PDA

View Full Version : Wofford gets no respect from Wisconsin

WOCO
July 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/bondy/2009/07/on-wisconsion-beat-who.html

phoenixphanatic21
July 30th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Doesn't seem like he gives much respect to us, Charlestion Southern, Samford or Furman either. Please beat them down and give them a reason to respect us.

coover
July 30th, 2009, 03:32 PM
They already respect Cal Poly!

introvertedGSUfan
July 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM

I was about to post if this idiot remembers the Cal Poly game from last year.

Appinator
July 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hasn't WC played UW pretty close before?

aust42
July 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
To be expected from some Wisconsin Alumni beat writer. He probably didn't hear about Wisconsin barely beating Cal Poly 36-35 last year or only beating The Citidel 45-31 the year before. They gave Wisconsin a better game than a lot of their other wins on the schedule.

Go Wofford!

kdinva
July 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Another New York scribe who thinks his Sh__ don't stink. he has forgotten the recent past. I was rooting for The Citadel in 2007 (just weeks after Appy crushed Meeeshigan).

Go wofford!!

SIUallDay
July 30th, 2009, 03:44 PM
LOL @ this dude acting like Wisconsin is a national powerhouse playing in AT LEAST the Rose Bowl every season....didn't they get disrespected by Florida State in the Champs Sports Bowl last season?

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
This guy clearly isn't a solid football fan for even writing the article. It's condescending and trivial- I guess he doesn't realize the amount of pay-off games that take place each year. Forget about the respect factor, anyone reading the daily news for their college sports coverage says it all....

You can now resume pile-jumping this idiot.

813Jag
July 30th, 2009, 04:11 PM
LOL @ this dude acting like Wisconsin is a national powerhouse playing in AT LEAST the Rose Bowl every season....didn't they get disrespected by Florida State in the Champs Sports Bowl last season?
Hell yes they did. xlolx Only good thing about that bowl trip. Any Wofford fans coming to Tampa for the USF game?

ashram
July 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
sweet 'stache, though

Gringer1
July 30th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, I was looking forward to the game just to see if Wofford would make it interesting. Now I'm drawn in to see them shut this guy's mouth. I wonder if Ayers will run this by his players for motivation?

elcid83
July 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Citadel played these guys a great game two years ago. This was the signal [at least to me] that Coach Higgins was getting the Citadel program back on track after a lot of basement time. Tied at halftime before losing by 2 TDs. I'm sure this article will make Coach Ayers' bulletin board, but, I don't think the terriers will need any additional motivation to get up for this game. I know I will be pulling for the Terriers.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Uncle Buck
July 30th, 2009, 04:45 PM
What an a$$ this guy is. He wouldn't know who the hell is on the schedule year in and year out or else he would have kept his mouth shut. He mentions App St. beating Wofford, no shame in that, they also beat Michigan in '07 who if i recall, beat Wisconsin that year.

WOCO
July 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM
What an a$$ this guy is. He wouldn't know who the hell is on the schedule year in and year out or else he would have kept his mouth shut. He mentions App St. beating Wofford, no shame in that, they also beat Michigan in '07 who if i recall, beat Wisconsin that year.

And that year wofford beat app. Hey, we know what happened last year but this guy really really must not know anything about anything.

SUUTbird
July 30th, 2009, 06:06 PM
This guy is a moron, seriously. Another option team is going into Camp Randell and it was quite apparent that the Badgers couldnt handle it last year. Wofford is a hell of a team and i feel bad if the badgers all feel the way this guy does.

grizzpaw
July 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
just bring a better kicker and u will win!

phoenixphanatic21
July 30th, 2009, 06:52 PM
And that year wofford beat app. Hey, we know what happened last year but this guy really really must not know anything about anything.

And elon beat wofford that year too.

T-Dog
July 30th, 2009, 06:57 PM
And elon beat wofford that year too.

Everyone in the Top 5 of the SoCon that year beat each other in 2007. xlolx

appirishmen
July 30th, 2009, 07:43 PM
that guys an idiot. go kick their butts!!!!! show them how real football is played

griz8791
July 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I like articles like this one because they confirm my otherwise unfair, bigoted belief that guys like this almost always root for FBS programs.

phoenixphanatic21
July 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Everyone in the Top 5 of the SoCon that year beat each other in 2007. xlolx

2007 was possibly the craziest year of football I have ever witnessed at any level. Don't think I'll see anything like that anytime soon.

Back to the topic at hand, this is why I hate the current media. They give absolutely NO respect to anything below FBS football. What's worse is that people who don't know anything about football will read this article and then also fail to give the FCS any credit. Complete crap. This is a bit of a bitter spot for me in case you didn't notice.

g-webb1994
July 30th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I hope Wofford plays smash-mouth physical football with those Big 10 losers and make them all collectively choke on their cheese.

Silenoz
July 30th, 2009, 11:12 PM
This is why I hope the FCS does better against the FBS than last year. We need 10+ wins, not 2

crabby terrier
July 31st, 2009, 01:41 AM
Hell yes they did. xlolx Only good thing about that bowl trip. Any Wofford fans coming to Tampa for the USF game?

my wife and i are flying down for the weekend. looking forward to it!xnodx

Redbird Ray
July 31st, 2009, 06:56 AM
I thought Wisconsin's home opener this year was against Northern Illinois? But besides that, yes this guy is emblematic of a big city college football fan who hardly even cares about Big Ten football, let alone even be aware of what FCS football is. Trust me, I live in Chicago, we have a lot of ahole writers writing similar articles here, and a lot of ahole Big 10 fans who have no idea what FCS means.

It seems to me MOST people in New York or Chicago care about NFL, big gap... then Big Ten/East/Notre Dame,........then turn their attention to baseball or some other sport. :(

spdram
July 31st, 2009, 07:48 AM
One more example of a lazy writer not doing his homework! Kick Butt Woffy!

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2009, 08:03 AM
Good grief. Big Ten "football" makes me sick.

It's just unbelievable to me how short a memory these people have. The Citadel went up to Wisconsin a few years ago and gave Wisconsin a great show. Furman is running into the same problem with Auburn. UT-Martin took Auburn to the wire last year, but that certainly doesn't mean Furman isn't going to be the butt of scheduling jokes.

gophoenix
July 31st, 2009, 08:12 AM
What do you expect from someone who can't spell Phillip?

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 08:13 AM
It seems to me MOST people in New York or Chicago care about NFL, big gap... then Big Ten/East/Notre Dame,........then turn their attention to baseball or some other sport.

Sadly, that's the way it is in big-market pro towns. You think the people of Boston really care about what happens at Northeastern, or BU when they still had a team? I'd even question their enthusiasm for BC in the big picture unless I hear otherwise.

What college football means to the south vs. where it stands in the north are two different worlds. I'm a NYer, and I know for sure in speaking to many many "sports fans" around here, they have no clue about college football outside the top 5 teams (if that) in I-A, and certainly nobody has a clue about I-AA.

It all comes down to the oversaturation and marketing of the NFL... between fantasy leagues, etc, the NFL has most of it's fans hook, line and sinker. It's so sanitized, and yet the intimacy and tradition of college ball, especially at the lower levels, is completely overlooked. Outside of course ND, which has their contract with NBC.

813Jag
July 31st, 2009, 09:30 AM
my wife and i are flying down for the weekend. looking forward to it!xnodx
There are a couple of other board members in the area, I want to try to set up a get together.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2009, 09:45 AM
Sadly, that's the way it is in big-market pro towns. You think the people of Boston really care about what happens at Northeastern, or BU when they still had a team? I'd even question their enthusiasm for BC in the big picture unless I hear otherwise.

What college football means to the south vs. where it stands in the north are two different worlds. I'm a NYer, and I know for sure in speaking to many many "sports fans" around here, they have no clue about college football outside the top 5 teams (if that) in I-A, and certainly nobody has a clue about I-AA.

It all comes down to the oversaturation and marketing of the NFL... between fantasy leagues, etc, the NFL has most of it's fans hook, line and sinker. It's so sanitized, and yet the intimacy and tradition of college ball, especially at the lower levels, is completely overlooked. Outside of course ND, which has their contract with NBC.

The only pro team really anyone in the southeast cares much about is the Braves.

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
And the playoff games weren't sold out. Just an indication of where people's hearts lay. What about the Falcons?

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
People round here have started caring about the Panthers a lot now that they are actually good. And people in the Raleigh area love the Hurricanes.

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 10:35 AM
People round here have started caring about the Panthers a lot now that they are actually good. And people in the Raleigh area love the Hurricanes.

Raleigh loving Hurricanes... outside of their success, could that be a function of the northerners relocating down to NC?

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Raleigh loving Hurricanes... outside of their success, could that be a function of the northerners relocating down to NC?

Could very well be. I wouldn't be surprised. All I know is I've been to a few games there and there is no experience quite like it. I was fortunate enough to be at one of the Hurricanes-Bruins playoff games this past year and I have not heard a building as loud as the RBC Center when the Canes first came out or when Jussi Jokinen scored the game winner.

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Of all the southern hockey teams, I'd think that Carolina would have the best shot at having a decent fan base. I know of plenty of younger people relocating down that way for career and quality of life issues, and I think there are Canadian residents that may be doing the same.

Atlanta I'd say maybe, since NY's and other people from the NE have gone that way too.. but the key to success for the southern teams are younger fans relocating from up north. Miami and the Panthers- seems like a mismatch because of demographics, Tampa I could understand to have a decent following due to relocation.

My wife and I just decided we're going to move down south with Atlanta being our first choice. Something I've never imagined to have considered, but NY and all that goes on here (taxes, etc) is getting long in the tooth for us.... Anyhow, I know when we finally make the move, wherever we wind up, I'll be in college football heaven!

drpnut
July 31st, 2009, 11:25 AM
After a near miss at USF, (Woffy will lose by 4.) the T-Dogs crush Chuck South by 31 and then go into Camp Randall with a lot to prove and they do not disappoint... Brietenstein hammers the middle and finishes with 124 yards rushing, Rucker exploits their lack of speed on the corners and goes for 142 yards. The QB (doesn't matter which one) runs the option to perfection and is able to gain 101 yards giving the Terriers 377 on the ground. And to keep the D-honest they will pass for 95 yards.

The final score: Woffy 31 Badgers 28

Nuff said.

andy7171
July 31st, 2009, 11:28 AM
To be expected from some Wisconsin Alumni beat writer. He probably didn't hear about Wisconsin barely beating Cal Poly 36-35 last year or only beating The Citidel 45-31 the year before. They gave Wisconsin a better game than a lot of their other wins on the schedule.

Go Wofford!

This was my first thought as well. The Badgers have played to questionable games against their FCS "cupcake" the last two years.

jmufan999
July 31st, 2009, 11:30 AM
gotta be honest here... i didn't respect Wofford after the App State blowout, which was my first time ever seeing them. they were a TOTALLY different team at JMU. i hope Wofford absolutely CRUSHES them so you will shut this douche up. it's one thing if the Wisc-Cal Poly game had never happened, but it did. and they almost lost.... and SHOULD have lost, as you guys are pointing out. and what's with his dorky mustache? he looks like he should be on Dateline NBC's To Catch A Predator......

Chris Hanson: "why don't you go ahead and take a seat. yeah, right over there. sooo..... what are you doing here, anyway? you realize that Jenny is only 13, right?"

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Of all the southern hockey teams, I'd think that Carolina would have the best shot at having a decent fan base. I know of plenty of younger people relocating down that way for career and quality of life issues, and I think there are Canadian residents that may be doing the same.

Atlanta I'd say maybe, since NY's and other people from the NE have gone that way too.. but the key to success for the southern teams are younger fans relocating from up north. Miami and the Panthers- seems like a mismatch because of demographics, Tampa I could understand to have a decent following due to relocation.

My wife and I just decided we're going to move down south with Atlanta being our first choice. Something I've never imagined to have considered, but NY and all that goes on here (taxes, etc) is getting long in the tooth for us.... Anyhow, I know when we finally make the move, wherever we wind up, I'll be in college football heaven!

Well let me be the first to welcome you to the South yankee. xsmiley_wix

BullDog85
July 31st, 2009, 02:51 PM
There's nothing like hearing the crickets chirp in Camp Randall Stadium at the end of the first half. I predict a lynching of Bret Bielema at half time by the Wisconsin home crowd.xnodx

ashram
July 31st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Found this on the Wisconsin Rivals board:

i would rather not play wofford and cal-poly and beat texas and usc. giving minnesota all sorts of credit for playing these games is kind of a joke, imo. they are not even a top 50 program. talk about bringing the pigeons to the cat. like i said, i am in total agreement that we should not be playing division 2 schools. unfortunately, we are not the only ones that do this. florida has played a bunch of crappy teams in their non con schedule but they don't seem to take any heat for it. why don't thy play usc? if can don't see what i am saying on this, i will explain it further. there is a ton of gray area between playing usc and texas and playing wofford and cal-poly.

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2009, 03:35 PM
and in other news water is wet and Michael Jackson is still dead.

phoenixphanatic21
July 31st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Found this on the Wisconsin Rivals board:

i would rather not play wofford and cal-poly and beat texas and usc. giving minnesota all sorts of credit for playing these games is kind of a joke, imo. they are not even a top 50 program. talk about bringing the pigeons to the cat. like i said, i am in total agreement that we should not be playing division 2 schools. unfortunately, we are not the only ones that do this. florida has played a bunch of crappy teams in their non con schedule but they don't seem to take any heat for it. why don't thy play usc? if can don't see what i am saying on this, i will explain it further. there is a ton of gray area between playing usc and texas and playing wofford and cal-poly.

The exact reason why I hate fans of most FCS schools. Also, water's wet and Michael Jackson's dead? WHAT?!?!

Gringer1
July 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Settle down folks, settle down. Wofford will give em a good show and then their tune will change. Remember, you don't have to win to knock them down in the ratings and start their season off wrong ;)

griz8791
July 31st, 2009, 04:22 PM
When the typical FBS fan stops assuming FCS is D-II I will cheerfully stop assuming the typical FBS fan works in a mailroom.

g-webb1994
July 31st, 2009, 10:14 PM
Could very well be. I wouldn't be surprised. All I know is I've been to a few games there and there is no experience quite like it. I was fortunate enough to be at one of the Hurricanes-Bruins playoff games this past year and I have not heard a building as loud as the RBC Center when the Canes first came out or when Jussi Jokinen scored the game winner.

I'll agree with you to a point. Yes, the couple of Canes games I've been to have been quite loud....but nothing compared to the 'Hive', the now leveled Charlotte Coliseum, during the Hornets first playoff run. Absolute electric and louder than hades. How often have you seen an opposing coach in an NBA game call a timeout after a 4-0 spurt to start the game on two dunks? Chris Ford for the Celtics did back in 1993.

The relationship Charlotte had with the Hornets was special indeed, but Shinn had to go troll for women at drug rehab centers and go ruin it.

Anyway, back on topic, the Big Ten blows chunks. Go Wofford.

oldSLOguy
July 31st, 2009, 11:02 PM
I really can't wait to see what this guy writes if Wofford beat them.
GO TERRIERS!

T-Dog
August 1st, 2009, 01:07 AM
The relationship Charlotte had with the Hornets was special indeed, but Shinn had to go troll for women at drug rehab centers and go ruin it.

Charlotte has never really recovered from the Hornets leaving. They were the heart of the city and it got ripped out. The Panthers don't have that connection to the city the way the Hornets did.

phoenixphanatic21
August 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
I'll agree with you to a point. Yes, the couple of Canes games I've been to have been quite loud....but nothing compared to the 'Hive', the now leveled Charlotte Coliseum, during the Hornets first playoff run. Absolute electric and louder than hades. How often have you seen an opposing coach in an NBA game call a timeout after a 4-0 spurt to start the game on two dunks? Chris Ford for the Celtics did back in 1993.

Anyway, back on topic, the Big Ten blows chunks. Go Wofford.

Oh, how I miss the glory days of the Hornets xbawlingx Unfortunately, I wasn't hear during the first few years of the Hornets so I missed that. But I heard many many stories. Damn George Shinn for being a greedy b@st@rd and moving the team all because we wouldn't give him a new stadium. To this day, I still wish him all the worst.

Husky Alum
August 1st, 2009, 08:13 AM

When the Universty of Chestnut Hill wins in any sport, the local media are all over it, unfortunately.

Sunday morning's Boston Globe sports section usually features the Beagles above the fold, unless the Sox have a real important game.

Boston is a huge bandwagon town, and there are plenty of loyal UCH alumni and fans who support the Beagles. Even families who never went to UCH "adopt" the Beagles as the "local" college football team. In my neighborhood there are about 10 people who have UCH season tickets, and only 2 of them are alumni - the others go to "watch good college football", and went to local colleges. UCH is "Eastern Masschusetts' College Football Team".

When UCH does REAL well, it borders on obnoxous. That's why I love the fact that the Beagle fans don't really travel well, and are relegated to second and third tier bowls, despite their long run of winning records.

However, I think that support for the team this year may be down. For the first time in a long time the Beagles are actively advertising season tickets and "mini plans".

elon77
August 1st, 2009, 08:22 AM

Move to Elon, great area between Durham and Greensboro. I long for the day my Elon wife and my Elon self can move back.xnodx

JohnStOnge
August 1st, 2009, 09:21 AM
Here's my comment:

"I see others have already reminded you that Wisconsin was fortunate to beat Cal Poly last season. Year and and year out, the two programs have had comparable success. Last year Cal Poly finished 10th in the Sports Network FCS poll while Wofford finished 9th. In the FCS coaches' poll, Cal Poly finished 8th while Wofford finished 11th. Wofford played a very respectable game against South Carolina in losing 23 -13. During the contest, they actually outgained South Carolina in both rushing yards (185 - 172) and total yards (387 - 362). In terms of actual caliber of opponent, Wofford is at least as respectable a foe as most Sun Belt, MAC, or WAC teams as well as some Conference USA opponents. Additionally, the idea that playing a FCS necessarily hurts a team like Wisconsin in BCS rankings is a myth. FCS opponents either don't count in the power ratings or they count but do not necessarily harm. Wofford, for instance, finished higher in Sagarin's BCS rating system than 43 FBS teams. They finished rated higher in that system than all eight of the Sun Belt teams, 10 of the 13 MAc teams, seven of the 12 CUAS teams, and four of the nine WAC teams. They even finished rated higher in that system than three Big 10 teams. That's right: Wisconsin would've gotten more credit in Sagarin's BCS power rating system for beating Wofford than it would've gotten for beating Purdue, Michigan, or Indiana. The point isn't whether you or I think that SHOULD be the case. But that's how it is. People who think that playing a FCS as opposed to playing a low level FBS necessarily hurts in the BCS ratings are laboring under a misconception. LSU played a FCS during its 2003 - 2004 national title season, getting the slot in the title game over USC even though the Trojans did not play any FCS teams. Last season, Florida played a FCS team. The problem for Wisconsin isn't going to be playing Wofford (as long as the Badgers win). The problem is the perception of the Big 10 as being relatively weak among BCS leagues in recent years. "

th0m
August 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Good post with straight-up FACTS John.

Gil Dobie
August 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM

The guy writes for a NY Newspaper, from reading the column, I doubt this guy even knew Wisconsin played Cal Poly last year, until you all reminded him. Most Wisconsin fans that I know that live around the Twin Cities are taking Wofford quite a bit more seriously. At least my buddy Badger Bob is. xlolx

Uncle Buck
August 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM

Good grief, i don't think the south is ready for you. Truth is, if i could get out of NY i would. Just rolled back into town down here in Burke, VA and i miss living here as well.

Zoo
August 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Well, that guy who wrote the article is an idiot. I'm a Badgers fan, and I had this to say about Wofford:

I'm hoping Wofford does good this year.

However, as a bigtime Badger fan, those Terriers are going to be a tough team. They'll be tougher then some of our Big Ten schedule this year.

Wofford WILL give the Badgers a game, the game WILL be decided by six points or LESS.

I wrote that in the SOCON outlook thread for Wofford.

Zoo
August 1st, 2009, 09:52 PM
This was my first thought as well. The Badgers have played to questionable games against their FCS "cupcake" the last two years.

Don't remind me of that! xlolx

I also posted last year how Wisconsin should have lost to Cal Poly, and how The Citadel had me terrified for my life. xlolx

wingt2flex
August 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Cal Poly had the ball for 39:59 in regulation and run up 277 yds. If Wofford can
execute, not turn it over, and leave Murphy (our kicker) at home, a win is very
doable. I love it when the FCS puts in to the big boys. Just remember Poly at
San Diego State, UC Davis at Stanford, and App at Michigan. Lets add Wofford at Wisconsin. Go Wofford.

Go...gate
August 4th, 2009, 12:21 AM
I hope Wofford kicks their azz and brings home a win as ASU did against Michigan.

WOCO
August 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
There is on more thing. Wofford is going to be able to watch the poly film and gameplan for how wisconsin is going to defend it. It's not like they can create a defense that we haven't seen. Wisconsin can watch our film but its different when you see it life. Other than one cal poly, they haven't seen our offense in real life. Hell, teams that play us every year have problems with developing a defense for our offensive scheme.

Ivytalk
August 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Go Wofford!

What do you expect from some pencilneck who looks like Borat?xwhistlex

wingt2flex
August 4th, 2009, 08:34 PM
[During the last five years, it seems the FCS is getting really better. The schools have better coaching, better websites, better recruits, and much better following.
The Apps, JMU, Richmond and Montana are raising the bar of competiton. Our championship format is far superior to those other wannables. To play for the national championship, you not only have to be good, but bring it for four Saturdays in a row. What is needed in the future is the game of the week with expanded coverage during the playoffs. Someone needs to interest Madden in building a network which could have a national audience. I think FCS would love
to see what they competition is doing, because the final 16 great, not just good
teams are going to have to beat them head-to-head. So here's to you, the FCS.

Gil Dobie
August 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Got an email from my brother-in-law today, he is looking for someone to go to the Wofford game. I just might go. Talked to my buddy Badger Bob this week. He thinks Wofford will win by 10 with no problem.