PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best FCS QB you had seen play?

Pages : [1] 2

Cat79
August 3rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Stan Humphries-Louisiana-Monroe (Northeast Louisiana in I-AA)
Bobbie Hebert-Northwestern State University

DuckDuckGriz
August 3rd, 2009, 09:22 PM
In person?

Dave Dickenson, Montana
Russ Michna, Western Illinois
Jimmy Blanchard, Portland State
Craig Ochs, Montana

GannonFan
August 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Rich Gannon, University of Delaware xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

EKU05
August 3rd, 2009, 09:33 PM
Tony Romo. And it was my first every FCS game attended.

catbob
August 3rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
Dave Dickenson UM
Jaime Martin Weber
Erik Meyere EWU

Jon Grant UC Davis ripped us to shreds but with the holes we were giving up I could've ripped us to shreds.
Jason Murietta NAU wasn't too bad either.

Sorry I'm pretty limited to Big Sky. Come to think of it I don't think I've been to an away FCS game! Got to a few FBS ones.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
As a college player? Ricky Santos. As a pro? Rich Gannon.

smcwildcat
August 3rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
rodney landers...ricky santos...david ball....brian westbrook...chaz williams

Ud1Hens
August 3rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ricky Santos...I have never seen a player avoid more sacks/tackles than him.

MR. CHICKEN
August 3rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Ricky Santos...I have never seen a player avoid more sacks/tackles than him.

GOOD ANSWER.....xnodx.....AWK!

Go...gate
August 3rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Scott Brunner, Delaware (D-II, but UD was in I-AA shortly thereafter)
Doug Butler, Princeton
Jay Fiedler, Dartmouth
Phil Stambaugh, Lehigh
Frank Baur, Lafayette
Ricky Santos, UNH
Steve McNair, Alcorn State (on ESPN in '94 play-offs)

crusader11
August 3rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
I don't go too far back, but some of the better ones I've seen in person are:

Ryan Fitzpatrick (Harvard)
Ricky Santos (UNH)
Chris Pizzotti (Harvard)
Dominic Randolph (Holy Cross)
Joe Flacco (Delaware)

GOKATS
August 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
John Friesz, Idaho (before they went big timexlolx)

Doug Nussmeier, Idaho (before they went big timexlolx)

Travis Lulay, Montana St.

Jamie Martin, Weber St.

Eric Meyer, Eastern WA

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 3rd, 2009, 11:06 PM
Steve "AIR 2" McNair-Alcorn GOAT
Willie Totten-Miss Valley
Bruce Eugene-Gram
Nate Harrison-Southern
Quincy Richard-Southern
Kendrick Nord-Grambling
Jay Sky Walker-Howard
Quinn Gray-Famu
Eric Randall-Southern
T. Jackson-Alabama St.

BisonNDSU
August 3rd, 2009, 11:29 PM
rhett bomar had an incredible game at the fargodome in 07. But steve walker pulled a rabbit out of his hat......again.....and NDSU won.

but wow, bomar could pass and run

chattanoogamocs
August 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Steve McNair, hands down (for me)...watched him live on Chamberlain Field back in '94.

from the Sports Illustrated Archive...

The following week McNair sliced up Tennessee-Chattanooga with 647 yards and eight touchdown passes in a 54-28 Alcorn win for a Division I-AA single-game record for individual total offense, which was 171 yards better than No. 11 Alabama's team did against Chattanooga this year.

JALMOND
August 4th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I've seen some great ones...

Kelly Bradley (Montana State)-one of the earlier great ones I can recall.
Travis Lulay (Montana State)
Erik Meyer (Eastern Washington)
Doug Nussmeier (Idaho)
Jimmy Blanchard (Portland State)-homer pick
Cameron Higgins (Weber State)
Jamie Martin (Weber State)

but hands down, the best I've seen in person was Dave Dickenson (Montana). If you did not know who he was, at first you're thinking, "This is the one who is generating all the hype?" and by the end of the game, you're thinking, "WOW! Did you see him do this?"

GAD
August 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Patrick Bonner-FAMU
Willie Totten-Miss. Valley
Steve McNair-Alcorn
Quinn Gray-FAMU
Roland Hayes-AAMU
Nate Harrison-Southern
Sam George-Southern

JMU Newbill
August 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM
All (most) of these people that saw Ricky Santos didn't see Joe Flacco? Interesting.

blueballs
August 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Tracy Ham by a wide margin...

... then Raymond Gross...

... then Armanti Edwards followed by Greg Hill.

AshevilleApp2
August 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1PNEg0Il8E

AshevilleApp2
August 4th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Tracy Ham by a wide margin...

... then Raymond Gross...

... then Armanti Edwards followed by Greg Hill.

You mean this guy?

Franks Tanks
August 4th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Stanbaugh
Vena
Fitzpatrick
Randolph is pretty much in that class as well, but I must reserve final judjement until the end of the season

I-AA Fan
August 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Steve McNair, Alcorn State (on ESPN in '94 play-offs)

You mean the game where McNair pretended to be injured and ESPN could not stop drooling over him? Yes, the game where the camera zoomed in on him running off the field; McNair saw it, stopped and grabbed the wrong (non-injured) hamstring, and everyone at the Ice Castle called him on it? What was that final again??? Oh yeah ...63-20 or so ...home team of course. Sorry, great QB, but that was a terrible team and even worse acting job.

I would say truly one of the best I-AA QB's I ever saw, he was very talented ...but I saw Romo (EIU), Warner (UNI), and Cullpepper (UCF). Cullpepper was the best of the lot.

DetroitFlyer
August 4th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Kevin Hoyng of Dayton. Being undersized, he never got the credit he deserved. He was one of the top QB's in all of FCS when he played. Don't believe me? Ask the Albany fans that got to see him in person at the Gridiron Classic.

ur2k
August 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM
All (most) of these people that saw Ricky Santos didn't see Joe Flacco? Interesting.

I saw both and would say Santos was a better college QB, he was great. Flacco was no slouch either but Santos did great things in that offense over 4 years.

Best single game QB performance I have ever seen live was AE carving us up in the 2007 semifinal - that was an amazing performance.

AshevilleApp2
August 4th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I'll wait a season before making any judgement.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Santos was more memorable. Not taking anything away from him, but Joe Flacco's collegiate career may suffer the Wayne Chrebet syndrome- both got their jobs done without being such standouts when they were there. You have to try and separate their college days from their pro experience, and try to avoid revisionist history (myself included ;) )

Speaking from a Hofstra standpoint and being neutral, Santos seemed to get more ink and mention.

89Hen
August 4th, 2009, 10:25 AM
In person:

Rich Gannon, UD
Joe Flacco, UD
Ricky Santos, UNH
Mike Cook, W&M
Lang Campbell, W&M
Armanti Edwards, ASU

roTSU50
August 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Nonsense
If McNair was injured, the game would have been much closer. He could scramble like he always did. he basically was a sitting target.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
While we're at it, I'm going to throw out the name Giovanni Carmazzi. Great field presence, and performed very well within the framework of his offense.

813Jag
August 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Bruce Eugene-Gram
Nate Harrison-Southern
Quincy Richard-Southern
Kendrick Nord-Grambling
Jay Sky Walker-Howard
Quinn Gray-Famu
Eric Randall-Southern
T. Jackson-Alabama St.

Patrick Bonner-FAMU
Willie Totten-Miss. Valley
Steve McNair-Alcorn
Quinn Gray-FAMU
Roland Hayes-AAMU
Nate Harrison-Southern
Sam George-Southern
What these guys said. Fred McNair was no joke either, as well as Darnell Kennedy.

GannonFan
August 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Santos was more memorable. Not taking anything away from him, but Joe Flacco's collegiate career may suffer the Wayne Chrebet syndrome- both got their jobs done without being such standouts when they were there. You have to try and separate their college days from their pro experience, and try to avoid revisionist history (myself included ;) )

Speaking from a Hofstra standpoint and being neutral, Santos seemed to get more ink and mention.

Huh??? Having actually seen both Chrebet and Flacco play, to say that they weren't standouts in college is just absolute nonsense. They were both fantastic in college. You can't let their success at the pro level minimize what they did at the college level.

UNIFanSince1983
August 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Kurt Warner - UNI
Ricky Santos - UNH
Joe Flacco - Delaware
Armanti Edwards - ASU
Eric Sanders - UNI (just a winner, maybe not the most talented)

And it may be early, but I was really really impressed with Eric Ward of Richmond.

Obviously the last two may be stretches, but I was only trying to do ones I have seen in person (except Armanti, but he is just amazing and without seeing him in person I thought I would put him on the list)

BEAR
August 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Since none of my SLC brethren have said it yet...
:D

Nathan Brown- UCA (for coming out of Division II and excelling)
Rhett Bomar- SHSU (for coming out of the FBS and padding his stats) xlolx

grizband
August 4th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Dave Dickensen (only saw him on tv)
Craig Ochs
Travis Lulay
Erik Meyer
Ricky Santos (UNH)
Russ Michna (WIU)

I'm sure there are others I will think of later.

jmufan999
August 4th, 2009, 11:04 AM
rodney landers, armanti edwards, joe flacco (only saying that because of his pro career, i don't remember being blown away but i'm also not a football expert)... Liam Coen has some skill too. never saw santos play. this kills me to say this but Bergquist got the job done. never made your jaw drop, but he made big plays when he needed to. i wish i could have seen Jayson Foster play.

jmufan999
August 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
geez, just thought of one that probably NONE of you would guess.....

how about Eric Ward? the guy is a gamer. cool as a cucumber. very accurate passer, enough of a running threat to be... well, a threat. doesn't seem to ever make a mistake. i like the kid a lot and i think he's got a shot at the WP award this year. don't know why i never hear his name mentioned.

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 11:09 AM
GannonFan, I watched all four years of Chrebet's career. Now this is going to seem off the wall, but while it seemed like he never dropped a ball during college, it was a great surprise to many that he hitched on with the J-E-T-S.

Now had he been 6' 4", he'd have been much more revered at the time he was wearing the blue and gold. He was part of the receiving corps during Hofstra's offensive hey day, and his Hofstra numbers reflect that. Again, like Carmazzi he was a great performer within the framework of the offense.

technocat
August 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Live:
Travis Lulay MSU
Dave Dickenson UM
Craig Ochs UM
Cameron Higgins WSU (I think he's gonna be one of the great ones)
Erik Meyer EWU (God I hated this guy)
Matt Nichols EWU

sorry my list is all rather recent. Haven't had the opportunity to go to a lot of live games outside the last 5 years and in the BIG SKY

GannonFan
August 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM
GannonFan, I watched all four years of Chrebet's career. Now this is going to seem off the wall, but while it seemed like he never dropped a ball during college, it was a great surprise to many that he hitched on with the J-E-T-S.

Now had he been 6' 4", he'd have been much more revered at the time he was wearing the blue and gold. He was part of the receiving corps during Hofstra's offensive hey day, and his Hofstra numbers reflect that. Again, like Carmazzi he was a great performer within the framework of the offense.

Of course Chrebet making the NFL was a surprise - he was a mite, but the dude could flat out play.

I'll have to differ on the Carmazzi comparison - I never thought much of Carmazzi in college. Never thought he had much of an arm and just dinked and dunked a lot. Never thought he had half the talent Chrebet had, despite his gaudy numbers.

McNeeserocket
August 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
In person?

Dave Dickenson, Montana
Russ Michna, Western Illinois
Jimmy Blanchard, Portland State
Craig Ochs, Montana

If you saw Dave Dickenson, then do you remember seeing the 94 Montana-McNeese playoff game in Montana? If you were at that game then perhaps you remember the McNeese QB, Kerry Joseph. He was credited with engineering the come from behind rally that almost allowed McNeese to win that game in the ice and snow. Kerry Joseph finished a very close 2nd to Dave Dickenson that year in the Payton Award.

Interestingly, both Joseph and Dickerson played against each other in the Canadian league. I believe Dickenson recently retired, but Joseph still plays and won the Canadian League MVP a couple of years ago.

James Madison fans may also remember McNeese's Kerry Joseph from a 1995 regular season home game when Joseph engineered another huge come from behind rally to beat James Madison at "their house." Not only did Joseph QB that game, he also had the punting duties in that game. Joseph kicked a 70 plus yard punt after the ball had been hiked over his head. Joseph picked up the ball on the run from twenty yards behind the line of scrimmage and kicked it 70 yards! It was such an impressive enough event that it made the ESPN "Play of the Week.”

So for the above reasons and so many other incredible memories of watching Kerry Joseph I have to say that he was the best FCS QB I have ever seen.

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2009, 11:35 AM
If you saw Dave Dickenson, then do you remember seeing the 94 Montana-McNeese playoff game in Montana? If you were at that game then perhaps you remember the McNeese QB, Kerry Joseph. He was credited with engineering the come from behind rally that almost allowed McNeese to win that game in the ice and snow. Kerry Joseph finished a very close 2nd to Dave Dickenson that year in the Payton Award.

Interesting, both Joseph and Dickerson played against each other in the Canadian league. I believe Dickenson recently retired, but Joseph still plays and won the Canadian League MVP a couple of years ago.

James Madison fans may also remember McNeese's Kerry Joseph from a 1995 regular season home game when Joseph engineered another huge come from behind rally to beat James Madison at "their house." Not only did Joseph QB that game, he also had the punting duties in that game. Joseph kicked a 70 plus yard punt after the ball had been hiked over his head. Joseph picked up the ball on the run from twenty yards behind the line of scrimmage and kicked it 70 yards! It was such an impressive enough event that it made the ESPN "Play of the Week.”

So for the above reasons and so many other incredible memories of watching Kerry Joseph I have to say that he was the best FCS QB I have ever seen.

I do remember Kerry Joseph and ironically in that 94 game Dickenson wasn't playing because he had a nagging injury so if I remember correctly it was Burt Wilberger we were running with.

One thing about Kerry Joseph though is he was quick, but one of the only memories I have of that game (I was young) was him veering left and slipping up a little bit on the grass (it was snowing) - once he was off balance, BAM Jason Crebo smacks him into the 30 yard line. I still remember hearing that hit.

We were lucky to win that game! You were lucky to win in 97 and 02! ;)

Great series for the most part. Glad we signed a home and home.

BobcatJH
August 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Barrick Freakin Nealy!!!!

GAD
August 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
What these guys said. Fred McNair was no joke either, as well as Darnell Kennedy.
Darnell Kennedy I wanted to add him to me list but could not remember his name, Ottoman Sampson-FAMU was another heck throw in Jajuan Syder from FAMU too......FAMU had some good ones

Bull Fan
August 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I don't think Gio was THE best, no. But I always felt he could hold his own. He never had a rifle of an arm, but could make any throw he needed to, including those occasional shots down field that were set up by the quick passes and the running game. I'd put his arm strength up there with Pennington's. His presence was fantastic.

Also understand, that in the last 19 years he still is the gold standard for Hofstra QBs ;)

SpidersSportsEditor
August 4th, 2009, 12:33 PM
geez, just thought of one that probably NONE of you would guess.....

how about Eric Ward? the guy is a gamer. cool as a cucumber. very accurate passer, enough of a running threat to be... well, a threat. doesn't seem to ever make a mistake. i like the kid a lot and i think he's got a shot at the WP award this year. don't know why i never hear his name mentioned.

Could not agree more. Obviously it may be a little biased, but his completion percentage is great, he scrambles for first downs on third and short in crucial situations and manages the game very very well. He's just quiet and modest, and Richmond has some other players who make more highlight reel plays, but he's definitely underrated. Without him at QB, no way Richmond wins it all last year. Probably not in the class of best QBs ever seen in the FCS, but he should raise some eyebrows this year.

Best QB I've seen live is Edwards from App. 2007 semifinals he took the team on his back and singlehandedly won them the game. But, when he didn't have his mobility in the 2008 game, Ward outplayed him. Saw Flacco play once in the 5 OT game against Richmond in 07, also impressive, but Ward beat him too.

bpcats
August 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Dickinson - frustrating to watch him scramble around and then flick a 15 yd completion to a wide open player.

Lulay - Freshman year at Washington Grizzly stadium, he was throwing darts to his receivers while the Griz QB (Edwards? or Ochs?) passes were taking 90 degree turns due to the wind. He willed wins out of the Cats in the 4th quarter. Just fun to watch.

Meyers - pick offenses apart, very accurate, similar to Lulay.

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Dickinson - frustrating to watch him scramble around and then flick a 15 yd completion to a wide open player.

Lulay - Freshman year at Washington Grizzly stadium, he was throwing darts to his receivers while the Griz QB (Edwards? or Ochs?) passes were taking 90 degree turns due to the wind. He willed wins out of the Cats in the 4th quarter. Just fun to watch.

Meyers - pick offenses apart, very accurate, similar to Lulay.

Lulay was a great leader - but he is not the reason you won *this game* in 2002. It was your defense. Lulay was 14/25 for 154 with 1 pick and 1 TD. Give more credit to Junior Adams for that TD.

We always wonder what coulda been if Glenn at put in Neill instead of Edwards. Ahh that was frustrating. But it was your defense that won that day IMO, not Lulay.

KiddBrewer
August 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
1) Armanti Edwards, ASU
2) Joe Flacco, Deleware (although he sucked when i saw him:))
3) Ingle Martin, Furman
4) Richie Williams, ASU
5) Jayson Foster, GSU
6) Eric Sanders, UNI

and im young, so....

DLS
August 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM

that'll change on september 12th

Gil Dobie
August 4th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Steve Walker NDSU

Eagle22
August 4th, 2009, 01:56 PM
GSU QB's:

Tracy Ham
Raymond Gross
Greg Hill

Other QB's:

Todd Hammel
Mike Cook (shame he hurt his knee in 1997 ... W&M had a very good team)
John Friesz
Chad Pennington
Stan Humprhies
Oteman Sampson
Armanti Edwards
Dave Dickenson

Husky Alum
August 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Live -

Mike Buck (Maine)
Kelly Ryan (Yale)
John Rogan (Yale)
Joe Flacco (UD)
Ricky Santos (UNH)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (Harvard)

I'm sure I'm missing a few given that QBs put up huge numbers against NU when I was in school, but those are off of the top of my head

Screamin_Eagle174
August 4th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Erik Meyer
Matt Nichols
Travis Lulay

Meyer might have one the Payton award (Nichols hasn't yet), but Matt is on the verge of breaking all of Erik's passing and TD records here at EWU. It's hard to say who's the better QB between the two, but I think Erik takes it. Lulay is really good too... I remember that game late in 2005, Meyer v. Lulay. If I remember right, both teams scored in the 40s. I watched Lulay play a little bit the summer after when I was taking photos at the Seahawks training camp here in Cheney before he was cut.

813Jag
August 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Darnell Kennedy I wanted to add him to me list but could not remember his name, Ottoman Sampson-FAMU was another heck throw in Jajuan Syder from FAMU too......FAMU had some good ones
I have bad memories of all those QBs. I know Jacoby doesn't get a lot of love but he was a solid QB.

fuEMO
August 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm going to go with Bobby Lamb, he wasn't as flashy as Ingle Martin but name another player in I-AA history with wins against I-A teams three straight years:

Lamb played quarterback for the Paladins, from 1982–85, where he was a two year starter. During Lamb's playing career the Paladins defeated three Division I-A teams: South Carolina (1982), Georgia Tech (1983), and NC State (1984 & 1985). In 1985 Lamb led the Paladins to the Southern Conference Championship, was named Southern Conference Player of the Year, and was a runner-up for the Division I-AA National Championship.

McNeeserocket
August 4th, 2009, 05:25 PM
that'll change on september 12th

I have seen your QB play several times! Impressive to say the least.

At this point I stand by what I said.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
You mean the game where McNair pretended to be injured and ESPN could not stop drooling over him? Yes, the game where the camera zoomed in on him running off the field; McNair saw it, stopped and grabbed the wrong (non-injured) hamstring, and everyone at the Ice Castle called him on it? What was that final again??? Oh yeah ...63-20 or so ...home team of course. Sorry, great QB, but that was a terrible team and even worse acting job.

I would say truly one of the best I-AA QB's I ever saw, he was very talented ...but I saw Romo (EIU), Warner (UNI), and Cullpepper (UCF). Cullpepper was the best of the lot.

Only time I ever saw him live. I did see him on videotape occasionally that season, and he was pretty damn good.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 4th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have bad memories of all those QBs. I know Jacoby doesn't get a lot of love but he was a solid QB.

xcoolx

SU Jag
August 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Bruce Eugene-Gram
Nate Harrison-Southern
Quincy Richard-Southern
Kendrick Nord-Grambling
Jay Sky Walker-Howard
Quinn Gray-Famu
Eric Randall-Southern
T. Jackson-Alabama St.

Boy you're on it!xthumbsupx I 2nd that list, but add Darnell Kenedy from Alabama State to that list.

Brad82
August 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Tom Ehrhardt-played with-(check out his stats in 2 yrs.)
Rich Gannon-played against
Marty Horn-" "
Bobby Lamb-" "
Kelly Bradley-" "

Mike Buck-saw play Rhody-great

Frank Bauer-played against -just a frosh,not in league with others in my opinion.

What made them great-cool in pocket!

Model Citizen
August 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Josh Johnson

UNH 40
August 4th, 2009, 08:28 PM
For me its got to be Santos, he turned our program around and brought a winning mentality to that locker room that still lingers on amoung current players. He also put up some of the greatest statistical numbers in FCS history while playing in the toughest league in the country. Oh yeah, and he went 36 and 11 as a starter.

paward
August 4th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I saw Santos twice and he was good. I have to agree that AE performance against us in 2007 was the best I have seen in my time. He was a one man recking crew. I was more impressed with him when we tied the game. He went into fifth gear at that point and never looked back.

Tubby Raymond
August 4th, 2009, 08:45 PM
As a college player? Ricky Santos. As a pro? Rich Gannon.

Ditto, except for being a pure passer Santos was amazing. There is a guy who plays for the Ravens now, think his # is 5xthumbsupx

Hoyadestroya85
August 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Rodney Landers and Brett Gordon

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2009, 09:53 PM
What else can I say?xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 4th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Phil Stambaugh- Lehigh
Glen Kempa- Lehigh
Ryan Vena- Colgate
Tom Ciaccio- Holy Cross, This guy was sick, wore #20 i believe, Lehigh-HC '91 one of the greatest games ever!
Jay Fiedler- Dartmouth

elkmcc
August 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=McNeeserocket;1378431]If you saw Dave Dickenson, then do you remember seeing the 94 Montana-McNeese playoff game in Montana? If you were at that game then perhaps you remember the McNeese QB, Kerry Joseph. He was credited with engineering the come from behind rally that almost allowed McNeese to win that game in the ice and snow. Kerry Joseph finished a very close 2nd to Dave Dickenson that year in the Payton Award. [QUOTE]

KJ, as great as he was finished 3'rd to McNair and Dickenson respectively in '94. DD won the WP Award in '95.

aust42
August 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
In person:

Rich Gannon, UD
Joe Flacco, UD
Ricky Santos, UNH
Mike Cook, W&M
Lang Campbell, W&M
Armanti Edwards, ASU

Agree with the top three being a fellow Bluehen season ticket holder.

1) Rich Gannon, UD, A game changer with his scrambling abilities and passing threat. You always knew you had a chance with Rich Gannon.

2) Joe Flacco, UD. The first time I saw him throw the deep out on a rope I knew he was NFL material. Little did I know I was watching a future 1st round NFL draft pic for two seasons.

3) Ricky Santos, UNH. Comes in the 2nd half his 2004 rookie year replacing the injured starter and torches the defending national champs Bluehens on their home turf. He lit us up and single handedly won that game as a Freshman. (%$# sob)I don't think he ever let up after that game. He torched Rutgers 2ndary the very next week and every other 1A team he played in his career. He single handedly turned New Hampshire into a contender. I might have to move him up to #1.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
What else can I say?xthumbsupx

Other than the lame, overly done Photoshop? xsmiley_wix
Even AE doesn't burn people that badly!

Grizo406
August 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Dave Dickenson, UM
Craig Ochs, UM
Russ Michna, WIU

93henfan
August 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM
In person:

Rich Gannon, UD
Joe Flacco, UD
Ricky Santos, UNH
Mike Cook, W&M
Lang Campbell, W&M
Armanti Edwards, ASU

Good list, and I'll add Mike Buck from Maine. He was another guy with a laser rocket arm. His only problem was mobility (the lack thereof).

89Hen
August 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
2) Joe Flacco, UD. The first time I saw him throw the deep out on a rope I knew he was NFL material. Little did I know I was watching a future 1st round NFL draft pic for two seasons.
For me it was the way he threw the 10-15 pass over the middle. I always said it looked like he was throwing a baseball to the receiver's chest. I had never seen a QB throw like that in person.

89Hen
August 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Good list, and I'll add Mike Buck from Maine. He was another guy with a laser rocket arm. His only problem was mobility (the lack thereof).
I almost put him on, but I honestly couldn't recall if I had seen him in person. xeyebrowx

UNIFanSince1983
August 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM
I have never seen a quarterback throw a ball so hard as Joe Flacco did. I remember getting into the game early and watching warm ups and just being shocked. He was absolutely rocketing the ball to those receivers. In the game there were a few throws that had any other quarterback made they would have been picked off. I was then surprised by his ability to avoid tackles and make plays last longer.

blukeys
August 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Greg Landry Umass
Mike Buck Maine
Scott Brunner Delaware
Ricky Santos UNH
Mike Cook W & M
Joe Flacco Delaware
Jeff Komlo Delaware

The best QB I ever saw in person was Rich Gannon. Gannon looked like a 12 year old playing with a bunch of 8 year olds. Think of a Ricky Santos with sprinter's speed.

SideLine Shooter
August 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Other than the lame, overly done Photoshop? xsmiley_wix
Even AE doesn't burn people that badly!

I really appreciate the advice of a "Master Photographer " like yourself, but I can name quite a list of schools that Armanti has burned. Just one that you might be just a little familiar with is Michigan (Big Blue), maybe you have heard of them before. I can list a lot more but you have probably never heard of them.

Well I have got to go Photoshop some more photos.

Enjoy the photo of Greg. I'm sure you can give more advice on it also.

GannonFan
August 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
The best QB I ever saw in person was Rich Gannon. Gannon looked like a 12 year old playing with a bunch of 8 year olds. Think of a Ricky Santos with sprinter's speed.

Agreed - shame that UD wasn't that good when Gannon was here as they only made the playoffs once - it was Gannon and not a lot else on those teams. But looking back at video now it's amazing as to how good he was. People who saw Gannon later with the Raiders when he won the NFL MVP were seeing a different QB - in college Gannon was lightning fast and had a cannon for an arm. Not quite the arm that Flacco had, but a legit arm nonetheless. And you're right, it was like watching a sprinter. Santos was good, but he was never as fast as Gannon nor had an arm like Gannon's. Easily the best I've seen at this level.

spdram
August 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one:

2004 Tribe senior quarterback Lang Campbell wins the Walter Payton Award, given annually to I-AA’s top offensive player.

Where are you Tribes fans? Worst thing is Jim Reid, then Richmond coach convinced him to go to W&M rather than UR. Said Jimmye could help his game more than anyone. Jimmye should always look out for Jim Reid.

Silenoz
August 5th, 2009, 10:29 AM
No love for Ah Yat?

jus10asu
August 5th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Gonna have to go with Armanti Edwards, Jayson Foster, Joe Flacco. All of em have different styles but are/were awesome to watch play.

eaglewithabus
August 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM
tracy ham
jayson foster/armanti edwards

I think scott riddle has a lot of potential

NHwildEcat
August 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
The man who built up the UNH program...Ricky Santos!! I love watching him slaughter teams...now we expect winners in Durham, thanks Rick!

Seven Would Be Nice
August 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Jayson Foster was a TON of fun to watch! After that I'd have to give some credit to AE. Can't wait for that guy to graduate.

I've only been following IAA since 03 so I haven't seen Ham, Hill, or some of the other great GSU QBs.

KAUMASS
August 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
played against:
Rich Gannon, UD-ran close to a 4.4 40. Accurate passer and could run like a deer in college.
Tom Erhardt, URI
Matt DeGennaro, UConn
Mike Buck, Maine
Bob Jean, UNH

Seen live in person at a game:
Armanti Edwards, App. St
Ricky Santos, UNH
Liam Coen, UMass
Domenic Randolph, H.C.
Giovanni Carmizzi, Hofstra

89Hen
August 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
In person:

Rich Gannon, UD
Joe Flacco, UD
Ricky Santos, UNH
Mike Cook, W&M
Lang Campbell, W&M
Armanti Edwards, ASU

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one:

2004 Tribe senior quarterback Lang Campbell wins the Walter Payton Award, given annually to I-AA’s top offensive player.

:)

Saw Campbell in a losing effort at UD in 2004 throwing for 300+ yards and 4 TD's. Of course he got his revenge in the playoffs with a 21 point fourth quarter comeback. I'm glad I didn't see that one in person.

93henfan
August 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I almost put him on, but I honestly couldn't recall if I had seen him in person. xeyebrowx

That game was in 1989, the season after you graduated, so you may have missed it. xconfusedx

Buck and company came to Newark at 8-0, ranked #1 in the country, and left with their first loss.

g-webb1994
August 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I saw Lamb in person when my brothers were at Furman, also saw his predecessor, David Charpia, who wasn't half bad himself.

On TV, it's Ham, by a wide margin. A gamechanger in every sense of the word.

Now back in the early 90's, when Wofford was still D-2, Shawn Graves was flat out awesome.

Appguy
August 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
1) Armanti Edwards, ASU
2) Joe Flacco, Deleware (although he sucked when i saw him:))
3) Ingle Martin, Furman
4) Richie Williams, ASU
5) Jayson Foster, GSU
6) Eric Sanders, UNI

and im young, so....

I'll Echo that, with maybe Richie above Ingle, and as he said, I didn't see the best of Flacco but his pro career seems to be working out so far, also Elon's Riddle looked real good as well

89Hen
August 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
That game was in 1989, the season after you graduated, so you may have missed it. xconfusedx

Buck and company came to Newark at 8-0, ranked #1 in the country, and left with their first loss.
I was still there for fall 1989. xwhistlex xsmiley_wix But I really don't recall that game.

Silenoz
August 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM
My answer would be Dave Dickenson, and then Erik Meyers

Santos and Romo didn't have the greatest of games against the Griz (to my memory)

kdinva
August 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
GSU QB's:

Tracy Ham
Raymond Gross
Greg Hill

Me, too. Plus: Jack Douglass and Stanley Myers (Citadel), Lang Campbell & Shawn Knight (W&M), Eric Ward & Stacey Tutt (UR).

Eagle_77
August 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Tracy Ham- Georgia Southern
Jayson Foster- Georgia Southern
Ingle Martin- Furman
Armanti Edwards- App St.
Chad Pinington- Marshal
Rick Santos- New Hampshire

Canyoncat
August 5th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Like others, Dave Dickenson, Eric Meyers and Travis Lulay. Jamie Martin at Weber State was pretty good as well. Northern Arizona's Jeff Lewis put up some great numbers, but will have to go with Dickenson and Meyers.

GreatAppSt
August 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
In person
Armanti Edwards, Jayson Foster, Joe Flacco, J.R.Revere have folks forgotten him, even you GSU'ers? Ricky Santos.

On the tube
McNair
Dickenson

Go...gate
August 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Agree with the top three being a fellow Bluehen season ticket holder.

1) Rich Gannon, UD, A game changer with his scrambling abilities and passing threat. You always knew you had a chance with Rich Gannon.

3) Ricky Santos, UNH. Comes in the 2nd half his 2004 rookie year replacing the injured starter and torches the defending national champs Bluehens on their home turf. He lit us up and single handedly won that game as a Freshman. (%$# sob)I don't think he ever let up after that game. He torched Rutgers 2ndary the very next week and every other 1A team he played in his career. He single handedly turned New Hampshire into a contender. I might have to move him up to #1.

Gotta tell you that, IMO, UD's Brunner was certainly in a class with Gannon and Flacco. He was a pleasure to watch.

Go...gate
August 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Tom Ehrhardt-played with-(check out his stats in 2 yrs.)
Rich Gannon-played against
Marty Horn-" "
Bobby Lamb-" "
Kelly Bradley-" "

Mike Buck-saw play Rhody-great

Frank Bauer-played against -just a frosh,not in league with others in my opinion.

What made them great-cool in pocket!

Forgot about Marty Horn, who was a splendid passer.

Comes from a great family, too - Pals Cabin, owned by his family for generations, has been one of favorite places over the years.

mtgrizfan4life
August 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I will add a name, even though he was not FCS, but Div II. I am surprised other Griz fans have not mentioned him. Mike Reilly of Central Washington was amazing. He single handedly kept his team in the game, and possible upset. The kid always made something happen. Good arm, excellent pocket presence and footwork, very smart, and great field general. He was not fast, but impossible to sack, just an unreal pocket presence. How the GRIZ let him get out of their own backyard (Kalispell) is beyond me.

Granted, it was only 1 game, his pocket presence and ability to make plays was NFL caliber, and I for one will not be surprised to see him stick in the NFL.

BTW he was better than other visiting qb's such as Santos, McKnown, Meyer, Lulay, Romo, etc.

APPdopted
August 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Armanti Edwards (ASU) - At Michigan, vs. Richmond 07 Semis, Both National Championships, Wofford on Halloween
Joe Flacco (Delaware) - National Championship
Jayson Foster (GSU) - at ASU 07
Eric Sanders (UNI) - National Championship
Honorable Mentions: Rodney Landers (JMU), Richie Williams (ASU), and Scott Riddle (Elon)

proasu89
August 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
In Person :

Tracy Ham
Ingle Martin
Joe Flacco
Eric Ward
Richie Williams
Armanti Edwards

ASU_Fanatic
August 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Armanti Edwards
Ingle Martin
Joe Flacco

Tubby Raymond
August 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Phil Stambaugh- Lehigh
Glen Kempa- Lehigh
Ryan Vena- Colgate
Tom Ciaccio- Holy Cross, This guy was sick, wore #20 i believe, Lehigh-HC '91 one of the greatest games ever!
Jay Fiedler- Dartmouth

You gotta broaden your horizons. Didn't you come to the playoff game in Delaware Stadium 2000, you saw a better QB that day than everybody on that list.

ngineer
August 5th, 2009, 10:40 PM
You gotta broaden your horizons. Didn't you come to the playoff game in Delaware Stadium 2000, you saw a better QB that day than everybody on that list.

No, I think he was thinking of the Lehigh-Delaware game the year before!;)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM

I was at that game but don't really remember the QB. That was an awesome Delaware team. Lehigh was legit that year as well, beat WIU by 30 the week before and smacked around a 7-4 Wofford team in SC. UD basically intimidated Lehigh after the first quarter. I remember Lehigh's KR/DB Abduhl Byron trying to razz the crowd before the opening kickoff. That might have been the fatal mistake after what happened in '99.

blukeys
August 5th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Gotta tell you that, IMO, UD's Brunner was certainly in a class with Gannon and Flacco. He was a pleasure to watch.

Agreed Brunner's arm was every bit as good as Flacco's and slightly better than Gannon's. The Giants picked Phil Simms over Brunner. I thought Brunner was better.

MSUBear42
August 6th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Kurt Warner? Not really sure.

AAadict
August 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
1. Andy Hall (likely 'cause he played for a better team)
2. Joe Flacco
3. Armanti Edwards (saw him in 07 Champ. & 05 vs. Lafayette)

...didn't see Gannon

LacesOut
August 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Bill Vergantino - Delaware

katstrapper
August 6th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Best QB I ever saw play at Sam Houston was Reggie Lewis. Some of the longtime SLC fans will remember this guy. He was phenomenal.

I saw "Air" McNair play in Huntsville in against the Kats and you want to talk about a stud QB? He had all the tools. He was very tough to bring down and was always looking down the field.xthumbsupx

GATA
August 6th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Best I've seen play in person:

1. Jayson Foster/Armanti Edwards
2. Ingle Martin
3. Ricky Santos
4. Richie Williams/Chaz Williams

I-AA Fan
August 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Tracy Ham- Georgia Southern
Jayson Foster- Georgia Southern
Ingle Martin- Furman
Armanti Edwards- App St.
Chad Pinington- Marshal
Rick Santos- New Hampshire

Did Pennington play as a I-AA QB? I think they may have been in the MAC at that point.

Big Dawg
August 6th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Patrick Bonner at FAMU is one of my all time favorites. I think he's the best QB to play at FAMU, so far. He was the best I-AA QB in 1999.

griz&beer
August 6th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Yes Penningon played 1 AA football, Montana beat him in the 95 NC game.

MSUBear42
August 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Scratch that, McNair.

proasu89
August 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
1. Andy Hall (likely 'cause he played for a better team)
2. Joe Flacco
3. Armanti Edwards (saw him in 07 Champ. & 05 vs. Lafayette)

...didn't see Gannon

You saw Richie Williams. Armanti was a frosh in 06xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I'm going to go with Bobby Lamb, he wasn't as flashy as Ingle Martin but name another player in I-AA history with wins against I-A teams three straight years.

SANTOS: Rutgers, Northwestern, Marshall

LacesOut
August 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
SANTOS: Rutgers, Northwestern, Marshall

He sure was an outstanding, OUTSTANDING QB/Football Player.

Tealblood
August 7th, 2009, 05:53 AM
In person
Tyler Thgpen-starts a season in the pros
Armanti Edwards-flashiest player
richie Williams- solid
Jack Douglass- I was there to watch el Cid beat the Gamecocks- a glorious day
Jayson Foster-nobody had an answer for him

GAD
August 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Patrick Bonner at FAMU is one of my all time favorites. I think he's the best QB to play at FAMU, so far. He was the best I-AA QB in 1999.
Bonner was one of the most accurate QB's I ever saw.

aust42
August 7th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Agreed - shame that UD wasn't that good when Gannon was here as they only made the playoffs once - it was Gannon and not a lot else on those teams. But looking back at video now it's amazing as to how good he was. People who saw Gannon later with the Raiders when he won the NFL MVP were seeing a different QB - in college Gannon was lightning fast and had a cannon for an arm. Not quite the arm that Flacco had, but a legit arm nonetheless. And you're right, it was like watching a sprinter. Santos was good, but he was never as fast as Gannon nor had an arm like Gannon's. Easily the best I've seen at this level.

I have to disagree. There were a lot of good players on that team and I consider the '85 & '86 teams to be the most underacheiving teams in the history of Delaware. Between the Jr/Sr classes (Gannon's Sr. year) we had 7 guys signed as NFL free agents. Gannon was the only one that stuck with a team obviously. We beat Navy and Temple the same year we lose to the crappy teams? Inexcusable.

89Hen
August 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I consider the '85 & '86 teams to be the most underacheiving teams in the history of Delaware....

We beat Navy and Temple the same year we lose to the crappy teams? Inexcusable.
xnodx '85 was the most strange year I can remember.

mrklean
August 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
1. Tracy Ham GSU (a triple option god)
2. Steve McNair ASU (the ultimate gunslinger)
3. Armanti Edwards ASU (Mr. I can do it all)
4. Jayson Foster GSU (the only person that stopped him was you know who)

JohnStOnge
August 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
As always: Tracy Ham.

AAadict
August 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
One could say that at the I-AA level (or FCS if you prefer) that Delaware is QB U. Add Pat Devlin to that list in a couple years (NFL).

proasu89
August 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
In person
Tyler Thgpen-starts a season in the pros
Armanti Edwards-flashiest player
richie Williams- solid
Jack Douglass- I was there to watch el Cid beat the Gamecocks- a glorious day
Jayson Foster-nobody had an answer for him

I apologize for leaving Tyler Thigpen off my list. xthumbsupx

EKUSteve
August 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
The one I saw play with the most success in the pros - Phil Simms @ Morehead St.
Otherwise, I'd have to say Kelly Holcombe from Middle Tennessee from 91 - 95 or Payton from Marshall. I know neither school is FCS now, but they were great FCS QBs in their day.

ASU
August 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
1. Tracy Ham GSU (a triple option god)
2. Steve McNair ASU (the ultimate gunslinger)
3. Armanti Edwards ASU (Mr. I can do it all)
4. Jayson Foster GSU (the only person that stopped him was you know who)

Have to ask. WHO stopped Jayson Foster? Do you mean the coach that will not be named?

Pretty much agree with your list....Ham was something else. Foster fantastic. Armanti super. McNair....what a shame. He was one of the best ever.

BULLDOG8180
August 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
I'm going to go with Bobby Lamb, he wasn't as flashy as Ingle Martin but name another player in I-AA history with wins against I-A teams three straight years:

the answer to your trivia question is Jack Douglas, The Citadel. Beat Army in 1990, beat South Carolina in 1991, beat Arkansas and Army in 1992.
4 wins in 3 years!

BULLDOG8180
August 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Armanti Edwards
Tracy Hamm
Jack Douglas

Bulldogs on the honorable mention list:
Gene Brown
Duran Lawson

jstate83
August 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Fred McNair........Air McNair I
Fred was a pure QB.
He was a way better passer than Steve ever was.
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/large_mcnairfuneral.jpg
TD/INT 340-71
Yards 19,352
QB Rating 101.62

Steve McNair..........Air McNair II
Steve was the whole package of a pass/Run QB who just happened to be big as hell.
http://heismanpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mcnair.jpg
TD/INT 174-119
Yards 31,304
QB Rating 82.8

Willie Totten...........Sattelite Totten.
Totten was the best of them all.
Nobody could put a ball 30, 40, 50 yards down field on the mark like him.
Dude had over 100 TD's to Rice alone on those teams.
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/08/09/rice-totten-topper.jpg

813Jag
August 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Fred McNair........Air McNair I
Fred was a pure QB.
He was a way better passer than Steve ever was.
http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2009/07/large_mcnairfuneral.jpg
TD/INT 340-71
Yards 19,352
QB Rating 101.62

Steve McNair..........Air McNair II
Steve was the whole package of a pass/Run QB who just happened to be big as hell.
http://heismanpundit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mcnair.jpg
TD/INT 174-119
Yards 31,304
QB Rating 82.8

Willie Totten...........Sattelite Totten.
Totten was the best of them all.
Nobody could put a ball 30, 40, 50 yards down field on the mark like him.
Dude had over 100 TD's to Rice alone on those teams.
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2006/08/09/rice-totten-topper.jpg
Fred McNair was a great QB never got enough love.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have to disagree. There were a lot of good players on that team and I consider the '85 & '86 teams to be the most underacheiving teams in the history of Delaware. Between the Jr/Sr classes (Gannon's Sr. year) we had 7 guys signed as NFL free agents. Gannon was the only one that stuck with a team obviously. We beat Navy and Temple the same year we lose to the crappy teams? Inexcusable.

If I am not mistaken, Gannon was drafted by the Patriots who wanted to convert him into a Tailback. Gannon resisted and ended up getting traded ... or released, ... the rest is history. Guess Rich knew his abilities pretty well.

Bullet03
December 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Truly shocked I haven't seen Jeremy Moses, QB from SFA. He didn't have the arm strength or size for the pros, but was one of the smartest and most accurate passers I've ever seen.

AppAlum2003
December 21st, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for making me read the first 2 1/2 pages before realizing this thread was from 2009.

citdog
December 21st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Jacob Huesemen was already the best in 2009.

AppAlum2003
December 21st, 2012, 01:48 PM
Jacob Huesemen was already the best in 2009.

I think that's the year UTC won the National Championship, right?

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM
2012: Braden Hanson-North Dakota vs Montana 42/61 660yds 5 TD's 3 INT in a 40-34 win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuWQ8dI5BQ

AppAlum2003
December 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
2012: Braden Hanson-North Dakota vs Montana 42/61 660yds 5 TD's 3 INT in a 40-34 win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuWQ8dI5BQ

You had me at "3 INTS"

darell1976
December 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM
You had me at "3 INTS"

It was part of his stat line.

SpeedkingATL
December 21st, 2012, 02:52 PM
All in person:

Tracy Ham - Ran the Hambone to perfection for GaSo.
Armanti Edwards - Could beat you on the ground or thru the air and usually did.
Jason Foster - By no means the best QB but probabaly the one player that made me hold my breath every time he touched the ball. He had one year basically taken away by incompentant head coaching at GaSo.
Joe Flacco - The most accurate passer I've seen in FCS in person. In the National Championship game against App his receivers were blanketed all night and he still completed a lot of passes on perfect throws.
Rodney Landers - Not a great QB but so damn big and strong he was hardly ever stopped for less than a 3 yard gain. The most physical FCS QB I've seen.

boogereagle
December 21st, 2012, 03:26 PM
All in person:

Tracy Ham - Ran the Hambone to perfection for GaSo.
Armanti Edwards - Could beat you on the ground or thru the air and usually did.
Jason Foster - By no means the best QB but probabaly the one player that made me hold my breath every time he touched the ball. He had one year basically taken away by incompentant head coaching at GaSo.

Good list. I only saw Ham on highlight reels but he takes backseat to no one. Foster was incredible. I'm still puzzled why he isn't somewhere as a pro.

But I'm going to go with Edwards -- much as I hate too as a GSU homer. Edwards was the toughest kid at QB I've ever seen and he was a winner.

All those kids were great competitors. From an opposing standpoint, Edwards was one you knew you had to play your best to beat or he was going to beat you. And you're right. He usually did.

md64179
December 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM
Armanti Edwards

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
In person: Rhett Bomar of SHSU

phoenix3
December 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Scott Riddle, Jayson Foster, Armanti Edwards.

citdog
December 21st, 2012, 05:21 PM
Scott Riddle.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/files/2012/07/douche.jpg

Red & Black
December 21st, 2012, 05:23 PM
In person:

Dave Dickenson (UM Payton Winner)
Erik Meyer (EWU Payton Winner)
Doug Nussmeier (Idaho Payton Winner)
BL Mitchell (EWU Payton Winner)
Matt Nichols (EWU AA)

Vernon Adams will most certainly be included on that list within a couple of years. He was electrifying as a Freshman this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dystopiamembrane
December 21st, 2012, 06:07 PM
I'm a Ricky Santos believer.

Brad82
December 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
How about this,I played against:
(upper class)
Rich Gannon
Bobby Lamb
Marty Horn
Kelly Bradley
Bob Bleir
Peter Muldoon
Underclass
Frank Bauer
Bob St. Jean

Played with:
Tom Ehrhardt

Check out their credentials!

LuckyKat
December 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
In this Order

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/9028/rhettbomar3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/rhettbomar3.jpg/)

Bomar

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/716/joshmccown.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/joshmccown.png/)

McCown

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2802/dustlong.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/dustlong.png/)

Long

appsfan
December 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Two time Walter Payton Award winner Armanti Edwards.

HailSzczur
December 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
Ricky Santos by far is the best I personally have seen, followed by Chris Boden.

PAllen
December 21st, 2012, 09:45 PM
Luke Ciannello (most won't even know who he is, but if anyone had "it", it was Luke)

There was also a guy from Harvard who was pretty good too ;).

Grizo406
December 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM
Dave Dickenson, UM
Craig Ochs, UM
Russ Michna, WIU

I want to amend my list and add Armanti Edwards from ASU.xbowx

TheRevSFA
December 21st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Jeremy Moses (of course)

I saw McNair but that was when he went into the NFL

Same w/ romo

Lehigh'98
December 21st, 2012, 11:00 PM
@PAllen

Are u insane? Luke is a great kid and fantastic teammate, but He wasn't in same league as Stambaugh or Hall or Lum.

ASU_Fanatic
December 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM
Armanti Edwards did things I've never seen any other football player do

darkhorse: Ingle Martin was really good, I'll never forget that game @ Furman in 2005. I'VE NEVER BEEN SO HOT IN MY LIFE!!!! And we came away with an L :(... I'd say we got revenge later in the year though

Sammy94
December 21st, 2012, 11:12 PM
Wasn't that impressed with McNair the game I saw him play. Bomar, Moses, or McCown would be the ones I would go with.

HailSzczur
December 21st, 2012, 11:19 PM
Truly shocked I haven't seen Jeremy Moses, QB from SFA. He didn't have the arm strength or size for the pros, but was one of the smartest and most accurate passers I've ever seen.

Only time I saw him he put up 3 INTs :D But his numbers were amazing, kind of wish I actually saw him play.

citdog
December 21st, 2012, 11:20 PM
Eric Kresser

Go...gate
December 22nd, 2012, 01:21 AM
How about this,I played against:
(upper class)
Rich Gannon
Bobby Lamb
Marty Horn
Kelly Bradley
Bob Bleir
Peter Muldoon
Underclass
Frank Bauer
Bob St. Jean

Played with:
Tom Ehrhardt

Check out their credentials!

Didn't you also play against Steve Calabria? He was a very fine QB for Colgate for four seasons (1981 - 84)

Brad82
December 22nd, 2012, 05:56 AM
No,but he was good QB,
Colgate played Indy schedule back then.
They were better earlier in my career and vice versa.

Sader87
December 22nd, 2012, 08:17 AM
Jeff Wiley (Holy Cross '89) his stats in 1987: 265-400/3677 yds/34 TD's, passing efficiency rating of 163.0.

Threw for almost 10,000 yds over his career.

breezy
December 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Jeff Wiley was back at Holy Cross for the first game of the 2012 season against UNH, when he was honored by being added to the Ring of Fame at Fitton Field.

I had never met Jeff before, but I got a chance to speak with him at the pre-game reception, and it gave me a chance to tell him directly this (absolutely true) story from the late 1980s. I told him I recalled a newspaper article about an upcoming HC football game -- I do not remember the year, the newspaper, or the opponent involved. The reporter who wrote the story stated that the opponent's coach was asked how his team would prepare to handle Gordie Lockbaum, HC's great two-way back (who is also on the Fitton Field Ring of Fame). The coach replied (not the exact words, but certainly conveying this message): "Lockbaum is a terrific player, and of course he will be a challenge for us -- but the Holy Cross player who really scares me is Jeff Wiley."

Jeff got a good chuckle from that story. (Incidentally, Jeff is now an orthopaedic surgeon in New Hampshire. He and his wife have three children.)

Tubby Raymond
December 22nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Rodney Landers? REALLY. A bit one dimensional wasn't he?

Tubby Raymond
December 22nd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Ricky Santos by far is the best I personally have seen, followed by Chris Boden.Who was the little guy that was QB when Westbrook and the two brother WR's were on your squad? I thought he was much better than Boden.

blueballs
December 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Who was the little guy that was QB when Westbrook and the two brother WR's were on your squad? I thought he was much better than Boden.

Brett Gordon, right???

Tubby Raymond
December 22nd, 2012, 12:50 PM
YUP, tough kid

HailSzczur
December 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
YUP, tough kid

Yeah, he was the one that almost beat McNeese in the Semi's with a broken thumb. Dude could barely see over his offensive line. The Nova record book looks something like this Rushing records: Westbrook; Passing Records: Boden/Gordon; Receiving Records: Siani/Finneran/Westbrook

MplsBison
December 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
rhett bomar had an incredible game at the fargodome in 07. But steve walker pulled a rabbit out of his hat......again.....and NDSU won.

but wow, bomar could pass and run

I was going to say the same thing. Bomar nearly beat NDSU's defense by himself. Guy was incredible.

But does he really count as an I-AA QB? I would say no.

He's was a blue chipper who got caught breaking the rules and decided he wanted to play right away instead of sit out a year.

Tubby Raymond
December 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, he was the one that almost beat McNeese in the Semi's with a broken thumb. Dude could barely see over his offensive line. The Nova record book looks something like this Rushing records: Westbrook; Passing Records: Boden/Gordon; Receiving Records: Siani/Finneran/Westbrook

Saw him pick himelf up off the turf after some tremenedous hits

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2012, 05:59 AM
2007 season - ask Navy and N Iowa what they think about Mr. Flacco

Horseshoe App
December 23rd, 2012, 06:17 AM

2007 Season-Ask Delaware what they thought about Armanti Edwards

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2012, 07:36 AM

- ask any American just who is Armanti Edwards anyway and prepare yourself for blank stares

SpeedkingATL
December 23rd, 2012, 08:46 AM
- ask any American just who is Armanti Edwards anyway and prepare yourself for blank stares

Ask most Americans anything about FCS football and prepare yourself for blank stares.....

AppAlum2003
December 23rd, 2012, 08:48 AM

Being a 5' 11" QB from a small school, no doubt.

Congrats on your transfer who only went to Delaware because he couldn't get any PT at Pitt.

HailSzczur
December 23rd, 2012, 08:59 AM

We didn't think much of him.... Or your other transfer after him. I did think it was amusing reading back through these posts seeing Delaware fans touting Devlin and his NFL potential.

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Being a 5' 11" QB from a small school, no doubt.

Congrats on your transfer who only went to Delaware because he couldn't get any PT at Pitt.

your right, I wonder what Dave W was thinking?

caribbeanhen
December 23rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
We didn't think much of him.... Or your other transfer after him. I did think it was amusing reading back through these posts seeing Delaware fans touting Devlin and his NFL potential.

most Delaware fans are surprised he's even in the NFL

DJnva
December 23rd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Any thread on this subject has to have Heinicke in it.

Two seasons, 66 TD passes

THE HERD
December 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Rhett Bomar with SHSU in the Fargo Dome. That guy was crazy athletic for being that big and arm strength was off the charts, but then again he did play for Oklahoma. I just remember being astounded at how quick and fast he was for being 6'4" 225-230lbs! Is he still with the Giants?

blueballs
December 23rd, 2012, 03:25 PM

Wasn't he the guy that Jerry Moore hired to mow his grass? ;-)

Horseshoe App
December 23rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Armanti still kicked Delaware's a**:)

Grizalltheway
December 23rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Armanti in the best FCS game I've ever seen in person.xnodx

Big Dawg
December 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
Pat Bonner at FAMU back in 1998...dude was amazing

Big Dawg
December 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
Just found some stats on Pat Bonner from the 1998 season

He went 265-426 for 3,473 yards 37 TD's 7 INT's

He also led the nation's top offensive attack. The funny thing is he didn't take over starting duties until about Week 2 or 3. FAMU lost the opening game of the season 21-14 to Hampton...but went on to win 11 games in a row. Pat Bonner also led FAMU to it's first NCAA playoff victory(we beat Troy State in the 1st round) since winning the National Title in 1978.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
In my time as a GSU/FCS fan.

1. Armanti Edwards
2. Ricky Santos
3. Jayson Foster
4. Joe Flacco

HailSzczur
December 23rd, 2012, 08:15 PM
most Delaware fans are surprised he's even in the NFL

I remember watching him play in High School at Downingtown East, to say he embarrassed my alma mater was an understatement. He got a lot of his WR teammates scholarships that they didn't really deserve. He was a hell of a QB

citdog
December 23rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Frankie Debusk was pretty damn good too.

Boots Harvey
December 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Two of the best at the D-1AA/FCS level that I've personally seen play are Tracy Ham (GSU) & Armanti Edwards (App State). Currently, the Hienke kid at ODU is pretty good though, but too cocky & coudnt close the deal with a NC like Ham & Edwards. Santos good too. Oh yea, what about Mike Buck from Main? And, Jason Foster was just unreal to watch run for GSU.

813Jag
December 24th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Wasn't that impressed with McNair the game I saw him play. Bomar, Moses, or McCown would be the ones I would go with.
he had a horrible team around him. Every game they won was due to him.

813Jag
December 24th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Pat Bonner at FAMU back in 1998...dude was amazing
Bonner was a beast, those receivers (Nunnally and Lamb were terrors). Ottoman Sampson was nice too.

OL FU
December 24th, 2012, 07:02 AM
You mean this guy?

God I hate that video.

Ham was remarkable. Still after almost 30 years, it is difficult to believe that Furman stopped the ground game and a QB that averaged throwing the ball 4 times a game threw for 400 yards (plus or minus)

caribbeanhen
December 24th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Ask most Americans anything about FCS football and prepare yourself for blank stares.....

oh, I've already been there.... about 30 years ago

AmsterBison
December 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
So far it'd be Jerick McKinnon.

Kabooom
December 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Two players come to mind.

Best while playing in the FCS........as a Spread-Option type QB........Armanti Edwards(2009 in Missoula) Great game BTW...

Best Pro-style QB to play FCS that I saw was Joe Flacco.(2004 in Chatty)

Big Dawg
December 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Bonner was a beast, those receivers (Nunnally and Lamb were terrors). Ottoman Sampson was nice too.

Yeah...Billy Joe knew how to bring in solid QB's..Oteman Sampson, Pat Bonner, and JaJuan Seider were all great...Quinn Gray and Ben Dougherty were others who were excellent QB's

Panther88
December 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM

It would be e-z to think so since his OL didn't block worth a flip vs SHSU. I'd think a QB is only as great as his OL/RB/and WR corp is. I was @ that nationally televised game in the HSV. :-) Wasn't that a FIRST for SHSU, btw? One of several for "Air II" that year, if memory serves correct. Also, wasn't it a first for ANY former division I-aa player to receive actual heisman consideration? xsmhx

As my SWAC brethren have mentioned, there were numerous upon numerous SWAC legends who'd fit the billing over the duration. Seems like each SWAC school had a staple of many through the years. Those former Jag, Gram, and JState squads produced too many to list unconditionally lol.

Panther88
December 24th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Ask high schoolers from top traditional rich programs anything about FCS football and prepare yourself for even more blank stares...

Ask high schoolers from top traditional rich programs anything about SPECIFIC FCS football schools and prepare yourself for a bevy of responses.

344Johnson
December 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Mr. Rhett Bomar

UNHFan
December 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I know I am Bias but thought I would share this :) Santos and Flacco only FCS QB's to make the list
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/407906-the-top-50-college-quarterbacks-of-the-21st-century/page/8

Brad82
December 25th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I saw John Skelton,Mike Buck and Landers play.
Carried their teams. A cut above. By that I mean each was in top 1-10 in country.

ALPHAGRIZ1
December 25th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Dave Dickenson
Armanti Edwards
Jamie Martin
Jeff Lewis

If you dont mean live then:
Taylor Heinicke
Rich Gannon
Steve McNair
Ricky Santos
Willie Totten

HandoEX
December 25th, 2012, 07:13 PM
The best I've seen live was Matt Barr from Western Illinois. He was fantastic and a real winner. The last home game I I missed for the Bison was the 2007 SHSU game in Fargo, when most Bison fans agree that NDSU saw the best QB they've seen...Bomar.

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Bomar.......

Jaws wasnt bad either.

HandoEX
December 25th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Jaws was before the division was invented :)

Bisonoline
December 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Youre killing me!!!

UNH72Plus
December 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Ricky Santos - Didn't have the size, the speed, or the rifle for an arm, he just had a great sense for the game and knew how to win.
Joe Flacco - I saw him in a post season skills competition throw three successive passes of 70-75 yards.
Taylor Heinicke - Versus UNH - 55 completions for 730 yards, 5 TDs, and no Ints.
Armanti Edwards - Just an amazing athlete.

ysubigred
December 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Kurt Warner

ysubigred
December 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM

He palyed on the same YSU team with Al Bundy (Ed O'Neil). xbowx

ysubigred
December 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Phil Sims

ysubigred
December 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Steve McNair, hands down (for me)...watched him live on Chamberlain Field back in '94.

from the Sports Illustrated Archive...

The following week McNair sliced up Tennessee-Chattanooga with 647 yards and eight touchdown passes in a 54-28 Alcorn win for a Division I-AA single-game record for individual total offense, which was 171 yards better than No. 11 Alabama's team did against Chattanooga this year.

He had a bunch of yards the next week in Y-town but the outcome was just a bit different. YSU 63 - 20

phoenix3
December 26th, 2012, 10:41 AM
http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowldc/files/2012/07/douche.jpg

May be. El Cid has had their share of douches over the last decade as well. It's just that none of them were worth dog feces.

fmrbearkat
December 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM

Did you not ever see Dustin Long play? IMO he was a better pure passer than either Bomar or McCown and his numbers showed that. His receivers were nearly identical to McCowns but definately better than bomar's. both of those guys were athletic freaks though. McCown was a true 6'3-4" 220 lb and had a 40+ vert, ran a sub 4 second pro shuttle at his pro day and power cleaned 360lbs as a Qb. Bomar wasn't 6'4" as I saw a bison fan state. He was at most 6'2" but he was an amazing athlete. He didn't have the coaching or team around him that the other two had and that's the only reason he didn't take us to the playoffs. The reason McCown has had the NFL career he's had and the other two didn't was dedication. Both Bomar and Long partied way too much!

FormerPokeCenter
December 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
In person: Rhett Bomar of SHSU

I'm not being a homer here, but Derrick Fourroux was better - head to head - than either Rhett Bomar or Armanti Edwards when he played them.
l
I played against Bobby Hebert and while he wasn't bad in college, he got exponentially better in the pros. I'd rank him as simply better than average in college. While Stan Humphries has both an FCS title and a Super Bowl win, I thin he's another who got better once he got to the pros....

I'm not gonna offer him as the best QB I've seen play, but I'm gonna throw out former McNeese QB Stephen Starring as the best Athlete I've seen play in the FCS. 4.2 in the 40 and won the LJ, TJ and High hurdles at the Southland Conference Meet in 1983. In 1984, he went to the NFL and set a Superbowl record for most KO return yards. Meanwhile, also in 1984, the guy he beat in the LJ, TJ and Hurdles at the SLC meet (Al Joyner) went on to a fairly noteworthy accomplishment himself: Winning the gold medal in the TJ at the Los Angeles Olympics....and marrying Florence Griffith (Flo Jo).....Best running back I've seen in FCS?

Former KC Chiefs Rookie of the Year, Joe Delaney, but that's only because I never saw Payton play in the FCS....

ASUMountaineer
December 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Actually seen play in person:

1) Armanti Edwards
2) Joe Flacco
3) Jayson Foster
4) Richie Williams
5) Eric Ward
6) Scott Riddle
7) Ingle Martin

Apphole
December 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Best ever is arguable, but I don't think you can find a better single game performance than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q

Ivytalk
December 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick was the best Ivy QB I saw play. Never saw Dartmouth's Fiedler.

fatmonarch
December 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Best ever is arguable, but I don't think you can find a better single game performance than this

Heinicke's 791 yard game with 7 TDs and 0 ints against a playoff team?

clenz
December 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Eric Sanders

From his UNI bio when he was coaching

Sanders, who hails from Oelwein, Iowa, holds the FCS career record for completion percentage (69.59 percent).

Walter Payton Award Runner-Up - 2007
Gateway Offensive Player of the Year - 2007
Third Team All-American by Associated Press - 2007
Honorable Mention All-American by The Sports Network - 2007
Second Team All-American by CollegeSportsReport.com - 2005
First Team All-Gateway - 2007
Second Team All-Gateway - 2005, 2006
Gateway Freshman of the Year - 2004

Panther Point: Led the Panthers to 12 fourth-quarter/overtime victories in his career ... posted a 35-9 mark as a starter ... set the FCS career record for completion percentage (69.59 percent) ... threw one interception in his final 139 pass attempts ... joined the program as a walk-on - just like his head coach Mark Farley ... totaled an FCS-best 1,113 passing yards in the 2005 NCAA FCS playoffs on 87-of-127 passing, which included seven touchdowns.

He also completed 75.2 of his passes his senior season (315 attempts)

That while on a team that used a nearly 2:1 run pass ratio

GoBlueHens83
December 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM
1) Armanti Edwards
2) Ricky Santos
3) Joe Flacco
4) Taylor Heinicke

URMite
December 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
1) Armanti Edwards
2) Ricky Santos
3) Joe Flacco
4) Taylor Heinicke

No Rich Gannon? Still remember that 4th qtr in 1986...seemed like 3 4th qtr 4th down TDs...20-19...

URMite
December 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Best ever is arguable, but I don't think you can find a better single game performance than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RZt-Y2F9Q

I'm sure I can find a lot of them I like better! xblehx xbowx

Apphole
December 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Heinicke's 791 yard game with 7 TDs and 0 ints against a playoff team?

Richmond was a playoff team..

ASU/Richmond was a semi final game for us against a team that would win the national championship the following year. We played coastal this year and destroyed them. They are not a good team from what I saw. 2007 ASU would have scored 80 points on them.

7 TDS and 495 all-purpose yards for Armanti over the 2008 champion spiders compared to 7 TDs and 542 yards vs a bad Big South team.

2007 Edwards > 2012 Heinicke

GoBlueHens83
December 27th, 2012, 12:26 PM
No Rich Gannon? Still remember that 4th qtr in 1986...seemed like 3 4th qtr 4th down TDs...20-19...

.....I'm not that old. lol

fatmonarch
December 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Richmond was a playoff team..

ASU/Richmond was a semi final game for us against a team that would win the national championship the following year. We played coastal this year and destroyed them. They are not a good team from what I saw. 2007 ASU would have scored 80 points on them.

7 TDS and 495 all-purpose yards for Armanti over the 2008 champion spiders compared to 7 TDs and 542 yards vs a bad Big South team.

2007 Edwards > 2012 Heinicke

Heinickes game was against UNH not Coastal. UNH was a playoff team. So 791 all purpose yards and 7 tds >495 all purpose yards 7 tds. I was responding to finding a QB with a better game than Armantis game against Richmond. I don't know who was better. They were different style quarterbacks who both did what they were good at better than the other.

Wallace
December 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Seen a lot of them and I will still go with Santos

Apphole
December 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Heinickes game was against UNH not Coastal. UNH was a playoff team. So 791 all purpose yards and 7 tds >495 all purpose yards 7 tds. I was responding to finding a QB with a better game than Armantis game against Richmond. I don't know who was better. They were different style quarterbacks who both did what they were good at better than the other.

There you go again with the "against a playoff team" thing. App/UR '07 was a playoff game, a semi final game.

My mistake about choosing the wrong game. I agree it's hard to compare a passing QB to a duel threat like AE.

URMite
December 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
.....I'm not that old. lol

You didn't graduate in 1983? xlolx

GoBlueHens83
December 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM
You didn't graduate in 1983? xlolx

No, I'm only 27 lol.

URMite
December 27th, 2012, 02:55 PM
There you go again with the "against a playoff team" thing. App/UR '07 was a playoff game, a semi final game.

My mistake about choosing the wrong game. I agree it's hard to compare a passing QB to a duel threat like AE.

How about...

2007 - a dual threat QB against a team during the playoffs who had won 2 playoff games (1 at Wofford) and had held 8 of 13 opponents to 20 or less (but was now without 3 defensive starters)

VS

2012 - a passing QB against a team in the regular season who would hold 4 of 11 opponents to 20 or less and lose their 1st playoff game (at Wofford)

So yes too many variables, different QB styles and different opponents.

Mr. C
December 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not being a homer here, but Derrick Fourroux was better - head to head - than either Rhett Bomar or Armanti Edwards when he played them.
l
I played against Bobby Hebert and while he wasn't bad in college, he got exponentially better in the pros. I'd rank him as simply better than average in college. While Stan Humphries has both an FCS title and a Super Bowl win, I thin he's another who got better once he got to the pros....

I'm not gonna offer him as the best QB I've seen play, but I'm gonna throw out former McNeese QB Stephen Starring as the best Athlete I've seen play in the FCS. 4.2 in the 40 and won the LJ, TJ and High hurdles at the Southland Conference Meet in 1983. In 1984, he went to the NFL and set a Superbowl record for most KO return yards. Meanwhile, also in 1984, the guy he beat in the LJ, TJ and Hurdles at the SLC meet (Al Joyner) went on to a fairly noteworthy accomplishment himself: Winning the gold medal in the TJ at the Los Angeles Olympics....and marrying Florence Griffith (Flo Jo).....Best running back I've seen in FCS?

Former KC Chiefs Rookie of the Year, Joe Delaney, but that's only because I never saw Payton play in the FCS....

You've got to remember that when Fourroux and Edwards met head-to-head that Edwards was playing his first game after nearly slicing part of his foot off in the lawn-mowing accident. Edwards did make one of the most incredible throws I've ever seen a college player make in that ASU-McNeese State game, however. He was scrambling to the left (ASU) sideline near midfield and right before going out-of-bounds, threw against his body and hit Brian Quick with a laser on the opposite hash in the back of the end zone. The ball traveled about 60 yards in the air. McNeese's defensive back made a great play to strip Quick of the ball to keep it from being a highlight-reel touchdown (and ultimately saved the game for the Cowboys, as ASU didn't score on that drive in the second quarter and McNeese won on a field goal in the final seconds).

Fourroux was one of the top QBs in FCS when he played, but he wasn't Armanti Edwards.

McNeese75
December 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM
You've got to remember that when Fourroux and Edwards met head-to-head that Edwards was playing his first game after nearly slicing part of his foot off in the lawn-mowing accident. Edwards did make one of the most incredible throws I've ever seen a college player make in that ASU-McNeese State game, however. He was scrambling to the left (ASU) sideline near midfield and right before going out-of-bounds, threw against his body and hit Brian Quick with a laser on the opposite hash in the back of the end zone. The ball traveled about 60 yards in the air. McNeese's defensive back made a great play to strip Quick of the ball to keep it from being a highlight-reel touchdown (and ultimately saved the game for the Cowboys, as ASU didn't score on that drive in the second quarter and McNeese won on a field goal in the final seconds).

Fourroux was one of the top QBs in FCS when he played, but he wasn't Armanti Edwards.

Your right, that day he was BETTER

fatmonarch
December 27th, 2012, 07:58 PM

The whole playoff team thing was to show that it wasn't a chump team like Campbell. This game was UNH's only FCS loss until the last game of the regular season.

cbarrier90
December 27th, 2012, 08:27 PM

Todd Pendland won that game, not Farroux. I know this because after four years I still remember Todd Pendland's name.

Literally every. single. play. it seemed was a screen or a pass out into the flat for Pendland, and our secondary had absolutely no idea what was going on.

McNeese75
December 27th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Todd Pendland won that game, not Farroux. I know this because after four years I still remember Todd Pendland's name.

Literally every. single. play. it seemed was a screen or a pass out into the flat for Pendland, and our secondary had absolutely no idea what was going on.

Pendland did the most damage on 3rd down conversions. Between Fourroux, Pendland, the tight end Clark (6 rec for 137 yds) ASU's Defense was on its heels all day. (I was there as well by the way)

caribbeanhen
December 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM

flash in the pan, lets ask Armanti today if he would like to trade places with Flacco..... whaddya say Mr. negrep C ?

blueballs
December 28th, 2012, 02:48 AM
flash in the pan, lets ask Armanti today if he would like to trade places with Flacco..... whaddya say Mr. negrep C ?

Is the thread about FCS QB's or NFL QB's?

If it is about NFL QB's then the thread was over as soon as somebody mentioned Steve McNair and Kurt Warner. After all, they were MVP's and Super Bowl QB's- two things that have eluded Flacco.

caribbeanhen
December 28th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Is the thread about FCS QB's or NFL QB's?

If it is about NFL QB's then the thread was over as soon as somebody mentioned Steve McNair and Kurt Warner. After all, they were MVP's and Super Bowl QB's- two things that have eluded Flacco.

eluded Flacco or you eluded the question? So since we're off on tangents now, How did Adrian Peterson's NFL career go again? It seems that The Ravens have been in the playoffs every year since 2008 and last years Super Bowl trip derailed when a Ravens receiver dropped a perfectly thrown Flacco game winning TD pass in the EZ. Tough break.

and for Mr. C, As an FCS football fan. I don't really like the blank stares I receive when mentioning Armanti xconfusedx in company of other college football fans, but it's just true unfortunately so deal with it, and Yes, all these guys know who Flacco is by the way.xnodx

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Feel BETTER now?

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
eluded Flacco or you eluded the question? So since we're off on tangents now, How did Adrian Peterson's NFL career go again? It seems that The Ravens have been in the playoffs every year since 2008 and last years Super Bowl trip derailed when a Ravens receiver dropped a perfectly thrown Flacco game winning TD pass in the EZ. Tough break.

and for Mr. C, As an FCS football fan. I don't really like the blank stares I receive when mentioning Armanti xconfusedx in company of other college football fans, but it's just true unfortunately so deal with it, and Yes, all these guys know who Flacco is by the way.xnodx

You're discussion is focused on NFL QB's that aren't the best NFL QB's from the FCS level, duly noted.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I think it's implied that the discussion here is about college QBs and not how QBs have played in the NFL where there is less variety in the offenses and QBs are discouraged from scrambling in any capacity.

In 3 years both sCam Newton and RG3 will be sitting on some NFL team's bench, but would most college teams pick Flacco over either of them if they had a choice? No way.

ASUMountaineer
December 28th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I think it's implied that the discussion here is about college QBs and not how QBs have played in the NFL where there is less variety in the offenses and QBs are discouraged from scrambling in any capacity.

In 3 years both sCam Newton and RG3 will be sitting on some NFL team's bench, but would most college teams pick Flacco over either of them if they had a choice? No way.

We shall see...

blueballs
December 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM

I think Peterson played 9 years in the NFL, which is way above the career average for a RB, and he played in the Super Bowl.

Back to the subject at hand... of course more people who are NFL fans know who Flacco is than Edwards. That's not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is "Who is the best FCS QB you had seen play?" Perhaps for you, through your prism as a UD fan, it is Flacco (although I bet more UD fans will say Gannon). For many, many, more it is Edwards as he is a multiple title holder, multiple Payton winner, and probably headed for the Collge Football HOF one day.

Personally, I'd take Tracy Ham (College HOF class of 2007) over either one of them and twice on Sundays... Yes, I said Sundays, because you see, you can count the black QB's on one hand that were given a shot at the NFL in the mid 80's, and you can count the black QB's under 6' who were given a shot at the NFL on no hands in the mid 80's.

Now, as a GSU fan and somebody who has followed the division since 1984, IMO Edwards is the best opposing QB to play at Paulson Stadium since GSU joined the SoCon- and that includes Santos and Heineke. I never saw Flacco play in person, but from what I saw on TV he wasn't at Edwards' level as a collegiate player and nobody else in FCS was either during 06-09.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 28th, 2012, 04:18 PM
The NFL always being brought into these discussions is laughable. Who gives a **** if the thread is about FCS QB's? If the thread had said "Best FCS QB's NFL career" then I'd get it I guess.

Having discussions with people that don't know who Armanti is fine and all, you can't help it that people have a narrow focus and do not know him but this thread is on a board where we all do know of these peoples exploits so I'm not sure why that matters either.

Just so you all know the correct answer though, it was David Dickenson.

ASU_Fanatic
December 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM

QFT... honestly... never try to post again. I've never read something as asinine in my life

citdog
December 28th, 2012, 05:13 PM
QFT... honestly... never try to post again. I've never read something as asinine in my life

have you met Appaholic?

ASU_Fanatic
December 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM
have you met Appaholic?

no whos that

citdog
December 28th, 2012, 05:18 PM
no whos that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCXQnRBXoHg

ursus arctos horribilis
December 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
no whos that

That is sad. Not sad because of anything you've done but sad that Appa hasn't posted anything in a long enough period of time that could phrase could even be uttered.

He was a very entertaining poster. Dabbled in everything across the board and did so with an acumen for each category that few could match. He is also a good friend of many of ours that could take a joke and deliver one with vengence.

He was an all star in his day and truly one of the reasons I took to liking App so much. Without him on the boards the App fan base suffers as a whole. If he posted in a thread, you would go read it cuz it was gonna be good.xlolx