PDA

View Full Version : App State Turns Down Michigan QB Transfer

ASU
August 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Appalachian State turned down the Michigan QB that wanted to transfer to Boone, N.C. I believe they have turned down now three or four BCS players at least this year that wanted to transfer there.

ESPN's Joe Schad reported Friday that Feagin had planned to transfer to Appalachian State and could play for the FCS school this season if he's cleared academically. However, an Appalachian State source told Schad that Feagin will not be admitted at the school due to academic concerns and the details of the Free Press' report of Feagin's alleged drug activity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4388152

GannonFan
August 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Not shocking - it's real hard for a school to take in a guy who's got a criminal record, and a drug dealing record to boot, somewhere else. Of course everyone deserves a second chance, just doesn't mean your school needs to be the one to give it to him. xthumbsupx

asknoquarter21
August 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Just means we will be playing him when he goes to GSU

JMU Newbill
August 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
JMU will take him if he is willing to switch positions... ha ha.

SOCAL
August 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Appalachian State turned down the Michigan QB that wanted to transfer to Boone, N.C. I believe they have turned down now three or four BCS players at least this year that wanted to transfer there.

ESPN's Joe Schad reported Friday that Feagin had planned to transfer to Appalachian State and could play for the FCS school this season if he's cleared academically. However, an Appalachian State source told Schad that Feagin will not be admitted at the school due to academic concerns and the details of the Free Press' report of Feagin's alleged drug activity.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4388152

I applaud App State for their decision---hopefully it sends a message that FCS football is not a dumping ground for misfits, thugs and criminals

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I applaud App State for their decision---hopefully it sends a message that FCS football is not a dumping ground for misfits, thugs and criminals

I agree with that.

Bojangles
August 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Agreed, good to see App. turn him down.

blackcaesar3k5
August 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
the young man should consider comming to eiither FAMU or Tuskegee...

89Eagle
August 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM

He wouldn't see the playing field at GSU and I hear what you are saying but Hatcher wouldn't give this kid the time of day.

blueballs
August 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
In further developments in the Feagins/Appalachian State transfer story sources in and around Boone are concerned that Feagins would think 'The Rock' was something to smoke and sell, not a place to play football.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM

If you are making an allusion to Antonino Henton, he was arrested for a victimless crime and was not kicked off the team. He quit because he was looking at being a third or possibly fourth string QB. If he joined our team he'd be the second string QB at the very best, anyways.

coover
August 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I applaud App State for doing the right thing.

blukeys
August 10th, 2009, 10:48 PM
It appears to me that I am one of the few ones who actually read the articles posted? (I can tell gannonfan did)
I realize that there are many ASU posters who are proud enough to shout to the rooftops any time one of their football players hits the toilet when they pee, but who in their right mind wants to advertise that they had even considered this loser.

For the record, Feagin had already been switched from QB to slot receiver. He was no longer going to be a Michigan QB. Not that it would have mattered. His record at Michigan was "He appeared in four games as a reserve quarterback in 2008 and had 11 rushes for 52 yards"
I guess we were going to see the next Armanti Edwards. xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx xrolleyesx

While his talents may seem underscored it is his character issues that should send a red flag.
Feagin by his own admission had been dealing drugs "Feagin also told police that he used to sell drugs in Florida and had been arrested for battery and trespass but faced no repercussions."

In addition Feagin had been involved in an ongoing cocaine deal in which he had already been paid $590. Feagin had already been kicked off the Michigan team on July 23rd. He was never going to play for Michigan again.

For this everyone is supposed to give ASU a big pat on the back? I'm sorry FBS football players inquire about transferring all the time. Successful FCS programs get 2 to 3 inquiries per day.

Reality check. This was a demoted QB whose only way onto the field was by switching positions. He was an admitted drug dealer. He had been kicked off Michigan's team. According to Feagin's drug dealing buddy " Burke told police it was "common knowledge" that Feagin sold marijuana. " For turning down this really class act all of the the ASU fans are puffing out their chests in pride.

Well I guess this is probably progress. Next step in the ASU evolutionary scale, not hitting on their sisters before they are 12. xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

The Cats
August 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM
It appears to me that I am one of the few ones who actually read the articles posted? (I can tell gannonfan did)
I realize that there are many ASU posters who are proud enough to shout to the rooftops any time one of their football players hits the toilet when they pee, but who in their right mind wants to advertise that they had even considered this loser.

For the record, Feagin had already been switched from QB to slot receiver. He was no longer going to be a Michigan QB. Not that it would have mattered. His record at Michigan was "He appeared in four games as a reserve quarterback in 2008 and had 11 rushes for 52 yards"
I guess we were going to see the next Armanti Edwards. xrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesxxrolleyesx xrolleyesx

While his talents may seem underscored it is his character issues that should send a red flag.
Feagin by his own admission had been dealing drugs "Feagin also told police that he used to sell drugs in Florida and had been arrested for battery and trespass but faced no repercussions."

In addition Feagin had been involved in an ongoing cocaine deal in which he had already been paid $590. Feagin had already been kicked off the Michigan team on July 23rd. He was never going to play for Michigan again.

For this everyone is supposed to give ASU a big pat on the back? I'm sorry FBS football players inquire about transferring all the time. Successful FCS programs get 2 to 3 inquiries per day.

Reality check. This was a demoted QB whose only way onto the field was by switching positions. He was an admitted drug dealer. He had been kicked off Michigan's team. According to Feagin's drug dealing buddy " Burke told police it was "common knowledge" that Feagin sold marijuana. " For turning down this really class act all of the the ASU fans are puffing out their chests in pride.

Well I guess this is probably progress. Next step in the ASU evolutionary scale, not hitting on their sisters before they are 12. xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

WOW, now tell us what you really think of those "black and yellow" mountaineers?

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics11/200/BE/BEDUNHBFTBKXBIT.20090803194428.jpg

Mntneer
August 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I don't think anyone is expecting a pat on the back, but the way this was initially reported it sounded like it was a done deal. We just want to make sure it's clear that any talk of this transfer actually happening was from this kid, not ASU. Most App fans were quick to point out that if any of these rumors were true that the university wouldn't give him the time of day. They were, and it didn't.

Apps03
August 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Apparently JMU hasn't quite reached that level on the evolutionary scale. And this from the school that will accept anybody not in high school.xeyebrowx

appfan2008
August 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
glad to see us turn this kid down... i get sick and tired of these misfits from fbs coming down here and thinking they can go anywhere and play right away... we are stacked at that position for a long time to come

biggie
August 11th, 2009, 08:26 AM

"For the record" it was NEVER reported that App was considering letting this player in. He had reported to people that he wanted to transfer to App, then App officials said he would not be let in. End of story.

GoDukes86
August 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Apparently JMU hasn't quite reached that level on the evolutionary scale. And this from the school that will accept anybody not in high school.xeyebrowx

Your response to a post that criticizes your school is to take a jab at a different school? Have you finished middle school yet?

Appy doesn't accept students whose grades from HS qualifies them after they've graduated? Interesting. xthumbsupx xeyebrowx

Apps03
August 11th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Your response to a post that criticizes your school is to take a jab at a different school? Have you finished middle school yet?

Appy doesn't accept students whose grades from HS qualifies them after they've graduated? Interesting. xthumbsupx xeyebrowx

Your response to a post that criticizes your school is to take a jab at me?

It was an uncalled for shot against the people of our community. You just took a shot at your school and turned it around to a personal shot, whats the difference. I can twist words all day too if you'd like. You knew exactly what I meant.

Back on topic, it sucks for this kid and I hope he gets it all figured out. I'm just glad its not at ASU. Its just not a risk we need to take, maybe it is for other schools.

Jaguar79
August 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
the young man should consider comming to eiither FAMU or Tuskegee...

I have to ask .... why would you want someone who has those issues to come to Tuskegee, FAMU, or any other HBCU?

Just like App State, we don't need that type of problem around our programs ....

Skjellyfetti
August 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
It appears to me that I am one of the few ones who actually read the articles posted?

who in their right mind wants to advertise that they had even considered this loser.

Since you say you read the articles so carefully... you want to show me the one that says Appalachian ever wanted the guy?

This is the blurb from the ESPN article that started all of this:

Two people familiar with former Michigan quarterback Justin Feagin said Feagin is planning to transfer to Appalachian State and would be able to play this season, pending determination of academic eligibility.

All it said is that FEAGIN planned to transfer to App according to sources connected to MICHIGAN.

Feagin was never given the time of day by Appalachian.

AppAlum2003
August 11th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Since you say you read the articles so carefully... you want to show me the one that says Appalachian ever wanted the guy?

This is the blurb from the ESPN article that started all of this:

All it said is that FEAGIN planned to transfer to App according to sources connected to MICHIGAN.

Feagin was never given the time of day by Appalachian.

Exactly... it sounds like Feagin didn't do any research whatsoever and wanted to put out a big name to make it press-worthy. "Oh yeah, App State... I could go there."

Saint3333
August 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Sorry we can't all be transfer U.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 11th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I have to ask .... why would you want someone who has those issues to come to Tuskegee, FAMU, or any other HBCU?

Just like App State, we don't need that type of problem around our programs ....

I don't think he was taking a shot.

(Most likely) poor kid from Florida goes off to big northern school (with a whole-lotta well-off white folks). Probably never had a positive role model in his life - or someone to give him the 'what-for'.

I would think Coach Taylor would be that man - as would Rod Broadway (especially when he is coaching at Appalachian - LOL).

I'm glad Appalachian turned him down but not because I don't think he deserves another chance. The NCAA needs to get ahead of 3 issues like this: 1) the instant eligibility of 'drop-downs'; 2) college athletes as 'meat on the hoof' subsisting on 'laundry money' (increased stipends, anyone?); and 3) young guys that are clearly out of their element (is that a nice way to put that?).

blukeys
August 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
"For the record" it was NEVER reported that App was considering letting this player in. He had reported to people that he wanted to transfer to App, then App officials said he would not be let in. End of story.

The article posted was the one posted at the very beginning of this thread. Here is the quote from the article posted on the very first post on this thread.

"ESPN's Joe Schad reported Friday that Feagin had planned to transfer to Appalachian State and could play for the FCS school this season if he's cleared academically. However, an Appalachian State source told Schad that Feagin will not be admitted at the school due to academic concerns and the details of the Free Press' report of Feagin's alleged drug activity."

Now why did ASU look at Feagin's academics if they weren't considering the guy? If it was such a no brainer tell, him no deal and send him packing to the Michigan penitentiary where he will be spending his college years.
There is no need to look at his academics.

There is also no need to amplify the story as the first poster did. My criticism has not been of ASU. In the ARTICLE posted originally on this thread says ASU simply turned down a transfer. This happens everyday and warrants no coverage.

My criticism is of the App fans who pat themselves on the back for telling this guy no deal. Assuming App is like UD, about 2 or 3 players per day inquire about a transfer. There are probably better football players and certainly better citizens in the pool of players that includes Feagin and they were also turned down. Why not post on all of them so ASU fans will have more reason to puff their chests out?

Skellifelli, my original post had a typo. Articles should have been article.

AppIAA
August 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Now why did ASU look at Feagin's academics if they weren't considering the guy? If it was such a no brainer tell, him no deal and send him packing to the Michigan penitentiary where he will be spending his college years.
There is no need to look at his academics.

The reasoning behind his release from Michigan had not been released yet.. So, following protocol, they looked at his academic record first.. so there is a need to look at his academics..

Had the reason he was released something as simple as not getting along with Rich Rod, and he had the academic record to back up his athletic ability, then sure they might have accepted him.

But with looking into his academic record as well as the release on the reasoning behind his dismissal, app denied..

biggie
August 11th, 2009, 04:09 PM
My criticism is of the App fans who pat themselves on the back for telling this guy no deal. Assuming App is like UD, about 2 or 3 players per day inquire about a transfer. There are probably better football players and certainly better citizens in the pool of players that includes Feagin and they were also turned down. Why not post on all of them so ASU fans will have more reason to puff their chests out?
While I wouldn't have made a new thread (as I posted about it in the thread that it was first mentioned).

I'm sure no other team's fans, including yours, would have mentioned this if it happened at their school. /awholehellofalotofsarcasm

hapapp
August 11th, 2009, 09:47 PM
According the Rivals site, ASU had already rejected him based on his academics before the information about his release became public.