PDA

View Full Version : PL take note: Marist included in Princeton Review's Top 371 for 7th straight year

Go...gate
August 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
I don't want to start a war here, but....

I can't help thinking that at the end of the day, Fordham leaves, Marist joins, and that is that. No scholarships. They are certainly making a case for PL membership.

Seawolf97
August 3rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I don't want to start a war here, but....

I can't help thinking that at the end of the day, Fordham leaves, Marist joins, and that is that. No scholarships. They are certainly making a case for PL membership.

That would not be good for you guys at all

TheValleyRaider
August 3rd, 2009, 08:03 PM
Top 371 is a far cry from Patriot League quality, especially in the minds of PL Presidents, I would guess

Not saying, just saying xpeacex

dgreco
August 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I agree, a lot of schools make the Princeton Review 371 and for many years and many years longer than Marist. While I think Marist is one of only a hand full of schools who go to the PL this has little weight.

Go...gate
August 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I hope you are right, Valley. A lot of my faith in the PL leadership has drained away with the gutless way they have handled this issue.

DFW HOYA
August 3rd, 2009, 08:20 PM

I don't think they want that. If so, they would have shown Fordham the door this summer.

I think there are a number of schools ahead of Marist, that ought to receive consideration, except the PL doesn't think that far ahead.

Husky Alum
August 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
FWIW, I'm sure Northeastern is higher than Marist.

RichH2
August 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
PL already stated talks w a # of schools but til economy picks up all on hold

Go...gate
August 3rd, 2009, 10:42 PM
FWIW, I'm sure Northeastern is higher than Marist.

Agreed.

crusader11
August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Much rather have Northeastern than Marist. But, ultimately, let's go scholarships and get William and Mary and Richmond in the PL (as all sport members).

TheValleyRaider
August 4th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I hope you are right, Valley. A lot of my faith in the PL leadership has drained away with the gutless way they have handled this issue.

Well, I certainly share your lack of confidence in PL leadership. But, I do feel that I am on solid ground saying that any interest between Marist and the PL is strictly a one-way street. I'll let you guess which way that is xsmiley_wix

PL already stated talks w a # of schools but til economy picks up all on hold

Does anyone know who some of those schools may be?

Go...gate
August 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM
In Colgate's case, losing Chopp did not help, either.

Dane96
August 4th, 2009, 07:45 AM
No matter who is ranked where...the Princenton Review is a joke. There is a reason most schools have had deans, presidents, trustees, etc....from HIGHLY ranked schools...complain.

They walk around...pick 100 random students and give them "loaded" questions to come up with their results. In my previous life, we worked hand-in-hand with the Princeton Review people.

Husky Alum
August 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
No matter who is ranked where...the Princenton Review is a joke. There is a reason most schools have had deans, presidents, trustees, etc....from HIGHLY ranked schools...complain.

They walk around...pick 100 random students and give them "loaded" questions to come up with their results. In my previous life, we worked hand-in-hand with the Princeton Review people.

I got a sneak preview of NU's report from the Princeton Review, and D96 is right, it's a joke.

One thing they listed (at least in the close to final draft I saw) was one of NU's strengths was our Athletic Facilities.

Right, that's because the 100 kids they surveyed didn't know we had a football team and couldn't find Parsons Field with a GPS and a subway map.

DetroitFlyer
August 4th, 2009, 08:35 AM

A bit harsh.... What ranking is not a joke? US News & World Reports? If you ever looked at the criteria they used, you could certainly make the argument that those rankings are a joke as well. Maybe we should just have AGS members vote, because we all know that the most accurate poll on the planet happens right here....

The Princeton Review is just another attempt at ranking schools. No one is perfect, so if you are smart, you do not use a single ranking to decide which school is best.

In my heart and soul, I firmly believe that Dayton is the best school in the land, bar none. Of course I may be just a bit biased, but given the choice of Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Dayton, I would send my kids to Dayton! (One is already an alum, and could have attended at least one of the previously mentioned schools).

Most intellegent folks use any of these rankings as a reference. When it comes down to choosing a school, it is obvious that MANY folks, for whatever reasons, seem to ignore the rankings and attend the school of their choice.

Frankly, I have a great deal of respect for schools that basically do not participate in the ranking process. My school, UD, is VERY focused on rankings and that worries me....

Dane96
August 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Not a bit harsh-- I worked for and with them.

And if you firmly believe that Dayton is the best school in the land, bar none...you need you need to do some reevaluating. And that isnt being harsh...that is commonsense.

colorless raider
August 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Much rather have Northeastern than Marist. But, ultimately, let's go scholarships and get William and Mary and Richmond in the PL (as all sport members).

I am with you and perhaps 'nova as well.:)

DetroitFlyer
August 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Not a bit harsh-- I worked for and with them.

And if you firmly believe that Dayton is the best school in the land, bar none...you need you need to do some reevaluating. And that isnt being harsh...that is commonsense.

Too bad that you obviously do not feel the same way about your school.... I stand by my thoughts on Dayton 100%!

LUHawker
August 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Too bad that you obviously do not feel the same way about your school.... I stand by my thoughts on Dayton 100%!

You are clearly demonstrating exactly how objective you really are with all things Dayton.

Dane96
August 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM

No...you see, I live in the real world where people dont perceive an Albany education on the same level as...oh...Stanford, Harvard, etc. Now, I busted my arse and am succesful and I think Albany prepared me for that....but there is no way I am stupid enough to say that the quality of professors at Albany is the same of that, on a generalized scale, as Harvard.

I wouldnt trade my time at Albany for a thing (other than being a stud athlete at a Top 10 football school...but that is more for social reasons)...but I am realistic.

JD51
August 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM
No way I could see it happening at this point. Marist seems to be making great efforts to improve academically, but any inclusion in PL membership would probably eliminate any further discussion of football scholarships. Marist’s endowment is significantly lower than any PL school making it extremely difficult for them to be a serious contender academically and athletically. As much as I hate to admit it, other than size and geography, the fit just isn’t right. Then again, there doesn’t seem to be any easy fit for PL expansion.

Perhaps someday. For now we’ll be content with the few OOC games against PL opponents.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2009, 02:28 PM
IMO, it would only happen if the PL can't get its act together on scholarships. Unfortunately, to date the PL has not shown that it CAN get its act together on this issue.

bostonspider
August 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I think that if the PL gets its act together on scholarships, and JMU, ODU and UD ever make the move to FBS, then there would be a very good chance UR, W&M and VU would strongly consider affiliating with the PL for football. That would be a pretty nice conference, maybe with two divisions

North
Colgate
Holy Cross
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh

South
Bucknell
Villanova
Georgetown
Richmond
William & Mary

Ivytalk
August 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Bill O'Reilly went to Marist. 'Nuff said!xcoolx

OLPOP
August 4th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, he was a punter.

tribe_pride
August 4th, 2009, 03:20 PM

I think that if the PL gets its act together on scholarships, and JMU, ODU and UD ever make the move to FBS, then there would be a very good chance UR, W&M and VU would strongly consider affiliating with the PL for football. That would be a pretty nice conference, maybe with two divisions

North
Colgate
Holy Cross
Fordham
Lafayette
Lehigh

South
Bucknell
Villanova
Georgetown
Richmond
William & Mary

Leave us out of your Patriot League discussions. We are not leaving the CAA anywhere close to the near future. Bostonspider - there is no way we could be part of the PL for football if we are in the CAA for other sports. And there is no way I see all 3 UD, JMU and ODU moving up to FCS anytime soon. What conference are they going to join?

Model Citizen
August 4th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Top 371 is a far cry from Patriot League quality, especially in the minds of PL Presidents, I would guess

Not saying, just saying xpeacex

If you are implying that someone ranked Marist #371, you're mistaken. There are 371 schools listed in the book. Schools that would arguably rate much higher than #371 were not included because PR got a poor response to its student surveys.

The rankings are mostly for categories such as best dorms and worst food. Silly stuff.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yes, he was a punter.

Doesn't he still hold their punting record?

TheValleyRaider
August 4th, 2009, 04:27 PM
If you are implying that someone ranked Marist #371, you're mistaken. There are 371 schools listed in the book. Schools that would arguably rate much higher than #371 were not included because PR got a poor response to its student surveys.

The rankings are mostly for categories such as best dorms and worst food. Silly stuff.

Don't worry, I know Marist is not #371. I'm a local, Marist in the rankings rates as front-page news for the Poughkeepsie Journal :D

My point was that merely being included in the rankings is unlikely to impress Presidents from PL schools, especially being that Marist (while generally rising through the years) was starting at a low position to begin with. Just making it into the top 371, and especially only having done so for less than a decade, is unlikely to impress decision-makers from a group like the Patriot League (especially when, as you so rightly point out, these are based on rankings of somewhat ridiculous factors in the first place)

bostonspider
August 4th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Leave us out of your Patriot League discussions. We are not leaving the CAA anywhere close to the near future. Bostonspider - there is no way we could be part of the PL for football if we are in the CAA for other sports. And there is no way I see all 3 UD, JMU and ODU moving up to FCS anytime soon. What conference are they going to join?

Well JMU is spending $62M on their stadium, and ODU has plans to eventually replace all the sideline seating at Foreman Field. Those plans lead me to believe that those two schools are not planning on staying LONG TERM in FCS. I am not talking the near future, but long term. UD has plans to also replace their stadium. It appears to me that these schools, as well as Georgia State, are thinking a little larger than the current CAA. I am not sure how that will play out, but from my understading of W&M, I just do not see the same ambitions. I do not see it for UR or VU either, nor for many of the northern schools of the CAA Football Conference. As to what conference they will join, who knows what it is, but take those 3 schols plus Georgia State, and maybe App State and you have the kernel of a conference. Add in some of the more eastern C-USA or Sunbelt schools, and maybe you have an eastern/southeastern WAC.

But back to the PL, if they were to add scholarships, they would seem to have a greater similarity to UR, VU and W&M than what would be left from the CAA if the schools mentioned take off for the FBS, which might lead to the implosion of the CAA Football Conference.

crusader11
August 4th, 2009, 07:52 PM
In my heart and soul, I firmly believe that Dayton is the best school in the land, bar none.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
In my heart and soul, I firmly believe that Dayton is the best school in the land, bar none. Of course I may be just a bit biased, but given the choice of Harvard, Yale, Princeton or Dayton, I would send my kids to Dayton! (One is already an alum, and could have attended at least one of the previously mentioned schools).

LOL....xlolx

I've heard some absurd proclamations but this one may very well take the cake.

Husky Alum
August 5th, 2009, 07:21 AM
In my heart and soul, I firmly believe that Dayton is the best school in the land, bar none.

To paraphrase a campaign slogan from 1964...

In his heart he may be right.

In your guts, you know he's nuts....

xbowxxbowxxbowxxwhistlexxwhistlexxcoffeex

Tribe4SF
August 5th, 2009, 09:23 AM
To paraphrase a campaign slogan from 1964...

In his heart he may be right.

In your guts, you know he's nuts....

xbowxxbowxxbowxxwhistlexxwhistlexxcoffeex

Tell 'em, HA!

HA knows what "the best school in the land" is, and it ain't Dayton....it's W&M!!!:D

TheValleyRaider
August 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Doesn't he still hold their punting record?

For their club team, I think. The D-I varsity squad is still relatively new

Seahawks Fan
August 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Bill O'Reilly went to Marist. 'Nuff said!xcoolx

So that would make the PL fair and balanced? xlolxxlolx

Go...gate
August 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
So that would make the PL fair and balanced? xlolxxlolx

Oh, my God, I can see it now in the media: "Patriot League Commissioner Sean Hamnity today blasted the league's Presidents, calling them "pointy-headed liberal intellectuals".

Lehigh Football Nation
August 5th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I think the latest CSN article on media day removes any doubts that there is a clamor for football scholarships from all athletic quarters.

Look for more on my blog as well.

Go...gate
August 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think the latest CSN article on media day removes any doubts that there is a clamor for football scholarships from all athletic quarters.

Read the article and agree. Femovich has the message - now it is a question of what the schools will do.

Husky Alum
August 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Tell 'em, HA!

HA knows what "the best school in the land" is, and it ain't Dayton....it's W&M!!!:D

If they're not going to Yale, my girls are going to W&M (they just don't know it yet).

ngineer
August 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM

Unfortunately, the PL Presidents don't live in those quarters....

Tribe4SF
August 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM
If they're not going to Yale, my girls are going to W&M (they just don't know it yet).

And I stand ready to pen the rec letters!xthumbsupx

98hoya
August 5th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Doesn't Marist have an endowment of something like $24m (and I think that was BEFORE the financial meltdown)?

If so, how could they compete in the PL? G'town, even with a billion dollar endowment has trouble financing a PL football program. Is it merely a question or priorities, or would Marist's rather profound cash shortage be a problem?

98hoya
August 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Make that a $22m endowment for Marist. Their entire war chest would almost build 1/3 of Richmond's new stadium...

http://education.yahoo.com/college/facts/7322.html

Franks Tanks
August 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Make that a $22m endowment for Marist. Their entire war chest would almost build 1/3 of Richmond's new stadium...

No way Richmond's new stadium costs 66 million. It only has 9k seats!

bostonspider
August 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
true, UR's stadium is in the $25M range. Maybe he was thinking of the JMU expansion, which is costing $62M I think...

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 09:47 AM

Did not realize it was that small.

hvsader
August 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Marist has a very impressive new stadium. They would welcome membership in the PL, while Fordham has vacated now in two major sports. They would be competitive in basketball for sure, and eventually football ... they recruit well in NY Metro

bostonspider
August 6th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Stadium does look nice, sort of like like 1/2 of the new UR Stadium.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/mari/graphics/tenneyStadium08-640.jpg

Go...gate
August 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
It is a very nice ballpark.