PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Football... Is Coming

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/073109aab.html

FOREST GROVE, Ore. - Pacific University took the first step in the construction of its new football program Friday, announcing the hiring of Keith Buckley as the Boxers' head coach in a press conference at the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Buckley arrives at Pacific after four seasons as part of the staff at UC Davis, including the last two years as the assistant head coach. The hiring comes two months after Pacific's Board of Trustees voted in favor of addition of the program to the University's current offering of 20 intercollegiate athletics programs. The Boxers are scheduled to take the field for a full varsity schedule in the fall of 2010.

"This is a coach's dream," Buckley said of the opportunity. "There are few situations where you have the chance to build a program from the ground up, develop young talent and have a chance to put Pacific on the football map. I am excited for this opportunity, not only for me professionally but for my family."

Great West, meet your 6th team.

I can't believe this hasn't been reported yet.

bostonspider
August 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Wrong Pacific University.. This is the D-III one in Oregon

With the addition of football, Pacific University will offer 21 intercollegiate sports at the NCAA Division III level. The team will play as part of the Northwest Conference, which has yielded two NCAA Division III national football champions within its first 10 years of membership. Other football-playing members of the conference include Lewis & Clark College, Linfield College, Menlo College, Pacific Lutheran University, the University of Puget Sound, Whitworth University and Willamette University

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
21 D-III sports, though. Could they jump up?

Franks Tanks
August 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/073109aab.html

Great West, meet your 6th team.

I can't believe this hasn't been reported yet.

This isnt former D-I member University of the Pacific as noted. Former home of Pop Warner, its a shame they dont have FB

bandit
August 6th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Hopefully UOP will restart football sometime in the future. It's a shame they had to shut down the program.

Model Citizen
August 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Speaking of UOP, former Tigers coach Larry Siemering recently died at age 98. He was the oldest former NFL player, having played center for the Boston Redskins in the 1930s.

JALMOND
August 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I used to live in the shadows of Pacific University, before I got married. Pacific University is in Forest Grove, Oregon, about 30 miles due west of Portland. The University of the Pacific is in Stockton, CA. Not much to report as they will be DIII for a long time, playing mainly other DIII's in Portland and Seattle areas. A move to DI is not even being discussed.

JALMOND
August 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
21 D-III sports, though. Could they jump up?

Highly unlikely. While they are successful at softball, lacrosse and soccer, they play in a pretty localized conference, with many of the schools located in and around Portland. The facilities are very marginal, even to DIII standards and they are feeling the pinch of the economy as well, even being a private school. They would have to bring in a ton of money and upgrade all their facilities to even think of a move to DI (or even DII). They enjoy a rival against Linfield and they are satisfied of starting football and one day, being competitive with Linfield on the gridiron.

GeauxColonels
August 6th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I was wondering, I think the DI Pacific teams are the "Tigers".