View Full Version : Mickey Matthews talks JMU football

BDKJMU
August 3rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
http://augustafreepress.com/2009/08/03/mickey-matthews-talks-jmu-football/

BDKJMU
August 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Just posted on the CAA Zone:

From Mike Barber of the Harrisonburg Daily News Record Twitter:

"Syracuse transfer DL Lamar Middleton is enrolled at JMU but still not eligible for football. Coaches are unsure if he'll practice Aug. 10."

"NCAA has ruled Army transfer defensive lineman Nick Emmons must sit out this season for JMU's football team. Emmons will play in 2010."

CrunchGriz
August 3rd, 2009, 06:38 PM
http://augustafreepress.com/2009/08/03/mickey-matthews-talks-jmu-football/

Nice to hear Mickey give Montana props in this piece. His comments about "never seen a game where a team never had to punt and lost" after the game sounded a bit like sour grapes, but here he admits it was two good teams getting after it last year, not a fluke win by the Griz.

...and turnovers are a big part of the game, and the Griz were forcing them that evening, not being handed them.

I expect the Dukes to be a load again this year, especially if they can shore up their defense a bit. I don't expect the offense to dip much if at all. As Mickey says, he thinks they have a chance to be even better offensively this year than last. When you have a Rodney Landers, you can lean on him a bit too much at times. More balance is harder still to defend.

Uncle Buck
August 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
You'll never here him sandbagging, that's for certain.

BDKJMU
August 3rd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Nice to hear Mickey give Montana props in this piece. His comments about "never seen a game where a team never had to punt and lost" after the game sounded a bit like sour grapes, but here he admits it was two good teams getting after it last year, not a fluke win by the Griz.

...and turnovers are a big part of the game, and the Griz were forcing them that evening, not being handed them.

I expect the Dukes to be a load again this year, especially if they can shore up their defense a bit. I don't expect the offense to dip much if at all. As Mickey says, he thinks they have a chance to be even better offensively this year than last. When you have a Rodney Landers, you can lean on him a bit too much at times. More balance is harder still to defend.

On the kickoffs the only reason a returner should ever fumble is if he gets totally jacked where he's literally horizontal. A de-cleater. One of those once a yr or a couple of times a year hits. I would agree with you IF that was the case. But neither of those 2 fumbled kickoffs was that the case. Was more poor ball security on the part of a 4th yr junior AA return man (Scotty McGee on the 1st one) and a 4th yr senior on the 2nd one.

On the 3rd turnover after JMU drove right down the field (after getting the FG and TD on their 1st 2 drives) Landers wasn't touched when he fumbled at the 8. Looked like it just sliped out of his hand after pulling it back in on the read option.

The next (4th and last drive of the 1st half) drive was when Landers got hurt and later on Didzick threw a bad pass that the Montana db made a nice play on inside the Montana 10. That was the only turnover you could call forced. But that one didn't hurt as bad as the other 3.

When you lose the TO battle 4-0 you're not going to beat another good team, and you don't deserve to either, esp when its you're senior and AA players turning it over. JMU coming into the Montana game was +9 on the season and had been doing pretty well in that area before Montana. It happened to JMU in 07' with 1 pt, 3 pt, and 1 pt losses to 3 of the final 4 teams in UR, UD and ASU, losing the TO battle a combined 10-4 in those games (and was -6 on the season). At least then it was mostly freshman & sophmores turning the ball over.

I know MM won't tolerate the turnovers anymore, esp with the tailbacks. Last season one of the TBs Sullivan (famous fumble against ASU in the 07' playoffs) fumbled against UMass and didn't get a carry the next 2 games. Later in the season he fumbled against UD and didn't get a carry the next gameagainst W&M (despite the backups getting ample time). That I imagine will be the case with JMU's top 3 tailbacks this season. Fumble and you go to the back of the line.

I hope when JMU gets beat this season (both regular season and hopefully playoffs) I hope it won't be in a close game where they lost the TO battle.

89Hen
August 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
"Syracuse transfer DL Lamar Middleton is enrolled at JMU but still not eligible for football.

"NCAA has ruled Army transfer defensive lineman Nick Emmons must sit out this season
What kind of transfers are you taking at JMU?? xeyebrowx xconfusedx

grizzpaw
August 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
let's not forget the 2 plays THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN OVERTURNED!

mcveyrl
August 4th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Not the good kind it doesn't look like.

I think Emmons was a rule technicality issue, but I don't know for sure.

let's not forget the 2 plays THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN OVERTURNED!

Those were fairly inconsequential. We were far enough behind that they didn't matter, really. FWIW, I don't think the catch was a catch, but I don't think Dudzik got in either.

Why all caps after you won??? xeyebrowxxconfusedx

GannonFan
August 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Not the good kind it doesn't look like.

Those were fairly inconsequential. We were far enough behind that they didn't matter, really. FWIW, I don't think the catch was a catch, but I don't think Dudzik got in either.

Why all caps after you won??? xeyebrowxxconfusedx

Yeah, only one play should've been overturned, but it didn't matter.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM

The Cuse DL had to take classes this summer at Blue Ridge Community College I heard.

The Army transfer apparently started 4 games as a soph and last season started the 1st 2 games in losses to Temple and UNH. He was listed as the starter in their 3rd game vs Akron, but DNP in that and the rest of the season. Not sure if he got injured or left the team. As far as I know, as soon as you step foot in a classroom at the academies your junior year you owe military time. Maybe that is the issue. Or maybe its if he had a whole semester or year off he isn't academically eligible. I don't know. Regardless, at the service academies they don't redshirt players. Some do a year at the military prep schools, as Emmons did. but they don't count as a year of eligibility. So for the Army transfer I guess this will count as a redshirt year.

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1146304

(Page 10 of the below player profiles for thei 3rd game vs Akron):
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/11100//Football%20Bios_2008/08%20Player%20Bios.pdf

Near the bottom of the 08' Army stats under defensive stats it lists Nick Emmons, games played, 2.
http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=60213&SPID=4587&DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1568126

Regardless, hopefully he plays for JMU in 2010. Sounds like at 6'4", 265 he could play De end or D Tackle, and JMU will have to replace 2 All CAA D-lineman in Sam Daniels and Arthur Moats

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Turnovers or not - the JMU could nto stop the Griz offense if their life depended on it

Lest we forget the score was 35-17 - which is a near blowout - before we opened the door again with that safety.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Harrisonburg Daily News Record
Dukes Idle, Others Gear Up

NOTES: The NCAA has ruled Army transfer defensive end Nick Emmons must sit out this season for the Dukes, Matthews said. The coach cited privacy reasons and said he couldn't elaborate. He said Emmons will attend classes this year at JMU and be part of the program, but can't play until 2010. ... Also, Matthews said Syracuse transfer defensive lineman Lamar Middleton is enrolled at JMU but is not yet eligible to join the Dukes.

As far as the rest of the article, it sucks that JMU will have only 2 weeks of summer practice before classes start Aug 24xeekx damn thats early! Then 3 weeks of one a days before MD on Sept 12. The writer made it sound like the 1st week NCAA mandated no live tackling "acclimation period" was only one practice a day. I believe thats still 2 practices a day, just not the normal full pads two a days.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=39689&CHID=3&sub=

Dukie95
August 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Turnovers or not - the JMU could nto stop the Griz offense if their life depended on it.

Except for those two punts and missed FG.

Forced or not, the turnovers ensured Montana had a short field for much of the game. Montana wasn't sucessful if they started a drive beyond their own 38, which only happened 4 times (granted one was the end of the first half).

Starting position and result for Montana

38 TD
opp 15 TD
26 FGA
8 PUNT
2 HALF
44 TD
opp 34 TD
40 TD
3 SAF
22 PUNT
opp 41 HALF

Whatever, it's over now anyway, isn't it?

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
You'll never here him sandbagging, that's for certain.

Or "at a loss for words."

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Turnovers or not - the JMU could nto stop the Griz offense if their life depended on it

Lest we forget the score was 35-17 - which is a near blowout - before we opened the door again with that safety.

Give me a break. Grizz got 2 TDs off the fumbled kickoffs. 2 other times got the ball at the end of the half (23 seconds) and game (52 seconds, take a knee). The other 7 times with the ball were
-3 TD drives
-Missed 45 yd FG
-3 punts (one was safety)

Now if JMU could not have stopped the Grizz "if their life depended on it" as you claim, the Grizz wouldn't have been punting 3 times. They would have scored 3 more TDs and scored in the 50s.

When one teams defense can't stop another's that team will score in the 50s or 60s, not the 30s. Way to exaggerate.

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Give me a break. Grizz got 2 TDs off the fumbled kickoffs. 2 other times got the ball at the end of the half (23 seconds) and game (52 seconds, take a knee). The other 7 times with the ball were
-3 TD drives
-Missed 45 yd FG
-3 punts (one was safety)

Now if JMU could not have stopped the Grizz "if their life depended on it" as you claim, the Grizz wouldn't have been punting 3 times. They would have scored 3 more TDs and scored in the 50s.

When one teams defense can't stop another's that team will score in the 50s or 60s, not the 30s. Way to exaggerate.

3 times in the entire football game sure ain't bad - one of which times they shouldn't have even been punting (the 3rd & long catch in the 4th).

Even with 2 offers from the officials JMU couldn't get it done. You guys act like you were playing a D-II team. Turnovers are part of the game. Your defense folded like a cheap suit. You got 2 BS calls your way. You lost. At home. In the playoffs. To the Big Sky. Get over it.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 12:12 PM

If this Twitter update from 4 hrs ago that was posted on the CAAZone JMU page is correct. It claims former VT signee Peter Rose is coming to JMU.
http://twitter.com/lancerline

He would definitely be one of the most hyped freshman ever to land at JMU. He possibly could be an immediate impact player (as long as he stays out of trouble), though he didn't play last yr.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, as this hasn't been confirmed in any media or by JMU that he's coming, and I know anything on Twitter should be taken with a grain of salt.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
3 times in the entire football game sure ain't bad - one of which times they shouldn't have even been punting (the 3rd & long catch in the 4th).

Even with 2 offers from the officials JMU couldn't get it done. You guys act like you were playing a D-II team. Turnovers are part of the game. Your defense folded like a cheap suit. You got 2 BS calls your way. You lost. At home. In the playoffs. To the Big Sky. Get over it.

I beg to differ on those calls. They could have been ruled either way.

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I beg to differ on those calls. They could have been ruled either way.

Conclusive evidence. That's the rule. Conclusive.

mcveyrl
August 4th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Conclusive evidence. That's the rule. Conclusive.

Dude! You won, we lost. That's your trump card. That's all you gotta say. Then leave it alone. Either way, it didn't matter.

jmufan999
August 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
[Mickey's] comments about "never seen a game where a team never had to punt and lost" after the game sounded a bit like sour grapes

well, have YOU ever heard of that? don't know that it should ever have been taken that way, i certainly have never heard of a team never punting and losing either.

what i think is even more impressive is losing the turnover battle 0-4....

...and still only losing by 8. most teams would have lost by 30 with that margin. oh and 17 points put up in the second half by our backup QB. considering all that, not bad.

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Dude! You won, we lost. That's your trump card. That's all you gotta say. Then leave it alone. Either way, it didn't matter.

Off-season is slow come on.

Eight Legger
August 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Just posted on the CAA Zone:

From Mike Barber of the Harrisonburg Daily News Record Twitter:

"Syracuse transfer DL Lamar Middleton is enrolled at JMU but still not eligible for football. Coaches are unsure if he'll practice Aug. 10."

"NCAA has ruled Army transfer defensive lineman Nick Emmons must sit out this season for JMU's football team. Emmons will play in 2010."

You guys are taking transfers from Syracuse? Isn't that a step down for them?

tribefootballfan
August 4th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Why is it the only reason that JMU gets beat is T.O. Almost any team that holds on to the ball has a better chance to win?? But nobody can beat JMU the give the game away with turn overs.

bpcats
August 4th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I thought that JMU had the best offensive line that I saw all season. They were all very big and very athletic. They were carving up UM defense which was pretty solid all year long.

Dudzik was an effective quarterback for that system and should keep them rolling.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Why is it the only reason that JMU gets beat is T.O. Almost any team that holds on to the ball has a better chance to win?? But nobody can beat JMU the give the game away with turn overs.

Its just the last 4 I-AA losses 07'-08':

07'
lost to semifinalist UR .....17-16. Lost TO battle 3-2
lost to finalist UD ............37-34. Lost TO Battle 4-0
lost to NC ASU 1st round 28-27. Lost the TO battle 3-2
08'
lost semis to Montana ....35-27. Lost the TO battle 4-0.

Turnovers 14-4 in those 4 close losses to an NC, 2 other finalists, and a semifinalist. You'd be that frustrated too. No one else in the country has probably ever had similar happen to them:
-turnovers being that lopsided in 4 close losses
-your only 4 (I-AA) losses
-to final 4 teams
-over a 2 season span.

If the same thing had happened to W&M you'd be feeling the same way.

tribefootballfan
August 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Just saying that every time JMU gets beat, its the T.Os that beat them not the other team??

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I thought that JMU had the best offensive line that I saw all season. They were all very big and very athletic. They were carving up UM defense which was pretty solid all year long.

Dudzik was an effective quarterback for that system and should keep them rolling.

Dudzick isn't the frontrunner right now according to Matthews, Dustin Thorpe is. He could be RL2 (Rodney Landers 2) in a year or 2. Not this yr though, as he is just a rFr. Matthews he plans to play both QBs against Maryland.

At least its good to know if one goes down during the season JMU won't be screwed.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Just saying that every time JMU gets beat, its the T.Os that beat them not the other team??

Both.

Even the Duke game 14-7 at the half. 2nd half opens with McGee having a 60 some yd kick return. Few plays later Landers throws a god awful pass that gets picked by an LB returned 60 some yards to JMU's 20 something, which leads to a Duke TD which makes it 21-7. Next offensive play Landers fumbles deep in JMU territory, leads to a Duke TD, 28-7. In the 4th, ball game already over, JMU drives down field, Landers fumbled at the 8. MM actually yanked Landers for Dudzick that game (Landers did have a 40 some yard TD run). Landers worst game of the season. 31-7 final. Without the TOs Duke probably still wins, but a much closer game.

So JMU's last 5 losses they are a whopping -13 (17-4) in the TO margin. Its both the TOs and the other team that beats them.

I would just like JMU to lose a game where they don't lose the TO battle.xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 01:20 PM
The Cuse DL had to take classes this summer at Blue Ridge Community College I heard.

The Army transfer apparently started 4 games as a soph and last season started the 1st 2 games in losses to Temple and UNH. He was listed as the starter in their 3rd game vs Akron, but DNP in that and the rest of the season. Not sure if he got injured or left the team. As far as I know, as soon as you step foot in a classroom at the academies your junior year you owe military time. Maybe that is the issue. Or maybe its if he had a whole semester or year off he isn't academically eligible. I don't know. Regardless, at the service academies they don't redshirt players. Some do a year at the military prep schools, as Emmons did. but they don't count as a year of eligibility. So for the Army transfer I guess this will count as a redshirt year.

http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1146304

(Page 10 of the below player profiles for thei 3rd game vs Akron):
https://admin.xosn.com/fls/11100//Football%20Bios_2008/08%20Player%20Bios.pdf

Near the bottom of the 08' Army stats under defensive stats it lists Nick Emmons, games played, 2.
http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=60213&SPID=4587&DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1568126

Regardless, hopefully he plays for JMU in 2010. Sounds like at 6'4", 265 he could play De end or D Tackle, and JMU will have to replace 2 All CAA D-lineman in Sam Daniels and Arthur Moats

From a JMU poster on the CAA zone:
"From what I've heard Army messed up the paperwork or turned something in late which is why Emmons will have to sit out. Apparently the decision is being appealed and there's a possibility that he could play half the season but not likely."

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 01:22 PM

Looks that way. From a JMU poster on the CAA zone:
"From what I've heard Army messed up the paperwork or turned something in late which is why Emmons will have to sit out. Apparently the decision is being appealed and there's a possibility that he could play half the season but not likely."

Dukie95
August 4th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Well, had we lost the UR and Nova games last year, we wouldn't have said the same thing... And that wasn't the case when we lost to CCU or App St. in 05.

We can't say for sure if any one turnover was forced or not, but the fact remains our most recent FCS losses have included some really painful turnovers in what turned out to be really close games in the end.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
If this Twitter update from 4 hrs ago that was posted on the CAAZone JMU page is correct. It claims former VT signee Peter Rose is coming to JMU.

He would definitely be one of the most hyped freshman ever to land at JMU. He possibly could be an immediate impact player (as long as he stays out of trouble), though he didn't play last yr.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here, as this hasn't been confirmed in any media or by JMU that he's coming, and I know anything on Twitter should be taken with a grain of salt.

Sweet for you guys! How come he didn't enroll at VT?

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Oh come on, I bet you know why. Don't play stupid-You have internet access. xrolleyesx

Cue the JMU bashing in 4,3,2,1...

mcveyrl
August 4th, 2009, 02:19 PM

In case this isn't a rhetorical question, he was arrested on two drug charges (felonies because he was selling on school property) in May. I do not know what happened after the charges were brought, but I'm guessing that they got knocked back down to misdemeanors (the amount he sold only qualified as a misdemeanor, but the fact that he was selling at school made it a felony).

EDIT: Nevermind. He was convicted on the felonies. I haven't followed this very closely. He got 30 days, 15 suspended.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
In case this isn't a rhetorical question, he was arrested on two drug charges (felonies because he was selling on school property) in May. I do not know what happened after the charges were brought, but I'm guessing that they got knocked back down to misdemeanors (the amount he sold only qualified as a misdemeanor, but the fact that he was selling at school made it a felony).

EDIT: Nevermind. He was convicted on the felonies. I haven't followed this very closely. He got 30 days, 15 suspended.

He was not selling on school property.
http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/lynchburg/article/former_high_school_football_star_pleads_guilty_to_ drug_charges/25495/
Not excusing/defending his actions here, but for the sake of clarity. He was selling a 1/4 bag of marijuana ($50) which is a misdemeaner. The fed law for a felony is any amount (even as little as one joint) within 1,000 ft of a school. He was about 700 feet away from the school measured in a straight line. His lawyer argued that was hogwash because to get to the school from there you would have to cross a field and climb 2 fences, and the measurement should be the distance traveling road, which was about 1,500 feet away from the school when the crimes occurred.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/162615

This was big enough to make ESPN when it happened:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3401538
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3403487

Out To Lunch
August 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Felony or misdemeanor, I'm surprised it was a problem for Tech.

mcveyrl
August 4th, 2009, 03:07 PM
He was not selling on school property.
http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/lynchburg/article/former_high_school_football_star_pleads_guilty_to_ drug_charges/25495/
Not excusing/defending his actions here, but for the sake of clarity. He was selling a 1/4 bag of marijuana ($50) which is a misdemeaner. The fed law for a felony is any amount (even as little as one joint) within 1,000 ft of a school. He was about 700 feet away from the school measured in a straight line. His lawyer argued that was hogwash because to get to the school from there you would have to cross a field and climb 2 fences, and the measurement should be the distance traveling road, which was about 1,500 feet away from the school when the crimes occurred.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtfootball/wb/162615

Yea, I read the story too fast.

Also, for clarity's sake, it's also a state law and he wasn't charged with a federal offense as his case was in state court.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 03:11 PM

From the JMU page of the CAAZone. Now Mike barber, the Harrisonburg Daily News Record beat writer has tweeted: "Former Amherst quarterback Peter Rose will enroll at JMU and be with the Dukes for the first day of practice Monday, he says."
http://twitter.com/VaSportspen

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Recruiting profile:
http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=59279&sport=1
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=49491

One thing I'm sure that factored into JMU taking him was his older brother Jonathon Rose will be a redshirt sophmore for JMU and Matthews does know the family. Jonathon was moved from tailback to safety in the Spring. Jonathon should certainly be on the 2 deep, and who knows, could be starting for JMU this season. This is Peter's 2nd chance. Hopefully he doesn't screw it up.

The 3rd brother, Anthony, might be the best one of them all, but he might end up at a BCS:
http://virginiatech.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=88963

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Former Amherst Star Picks JMU
http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=39697&CHID=3

Silenoz
August 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Hmm, that goes for a lot (or all) teams

Cal Poly and App State both lost at home because of turnovers

Montana lost the turnover battle against Weber and Richmond, and lost both games convincingly. The only other game where our margin was negative was against D2 Central Washington, and we barely won that one

bleedblue
August 4th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Selling drugs? Man that does not sound good. I wonder what are the chances this guy makes another bad decision in the next 4 years? Sounds like he's a player and a potential nightmare. Good luck.

JmuSkinsfan
August 4th, 2009, 06:37 PM
He is an athlete and I doubt we'll play him at QB with all of the potential we already have at the position. All around, we have so much talent at the skill positions on offense I would see him playing secondary with his brother Jon. Pete could step right in and make a huge impact at Corner, a potential weakness next year. The secondary is rapidly turning into a strength for JMU!

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
How does it feel for you guys to have a convicted Drug Dealer representing your University?

I am embarrassed for you.

I guess it is at least time for the JMU fans to stop calling UD 'Transfer U', unless you are prepared to accept the 'Convicted Drug Dealer U' moniker.

Uncle Buck
August 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hmm, that goes for a lot (or all) teams

Cal Poly and App State both lost at home because of turnovers

Montana lost the turnover battle against Weber and Richmond, and lost both games convincingly. The only other game were our margin was negative was against D2 Central Washington, and we barely won that one

I think it was more that JMU will hardly give props to anyone who beats them, they only beat themselves and it never has anything to do with the play of the other team.

Silenoz
August 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I think it was more that JMU will hardly give props to anyone who beats them, they only beat themselves and it never has anything to do with the play of the other team.
If that's the case it went right over my head

State Line Liquors
August 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
So let me get this straight. JMU in one off season brings on 3 transfers, of which two are not eligible to play and one of them is coming off felony charges for drug dealing in a school zone?

Next time you guys think of bringing in some transfers, you might to think about having the Mickster give a call to UD's compliance department. At least we know how to do it right.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM
So let me get this straight. JMU in one off season brings on 3 transfers, of which two are not eligible to play and one of them is coming off felony charges for drug dealing in a school zone?

Next time you guys think of bringing in some transfers, you might to think about having the Mickster give a call to UD's compliance department. At least we know how to do it right.

xbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxbowxxlolxxrotatehx

Uncle Buck
August 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
If that's the case it went right over my head

Just doin' my job xthumbsupx

JmuSkinsfan
August 4th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Well, considering one is transferring from Army that would make sense. The other is taking classes at Blue Ridge so he's probably getting classes he needs to qualify to transfer. Chill.

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Oh, come on. It's 6 transfers, 4 from I-A:
-2 JC/CC who should be in camp
-Cornerback from Marshall
-The Syracuse DL is not yet eligible because he's taking CC classes this summer. He should be eligible once practice starts.
-The Army transfer DL apparently has to take a redshirt due to a paperwork snafu, reportedly due to the Army failing to send some of his paperwork or it being messed up.
-Rose from VT was selling a misdemeanor amount of marijuana. Unfortunately for him, he was in a McDonalds parking lot that happened to be 700 feet from a school.

State Line Liquors
August 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Well, considering one is transferring from Army that would make sense. The other is taking classes at Blue Ridge so he's probably getting classes he needs to qualify to transfer. Chill.

I think everyone is chill here Skins. I'll go on record here in saying that things at the very least did not go as planned with the Army kid. Mickey knew all along about the Syracuse transfer not being eligible?

The drug peddler is a story into and of itself. You guys can spin that however you like.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I think everyone is chill here Skins. I'll go on record here in saying that things at the very least did not go as planned with the Army kid. Mickey knew all along about the Syracuse transfer not being eligible?

The drug peddler is a story into and of itself. You guys can spin that however you like.

Right, he handed the kid from Syracuse a tri-fold about Blue Ridge CC in their initial meeting about coming to Harrisonburg. Of course!

Does Marcus Vick still have any eligibility?

State Line Liquors
August 4th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Right, he handed the kid from Syracuse a tri-fold about Blue Ridge CC in their initial meeting about coming to Harrisonburg. Of course!

Does Marcus Vick still have any eligibility?

Well, actually if you must know.... Marcus is still eligible, and as a matter of fact his younger brother Tito is a redshirt Sophomore at JMU. So he'll be able to keep an eye on him. Mickey knows the Vick family, so it should no issue.xnodx

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
-The Syracuse DL is not yet eligible because he's taking CC classes this summer. He should be eligible once practice starts.
-The Army transfer DL apparently has to take a redshirt due to a paperwork snafu, reportedly due to the Army failing to send some of his paperwork or it being messed up.
-Rose from VT was selling a misdemeanor amount of marijuana. Unfortunately for him, he was in a McDonalds parking lot that happened to be 700 feet from a school.

Sounds like an outstanding group of citizens.xlolx

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Well, actually if you must know.... Marcus is still eligible, and as a matter of fact his younger brother Tito is a redshirt Sophomore at JMU. So he'll be able to keep an eye on him. Mickey knows the Vick family, so it should no issue.xnodx

Did Marcus Vick try out with the Dolphins? Would he still be eligible after that?

YoUDeeMan
August 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Kid needed money so Mick gave him a schollie. xrolleyesx

Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick....

xwhistlex

State Line Liquors
August 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Did Marcus Vick try out with the Dolphins? Would he still be eligible after that?

I wasn't being serious

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I wasn't being serious

GOOD!

ur2k
August 4th, 2009, 10:15 PM

It's ok, it does make it better that the kid was dealing in a Mickey D's instead of actually in the schoolyard. Better munchies access for the purchasers. :p

Sounds like outstanding crop of transfers.

GreatAppSt
August 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Shades of his days at Marshall returning to the Mickster. xsmhx

BDKJMU
August 4th, 2009, 10:27 PM

Sounds like an outstanding group of citizens.xlolx

Hey wise guy, there's only one guy of those 6 transfers with a character issue. I'm sure ASU has never taken any transfer of questionable character. xrolleyesx

SideLine Shooter
August 4th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hey wise guy, there's only one guy of those 6 transfers with a character issue. I'm sure ASU has never taken any transfer of questionable character. xrolleyesx

THAT'S RIGHT.

StrikeJMU
August 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM
why does all this Rose bashing reek of hypocrisy? (and weed)

JMU Newbill
August 5th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I personally don't agree with taking Rose in as a transfer knowing what he had done, but that's just me.

I also think its stupid that people from all these other schools act like they have 0 character issues on their teams. Give me a break.

Dukie95
August 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I was against bringing him in, but what's done is done and I'll support him now. Hopefully, with his older brother already on the team, he'll hang with a better crowd and turn out to be a fine citizen at JMU - he has to at this point. Mickey's putting his own reputaton at risk by putting all his trust in him, and I hope he's right.

Also, he's not a VT transfer. This all happened before he enrolled, and VT rescinded the scholarship offer.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I was against bringing him in, but what's done is done and I'll support him now. Hopefully, with his older brother already on the team, he'll hang with a better crowd and turn out to be a fine citizen at JMU - he has to at this point. Mickey's putting his own reputaton at risk by putting all his trust in him, and I hope he's right.

Also, he's not a VT transfer. This all happened before he enrolled, and VT rescinded the scholarship offer.

What's better? A Tek transfer or a Tek REJECT?

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I personally don't agree with taking Rose in as a transfer knowing what he had done, but that's just me.

I also think its stupid that people from all these other schools act like they have 0 character issues on their teams. Give me a break.

It isn't a felony to have a 'character issue'.

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM

So is that guy who assaulted a police officer on national TV still on the team?

And all you Richmond people were firmly behind Kevin Grayson when he broke a guys nose.

I will give you that the Rose thing is a step above those (actually the only difference is that he was within 1000 feet of a school - all the above are misdemeanors), and I'm not sure what I think about it. On the one hand, you're happy he gets a second chance, on the other, you really don't want him to muck it up the next four years. At a certain point, you defer to the staff and hope they're right. Certainly a factor in all of this is that his brother is on the team. Mickey has a history of keeping it in the family, the LeZottes and the McCarters come to mind.

Rose is the only problem I see with any of our transfers. Academic eligibility is an issue for most teams, so I'm not too concerned about the Syracuse guy. Besides, like somebody said, he played at Syracuse...that can't be too much of an upgrade. :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 5th, 2009, 08:08 AM
The frat kid that had his nose broken by Grayson deserved it. In addition, the situation was resolved without a gavel.

State Line Liquors
August 5th, 2009, 08:24 AM
So is that guy who assaulted a police officer on national TV still on the team?

Yup, he still is. He did 20 days in jail in Chattanooga, for throwing a football.

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
The frat kid that had his nose broken by Grayson deserved it. In addition, the situation was resolved without a gavel.

Yea, everybody deserves a good nosebreaking now and then. xrolleyesx

And I thought Grayson pleaded out for 50 hours of community service? Just because they didn't go to trial, doesn't mean he isn't convicted.

I might be wrong on the sentence, though.

Yup, he still is. He did 20 days in jail in Chattanooga, for throwing a football.

I know you're kidding, but his actions apparently foreshadowed some other unlawful behavior. Like maybe, filing a false police report and being involved in a stabbing. Man! What was KC thinking keeping that kid on the team? xeyebrowxxsmiley_wix

My point is this: everybody is quick to justify the actions of their own athletes and staff and villify everybody elses. That's all that's going on in this thread. It's why I never try to comment in other teams threads when issues like this come up.

Tribe4SF
August 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM
The decision to allow Rose to play football, and to actively lobby for his admission to JMU (the only way he'll be admitted) exposes the program to more than just the risk that he may become a problem later. Maintaining a good relationship with the larger college community is an important consideration for a coach. Imagine if a convicted drug dealer with so-so grades and his case still active with the court applied to your alma mater. What are the odds he'd be admitted? Even Va Tech saw the set-up in this one.xsmhx

Eight Legger
August 5th, 2009, 09:17 AM

Actually, bringing in a guy like this actually enhances Mickey's reputation, doesn't it?

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 5th, 2009, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=mcveyrl;1378929]Yea, everybody deserves a good nosebreaking now and then. xrolleyesx

And I thought Grayson pleaded out for 50 hours of community service? Just because they didn't go to trial, doesn't mean he isn't convicted.

QUOTE]

Give me a freaking break. How can you rationalize having a Convicted Drug Dealer on your team by comparing to a guy that got into a fist fight at a frat party?

Face it, you now have a guy that Tek wouldn't let in.

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=mcveyrl;1378929]Yea, everybody deserves a good nosebreaking now and then. xrolleyesx

QUOTE]

Give me a freaking break. How can you rationalize having a Convicted Drug Dealer on your team by comparing to a guy that got into a fist fight at a frat party?

Face it, you now have a guy that Tek wouldn't let in.

I'm not advocating for Rose. I said before that his issues are a step above most. My point was that everybody tries to justify the bad acts of their program and then looks with all this disdain on other program's issues.

Your first comment was that somebody deserved to have their nose broken and that it was resolved "wihout a gavel" (a fact that was false). Grayson had a preliminary hearing and the guy he hit had one too. The court did not proceed with the other guy's case and proceeded with Grayson's so his lawyer struck a deal.

Your response proved my point.

ur2k
August 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
What's better? A Tek transfer or a Tek REJECT?

Maybe Rose thinks Madison has a better kinesiology program than Tek and would be a better place to go to get his education. xeyebrowx

Is the backlash for this kid worth it for JMU - is this an example of the winning at all cost mentality that we see at larger (BCS) institutions? Does Mickey think this gets him a better shot at the younger brother?

It seems maybe they would be better served to get the kid in school first as a recruited walk-on or something, keep his nose clean and then play football. Or is football the only way he gets in to school?

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Maybe Rose thinks Madison has a better kinesiology program than Tek and would be a better place to go to get his education. xeyebrowx

Is the backlash for this kid worth it for JMU - is this an example of the winning at all cost mentality that we see at larger (BCS) institutions? Does Mickey think this gets him a better shot at the younger brother?

It seems maybe they would be better served to get the kid in school first as a recruited walk-on or something, keep his nose clean and then play football. Or is football the only way he gets in to school?

Hey! Do not knock the kinesiology program, it is apparently a very good one. :D (I've said before that I'm disappointed in the fact that we have a lot of those majors, but it is what it is).

I think those are reasonable questions to ask and I think your second point is a valid one; although I'm pretty sure the only way he gets in is through football - my recollection is that felons are not eligible for financial aid. Because of that, he couldn't walk-on anywhere. I think the better option is for him to play D2 or JUCO with a promise to look at him as a transfer (although at that point you're probably back to competing with BCS schools for him).

Eight Legger
August 5th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Saw Mickey this morning recruiting the Gilpin Court street corners in Richmond HARD. I think he landed a couple more excellent recruits!

GannonFan
August 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=BigHouseClosedEnd;1378953]

I'm not advocating for Rose. I said before that his issues are a step above most. My point was that everybody tries to justify the bad acts of their program and then looks with all this disdain on other program's issues.

Your first comment was that somebody deserved to have their nose broken and that it was resolved "wihout a gavel" (a fact that was false). Grayson had a preliminary hearing and the guy he hit had one too. The court did not proceed with the other guy's case and proceeded with Grayson's so his lawyer struck a deal.

Your response proved my point.

The other difference in terms of other programs piling on JMU here is that while other programs have issues with people that are already in their respective programs, it's entirely something else to actively recruit a kid that you know has issues even before the kid comes to your program. It's one thing to have a kid who you recruited into your program with a sterling record then, years later, get into trouble. It's an entirely different thing altogether to take a kid who has issues and then bring him into your program.

Dukie95
August 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
The bad part is, you guys are all completely right and I can't defend this. I do know that Mickey knows the people involved better than any of us, and the only thing I can do is hope that he's right about this.

This is just the beginning of the story.

If he can't keep his nose clean, we'll hear about it here. If, after four years, we look back at his career in a positive light, there won't be a peep I'm sure.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
The bad part is, you guys are all completely right and I can't defend this. I do know that Mickey knows the people involved better than any of us, and the only thing I can do is hope that he's right about this.

This is just the beginning of the story.

If he can't keep his nose clean, we'll hear about it here. If, after four years, we look back at his career in a positive light, there won't be a peep I'm sure.

Good post. I do hope it works out for Rose.

That says, if Richmond were considering bringing him on, I would have a NIMBY view on the deal.

BDKJMU
August 5th, 2009, 10:34 AM
At least the kid is saying the right things 9I know, actions speak louder than words):
http://www.wsls.com/sls/sports/high_school/high_school_football/article/former_amherst_star_peter_rose_gets_second_chance_ at_football/42962/

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=mcveyrl;1378955]

The other difference in terms of other programs piling on JMU here is that while other programs have issues with people that are already in their respective programs, it's entirely something else to actively recruit a kid that you know has issues even before the kid comes to your program. It's one thing to have a kid who you recruited into your program with a sterling record then, years later, get into trouble. It's an entirely different thing altogether to take a kid who has issues and then bring him into your program.

That's a valid point and I can't really dispute that. The thing is, everybody's got problems. Nobody's squeaky clean. I have a feeling that if another program was in this situation, some of their fans would try to justify it too. Which is another reason why I try to stay out of other team's situations.

Right now everybody's jumping to conclusions based on his past. Which is fair. But what if he's really changed? Rose might come in to JMU a changed person and pull a 3.6 GPA out with a business degree. I hope that happens regardless of what he does on the football field. At any rate, I'd rather have a changed kid and somebody that's clean throughout school than a kid that's disruptive while in the program. Obviously, it's a risk, but every football coach takes some risk when he recruits. Mickey (in his usual style) has decided to go high stakes.

Dukie95
August 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
That says, if Richmond were considering bringing him on, I would have a NIMBY view on the deal.

As I have...but we're past the considering phase. What's done is done and now he's a Duke and he'll get my support.

jmufan999
August 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM

how can YOU rationalize that? besides himself with the legal ramifications, who did Peter hurt by selling a little weed? did he cause physical harm to another person? did he cause another person to seek medical treatment? did he put himself in jeopardy of being involved in a civil suit? when did selling a little weed become worse than punching someone in the face? what kind of logic is that?

and just because grayson's case was resolved "before the gavel" means absolutely nothing. we all know that you pay for what you get as far as defense attorneys. how do we know that Peter wasn't being represented by an incompetent public defender? i'll take a kid selling a little weed over an assault any day. and that's what a punch in the face is -- assault.

personally, i don't care about EITHER case as far as the legal issue. WHO CARES about all this crap? is anyone here perfect? but if you're comparing the two, i would disagree that selling weed is worse than punching someone, i don't care if it was at a party.

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Good post. I do hope it works out for Rose.

As I have...but we're past the considering phase. What's done is done and now he's a Duke and he'll get my support.

Yea, I really would prefer that we stayed away, but we didn't, so you gotta support his second chance.

JMU Newbill
August 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'll have to ask the UR grads that are 20 years older than me that report to me if they can remember any situations where UR brought in a recruit that was of such low moral standards.

I'll get back to you guys....

State Line Liquors
August 5th, 2009, 10:55 AM
how can YOU rationalize that? besides himself with the legal ramifications, who did Peter hurt by selling a little weed? did he cause physical harm to another person? did he cause another person to seek medical treatment? did he put himself in jeopardy of being involved in a civil suit? when did selling a little weed become worse than punching someone in the face? what kind of logic is that?

and just because grayson's case was resolved "before the gavel" means absolutely nothing. we all know that you pay for what you get as far as defense attorneys. how do we know that Peter wasn't being represented by an incompetent public defender? i'll take a kid selling a little weed over an assault any day. and that's what a punch in the face is -- assault.

personally, i don't care about EITHER case as far as the legal issue. WHO CARES about all this crap? is anyone here perfect? but if you're comparing the two, i would disagree that selling weed is worse than punching someone, i don't care if it was at a party.

Tell that to the US Border Patrol, the DEA & the judge....Smokey. xbowx

*And yes, almost every program has its behavior issues. I can cite several examples at UD of current players getting in trouble. More times that I'd like for sure. It's just surprising when someone else in our conference brings them onto their team AFTER the fact. Call it twisting words, or whatever you prefer. I just think this is an example of a huge lowering of the bar for a student athlete in terms of behavior, and one that I would be very unpleased with if it happened at UD.

BDKJMU
August 5th, 2009, 11:36 AM
If it was up to me I would have told the kid JMU will offer you a scholly in 2010' if you spend a year at FUMA 1st (as it looked like he initially was planning on doing) and get decent grades there and stay out of trouble. Then in 2010 (2 yrs out of HS) you'll have an opporunity to compete as a freshman (as a yr at FUMA doesn't cost anything eligibility wise) alongside you're older brother (who'd be a 4th yr junior in 2010) and maybe your younger brother if he decides to come here. FUMA is very experienced in handling these kinds of cases and military discipline can do wonders for kids. If he ended up going to a BCS school after FUMA, then so be it. JMU would catch a lot less flak this route, and maybe it would have been better for Peter in the long run.

WMTribe90
August 5th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Like I posted on the JMU board, if JMU is truly concerned about giving a "good" kid a second chance then grant him conditional admission and let him pay his own way for the first year, make grades and then AWARD him a scholarship after he has EARNED the privledge. All JMU has done is demonstrate to this young kid that selling drugs is no biggie as long as your a good football player. It does speak volumes that not even VT was willing to overlook his conviction. Would any other applicant to JMU be granted admission with a felony drug conviction on their record? It's one thing to grant leeway in admissions to student athletes that bring to the table special talents, have worked hard in HS (on the field and in the classroom) and are likely to represent the school in a positive light. Its another thing to overlook or brush aside criminal behavior based soley on athletic ability. I hate to see this at the FCS level, where I like to believe football is still important, but where some perspective is maintained (unlike the majority of FBS programs). Maybe JMU is ready for the big time?

Like others have said, some programs do their best to bring in quality people and despite their best efforts some guys dissapoint, but the program takes swift action to discipline or expell the player. While there's no way to reduce the risk to zero, these programs act responsibly, minimize the risk and never compromise the integrity of the program (or the school) for short term gains. Other programs seek out FBS cast-aways and questionable players seeking a competitive advantage and then act surprised when it often goes wrong.

This is not the first VT reject Mickey had a good feeling about. They had a LB (Brown) during their NC run that committed a series of armed robberies in Harrisonburg and elsewhere shortly after leaving the football program.

Its a shame that the vast majority of JMU players, who are great individulas (i.e., Scotty McGee), now have to be associated with a convicted felon.

WMTribe90
August 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
If it was up to me I would have told the kid JMU will offer you a scholly in 2010' if you spend a year at FUMA 1st (as it looked like he initially was planning on doing) and get decent grades there and stay out of trouble. Then in 2010 (2 yrs out of HS) you'll have an opporunity to compete as a freshman (as a yr at FUMA doesn't cost anything eligibility wise) alongside you're older brother (who'd be a 4th yr junior in 2010) and maybe your younger brother if he decides to come here. FUMA is very experienced in handling these kinds of cases and military discipline can do wonders for kids. If he ended up going to a BCS school after FUMA, then so be it. JMU would catch a lot less flak this route, and maybe it would have been better for Peter in the long run.

Good post, I didn't see it before posting the above, but IMO this is exactly the type of route JMU should have taken. Few would have a problem giving a second chance to a kid that had earned it in this fashion.

ur2k
August 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'll have to ask the UR grads that are 20 years older than me that report to me if they can remember any situations where UR brought in a recruit that was of such low moral standards.

I'll get back to you guys....

Wait, I think this was a dig on Richmond. You really got us with that one xthumbsupx

So did you find anything out yet? Has UR gone out of its way to get a convicted felon admitted to the school to play football? Or any other sport? Low morals on the other hand are a completely different thing.

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM

I agree. Good post. As I stated earlier, I even would'nt have minded him going to D2 or JUCO, although now that you mention it FUMA is probably the best option.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Grayson was already a Spider. Rose was a convicted felon before you signed him up.

Again, the guy is a Tek reject.

Just say it: "I'm with Mickey. Winning football games is top priority ... at risk of other priorities". That will put the argument to rest.

mcveyrl
August 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Grayson was already a Spider. Rose was a convicted felon before you signed him up.

Again, the guy is a Tek reject.

Just say it: "I'm with Mickey. Winning football games is top priority ... at risk of other priorities". That will put the argument to rest.

Do you know how many guys on both of our teams would have rather gone to Tech?

I don't necessarily agree with bringing him in (Mickey didn't call me this time), but that's not going to stop me from pulling for this kid now that he's enrolled.

GreatAppSt
August 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Pass the bong. xviolinx

james_lawfirm
August 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM

Wow! I don't know where to begin my reply to such drivel. Let's just answer your questions as you posed them. By selling pot (allegedly), PR hurt: 1) himself, 2) the buyer, 3) the cops who had to take the time to arrest him, 4) the general public, 5) the law, & most of all - his MOMMA! Did he cause physical harm to another person? Yes, he indirectly caused someone to smoke pot (and by the way, you realize such an act is illegal?)

Medical Treatment? Doubtful, but so what?

Did he put himself in jeopardy of being in a civil suit? Not likely since drug dealers probably have no assets. But, assuming he did, then YES. I can think of a number of scenarios in which a civil suit is likely.

Selling pot > assault? That comparison is irrelevant. Both actions are illegal & both can lead to jail time upon convictions.

Logic? Since when are you troubled by logic? Not in your above post.

A case resolved before the gavel means nothing? Ah, the ultimate rationalization.

Incompetent public defender? Maybe, but maybe he's guilty as sin & the Court got that one right.

Actually a punch in the face is NOT an assault. A punch in the face would be battery. Assault is where one is reasonably placed in fear of being hit.

And, your last paragraph is just drivel.

So, to sum up here, I agree with the Great App State. Somebody needs to just Pass You the Bong!

StrikeJMU
August 5th, 2009, 07:16 PM
why did this thread become a forum to express your views on pot? Both Cheech and Johnny Straight-Edge have valid points but will never agree.

james_lawfirm
August 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
why did this thread become a forum to express your views on pot? Both Cheech and Johnny Straight-Edge have valid points but will never agree.

I don't think I revealed my views on pot anywhere on my earlier post. However, I did succinctly express my views on criminal activity and that other JMU poster's forays into logic.

Since you seem to be taking up for his earlier post, can one deduce that JMU posters, with some exceptions, are just a bunch of pot heads?

Pass the Bong!

StrikeJMU
August 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
it must be lonely on your pedestal.

james_lawfirm
August 5th, 2009, 08:35 PM
it must be lonely on your pedestal.

OK, you got me. Here I was trying to pick a fight, and you go and give me compliments. xsmoochx

Tribe4SF
August 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
i'll take a kid selling a little weed over an assault any day.

That would be an interesting recruiting priority!xrolleyesx

Have you lost your mind? Do you really want your school to take kids convicted of dealing drugs, or assault? JMU is a public school with tens of thousands of applicants. Where and how do we find justification for them taking in students with such convictions, and no meaningful credentials other than the fact that they play football?

BDKJMU
August 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM
This article claims his older brother Jon is starting at safety for JMU (or headed into camp listed at #1 at SS, one of the 3 safety positions). I knew the converted tailback would be on the 2 deep as Spring reports said he had done very well in the transition. Looks like Jon Rose will be the starting SS, and Griff Yancey, another converted tailback will be the starting FS.

Anyway, the interview:
Peter Rose Talks About Second Chance
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0809/646976.html

State Line Liquors
August 6th, 2009, 06:22 AM
This article claims his older brother Jon is starting at safety for JMU (or headed into camp listed at #1 at SS, one of the 3 safety positions). I knew the converted tailback would be on the 2 deep as Spring reports said he had done very well in the transition. Looks like Jon Rose will be the starting SS, and Griff Yancey, another converted tailback will be the starting FS.

Anyway, the interview:

An architecture major????!!!!

http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/academics/

JmuSkinsfan
August 6th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Anyway, the interview:

Great article...the guy really seems set on making amends and turning his life around and taking this second chance seriously.

Although you can tell he is happy to be playing at JMU, but he'd much rather be at Va. Tech. Can't really hate on that, seeing as how he was offered by them and then had it revoked, that must be tough. But hopefully he learns to be a Duke and he will quickly fall in love with the school, I am sure of it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Unless it falls under College of Science and Math (programs page there is under construction), I don't see an architecture major.

Did he mean 'Kinesiology Major with a Concentration in Sports Management'?

JmuSkinsfan
August 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I believe there is some variation of architecture at JMU. Either in urban planning or the ISAT program. I could be completely bSing since it's off the top of my head but there is an architecture-esque program that preps you for going into post-grad architecture.

Tribe4SF
August 6th, 2009, 09:10 AM

My, my...he's talking about a major that doesn't exist at a school that has yet to admit him. And his brother talked to him about academics? The architecture plan may have been his agenda at Va Tech (tough major), but he's in for a surprise at JMU.

Eight Legger
August 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I heard he signed up for 3 sections of this class:

http://www.jmu.edu/catalog/09/cd/course_S.html#SOCI327

GreatAppSt
August 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Well' it appears you can take Mickey out of Marshall, but you can't take the Marshall out of Mickey. xeyebrowx

GoDukes86
August 6th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I didn't hear Peter Rose say he was going to major in Architecture...hmmm, could it be that the news reporter made a mistake? Naaaaaa! I'm sure you guys are too smart not to have thought of that!

(I knew you guys wouldn't respond to this one)

Longhorn
August 10th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I believe there is some variation of architecture at JMU. Either in urban planning or the ISAT program. I could be completely bSing since it's off the top of my head but there is an architecture-esque program that preps you for going into post-grad architecture.

There is. But it's found in the School of Art and Art History, which has an endowed scholarship program for students who wish to pursue graduate studies in architecture (it's named the J. Binford Walford Scholarship). While most graduates of the program proceed into professional Interior Design careers, many (6-8 per year) do enter graduate programs in architecture or urban planning. JMU is one of only 3 schools in VA that offer an accredited Interior Design Program (the others being VT and VCU), and football players do opt for this program. In fact, Demetrius Shambley, a DT on the '04 NC team, was an interior design major and followed it up with a graduate degree in Urban Planning at VCU.

BigHouseClosedEnd
August 10th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I didn't hear Peter Rose say he was going to major in Architecture...hmmm, could it be that the news reporter made a mistake? Naaaaaa! I'm sure you guys are too smart not to have thought of that!

(I knew you guys wouldn't respond to this one)

I think we actually just got sick of the thread. Figured you would decide that letting it fall to the bottom would be in your best interest too.

Are you a Kinesiology Major with a Sports Management Concentration? :D

james_lawfirm
August 10th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I think we actually just got sick of the thread. Figured you would decide that letting it fall to the bottom would be in your best interest too.

OUCH!

GoDukes86
August 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Suuuure ya did. xrolleyesx

Honestly, I never expected a substantive response since it was a cheap shot. Stay classy.