PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Forecast - Chattanooga

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
The Good - Almost all positions other than DL are intact. Coaching will be better

The Bad - Doesn't have the talent to match most SoCon teams...first year with new coach and new system. Will Huesman's NFL-like philosophy really pull Chatty out of the SoCon cellar?

The Verdict - Well, for now things seem to be looking up for Chatty. They have record numbers of season ticket sales and record attendance at the Spring game. But will having another train-wreck season kill that momentum? Having a winless season could certainly do that, and that might not be out of the question. Call me skeptical of Huesman being the one to turn things around at UTC with a Richmond-like system.

OOC game predictions

Glenville State - UTC has already recently lost a DII game to Carson-Newman in 2007. Could they do it again? Glenville State is a pretty good (but not great) DII team whose only DI game last year was a 17-point loss to Liberty. I think UTC will squeak by them 28-24.

Presbyterian - The Mocs will be overpowered. PC wins 20-10.

Alabama - won't be as ugly as the game with Oklahoma last year, but will still be ugly. Bama wins 48-10.

appfan2008
August 11th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I went one... I think they win their D2 game and that is it... could be another ugly year for the mocs

phoenixphanatic21
August 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
A 7 win season?? Now there's a bold prediction.

PhoenixSupreme
August 11th, 2009, 06:08 PM
3 Wins (including the D-II matchup)...that's about it.

Mntneer
August 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
For those of us not in the know, what kind of system is being instituted at UTC? I for one wish them the best. UTC and WCU have been at the bottom for too long; it's not good for the conference.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
For those of us not in the know, what kind of system is being instituted at UTC? I for one wish them the best. UTC and WCU have been at the bottom for too long; it's not good for the conference.

A septic system?

And the folks at Western are really jealous!

( sorry - this was way too easy xlolx )

UTC has a new head coach - the former defensive coordinator at Richmond. They've got 60-plus Fr/Sophs on their roster so they will be very young.

Things are lookin' up at Western. I hope they win 'em all ... except the 'Jug' one.

DX Man
August 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I say they win the D-II game and knock off a lower tier SoCon team.xpeacex

chattanoogamocs
August 12th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I picked 3 wins. If the Mocs could win 3 or 4 and be competitive in others, I would be satisfied for year one with Huesman.

Heck, we did get one thing that no one else got in the SoCon this year...a single donor donation of $500,000 (from one of Huesman's old UC teammates).

I hope Russ can turn things around...he certainly has the most support (fans, alums, schools, etc, etc) I have seen since the 70's. Tickets sales are up dramatically and so are donations.

There is some good talent at WR, RB...the back field on defense is pretty solid, kicking game is good. The big questions are...will UTK transfer BJ Coleman pan out like everyone is expecting and will the O and D lines be able to hold.

Mantra for the defense this year is "nothin' deep and nothin' cheap". Not sure what the mantra for offense is, but I would go with "don't turn the damn ball over". :)

OL FU
August 12th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I picked 3 wins. If the Mocs could win 3 or 4 and be competitive in others, I would be satisfied for year one with Huesman.

Heck, we did get one thing that no one else got in the SoCon this year...a single donor donation of $500,000 (from one of Huesman's old UC teammates).

I hope Russ can turn things around...he certainly has the most support (fans, alums, schools, etc, etc) I have seen since the 70's. Tickets sales are up dramatically and so are donations.

There is some good talent at WR, RB...the back field on defense is pretty solid, kicking game is good. The big questions are...will UTK transfer BJ Coleman pan out like everyone is expecting and will the O and D lines be able to hold.

Mantra for the defense this year is "nothin' deep and nothin' cheap". Not sure what the mantra for offense is, but I would go with "don't turn the damn ball over". :)

Here's to a return of the Old Chattanooga footballxthumbsupx

I have long memory. It does go back to the late 70s early 80s'xthumbsupx

WCU LawCat
August 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
2. D-II and PC.

chattanoogamocs
August 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Coleman is picked as Mocs starter

B.J. Coleman is the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's starting quarterback, coach Russ Huesman told the Times Free Press on Wednesday night.

"He's the guy we think we need there to win football games," Huesman said of Coleman, the former McCallie standout and University of Tennessee transfer who had been competing with returning starter Jare Gault for the job.

While many Mocs fans assumed the job was the 6-foot-5, 210-pound redshirt sophomore's ever since he signed with UTC in May, Huesman said he and offensive coordinator Marcus Satterfield made the decision Wednesday afternoon.

"Both guys have done a nice job, and we just felt it was time to give the No. 1 guy the most reps," Huesman said. "We just like everything that B.J.'s done."

Coleman, who might have the last flat-top in college football, is the son of former Mocs lineman Bryon Coleman (1977-80), a teammate of Huesman's. A two-time Division II AAA Mr. Football award winner at McCallie, Coleman was a four-star recruit who spent two years in Knoxville.

FULL ARTICLE (and video):
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/aug/12/coleman-is-pick-as-mocs-starter/

drpnut
August 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
If Chatty has the right guy in as coach and he is willing and able to stay for at least 10 years I believe Chatty will be back.

I compare my beloved Woffy T-Dogs. I was part of the program in from 83-87, and during this period we stunk... bad. We lost to Davidson for homecoming, that is how bad it was when Coach Ayers arrrived on the scene.

Coach told the admin. that he was in for the long haul and we went from NAIA to DII, then to I-AA. We were a strong DII school and from 2000 until now we have been pretty stable and good.

So I have hopes that Chatty has the right guy and that all parties will exercise a little patience. I feel in 2-3 years Chatty will be consitently in the 6 win range, which is a huge improvement.

Holla

catamount man
August 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Chatty scares me. I will refrain from picking.

Eaglegus2
August 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I would like to see the Mocs become competitive again. I am tired of them beating Georgia Southern.

I picked 4 wins. :D

chattanoogamocs
August 13th, 2009, 07:59 PM
If Chatty has the right guy in as coach and he is willing and able to stay for at least 10 years I believe Chatty will be back.

I compare my beloved Woffy T-Dogs. I was part of the program in from 83-87, and during this period we stunk... bad. We lost to Davidson for homecoming, that is how bad it was when Coach Ayers arrrived on the scene.

Coach told the admin. that he was in for the long haul and we went from NAIA to DII, then to I-AA. We were a strong DII school and from 2000 until now we have been pretty stable and good.

So I have hopes that Chatty has the right guy and that all parties will exercise a little patience. I feel in 2-3 years Chatty will be consitently in the 6 win range, which is a huge improvement.

Holla

I hope Huesman can be the one to do it...he has publicly stated on a number of occasions that if Chattanooga will keep him, it would be his first and last head coaching assignment.

Being an alum from a time when Chattanooga was very good...this is actually his dream job (he applied for it the last two times the job was open).

He loves Chattanooga and Chattanooga loves him...now he just has to win.

UTCCS
September 28th, 2009, 04:13 PM
bump....discuss

DSUrocks07
September 28th, 2009, 04:15 PM
bump....discuss

wheres all these Mocs fans coming from??? xlolx

FTR...NSU had a breakout year in 2007 as well

chattanoogamocs
September 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
wheres all these Mocs fans coming from??? xlolx

I don't know...I've been here since 2003. ;)

BTW...over 60% of the people that voted on this poll are now wrong (and it is only the 4th game of the season). :)

utcfan
September 28th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hanging our heads in shame? I have surfed here for awhile before I registered.

Except for the year UTC went 6-5 (Then Simpson left for UT Martin) what have we had to talk about in the last 6 years?

Right now the Mocs are well coached, and are playing with confidence and discipline--something they haven't done in awhile.

3-1 start, not bad. I do not know how many more we will win this year, but it sure is nice to be a Moc football fan right now.

Anyone changing their prediction?

The Cats
September 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Anyone changing their prediction?

Since UTC has already exceeded my prediction, I'll just say congrats...... xthumbsupx

longtimemocfan
September 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
A 7 win season?? Now there's a bold prediction.

Still think it's bold ?? 5 or 6 is a real possibility for sure.

terrierbob
September 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Congrats, Mocs. Whipped our tails.

longtimemocfan
September 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Thank you sir. You have a classy bunch of young men that play for your team. The Wofford players stayed on the field as the band played the UTC alma mater. That's a program despite what happened on the field you can be proud of. xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Since UTC has already exceeded my prediction, I'll just say congrats...... xthumbsupx

Dittoxthumbsupx

utcfan
September 30th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I was thinking 3 to 4. Now I thinking 4 to 6.

chattanoogamocs
September 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I was thinking 3 to 4. Now I thinking 4 to 6.

If they can win their two home games and pick up one of their five road games...you got yourself a winning season.

I can't say too much myself...I picked 4...and I thought that was relatively optimistic. :)

CID1990
September 30th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm pulling for Chatty with the exception of one home game.