PDA

View Full Version : GSU to announce new HFC @ 4pm today

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM
December 9, 2005 - For Immediate Release
Eagle Athletics Announces Football Press Conference

STATESBORO, Ga. – Sam Baker, Director of Athletics at Georgia Southern University, has called a press conference for 4 p.m. this afternoon (Friday, December 9) to introduce the new head football coach.

The press conference will be held in the ballroom at the Nessmith Lane Building on the Georgia Southern campus.

Log onto georgiasoutherneagles.com to view the newsconference live (registered members only): http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/premium/streaming/eaglevision2.aspx

SoCon48
December 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
December 9, 2005 - For Immediate Release
Eagle Athletics Announces Football Press Conference

STATESBORO, Ga. – Sam Baker, Director of Athletics at Georgia Southern University, has called a press conference for 4 p.m. this afternoon (Friday, December 9) to introduce the new head football coach.

The press conference will be held in the ballroom at the Nessmith Lane Building on the Georgia Southern campus.

Log onto georgiasoutherneagles.com to view the newsconference live (registered members only): http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/premium/streaming/eaglevision2.aspx

Press conference? Now that's cool. Not sure having the other one to announce the firing of Sewak was so cool.

Timing. Day before the I-AA semi-finals. ?

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Press conference? Now that's cool. Not sure having the other one to announce the firing of Sewak was so cool.

The timing is great. Sure to be a great topic of conversation for the announcers tonight and tomorrow. :)

GSUAlumniEagle
December 9th, 2005, 08:36 AM

I see every other sports organization having a press conference to announce the releasing of a head coach. Why would GSU be any different?

I agree the timing is bad. Friday is "take out the trash" day. And the Jags have a HUGE game on Sunday. As a Jag fan, I want BVG in Jacksonville watching Peyton Manning tapes right now.

AppGuy04
December 9th, 2005, 08:58 AM
The timing is great. Sure to be a great topic of conversation for the announcers tonight and tomorrow. :)

I beg to differ

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM

Er.....why would anyone care right now?? Mention it...move on...then don't mention it again. Sorry, but the playoffs are not always about GSU. Right now, it's the two OTHER schools in the SoCon that deserve the talk, as they've both won at least one game in the playoffs in the past two years.

Fordham
December 9th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I haven't been able to comb through all of the threads yet to see if this has been answered or intimated at:

so ... who's it gonna be?

ButlerGSU
December 9th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Anyone see the advertisement on ESPN saying the I-AA championship game between Texas State and Northern Iowa tonight? They completely forgot about the Furman/ASU game tomorrow and they have it.

I'm sure ESPN 2 will talk up the coaching hire during the game and at halftime just to have something I-AA to talk about.

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I haven't been able to comb through all of the threads yet to see if this has been answered or intimated at:

so ... who's it gonna be?

Brian VanGorder. ex-UGA Defensive Coordinator and current Jacksonville Jags assistant coach.

blueballs
December 9th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Right now, it's the two OTHER schools in the SoCon that deserve the talk, as they've both won at least one game in the playoffs in the past two years.

I wasn't aware that Appalachian State had won a playoff game in 2004.

I could have sworn Furman is the only team remaining in the 2005 playoff that even got a bid in 2004.

...shows what I know.... :eyebrow:

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I wasn't aware that Appalachian State had won a playoff game in 2004.

I could have sworn Furman is the only team remaining in the 2005 playoff that even got a bid in 2004.

...shows what I know.... :eyebrow:

Smartass...
Has GSU won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? NOPE!
Has ASU won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? YEP!
Has Furman won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? YEP!

Show me where I wrote "won a playoff game in EACH of the past 2 years".

Laserlips
December 9th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Smartass...
Has GSU won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? NOPE!
Has ASU won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? YEP!
Has Furman won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? YEP!

Show me where I wrote "won a playoff game in EACH of the past 2 years".

Yeah GSU had a down year... No doubt about it.

Hopefully next year we can do better. Thats what getting a new coach is all about.

If this thread bothers you, quit reading and posting on it...

The only silver lining in this past football season was knocking your butts off the number 1 ranking. But, we won't dwell on that it's upsetting to you. Of course being beaten in "our house" won't hurt nearly as much as the whuppin' App State is going to put on you tomorrow..

Take it to the bank... :rolleyes:

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Hopefully next year we can do better. Thats what getting a new coach is all about.

The only silver lining in this past football season was knocking your butts off the number 1 ranking. But, we won't dwell on that it's upsetting to you. Of course being beaten in "our house" won't hurt nearly as much as the whuppin' App State is going to put on you tomorrow..

Please don't mistake me as an alum of any school in the SoCon conference. The SoCon conference is my second favorite conference. Post on here long enough, you'll find out where my loyalties lie and which conference I support. :coach:

Don't get me wrong though. I like GSU/ASU/Furman...I'm actually interested in who the next coach at GSU will be and what direction their offense will take....and I would love for the GSU powerhouse to stick around to keep the SoCon at/near the top. BUT...IMO, GSU and their head coaching ordeal should NOT be mentioned for more than 30 seconds or so, in either of the two playoff games coming up. GSU is out of the spotlight as they haven't won a playoff game in a while, so let the SoCon schools (and those other two schools :cool: ) still in the playoffs have their time to shine. :twocents:

Enough said.

DinoDex200
December 9th, 2005, 10:46 AM

He's not a Furman fan...neither our the guys in my sig...and neither am I!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Laserlips
December 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Please don't mistake me as an alum of any school in the SoCon conference. The SoCon conference is my second favorite conference. Post on here long enough, you'll find out where my loyalties lie and which conference I support. :coach:

Don't get me wrong though. I like GSU/ASU/Furman...I'm actually interested in who the next coach at GSU will be and what direction their offense will take....and I would love for the GSU powerhouse to stick around to keep the SoCon at/near the top. BUT...IMO, GSU and their head coaching ordeal should NOT be mentioned for more than 30 seconds or so, in either of the two playoff games coming up. GSU is out of the spotlight as they haven't won a playoff game in a while, so let the SoCon schools (and those other two schools :cool: ) still in the playoffs have their time to shine. :twocents:

Enough said.

Sorry I misunderstood your posting..

Honestly tho, to the GSU faithful what goes on at GSU regarding GSU football is of considerable importance, even if it occurs on the weekend of the ASU/Furman playoff game. I don't think we (myself for sure) give much thought that our thread might be somehow taking the "lightning" or attention away from the playoff teams.

Having said that, I will be watching the playoff games, and pulling for a SoCon school to win it all in Chattanooga. Actually I'm hoping it will be ASU. No matter which team it turns out to be, I will always be pulling for a SoCon team (even the Furrballs, ugh, spit....) to win the National Championship.

I have mentioned on various forums that we GSU fans are the most spoiled in 1AA.. We expect to win, all the time. When we don't we are an unpleasant bunch. I don't try to excuse that, it's just a fact.

I personally think the Coaching change is the right thing to do. I even think the "meltdown" in Texas, embarrassing as it was wound up being a plus for GSU football. I think next season we will be a stronger team for having fired/hired a new coaching staff. We needed a change, and the fiasco in Texas was the catalyst we needed...

Again sorry I put my mouth in motion before putting my brain in gear...

Best Wishes, :bow:
JP

henfan
December 9th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Why in the world would GSU hire an ex-UGa defensive coordinator?! ;)

http://www.americanfootballmonthly.com/Subaccess/Magazine/2001/Nov'01/images/wisdom.jpeg

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 11:50 AM
http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Bio/2589.asp

The Brian VanGorder bio, straight from the Jags website.

You're welcome. Unless this info has already been posted. If so, I apologize.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
http://www.jaguars.com/Team/Bio/2589.asp

The Brian VanGorder bio, straight from the Jags website.

You're welcome. Unless this info has already been posted. If so, I apologize.

He kind of has a blank, unintelligent look about him, doesn't he? But I guess looks are deceiving...

EDIT: VanGorer is obviously a good, well qualified football coach. Just a bad picture of him on the Jags site.

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM
He kind of has a blank, unintelligent look about him, doesn't he? But I guess looks are deceiving...

Ha! You are evil!

COACHING BACKGROUND: Grand Valley State 1989-91, Wayne State 1992-94, Central Florida 1995-97, Central Michigan 1998-99, Western Illinois 2000, Georgia 2001-04, Jacksonville Jaguars 2005

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:13 PM

At least he's human, unlike that sun-glasses-at-night-wearing cyborg you have for a coach.

Oops! There we go smacking on the most important topic on this forum. Crap.
:bang:

So, uh . . . care to discuss the relative merits of Keeler and VanGorder?

SunCoastBlueHen
December 9th, 2005, 12:18 PM
At least he's human, unlike that sun-glasses-at-night-wearing cyborg you have for a coach.

I agree, Keeler can look like a jackass. He is a good football coach, however, and an excellent recruiter. Like I said, looks can be deceiving. I'm sure that VanGorder will prove to be an excellent choice for GSU.

FU97
December 9th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Ha! You are evil!

COACHING BACKGROUND: Grand Valley State 1989-91, Wayne State 1992-94, Central Florida 1995-97, Central Michigan 1998-99, Western Illinois 2000, Georgia 2001-04, Jacksonville Jaguars 2005

Given his history, I think we can assume the next entry will be

Georgia Southern 2006-2008.

TypicalTribe
December 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Well, it certainly would appear that the search was targeting someone who could hopefully improve the defense. Will be interesting to see if he brings his own offensive philosophy or if it was made clear to him that the triple-option and some of the offensive assistants who know it will stay.

BTW, the mustache is a little shaky.

TypicalTribe
December 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM

He hasn't even been announced as the coach and you're already defensive?

Eagles fans really do need to lighten up a bit.

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Yep, but the quality of his tenure is what will matter. Erk wasn't really here all that long (6 years competing in I-AA, though I know that's misleading) , and neither was PJ (5 years). Neither Stowers (6 years) or Sewak (4 years) were here for that long. Look at Montana. They change coaches every 3 years.

December 9th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Has ASU won a playoff game in the past 2 years?? YEP!Uh, no. App State hasn't won a playoff game since 2001.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Uh, no. App State hasn't won a playoff game since 2001.

Hmmm....did they get a bye the past two weeks in order to get to the semi-finals?? I thought YSU was pulling that string?? xlolx

Again...I did not say "EACH" of the past two years or "BEFORE" last year...come on people, stop twisting me around here!!!! :spank: :coach:

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Well, it certainly would appear that the search was targeting someone who could hopefully improve the defense. Will be interesting to see if he brings his own offensive philosophy or if it was made clear to him that the triple-option and some of the offensive assistants who know it will stay.

That's the big question. If VanGorder is a short-term rental (and he looks like it), do we let him scrap an institutional philosophy which has been twenty years in the making?

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Hmmm, ya think?? Seven different coaching jobs in 16 years. Some will draw conclusions from that, others may not.

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:33 PM
He hasn't even been announced as the coach and you're already defensive?

Eagles fans really do need to lighten up a bit.

I was "only joking"--I don't care if he looks like Richard Simmons if he wins the ballgames which count.

December 9th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Hmmm....did they get a bye the past two weeks...I guess when you wrote past I thought you weren't talking about the current year.

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hmmm....did they get a bye the past two weeks in order to get to the semi-finals?? I thought YSU was pulling that string?? xlolx

Again...I did not say "EACH" of the past two years or "BEFORE" last year...come on people, stop twisting me around here!!!! :spank: :coach:

Nobody's twisting you around. Your usage is somewhat vague, though I think most of us knew what you meant.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Nobody's twisting you around. Your usage is somewhat vague, though I think most of us knew what you meant.
Sorry if I was vague...but I think we all are on the same page now. xprost2x

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:41 PM

So, who's this babe you keep posting pictures of?

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 12:49 PM
So, who's this babe you keep posting pictures of?

That babe has a third stick between her legs. If ya know what I mean. LOL

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM

That's really sick. Gotta wonder about someone who has a collection of photos of one transvestite. I guess the cleft chin should have given it away.

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 12:55 PM
That's really sick. Gotta wonder about someone who has a collection of photos of one transvestite. I guess the cleft chin should have given it away.

And the throat. It has an adams apple. Look closer.

pete4256
December 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
And the throat. It has an adams apple. Look closer.

The really sad part is that I got myself into this mess by trying to extend a gesture of good will, not because I found the picture to be of intrinsic interest.

Thakns for not crucifying me. :o

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Yeah....MINE.

LacesOut
December 9th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Thakns for not crucifying me. :o

I don't crucify anyone. It's just damn message board. Some people take things a little too seriously around here, IMO.

And I can't help it if that other poster, bandl, is a freak, who digs he-she's.

Anyway, good luck to GSU and their new head coach. A great program that is well respected by me.

bandl
December 9th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I don't crucify anyone. It's just damn message board. Some people take things a little too seriously around here, IMO.

And I can't help it if that other poster, bandl, is a freak, who digs he-she's.

Anyway, good luck to GSU and their new head coach. A great program that is well respected by me.
You old wrinkly hag...your mother was a hamster. :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Pretty much everyone on tscsports now is talking about Jacksonville Jaguars coach Brian VanGordon. I know there is nothing official about it, but I think you have a pretty secure bet on this guy.

This guy is most likely going to use some boring SEC-style defensive type strategy, and will get rid of the option. I know a lot of people are saying that "who cares what strategy we use as long as we win" but I was looking forward to giving more bloody noses to defenses that think they are too good to get beat by a "one-dimensional offense".

Stay tuned for further developments.

Cocky
December 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I think if you had said 3 years instead of 2 years it would have been clearer. GSU has not won a playoff game since 2002. App State hasn't won one in nearly a week.

SoCon48
December 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I think if you had said 3 years instead of 2 years it would have been clearer. GSU has not won a playoff game since 2002. App State hasn't won one in nearly a week.

OUCH! :asswhip:

AppFootballAlum
December 9th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Anyone see the advertisement on ESPN saying the I-AA championship game between Texas State and Northern Iowa tonight? They completely forgot about the Furman/ASU game tomorrow and they have it.

I'm sure ESPN 2 will talk up the coaching hire during the game and at halftime just to have something I-AA to talk about.

Typical :bang:

ASU Kep
December 9th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Or just maybe they are waiting until tonight and afterwards to advertise...I really don't think it's favoritism, just that Texas St/UNI fills their evening time slot today. If App/Furman were playing in two hours, we'd have gotten a lot of coverage, too.

ASU Kep
December 9th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Nevermind.

CatFan22
December 9th, 2005, 04:55 PM
So are they going to make this announcement or what?

CatFan22
December 9th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Nevermind, got it.

Baldy
December 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM

And JSU's last playoff win was........?