PDA

View Full Version : JMU QB contender injured

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Justin Thorpe, in a head to head with Drew Dudzik to be the starting QB, will be getting an MRI on his throwing shoulder today. Hit in practice while wearing the red no contact jersey he was reportedly helped from the field and in to get x rays.

We'll see, this kids a r-freshaman and apparently a real talent with a nice deep ball.The competition to be the QB is supposedly neck and neck with CoachMM saying both will play in the opener against Md and could split time all season. I know a bit about him from being local to the Richmond area and he was a highly touted recruit.

Hopefully it's nothing big, and just some "stiffness" as it has it in the DNR paper. Any kind of tear to the cuff or separation and this could be several weeks, maybe months. :(

CentDukesFan
August 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
i've heard hell be just fine... dont take that to the bank though

tribe_pride
August 20th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Justin Thorpe, in a head to head with Drew Dudzik to be the starting QB, will be getting an MRI on his throwing shoulder today. Hit in practice while wearing the red no contact jersey he was reportedly helped from the field and in to get x rays.

We'll see, this kids a r-freshaman and apparently a real talent with a nice deep ball.The competition to be the QB is supposedly neck and neck with CoachMM saying both will play in the opener against Md and could split time all season. I know a bit about him from being local to the Richmond area and he was a highly touted recruit.

Hopefully it's nothing big, and just some "stiffness" as it has it in the DNR paper. Any kind of tear to the cuff or separation and this could be several weeks, maybe months. :(

Don't hit the guy in the red jersey.

CentDukesFan
August 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
wasnt really "hit" more of a shove

my guess is that thorpe made a throw without expecting any contact and the relaxed muscle tightened which caused some kind of minor injury

AppStsGr8
August 20th, 2009, 10:44 AM
That's tough. I hope the kid's 100% soon.

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I think this could be an issue going forward for JMU - one of Landers most compelling abilities was his avoiding injuries. Matthews doesn't like to change his offense and the QB will always be a key ball handler and a big running threat, and there were already concerns whether Dudzik would be durable enough to take the pounding game after game. Thorpe is an unknown as to how he'll hold up, but this won't be the first time this year that this topic comes up.

Pitz
August 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I think this could be an issue going forward for JMU - one of Landers most compelling abilities was his avoiding injuries.

*30 semi-important minutes excluded

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I think this could be an issue going forward for JMU - one of Landers most compelling abilities was his avoiding injuries. Matthews doesn't like to change his offense and the QB will always be a key ball handler and a big running threat, and there were already concerns whether Dudzik would be durable enough to take the pounding game after game. Thorpe is an unknown as to how he'll hold up, but this won't be the first time this year that this topic comes up.

Link:http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=40123&CHID=3

And what do you base the above on? The years long history we had in the spread with Landers?
A. that was two years and B. would you change something? Prior to that it was Rascati and we certainly didn't run any spread type O with him. He could move, but it was more a "traditional" O until MM ripped the whole thing up, went to WV for some practices and meetings and he and Durden put the new O in for Godney.

I guess we could try with the tight end or punter in there as QB, that would be a change to the offense alright, but some would find that downright offensive. :D

Mathews does a great job adapting the scheme to the personnel and whether it's Drew or Thorpe my bet is we'll be less of the spread, with Landers keeping half the time, we've seen the past couple years and much more spreading the ball to other players.

and yea, my bet would be he's just fine in time, I just hope it's little time...

Duke Dawg
August 20th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Dunk,

I started to post the same thing...but then I remembered Gannon knows more about JMU football then we do, so I refrained from posting. xsmiley_wix

jmufan999
August 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
not tooooo concerned. concerned, but not overly concerned.

he looked really, really raw in the spring game. actually looked confused at times. whereas Drew came out looking like a vet, a total pro. experience [in the system] means something. i know many people disagree with that but these are the same people that whose middle names are "Homer". he'll be a good QB but he's far from ready. Dudzik is our guy. now if DREW gets hurt... i'll go ahead and say we're screwed. probably not a popular opinion but i could care less.

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Well, good to hear me and my craptastic typing skillz actually beat someone to a post...

And if that's the case maybe his energies would be better spent gettin some learnin' on about the Chickens woes. xnodx

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Link:http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=40123&CHID=3

And what do you base the above on? The years long history we had in the spread with Landers?
A. that was two years and B. would you change something? Prior to that it was Rascati and we certainly didn't run any spread type O with him. He could move, but it was more a "traditional" O until MM ripped the whole thing up, went to WV for some practices and meetings and he and Durden put the new O in for Godney.

I guess we could try with the tight end or punter in there as QB, that would be a change to the offense alright, but some would find that downright offensive. :D

Mathews does a great job adapting the scheme to the personnel and whether it's Drew or Thorpe my bet is we'll be less of the spread, with Landers keeping half the time, we've seen the past couple years and much more spreading the ball to other players.

and yea, my bet would be he's just fine in time, I just hope it's little time...

Dunk,

I started to post the same thing...but then I remembered Gannon knows more about JMU football then we do, so I refrained from posting. xsmiley_wix

Well, good to hear me and my craptastic typing skillz actually beat someone to a post...

And if that's the case maybe his energies would be better spent gettin some learnin' on about the Chickens woes. xnodx

Yup, geeze, you guys got me, Matthews is a certifiable genuis and his ability to craft entirely different offenses for the talents of different players is his strongest suit!!! xrolleyesx

You guys can't take any discussion of anything JMU-related without taking some imaginary offense to something said. Someone says Landers wasn't a good passer (while also saying he was a great college QB) then there's JMU posters arguing that he was one of the most accurate passers in the country. Someone says that Matthews doesn't really change his offense very much (at least not in the last 6-7 years) and guys invariably come out and defend the guy as being a magician.

We get it, most of you guys think JMU resides in the land of Make Believe where everything is super and there are no problems and it's always sunny and there can't be anything to worry about. That's cool. But it does tend to blind you to reality.

As for my Hens, I know exactly what ailed them last year - no QB at all. Thankfully, we've hit the jackpot with Pat Devlin, so I'm not terribly concerned about last year. But thanks for thinking of us! xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
August 20th, 2009, 12:59 PM
A little OT- notice on this thread we have 4 JMU posters who've been members 1-3 yrs but have less than 100 posts. Not surprising since this is the 6th day the CAAZone has been down. I'm sure we'll see more wander over if the Zone isn't back up soon. As was brought up on the other thread about the Zone being down and JMU being only one of 4 CAA schools without their own message board, maybe this will spur some Dukes fans to start one.

Duke Dawg
August 20th, 2009, 01:03 PM
And you can't not take offense to someone calling you out when you are wrong (again!) about Matthews and JMU.

You make a comment that appears factual:

"Matthews doesn't like to change his offense"

and are corrected by actual JMU fans who know way more than you ever will about our program.

You even follow it up by saying Matthews hasn't changed his offense: "at least not in the last 6-7 years"...after you have already been informed by Dunk that Matthews completely changed his offense TWO years ago to suit Landers' skill set.

How much more change can you have going from a multiple pro-set 2 back system to a 3-wide, 1 back spread offense?

This is a recurring thing for you....to try and act like you know more about JMU than we do. The sooner you get past that, the less YOU'LL be offended when you are proven wrong. xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
August 20th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Yup, geeze, you guys got me, Matthews is a certifiable genuis and his ability to craft entirely different offenses for the talents of different players is his strongest suit!!! xrolleyesx...

C'mon GF, you know that the only team to beat a JMU is JMU. xnodx

Longhorn
August 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Dunk,

xnodx xbowx

bluehenbillk
August 20th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Any word on how many Benjamins the hit or shove set Dudzik back? xlolx

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Yea, I've briefly met the Dudziks it probably wasn't an inexpensive cheap shot. xlolx

And Gannon, relax. no one claimed MM a magician or everything is beeootiful through the purple colored glasses. Hell, I started the thread because one of our contenders to start gets taken out of practice and off for an MRI.

My response was to your statement that there is a "concern", by whom I'm not sure, about the durability of our new QB since MM and staff don't like to change the offensive scheme much. Is that a fair para of what you said? Then why would you make the further assertion that we haven't changed anything in 6-7 YEARS when the entire system was torn out and replaced just two years ago?

Maybe you've forgotten about Rascati under center throwing the screen ball to a fleet footed LC Baker or Mo Fenner and Alvin Banks pounding the ball up the middle of the field. Not to be confused with Godney carrying 3 or 4 defenders across a first down marker or into the endzone. Or using the Tebowesque jab step-jump pass for a TD, something Rascati never would have attempted.

Completely diiferent worlds just since '07. Hardly the better part of a decade...

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
xnodx xbowx

Come on, you're still upset that you said after 2006 that UD had no prayer of beating JMU until maybe 2009 at the earliest, only to be proven wrong the very next year. I believe in that case, I actually did know more about JMU than a JMU fan! xlolx

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Yea, I've briefly met the Dudziks it probably wasn't an inexpensive cheap shot. xlolx

And Gannon, relax. no one claimed MM a magician or everything is beeootiful through the purple colored glasses. Hell, I started the thread because one of our contenders to start gets taken out of practice and off for an MRI.

My response was to your statement that there is a "concern", by whom I'm not sure, about the durability of our new QB since MM and staff don't like to change the offensive scheme much. Is that a fair para of what you said? Then why would you make the further assertion that we haven't changed anything in 6-7 YEARS when the entire system was torn out and replaced just two years ago?

Maybe you've forgotten about Rascati under center throwing the screen ball to a fleet footed LC Baker or Mo Fenner and Alvin Banks pounding the ball up the middle of the field. Not to be confused with Godney carrying 3 or 4 defenders across a first down marker or into the endzone. Or using the Tebowesque jab step-jump pass for a TD, something Rascati never would have attempted.

Completely diiferent worlds just since '07. Hardly the better part of a decade...

Different play calling, but basically still the same offense. He's going to run the ball, and he's going to have to have the QB be a critical cog in that through belly options, straight options, or pitches, and he'll throw as a last resort. Delaware ran the same offense under Hall that they ran under Flacco, but according to you guys even Keeler can be classified as a genius because the playcalling reverted to more dropback passes under Flacco. It's certainly news to us that Keeler can be classified as that flexible in terms of his offense.

Like I said, you guys get a little too touchy when it comes to anything that doesn't crown JMU in glory.

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
C'mon GF, you know that the only team to beat a JMU is JMU. xnodx

xlolx

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Different play calling, but basically still the same offense. He's going to run the ball, and he's going to have to have the QB be a critical cog in that through belly options, straight options, or pitches, and he'll throw as a last resort. Delaware ran the same offense under Hall that they ran under Flacco, but according to you guys even Keeler can be classified as a genius because the playcalling reverted to more dropback passes under Flacco. It's certainly news to us that Keeler can be classified as that flexible in terms of his offense.

Like I said, you guys get a little too touchy when it comes to anything that doesn't crown JMU in glory.

Well I'll admit that I'm mightily confused. Was anyone looking to be crowned in glory? I missed that. Much as you apparently missed the wholosale redo our offensive scheme underwent as we transitioned from Rascati to Landers.

And of course it may be "basically" the same offense. Just as a 4-4 is basically the same as a 5-3 defense. Find ball make tackle. Only really different. xrolleyesx
A pro set, under the center, huddle based O is now basically the same as a spread option no huddle play call from sideline shotgun? uhh okay.

and nice catch with the part that the QB might be a critical cog in the offense no matter the formation. I DID miss that. preeesh.

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Well I'll admit that I'm mightily confused. Was anyone looking to be crowned in glory? I missed that. Much as you apparently missed the wholosale redo our offensive scheme underwent as we transitioned from Rascati to Landers.

And of course it may be "basically" the same offense. Just as a 4-4 is basically the same as a 5-3 defense. Find ball make tackle. Only really different. xrolleyesx
A pro set, under the center, huddle based O is now basically the same as a spread option no huddle play call from sideline shotgun? uhh okay.

and nice catch with the part that the QB might be a critical cog in the offense no matter the formation. I DID miss that. preeesh.

And I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything to that extent, but way to exaggerate to make a point. Let's just leave it at that then - my apologies for attempting to add a little outside observation on the JMU program. We all know that is frowned upon.

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by GannonFan
Different play calling, but basically still the same offensexconfusedx

anyway, I wasn't frowning whatsoever, just correcting what I thought to be in error. You decided to make it some kind of defensiveness or an attack.

To the topic. It does raise an interesting point as I'm quite sure neither Dudzik nor Thorpe would be leaned on in the same way Godney was. Simply because first they wouldn't be as successful with all the running IMO, nor could they probably take it.
So I will be watching closely to see where those changes or adjustments are made. I think they will have to be made. NOT the wholesale overhaul we had two years ago;) but maybe a hybrid of the two sets. Some standard 3 and 5 step drops for underneath stuff or the screens, some shotgun/ read react stuff. Who knows.

Oh, and am I'm completely losing it or is that thread with the CAA review completely gone?!?

Duke Dawg
August 20th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Oh, and am I'm completely losing it or is that thread with the CAA review completely gone?!?

I don't see that thread or the thread about the Zone being down.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if they were deleted....that's what I don't like about this place....threads get deleted all the time here. xrolleyesx

HensRock
August 20th, 2009, 04:27 PM
The competition to be the QB is supposedly neck and neck with CoachMM saying both will play in the opener against Md and could split time all season.

Delaware fans, does this sound eerily familiar?
Quarterback battle neck-and-neck...
No clear favorite for the opener at Maryland...

I just got a chill up my spine when I read that. Scary.

BTW, the CAA Preview thread was moved to the News Feeds forum.

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 04:28 PM
mean for some transgression? What the heck? Theres an appy state ezu thread that's like 10 months old on the first page and one on a discussion of the CAA (the foremost Conference in all of FCS) is deleted?
Maybe it's caused it had numbnuts quoted in there and his cute little comment. xconfusedx

Duke Dawg
August 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM
the Zone's not so bad is it Dunk? :D;)

DunkandDukin
August 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM
don' think i've ever hated on the zone. I owe the zone a lot! and yea I saw the winky. :)

I do like the vast population over here too, but frequently I don't find a heck of a lot that interests me. I try not to be too myopic, but the talk between say UNI and Texas state just doesn't stir my coffee.

so 2 of the 3 threads I had an interest in are zapped. great, hey whats going on in the gateway conference today?!? xrolleyesx

blukeys
August 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
For the record, it is my view that MM gets red in the face, engages in temper tantrums and throws his hat better than any other coach in FCS. xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
August 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I don't see that thread or the thread about the Zone being down.

Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if they were deleted....that's what I don't like about this place....threads get deleted all the time here. xrolleyesx

Yeah, I can't find it either. Why in the world someone would someone have deleted it? xconfusedx

Longhorn
August 20th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Come on, you're still upset that you said after 2006 that UD had no prayer of beating JMU until maybe 2009 at the earliest, only to be proven wrong the very next year. I believe in that case, I actually did know more about JMU than a JMU fan! xlolx

My point has always been UD is in decline. And I think the bluechicks recent record and desperate reliance on transfer QBs is proof certain about who's been right. And it ain't been you my blind friend. ;)

JmuSkinsfan
August 20th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Yup, geeze, you guys got me, Matthews is a certifiable genuis and his ability to craft entirely different offenses for the talents of different players is his strongest suit!!! xrolleyesx

You guys can't take any discussion of anything JMU-related without taking some imaginary offense to something said. Someone says Landers wasn't a good passer (while also saying he was a great college QB) then there's JMU posters arguing that he was one of the most accurate passers in the country. Someone says that Matthews doesn't really change his offense very much (at least not in the last 6-7 years) and guys invariably come out and defend the guy as being a magician.

We get it, most of you guys think JMU resides in the land of Make Believe where everything is super and there are no problems and it's always sunny and there can't be anything to worry about. That's cool. But it does tend to blind you to reality.

As for my Hens, I know exactly what ailed them last year - no QB at all. Thankfully, we've hit the jackpot with Pat Devlin, so I'm not terribly concerned about last year. But thanks for thinking of us! xthumbsupx

Have you never been to the valley?

Henny
August 20th, 2009, 07:02 PM
My point has always been UD is in decline. And I think the bluechicks recent record and desperate reliance on transfer QBs is proof certain about who's been right. And it ain't been you my blind friend. ;)

This has to be the most redicoulous post ever on AGS. Not to talk smack but don't let last year's UD disaster cloud your JMU daydream. I can't wait for "the Dukes" to come to Delaware Stadium this year.

busybee14
August 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM
xconfusedx

anyway, I wasn't frowning whatsoever, just correcting what I thought to be in error. You decided to make it some kind of defensiveness or an attack.

To the topic. It does raise an interesting point as I'm quite sure neither Dudzik nor Thorpe would be leaned on in the same way Godney was. Simply because first they wouldn't be as successful with all the running IMO, nor could they probably take it.
So I will be watching closely to see where those changes or adjustments are made. I think they will have to be made. NOT the wholesale overhaul we had two years ago;) but maybe a hybrid of the two sets. Some standard 3 and 5 step drops for underneath stuff or the screens, some shotgun/ read react stuff. Who knows.

DUNK,to your point about JMU & running at the QB position.Coach D is making it a point to recruit QBs for 2010 that Excell in both running and passing.But I know Mobility and toughness are key.

tribe_pride
August 20th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Guys the zone thread for some reason got moved to the AGS Lounge

GannonFan
August 20th, 2009, 08:14 PM
And the CAA preview thread got moved to the FCS News Feed forum.

Mods - why the move???? Certainly no reason to move that one.

DTSpider
August 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Interestingly enough the Richmond Times Disgrace ran this article in today's paper about QBs and contact in camp.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/VAFB20_20090819-214605/287145/

GoDukes86
August 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM
For the record, it is my view that MM gets red in the face, engages in temper tantrums and throws his hat better than any other coach in FCS. xrolleyesx

That's funny. For the record, it's my view that your coach...honestly, I don't even know the name of Delaware's coach. xconfusedx

BDKJMU
August 21st, 2009, 03:09 AM
QB Still Iffy
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=40159&CHID=3&sub=

19Duke97
August 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
This type of thing happens all of the time - most likely a lineman was blocked into the QB - probably a total accident. To henfan's comment - all teams, not just JMU are concerned about injuries at every position, not sure how JMU is unique in this category.
The plus here is we had two QB's vying for the starting job, so if the frosh is out for a couple weeks, so be it, probably just means he's is now pushed to the 2 slot, not the end of the world. It's not like we are grooming a TE to start at QB in the meantime... xrotatehx

UncleSam
August 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM
My point has always been UD is in decline. And I think the bluechicks recent record and desperate reliance on transfer QBs is proof certain about who's been right.

Think again, no doubt that UD had a very bad season in '08 (no QB) but to say that a program that had just played in the National Cahmpionship game in '07 is in 'decline' is a bit of a reach. Particularly when you consider that the program supposedly in 'decline' has won more playoff games then has JMU since the Dukes title run in '04.

BDKJMU
August 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM
This has to be the most redicoulous post ever on AGS. Not to talk smack but don't let last year's UD disaster cloud your JMU daydream. I can't wait for "the Dukes" to come to Delaware Stadium this year.

You better hope that Devlin doesn't get injured, because if he does, UD is screwed, as the best QB you had last year was Schoencrap, so unless you have a good true freshman, your backup QB must suck.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM
No lawn mowers were harmed in the injury of this Quarterback.

seriously, hope hes ok. I bet that coach had a big talkin' to with the guy that hit the QB in the bright red shirt.

BDKJMU
August 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
He's back, although notice how the headline is screwed up. It says:
"Thorpe Out; Acker Back"
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=40200&CHID=3&sub=

It should read, "Acker Out, Thorpe Back". xrotatehx