PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Forecast - Furman

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
The Good - Furman's talented young offensive skill position players should now be acclimated into their system. Top-to-bottom, Furman may have the best WR unit in the SoCon. Chris Forcier could really open up possibilities on offense if he becomes the starter. Games at home with Elon, App. State, Samford, and Wofford.

The Bad - 7 starters are gone from the defense, including most of the top players.

The Verdict - Furman's playoff chances are better than you think. At 7-4 with an FBS win they will likely get in. The offense will improve even if Forcier doesn't work out, but if he does start right away, watch out. Bobby Lamb's offenses are better when he has a mobile QB. It will all come down to how well the defense is rebuilt.

OOC predictions

Presbyterian - Furman wins 27-6.

Missouri - With no Chase Daniels, and considering how weak the Big XII North is, I think is another good chance for the SoCon to get a BCS win. Furman wins 28-21.

Auburn - Sorry, but you won't get two big upsets in a single season. Auburn will definitely struggle this season but they will be able to take Furman. Auburn wins 24-16.

elcid83
August 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Replacing Thomas Slaughter and Joel Bell on the O line is going to be key to their offense's success. If they've got someone ready to step up they should do well.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

OL FU
August 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Before the transfers I said 6-5 leaning toward 5-6. AFter the transfers I say 6-5 leaning toward 7-4. Interesting on your pick over Missouri, if they beat an FBS and end up 7-4 that means 3FCS losses. Certainly, beating a major FBS would be a good thing, but three FCS losses means we could be fourth in the conference. If that is the case, 7-4 probably won't get us in. 7-4 record losing to both FBS teams and we have a good shot.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 5th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Replacing Thomas Slaughter and Joel Bell on the O line is going to be key to their offense's success. If they've got someone ready to step up they should do well.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

The OL is pretty much a position where Furman reloads.

Before the transfers I said 6-5 leaning toward 5-6. AFter the transfers I say 6-5 leaning toward 7-4. Interesting on your pick over Missouri, if they beat an FBS and end up 7-4 that means 3FCS losses. Certainly, beating a major FBS would be a good thing, but three FCS losses means we could be fourth in the conference. If that is the case, 7-4 probably won't get us in. 7-4 record losing to both FBS teams and we have a good shot.

UNH had an FBS win and 4 conference losses in 2007 and got in. But then again, I guess it might make a difference that we don't have a split conference xlolx.

smallcollegefbfan
August 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

That will definitely be key but we all know the rep Furman has of just reloading on their OL. I will almost guarantee everyone there will be at least one or two on the OL named all-socon this year, and we might not even know their names yet. They have an uncanny ability to crank out some of the best OL in the league every year!

OL FU
August 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
The OL is pretty much a position where Furman reloads.

UNH had an FBS win and 4 conference losses in 2007 and got in. But then again, I guess it might make a difference that we don't have a split conference xlolx.

xlolx I think there is a chance and a win against Auburn or Missouri would probably carry more weight than a win against Marshall (that is who UNH beat that year right), but I just don't see 4 teams from the SoCon unless it is a very very strange year.

Defense is key. We seemed to get it together last year during most games after a few years of not so hot D, but we do lose a lot of key players. However, if the scheme is good and it appears it is we may also be in the reloading position there. We are just reloading 7 players instead of a couple Offensive lineman.

fuEMO
August 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
That will definitely be key but we all know the rep Furman has of just reloading on their OL. I will almost guarantee everyone there will be at least one or two on the OL named all-socon this year, and we might not even know their names yet. They have an uncanny ability to crank out some of the best OL in the league every year!

Furman's starting offensive line breakdowns this way:

Tyler Haynes (6-2, 268 SR) Guard 24 career starts
Heath Cockburn (6-1, 286 SR) Guard 20 career starts
Daniel Spisak (6-1, 273 SO) Center First year starter – Shrine Bowler - Strong, physical player
Ryan Lee (6-4, 290 SO) First year starter – played as a true freshman finished the 08 season with an 85.3 percent grade on 95 snaps at tackle. IMO he is the next Furman All-SoCon All-American candidate.
Antonio Frazier (6-4, 280 JR) First year starter – has the skill to be very good.

jmufan999
August 5th, 2009, 01:25 PM
i said 6-5 but it was a guess with no logical reason behind it. just seemed like a good number.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Furman always seems to have a lot of talent.. but never really seems to pull it together. I can't place my finger on it, but it seems like they are always a good team, but never a great team. I feel like they lack an offensive identity, or that explosive element that makes teams have a special something.

With App State you know they can score quickly, wofford is going to run the ball all over, Elon is going to sling the pig skin all over the field... furman... is just going to come out wearing purple, and move the ball well... but its just blah...

maybe its just me. :)

OL FU
August 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Furman always seems to have a lot of talent.. but never really seems to pull it together. I can't place my finger on it, but it seems like they are always a good team, but never a great team. I feel like they lack an offensive identity, or that explosive element that makes teams have a special something.

With App State you know they can score quickly, wofford is going to run the ball all over, Elon is going to sling the pig skin all over the field... furman... is just going to come out wearing purple, and move the ball well... but its just blah...

maybe its just me. :)

There is something to be said for that but I really think that was more of the case last year than any other. Prior to Martin, we had that identity in my opinoin. We were a run first option oriented ( but not totally option) offensive team. Had been that way for the most part of 25+ years, Martin kinda changed the game to more passing (although we still ran the ball more with Martin than we did with Sorrells.) During Gray's years the problem was not offense. We scored a lot in 06 and 07. the problem was defense, we could stop no one. Last year we the defense improved (although not to perfection but certainly enough to win) but the offense didn't look like any Furman offense I have seen over a long period of time. So I would agree, but I think the agreement starts with last year. One of the reason's I am still at a 6-5 prediction. The addition of a running QB makes my heart beat a little faster, I am just in the wait and see mode and how we use him and Sorrells together and if the offensive play calling moves beyond three yard slants or pass down the scrimmage to the sidelines. I think it will.

Seven Would Be Nice
August 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM
There is something to be said for that but I really think that was more of the case last year than any other. Prior to Martin, we had that identity in my opinoin. We were a run first option oriented ( but not totally option) offensive team. Had been that way for the most part of 25+ years, Martin kinda changed the game to more passing (although we still ran the ball more with Martin than we did with Sorrells.) During Gray's years the problem was not offense. We scored a lot in 06 and 07. the problem was defense, we could stop no one. Last year we the defense improved (although not to perfection but certainly enough to win) but the offense didn't look like any Furman offense I have seen over a long period of time. So I would agree, but I think the agreement starts with last year. One of the reason's I am still at a 6-5 prediction. The addition of a running QB makes my heart beat a little faster, I am just in the wait and see mode and how we use him and Sorrells together and if the offensive play calling moves beyond three yard slants or pass down the scrimmage to the sidelines. I think it will.

Sometimes the addition of a mobile QB can screw with a system. Hatcher did a decent job with Foster, but mainly that was Foster just being Foster. You could tell that Hatch wasn't comfortable without a gun slinger taking the snaps. He seems a lot more confident in this years offense as it will return to the air raid attack he is used to running.

We'll soon see if the addition of the QB wheels will help your offense, or just get your OC out of his element and your offense trip over its own two feet all season.

OL FU
August 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Sometimes the addition of a mobile QB can screw with a system. Hatcher did a decent job with Foster, but mainly that was Foster just being Foster. You could tell that Hatch wasn't comfortable without a gun slinger taking the snaps. He seems a lot more confident in this years offense as it will return to the air raid attack he is used to running.

We'll soon see if the addition of the QB wheels will help your offense, or just get your OC out of his element and your offense trip over its own two feet all season.

We have historically had mobile QBs and we haven't changed head coaches or offensive coordinators in a while. Martin ran, actually ran the option some. It was not his primary play, but he could do it with some speed. Gray could run although injuries made him less effective. Our coach played under and coached under a run first offense for almost 30 years. We have never and our coaches have never been in the pass first mode. Last year was the first year we passed as often if not more than we ran. Last year's offense was not comparable to our fire power of the past. I think your previous statement has a lot of worth in regards to last year, but one of the reasons that statement is true is because we lost our mobility at QB.

fuEMO
August 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Good points OL FU… to go against "Seven Would Be Nice" points just a bit. Forcier is a better fit in what you could call is the Furman offense tradition. Going back to Sheridan days Furman QB's have always been able to run the option and Furman has blended power sweeps and timely passing effectively.

Sorrells is a great guy, has excellent skills but he is not going to pose fear with his feet. Forcier, and 09 recruit Hollingsworth better fit what I believe BL wanted to bring to the Furman offense. A multi-pkg offense that can run option, spread option, play action, power I, and some slot offense (rio lido). Furman has always had smart players that can handle switching game plans at a week's notice…

hippy@GSU
August 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I voted 3 or less because they are Fuhman.

OL FU
August 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Honesty is the best policy even if there is no reality in the policyxthumbsupx

hippy@GSU
August 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Honesty is the best policy even if there is no reality in the policyxthumbsupx

Hey, I just can't make myself give Fuhman a respectable record. It's not in my blood to think logically when it involves Fuhman. I have to channel my inner caveman and release a frenzy of hatred that targets all things purple. :D

OL FU
August 5th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hey, I just can't make myself give Fuhman a respectable record. It's not in my blood to think logically when it involves Fuhman. I have to channel my inner caveman and release a frenzy of hatred that targets all things purple. :D

It's all good, wait until the Discussion on GSU hits the board and pick you to beat the Tarholes and lose to everyone else:D

jmufan999
August 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM

any 7-4 FCS team that beats an FBS team, and is not from a weak FCS conference (define "weak" however you want)... is a lock to make the playoffs in most years (and most likely, if it's a weak FCS conference, they're not going to beat the FBS team anyway). the committee looks very highly on FBS wins. as well they should.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 5th, 2009, 05:32 PM

I don't know about you, but I would love to have the SoCon championship decided in Statesboro on November 14th. It would be cool to have two SoCon teams being overlooked in the preseason battle it out for the conference title.

Also, Furman is the best team we play at home and I don't want it to be the battle for fourth place.

blueballs
August 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Furman has some talent, though nothing like they had 1999-2005, but the team looked lost towards the end of last year and seemed predestined to defeat. In a lot of programs where the HC wasn't a legendary player and a FU lifer the seat would be real uncomfortable right now and this would be a make or break year as far as HC job security.

IMO Furman's success will depend on reversing that attitude/culture within the program and how they handle adversity because they sure didn't do a good job of it last year.

I'm guessing 6 wins but this is a hard team to peg.

Gringer1
August 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I'm guessing 6 wins but this is a hard team to peg.

I agree, but with the way the SoCon looks this year, every team is a toss up. Furman, GSU, Samford, Elon, Wofford, Citadel any of these teams can lose to the others. Even App, the front runner, is probably going to drop a game or two against one of them. It just seems like one of those kind of seasons.

appfan2008
August 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
i went 6-5

5-3 in conference... beat presby... lose to the div I fbs teams

hippy@GSU
August 6th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I don't know about you, but I would love to have the SoCon championship decided in Statesboro on November 14th. It would be cool to have two SoCon teams being overlooked in the preseason battle it out for the conference title.

Also, Furman is the best team we play at home and I don't want it to be the battle for fourth place.

That would be a wonderful scenario on Homecoming. I seriously cannot wait for that game.

OL FU
August 6th, 2009, 07:09 AM
any 7-4 FCS team that beats an FBS team, and is not from a weak FCS conference (define "weak" however you want)... is a lock to make the playoffs in most years (and most likely, if it's a weak FCS conference, they're not going to beat the FBS team anyway). the committee looks very highly on FBS wins. as well they should.

Not so sure, 5 teams from the CAA and 4 teams from the SoCon is one team too manyxlolx

LarryBoy
August 27th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I say 8-3 with one conference loss. The home schedule favors us greatly this time, save for that trip to Statesboro, so the loss is either GSU or ASU...but I think we can pull one of those out. I think it could be an exciting year in Greenville. Unfortunately what I think means very little, and another 6-5 is also very likely.

PaladinFan
August 27th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I am a firm believer that a mobile quarterback in the FCS is a great equalizer. Foster carried Georgia Southern for two years without much of a supporting cast and very little passing ability. Furman has a history in running the option and recently did so very well with Renaldo Gray.

The question for Furman will be the defense. They had their leader drafted into the NFL and lost a linebacker in Williams who seemed to have been starting for Furman for years. They are getting faster and taller on the defensive end, but there's still a lot of inexperience out there. They do have the luxury of returning the best pass rusher in the SoCon in Justin Brown and have Max Lerner, who I firmly believe will be top 10 in tackles, sacks, and interceptions at year's end.

I'm hoping for 8 wins. Furman has either started slow or finished slow the past two years, so I really would like to see us put together a good season start to finish. After watching us play stride for stride with App State in Boone last year, I really don't think there's any question the talent is there to win the conference. But, like everyone else, it's a toss up as to what will actually happen.

ASUG8
August 27th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I went 6-5, with the same caveat I gave in the GSU forecast thread that Furman is something of a wild card this year. They played ASU very well in Boone last year and it sounds like they've rebuilt well in the meantime. Throw in the Traveler's Rest home game and the ASU/Furman game is one to worry about. I'll just be glad to get the season started since I have no fingernails left to bite. xsmiley_wix

Death Dealer
August 27th, 2009, 03:53 PM

I've never heard anyone but you Stinky Creek folks pronounce it that way. What? Has all that inbreeding created a genetic speech defect?xrolleyesx

seantaylor
August 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
5-6. Furman is one of the slowest teams in the conference.

hippy@GSU
August 28th, 2009, 05:44 AM
I've never heard anyone but you Stinky Creek folks pronounce it that way. What? Has all that inbreeding created a genetic speech defect?xrolleyesx

I suppose you don't remember that your very own transfer QB, Chris "Fact" Forcier, murdered the English language in a press release by stating that he wanted "to be part of the 'Greatness of Fuhman University' academic's."

What a yokel.

Death Dealer
August 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
I suppose you don't remember that your very own transfer QB, Chris "Fact" Forcier, murdered the English language in a press release by stating that he wanted "to be part of the 'Greatness of Fuhman University' academic's."

What a yokel.

Oh!!!!xoopsxxlolxxlolxWhat a rube! I hope he plays ball better than he proofreads!!xrulesx