PDA

View Full Version : 2009 SEASON PREDICTIONS

SUUTbird
August 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Alright i kinda figure since we are approaching t-minus twenty days until the start of the football season that it would be nice to see what everyone is predicting for their teams to do. This is what how i think my Thunderbirds will do in 09:

vs. Dixie State- Win (A subpar D2 opponent to start the season, but good for the whole Southern Utah area).

@ San Diego State- Loss (I think this game will be closer then many people think, but i still think the D1 depth will be to much for the T-Birds to handle).

@ Northern Arizona- Win (After a last second loss to the Lumberjacks last year in Cedar City i see SUU getting revenge this time in flagstaff).

@ Utah State- Loss (USU will be getting better under their new HC, but i dont think they will be good enough for a few years, but good enough to beat SUU after a brutal two previous weeks on the road).

vs. Texas State- Win (After dominating the Cats in 08 and the past couple of seasons i see us winning once again as the Cats come to Cedar, game will be closer i believe).

@ Cal Poly- Loss (Game of the year for both SUU and Cal Poly as i think this will be the game to decide the GWC championship, i give the nod to Poly as they have home field advantage).

vs. North Dakota- Win (After coming from behind to beat the Sioux in their house in 08 i see SUU having a better game against the Sioux when they come to Cedar, a very different team then the one they faced in 07).

vs. UC-Davis- Win (I am giving this to SUU for two reasons; This is a better team then UC-Davis has faced in the past and the Aggies are on the road for this game and they have a 5-13 road record since 2006).

@ South Dakota- Win (This will be a very very hard game for SUU, but since they were able to go into Grand Forks and win i can see a chance to win in Vermillion, The only thing SUU needs to do this game is stop the running game, and they will have this one in the bag, but Shepard and Co. are still very good on offense and this will be a shootout, im just giving it to my Birds who proved they could win in the Dakotas last year xthumbsupx)

vs EWU- Win (This will be a game i believe EWU will be overlooking as it is in the middle of Big Sky play and they have kinda dominated us the past couple times we have played. However their horrible secondary will get shredded by our pass heavy offense

@ San Diego- Win (SUU's second trip to San Diego will be a much more enjoyable one as the T-Birds beat up USD. Hopefully they will get their heads out of their a**es and join the Great West.

Overall record: 8-3 (3-1 in GWC play). Honestly i think several GWC games will be to close to call (such as South Dakota and Cal Poly) but i am being optomistic here and saying my Thunderbirds will be getting their first winning season in a long while, one that is desperately needed xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
August 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
North Dakota State University

9/3 - @Iowa State Loss, close game but coming up short
9/12 - @Sam Houston St, Loss, early season road game
9/19 - Wagner College, Win, first home game
9/26 - @SIU, Loss, another roadkill game
10/3 - Illinois St, WIN, Homecoming
10/10 - UNI, WIN, New Bison offensive system getting better
10/17 - @SDSU, Loss, rivalry road game
10/24 - Missouri St, WIN, Another home victory
10/31 - @Western Illinois, WIN, finally figure out how to win on the road
11/14 - @ Indiana St, WIN, 2 weeks to prepare for this one
11/21 - Youngstown St, WIN, final home game for the Senoirs

Overall 7-4, MVFC 6-2 xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2009, 04:50 PM
09/05/09 at Iowa Loss. Too much depth on a decent Hawkeye squad

09/12/09 vs. South Dakota Win Should be a pretty good game, but no reason to believe we don't get the win.

09/19/09 vs. Saint Francis Win A St Francis win would be the upset of the decade

09/26/09 at Missouri State Win Mo State has not kept this game close the last few years and has already lost it's top 2 RB's for the season

10/03/09 vs. Indiana State Win The Sycs may put up a little more fight than the past few years, but it won't be enough.

10/10/09 at North Dakota State Loss Just to cover my butt I'll say we lose. I think this is a winable game for us though.

10/17/09 vs. Southern Illinois Win We're at home. SIU will be tough though.

10/24/09 at South Dakota State Win We seem to understand how to play the Jacks.

11/07/09 vs. Youngstown State Win Farley continues his dominance over Heacock. Heacock gets fired at the end of the year.

11/14/09 vs. Western Illinois Win Without a good QB and having lost Donaldson, WIU loses their first trip to Cedar Falls in 3 years.

11/21/09 at Illinois State Win UNI finishes the season strong.

Overall 9-2 MVFC 7-1

darell1976
August 12th, 2009, 04:55 PM
9/5 @ Texas Tech--If UND scores at least 10-14 points thats a moral victory and please keep Tech under 50....blowout.

9/19 @ Northwestern St.--UND is their home opener so I think UND will come up short.

9/26 @ S.F. Austin--UND is their home opener but i think UND pulls this out in OT.

10/3 vs South Dakota-- Homecoming and UND's home opener--sold out crowd UND gets the W.

10/10 vs Stony Brook-- Potato Bowl big crowd new opponent, UND wins

10/17 vs Sioux Falls-- easy win for the Sioux at home

10/24 @ S. Utah--payback for last year UND wins in a nail biter.

10/31 vs Cal Poly (UND Hall Of Fame Game)-- Halloween day UND pulls out the upset at home

11/7 vs S. Oregon-- Easy win for the Sioux for the last home game of the season

11/14 @ UC Davis-- could be ugly out there Davis wins big.

11/21@ Central Arkansas-- UND blownout at the last game of year 2 of transition.

7-4 overall and 3-1 in the GWFC. (could be worse if UND's offense spudders this year)

On a side note i just noticed 3 games against the Southland Conference. Maybe UND's future home. LOL!!

darell1976
August 12th, 2009, 04:57 PM
09/05/09 at Iowa Loss. Too much depth on a decent Hawkeye squad

09/12/09 vs. South Dakota Win Should be a pretty good game, but no reason to believe we don't get the win.

09/19/09 vs. Saint Francis Win A St Francis win would be the upset of the decade

09/26/09 at Missouri State Win Mo State has not kept this game close the last few years and has already lost it's top 2 RB's for the season

10/03/09 vs. Indiana State Win The Sycs may put up a little more fight than the past few years, but it won't be enough.

10/10/09 at North Dakota State Loss Just to cover my butt I'll say we lose. I think this is a winable game for us though.

10/17/09 vs. Southern Illinois Win We're at home. SIU will be tough though.

10/24/09 at South Dakota State Win We seem to understand how to play the Jacks.

11/07/09 vs. Youngstown State Win Farley continues his dominance over Heacock. Heacock gets fired at the end of the year.

11/14/09 vs. Western Illinois Win Without a good QB and having lost Donaldson, WIU loses their first trip to Cedar Falls in 3 years.

11/21/09 at Illinois State Win UNI finishes the season strong.

Overall 9-2 MVFC 7-1

I thought that was D2 North Dakota at the UNI Dome.;)

JALMOND
August 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I've done this quite a few times and I cannot get Portland State's record to actually be believable. Check it out.

At Oregon State---(L) 0-1. Come on, its Oregon State.
Southern Oregon---(W) 1-1. DII team, mediocre at best.
At Montana---(L) 1-2. Griz at Wash-Griz. Close game at best.
Weber State---(L) 1-3. Home opener against a tough opponent.
Sacramento State---(W) 2-3. Another home game with a tough team, but not as tough as Weber State.
At Northern Colorado---(W) 3-3. We have not lost to UNC since they became FCS.
Northern Arizona---(W) 4-3. We do play tough at home.
UC-Davis---(W) 5-3. Good rivalry. Never lose at home.
Eastern Washington---(W) 6-3. At Seattle. Have won three straight against the Eagles.
Montana State---(L) 6-4. Like this matchup, but the Bobcats may have the edge.
At Idaho State---(W) 7-4. How the season goes will determine if this is a tough game.

7-4 overall, 6-4 DI, 5-3 conference. Maybe higher than actual, but the Eastern game at Seattle really throws me. Glad we are playing there instead of Cheney.

appfan2008
August 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I could go undefeated but I dont think so... ECU will be tough and while I wont predict any one of them happening I think we WILL lose one of Elon, Furman, and Wofford

@ ECU L
McNeese St W
Samford W
@ The Citadel W
NC Central W
@ Wofford W
Georgia SouthernW
@ Furman W
Chattanooga W
@ Elon W
Western CarolinaW

like I said I know I have 10 W's on the board but I think we go 9-2... either an armanti injury or fatigue or looking over an opponent while the opponent treats as the biggest game of the year... something will happen so i say 9-2 and 7-1 in the socon for at least a share of the league crown and a first round home game... if not more

technocat
August 12th, 2009, 05:51 PM
9/5 @Michigan St - loss, but I'm hoping that we keep it respectable.
9/12 Dixie St - win, our playdown game, hopefully workout the offensive kinks
9/26 @Northern Colorado - win, NCU has inproved but I think we pull it out
10/3 @Weber St - loss, I think they just have to much firepower at home
10/10 Northern Arizon - win, first conference home game, we get it down against a good NAU team.
10/17 South Dakota - win, it'll be a battle, nothing like the beating we gave them last year, but we pull it out
10/24 @Eastern Washington - win, it's at there house but I believe this will be the year we finally get the eagle of our backs!
10/31 Idaho St - win, they will probably be the worst team in the sky this year
11/7 @Portland St - win, they have a lot of offensive firepower but i don't think it will be enough
11/14 Sacramento St - win, they're supposed to be better this year but until they prove it I'm taking a win in our house
11/21 Montana - win, our house gets us a win in a tight game!!

9-2 winning the big sky outright.

Silenoz
August 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
14-1

Call me arrogant, or a homer, but I really do think we should be the favorite to win it all. I think we will probably drop a single regular season game to WSU, MSU, EWU or Cal Poly, but still lock up a top 2 seed and make another title run. And I refuse to believe we'd drop the title match yet again.

The obvious arguments against this are a new QB and losses on the online. But that hasn't slowed us down in the past (Jason Washington being the exception), and doesn't have me worried.

93henfan
August 12th, 2009, 06:32 PM
We're in the CAA. Your guess is as good as mine. I'll narrow it down to somewhere between five and eight regular season wins.

DX Man
August 12th, 2009, 07:28 PM
at ECU L (This is a must win for ECU & App will likely go with a backup QB)
McNeese State W (Finally a quality OOC game at The Rock)
Samford W (We will welcome them on their first trip to The Rock in style)
at The Citadel W ( The Citadel will play with a lot of pride, but it's not enough)
NC Central W (Homecoming Game)
at Wofford W (Coach Ayers will have his team fired up)
Georgia Southern W (This game will be a battle royal)
at Furman W (Potential to be a good Halloween game)
Chattanooga W (App will not run up the score)
at Elon W (It's late in the season. Which Elon team will show up?)
Western Carolina W (App will not run up the score...maybe)

It will be an awesome achievement if we get a win at ECU, but they are not taking us lightly. I do see the possibility of losing one more game because every team considers ASU their biggest game of the year.

LacesOut
August 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I don't know I-AA football well enough to go through the actual schedule of teams, so..........Delaware - 6 W's, 5 L's.

But 2010................watch out!

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Western Illinois - Win, two teams looking to figure out what the future brings, home team edge
North Dakota State - Loss, figure we'll split with the MVFC schools
at Tulsa - Loss, FBS high-powered offense
St. Josephs - Win, what else would it be?
Nicholls - Win. Not convinced that Colonels are going to have success, especially away from Thibodaux
at SELU - Loss. Looking forward to the game but until I am convinced the defense can put pressure on QB and liable to give up big plys, I like the Lions
at SFA- Win, Kats have had a fair deal of success and even if Moses throws 70 passes again, he still won't prevail
NWST - Win, just because I do not want the Demon fans thinking I am going soft on them because I allegedly do not like them more than anyone
at McNeese - Loss, just not going to win in the Hole
UCA - Loss and wondering if we'll ever beat the Bears
at TXST - Win, just because I think after years of them partying around us, that I am optimistic we can at least ruin their fun

Record: 6-5 (4-3 SLC) - Another so-so year above .500. Average at best.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 12th, 2009, 07:55 PM
This is certaintly liable to change. I don't see Lehigh giving up many points this year. Lehigh also has 7 home games! The only game that Lehigh is a clear cut underdog is Villanova. I've been realistic the last few years and the teams performance was about what i thought. This year there's really no excuses. The talent level is back.

W, Central Conn. State- CCSU was pretty good last year. They didn't beat anyone of note however. Lehigwill be the more talented team top to bottom. I can't see CCSU being able to do much on offense. 38-10

L, @ Villanova- Lehigh fought 'Nova pretty good last year at least on defense. Clark was making his second start and just wasn't prepared for 'Nova's speed on D. Last year was the first game in the series that was seperated by more than 10 points. Lehigh will make Villanova work for everything they get before losing. 24-27

W, Princeton- This will be Princetons first game and Lehigh will have a week to rest up after 'Nova. Revenge will be a big motivation. 34-14

W, Harvard- Another revenge game. Lehigh had Harvard dead to rights last year but Clark fumbled the inside Harvards 10 yard line with a minute left. 27-17

W, Georgetown- This will be a lay-up. 42-16

W, Yale- Yale lost a decent amount from last year and seem to be in a bit of a rebuilding mold. This could be a tricky game though. 31-24

W, @ Bucknell- Lehigh has owned the Bison for the last 12 years. Their style of play just does not match up with the Hawks. Plus this is basically another home game for Lehigh. There will certaintly be more Lehigh fans than Bucknell ones. 38-14

W, @ Colgate- The Raiders lost a lot from last year and Lehigh is one of the few teams that play well in Hamilton. This is another revenge game. 24-10

W, Holy Cross- The Crusaders must come to Bethlehem. HC has had Lehigh's number the last few years but i think this is the year to end it. Lehigh has all the tools on defense to make Randolph's life miserable. If Lehigh is in the hunt Goodman will be packed. 33-24

L, @ Fordham- Fordham should be pretty good this year and they'll catch Lehigh at the perfect time. Lehigh falls behind early and can't quite make it up. 24-31

W, Lafayette- Lehigh finally ended the streak against Lafayette last year. This year they finally beat the 'Pards at home for the first time since '03. 38-17

The win gives Lehigh the auto bid to the playoff, HC gets an at-large.

onbison09
August 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
9/3 - @Iowa State Loss, O struggles in the first game, but D manages to keep it close
9/12 - @Sam Houston St, Win, O finally gets it together, D shuts em down. And I will be there!!
9/19 - Wagner College, Win, We will pwn them.
9/26 - @SIU, Loss, A little overmatched.
10/3 - Illinois St, Win, This one's a tossup for me but I'll say win on HC
10/10 - UNI, Loss, I want to say win but I don't think so
10/17 - @SDSU, Win, Heart says win, head says loss. Heart wins out.
10/24 - Missouri St, WIN, Bears can't handle Dome crowd
10/31 - @Western Illinois, Loss, for some reason I think we lose
11/14 - @ Indiana St, WIN, Easy win (I hope)
11/21 - Youngstown St, WIN, Revenge from last year

7-4 5-2 MVFC But we could be 6-5, 5-6, 8-3. I just don't know with this year's team.

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I thought that was D2 North Dakota at the UNI Dome.;)

No. North Dakota would smoke St Francis.

GOKATS
August 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM
14-1

Call me arrogant, or a homer, but I really do think we should be the favorite to win it all. I think we will probably drop a single regular season game to WSU, MSU, EWU or Cal Poly, but still lock up a top 2 seed and make another title run. And I refuse to believe we'd drop the title match yet again.

The obvious arguments against this are a new QB and losses on the online. But that hasn't slowed us down in the past (Jason Washington being the exception), and doesn't have me worried.

OK, arrogant homer, my guess is the griz will go 9-2/6-2 conf.

PantherRob82
August 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
OK, arrogant homer, my guess is the griz will go 9-2/6-2 conf.
and their 2 losses?

crusader11
August 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Call me arrogant, but I don't see us losing in the regular season. At home against Harvard and Colgate will be tough, and at Lehigh will be as well, but as of now I think we are the favorite in every game.

11-0

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2009, 12:24 AM
14-1

Don't think a 9 Div I win Montana would get a top 2 seed. Remember, that D-II game counts for nothing. Say either UR and/or ASU was 9-2 with one of their losses coming to ECU/Duke.
Montana/ASU/UR would all be 9-1 vs I-AA.
-UR & ASU would have that 11th game against a I-A, while for Montana it would be against a DII.
-UR & ASU won't be penalized/dropped in the polls (and probably not in the rankings either) by a I-A loss, and since they are starting out the season ranked ahead of Montana, either one of them at 9-2 would likely be seeded ahead of Montana at 10-1. Remember, last season 10-2 ASU and UNI were seeded ahead of 11-1 Montana since they both played a I-A and no Div II while Montana played no I-A and a Div II. Even a 9-2 Nova or UNI could be seeded ahead of a 10-1 Montana, as both Nova and UNI play a I-A and don't play a Div II, while Montana is just the opposite.
Montana at 11-0 likely = a #1 or #2 seed
Montana at 10-1 likely = a #3 or a #4 seed.

PantherRob82
August 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Call me arrogant, but I don't see us losing in the regular season. At home against Harvard and Colgate will be tough, and at Lehigh will be as well, but as of now I think we are the favorite in every game.

11-0

What's your OOC schedule like? Would 11-0 put you in the playoffs?

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM
This is certaintly liable to change. I don't see Lehigh giving up many points this year. Lehigh also has 7 home games! The only game that Lehigh is a clear cut underdog is Villanova. I've been realistic the last few years and the teams performance was about what i thought. This year there's really no excuses. The talent level is back.

W, Central Conn. State- CCSU was pretty good last year. They didn't beat anyone of note however. Lehigwill be the more talented team top to bottom. I can't see CCSU being able to do much on offense. 38-10

L, @ Villanova- Lehigh fought 'Nova pretty good last year at least on defense. Clark was making his second start and just wasn't prepared for 'Nova's speed on D. Last year was the first game in the series that was seperated by more than 10 points. Lehigh will make Villanova work for everything they get before losing. 24-27

W, Princeton- This will be Princetons first game and Lehigh will have a week to rest up after 'Nova. Revenge will be a big motivation. 34-14

W, Harvard- Another revenge game. Lehigh had Harvard dead to rights last year but Clark fumbled the inside Harvards 10 yard line with a minute left. 27-17

W, Georgetown- This will be a lay-up. 42-16

W, Yale- Yale lost a decent amount from last year and seem to be in a bit of a rebuilding mold. This could be a tricky game though. 31-24

W, @ Bucknell- Lehigh has owned the Bison for the last 12 years. Their style of play just does not match up with the Hawks. Plus this is basically another home game for Lehigh. There will certaintly be more Lehigh fans than Bucknell ones. 38-14

W, @ Colgate- The Raiders lost a lot from last year and Lehigh is one of the few teams that play well in Hamilton. This is another revenge game. 24-10

W, Holy Cross- The Crusaders must come to Bethlehem. HC has had Lehigh's number the last few years but i think this is the year to end it. Lehigh has all the tools on defense to make Randolph's life miserable. If Lehigh is in the hunt Goodman will be packed. 33-24

L, @ Fordham- Fordham should be pretty good this year and they'll catch Lehigh at the perfect time. Lehigh falls behind early and can't quite make it up. 24-31

W, Lafayette- Lehigh finally ended the streak against Lafayette last year. This year they finally beat the 'Pards at home for the first time since '03. 38-17

The win gives Lehigh the auto bid to the playoff, HC gets an at-large.

xeyebrowxxeyebrowxxeyebrowx JMU, UD, W&M, UNH, heck, maybe even UR, might lose to Nova by more than 3. Give me a break. I'd be shocked if Nova didn't beat Lehigh by AT LEAST 2 TDs.

Only if HC was 10-1. And at 10-1 I would imagine they'd be getting the Patriot AQ. At 9-2 they would have no OOC quality wins, as there is no quality OOC team on their schedule. I certainly don't see any 9-2 Patriot getting at at-large over an 8-3 (8 Div I win, 2 FCS loss) CAA/So-Con/MVFC/Big Sky, esp considering the Patriot hasn't won a playoff game since 03' (lost 6 straight) and don't play I-A teams. But a 9-2 Patriot could over a 7-4 from one of the power conferences like you had the last 2 years (ok, Maine was 8-4 last year) unless it was Wofford or FU (as they are 2 of the power conference contenders off the top of my head who play 2 I-As (and no Div II)).

crusader11
August 13th, 2009, 12:54 AM
What's your OOC schedule like? Would 11-0 put you in the playoffs?

OOC is pretty weak this year. Harvard, Sacred Heart, Northeastern, Brown, and Dartmouth.

The PL gets an Auto Bid to the playoffs, so 11-0 would obviously give us a bid. I think the only way we get an auto bid is if we run the table in the OOC and have one mishap in league play that leaves us at 10-1. If one league loss doesn't win us the league, I think it's likely we'd get an auto-bid with a 10-1 record, but not a lock.

JALMOND
August 13th, 2009, 12:56 AM
14-1

I must be the only one who thinks the Griz have a tough game at UC-Davis. The Griz are breaking in a new QB (Roper, Selle or whoever) and I don't see that being resolved against Western State. Davis is the first FCS/DI team the Griz will play, they play the Aggies on the road, and the Aggies played the Griz tough in Missoula last year (at almost the same point on the schedule). Griz return alot (only spot lacking is QB) but Davis also returns a bunch. This game is not a sure win for the Griz.

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2009, 12:58 AM

11-0

That would be interesting as to whether or not a 11-0 HC would be given the #4 seed over a 9-2 ASU/UR/Nova/UNI/SIU etc. Don;t think it would happen unless HC was beating the snot out of just about everyone they played as they don't have a quality OOC on their schedule.

The last time I can remember someone from outside the 4 power conferences + McNeese being 11-0 was in 05. An 11-0 Hampton was seeded and got spanked in the 1st round 38-10 by an 8-3 UR team.

CrunchGriz
August 13th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I must be the only one who thinks the Griz have a tough game at UC-Davis. The Griz are breaking in a new QB (Roper, Selle or whoever) and I don't see that being resolved against Western State. Davis is the first FCS/DI team the Griz will play, they play the Aggies on the road, and the Aggies played the Griz tough in Missoula last year (at almost the same point on the schedule). Griz return alot (only spot lacking is QB) but Davis also returns a bunch. This game is not a sure win for the Griz.

You're not the only one. Many of us know that UCD gave the Griz fits last year. And, as you note, the Griz are breaking in a new starting QB.

On the other hand, Selle has been with the program for 3+ years now and knows the offense backwards and forwards, and Roper has skills that just need to be meshed with the talent around him.

Also, at that point in 2008 Montana had yet to settle on a feature back. Its offense was a lot different once the coaching staff decided just to hand the ball to Chase Reynolds. Chase didn't really get the nod until the eighth game.

Chase's 2008 numbers--

First 7 games:
273 yards, 9 carries/game, 4.1 yards/carry, 39 yards/game rushing

Last 9 games:
1310 yards, 24 carries/game, 6.1 yards/carry, 146 yards/game rushing
(including 147 yards/game in the playoffs)

Should be a good one, regardless.

PaladinFan
August 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM
My uneducated guess for Furman:

v. Presbyterian: W (I don't see PC staying within three TDs)

at UTC: W (UTC hasn't beaten Furman since the early 90s. Strangely, Furman seems to play better in this series on the road)

at Missouri: L (Hard to predict wins against FBS schools, but don't be suprised if this one isn't closer than most think)

at WCU: W (WCU played us tough last year and have upset Furman in Cullowhee in recent memory. However, this is a game Furman should win)

v. Elon: L (Could be one of the key conference games of the season. Furman plays well at home, but Elon won't have hit their mid-fall swoon yet)

v. Samford: W (Another game FU should win. The Paladins do have a history of making homecoming games more exciting than they ought to be though)

at The Citadel: W (FU is by all accounts improved over the 2008 team that hammered the Citadel. The bulldogs always play us tough in Charleston, though)

v. App State: W (Call me crazy. FU played step for step with ASU last season in Boone and the defense that held Armanti Edwards to very little yardage now sports 6'+ cornerbacks that can take away the jump ball)

at Auburn: L (Will be a good game, but an SEC defense and running game will take its toll in the second half)

at GSU: W (Always tough to win in Statesboro, but I still think Furman is the more talented team for the time being)

v. Wofford: L (Wofford has whipped us good the past two years. I won't bet against them until I see some improvement from Furman)

anyway, I see Furman as an 8-4 team regardless. The SoCon is so close in many respects that you could probably flip flop a lot of the wins and losses. It'll be a fun season to follow with big games happening every weekend.

SactoHornetFan
August 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM

No way UM loses to ucdavis. The ags don't really show anything on defense, especially their secondary. And if their line doesn't protect Denham, he's toast.

fuEMO
August 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM

at UTC: W (UTC hasn't beaten Furman since the early 90s. Strangely, Furman seems to play better in this series on the road)

at Missouri: L (Hard to predict wins against FBS schools, but don't be suprised if this one isn't closer than most think)

at WCU: W (WCU played us tough last year and have upset Furman in Cullowhee in recent memory. However, this is a game Furman should win)

v. Elon: L (Could be one of the key conference games of the season. Furman plays well at home, but Elon won't have hit their mid-fall swoon yet)

v. Samford: W (Another game FU should win. The Paladins do have a history of making homecoming games more exciting than they ought to be though)

at The Citadel: W (FU is by all accounts improved over the 2008 team that hammered the Citadel. The bulldogs always play us tough in Charleston, though)

v. App State: W (Call me crazy. FU played step for step with ASU last season in Boone and the defense that held Armanti Edwards to very little yardage now sports 6'+ cornerbacks that can take away the jump ball)

at Auburn: L (Will be a good game, but an SEC defense and running game will take its toll in the second half)

at GSU: W (Always tough to win in Statesboro, but I still think Furman is the more talented team for the time being)

v. Wofford: L (Wofford has whipped us good the past two years. I won't bet against them until I see some improvement from Furman)

anyway, I see Furman as an 8-4 team regardless. The SoCon is so close in many respects that you could probably flip flop a lot of the wins and losses. It'll be a fun season to follow with big games happening every weekend.

Based on the early pre-season practices the defense is probably going to be better than expected. The biggest are of improvement appears to be coming from the speed at linebacker and the combo of size and speed at corner and free safety. I think your right at 8-4 but I think Furman was 2 out of the 3 home games against (App, Elon, Woffy) I'm guessing here but I think a win against Wofford is a must-win for BL this season.

Silenoz
August 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM

I was actually thinking I should edit my post and put Davis in there.

PaladinFan
August 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Based on the early pre-season practices the defense is probably going to be better than expected. The biggest are of improvement appears to be coming from the speed at linebacker and the combo of size and speed at corner and free safety. I think your right at 8-4 but I think Furman was 2 out of the 3 home games against (App, Elon, Woffy) I'm guessing here but I think a win against Wofford is a must-win for BL this season.

Defense is usually ahead of offense at the beginning of the year.

I don't necessarily believe that Lamb has to beat Wofford. I do believe Lamb needs to win at least two of those big home games (App, Elon, Wofford).

I also think that the Paladins really need to take care of business against teams with less talent. No close games or trap games against the lower half of the conference.

drpnut
August 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Ok... here goes

at South Florida... Woffy plays close but falls by 7 L

vs. Chuck South Woffy cruises by 28 W

at Wisc. Woffy stuns Big10 world and wins by 7 W
at Chatty Chatty always plays us tought there, but we prevail by 10 W
vs. Ga South This will be a battle, but we prevail by 7 W
vs. Appy WE will be motivated and clip the 'neers by 3 W
at Western C. They will play tough... but we win by 7 W
vs. Elon The Phoenix want revenge, but don't get it... by 10 W
at ElCid Close game, but we win by 10 for the 11th year in a row W

vs. Samford Better game than most think we prevail by 10 W
at Furple as much as I hate to say it... they get us this year by 7 L

9-2 with a share of the crown...

GoAgs72
August 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I, too, think the UC Davis/Montana game will be a close one. The Aggies came close last year (29-24) and it looks like the team will be improved last year and it's at home. I think some of the bonehead plays we had last year that allowed Sac State to finally win a game against us (after many years) will be gone this year with new coaching staff.

phoenixphanatic21
August 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Why not. I'll give this a shot.
vs. Davidson - W
@ Presby - W
@ Wake Forest- L (Big shootout here. Elon will keep it close for 3 quarters, but Wake will pull away in the 4th.)
vs. Georgia Southern - W
@ Furman - W (Revenge for what happened 2 years ago.)
vs. Citadel - W (Citdog comment in 5....4....3....)
vs. Chatty - W
@ Wofford - L
@ Western Carolina - W (But Western will put up a hell of a fight.)
vs. App - L
@ Samford -W (Elon finally gets over the bump and wins to clinch a playoff birth.)

Total: 8-3 (6-2)

PaladinFan
August 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Why not. I'll give this a shot.
vs. Davidson - W
@ Presby - W
@ Wake Forest- L (Big shootout here. Elon will keep it close for 3 quarters, but Wake will pull away in the 4th.)
vs. Georgia Southern - W
@ Furman - W (Revenge for what happened 2 years ago.)
vs. Citadel - W (Citdog comment in 5....4....3....)
vs. Chatty - W
@ Wofford - L
@ Western Carolina - W (But Western will put up a hell of a fight.)
vs. App - L
@ Samford -W (Elon finally gets over the bump and wins to clinch a playoff birth.)

Total: 8-3 (6-2)

That was a strange game.

ToTheLeft
August 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
09/05 - 12:00 PM - @ West Virginia L Just can't see this happening...
09/12 - 7:00 PM - NC Central W
09/19 - 6:00 PM - @ Lafayette L Will be a good game, lots of revenge factor on our part, but this will be tough on the road.
09/26 - 7:00 PM - JMU W I think we pull it off here...
10/03 - 7:00 PM - WV Wesleyan W And we win the rest...
10/10 - ............. - Open
10/17 - 3:30 PM - Coastal Carolina* (Homecoming) W
10/24 - 1:30 PM - @ Charleston Southern* W
10/31 - 3:30 PM - Presbyterian W
11/07 - 7:00 PM - VMI* W
11/14 - 1:30 PM - @ Gardner-Webb* W
11/21 - 1:00 PM - @ Stony Brook* W This is the toughest one, and will probably decide the Big South, but I just don't think we will let ourselves lose.

9-2 (5(6)-0)

RabidRabbit
August 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
SDSU brings a lot of returning talents to each side of the ball this year. Very favorable schedule to get new QB up to speed.

Late start for the Jacks, so no off week once started.

9/12 - GA Southern in Brookings for the last of the Jacks home/home. Seriously, this is this most likely play-in game for the play-offs on 9/12. Jacks win 27-24.
9/19 - IN St plays in Brookings as Beef Bowl opponent. Sycamores made into silage. W - 40-14.
9/26 @ IL St. - Redbirds are down, and not ready for Runnin' Rabbits. W 28-14.
10/3 - @ Cal Poly - The Stangs/Rabbits has been a GREAT WEST match-up, that will be missed after this year. IMHO, Stangs had too many changes, especially on offense, to win this game. Another play-off implication game for both teams. Jacks squeak out a win in 2OT when Poly hits a miracle hail Mary pass with under 1 min left. W - 38-37 2OT. (Tied 24 b4 OT).
10/10 @ Mo St - Mo St. is already hurting losing both #1 & #2 RB's, and they are NOT a deep team. Jacks chalk up another Valley win. W 35-21.
10/17 - NDSU @ CAS for the Dakota Marker. Last Night game of the Season at Coughlin, temps in mid 40's, but Jacks and Bison come to battle for the 96th time. Jacks do something that has never occurred, skunk the Bison at CAS for an entire decade (last Bison win @ CAS 1999), and have first 3 game win streak vs Bison since 61-63. W 31-28
10/24 - UNI @ CAS for Hobo Day game - Either UNI or SIU will pull out win in Brookings this year. UNI has been the ONE team to BEAT the Jacks last two seasons. Another classic game for homecoming. L 21-24
10/31 - @Youngstown St. - Jacks haven't done well at the Ice Palace. This year changes that. W 35-21
11/7 - SIU @ CAS. No SIU scat back, No SIU win in blustery SD. Jacks pencil in play-off slot. W 28-24
11/14 - @ MN Gophers. First FCS opponent at new Gopher stadium. Jacks in play-offs win or lose. Gophs battling to get .500 record. Jacks pick up $$$. L 38-14.
11/21 - @WIU - leathernecks have had a rough year. Jacks finish them off in Macomb. W 35-17

9-2, 7-1, co-champs with UNI, but lost head-head, so get at-large. Jacks shipped to MT for 1st round, and keep their perfect record vs MT intact. xoopsx

PSUVikings
August 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM
@Oregon State - L 17-45 - Oregon State is nearly impossible to beat in Corvallis, even USC could not complete that feat.

Southern Oregon - W 56-17 - Southern Oregon is nothing more then a tune up game.

@Montana - L 28-46 - Nearly beat the Griz at WGS 2 years ago, but it won't be as close this time.

Weber State - L 50-56 - High scoring game, much like last game at PGE

Sacramento State - W 45-31 - Vikings offense gets the best of Sac State.

@Northern Colorado - W 34-32 - Vikings will get a shock from UNC, but are able to come out on top in the end.

Northern Arizona - W 48-38 - Vikings finally get over the NAU hump.

UC-Davis - L 37-38 - We always seem to flop towards the end of the game against UC-Davis.

@Eastern Washington - W 55-38 - EWU has struggled big time against PSU the past 3 years. The BSC's worst secondary gets lit up again by Hubel.

Montana State - L 40-52 - Once again, Glanville has never been able to figure this team out.

@Idaho State - W 55-27 - Vikings end 2009 on good note.

2009 Portland State Vikings - 6-5 (5-3)

bjtheflamesfan
August 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I actually disagreed (slightly) with my buddy TTL on this one:

Greetings Flames Fans! Well Training camp is in full swing (although today is a rather wet day) and with three weeks until the opener in Morgantown , Im going to take a second and revisit my take on what the boys are facing this year

@WVU WVU is not the elite team they were a few years ago but they are still very VERY good. LU loses this one but if they can make it respectable that is good enough for me. 42 LU 24 0-1

vs. NC Central LU hasnt lost a home opener since Aug 31 2002 (23-3 vs Western Carolina which ironically was my freshman year) absolutely electric atmosphere...LU wins big LU 49-NCCU 7 1-1

@Lafayette This next two weeks really will tell just how we're going to do the rest of the year. LU hasnt done too well in road games but did go 2-0 in road games out of conference last year. I think the Flames take this one in a squeaker LU 28 LC 24 2-1

vs. JMU The Dukes are probably going to come into this one top 5 in the country (at worst top 10) This one is probably the biggest game we have all year and its the biggest home game we've had in a LONG time. Another electric atmosphere (and possibly a record crowd) stokes the Flames and they win in a big upset LU 34 JMU 31 3-1

vs. West Virginia Wesleyan LU hasnt lost to a DII or lower program at home since 1993. That isnt changing this time...LU in a huge rout LU 63 WVW 0 4-1

vs. Coastal Carolina Its Homecoming and LU will be feelin good. Flames give the alumni (and all the other fans in attendance) plenty to cheer about and another round of KFC for all! LU 56 CCU 14 5-1 1-0

@ Charleston Southern Theyre headed in the right direction but the Buc stops here LU 35 CSU 17 6-1 2-0

vs. Presbyterian The Blue Hose caught LU by surprise last year in Clinton, but they're in our house this time and there wont be any surprises this time LU 42 PC 0 7-1 3-0

vs. VMI Last time the Keydets came to LU, the FLames either set or NEARLY set a bunch of records on the offensive side. I think we could be in for another shootout LU 56 VMI 35 8-1 4-0

@ Gardner-Webb The boys from Boiling Spring got collared last time as LU clinched their first conference title. It wont be as dominating but LU sets up another Big South Championship game in the final week with a win LU 24 G-W 20 9-1 5-0

@ Stony Brook This one not only will decide the conference champion, but LU's playoff hopes will be riding on this game. Coach Rocco will have the boys ready to play and they nail down their 3rd straight title and first ever playoff bid with a dogfight of a win in NY LU 49 SBU 42 10-1 6-0

Really Lafayette and JMU are going to be the biggest games to determine whether LU is on the road to becoming a great team in I-AA/FCS or just another "good" team

appfan2008
August 13th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I guess it will be a long year for app... on this thread I have seen us losing to furman, wofford and gsu... just saying... haha

asknoquarter21
August 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM

No player in the FCS is gonna take the jump ball from Brian Quick.

6'+ is good, but for taking away the jump ball, don't think your safe there

jstclmet
August 13th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I guess it will be a long year for app... on this thread I have seen us losing to furman, wofford and gsu... just saying... haha

If you make the playoffs, then you'll probably have to face at least 1 of 5 CAA teams. The following 9 will fight for the 5 spots;

JMU, W&M, UR, UNH, Nova, Maine, HU, UD, UMass.

If you're lucky, you won't see one of us until at least the 2nd round. xpeacex

asknoquarter21
August 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM

That's what I was thinking

Everyone is claiming that they have improved.

I wish App would have improved this season, heck I wish we could have 20 starters on offense and defense returning.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Lose to APP and UNC, both close, and win the rest.

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2009, 02:53 PM
This thread has gotten ridiculous. If everyone's predictions came true, 80% of the teams would have winning records, and there would be 20+ teams in the playoffsxrolleyesx

I'll be one of the few to give a realistic prediction on here. JMU will finish somewhere between 6-5 and 10-1. Count on it.

Silenoz
August 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
This thread has gotten ridiculous. If everyone's predictions came true, 80% of the teams would have winning records, and there would be 20+ teams in the playoffsxrolleyesx

I'll be one of the few to give a realistic prediction on here. JMU will finish somewhere between 6-5 and 10-1. Count on it.
Well yeah, but if everyone gave a range we'd have nothing but "anywhere between 6-5 and 10-1"

PantherRob82
August 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
OOC is pretty weak this year. Harvard, Sacred Heart, Northeastern, Brown, and Dartmouth.

The PL gets an Auto Bid to the playoffs, so 11-0 would obviously give us a bid. I think the only way we get an auto bid is if we run the table in the OOC and have one mishap in league play that leaves us at 10-1. If one league loss doesn't win us the league, I think it's likely we'd get an auto-bid with a 10-1 record, but not a lock.

Why was I putting HC in the NEC? xconfusedxxconfusedx:o

BDKJMU
August 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Well yeah, but if everyone gave a range we'd have nothing but "anywhere between 6-5 and 10-1"

Which would again be impossible, because for every team that finishes between 6-5 & 10-1, you'll have one finishing between 1-10 and 5-6.

JALMOND
August 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM
@Oregon State - L 17-45 - Oregon State is nearly impossible to beat in Corvallis, even USC could not complete that feat.

Southern Oregon - W 56-17 - Southern Oregon is nothing more then a tune up game.

@Montana - L 28-46 - Nearly beat the Griz at WGS 2 years ago, but it won't be as close this time.

Weber State - L 50-56 - High scoring game, much like last game at PGE

Sacramento State - W 45-31 - Vikings offense gets the best of Sac State.

@Northern Colorado - W 34-32 - Vikings will get a shock from UNC, but are able to come out on top in the end.

Northern Arizona - W 48-38 - Vikings finally get over the NAU hump.

UC-Davis - L 37-38 - We always seem to flop towards the end of the game against UC-Davis.

@Eastern Washington - W 55-38 - EWU has struggled big time against PSU the past 3 years. The BSC's worst secondary gets lit up again by Hubel.

Montana State - L 40-52 - Once again, Glanville has never been able to figure this team out.

@Idaho State - W 55-27 - Vikings end 2009 on good note.

2009 Portland State Vikings - 6-5 (5-3)

Only difference between you and me is the Davis game. I still have to give it to us. Davis does not play well on the road and we play much better at home. I still say we squeak it out.

As far as Montana State, I am still waiting for that 34 Power Play that Glanville talked about ramming it down Montana State's throat. I have visions of McClintock barrelling through. Oh well, at least I have the visions. It would be nice if they could come true.xwhistlex

PantherRob82
August 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM
09/05 - 12:00 PM - @ West Virginia L Just can't see this happening...
09/12 - 7:00 PM - NC Central W
09/19 - 6:00 PM - @ Lafayette L Will be a good game, lots of revenge factor on our part, but this will be tough on the road.
09/26 - 7:00 PM - JMU W I think we pull it off here...
10/03 - 7:00 PM - WV Wesleyan W And we win the rest...
10/10 - ............. - Open
10/17 - 3:30 PM - Coastal Carolina* (Homecoming) W
10/24 - 1:30 PM - @ Charleston Southern* W
10/31 - 3:30 PM - Presbyterian W
11/07 - 7:00 PM - VMI* W
11/14 - 1:30 PM - @ Gardner-Webb* W
11/21 - 1:00 PM - @ Stony Brook* W This is the toughest one, and will probably decide the Big South, but I just don't think we will let ourselves lose.

9-2 (5(6)-0)

What do you think gives you the edge over JMU?

PantherRob82
August 13th, 2009, 03:10 PM
SDSU brings a lot of returning talents to each side of the ball this year. Very favorable schedule to get new QB up to speed.

Late start for the Jacks, so no off week once started.

9/12 - GA Southern in Brookings for the last of the Jacks home/home. Seriously, this is this most likely play-in game for the play-offs on 9/12. Jacks win 27-24.
9/19 - IN St plays in Brookings as Beef Bowl opponent. Sycamores made into silage. W - 40-14.
9/26 @ IL St. - Redbirds are down, and not ready for Runnin' Rabbits. W 28-14.
10/3 - @ Cal Poly - The Stangs/Rabbits has been a GREAT WEST match-up, that will be missed after this year. IMHO, Stangs had too many changes, especially on offense, to win this game. Another play-off implication game for both teams. Jacks squeak out a win in 2OT when Poly hits a miracle hail Mary pass with under 1 min left. W - 38-37 2OT. (Tied 24 b4 OT).
10/10 @ Mo St - Mo St. is already hurting losing both #1 & #2 RB's, and they are NOT a deep team. Jacks chalk up another Valley win. W 35-21.
10/17 - NDSU @ CAS for the Dakota Marker. Last Night game of the Season at Coughlin, temps in mid 40's, but Jacks and Bison come to battle for the 96th time. Jacks do something that has never occurred, skunk the Bison at CAS for an entire decade (last Bison win @ CAS 1999), and have first 3 game win streak vs Bison since 61-63. W 31-28
10/24 - UNI @ CAS for Hobo Day game - Either UNI or SIU will pull out win in Brookings this year. UNI has been the ONE team to BEAT the Jacks last two seasons. Another classic game for homecoming. L 21-24
10/31 - @Youngstown St. - Jacks haven't done well at the Ice Palace. This year changes that. W 35-21
11/7 - SIU @ CAS. No SIU scat back, No SIU win in blustery SD. Jacks pencil in play-off slot. W 28-24
11/14 - @ MN Gophers. First FCS opponent at new Gopher stadium. Jacks in play-offs win or lose. Gophs battling to get .500 record. Jacks pick up $$$. L 38-14.
11/21 - @WIU - leathernecks have had a rough year. Jacks finish them off in Macomb. W 35-17

9-2, 7-1, co-champs with UNI, but lost head-head, so get at-large. Jacks shipped to MT for 1st round, and keep their perfect record vs MT intact. xoopsx

Great breakdown. I hope to make it to Brookings for our game. Should be a good one.

PantherRob82
August 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Well one of them should be right? maybe? xwhistlex

mcveyrl
August 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I'll do ours and hope to be realistic:

@ Maryland - Loss
VMI - Win
@ Liberty - Win
@ Hofstra - Win
Richmond - Win (I put this only because I think we'll win one of these next two games and this is the one I picked)
Villanova - Loss
@ W&M - Win (I also think that we'll go 1-1 in these two games)
@ Delaware - Loss
Maine - Win
@ UMass - Win
Towson - Win

I'm pretty stuck on 8-3 when I look at the schedule. Which doesn't leave much margin for error as far as playoffs are concerned. I could see us going 1 and 1 in that Maine/UMass stretch too.

rjacks21
August 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
SDSU

9/12 - Georgia Southern - W
9/19 – Indiana State - W
9/26 @ Illinois State. – W
10/3 - @ Cal Poly – L
10/10 @ Mo St – W
10/17 - NDSU – W
10/24 – UNI – L
10/31 - @Youngstown St. - W
11/7 - SIU - W
11/14 - @ Minnesota - L
11/21 - @Western Illinois – W

8-3 Overall (7-1 MVFC)

phoenixphanatic21
August 13th, 2009, 06:29 PM
That was a strange game.

One of the craziest games I have ever seen. Glad to have been in the stands for it. Just wish it would've ended differently.

ASU_MBA
August 13th, 2009, 08:06 PM
App loses two regular season games...one to ECU and the other to either Elon or Ga. Southern and gets at least a share of the SoCon title...