PDA

View Full Version : Joe Casey

Dawg2Rhody
August 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Prayers go out to Joe Casey! Another tough injury after working so hard to get backxbawlingx

Umass74
August 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
What happened?

SUUTbird
August 15th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Did he get hurt again? Man tough break for a great player.

Head Cat
August 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Is there a news link or some other information? You are leaving everyone hanging with this thread.

Dawg2Rhody
August 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Broke his right leg in the scrimmage yesterday. Scheduled for surgery today.

Cobblestone
August 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Broke his right leg in the scrimmage yesterday. Scheduled for surgery today.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

Such a shame. This kid has worked his @$$ off to get back on the field.

Uncle Buck
August 16th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Get the hell out of here. Is this true? What a shame for this kid. This is sad news since he's one of those kids who is really a throwback kind of player. All the best in his full recovery.

Brad82
August 17th, 2009, 08:09 AM
This is sad.
Rhody just can't catch a break.

Fordham
August 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Terrible news. Guy really seems like a warrior and is clearly an incredible talent.

Rhody guys - did he graduate? Is he now taking courses toward a grad degree? Just wondering if he'll segue into being a grad ass't for you. Either way, just a brutal way for him to end his career after so many injuries (is it correct to assume that this is it for him?).

Head Cat
August 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
It isn't unheard of for the NCAA to grant a sixth year to players who undergo more than one season-ending injury. It doesn't happen often, but Casey would have a great case for one more year, if he chooses to hang around.

Cobblestone
August 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Terrible news. Guy really seems like a warrior and is clearly an incredible talent.

Rhody guys - did he graduate? Is he now taking courses toward a grad degree? Just wondering if he'll segue into being a grad ass't for you. Either way, just a brutal way for him to end his career after so many injuries (is it correct to assume that this is it for him?).

I'd have to say that it probably is it for him. He broke his leg on the first play from scrimmage last season, I'll have to assume this was the same leg and same type of break. For his own sake I think he might want to start thinking about life outside of football, at least as far as playing it is concerned. To keep having the same injury over and over again is not worth it. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him back in uniform but there IS life after football. Best wishes to him in whatever he decides.

Dawg2Rhody
August 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
It was not the same leg. But I would agree with you Cobblestone. This must be just mentally draining for the kid.

Umass74
August 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Why the press blackout on Casey's injury? Nothing on the Rhode Island athletic site. Nothing on ProJo. Is there any press report on this?

danefan
August 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
It isn't unheard of for the NCAA to grant a sixth year to players who undergo more than one season-ending injury. It doesn't happen often, but Casey would have a great case for one more year, if he chooses to hang around.

Very True. Albany has two players this year that are coming back for their sixth years (Dave Nicomin and Tim Bush).

Cobblestone
August 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Why the press blackout on Casey's injury? Nothing on the Rhode Island athletic site. Nothing on ProJo. Is there any press report on this?

I haven't located anything. The PROJO? They don't even know that URI football exists.

Dawg2Rhody
August 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I find the lack of press on this interesting as well. It was media day so they were there when it happened. The injury was actually lower in the ankle area as opposed to the leg.

Bos8
August 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Is he out for the entire season? It will be interesting to see what his course of action is considering there was an article in the Syracuse paper that had an interview with our coach talking about the possibilty of him in the NFL.

Cobblestone
August 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Is he out for the entire season? It will be interesting to see what his course of action is considering there was an article in the Syracuse paper that had an interview with our coach talking about the possibilty of him in the NFL.

Got a link to that article? I think Joe playing in the NFL is a bit of a stretch. I'd be interested to read what Trainer had to say though.

Bos8
August 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I am pretty sure you posted the article. It wasn't an interview, but they had a quote from Trainer. If he had a successful senior year, I think there could have been a possibility of him being invited to a camp as an undrafted FA. Playing in the NFL may be a stretch, but I could have seen him as practice squad guy.

Here is an excerpt from the article...

Nobody who knows him believes insecurity will beat Casey. He has hurdled too much to allow this final obstacle to triumph. Casey, a political science major at URI, has considered a law career. But nobody rules out a continuation of his football career.

"He's athletic, he's got better speed than people realize, he's got great power, he catches the ball well," Trainer said. "I would be disappointed if (the NFL) didn't happen for Joe because I think he's wired for it. He's a bit of a throwback. He could play in any era because he lives the game and plays with so much passion."

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080909aaa.html

Sam Adams
August 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think the NFL would be a real longshot for Joe. He's a tough kid and a gritty ballplayer for sure but his string of injuries and lack of NFL speed/quickness would seem to prevent him from seriously considering playing in the NFL. But I enjoy watching him play and wish him the best.