PDA

View Full Version : Northeastern - UConn game in Jeopardy

Husky Alum
August 1st, 2009, 06:15 AM
Northeastern was scheduled to play UConn next season in football. Looks like that game is seriously on the rocks..

Michigan schedules UCONN for 2010 opener
By ryan kartje, written on Jul. 30, 2009
According to a report from Rivals affiliate UConnReport.com, the Wolverines have agreed with UConn in terms to schedule a home-and-home series that will bring the Huskies to The Big House on Sept. 4, 2010.

The second half of the home-and-home series will bring Michigan to Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn. in 2013.

The Huskies have a game with Northeastern scheduled for the 2010 date, but plans are apparently in the works to opt out of that game.

This report puts end to much of the conversation that Michigan’s opponent would be either Pittsburgh, Virginia, or Duke to name a few, of whom many had speculated.

And does this mean a budding rivalry may be forming? Connecticut and Michigan will finish the second half of their home-and-home basketball series this fall when the Huskies come to Crisler Arena.

As for the level of competition that UConn brings to Ann Arbor, the Huskies finished 8-5 last season (3-4 Big East) with marquee victories against Big East Champion Cincinnati and University of Buffalo in the International Bowl.

I hope we have a pretty steep buyout in that contract. Then again, our Athletic Director has admitted he's a "leader, not a manager", so I'm sure the buyout is something like they'll agree to schedule us in field hockey, volleyball, women's swimming and track.

So we're likely in the market for an FBS game for next season.

Husky Alum
August 1st, 2009, 06:19 AM
Didn't realize Ace posted this earlier, sorry bout that!!!

aceinthehole
August 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM
No problem! :)

Do you have any word on NU-CCSU games? I haven't been able to confirm anything yet, but NCAApalace is showing CCU at NU in 2011.
http://ncaapalace.com/component/sports/centralconnecticutstate/ncaaf/futureopp

I'm sure we'd be willing to host NU on the week UConn backed out, unless you are looking for a FBS replacement. Next year, the only CCSU game I've confirmed is at Youngstown State. Although, it is rumored we may play Columbia again, and our AD has said a 2-year home/home deal with Hofstra is on tap in the future.

Husky Alum
August 1st, 2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know. I don't talk to our AD any more, but that was the talk. B

efore the current AD took office, his predecessor told me of potental games with CCSU, Colgate, Albany, and Stony Brook. I also heard we were trying to get Bryant on the schedule.

In talking with Rocky Hager, he did indicate we'd be playing more "regional" OOCs after this year. The days of plaiyng GSU, YSU, and Davis in home and home may be long gone.

I'm sure if NDSU offered to pay our costs again, we'd go out there again - if Hager ever were to announce a "final season" it may be a fitting way to go out.

aceinthehole
August 19th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Here's an update.

Connecticut 's home game with Northeastern in 2010, originally scheduled on Sept. 2, will now be played on Oct. 9.

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_football/2009/08/umuconn-deal-finalized.html

93henfan
August 19th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Wow! Nice to see that some schools have the integrity to reschedule a game when they get offered a big payday from another school.

Husky Alum
August 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM
UNHAlum made me aware of this last night - I agree, cool move by UConn not to jerk us around.

Perhaps NU had some foresight and put in a nice buyout number in the deal?

I also heard on Dieharddogs.com that NU will be playing Pitt in 2011 and the Beagles of Chestnut Hill again in 2013, so it looks like we need a FBS game for 2012.

MR. CHICKEN
August 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I don't know. I don't talk to our AD any more, but that was the talk. B

efore the current AD took office, his predecessor told me of potental games with CCSU, Colgate, Albany, and Stony Brook. I also heard we were trying to get Bryant on the schedule.

In talking with Rocky Hager, he did indicate we'd be playing more "regional" OOCs after this year. The days of plaiyng GSU, YSU, and Davis in home and home may be long gone.
I'm sure if NDSU offered to pay our costs again, we'd go out there again - if Hager ever were to announce a "final season" it may be a fitting way to go out.

YA'LL...HAVE BEEN PLAYIN'.....ONE O' DUH TUFFEST...OOC GAME SKEDS..FO' UH WHILE......YER AD...IS UH HEAD COACH...NIGHTMARE....TIME TA SKED REASONABLY...ONE TUFFY...ONE MEDIUM RARE......AN' GET UH COOKIE....xnodx....AWK!!

Husky Alum
August 20th, 2009, 01:16 AM
You are correct, our AD is a nightmare, I'll agree with you there.

We're going to the FBS, FCS Toughie, Perceived easier game (NEC team).