PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week ONE

89Hen
August 20th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Those of you who have been around a while know the deal... you don't like the choices... TOUGH! If you're playing a I-A... TOO BAD! xmadx :p

What is the best/most interesting/most important I-AA game of the week?

BTW, weak week.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I tried to talk myself out of the homer vote but just couldn't. Not a whole not else to really choose from. Could GSU be in the AGS GotW twice in a row with SDSU in week 2?

danefan
August 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Maybe a homer - but GSU-Albany game has as many post season implications as you can realisticly have in week 1.

Albany has to win their OOC games. McCarty and company get a chance to break through.

GSU needs to keep their 2nd half of the season from last year going to have any chance at the SoCon title and a loss to Albany will not help an at-large resume, especially considering week 2 is another tough game.

SU Jag
August 20th, 2009, 06:37 PM
SC State vs Grambling down in Orlando!xnodx

wideright82
August 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I went SB vs Hofstra..... mainly to slight danefan... but also because I think SB, like Albany, is trying to prove something, and Hofstra is going to see if they deserve any, if little, preseason praise they have received.

danefan
August 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM

A close second for me. SC State has a chance to expose Grambling and subsequently the rest of the SWAC. Grambling has a chance to show the rest of FCS that they belong in the top 25.

The reason that was second to me is because there aren't any postseason implications.xthumbsupx

Should be a good game though. Anybody know if there is TV coverage for that one?

TheBisonator
August 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
The most interesting one to me looks like WIU at SHSU.

danefan
August 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I went SB vs Hofstra..... mainly to slight danefan... but also because I think SB, like Albany, is trying to prove something, and Hofstra is going to see if they deserve any, if little, preseason praise they have received.

xanim_chaix

uofmman1122
August 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
None of them seem that interesting, so I had to go with Albany - GSU.

SU Jag
August 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
A close second for me. SC State has a chance to expose Grambling and subsequently the rest of the SWAC. Grambling has a chance to show the rest of FCS that they belong in the top 25.

The reason that was second to me is because there aren't any postseason implications.xthumbsupx

Should be a good game though. Anybody know if there is TV coverage for that one?

ESPN U

Henny
August 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah watch out for the Albanians. They are not the most talented team you will play this year but they are well coached and bring it. If GSU lets them hang around watch out.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Hands Down.
xthumbsupx

RichH2
August 20th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Tried not to pickhome first but not much up this week. Hofstra s/b good game. Give some indication how they might do this yr.

R.A.
August 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Hard to argue against SC State vs Grambling.

danefan
August 20th, 2009, 08:16 PM
ESPN U

Nice! Thanks. I'll be watching that for sure.xthumbsupx

MSUBear42
August 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
The most interesting one to me looks like WIU at SHSU.

Agree, but could really care less.

Hail-Hail
August 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM
ESPN U

Nah it's actually on ESPN2 and ESPN2 HDxthumbsupx Unless they moved it and I didn't know but I'm pretty sure the MEAC/SWAC was on ESPN2

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 20th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe a homer - but GSU-Albany game has as many post season implications as you can realisticly have in week 1.

Albany has to win their OOC games. McCarty and company get a chance to break through.

GSU needs to keep their 2nd half of the season from last year going to have any chance at the SoCon title and a loss to Albany will not help an at-large resume, especially considering week 2 is another tough game.

No homerism present. I agree. In addition, this would be a signature win for Coach Ford and his merry band of road warriors. Danes play anyone and everyone on the road who will play them over the last few years.

Upset special, too. Danes 31, GSU 30

SU Jag
August 20th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Nah it's actually on ESPN2 and ESPN2 HDxthumbsupx Unless they moved it and I didn't know but I'm pretty sure the MEAC/SWAC was on ESPN2

You are correct my Bulldog friend!xthumbsupx

Hail-Hail
August 20th, 2009, 09:57 PM
You are correct my Bulldog friend!xthumbsupx

Ain't no thang big homie. You coming?

SU Jag
August 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Ain't no thang big homie. You coming?

I will be in Lafeyette along with the Jaguar Nation as we take over their campus! Sunday I'll be in Birmingham for the Labor Day Classic.

Eaglesrus
August 20th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Gotta be us and Albany; just how good is Albany? Are we relly back?

MsippiRattler
August 20th, 2009, 10:22 PM
.......SC State has a chance to expose Grambling and subsequently the rest of the SWAC.......

Un hunh!xnodx

AggieManiac704
August 20th, 2009, 11:04 PM
My eyes will be one this game...represent your conference well SC State

Gringer1
August 20th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Albany versus Georgia Southern means a lot to both teams and their conference. Albany wants to prove that they are a national caliber team and that the NEC is legit. Even if they win the NEC, a poor OOC record could leave Albany out of the playoffs. Georgia Southern wants to turn the corner on its rebuilding effort and needs to get early season momentum going. A return to playoff contention is a huge goal for the Eagles and with the SoCon so evenly matched this year, GSU needs all the wins they can get. Both teams desperately want to win this game in order to make a case for their consideration in national talks. With an admitted amount of homer vote aside, I still believe this is the first week match to watch. It just has too many implications for the rest of the season.

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Top 3 in this order (though I voted SHSU v WIU)...

SC State v Grambling
SHSU vs Western Illinois
Illinois St v Eastern Illlinois

tribe_pride
August 21st, 2009, 08:04 AM
TT - you voted for your #2 pick?

dgreco
August 21st, 2009, 08:05 AM
UA vs GSU

Tighteye
August 21st, 2009, 08:06 AM
No brainer SCSU vs. GSU in Orlando, FL

GOODY26
August 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
xthumbsupx I have to go with Grambling State and South Carolina State

Tribe4SF
August 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
Ditto on Grambling vs. SC State. This game will draw the most fans, and the most interest.

aceinthehole
August 21st, 2009, 08:15 AM
I'm a homer, so I'll say CCSU at Lehigh.

But, as the NEC preseason #1 and back-to-back champs, Albany at Georgia Southern is probably has the most national appeal.

Is Albany a legit playoff team this year? Is GSU ready to return to its place as a national powerhouse?

I like UA's chances, but considering their recent performace and GSU's results vs. the last NEC team they played, I don't expect them to be over looked. I thinks its going to be very hard for the Danes to leave with a win, but if they do it will be a great accomplishment for the team and the NEC.

Let's also not forget Monmouth at Colgate. The Hawks are breaking in a new QB, but have a great RB in Sinisi that can cause 'Gate trouble.

I'm predicting the NEC goes 3-0 in these game :)

Ivytalk
August 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM
Albany-GSU. We'll see how far the NEC has come. If Albany wins, prepare for a year of yapping by danefan and Dane96!xrolleyesx

:p

PW Bison
August 21st, 2009, 08:44 AM
I went with WIU and SHSU. Two common apponents caught my interest.

RabidRabbit
August 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
SCSU vs Grambling at a neutral site. Early predictions are that these should be top teams in each of their conferences. Good momentum into league play for either to win.

Likewise, the Albany @ Ga Southern has implications for both teams play-off hopes. A GSU win just about shuts the door on any NEC team seeing post season this year. An Albany win really puts the screws to Eagles plans to soar high this season, and huge pressure on the Eagles to win the following week in Brookings. IMHO, GSU wins this relatively comfortably.

Dane96
August 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
I have been very polite in my yapping when UA beats good teams. ;)

I, unlike others, am not convinced this UA squad is as good as last year's version. Defense should be good...not sure about the O-Line.

If UA pulls out this win...I can see them beating UMASS and/or Maine. A 9-2 year might get them into the playoffs...10-1...and they would no doubt be in.

But GSU wants to prove they are back...and they are talented and have the addition of the humidity and the gnats. The crowd doesnt worry me because the Danes have been fine at Delaware and Montana.

This...is a game I wish was on TV. Smash-mouth football (plus some trickery) vs. an open air attack (balanced, howeve, with the run). It will either be a GSU win by 14-20 pts...or a nailbiter.

elon77
August 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
How come Elon vs Davidson wasn't up there?xeyebrowx

TexasTerror
August 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
TT - you voted for your #2 pick?

Had to follow suit with all the other homers out there, but yes - I voted my #2. SCST v Grambling is top dog though. xreadx

89Hen
August 21st, 2009, 10:02 AM
Could GSU be in the AGS GotW twice in a row with SDSU in week 2?
I took a sneak peek at week 2 and while GSU/SDSU will be one of the ten choices, there are several more interesting games IMHO.

wideright82
August 21st, 2009, 10:06 AM
xanim_chaix

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Dane96
August 21st, 2009, 10:07 AM
I second DF's emotion-- I cant wait until we get up to 60 rides...so we can play SBU and the "EVIL EMPIRE" again.

It's fun dominating an in-state rivalry. ;)

We kid...I wish SBU the best of luck this year in the Big South.

Uncle Buck
August 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
Nothing really jumped out at me, not even the homer pick for the SBU at Hofstra tilt. SBU trying to prove something, but i think Albany has a better shot at beating GSU so i went with that game.

Albany will play 60 minutes and capitalize on mistakes, we learned that in '08. Like someone said, if GSU lets them hang around, this could be a huge win for Albany who is looking to break into the playoffs.

matboz
August 21st, 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm interested to see how Rhody looks this year ... went with the Rams vs. Rams matchup

SUUTbird
August 21st, 2009, 11:01 PM
I voted Albany vs GSU, and go Danes! Its about time the dominate team of the NEC got some recognition, i hope the eagles are ready to play against some power football and i doubt they are going to stop Mcarty, guys a beast!

jstclmet
August 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
I found 6 of these games very interesting;

Albany & GS
Fordham & URI
DSU & FAMU
MU @ Colgate
SB @ HU
SCSU @ Grambling

I voted for FU @ URI as this game will be sort of a measuring stick for both of these teams for different reasons. I think all of them will be highly entertaining. GS & Grambling may be the only clear favorites. The remaining games could go either way, but I'm gonna project URI, DSU, Colgate (pulling for MU though), & HU victorious.

Tribe4SF
August 22nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
I'm a homer, so I'll say CCSU at Lehigh.

I'm predicting the NEC goes 3-0 in these game :)

How are your Devils looking this year? We get them in week 2.

JDC325
August 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I tried to talk myself out of the homer vote but just couldn't. Not a whole not else to really choose from. Could GSU be in the AGS GotW twice in a row with SDSU in week 2?

Me too it was hard not to vote for SC State vs Grambling

Fortunately or unfortunately GSU is going to find out real quick if we are back yet and what the rest of the season will hold. With a decent FBS on the schedule we can not have many other losses. It is the first game and once again a lot of freshman and sophmores will be heavily relied upon so who knows. My gut feeling is that we will improve this year but still are one year away. The talent is there just not sure if the experience is.

813Jag
August 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
That's my vote, I'm gonna be in the middle of all those G-Men talking plenty of trash. xlolx

LacesOut
August 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
This........South Carolina State at Grambling State. It's the game to me that stands out, in that I would actually watch some of it on TV.

The rest........meh.

Big Dawg
August 22nd, 2009, 08:31 PM
I had to go with SCSU vs. Grambling. Both teams are loaded this season.