PDA

View Full Version : NDSU@SDSU, The Border Marker is On!!

JBB
August 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Single game tickets went on sale at SDSU this morning. There are good seats available. I got 50 yard line seats for $20 each on the BISON side. Time to get them is now. With the 6 PM kick off the tailgate should be a good one.

Caughlin Alumni is one of the great venues in the MVFC. Hospitality is always top notch and the football is never disappointing.

This is always a great game and its starting to look like a lot of BISON fans will be making the trip. Heres the ticket link:

LINK (https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&DB_KEY=)

GO BISON!!!!

RabidRabbit
August 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Brookings is a WONDERFUL place to catch the 96th game between these two Dakota State Ag Schools. xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Bison lead the series 51-39-5 (Loooonnngggg run in late 70's, 80's, early 90's), but haven't won in Brookings this century (last Bison win in Brookings, 1999). xthumbsupx

Unfortunately, Jacks haven't strung together 3 straight wins over the Bison since completed in 1961-62-63. xbawlingx

Come on out, since the Pheasant hunters will likely be MIA. xeekxxwhistlexxwhistlex

89rabbit
August 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Looking forward to this one! xthumbsupx Season tickets for me.

Go Jackrabbits!

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hopefully the MVC can move this game back to the end of schedule in future seasons.

MSUBear42
August 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Caughlin Alumni is one of the great venues in the MVFC.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Atmosphere wise xrotatehx, stadium xsmhx

mango43
August 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Hopefully the MVC can move this game back to the end of schedule in future seasons.

That's what I am hoping for as well...

89rabbit
August 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Atmosphere wise xrotatehx, stadium xsmhx

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics18/400/EZ/EZEKUPHCQAUBQEC.20071126161316.jpg

We are working to make it better and better. We started by putting in the best scoreboard in the conference and the Dykhouse Center is under constuction in the North End Zone.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&KEY=&ATCLID=3678629&SPID=7153&SPSID=337649

http://admin.xosn.com/pics11/640/KK/KKLQSPNIVKOMOUP.20090225214423.jpg

http://www.daktronics.com/Photos/2008/July/30/WP-12425_CC05623.jpg

MSUBear42
August 1st, 2009, 06:32 PM
That doesn't make up for holes in the roof of the press box, having standing water and dead bugs on the press box tables, and having the opposing team's staff have to wait to be let into the press box until just an hour and a half before kickoff.

TheBisonator
August 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
That doesn't make up for holes in the roof of the press box, having standing water and dead bugs on the press box tables, and having the opposing team's staff have to wait to be let into the press box until just an hour and a half before kickoff.

That should be embarrassing to Jacks fans.

Not to mention the east side bleachers that probably have violated all sorts of codes for years now...

Twentysix
August 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM

Well i hope your excited to see the Fargodome its quite nice. :P
http://www.practicematch.com/SharedFiles/PracticeTrack/Email/mschmidt/Image/fargodome.gif

the brookings game is gonna be hella fun Section R represent.

BisonNDSU
August 1st, 2009, 07:47 PM
as much as i hate sdsu. i love watching games in brookings. so much fun. and you can get right next to the action. i hope its a nice 60 degree day in october

cajundemon
August 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Looks like a great venue, natural grass field, stands right on the sideline, packed house, overcast day. College Football at its best.

89rabbit
August 1st, 2009, 08:38 PM
Hey MSUBear42, yup the stadium is old. Like I said we are working on it. Of course what is important is the product on the field. What role did your late entry into the press box play in the 43-13 beat down we put on you guys. ;) xlolx

Gringer1
August 1st, 2009, 08:50 PM
We are working to make it better and better. We started by putting in the best scoreboard in the conference and the Dykhouse Center is under constuction in the North End Zone.

http://www.daktronics.com/Photos/2008/July/30/WP-12425_CC05623.jpg

That is a nifty scoreboard, but it seems a little weird to have the yards gained broken down and displayed like that. Isn't it actually against NCAA rules to have a computer crunch numbers and inform the coaches during a game? Nah, I'm just being a hardliner.

89rabbit
August 1st, 2009, 08:53 PM
That should be embarrassing to Jacks fans.

Not to mention the east side bleachers that probably have violated all sorts of codes for years now...

The City of Fargo built you a nice stadium. Not a big fan of indoor football but, I loved winning the Dakota Marker there.

http://www.gojacks.com//pics/640/XD/XDRPUCZKNGYGRLQ.20081123035352.jpg

Outside football! xthumbsupx

http://www.gojacks.com//pics10/640/HQ/HQJXZZLEKDVEERA.20090714212811.jpg

darell1976
August 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I miss outdoor football. SDSU you have a very nice stadium and maybe in a couple years we can renew our relations with you. I would drive down for a UND-SDSU game....especially if the weather is nice why play indoors.:)

Uncle Buck
August 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I like the scoreboard and i like when they show the total yards gained, Delaware used to do that, not sure if they still do. The only thing i don't like, I would have preferred down and distance as well as qtr and yardline on the main board.

Redbird Ray
August 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I couldn't make it to the ISU game at Coughlin last year, but I saw it on Valley TV. Outdoor football in the Dakotas in November is hard core. Even though my team got throttled, it was great to see a team dominate in cold/snowy weather the way SDSU did.

The stadium does look a little like ours. Kind of crappy, but definitely room for improvement. That scoreboard is sweet though, and I'm sure the new endzone facility will be nice as well.

I don't totally have the MVFC TV schedule memorized, is the Dakota marker game going to be televised? It seems to me that a rivalry like that should be televised every season.

Hammersmith
August 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
I couldn't make it to the ISU game at Coughlin last year, but I saw it on Valley TV. Outdoor football in the Dakotas in November is hard core. Even though my team got throttled, it was great to see a team dominate in cold/snowy weather the way SDSU did.

The stadium does look a little like ours. Kind of crappy, but definitely room for improvement. That scoreboard is sweet though, and I'm sure the new endzone facility will be nice as well.

I don't totally have the MVFC TV schedule memorized, is the Dakota marker game going to be televised? It seems to me that a rivalry like that should be televised every season.

It's not part of the MVFC television package. There's a Minnesota/North Dakota hockey game at the same time, so it's very doubtful that FSN-North will pick it up(FSN-N has a contract with the Gophers). I suppose SDSU could move the start time to the afternoon, but SDSU has never put an effort into televising their games. Bison fans still haven't forgiven them for refusing FSN's offer to televise the game two years ago. NDSU was even willing to put up the money, but the SDSU AD wouldn't move the kickoff to accommodate FSN. At this point, the best chance would be for a joint effort between Hoak Media(owns all ND NBC stations plus the Fargo CBS affiliate) and some SD television station. I'm not holding my breath.

mango43
August 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
It's not part of the MVFC television package. There's a Minnesota/North Dakota hockey game at the same time, so it's very doubtful that FSN-North will pick it up(FSN-N has a contract with the Gophers). I suppose SDSU could move the start time to the afternoon, but SDSU has never put an effort into televising their games. Bison fans still haven't forgiven them for refusing FSN's offer to televise the game two years ago. NDSU was even willing to put up the money, but the SDSU AD wouldn't move the kickoff to accommodate FSN. At this point, the best chance would be for a joint effort between Hoak Media(owns all ND NBC stations plus the Fargo CBS affiliate) and some SD television station. I'm not holding my breath.

I think with the new AD some changes will be made regarding television of games...

I hope anyway...

MSUBear42
August 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Hey MSUBear42, yup the stadium is old. Like I said we are working on it. Of course what is important is the product on the field. What role did your late entry into the press box play in the 43-13 beat down we put on you guys. ;) xlolx

Touche'

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Big role or not, just kinda sucked.

Our football may have been bad, but our Sports Info department won best in the conference for a reason ;)

ValleyChamp
August 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
lol at the Dikehouse center...

JohnStOnge
August 2nd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Nothing to do with this particular game but I kind of regret not going up there to see McNeese play at South Dakota State last year. I thought about it. Talked to my brothers about it. My Dad served on the USS South Dakota. I've been to the Memorial in Sioux Falls. Talked to my brothers about going up there, looking at it, looking at my Dad's name on the roster, etc. But in the end we decided not to do it.

JackTwice
August 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM

Ahhh quit your whining. xsmiley_wix Those seats are my favorite seats.

As a matter of fact I am sitting in row 2 on the east side for the NDSU game.

BisonNDSU
August 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
The City of Fargo built you a nice stadium. Not a big fan of indoor football but, I loved winning the Dakota Marker there.

http://www.gojacks.com//pics/640/XD/XDRPUCZKNGYGRLQ.20081123035352.jpg

Outside football! xthumbsupx

http://www.gojacks.com//pics10/640/HQ/HQJXZZLEKDVEERA.20090714212811.jpg

you've only won in our indoor facility (Fargodome) ONCE haha.

i definately love outdoor football, but i don't love it in north dakota novembers.

thats why when i win the lotto i'm going to build a retractable roof stadium :)

SUUTbird
August 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
I really like South Dakotas Stadium, makes it harder for visiting teams that visit in October and November. And NDSU fans i would take SDSU's stadium any day over playing on that awful turf you guys use, tears your arms and legs up like none other.

BisonNDSU
August 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
I really like South Dakotas Stadium, makes it harder for visiting teams that visit in October and November. And NDSU fans i would take SDSU's stadium any day over playing on that awful turf you guys use, tears your arms and legs up like none other.

yeah, i bet your SUU T-bones were a little sore after getting thrown on that cement turf all the times you visited fargo

JBB
August 3rd, 2009, 06:34 AM
I dont know how many times I have been to Caughlin. I like it for all the reasons mentioned. When was the last time you were able to walk the sidelines moving with the ball? Unfortunately "The Game" is now much too big for that. It was absolutely packed last time we played there. Too bad its a six pm kickoff.

Row 2 on the east side are bad seats. you will have trouble seeing over, or past, the NDSU bench. I took row 8, section R, right on the 50, seats 1 & 2.

Turf at the Fabulous Fargo Dome is bad. Moving inside up here really helps make the game accessible to all demographics. Outside tailgating, inside football! Thats the best way.

mango43
August 3rd, 2009, 08:22 AM
I dont know how many times I have been to Caughlin. I like it for all the reasons mentioned. When was the last time you were able to walk the sidelines moving with the ball? Unfortunately "The Game" is now much too big for that. It was absolutely packed last time we played there. Too bad its a six pm kickoff.

Row 2 on the east side are bad seats. you will have trouble seeing over, or past, the NDSU bench. I took row 8, section R, right on the 50, seats 1 & 2.

Turf at the Fabulous Fargo Dome is bad. Moving inside up here really helps make the game accessible to all demographics. Outside tailgating, inside football! Thats the best way.

I beg to differ. Outside tailgating, outside football is the best way

UNIFanSince1983
August 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
I love outside football for about the first half of the season, but once it starts getting cold round these parts I love being able to go from tailgating outside to the nice 72 degrees inside the UNI-Dome.

RabidRabbit
August 3rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
While I LOVE CAS, and the outside atmosphere, there is little doubt that being outdoors KILLS attendence in cra*py Nov. weather. Other than the NDSU rivalry games starting with transition, attendence at Nov. games has been REALLY sad.

SDSU will need to figure out how to get the crowds out during wintery weather if SDSU ever plans to host a play-off game.

Redbird Ray
August 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
Sounds like we got some Vi-queens fans in this thread. Football was meant to be played outside. End of story.

JacksFan06
August 3rd, 2009, 09:20 AM
Checking out a game at SDSU is a great time with great atmosphere. In reply to the Missouri St fan, I have no doubt that the press box is inferior to other press boxes in the MVC but luckily for us fans we don't ever have to go in there.

As far as outdoor football vs indoor football, I know I'd rather see an outdoor game at 10 degrees and snowing than ever go inside and play but I understand I'm in the minority on that one. Especially for women, children, & older fans.

Can't wait for this season to get started, SDSU has another great slate of home games this year.

Georiga Southern, Indiana St, NDSU, UNI, & SIU

Some good photos to check out from McNeese St fan Doc

http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/sdsu08.asp

JacksFan06
August 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Forgot to mention, the best part about Coughlin is that you can stroll along the opposing team sideline and be 10 yards from the action.

Once again, photos from http://www.geauxcowboys-eastside.org/sdsu08.asp

RabidRabbit
August 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Sounds like we got some Vi-queens fans in this thread. Football was meant to be played outside. End of story.

CAS and the wintery weather of Nov. played host to the Redbirds before only 3276 fans. xnonoxxnonox

Berry sets MVFC and SDSU career records, keeps the Jacks in line for a play-off spot, and only 3.3K watch? xsmhxxsmhx

When the fall weather is there, CAS and outdoors is a great venue to draw the crowds. xthumbsupx

When it snowing and blowing, Jacks don't draw the crowds. (to football) --Basketball - Jacks can pack Frost Arena!

JacksFan06
August 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
CAS and the wintery weather of Nov. played host to the Redbirds before only 3276 fans. xnonoxxnonox

Berry sets MVFC and SDSU career records, keeps the Jacks in line for a play-off spot, and only 3.3K watch? xsmhxxsmhx

When the fall weather is there, CAS and outdoors is a great venue to draw the crowds. xthumbsupx

When it snowing and blowing, Jacks don't draw the crowds. (to football) --Basketball - Jacks can pack Frost Arena!

Depends on who we play, I believe IL ST was 3-5 when we played them. If that game was versus a better team the attendance would have been much larger.

UNIFanSince1983
August 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
All this talk, I may have to drive to CAS for the Hobo Day match up.

land_grant_bison
August 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM
I got a hunch that SDSU beats UNI this year. Four in a row is tough especially when it's for SDSU's homecoming this go around. Back to the Dakota Marker game......It's about time to return to our winning ways over the Jacks. The fact that they beat arguably one of our best squads in 2007 gained a lot of respect from me, but they still need to have a couple of championships and a streak of 17 straight against us before I loathe them. Come on bison don't let the streak continue; should be a fun one down in Brookings.

JBB
August 3rd, 2009, 12:07 PM

The only game "meant" to be played outside was hockey.

This game will once again be one of the largest sporting events in the history of the Dakotas. I think CAS holds more folks than the FFD because there seems to be endless space in the endzones and the sidelines. Im not sure what posted attendance was last time NDSU was there but it had to be well in excess of 16,000?

There is something to be said for the newer, fancier venues for football, but CAS has it all. The tailgate is in the "backyard" and is really second to none. The stadium is a classic outdoor football field that can really get rocking, their band is one of the best and the folks are always welcoming and friendly while remaining SDSU fans. Its a lot of fun to visit even as a BISON fan. I imagine at CAS its the same for all visiting teams and their fans?

Dont forget to buy a hotdog. Best in the league.

RabidRabbit
August 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
This game will once again be one of the largest sporting events in the history of the Dakotas. I think CAS holds more folks than the FFD because there seems to be endless space in the endzones and the sidelines. Im not sure what posted attendance was last time NDSU was there but it had to be well in excess of 16,000?

A rare day for November games. High of 36, and 15 mph winds (a mild SD day). 16, 345 attended, setting a new record.

Should be a great evening to catch the Jacks and Bison in action! xthumbsupx

mango43
August 3rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
A rare day for November games. High of 36, and 15 mph winds (a mild SD day). 16, 345 attended, setting a new record.

I don't know what game you were at but there was no way that it was only 15 mph winds and a mild SD day, I was freezing the whole time even with plenty of booze in me. I guess that it could have been because I body painted...

RabidRabbit
August 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I don't know what game you were at but there was no way that it was only 15 mph winds and a mild SD day, I was freezing the whole time even with plenty of booze in me. I guess that it could have been because I body painted...

I was sequestered in a sports bar in Tallahassee FL :p:p Cheering on the 'Rabbits as Hurricanes/'Noles prepped for their game 1/2 mile away. xsmiley_wix

I still find it a pleasurable memory to see those packed stands!xthumbsupx

Thundar
August 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM

19,053 in Fargo on 2006
16,345 in Brookings Last year

so where in the worl would you put 2,800 more people at CAS to hold more than the FD??

mango43
August 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
19,053 in Fargo on 2006
16,345 in Brookings Last year

so where in the worl would you put 2,800 more people at CAS to hold more than the FD??

You might want to ask JBB because he is the one that said it not rabidrabbit.

JBB
August 3rd, 2009, 07:33 PM
Yea, I did say that but was only speculating. I actually had no idea but the way I remember it is like the picture posted from the game. It sure seemed like more than 16,345.

I remember it as a grey November day a little brisk but nothing a true North Dakota boy dressed for the weather would complain about. xthumbsupx

BisonNDSU
August 3rd, 2009, 11:31 PM
i imagine brookings will be very green that night. i can't wait.

BearsCountry
August 4th, 2009, 10:55 AM
I sat and watched a Chiefs game last year in -9 degree weather. Man it was miserable. I think the weather was better than the product on the field. But I can see why you guys up North have domes.

CrazyCat
August 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I sat and watched a Chiefs game last year in -9 degree weather. Man it was miserable. I think the weather was better than the product on the field. But I can see why you guys up North have domes.

This statement got me wondering about avg. temps and such. No smack intended just info.

Avg monthly temps

...................Sep. Oct. Nov.
Fargo ..........70.. 56... 35
Brookings ....72.. 59... 40
Bozeman .....71.. 59 ...42
Missoula ......71.. 59... 41

onbison09
August 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Now THIS is outdoor football http://www.youtube.com/user/BisonTra...1?feature=moby! Anyone at that game? Any stadium that has porta-potties has a ways to go. I'll agree the atmosphere is good but they gotta do a better job with some of the stuff.

FargoBison
August 4th, 2009, 12:32 PM
This statement got me wondering about avg. temps and such. No smack intended just info.

Avg monthly temps

Too bad wind isn't taken into account, I can be fine in 35 degree temps down to about 10 sitting outside but when that wind gets blowing 20-35 miles per hour it is unbearable.

Gringer1
August 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
That link doesn't work for me. Youtube says the username is invalid.

onbison09
August 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQA32epSos

Gringer1
August 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Wow. I'm surprised they played in that. Poor Augustana looked like they just didn't want to be there. What was going on with NDSU not being able to make any extra points? Did they just not try because of the weather?

darell1976
August 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Now that is football!! But i am sure if that was in the Fargodome especially in 1986 that score would have been 81-0 instead of 18-0...NDSU had a killer team that year. I remember digging out my seat at Memorial Stadium for a Sioux playoff game against Mankato in the late 90's and one year they had to cancel a game with Northern Colorado due to a blizzard in i think 92. Those are the reasons we have domes here. FargoBison is right temp doesn't really matter up here...its the wind!!!!

Canyoncat
August 4th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Try this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQA32epSos

xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx

Was that Earl????????????????????????//xpissedx

Had to stop watching, it sent shivers up my spine.

onbison09
August 4th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Now that is football!! But i am sure if that was in the Fargodome especially in 1986 that score would have been 81-0 instead of 18-0...NDSU had a killer team that year. I remember digging out my seat at Memorial Stadium for a Sioux playoff game against Mankato in the late 90's and one year they had to cancel a game with Northern Colorado due to a blizzard in i think 92. Those are the reasons we have domes here. FargoBison is right temp doesn't really matter up here...its the wind!!!!

Here's the national title game from that year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aPN7Gtxrg&feature=channel
And here's an example of a typical Sioux game :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ZjbIpcvPI&feature=channel
We won the national title in 1983, lost on a last second FG in 84, and won it in 85, 86, 88, 90

cowbellnation
August 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM

Avg monthly temps

You try to make a point, but you have none. You are forgetting it is a tad bit windier in the Dakotas compared to Montana. 35 Degrees + 30 MPH wind=Pretty Darn Cold. It's good they don't play football in January regularly, because I dare any team in the country to come to CAS when it would be -50 wind chill.

darell1976
August 4th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Here's the national title game from that year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aPN7Gtxrg&feature=channel
And here's an example of a typical Sioux game :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ZjbIpcvPI&feature=channel
We won the national title in 1983, lost on a last second FG in 84, and won it in 85, 86, 88, 90

Yikes!!! 1990 is when the Sioux started to have good seasons of course our success against NDSU didn't start until 1993. I miss those games outside nice and sunny...and cold!!!:)

JBB
August 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM
The Blizzard game:

The names, Bentrim, Muckenhern, Loyld, Debates, Dick, Molstre, Stark, Favor, Kretchman, Braxton... These are some of the names etched in BISON Lore.

The weather was a factor. Its part of the history of the storied Dacotah Field.

This is the famous, at least for our crowd, “Bad Coffee” game. A few fraternity boys were hauling out one of their own. He was retching and puking but they were assuring every one he was ok “just bad coffee”!

Good crowd considering the weather.

Imagine Ed Schults being so quiet and reasonable in his interview!!

Thanks for posting that.

Ps. not surprised to see UND fans piping in. What else do they have?

JBB
August 4th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The weather in Brookings and Fargo isnt much different, but playing conditions are. They are always perfect at the Fabulous Fargo Dome. Thats the beauty of playing inside. Why should the weather be an excuse or an advantage? The programs are putting all they have into the competition, it shouldnt ride on a hot muggy day, the temperature, the wind or the rain. It should be on the coaches, the players and the execution of the individual. There are no excuses when a team leaves Fargo and the Fabulous Fargo Dome. You cant say that for Caughlin.

I propose the Border Marker Game be moved to Fargo forever, eliminating excuses and allowing the teams to play in perfect conditions every time.

bisonguy
August 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM
xeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekxxeekx

Was that Earl????????????????????????//xpissedx

Had to stop watching, it sent shivers up my spine.

Chea, and the host of MSNBC's "The Ed Show". xnodx

89rabbit
August 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
The weather in Brookings and Fargo isnt much different, but playing conditions are. They are always perfect at the Fabulous Fargo Dome. Thats the beauty of playing inside. Why should the weather be an excuse or an advantage? The programs are putting all they have into the competition, it shouldnt ride on a hot muggy day, the temperature, the wind or the rain. It should be on the coaches, the players and the execution of the individual. There are no excuses when a team leaves Fargo and the Fabulous Fargo Dome. You cant say that for Caughlin.

I propose the Border Marker Game be moved to Fargo forever, eliminating excuses and allowing the teams to play in perfect conditions every time.

Maybe the players could just wear flags. xrolleyesx

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pics/640/XD/XDRPUCZKNGYGRLQ.20081123035352.jpg

SDSU 25 - NDSU 24 @ Fargo

No excuses! xcoolx

ncbears
August 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe the players could just wear flags. xrolleyesx

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pics/640/XD/XDRPUCZKNGYGRLQ.20081123035352.jpg

SDSU 25 - NDSU 24 @ Fargo

No excuses! xcoolx

That #32 dude needs to get into the weight room. Looks like he's having a hard time lifting that rock.

JBB
August 4th, 2009, 10:49 PM
The Boarder Marker is a symbol of a lot of things. The holder has the responsibility carrying the torch. Here is how the "Marker Game" gathered steam over the years:

In 2003 there were 14,108 in Fargo. Begining of Marker series, I think.
In 2004,12,323 in Brookings
in 2005, 15,777 In Fargo
in 2006, 19.053 in Fargo For GWC football championship and now football title of the Dakota
in 2007, 16,345 in Brookings For GWC football championship and football title of the Dakotas
in 2008, 18,048 in Fargo For football championship of the Dakotas
In 2009, ????? in Brookings for football championship of the Dakotas and possibly MVFC champmionship and/or playoff spot

I expect it will be sold out in Brookings for 2009. Just the football champmionship of the Dakotas is enough to make it big.

89rabbit
August 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
The Boarder Marker is a symbol of a lot of things. The holder has the responsibility carrying the torch. Here is how the "Marker Game" gathered steam over the years:

In 2003 there were 14,108 in Fargo. Begining of Marker series, I think.
In 2004,12,323 in Brookings
in 2005, 15,777 In Fargo
in 2006, 19.053 in Fargo For GWC football championship and now football title of the Dakota
in 2007, 16,345 in Brookings For GWC football championship and football title of the Dakotas
in 2008, 18,048 in Fargo For football championship of the Dakotas
In 2009, ????? in Brookings for football championship of the Dakotas and possibly MVFC champmionship and/or playoff spot

I expect it will be sold out in Brookings for 2009. Just the football champmionship of the Dakotas is enough to make it big.

The first Marker game was in 2004

In 2004,12,323 in Brookings - SDSU Win
in 2005, 15,777 In Fargo - NDSU Win
in 2006, 19.053 in Fargo For GWC football championship and now football title of the Dakota - NDSU Win
in 2007, 16,345 in Brookings For GWC football championship and football title of the Dakotas - SDSU Win
in 2008, 18,048 in Fargo For football championship of the Dakotas -SDSU Win

land_grant_bison
August 4th, 2009, 11:26 PM
The first game was definitely in 2004, I remember watching on TV and just being shocked at the final horn....lousy. Other than that one I've been to every other game in person, so I guess I'll have to support the SDSU athletic department this year by buying a ticket to the duel of the Dakotas.

darell1976
August 5th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Just a question to NDSU/SDSU fans when the rivalry between the SU's and the XD's start up again will the border marker game still be as big?? Or will more fans in both states take up more interest with their in-state rivals? I think it will especailly since UND and NDSU could get together in 2012 and both will be playoff eligible.

BirdieJack
August 5th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Just a question to NDSU/SDSU fans when the rivalry between the SU's and the XD's start up again will the border marker game still be as big?? Or will more fans in both states take up more interest with their in-state rivals? I think it will especailly since UND and NDSU could get together in 2012 and both will be playoff eligible.

From one SDSU's fan's perspective I'll compare it to the state of Michigan:

I'm sure MSU likes to think they're UM's biggest rival, but we all know it's not true. MSU would be USD.

Again...just one SDSU's fan's opinion. I'll let USD fans come on here and prove me right.:)

Go Jacks!!

BisonNDSU
August 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
i like sdsu as a rival. its nodak vs. sodak. a nice rivalry

i also like und as a rival though. wow those games are the craziest, most passionate games ever. so much hatred for eachother is unreal. the entire state watches it.

that being said....i don't think once sdsu/usd and ndsu/und start up again it will affect the dakota marker game. it has turned out to be a great balanced rivalry as of late...with great games....true classics

89rabbit
August 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM

IMHO, NDSU will be bigger because we are both in the Missouri Valley while USD is in the Great West.

onbison09
August 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
UND is still our true rival. Just look at which smack thread gets more traffic.

darell1976
August 5th, 2009, 03:00 PM
i like sdsu as a rival. its nodak vs. sodak. a nice rivalry

i also like und as a rival though. wow those games are the craziest, most passionate games ever. so much hatred for eachother is unreal. the entire state watches it.

that being said....i don't think once sdsu/usd and ndsu/und start up again it will affect the dakota marker game. it has turned out to be a great balanced rivalry as of late...with great games....true classics

Too bad they got rid of the Sitting Bull Trophy(winner of the UND-USD games now retired) so we can have something to play for. Is that Dakota Marker heavier than the Nickel Trophy?? That thing looks heavy.

darell1976
August 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
IMHO, NDSU will be bigger because we are both in the Missouri Valley while USD is in the Great West.

For now.:D;)

WestRiverBison
August 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Agreed. The conference implications take this up a notch versus OOC games.

BisonNDSU
August 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
ALL HAIL THE BISON AND THE JACKS FOR MAKING A GREAT DAY EVERY FALL.

HERE HERE!!!

89rabbit
August 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Too bad they got rid of the Sitting Bull Trophy(winner of the UND-USD games now retired) so we can have something to play for. Is that Dakota Marker heavier than the Nickel Trophy?? That thing looks heavy.

With the base I think it is around 230 lbs.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b7/Dakota_Marker.JPG/180px-Dakota_Marker.JPG

DuckDuckGriz
August 5th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I am a big fan of that trophy - although I do like the fact that you can't even carry the Brawl of the Wild one......that Dakota Marker is simple and just cool

Yote 53
August 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
USD is still SDSU's rival and UND/NDSU are still rivals. It's just more of a Cold War going on now.

For USD, North Dakota has been and always will be a big game. We've played each other every year since 1915 (with the exception of 1918 due to the Great War and 1943-1945 for World War II) and the game has grown much more intense in recent years. Just like the SDSU and NDSU game has heated up in recent years.

All four Dakota schools have deep traditions of playing each other that go back to the beginning of the last century. You could realistically say that all 4 schools are in a rivalry with each other. It depends on the era you look at which one is most heated.

I agree, if we can't have Sitting Bull back then the USD/UND series should come up with another travelling trophy.

mango43
August 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
ALL HAIL THE BISON AND THE JACKS FOR MAKING A GREAT DAY EVERY FALL.

HERE HERE!!!

++++++++++

Can't wait for October 17!

JBB
August 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the update on 2004 being the first Marker Game. 2003 was the last year in the NCC and grace year the Mighty Land Grants offered the conference to get it together.

The stars aligned for the Marker Game to be huge. The Mighty Land grants transitioned into D1 and started a conference. It truly became a very big regional game of interest even to the casual fans. It is the states, South Dakota vs. North Dakota, in a way it never was before. As pointed out there is a lot riding on the Marker game these days.

Its understandable those on the outside looking in want a piece of this action. It is THE GAME in Dakota college football and its hard to see how it could be replaced. As already mentioned it has major conference implications, playoff implications, a long and storied history going back 100 years or so, a great symbol in the Marker itself and of course the inter state interest and the de-facto football bragging rights over all others.

It has something else that is rare as well. The Mighty Land Grants are true rivals, competing at the highest level as trusted friends. Mutual respect doesnt give you page after page of hate spew, thats called contempt. Thats nothing to be proud of. Ill take this rivalry any day over the bad old days. The Border Marker is new, fun and exciting.

89rabbit
August 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the update on 2004 being the first Marker Game. 2003 was the last year in the NCC and grace year the Mighty Land Grants offered the conference to get it together.

The stars aligned for the Marker Game to be huge. The Mighty Land grants transitioned into D1 and started a conference. It truly became a very big regional game of interest even to the casual fans. It is the states, South Dakota vs. North Dakota, in a way it never was before. As pointed out there is a lot riding on the Marker game these days.

Its understandable those on the outside looking in want a piece of this action. It is THE GAME in Dakota college football and its hard to see how it could be replaced. As already mentioned it has major conference implications, playoff implications, a long and storied history going back 100 years or so, a great symbol in the Marker itself and of course the inter state interest and the de-facto football bragging rights over all others.

It has something else that is rare as well. The Mighty Land Grants are true rivals, competing at the highest level as trusted friends. Mutual respect doesnt give you page after page of hate spew, thats called contempt. Thats nothing to be proud of. Ill take this rivalry any day over the bad old days. The Border Marker is new, fun and exciting.

Agreed! xnodx

mango43
August 6th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Couldn't have said it any better myself

darell1976
August 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Nice story JBB but you actually think this rival will outdo the UND/NDSU rival for the hundred years of playing? Whatever. You keep thinking that SDSU is your true rival when many Bison fans load up on the hotdogs and beer at the Dome seeing the Yellow and Green against the Green and White, and ask them why are you here our rival is SDSU? Then as they laugh at you, think to yourself who was your rival prior to 2003...it wasn't SDSU. If it was why was the Nickel Trophy so important that students on both sides invaded each others campus' to steal it year in and year out. If UND/NDSU wasn't so big why was it profiled on Football America for the whole world to see what a rival game on the D2 level is. When, and not if the rival game between the XD's and the SU's continue IMO this game between UND/USD, and NDSU/SDSU will be put on the backburner at least in this state. And it won't be long before the GWFC dissolves leaving us XD's joining your conference and being back where 2003 left us. I am not trying to hijack the thread you guys enjoy your Border Marker game..good luck to both sides I don't care who wins since UND isn't eligible for playoffs til 2012. xthumbsupx

SUUTbird
August 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Just wondering, if NDSU and ND is such a huge rivalry game why havent you guys scheduled each other yet since ND is moving up? Would have thought it would have been the first game announced. And i think the Border Marker is a great rivalry game pitting north vs south, even though ive got to say tha Jacks will take it again this year xthumbsupx

Go Bison
August 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Just wondering, if NDSU and ND is such a huge rivalry game why havent you guys scheduled each other yet since ND is moving up? Would have thought it would have been the first game announced. And i think the Border Marker is a great rivalry game pitting north vs south, even though ive got to say tha Jacks will take it again this year xthumbsupx

They are working on scheduling again but since UND took a break NDSU decided to schedule other teams. The schedule is pretty full for the next few year and that is when it is likely that they play again. Ideally, UND would have never cancelled the rivarly to begin with but that is opening another can of worms.

darell1976
August 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
They are working on scheduling again but since UND took a break NDSU decided to schedule other teams. The schedule is pretty full for the next few year and that is when it is likely that they play again. Ideally, UND would have never cancelled the rivarly to begin with but that is opening another can of worms. Well UND kinda did, it was the former AD Roger Thomas and former president Charles Kupchella that didn't want to schedule NDSU they didn't even want UND to move up to D1, but now with a new AD and new president i think they would love to schedule NDSU but the schedule is full on both sides I think maybe 2012 would be the earliest and IMO makes the best sense to re-start the rival since UND will be eligible for playoffs so that makes the game even more important plus there is no talk whether or not the Nickel Trophy will be brought back since UND's nickname may be gone in October. So there is a lot of political crap with the rival so maybe its all because of this NDSU decided on staying with SDSU as a rival and put UND on the backburner. Also because of the sucess that NDSU has had recently in sports (March Madness, beating the Gophers, GWFC title) it seems like a no-brainer to pick the closest D1 school to you that has as much hype at NDSU but because we are still in transition it wouldn't mean as much to NDSU as it would to UND.

mango43
August 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Nice story JBB but you actually think this rival will outdo the UND/NDSU rival for the hundred years of playing? Whatever. You keep thinking that SDSU is your true rival when many Bison fans load up on the hotdogs and beer at the Dome seeing the Yellow and Green against the Green and White, and ask them why are you here our rival is SDSU? Then as they laugh at you, think to yourself who was your rival prior to 2003...it wasn't SDSU. If it was why was the Nickel Trophy so important that students on both sides invaded each others campus' to steal it year in and year out. If UND/NDSU wasn't so big why was it profiled on Football America for the whole world to see what a rival game on the D2 level is. When, and not if the rival game between the XD's and the SU's continue IMO this game between UND/USD, and NDSU/SDSU will be put on the backburner at least in this state. And it won't be long before the GWFC dissolves leaving us XD's joining your conference and being back where 2003 left us. I am not trying to hijack the thread you guys enjoy your Border Marker game..good luck to both sides I don't care who wins since UND isn't eligible for playoffs til 2012. xthumbsupx

I love how you just assume you are going to be in the Missouri Valley, it's not that easy...

darell1976
August 6th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I love how you just assume you are going to be in the Missouri Valley, it's not that easy...

If it worked for NDSU, and SDSU to leave the GWFC why not UND and USD? Maybe the MV is looking to expand membership and split into divisions you never know.

mango43
August 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM
If it worked for NDSU, and SDSU to leave the GWFC why not UND and USD? Maybe the MV is looking to expand membership and split into divisions you never know.

Gee living off what SDSU and NDSU did again...

What SDSU and NDSU did has no bearing on what will happen to USD and UND. I don't see the Missouri Valley expanding, there is 9 teams in the conference and if they add both USD and UND that gives them 11 and it would be impossible to split the conferences.

darell1976
August 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Gee living off what SDSU and NDSU did again...

What SDSU and NDSU did has no bearing on what will happen to USD and UND. I don't see the Missouri Valley expanding, there is 9 teams in the conference and if they add both USD and UND that gives them 11 and it would be impossible to split the conferences.

But add one more you got 12..see where i am going with this. I am not saying within the next few years but maybe down the road.

89rabbit
August 6th, 2009, 06:28 PM

And maybe they are not. Everything I hear out of the Valley is that 9 is the perfect number.

darell1976
August 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
And maybe they are not. Everything I hear out of the Valley is that 9 is the perfect number.

Fair enough.:)

NDSUDude
August 6th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I am sorry but nothing is going to happen until the "nickname crisis" is resolved. UND isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

darell1976
August 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I am sorry but nothing is going to happen until the "nickname crisis" is resolved. UND isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.

So nothing until October?? Thats month after next.xconfusedx

slostang
August 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Single game tickets went on sale at SDSU this morning. There are good seats available. I got 50 yard line seats for $20 each on the BISON side. Time to get them is now. With the 6 PM kick off the tailgate should be a good one.

Caughlin Alumni is one of the great venues in the MVFC. Hospitality is always top notch and the football is never disappointing.

This is always a great game and its starting to look like a lot of BISON fans will be making the trip. Heres the ticket link:

LINK (https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&DB_KEY=)

GO BISON!!!!

Hey JBB, I hear the best football in the Dakota's is still being played in the Great West.xsmiley_wix

Just having some fun. This is a game that I always look forward to. It is usually a brawl. Here to another great Border Marker game.

I am also looking forward to the Jacks visiting SLO this season and hope to the Bison on one or more of Cal Poly's future schedules. Great fans and football at both schools.

F'N Hawks
August 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Might want to check with Stig and ask him why at the coaches meeting they discussed going to two divisions so they can lock up more playoff spots, ala, the CAA. They really took notice this year when they only got 2 spots and the CAA got 5.

darell1976
August 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Might want to check with Stig and ask him why at the coaches meeting they discussed going to two divisions so they can lock up more playoff spots, ala, the CAA. They really took notice this year when they only got 2 spots and the CAA got 5.

And you can have odd number teams in 2 divisions...example the MAC 13 teams, 2 divisions.

BirdieJack
August 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I was watching "Shark Week" and I noticed around most of the sharks there was always a little fish swimming around underneath them. I just thought it was a baby shark, but then the narrator mentioned that it was a fish(can't remember its name) that survived by feeding off the scraps of the Shark it's entire life.
Made me think of USD and UND the past couple of years.xsmiley_wix

Disclaimer: Meant for Humor...not Smack.

Go Jacks!!

darell1976
August 7th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I was watching "Shark Week" and I noticed around most of the sharks there was always a little fish swimming around underneath them. I just thought it was a baby shark, but then the narrator mentioned that it was a fish(can't remember its name) that survived by feeding off the scraps of the Shark it's entire life.
Made me think of USD and UND the past couple of years.xsmiley_wix

Disclaimer: Meant for Humor...not Smack.

Go Jacks!!

xlolxxlolx Actually that would be us. I am sure some people at UND who aren't there anymore thought the move by the SU's was a bad decision now that they are being successful they want in. Yeah we are the little fish that might take a bite out of the big sharks in a few years.xsmiley_wix

89rabbit
August 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM

My sources are higher on the food chain. xnodx

Redbird Ray
August 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Does anyone think if the MVFC, CAA and maybe the Southland were to ever all go to 12 teams, that ESPN would pick up a conference title game (if there even was a conference title game)? I think the top leagues in FCS should have their premier teams showcased on a national stage just as much (probably deserving more, but realistically speaking) as Kent State and Eastern Michigan.

I would be all for going to 12 teams if it meant for TV coverage/exposure.

JBB
August 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
UND fans are on this thread bringing up the past. Dreaming of going back in time, but the Mighty Land Grants have no reason to look back.

The Border Marker is "The Game". It has risen to its lofty status for a lot of reasons.
It stands on its own as a phenomena. It is the beacon of Division 1 in the Dakotas that illuminates the leadership of the Mighty Land grants. It puts both Universities on display. Its a wonderful showcase game. Its fun, its new, its a celebration of success. Its the future not the past, its history and legend in the making. Its alive, not dead. It inherited all that was good from the bad old days and the old in-state rival games. Because it involved both states it was magnified in importance. it filled a void and is now a major sporting event. The largest sporting event in the history of the Dakotas.

darell1976
August 7th, 2009, 01:51 PM
UND fans are on this thread bringing up the past. Dreaming of going back in time, but the Mighty Land Grants have no reason to look back.

The Border Marker is "The Game". It has risen to its lofty status for a lot of reasons.
It stands on its own as a phenomena. It is the beacon of Division 1 in the Dakotas that illuminates the leadership of the Mighty Land grants. It puts both Universities on display. Its a wonderful showcase game. Its fun, its new, its a celebration of success. Its the future not the past, its history and legend in the making. Its alive, not dead. It inherited all that was good from the bad old days and the old in-state rival games. Because it involved both states it was magnified in importance. it filled a void and is now a major sporting event. The largest sporting event in the history of the Dakotas.

Just keep thinking that JBB. xrolleyesx

mmiller_34
August 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Just keep thinking that JBB. xrolleyesx

we dont have to think about it.. we've seen it. xthumbsupx

SDFS
August 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Oh - what am I going to do on this weekend all of the Dakota's will be talking about the big game...

Or I might be at the Regional Sports Event of the weekend with two national powers squaring off in one of best rivalry in all of college sports. Fans will be talking about the game all week as they prepared for the weekend games, tickets will be at a premium (usually selling out in 2 to 5 minutes), regional sports talk radio will be on site with live remotes, regional sports coverage. It will be a HFH weekend in Grand Forks and it does not get any better than that.. A little pregame prior to UND/UM hockey game followed by a little post game. Then the next morning will be little pregame tailgating for the Sioux Football game followed by pre/post game with another hockey game followed by a little more post game...
(I will need to take PTO day on Monday to recover).

JBB have a great time in Brookings, -- NOTE: I have nothing against SDSU or Brookings.. I have had some great times in Brookings, but I think UND will keep the rest of the state of North Dakota entertained up North.

I supposed you could pick up the SDSU/NDSU game on the radio - Jacks radio is "Your Big Friend in the Midwest Radio 570 WNAX". I do hope that it is a another good game.. best of luck to both teams..

JBB
August 7th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Whats the point of rolling out the biggest cliche in the history of sports in North Dakota: "We have hockey".!!! xlolx This is an FCS football board. Its about football, not the niche sport of hockey. Its lucky you have the niche sport because you would have nothing without it. Certainly nobody is trying to take anything away from hockey, but there is not as much there as you might think. After all how tough can it be to claim what a big deal it is. UND has the only college hockey program in the Dakotas and it still barely registers outside the niche audience of the niche sport.

But hey, knock yourself out bragging about it, its not like The Mighty Land Grants arent national football powers in an NCAA Major sport in a premier conference no less. Just for fun compare the crowd SDSU will have when they play the Gophers in Football to the number of dust up lovers watching the niche sport when UND and Minnesota face off.

Its getting to the point that NDSU has more season ticket sales than UND has seats at the hilarious or the Ralph. Not one of those season tickets was sold because UND was coming to town. UND isnt coming to town, but they want to in the worst way. I guess hockey is so big that you dont need NDSU to give you some visibility. But hey you quit the series so get in line with the rest of the schools looking for a game in Fargo.

But the best is what all UND fans fall back on: Denigrate the Border Marker Game. Unfortunately that doesnt make your sports any more relevant. its obvious UND fans are having problems accepting the fact that the Border Marker is a bigger deal then even the fight fest dust up with the Gophers. The only thing I have seen from that rivalry is the contempt and hate that seems to follow UND where ever they go. There will be more than twice as many fans at the Border Marker game so I wont be alone.

Why the Border Marker is so big is no secret. Football is the big sport and in the Dakotas it doesnt get any bigger than the Mighty Land Grants playing for the Marker and the bragging rights over the Dakotas as the best football team!xbeerchugxxhurrayxxsmileyclapx

BisonNDSU
August 8th, 2009, 01:51 AM
oh my god. did a und fan really bring up HOCKEY .....AGAIN. wow. you guys take your dumb hockey and shove it. no one cares about hockey

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Whats the point of rolling out the biggest cliche in the history of sports in North Dakota: "We have hockey".!!! xlolx This is an FCS football board. Its about football, not the niche sport of hockey. Its lucky you have the niche sport because you would have nothing without it. Certainly nobody is trying to take anything away from hockey, but there is not as much there as you might think. After all how tough can it be to claim what a big deal it is. UND has the only college hockey program in the Dakotas and it still barely registers outside the niche audience of the niche sport.

But hey, knock yourself out bragging about it, its not like The Mighty Land Grants arent national football powers in an NCAA Major sport in a premier conference no less. Just for fun compare the crowd SDSU will have when they play the Gophers in Football to the number of dust up lovers watching the niche sport when UND and Minnesota face off.

Its getting to the point that NDSU has more season ticket sales than UND has seats at the hilarious or the Ralph. Not one of those season tickets was sold because UND was coming to town. UND isnt coming to town, but they want to in the worst way. I guess hockey is so big that you dont need NDSU to give you some visibility. But hey you quit the series so get in line with the rest of the schools looking for a game in Fargo.

But the best is what all UND fans fall back on: Denigrate the Border Marker Game. Unfortunately that doesnt make your sports any more relevant. its obvious UND fans are having problems accepting the fact that the Border Marker is a bigger deal then even the fight fest dust up with the Gophers. The only thing I have seen from that rivalry is the contempt and hate that seems to follow UND where ever they go. There will be more than twice as many fans at the Border Marker game so I wont be alone.

Why the Border Marker is so big is no secret. Football is the big sport and in the Dakotas it doesnt get any bigger than the Mighty Land Grants playing for the Marker and the bragging rights over the Dakotas as the best football team!xbeerchugxxhurrayxxsmileyclapx

What do you mean it still barely registers outside the niche audience of the niche sport, ND is more known for hockey than football our attendance proves it.

You are not a national football power in the FCS...Delaware is, App St is, you and SDSU are not.

Well gee genius TCF Bank Stadium holds more than the Ralph.

UND sells season tickets without the Bison.

Please ask people in the Twin Cities and around the state of ND whats bigger UND/Minnesota or NDSU/SDSU. Only you would say NDSU/SDSU.

The Ralph will be sold out but thousands more will be watching on tv how many will be watching the Border Marker game on tv i am sure not the hundred of thousands in the Twin Cites and in the upper midwest.

Football will always take a backseat to hockey in North Dakota.

Because the Sioux/Gophers game doesn't mean anything except a hatred rival game since the 1940's, a berth in the playoffs (something NDSU hasn't hosted since when the early 90's or was it the 80's, and a division title on the line something NDSU won't have to worry about this year.

JBB
August 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Ok, Ok, Ok, We hear you! You got hockey!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx Congratulations!!!

The MIGHTY LAND GRANTS have the BORDER MARKER!!!

For the record Ive never seen a UND hockey game and for the life of me couldnt tell you a thing about it except it is classified as a minor sport by the NCAA and is full of lower division schools. I do know there are a lot of hockey fans. Good for them. Of course most of their time is spent "enjoying" games in the obscurity of those lower division schools. Naturally you are hyperventilating over the Gophers. Somehow it must validate all of your over reaching assumptions about the sport.

Im wondering why its so important for you to tell us that you have hockey and why you dont care about the Border Marker? Im wondering why its so important for you to claim NDSU playing UND WAS bigger and better than NDSU playing SDSU. On the other hand you are telling eveyone nothing is bigger than hockey so why bother hounding NDSU for games from the message boards all the way up to the State Legislature? Why bother trying to make the Border Marker less than it is? xnodx

The MIGHTY LAND GRANTS have built something unique, something Dakota, something that is a showcase for the premier Universities of both states. They have provided the leadership so opposed by some and have become participants in the NCAAs largest sporting events and members in major auto-bid conferences in the major sports. They have brought the spotlight to the Dakotas and that has opened up so many opportunities that transcend athletics for both schools and both states. The Border Marker is the event that highlights all of this.

NDSU season ticket sales topped 9,000 this week. SDSU is expecting a sellout for the Border Marker and will probably average between 16,000 - 20,000 this season. UND doesnt even have a venue with that many seats. Its just a smaller program thats all.

The Border Marker stands on its own. It is a huge game by any measure and there might even be some ice, who knows? Caughlin Alumni is open air. The two State Universities have put together an event encompassing our states. We are also competing and beating the University of Minnesota in major sports like football and basketball. The basketball games draw more fans than hockey and there is no comparison to the football games. There is already talk about SDSU at Minnesota around work. Hockey hasnt come up and if the past is a guide it wont.

Its easy to claim premier status when you have the only hockey program in the Dakotas. Heck, I even agree, you guys have the best college hockey progam in the Dakotas. Its a glorious group of 1. Congratulations!!!!! But please, try and keep it realistic and in perspective. xsmiley_wix

FargoBison
August 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Football will always take a backseat to hockey at UND.

Fixed that for you, if you think hockey is bigger in the state you need to think again.

NDSUDude
August 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM
ND High School Hockey Programs 19
ND High School Football Programs 111

I think Football Wins this one xthumbsupx

BisonNDSU
August 8th, 2009, 02:02 PM
the nazi arena sucks anyways. :)

and not as many people care about hockey as you think. it's more boring to watch than golf. unless they fight.

the dakota marker game is one of the most fun things i've been too; and i have been to many exciting things

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
the nazi arena sucks anyways. :)

and not as many people care about hockey as you think. it's more boring to watch than golf. unless they fight.
the dakota marker game is one of the most fun things i've been too; and i have been to many exciting things

So we shouldn't expect you at the Ralph anytime soon?xlolx

Never been to a Sioux/Gophers game huh.;)

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Fixed that for you, if you think hockey is bigger in the state you need to think again.

Only at NDSU is football bigger.

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Ok, Ok, Ok, We hear you! You got hockey!!!xlolxxlolxxlolx Congratulations!!!

The MIGHTY LAND GRANTS have the BORDER MARKER!!!

For the record Ive never seen a UND hockey game and for the life of me couldnt tell you a thing about it except it is classified as a minor sport by the NCAA and is full of lower division schools. I do know there are a lot of hockey fans. Good for them. Of course most of their time is spent "enjoying" games in the obscurity of those lower division schools. Naturally you are hyperventilating over the Gophers. Somehow it must validate all of your over reaching assumptions about the sport.

Im wondering why its so important for you to tell us that you have hockey and why you dont care about the Border Marker? Im wondering why its so important for you to claim NDSU playing UND WAS bigger and better than NDSU playing SDSU. On the other hand you are telling eveyone nothing is bigger than hockey so why bother hounding NDSU for games from the message boards all the way up to the State Legislature? Why bother trying to make the Border Marker less than it is? xnodx

The MIGHTY LAND GRANTS have built something unique, something Dakota, something that is a showcase for the premier Universities of both states. They have provided the leadership so opposed by some and have become participants in the NCAAs largest sporting events and members in major auto-bid conferences in the major sports. They have brought the spotlight to the Dakotas and that has opened up so many opportunities that transcend athletics for both schools and both states. The Border Marker is the event that highlights all of this.

NDSU season ticket sales topped 9,000 this week. SDSU is expecting a sellout for the Border Marker and will probably average between 16,000 - 20,000 this season. UND doesnt even have a venue with that many seats. Its just a smaller program thats all.

The Border Marker stands on its own. It is a huge game by any measure and there might even be some ice, who knows? Caughlin Alumni is open air. The two State Universities have put together an event encompassing our states. We are also competing and beating the University of Minnesota in major sports like football and basketball. The basketball games draw more fans than hockey and there is no comparison to the football games. There is already talk about SDSU at Minnesota around work. Hockey hasnt come up and if the past is a guide it wont.

Its easy to claim premier status when you have the only hockey program in the Dakotas. Heck, I even agree, you guys have the best college hockey progam in the Dakotas. Its a glorious group of 1. Congratulations!!!!! But please, try and keep it realistic and in perspective. xsmiley_wix

Then you did a lot of bashing on something you know nothing about.

Except in Fargo the UND/Gophers hockey game draws more attendance (2-4 games depening if we play them home and away), and more television audience, and more media hype than the Border Marker, where you think NDSU/SDSU is bigger in the region.

Because it was bigger and better it was for bragging rights of North Dakota who had the better college football team and only you want to admit that SDSU was bigger and better.

Bigger isn't always better. Avg attendance at the Fargodome for playoffs..ZERO!!

Big deal you guys play the Gophers in basketball and football...we play the FBS and D1 basketball teams too.

I think i am done with this thread anyone else want to jump in on their opinion go for it whether you are a Sioux, Bison or whatever fan.

Go Bison
August 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Looks like another thread is turning into a NDSU-UND smackfest. This is getting sooooo old.

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Looks like another thread is turning into a NDSU-UND smackfest. This is getting sooooo old.

Sorry that JBB had to ruin it. It all started at post #60 with his smart@ss comment at the bottom of his post after i posted a comment about the series.

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I would like to apoligize to everyone for making this into a UND/NDSU smackfest when UND has nothing to do with this thread. I made comments earlier about the Border Marker game and did no smacking whatsoever...then other comments were made and what do know smackfest. So hopefully the comments can be made strictly about this series. JBB sorry to you about counter-commenting on everything you say. And to the other Sioux fan that brought up hockey...true UND has a premiere hockey program but this is about football and a lot of people don't want to hear it so i apoligize for someone else bringing it up. So to all the Bison fans and to all the Jacks fans sorry from me and hopefully others are sorry for turning this into a smackfest. I know this is about the Border Marker game this year but i think my wife is thinking of attending the game next year at the dome. She just got done ordering 2 homecoming tickets for the NDSU/Illinois St. game for her and our son (he loves NDSU). Can't believe we are less than a month from opening day...GO FOOTBALL!!

Thunderstruck84
August 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Both NDSU/SDSU and NDSU/UND are great football rivalries, and soon both will be on NDSU's schedule and I'll look forward to both games each year with a lot of anticipation.

I'm proud of the way NDSU football has represented the state AND I'm proud of the way UND hockey has represented the state. Those two things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

NDSU football is more important to me than UND hockey and for any Average Joe Sportsfan in ND that may be the same or it may be vice versa. No amounrt of argument will change their minds or my mind and the fact that both sides have fans that are that passionate about them is what makes them both great for college sports in North Dakota.

xtwocentsx

darell1976
August 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Both NDSU/SDSU and NDSU/UND are great football rivalries, and soon both will be on NDSU's schedule and I'll look forward to both games each year with a lot of anticipation.

I'm proud of the way NDSU football has represented the state AND I'm proud of the way UND hockey has represented the state. Those two things do not have to be mutually exclusive.

NDSU football is more important to me than UND hockey and for any Average Joe Sportsfan in ND that may be the same or it may be vice versa. No amounrt of argument will change their minds or my mind and the fact that both sides have fans that are that passionate about them is what makes them both great for college sports in North Dakota.

xtwocentsx

xthumbsupx

TheBisonator
August 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I think we all agree that in this conversation, NDSU, SDSU and UND fans are all welcome to participate, because all sides have legitimate arguments. The odd man out of course, is USD, who I think doesn't even belong in a Dakota Smackfest, because let's face it, they're the #4 university in the Dakotas, and they probably should've stayed in DII. I can take any Dakota smack discussion as long as USD fans don't pop their little heads in there.:)

JBB
August 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I disagree that NDSU and UND are a great rivalry. Nothing positive about it.

I disagree that USD is #4. They were supportive of the Division 1 move and part of the collation that tried to save the NCC.

I do agree that NDSU and SDSU is a great rivalry. It is positive, uplifting. It inspires and brings excitement.

I guess it depends on what you think a rival is. Thats a subject for another thread. This one is about the Border Marker.

The Border Marker is what it is. Its exploded out of the past emerging as a huge sporting event that has captured the imagination of the the fans at both Universities and both states. It took the energy and expectations of the move to Division 1 and gave them focus. Both Universities have brought a lot to the table in D1. It has been an inspired partnership. There are several new conferences, there have been a lot of big wins and big seasons that have brought the national media focus to both Universities. There has been growth through acceptance in established auto bid conferences. Although the legacy is short it is full of acomplishment and examples of leadership, good sportsmanship, spirited competition and without a doubt has been a huge asset to both Universities beyond athletics. Thats what the Border Marker represents and thats what a good rival is all about.

mango43
August 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I disagree that NDSU and UND are a great rivalry. Nothing positive about it.

I disagree that USD is #4. They were supportive of the Division 1 move and part of the collation that tried to save the NCC.

I do agree that NDSU and SDSU is a great rivalry. It is positive, uplifting. It inspires and brings excitement.

I guess it depends on what you think a rival is. Thats a subject for another thread. This one is about the Border Marker.

The Border Marker is what it is. Its exploded out of the past emerging as a huge sporting event that has captured the imagination of the the fans at both Universities and both states. It took the energy and expectations of the move to Division 1 and gave them focus. Both Universities have brought a lot to the table in D1. It has been an inspired partnership. There are several new conferences, there have been a lot of big wins and big seasons that have brought the national media focus to both Universities. There has been growth through acceptance in established auto bid conferences. Although the legacy is short it is full of acomplishment and examples of leadership, good sportsmanship, spirited competition and without a doubt has been a huge asset to both Universities beyond athletics. Thats what the Border Marker represents and thats what a good rival is all about.

I don't think USD was supportive of the move, they ripped SDSU pretty hard when they moved. They went as far as saying that they were going to stay DII and become the Harvard of the Plains.

semobison
August 9th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Well, this does prove one thing. Our rivalry with UND is much more rabid then anything we have had with the Jacks!

SDFS
August 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM

xtwocentsx

I could not agree more!!

By the way the Marker Game is a lot of fun. I have family and friends on both sides of the battle. Both schools deserve a lot of credit for making it happen.