drive before halftime alive.

Seriously, though, you have to overcome such things. Bad calls happen. And if I'm a Texas State fan I'm really disappointed in some of the decisions their guy made. The whole time UNI was driving I'm thinking, "If I'm Texas State I don't want to go into overtime."

UNI was just doing too well on offense for that. No way I'd not want to take the chance to make sure their offense never got back on the field. It absolutely shocked me when he did that.

The roughing the kicker was questionable, at best. However, if you touch the punter, you are asking for a penalty. Can't blame the refs for calling it.

golionsgo
December 9th, 2005, 11:31 PM
****...he could've been a runner up for GSU's head coach. joking i am

Bailiff's a great football coach and has done a great job turning that program around in a short period of time, but pulling the plug on your team like that is almost unforgiveable, especially when you may not have another offense like that for years. What's sad is, the outcome may have been exactly the same, even if he had of gone for a score on that last possession; but their fans and players would have a far less bitter taste in their mouths had they lost by turning the ball over in regulation than losing the way they did.

MarkCCU
December 9th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Bailiff's a great football coach and has done a great job turning that program around in a short period of time, but pulling the plug on your team like that is almost unforgiveable, especially when you may not have another offense like that for years. What's sad is, the outcome may have been exactly the same, even if he had of gone for a score on that last possession; but their fans and players would have a far less bitter taste in their mouths had they lost by turning the ball over in regulation than losing the way they did.
total agreement with ya there buddy

JohnStOnge
December 9th, 2005, 11:36 PM
The roughing the kicker was questionable, at best. However, if you touch the punter, you are asking for a penalty. Can't blame the refs for calling it.

Sure you can. That was not roughing the kicker. It was not running into the kicker. There was no penalty on that play. The Ref blew the call.

I'm not saying he's the devil or anything. That sort of thing happens from time to time. But you know what happened. The punter acted like he got hit when he really didn't and the ref bought it.

golionsgo
December 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Sure you can. That was not roughing the kicker. It was not running into the kicker. There was no penalty on that play. The Ref blew the call.

I'm not saying he's the devil or anything. That sort of thing happens from time to time. But you know what happened. The punter acted like he got hit when he really didn't and the ref bought it.

I agree, he did blow the call, but given the angle in which he had to view the play, I can see why he threw the flag. But the fact that he hesitated and thought about it, I don't understand why he chose to call it a personal foul rather than running into the punter. There was also no change of direction by the punter, he simply kicked the ball and fell down. Usually when there is an obvious roughing, the punter will spin or change direction in mid air and that didn't happen as best I could tell.

igo4uni
December 9th, 2005, 11:51 PM

The Texas State player touched the punter. Granted, he did hit him at all, but, by making contact with him, he is asking for a penalty. It's common sense.

golionsgo
December 9th, 2005, 11:56 PM
The Texas State player touched the punter. Granted, he did hit him at all, but, by making contact with him, he is asking for a penalty. It's common sense.

I agree that technically it's a penalty, but more times than not, it's no harm, no foul. He at best, tweaked the jersey of the punter and didn't cause a change of direction, or alter the kick in any way. It's like getting pulled over for driving 75 in a 70 mph zone. But the ref didn't throw the flag because he touched him, he threw it because he bought into the theatrics of the punter, plain and simple.

MarkCCU
December 9th, 2005, 11:58 PM

you and i are usually in agreement...this is one of them times

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2005, 12:11 AM

I'm not even sure he made contact with him. Even if he hadn't hit him at all but passed close to him the ref threw the flag because of the punter's acting. Bottom line is he did not commit a penalty. It was a bad call that was very important in the game. That kind of thing happens all the time and the overwhelming majority of the time the proper call is made. In fact I'm trying to think and I don't know if I've ever seen an erroneous roughing the kicker call that was that bad before. Especially when you consider that he called roughing instead of just running into the kicker.

I know officials are human. I know their job is tough. I know he didn't do it on purpose. But, good grief fellas, that was a really bad call. He didn't see the guy commit a personal foul roughing the kicker penalty because it didn't happen. And I think everybody with a lick of sense realizes he was influenced by the kicker's acting job.

JohnStOnge
December 10th, 2005, 12:22 AM
I agree that technically it's a penalty, but more times than not, it's no harm, no foul. He at best, tweaked the jersey of the punter and didn't cause a change of direction, or alter the kick in any way. It's like getting pulled over for driving 75 in a 70 mph zone. But the ref didn't throw the flag because he touched him, he threw it because he bought into the theatrics of the punter, plain and simple.

It isn't technically a penalty. It's not like getting a ticket for going 75 in a 70 mph zone. It's like getting a ticket for going 69 in a 70 mph zone.

Here is what the NCAA Football Rule Book has to say about it (under "Roughing or Running into Kicker or Holder, Article 3):

"1. Roughing is a personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.
2. Running into the kicker or holder is a foul that occurs when the kicker
or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is
not roughed (A.R. 9-1-3-II).
3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul."

There was no penalty on the play. There was no roughing the kicker. There as no running into the kicker. It was not the Texas State player's fault. I guess you could say that he could've avoided it by not attempting a block at all but the "fault" lies with the official. The player did not break the rules. The official made a bad call. I guarantee you that if and when he watches the tape he'll be the first to admit that. And, unfortunately, it was a very obvious bad call that played a key role in UNI getting three points in a very close football game.

But I agree that the flag was thrown because the official bought the kicker's act.

golionsgo
December 10th, 2005, 02:16 AM
It isn't technically a penalty. It's not like getting a ticket for going 75 in a 70 mph zone. It's like getting a ticket for going 69 in a 70 mph zone.

Here is what the NCAA Football Rule Book has to say about it (under "Roughing or Running into Kicker or Holder, Article 3):

"1. Roughing is a personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.
2. Running into the kicker or holder is a foul that occurs when the kicker
or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is
not roughed (A.R. 9-1-3-II).
3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul."

There was no penalty on the play. There was no roughing the kicker. There as no running into the kicker. It was not the Texas State player's fault. I guess you could say that he could've avoided it by not attempting a block at all but the "fault" lies with the official. The player did not break the rules. The official made a bad call. I guarantee you that if and when he watches the tape he'll be the first to admit that. And, unfortunately, it was a very obvious bad call that played a key role in UNI getting three points in a very close football game.

But I agree that the flag was thrown because the official bought the kicker's act.

I agree with you for the most part, but one can argue the interpretation of "incidental" contact. The rusher made "contact" by his own actions and the punter did "fall" down. I personally agree with you that it was incidental and the contact itself didn't cause the punter to be displaced, but I think it's reasonable for the official given his vantage point to determine that contact was not incidental. Obviously he was duped by the punter into thinking the contact was more severe than it was, and even hesitated several seconds before throwing the flag, but I do think there was enough there for the most flag-happy of officials to find a running into the kicker call. Just my opinion.

blueballs
December 10th, 2005, 08:34 AM
The call of roughing was terrible. No doubt about it...

TSU also had 30+ minutes of football remaining to make up for it. They had several chances to make the necessary plays to win and didn't.

As of this morning Bailiff has to be really kicking himself. He has a tie game, the ball, a minute and a half, 3 TO's, a possible future NFL QB, 27 SR's, playing at home AND HE TAKES A KNEE??????????? How can his players possibly respect him this morning???

Talk about playing not to lose... all the respect he earned with the thrilling comeback over GSU and the hard fought win over Poly are his-to-ree!!! Talk about no balls...

Bailiff just pissed away his and his program's big chance, and on a national stage to boot. As of this moment he is now minus a lot of his reputation, Barrick Nealy and 27 SR's.

Welcome back to the middle of the pack in the Southland...

FWIW, UNI looks like a team of destiny...

Uncle Buck
December 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM
FWIW, UNI looks like a team of destiny...

I was thinking the same thing. This year they seem a little lucky and a little good, two key ingrediaents that usually get teams the big prize. As for Tex St, man oh man, nealing on it with all the TO's and an NFL prospect at QB, I just can't agree with it. I certainly don't buy into him not wanting to give UNI's good FG kicker an opportunity if they had to give the ball back to UNI. Too much time too sit on it.

PantherRob82
December 10th, 2005, 11:18 AM
suprised he hasn't been fired yet. hopefully txsu doesn't bring in gsu's AD

Ivytalk
December 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM
While folks are focusing on the terrible coaching job and the bad penalty call, don't forget that Texas State's secondary was AWOL all night.