PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Patriot League Football Preseason Poll and Award Winners Announced

smallcollegefbfan
August 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Patriot League Preseason Poll Results
1. Holy Cross (7) 67
2. Colgate (6) 64
3. Lafayette 46
Lehigh (1) 46
5. Fordham 35
6. Bucknell 24
7. Georgetown 12

Patriot League Preseason Offensive Player of the Year: Dominic Randolph, QB, Holy Cross (Sr., 6’3, 223, Amelia, Ohio/St. Xavier)

Patriot League Preseason Defensive Player of the Year: Mark Leggiero, LB, Lafayette (Sr., 5’11, 220, Bohemia, N.Y./ Connetequot)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/patr/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/PreseasonPollandawards.pdf

DFW HOYA
August 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
12 last place votes. Ugh. That's the fewest votes Georgetown has ever received since joining the league in 2001, and that says a lot, or a little, depending on how you look at it.

OL FU
August 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Looks like the voting was unanimous on 6 and 7 and dang close to unanimous on 5th.

DFW HOYA
August 4th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Looks like the voting was unanimous on 6 and 7 and dang close to unanimous on 5th.

Votes appear to be on a 6-5-4-3-2-1 basis, so the fewest votes a team could receive is 12 (which was Georgetown, 12 x 1) , then Bucknell (12 x 2), but Fordham should have had no fewer than 36 (12 x 3).

OL FU
August 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Votes appear to be on a 6-5-4-3-2-1 basis, so the fewest votes a team could receive is 12 (which was Georgetown, 12 x 1) , then Bucknell (12 x 2), but Fordham should have had no fewer than 36 (12 x 3).

somebody refused to vote for them in protestxeyebrowx

LBPop
August 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
12 last place votes. Ugh. That's the fewest votes Georgetown has ever received since joining the league in 2001, and that says a lot, or a little, depending on how you look at it.

Please forgive me if I choose not to look. xrolleyesx;)

ngineer
August 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I am slightly surprised at how close Colgate is to HC in the voting, and then the gap to LU and LC. I will be very surprised if anyone goes undefeated in league play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I am slightly surprised at how close Colgate is to HC in the voting, and then the gap to LU and LC. I will be very surprised if anyone goes undefeated in league play.

I agree. I was kind of hoping Lehigh would be voted 5th. The more dissrespect the better IMO at this point. Who was that crazy SOB with the 1st place vote? Groeller? The general concensus for HC it seems is they have a one game season and that's against Colgate at Fitton. Everything else is a formality.

ngineer
August 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
HC will be praying for sunny days...Any serious rain puts their offense in jeopardy. Realistically, I see it as:
HC
CU
LU
LC
FU
BU
GU

And if any from #2-5 are able to shore up their respective weaknesses, it's anyone's championship. BU is sufficiently improved to steal a game or two from the top 5 as well.

Ken_Z
August 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
BU rated too low. votes are always too prejudiced by prior results. Bison will finish in the top 4. at least.

CSN Log
August 4th, 2009, 04:40 PM
08-04-2009 04:35 PM

2009 Patriot League Football Preseason Poll and Award Winners Announced

Bethlehem, Pa. - After finishing one game off the pace in each of the last three seasons, Holy Cross has been picked to capture the 2009 Patriot League Football Championship in a poll of the League’s head coaches and sports information directors, it was announced at Tuesday’s Football Media Day at Green Pond Country Club.

The Crusaders were picked first on half of the 14 ballots, and finished with 67points to earn the top spot. Defending champion Colgate was just behind with six first-place votes and 64 points. Archrivals Lafayette and Lehigh shared the third position in the poll, each garnering 46 points while the Mountain Hawks also took home the remaining first-place vote. Fordham (35), Bucknell (24) and Georgetown (12) round out the rankings.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/08/04/2009-patriot-league-football-preseason-p?blog=2#more5281)

crusader11
August 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM
BU rated too low. votes are always too prejudiced by prior results. Bison will finish in the top 4. at least.

Bucknell is rated exactly where they should be.

Ken_Z
August 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Bucknell is rated exactly where they should be.

we shall see, but perhaps you are one of the many blinded by your recent experience and unable to envision a different future :)

why do they keep mving threads over here to this sub forum. we miss out on a lot of discussion that would be generated by news stories. is there a solid rationale? i ould never have seen this thread if i hadn't happened to stop by before it was moved.

TheValleyRaider
August 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Overall, looks about right at this stage of the game

With Randolph returning, plus getting 2 of the other 3 contenders (Colgate and Lafayette) at home, the Crusaders should be the favorites

Colgate returns enough, I think, to get that #2 spot, and I would not be surprised if they were able to go into Worcester and win, and repeat for the title

Lehigh and Lafayette are a step behind those 2 at the moment, and them tying seems about right. Lehigh getting a 1st place vote is interesting, though talent-wise they are probably just as likely to grab the top spot as Colgate and HC

Fordham is even more mysterious after last season. Who are the real Rams?

Ken_Z's optimism is charming, if not infectious. I agree with ngineer's verdict that they're good enough to beat any of the top 5 (beyond Fordham, again), but not quite consistent enough to get near the top. If they're in the Top 4, it's related to unexpected parity

As for Georgetown, well, I like their chances at a winning OOC record. They could very well beat Fordham or Bucknell, but as of right now, I have a hard time picking the Hoyas over those Top 4

DFW HOYA
August 4th, 2009, 08:51 PM
The PL news releases read as if they mention Georgetown under duress.

TheMinuteman
August 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I wish UMass was playing Holy Cross again this year...it would be a much more interesting game

crusader11
August 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I wish UMass was playing Holy Cross again this year...it would be a much more interesting game

Agreed. I'd trade Northeastern for UMASS in a heartbeat. The two games we have played against you guys over the past two seasons have been VERY entertaining.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
IMO... Fordham is way, way, way too low. I don't think there's any way they finish 5th.