PDA

View Full Version : NC Game Set for Chattanooga through 2007

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2005, 12:55 AM
from the front page of the Friday Chattanooga Times-Free Press...

I-AA game to stay in city through ’07

By Brad Shepard Staff Writer

The NCAA Division I-AA football championship has a home in Chattanooga at least through 2007. NCAA officials said Thursday a two-year extension with the possibility of a third has been reached to keep the game at Max Finley Stadium.
Dennis Poppe, the NCAA’s managing director for football and baseball, said the recent installation of artificial turf at Finley and increased local interest led to the decision.
"We’ve got a good history there, and we’ve continued to see an improvement in attendance," Mr. Poppe said.
Last year’s nationally televised game embarrassed local officials when the newly sodded surface was shredded during play. Artificial turf has since been installed E-mail Brad Shepard at [email protected]

December 9th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Any official link?

chattanoogamocs
December 9th, 2005, 01:05 AM
...and more in depth article on the front of the sports section...

Local ticket sales biggest challenge for I-AA game
By Brad Shepard Staff Writer

Increased local interest helped Chattanooga get a contract extension to continue to host the Division I-AA football national championship game.
That momentum will need to carry into the next two years as well.
Though the financial specifics of the agreement between Chattanooga and the NCAA are virtually unchanged, there is at least one major difference.
At least 10,500 tickets must be sold locally for the 2006 championship game, and that number rises to 11,000 in 2007, according to the contract. Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee president Merrill Eckstein said the most tickets sold locally was "around 9,200" last year.
"I think we’ll be up again this year," Eckstein said. "I don’t know if we’ll reach 10,000, but we’ll be close.
"The biggest challenge for us (with the new contract) will be reaching the local ticket sales level." Failure to meet the contract’s local ticket requirements will result in the sports committee having to pay a penalty to the NCAA...........

(the full article has been reprinted with permission on Mocfans and can be accessed here....http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2658.topic )

ButlerGSU
December 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM
I hope it says in Nooga forever, only a two hour drive for me ;-)

Cincy App
December 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
I hope it says in Nooga forever, only a two hour drive for me ;-)

Less than 2 hours for me also! Hope it stays in Chatt for a long time! Maybe just move the game to Saturday afternoon...