Sept. 30: Yale
Oct. 7 at Columbia
Oct. 14 at Harvard
Oct. 21 Holy Cross
Oct. 28 Colgate
Nov. 4 at Fordham
Nov. 11 Georgetwon
Nov. 18 Lehigh

No Marist this year, but I guess that's a good thing since it helps our schedule strength. The only real game hampering our strength is Columbia, and a poor Patriot team. Glad to see Penn back on the schedule after a three year hiatus... this will be a very good game, (also our first game with a new stadium/field?). Can't wait for Yale too, we haven't played them since 1991, and they are always a top Ivy team. I'm not sure what the people gripe about on this board, but I've noticed the top half of the Ivies usually rank within the top 40 GPI. So, Yale and Penn help our GPI no doubt.

However, I am disappointed that there are no A-10 teams on the schedule. The PL and A10 should ahve some form of agreement where each PL team plays an A10 team at least once per year. Why not? The leagues overlap in the Northeast. That Richmond win helped us immensely this year, and I hoped the AD saw how important it was to schedule an A10 team each year. But, I dont' see that happening before 2009. The schedule has us playing Monmouth twice, Marist once, and the same Ivies (minus Yale). The Monmouth matchup did not seem overly thrilling at first, but since the NEC is going to give schollies, it might be a good matchup.

colgate13
December 8th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Your website that you got it from is wrong. You're @ Colgate in 2006. You don't have seven home games again. IMO, the Leopard season rides on:

Penn
@ Princeton
@ Harvard
@ Colgate
Lehigh

You got to win four out of those five for a return trip to the playoffs IMO.

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Wow, this schedule just reminded me that today is cream puff day in the cafeteria. Thanks!

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Wow, this schedule just reminded me that today is cream puff day in the cafeteria. Thanks!

Sept 9: at Bucknell
Sept. 16: UPenn
Spet. 23: at Princeton
Oct. 7 at Columbia
Oct. 14 at Harvard
Oct. 21 Holy Cross
Oct. 28 Colgate
Nov. 4 at Fordham
Nov. 11 Georgetwon
Nov. 18 Lehigh

Funny... but I don't see ANY team on that schedule that is worse than two of YSU's favorite cup cakes... Slippery Rock and Liberty... :rolleyes:

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Liberty already bailed and hopefully we'll be ditching SRU as well.

We already have Penn State lined up.

And we routinely play at least 7 teams tougher than anyone on that schedule, so get a grip on reality. xlolx

Call YSU for a home and home. We'd love to get Lafayette on the slate. :hyped:

AppGuy04
December 8th, 2005, 08:12 AM
We already have Penn State lined up.:hyped:

u mean you've already got one loss :rolleyes:

ChickenMan
December 8th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Call YSU for a home and home.

Why would UD call YSU for a home/home... the Pens backed out of the previous contract with UD... :rolleyes:

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Why would UD call YSU for a home/home... the Pens backed out of the previous contract with UD... :rolleyes:

That one really ticked off a lot of the fans. We've got a nice history with UD and both teams travel well. It could be a nice rivalry. I'd love to see it, believe me.

As far as the idiot saying we're going to lose to PSU...no **** Sherlock. $350k is the only reason that travesty will go on.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2005, 08:33 AM

And we routinely play at least 7 teams tougher than anyone on that schedule, so get a grip on reality. xlolx

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, Indiana St and Missouri St.

waa waa waa waa waa waa

bandl
December 8th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Here is the tentative slate so far:

Sept 9: at Bucknell
Sept. 16: UPenn
Spet. 23: at Princeton
Oct. 7 at Columbia
Oct. 14 at Harvard
Oct. 21 Holy Cross
Oct. 28 Colgate
Nov. 4 at Fordham
Nov. 11 Georgetwon
Nov. 18 Lehigh

Where's a MEAC team....HUH??? What, are you SCARED?? PUNK!!!! I PITY YOU!!!!

LOL...sorry. I couldn't help myself.

JoltinJoe
December 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Pard4Life:

Since @ Rose Hill is one of your favorite games, here's hoping you can be there on 11/4.

As game day nears, I'll try to hook you up with some info on places to eat after the game. The Belmont section is adjacent to campus and has the best Italian restaurants in New York.

As an aside, Coffey Field has been renovated with a FieldTurf surface, but many here were disappointed that it remained a facility with only one grandstand on the home side of the field.

How do our visitors feel about that, and about Coffey in general?

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2005, 08:47 AM
OK, I for one think its time to bring on the Penguins! I'm ready!

LacesOut
December 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I'm a Pards fan. They have neat uniforms!

Pards would kick YSU's ass!

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 08:54 AM
OK, I for one think its time to bring on the Penguins! I'm ready!

The travel would be great. I'd like to go East for a trip. I don't know why we don't try to get more A-10 \ Patriot teams on the slate. I'd love to get Villanova, Deleware, Lehigh, Lafayette, UNH, or Colgate. Heck, anyone from either conference is preferred to a D2 team.

It makes for much more interesting football than Slippery Rock or Penn State.

colgate13
December 8th, 2005, 08:56 AM

please, please, please show me YSU's 2006 schedule? I know it starts out 0-1...

And to the other YSU fan, please list the seven teams that are better than:

Penn, Harvard, Colgate and Lehigh. Please. I'll give you 1-3 depending on the year. But of course, we haven't seen what 2006 will bring. For all we know, that could be 2 playoff teams and two ranked Ivys. :rolleyes:

colgate13
December 8th, 2005, 08:56 AM
The travel would be great. I'd like to go East for a trip. I don't know why we don't try to get more A-10 \ Patriot teams on the slate. I'd love to get Villanova, Deleware, Lehigh, Lafayette, UNH, or Colgate. Heck, anyone from either conference is preferred to a D2 team.

It makes for much more interesting football than Slippery Rock or Penn State.

Not disagreeing at all, but for some reason, Patriot/Gateway just hasn't been a matchup at all. Have there been any in season matchups in recent history, if ever????

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM
please, please, please show me YSU's 2006 schedule? I know it starts out 0-1...

And to the other YSU fan, please list the seven teams that are better than:

Penn, Harvard, Colgate and Lehigh. Please. I'll give you 1-3 depending on the year. But of course, we haven't seen what 2006 will bring. For all we know, that could be 2 playoff teams and two ranked Ivys. :rolleyes:

Our schdule isn't set yet pal. NE and Liberty bailed so we're still looking. Hopefully we'll get you lined up.

I'd think you're conferences playoff performance this year would have taught you something. but I guess not.

bandl
December 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Our schdule isn't set yet pal. NE and Liberty bailed so we're still looking. Hopefully we'll get you lined up.

I'd think you're conferences playoff performance this year would have taught you something. but I guess not.

YSU's playoff performance this year was ****ING AWESOME! THEY DESTROYED EVERY TEAM THEY PLAYED! THEY ARE THE BEST TEAM IN THE PLAYOFFS, WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Not disagreeing at all, but for some reason, Patriot/Gateway just hasn't been a matchup at all. Have there been any in season matchups in recent history, if ever????

Not that I can think of. Our AD is more worried about a big $ game and a Thursday night (D2) game than scheduling regional teams. The belief is that 6 home games and\or a money game is needed to keep athletics afloat. Believe me, we all hate the D2 games, but it's being marketed as a financial necessity.

colgate13
December 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Hmmm... lessons learned from the PL 2005 playoff performance....

http://www.stjohnsyouthservices.org.au/images/page_pix/Young-girls-daydreaming.jpg

"Becky, what did you learn from this year's I-AA playoffs?"

"That #1 teams often flop."

"No, no, no! As it pertains to the Patriot League, you silly!"

"Oh, OK Ashley. Well, for one, I learned that little old at-large Lafayette can hang with the #2 team in the nation better than Gateway champ Southern Illinois can! I mean, like, for sure!"

"Well, I learned that when a conference champ backs into the playoff autobid and then goes on the road to face the #1 team in the nation, it has the potential to be a bad situation! But ultimately, you know what the biggest thing I learned is?"

"What Becky, that the A-10 can fall down too?"

"No, no... that scheduling Division II and I-A teams and only having seven Division wins might be good for the bottom line, but it's a killer come playoff time!"

bandl
December 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM

http://www.stjohnsyouthservices.org.au/images/page_pix/Young-girls-daydreaming.jpg

"Oh, OK Ashley. Well, for one, I learned that little old at-large Lafayette can hang with the #2 team in the nation better than Gateway champ Southern Illinois can! I mean, like, for sure!"

"Well, I learned that when a conference champ backs into the playoff autobid and then goes on the road to face the #1 team in the nation, it has the potential to be a bad situation! But ultimately, you know what the biggest thing I learned is?"

"No, no... that scheduling Division II and I-A teams and only having seven Division wins might be good for the bottom line, but it's a killer come playoff time!"

Funny stuff! Just made me pee my pants a little. Thanks for that.

Pard94
December 8th, 2005, 10:45 AM

YSU = biggest bunch of b*tches EVER. You used to be great...now you are reduced to a snivelling bunch of schoolgirls. Oh well, at least you can fall back on your school's great academic reputation...oh wait... :xmas:

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 10:49 AM
[/i][/b][/color]

I think you're on to something here.... :hurray:

Can't wait to see what D2 team we open with this year.

Lafayette71
December 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM

The Pards took #2 App St. Down to wire and where as the 'guins took some much needed time to get caught up on their homework for those communications degrees. I'd say Lafayette's performance in the first round was better than Youngstown's.

Pard94
December 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM
The Pards took #2 App St. Down to wire and where as the 'guins took some much needed time to get caught up on their homework for those communications degrees. I'd say Lafayette's performance in the first round was better than Youngstown's.

Hell, Colgate's 1st round performance was better than YSU's. Oh well, I hear Ohio is lovely this time year...oh wait... :xmas:

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Looking at both teams records and your strength of schedule I'm baffled how Lafayette made the playoffs, as are most people who understand 1-AA football. Go back and re-read Matt's article from a couple weeks ago.

Your leagues first round results only proved what your schedules indicated. You played and beat no one.

Don't be defensive, good for you that you made it. You can't argue against strentgh of schedule and on the field results.

And don't give me any crap about SIU losing at App St. They choke every year.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Not against YSU they don't.

2003 L 17-24
2004 L 2-37
2005 L 17-31

Try beating them once - just once - and then get back to me.

GannonFan
December 8th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Our schdule isn't set yet pal. NE and Liberty bailed

NE bailed??? Why'd they do that? Was it a home and home? If they played at YSU wasn't there a return game at Parsons or was it an all at YSU affair? Curious why they would drop a series if they were getting a home game out of it (of course, they might lose money on home games there so maybe that's the reason??)

Happy Penguin
December 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
NE bailed??? Why'd they do that? Was it a home and home? If they played at YSU wasn't there a return game at Parsons or was it an all at YSU affair? Curious why they would drop a series if they were getting a home game out of it (of course, they might lose money on home games there so maybe that's the reason??)

Rumor was they were going for a money game of their own. I think our AD is still working with them and trying to get us to go to their place next season. It may not be dead yet, but they've asked out to explore other opportunities. So far, other than our conference games, I think only PSU is considered a "done deal".

ngineer
December 8th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Pard4Life:

Since @ Rose Hill is one of your favorite games, here's hoping you can be there on 11/4.

As game day nears, I'll try to hook you up with some info on places to eat after the game. The Belmont section is adjacent to campus and has the best Italian restaurants in New York.

As an aside, Coffey Field has been renovated with a FieldTurf surface, but many here were disappointed that it remained a facility with only one grandstand on the home side of the field.

I enjoy Coffey. The turf looked great and was a great improvement. The fact that all the stands are on the home side is weird, and IMO, helps the visitors in a close game due to all the noise behind the bench making it difficult to hear coaches, etc..The trees at the end opposite the scoreboard also cast weird shadows whenever I've been there in November..

ngineer
December 8th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hell, Colgate's 1st round performance was better than YSU's. Oh well, I hear Ohio is lovely this time year...oh wait... :xmas:

Speaking of lovely locales--when are you guys going to get your butts over to Crapsville and face the music??? :coach:

TypicalTribe
December 8th, 2005, 02:57 PM

Unless you're Texas State and Northern Iowa, of course.

Pard94
December 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Looking at both teams records and your strength of schedule I'm baffled how Lafayette made the playoffs, as are most people who understand 1-AA football. Go back and re-read Matt's article from a couple weeks ago.

Your leagues first round results only proved what your schedules indicated. You played and beat no one.

Don't be defensive, good for you that you made it. You can't argue against strentgh of schedule and on the field results.

No Happy Pen, I'm not going to go back and re-read any 3 week old article about games that have already occurred. Because only a loser with nothing better to do than whine and obsess about a situation of their own making would do that. That's not me. As it would seem to be some sort of holy scripture for you...I'll take your word for it. I'm sure it is very complimentary of YSU and very derogatory of Lafayette. Go ahead and pin it up on your wall next to your poster of David Hasselhoff and re-read it every day if you want. You lost. Your team sucks. Move on.

Pard94
December 8th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Speaking of lovely locales--when are you guys going to get your butts over to Crapsville and face the music??? :coach:

I have to admit, I'm not too familiar with the Crapsville concept. If there is some music that i should be facing I am more than happy to do so...just show me the way.

carney2
December 8th, 2005, 03:30 PM
A League opener?

Colgate at home two years in a row? (I know that Biddle considers this game a gimme, but I doubt if he agrees to this.)

FIVE Ivy games??? (That's more Ivy games than Columbia has actually been involved in for over 30 years.)

Stadium renovations? (They've been talking about it for years and have gone through two iterations that I know of. Still no announcement. Oh yeah, let's hope that the rumor of early this fall where they go to a one sided configuration (stands on home side only) prove to be a crock.)

I have no doubt that you are well intentioned, but all of this sounds more than a little suspicious. With the exception of last year when they were forced to do something for that PBS calendar, it has been impossible to get anything in the way of schedules out of McCutcheon et al before May.

Personally, I will be disappointed if at least one A-10 team is not on the schedule.

As for the football "elitists" who have taken this opportunity to denigrate this schedule, Pard football, and the entire Patriot League, ask yourselves what you would do if your "student athletes" - or any of your "students" for that matter - were required to show anything more complex than a driver's license to complete the college admissions process.

Marcus Garvey
December 8th, 2005, 04:14 PM
YSU = biggest bunch of b*tches EVER. You used to be great...now you are reduced to a snivelling bunch of schoolgirls. Oh well, at least you can fall back on your school's great academic reputation...oh wait... :xmas:

Wait a sec, don't you mean UMass? Between getting "screwed" out of a home playoff game vs. Colgate in '03 and their denial over the Brown hiring, I think they make the YSU whiners look downright reasonable!

Anyhow here's how I see Lafayette's season unfolding:
Sept 9: at Bucknell - Win
Sept. 16: UPenn - Loss
Spet. 23: at Princeton -Loss
Sept. 30: Yale - Loss
Oct. 7 at Columbia -Win
Oct. 14 at Harvard - Loss
Oct. 21 Holy Cross - Win
Oct. 28 Colgate -Win
Nov. 4 at Fordham -Win
Nov. 11 Georgetwon -Win
Nov. 18 Lehigh -Win

7-4, PL champs (6-0) tough road loss in the 1st round.

Face it, the Pards can't beat an Ivy League team not named Columbia. I'd feel better if they had Hofstra, 'Nova or Bill & Mary as opposed to the schools they've scheduled.

Pards Rule
December 8th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Well, I will bet you we get a Ivy win or two this season (forgetting Columbia)...Thats a prime goal. BTW, Go App State!! Beat Furman!

blur2005
December 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM

Can you really consider Indiana State to be better than any team on Lafayette's schedule? :rolleyes:

Husky Alum
December 8th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Funny, the YSU press release issued this week said that YSU bailed on the NU game because you were playing Penn State.

We have a money game next year at NDSU - yes, they're paying us about $200K.

When WE heard you were trying to get a money game instead of coming to Boston, we told you we'd let you out of it if we found one of our own.

Funny, now that Mickey Monus has been indicted, you guys don't have the First Bank of Phar Mor to fund things, do ya?

ngineer
December 8th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I have to admit, I'm not too familiar with the Crapsville concept. If there is some music that i should be facing I am more than happy to do so...just show me the way.

Just mosey on over to the Lounge--click on "Crapsville is Open!" and order your brew to match your reason for being in "Crapsville". It's an 'old' tradition that whenever your team is out of playoff contention or out of the playoffs, you go to Crapsville and cry in your beer, or whine in you whine (although YSU has shown yet, I think), do whatever else you do to face the music.... ;) :cool:

TheValleyRaider
December 9th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Colgate at home two years in a row? (I know that Biddle considers this game a gimme, but I doubt if he agrees to this.)

That's a misprint. The game's up in Hamilton.

Marcus, why do you think Lafayette wins next year's game in Hamilton? It's been 10 years, and we should be better next season, especially on O. Not smack, just curious.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 9th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Wait a sec, don't you mean UMass? Between getting "screwed" out of a home playoff game vs. Colgate in '03 and their denial over the Brown hiring, I think they make the YSU whiners look downright reasonable!

Oct. 7 at Columbia -Win
Oct. 21 Holy Cross - Win
Oct. 28 Colgate -Win
Nov. 4 at Fordham -Win
Nov. 11 Georgetwon -Win
Nov. 18 Lehigh -Win

Face it, the Pards can't beat an Ivy League team not named Columbia. I'd feel better if they had Hofstra, 'Nova or Bill & Mary as opposed to the schools they've scheduled.

In order to make progress, Lafayette is going to have to beat the teams they haven't been able to beat in a long long time. Those teams are Princeton, Harvard, and Colgate. Not to take away from the UPenn game or the 142nd meeting, but IMO the three huge monkeys on the 'Pards back are Princeton, Harvard, and Colgate.

Pard94
December 9th, 2005, 08:03 AM
A League opener?

FIVE Ivy games??? (That's more Ivy games than Columbia has actually been involved in for over 30 years.)

Stadium renovations? (They've been talking about it for years and have gone through two iterations that I know of. Still no announcement. Oh yeah, let's hope that the rumor of early this fall where they go to a one sided configuration (stands on home side only) prove to be a crock.)

I have no doubt that you are well intentioned, but all of this sounds more than a little suspicious. With the exception of last year when they were forced to do something for that PBS calendar, it has been impossible to get anything in the way of schedules out of McCutcheon et al before May.

Personally, I will be disappointed if at least one A-10 team is not on the schedule.

As for the football "elitists" who have taken this opportunity to denigrate this schedule, Pard football, and the entire Patriot League, ask yourselves what you would do if your "student athletes" - or any of your "students" for that matter - were required to show anything more complex than a driver's license to complete the college admissions process.

Atta Boy Carney!! Don't take any crap! I've got your back!!! Go Pards! :hyped:

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Dear I-AA community,

Please to do not misconstrue one fan's first post with the general sentiment of the Patriot League. Pulling out the "yea, but we're smart card" is the weakest of all football related arguements and makes us/the teams look like big fat losers.

Just so you know I'm not just trying to play all nice and pretty, there are two key points to remember:

1 - There are schools outside of the Patriot and Ivy League that are pretty darn good and difficult to get into.

2 - A high academic profile might leave certain recruits off limits, but it might also attract certain players too. The street goes both ways. We get some players because of our tough admission requirements... that's a big sell to a recruit on the fence: a "insert Patriot League school here" degree.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming... :cool:

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Oct. 28 Colgate -Win

Question Marcus: what exactly are the four Ivy's bringing back that is better than Colgate, who has frankly owned Lafayette for a decade, and gets to play them at Andy Kerr?

I for one think Lafayette has themselves a tough year ahead, one that will show just how far they've come. They lose their entire defense that basically carried them the bulk of the year. The offense never really clicked (except for you know what game).

The Leopards have to show they have reached the level of 'reload' as opposed to 'rebuild'. I'll also be shocked to see a 'three-peat' as PL champs. Lehigh last had a streak of four in a row from 98-01 (sharing it in 1999), but I think the league has gotten tougher since then.

We shall see.

Marcus Garvey
December 9th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Question Marcus: what exactly are the four Ivy's bringing back that is better than Colgate, who has frankly owned Lafayette for a decade, and gets to play them at Andy Kerr?

Actually, I don't see the Leopards winning the PL at all. The point of my post was that Lafayette cannot seem to beat Ivy teams. I thought "prediciting" a 7-4 finish with a 6-0 PL record would underscore that. Ironically, my post has gotten more attention from Colgate fans that Lafayette fans!

But all the same, I'd hesitate to say Colgate "Owns" Lafayette. While Colgate has won 10 straight over Lafayette, 5 of the last 6 games have been won by a TD or less. A Colgate win is no longer a sure bet.

carney2
December 9th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Someone correctly pointed out that my comments about academics in an earlier post were out of place. I wanted it back right after I hit the "send" button, but... Anyway, my comments were particularly uncalled for since they came from someone who could not even participate in this give and take without the benefit of spell check.

Also, apologies to Pard4Life for doubting his statement that the preliminary 2006 Lafayette football schedule is out there and is, in fact, what he states it to be. How could I have doubted you? I am now taking your comments about the much needed stadium renovations with more than the usual grain of salt. I have no corroboration on the renovations, but your word is now good enough for me.

Still, I agree with the respondent who says that the Colgate game (in Easton) must be a typo. Not only does it sound strange, but with the game in Hamilton, the Pards would have a perfectly balanced 3 home and 3 away league games.

Oh yeah, the NCAA allows 12 games in 2006 so there is still time for the brain trust to find themselves a Marist for that 9/2 "open" date. Also, there are still three Ivy teams not (yet) on the schedule and they only need two of those three to theoretically qualify for the Ivy championship.

And now for the bottom line: what's going on here? Why aren't they upgrading the schedule? (Translation: we need an A-10 team or two.) Tavani has gone on record that he does not believe that the playoff selection committee looks favorably on losses to Ivy teams, and he just does not beat Ivy teams that are not residents of Manhattan. It is truly a strange schedule.

Finally, any thoughts on an 8th Patriot League school for football? With only 7 teams and the dismal playoff performance since Colgate's ice bowl run to the finals. ya gotta believe that their automatic bid may eventually be in jeopardy without that 8th team.

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Actually, I don't see the Leopards winning the PL at all. The point of my post was that Lafayette cannot seem to beat Ivy teams. I thought "prediciting" a 7-4 finish with a 6-0 PL record would underscore that. Ironically, my post has gotten more attention from Colgate fans that Lafayette fans!

But all the same, I'd hesitate to say Colgate "Owns" Lafayette. While Colgate has won 10 straight over Lafayette, 5 of the last 6 games have been won by a TD or less. A Colgate win is no longer a sure bet.

whew... missed the sarcasm Marcus!

But I will disagree about the paragraph. It's been close, but it's always been Colgate... This past year was the best chance the Leopards had to break that streak. I see Colgate as having LC's number big time. Isn't the all time CU/LC record at something like 35-11?

Pard94
December 9th, 2005, 01:53 PM

There really ought to be an asterisk next to the 1997-2001 as we had a dipsh*it leading the college and publically talking about moving the team to DII. Neither Colgate nor Lehigh nor anyone else could succeed with that stinking albatross around the neck. So the decade of Dominance that 13 likes to bring up really isn't as shiny and pretty as he makes it out to be. I have no doubt that there are high schools who could have kept it close with Lafayette during the dark days.

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Pard4Life:

I will definetely try to remember that, thanks for the offer. I like Coffey Field since is tucked into a corner of the campus and it's very scenic. At the top of the bleachers, you can see all the surrounding colors and I think the top of the Botanical Gardens. And you've got a nice building right alongside the field.

How is the FieldTurf playing surface going to conflict with the baseball diamond in the spring? Or has baseball been moved? I don't really mind sitting on the Fordham side, but it is a little corny having no visitor stands. It is probably not worth the money for Fordham to construct temporary or permanent stands since they don't see huge visiting parties usually. I'd rather sit on the Fordham sideline, with very good sightlines, than have to sit on collapsible bleachers and struggle to see the field. Marist had collpasibles and it was hard to see the game.

I did not see much of the facilities, but I get the feeling they seemed a bit cramped when I was walking through the football areas. They press-conference room was pretty small and not much room to move at all. It also looked like it was their film room too.

PS Fordham is by far the best press box food I've had. :nod:

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Someone correctly pointed out that my comments about academics in an earlier post were out of place. I wanted it back right after I hit the "send" button, but... Anyway, my comments were particularly uncalled for since they came from someone who could not even participate in this give and take without the benefit of spell check.

Another note to the I-AA community:

Now that is how you come back and face the music. Way to have a backbone carney. I hope you stick around AGS. :xmas:

Finally, any thoughts on an 8th Patriot League school for football? With only 7 teams and the dismal playoff performance since Colgate's ice bowl run to the finals. ya gotta believe that their automatic bid may eventually be in jeopardy without that 8th team.

This subject gets thrown around a lot, but I don't think the PL's autobid is in ANY trouble right now. Three out of the four playoff games we've lost since 2003 have been respectable. And, if they're looking to take a bid away, the MEAC and OVC are in line before the PL.

TypicalTribe
December 9th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I don't care what the scores have been, but if you beat one of your conference "rivals" ten straight times, you can definitely claim to "own" them.

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM
There really ought to be an asterisk next to the 1997-2001 as we had a dipsh*it leading the college and publically talking about moving the team to DII. Neither Colgate nor Lehigh nor anyone else could succeed with that stinking albatross around the neck. So the decade of Dominance that 13 likes to bring up really isn't as shiny and pretty as he makes it out to be. I have no doubt that there are high schools who could have kept it close with Lafayette during the dark days.

Now now my friend, don't get frosty just because we beat you again this year and it happened to back up my assertion in the offseason that Colgate reloads. ;) The ball is now in the Leopard court: do you have what it takes to compete, year in and year out, after losing your senior class? We shall see. :rotateh:

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Oct. 7 at Columbia -Win
Oct. 21 Holy Cross - Win
Oct. 28 Colgate -Win
Nov. 4 at Fordham -Win
Nov. 11 Georgetwon -Win
Nov. 18 Lehigh -Win

Yeah, I'm not going to argue about that. We have only been Princeton four times EVER, 2000 and 2003 being the most recent. We can play with them, but our losses have come when we were not focused. They outplayed us in 2002, 2004 is the hurricane excuse, and this year.. well.. several things. The team won't be traveling directly from Easton this year, or so I've heard, so maybe that will help bring some focus. Yale is a question mark.. we have not played them since the early 1990s, and are 0-6 against them all-time. There is no real basis for analysis there. We don't ahve much of a record vs. Harvard.. 2-7, last win in 1996. But, all three of the last meetings ahve been close. Frankly, we blew two of them.. 2003 and 2005. UPenn has not been very kind to us either.

I don't know about schedulnig Willam and Mary.. that's a hike, but I have no clue why we haven't played Villanova or Hofstra... they are quick trips. We played Hofstra for a bit in the mid-90s, but that was all. And Villanova, if I can recall from the book, we havent played since 1922 or seomething.

The Pards staring 1-3?? Mmm I have a hard time forseeing that. Also, we do not put together uber-winning streaks like Lehigh has. I don't think we have won more than three or four in a row since Tavani has been here. Ironically, a loss to Colgate (can't believe I'm saying that) and two wins vs. the Ivies (which is highly possible) would look like a traditional W-L Lafayette year.

And in closing here is a funny fact; we have more wins vs. Penn St. and Pittsburgh than vs. Princeton, Harvard, Yale combined!!!

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM
whew... missed the sarcasm Marcus!

But I will disagree about the paragraph. It's been close, but it's always been Colgate... This past year was the best chance the Leopards had to break that streak. I see Colgate as having LC's number big time. Isn't the all time CU/LC record at something like 35-11?

9-35... I can't forget that.. it haunts me. :splat:

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2005, 02:27 PM
In order to make progress, Lafayette is going to have to beat the teams they haven't been able to beat in a long long time. Those teams are Princeton, Harvard, and Colgate. Not to take away from the UPenn game or the 142nd meeting, but IMO the three huge monkeys on the 'Pards back are Princeton, Harvard, and Colgate.

You might as well add the UPenn game to that trio. UPenn has manhandled the Pards this decade. I remember sitting in the stands in 2001 and 2002 and having it been the most disconcerting games I've watched in awhile... and frankly.. the last two (although Lehigh 2001 wasn't very fun). But, I will say the UPenn game is not as big of a monkey as the those three because nobody on the roster would have been there from 2002 (except Archie Fisher... his first career TD game too I think). UPenn will be a big monkey for Tavani and staff though.

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM
I don't care what the scores have been, but if you beat one of your conference "rivals" ten straight times, you can definitely claim to "own" them.

On the flip side, we are getting to close to saying "Lafayette owns Lehigh"...

oooops! :eek: :rotateh:

Pard94
December 9th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Now now my friend, don't get frosty just because we beat you again this year and it happened to back up my assertion in the offseason that Colgate reloads. ;) The ball is now in the Leopard court: do you have what it takes to compete, year in and year out, after losing your senior class? We shall see. :rotateh:

Oh we shall see my brother. I won't even point out that you beat us this year by three points thanks to a very controversial call...cause that would be whining and I'm not a whiner. I will point out that, though you may have in fact "reloaded", you shot some serious blanks against UNH with the whole world watching.

Don't worry about the Pards next year...the coaches seem to think the best is yet to come. That's good enough for me!

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Oh we shall see my brother. I won't even point out that you beat us this year by three points thanks to a very controversial call...cause that would be whining and I'm not a whiner. I will point out that, though you may have in fact "reloaded", you shot some serious blanks against UNH with the whole world watching.

Don't worry about the Pards next year...the coaches seem to think the best is yet to come. That's good enough for me!

LOW BLOW!!!! but I can take it ;) Besides, what does that say about the Leopards then???? :)

I hope your coaches are right. A third season of winning really establishes a program as not just a flash in the pan.

I think Colgate's going to build on this season and pick up right where we left off in the regular season. We've got two things to be concerned about IMO: Quarterback and Defensive Line. QB Saraceno is back, but he's got to dramatically improve his decision making or he might just get beat out by a sophomore. If he plays the same as 2005, we'll be an 8 win team again but lose some stupid ones. If he improves, we're nine wins or better in 2006 if....

The up and comers on the defensive line prove to be good enough. I think they will. 11 in a row,here we come! xazzxxazzxxazzxxazzxxsmoochx

Pard4Life
December 9th, 2005, 02:58 PM
LOW BLOW!!!! but I can take it ;) Besides, what does that say about the Leopards then???? :)

I hope your coaches are right. A third season of winning really establishes a program as not just a flash in the pan.

I think Colgate's going to build on this season and pick up right where we left off in the regular season. We've got two things to be concerned about IMO: Quarterback and Defensive Line. QB Saraceno is back, but he's got to dramatically improve his decision making or he might just get beat out by a sophomore. If he plays the same as 2005, we'll be an 8 win team again but lose some stupid ones. If he improves, we're nine wins or better in 2006 if....

The up and comers on the defensive line prove to be good enough. I think they will. 11 in a row,here we come!

Whatever! Now that's just cocky.. 2003 was an anomaly.

Now that frosh TE I've been hearing about.. that's scary.

colgate13
December 9th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Whatever! Now that's just cocky.. 2003 was an anomaly.

Now that frosh TE I've been hearing about.. that's scary.

3, 4 wins a row... that would be cocky. We're in double digits now. I'm beginning to think it's a way of life! :p

Back2Back05
December 24th, 2005, 01:10 PM

thats funny how Lafayette was ranked 18th overall in strength of schedule and i dont see Youngstown state up there pal. Most likely the reason why you were sitting at home first round of the playoffs.

Back2Back05
December 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM

UNREAL ha great response.

Back2Back05
December 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Colgate, who has frankly owned Lafayette for a decade,

Owned?? come on now. the past two games have ended in your favor on flukes and unfortunate events:

2004- A ball in and out of the hands of a receiver in the endzone, and a blocked fieldgoal to presever a 2 point win.
2005- having to put in a cold cornerback for him to bite on an out and up for a game winning TD. plus an early fumble on the one inch line that would have sealed the game for lafayette even with the late colgate score.

colgate13
December 28th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Owned?? come on now. the past two games have ended in your favor on flukes and unfortunate events:

2004- A ball in and out of the hands of a receiver in the endzone, and a blocked fieldgoal to presever a 2 point win.
2005- having to put in a cold cornerback for him to bite on an out and up for a game winning TD. plus an early fumble on the one inch line that would have sealed the game for lafayette even with the late colgate score.

You keep telling yourself that, and maybe, just maybe, it will change the outcome of the past 10 years.

Hello, Mr. Excuse Man?

Yes?

A Lafayette Fan needs a new one, got any?

When the outcome of the past 10 years STILL doesn't change no matter how much you want it to, try this mantra on for size:

A Win is a Win is a Win is a Win is a.....

ngineer
December 28th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Sounds like the same excuses Lehigh people have raised over the last two years with LC...Can't have it both ways. ;)

Pard4Life
December 29th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I'll be honest... as a Lafayette fan... they do own us... 9-35 can't mean much else unless we won some games in the past 5years. If we win this year, we change that in the short-term.

And just to show you I'm not going on overall records, we are 4-40 (something like that) vs. Princeton. Do they own us? No... b/c we won in 2000 and 2003, and the series has not been continuous. We only started playing them regularly again in the late 90s. Those losses were compiled way back in the day when PU had All-Americans and Heisman candidates.

ysubigred
December 29th, 2005, 10:14 AM
A question for Pard4Life or any other LU fan.

Over on the YSU board one of our prominent board members posted this;

"And by the way, Lafayette was contacted about our openings in the schedule next year--they're not interested".

Can anybody confirm this through your AD's office or from an insider? I'm sick of hearing about who won't play YSU. Personally, I feel that not enough is being done to get a complete DI schedule at YSU.

Thanks in advance.

Lafayette71
December 29th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Pard4Life:

Coffey was my least favorite road trip in my four years at Lafayette. The surface was in poor condition and you could smell the propane from the concession stand. The single grandstand is obviously a weakness, but I think an artificial surface will improve the football experience quite a bit. I thought the field condiiton was a bigger problem than the stands. It wasn't simply that the grass got torn up as the year progressed, but the soil underneath was black and gritty. The fact that I even took enough notice of that at the time is indicative of how bad it was. We played in light rain, and the surface didn't get muddy like you'd expect it to. It was more like getting sand stuck on you at the beach. the new fieldturf will be a welcome addition for teams traveling there next year.

Lafayette71
December 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM

10 straight is no joke, but The Pards went through a real tough five year stretch where we averaged somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 wins a year, while Ggate had some of their best teams in recent memory. This years game was a good indication of where things currently stand as Lafayette had an oppurtunity to seal the game with a late pick lost when a close call went the other way. Personally I think he was inbounds But I can't whine about that when we turned the ball over inside the 20 twice.

Pard4Life
December 29th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Coffey was my least favorite road trip in my four years at Lafayette. The surface was in poor condition and you could smell the propane from the concession stand. The single grandstand is obviously a weakness, but I think an artificial surface will improve the football experience quite a bit. I thought the field condiiton was a bigger problem than the stands. It wasn't simply that the grass got torn up as the year progressed, but the soil underneath was black and gritty. The fact that I even took enough notice of that at the time is indicative of how bad it was. We played in light rain, and the surface didn't get muddy like you'd expect it to. It was more like getting sand stuck on you at the beach. the new fieldturf will be a welcome addition for teams traveling there next year.

I can see what you are saying. Don't know if you were a player last year but 2004 sounded similiar. Chunks of dirt got kicked up and were sticking to everyone. The goal line area at the west endzone was a mess and looked like a minefield. The FieldTurf will definetely solve that. It poured on and off at Bucknell in 04 and the field seemed to hold well, albeit slick.

Just curious, what field do the players like to play on the most? How does Fisher stack up against everyone else?

Pard4Life
December 29th, 2005, 12:45 PM
10 straight is no joke, but The Pards went through a real tough five year stretch where we averaged somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 wins a year, while Ggate had some of their best teams in recent memory. This years game was a good indication of where things currently stand as Lafayette had an oppurtunity to seal the game with a late pick lost when a close call went the other way. Personally I think he was inbounds But I can't whine about that when we turned the ball over inside the 20 twice.

The late 90s games were Colgate blowouts, but every year since 2000 has been extremely close. Even in 2003, a blowout-looking score, we made a respectable comeback before giving in. We have been very close but just can't seem to make it over the hump... maybe this year..

SactoHornetFan
December 29th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Heck I would love to see my Sacramento State Hornets play someone other than a money game. It looks like we will take advantage of a 12th game.

So that basically gives us 8 conf. games (now the UNC is in the Sky), our annual games against Cal Poly and ucdavis-sucks, a 1-A money game, and hopefully another power I-AA squad.

The problem, is the travel. Several years ago, in 97, we travelled to Texas State. That was our last I-AA trip past the Rockies. In '02 we opened at UTEP, which has been our farthest trip since.

My guess would be we would sign if we had a home and home. Have any PL, A10 or GVC schools thought of contacting Sac State?

skinny_uncle
December 29th, 2005, 06:14 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, Indiana St and Missouri St.

waa waa waa waa waa waa
Would you like to play Missouri state? They were 2-1 when conference play started (losing to I-A Arkansas) and had a win over Northern Iowa this year. They took SIU to overtime on the road. Why don't you add them to your schedule?

ngineer
December 29th, 2005, 07:50 PM
A question for Pard4Life or any other LU fan.

Over on the YSU board one of our prominent board members posted this;

"And by the way, Lafayette was contacted about our openings in the schedule next year--they're not interested".

Can anybody confirm this through your AD's office or from an insider? I'm sick of hearing about who won't play YSU. Personally, I feel that not enough is being done to get a complete DI schedule at YSU.

Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean Lafayette as opposed to Lehigh (but you said LU) Lafayette is LC. Lehigh's schedule s set for the next two years. No openings.

ysubigred
December 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I assume you mean Lafayette as opposed to Lehigh (but you said LU) Lafayette is LC. Lehigh's schedule s set for the next two years. No openings.

Sorry I did mean LC :)

Pard4Life
December 30th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Sorry I did mean LC :)

Nope, no open dates. Everything booked between 2006-2009. I know it is unfortunate. YSU is not that far either and it'd be a quality game for both teams. We don't have any 'mega I-AA' teams on our schedule until 2009 except Colgate, Lehigh, UPenn, Harvard. The Ivies are top teams, but not everyone acknowledges that.

I posted on our board during the summer that the PL should have a rotational schedule with non-conference games against designated conferences each year. Like 2006, an A-10 team, 2007 SoCon game, 2008 Gateway game 2009 Big Sky, 2010 A-10 game... etc. Although I imagine getting each PL team and other conferences to agree to be impossible, at least Lafayette should follow that model to increase our national football profile and playoff resume. I like playing the Ivies, but I think we can cut a game, maybe two from that slate.

Of course, the counter arguement would be 'well we were 8-4 playing the same teams today as in the future, got an auto-bid, so why change the schedule?' Well truth be told, Lafayette needed many other teams to lose to get in, which happened fortunately. But that will not happen every year. If we can play teams from power conferences, win a game or two there in a season, go 8-4, we would increase our chances getting into the playoffs against dozens of hopeful teams and ultimately, be toughened for a national title run.