PDA

View Full Version : Bigskytv.org update

mtgrizfan4life
August 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Bigskytv.org will be playing all the football games over the internet free of charge. I am happy with that decision, there has been a lot of growing pains with the service. I will be watching every game that it works for again this year. xthumbsupx

jonmac
August 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
That's an awesome service. I watched, at least parts, of a few games last year. Wish the SoCon would do something like that.

TexasTerror
August 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Bigskytv.org will be playing all the football games over the internet free of charge. I am happy with that decision, there has been a lot of growing pains with the service. I will be watching every game that it works for again this year. xthumbsupx

The Southland Conference is in with SLC Now on the southland.org web site. This will only be the games that are on SLC TV - as the league wants to put its best foot forward for free.

Several schools do charge for their online video product.

mtgrizfan4life
August 11th, 2009, 07:15 PM
I wish I could watch all the sports I want to watch either through the internet or satellite tv without having to pay an arm and leg for the games. I wish this could be done for around $40 to $50 per month. Unfortunately, with the money in athletics, college and pro, that is not reality.

GOKATS
August 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM

Just a slight clarification- Big Sky TV hasn't released their schedule yet, but typically they only stream games where Big Sky teams are the host, which would cover conference games, but not OOC games unless they're at a Big Sky school. Also I can't remember how it worked out last year, but there may be issues with games covered by Altitude TV.

ncbears
August 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Good news!

I Bleed Purple
August 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Very good news. I'll be able to watch Weber get a win in Missoula

*waits for the firestorm :D

mtgrizfan4life
August 12th, 2009, 12:10 AM
It is the playoff wins that count more. :)

Screamin_Eagle174
August 12th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Good news to hear, as I might not be in Cheney come the start of the season.

bpcats
August 12th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Each school is responsible for the quality of the broadcast. I know the MSU's needed some work. NAU did a really good job.

Uncle Buck
August 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Very cool, i'll check it out as well.

catbob
August 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Each school is responsible for the quality of the broadcast. I know the MSU's needed some work. NAU did a really good job.

I think having each school responsible is a cheap way of avoiding liability by the part of BigSkyTv. They should have better quality control practices in place to ensure that each school is producing a high quality product. It benefits Bigskytv, especially if they start charging again (OP said it was free again but I can't find anything on the site that says this) to have each school operating at a quality level. I would pay for an entire conference football package, but if some schools can't get their crap together (MSU is included in this category), I won't pay a dime.

BSTV really needs to help these schools understand and utilize their product better, and ensure there is quality across the board. They have not done so, and in fact did such a horrible job in the first year they had no choice but to make the service free in year 2.

mtgrizfan4life
August 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Catbob, regarding the issue you mentioned. Jon Kasper posted at egriz, there will be a new company handling BSTV this year. He did not get into further details. I expect more news to follow this month. If it is good this year, expect to pay next year or even for basketball this year. I am willing to pay as long as it works, and they have quality customer service folks in place.

catbob
August 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Agreed. I am willing to pay, and I don't expect HDTV quality broadcasts, but I wouldn't pay for last years quality.

JALMOND
August 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Just a slight clarification- Big Sky TV hasn't released their schedule yet, but typically they only stream games where Big Sky teams are the host, which would cover conference games, but not OOC games unless they're at a Big Sky school. Also I can't remember how it worked out last year, but there may be issues with games covered by Altitude TV.

It seems there were issues with those games covered by Comcast last year in both the Portland and Sacramento markets as well.