PDA

View Full Version : UMass adds two Syracuse transfers

Umass74
July 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Details over on my UMass football Blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/2009/07/umass-adds-two-syracuse-transfers.html).

LB Mike Mele started for the Orange last year and was third in total tackles.

KAUMASS
July 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Should help take off some pressure off of Miles and a younger secondary against the run. He will make a good addition with Jennings in the middle. The kid has played in every game for the Orange since he was a true freshman, starting most of last year. The kid should be able to play, hopefully he will fit in with the chemistry of the defense.

smcwildcat
July 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM
typical umass cant recruit gets transfers

93henfan
July 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM

Yeah, the frauds! xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

BDKJMU
July 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
What's going on at Cuse? JMU got the transfer DL who was starting at DT during Spring ball.

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/04/middleton_seventh_player_to_le.html

http://www.syracuse.com/today/index.ssf/2009/04/tackle_lamar_middleton_quits_s.html

PapaBear
July 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
What's going on at Cuse? JMU got the transfer DL who was starting at DT during Spring ball.

Whatever it is, I sure hope it doesn't get too far out of hand. We need a game to play on Sept. 26.xsmiley_wix

At least they picked up a new QB. Should be interesting to see how Paulus makes the transition from hardwood to gridiron.

LacesOut
July 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM

Way to add to the thread!!!

Seems as if a few players are leaving the Orange in their rear view mirrors. Tired of losing, I guess.

FCS_Fan
July 31st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Way to add to the thread!!!

Seems as if a few players are leaving the Orange in their rear view mirrors. Tired of losing, I guess.

Very True !! Many teams are getting very good SU players with lots of eligibility based on the what I read.

GannonFan
July 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
The other thing to keep in mind - 'Cuse has been pretty bad as of late. For some of these guys, coming to an FCS school could be a step up in caliber. xcoffeex

FCS_Fan
July 31st, 2009, 09:21 PM
The other thing to keep in mind - 'Cuse has been pretty bad as of late. For some of these guys, coming to an FCS school could be a step up in caliber. xcoffeex

It is a step up most of these kids are ending up at schools that would have beaten SU last year.

bkrownd
July 31st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Remember how from the late 80's until about 1992 Syracuse was looking like a perennial top-10 and national title contender? How times have changed. Of course Syracuse built those glory days in part by getting a certain coach MacPherson from UMass....

Hoyadestroya85
July 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
When can we expect to see them get into fights or be caught masturbating while driving/stalking a woman?

RichH2
August 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
Could be new coach cleaning house more likely reason for transfers

bluehenbillk
August 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Just call them Transferchusetts.

Brad82
August 1st, 2009, 11:43 AM
And the rich get richer!!

saint0917
August 1st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Just call them Transferchusetts.

Delaware doesn't have any transfers?? xrolleyesx

Husky Alum
August 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Mele's brother played for us after transferring from Illinois. Was a pretty good LB.

We recruited the younger brother, but he decided to go to 'Cuse instead, and now he winds up at UMass.

The player at UMass is a good kid, we got to meet him a couple of times when Joe played at NU.

Uncle Buck
August 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM

My thoughts exactly. SU has been pretty bad an some of these kids might transfer down in level, but that doesn't mean they have the talent to compete. While transfers are part of the game, and HU has definitely taken their share, i am always skeptical.

FCS_Fan
August 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
Actually in researching a lot of these kids they were some of the better recruits SU has had over the past couple of years.

Mele, Fairchild (EKU), Sheeran were all big gets as far as SU was considered when they landed them.

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
My thoughts exactly. SU has been pretty bad an some of these kids might transfer down in level, but that doesn't mean they have the talent to compete. While transfers are part of the game, and HU has definitely taken their share, i am always skeptical.

If they were starting for Cuse, the LB should be good enough to start for UMass, and the DT good enough to start for JMU. Course part of that for JMU is that JD Skolnitsky (started on JMU DL last 2 seasons) got suspended for his senior (5th yr) season and so far is still in the Redskins training camp, and a 2nd team de end from last season who would have maybe started this season got booted for academics. Otherwise JMU likely wouldn't have taken the Army and Cuse DL transfers.

Uncle Buck
August 2nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Not saying that transfers are bad or unnecessary, sometimes they come with issues that are detrimental to team chemistry. Other times it may be the exact opposite.

My biggest concern would be they come in with a big swollen head just because they played at a bad 'cuse program. HU has had some negative experiences back in the day when we were regularly making the playoffs and it worked out better for us to play homegrown talent.

FCS_Fan
August 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
No one who played at the Cuse should have a big head. I think most just wanted to have a "chance" to play for winning programs from what I have read.

Uncle Buck
August 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
We got a cuse transfer too, a WR. I remain skeptical until I see them in the system though.

Minuteman87
August 9th, 2009, 01:41 PM
We've had a whole bunch of FBS transfers in the past few years and very few end up being impact players. The ones from BC have been particularly ineffective. That being said, I hope these 'Cuse guys can contribute.