PDA

View Full Version : GSU expected to release FBS feasibility study results today

Eagle22
July 30th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Yesterday afternoon I received word from a contact in Statesboro, that the results of the FBS feasibility study will be released today ... probably around noon.

SideLine Shooter
July 30th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Yesterday afternoon I received word from a contact in Statesboro, that the results of the FBS feasibility study will be released today ... probably around noon.

Sounds feasible to me!!xlolxxlolx

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Do we know which firm, agency conducted the study? Was it that Carr group? Just trying to remember if I recall seeing any articles on this subject...

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Bring on all the GSU-bashing posts. We certainly had it in the thread that was started when the study was announced. xlolx

Do we know which firm, agency conducted the study? Was it that Carr group? Just trying to remember if I recall seeing any articles on this subject...

Rosser International
www.rosser.com

Eagle22
July 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM

The group doing the study was Rosser International, Inc.

Andy Geiger, former AD at Ohio State, was one of the leads working on the study.

http://www.rosser.com/site.html

OL FU
July 30th, 2009, 07:59 AM
What do you guys want it to say?

Cocky
July 30th, 2009, 08:00 AM
If GSU officials are wanting to move the results will be positive, if GSU officials do not want to move the results will be negative.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
First rule in consulting: You tell them what they want them to hear, so Cocky is spot on ;)

So the question is, what direction do the officials want to go in?

TexasTerror
July 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM
If the Sun Belt wants to expand, are Georgia Southern and Georgia State shoo-ins? Seemingly would "bridge" the conference from west to east while getting the league exposure in the 'ATL'.

GaSouthern
July 30th, 2009, 09:15 AM
What do you guys want it to say?

That we will beat Furman at home this season xrotatehx xsmiley_wix

From what I am being told, it will just be a road map of what we will need to do to acheive which ever goal our new coming president chooses. It will not say GSU needs to move up or GSU needs to stay FCS.

OL FU
July 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
That we will beat Furman at home this season xrotatehx xsmiley_wix

From what I am being told, it will just be a road map of what we will need to do to acheive which ever goal our new coming president chooses. It will not say GSU needs to move up or GSU needs to stay FCS.

Well here is to whatever road you choose being easier than beating Furmanxthumbsupx

Cocky
July 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I believe a new league will emerge from the 2011 moves. I also believe some schools may move fearing the NCAA will try to make it even harder to move in the future.
The SunBelt can't take all the schools rumored to be moving. Not sure of all but Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Texas State, and JSU are to my knowledge publicly looking with several others rumored plus South Alabama is adding football.

blueballs
July 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Results are that GSU needs to MOL double its annual athletic budget to compete in BCS... good luck on that.xcoffeex

AshevilleApp2
July 30th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Results are that GSU needs to MOL double its annual athletic budget to compete in BCS... good luck on that.xcoffeex

Hang around awhile. You've got a good thing going now.

chrisattsu
July 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I believe a new league will emerge from the 2011 moves. I also believe some schools may move fearing the NCAA will try to make it even harder to move in the future.
The SunBelt can't take all the schools rumored to be moving. Not sure of all but Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Texas State, and JSU are to my knowledge publicly looking with several others rumored plus South Alabama is adding football.

South Alabama is already in the SBC for all other sports, it is not far fetched to believe that their football with be there as well.

Having a Georgia team would be a good move for the SBC. It would give another Eastern player, and I have a feeling that SoAlabama, Troy, FAU, and FIU would support GaSouthern or GaState before adding another trip to Texas.

The other schools discussing FBS are Lamar and UTSA. My friends at UTSA tell me that they are already a shoe-in for CUSA. I really don't lend much credibility to that.

Gringer1
July 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
This kind of stuff makes me sick. I'm a HUGE GSU fan and an advocate for staying in the FCS. It's all of the morons from Atlanta that want to force us to move. The rich Atlanta kids start telling their parents that Statesboro is podunk so their parents start writing letters and spraying slander against our current competitiveness. The administration has completely surrendered to the Atlanta folk and abandoned the down home Georgia Southern people who made this great University. You know, from SOUTH Georgia. If we move, we will never win another national championship and all we will have to look forward to in football is a meaningless conference title in a pathetic joke like the Slum Belch. We have a great thing going here, so why would we bother changing? Oh, right. Gotta please the Atlanta crowd.

ashram
July 30th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I, for one, would be sorry to see the unique FU-GSU rivalry disappear. As much as I love to hate you guys, you need to stay in the SoCon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
This kind of stuff makes me sick. I'm a HUGE GSU fan and an advocate for staying in the FCS. It's all of the morons from Atlanta that want to force us to move. The rich Atlanta kids start telling their parents that Statesboro is podunk so their parents start writing letters and spraying slander against our current competitiveness. The administration has completely surrendered to the Atlanta folk and abandoned the down home Georgia Southern people who made this great University. You know, from SOUTH Georgia. If we move, we will never win another national championship and all we will have to look forward to in football is a meaningless conference title in a pathetic joke like the Slum Belch. We have a great thing going here, so why would we bother changing? Oh, right. Gotta please the Atlanta crowd.

Chill...this whole study is just to appease folks who think we need the rocket to blast off right away regardless of the weather and the readiness of the crew and equipment. Grube said us going to FBS is a matter of "when" and not "if", but will be more of a long-term objective than a 4 or 5 year plan. We aren't going anywhere anytime in the near future. Sit tight and enjoy yourself as we get back on the national scene in the FCS.

Gringer1
July 30th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Chill...this whole study is just to appease folks who think we need the rocket to blast off right away regardless of the weather and the readiness of the crew and equipment. Grube said us going to FBS is a matter of "when" and not "if", but will be more long-term than a 4 or 5 year plan. We aren't going anywhere anytime in the near future. Sit tight and enjoy yourself as we get back on the national scene.

Sorry if I come off as a little intense. I just hate how people who want to keep things the same are labeled as "anti-progress." I love our current set up and it makes me angry the way some people say it isn't good enough. The University just needs to settle down and stop trying to get too big for it's britches.

Eaglesrus
July 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Sorry if I come off as a little intense. I just hate how people who want to keep things the same are labeled as "anti-progress." I love our current set up and it makes me angry the way some people say it isn't good enough. The University just needs to settle down and stop trying to get too big for it's britches.

I thought your previous post was a little over the top, but I was right with you on this one until that last sentence. My thought is that the administration felt they had to commission the study so as to give those people who were agitating for a move so much some hard evidence of just what it would take and why it's not feasible in the near term. I do hope that we try to do some of the things that would be required, even if we aren't doing it with a move to FBS in mind, i.e. replacing or at least expanding Hanner Fieldhouse.

GeauxColonels
July 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
If the Sun Belt wants to expand, are Georgia Southern and Georgia State shoo-ins? Seemingly would "bridge" the conference from west to east while getting the league exposure in the 'ATL'.
I would say yes they more than likely would be. Like you said, Georgia State gives them "exposure" in the Atlanta market (although I'm not really sure how much exposure GA State gets now) and Georgia Southern with give GA State a "natural" rival in the conference.

GeauxColonels
July 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
South Alabama is already in the SBC for all other sports, it is not far fetched to believe that their football with be there as well.

Having a Georgia team would be a good move for the SBC. It would give another Eastern player, and I have a feeling that SoAlabama, Troy, FAU, and FIU would support GaSouthern or GaState before adding another trip to Texas.

The other schools discussing FBS are Lamar and UTSA. My friends at UTSA tell me that they are already a shoe-in for CUSA. I really don't lend much credibility to that.
I think I've read that both Lamar and UTSA are planning to play in the SLC for a few years and then jump up. As someone said before though, all of these moves by FCS schools would probably warrant yet another FBS conference. I can't see CUSA expanding to more than the current 12 teams they already have. But I can easily see ECU and Marshall looking to bolt from the league...and, possibly, UCF as well.

Green26
July 30th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I say stick around too. You have a good thing going, a great tradition and a nice conference.

blueballs
July 30th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I say stick around too. You have a good thing going, a great tradition and a nice conference.

You're right... the bottom line is that the funds aren't there to make a move right now but when GSU's new president comes on board perhaps he lights a fire under everybody's azz and who knows where we go from there?

A lot of the problem is that many many many GSU folks have penis envy of UGA and want to be just like them but don't want to or are unable to shell out the coin to be so.

Eaglesrus
July 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM
You're right... the bottom line is that the funds aren't there to make a move right now but when GSU's new president comes on board perhaps he lights a fire under everybody's azz and who knows where we go from there?

A lot of the problem is that many many many GSU folks have penis envy of UGA and want to be just like them but don't want to or are unable to shell out the coin to be so.

Dead on, as usual

JohnStOnge
July 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM

I also think that the word "compete" is kind of relative. I count 18 teams that moved from I-AA/FCS to I-A/FBS. According to the average ratings at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm, three finished in the top half (the top 60) of FBS last season. Two of those, UConn and South Florida, were fortunate enough to make it into a BCS league. Making it into a BCS league is a pretty unlikely scenario, so I think a better indicator of what is likely to happen is the fact that only one of the other 16 former I-AA/FBS programs finished in the top half of FBS.

When a FCS team moves to FBS, it is far more likely than not that the best the program can hope for in the future is to be able to approach mediocracy in the context of that level and compete to be among the best of the worst.

JohnStOnge
July 30th, 2009, 06:22 PM

Surely there's no sane person in GSU fandom who thinks GSU can be "just like" UGA when it comes to either athletic programs in general or football programs in particular. Right?

AppMan
July 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM
First rule in consulting: You tell them what they want them to hear, so Cocky is spot on ;)

So the question is, what direction do the officials want to go in?

100% correct! The former Chancellor at ASU wanted nothing to do with 1-A and retained the group, Carr & Associates, to give him that answer during our 1-A Study. I was on the committee and it didn't have a shot. Those guys make their living off of referrals and to get them they skew the numbers and results to get the outcome the university desires. Smoke and mirrors.

AppMan
July 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM

So.... The people who want to move are morons and only the smart people want to stay put. That's pretty special. BTW, how did you folks come up with this Georgia SOUTHERN stuff. Statesboro is in Eastern Georgia. Crap, it's only a few miles from the Atlantic! Valdosta is another story. Now that's SOUTH Georgia!

seantaylor
July 31st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Surely there's no sane person in GSU fandom who thinks GSU can be "just like" UGA when it comes to either athletic programs in general or football programs in particular. Right?

Yeah. None of us think we will be a non factor in national titles like thUGA and win our conference once every 30 years. thUGA is the most overrated program every single year.

seantaylor
July 31st, 2009, 02:18 AM
So.... The people who want to move are morons and only the smart people want to stay put. That's pretty special. BTW, how did you folks come up with this Georgia SOUTHERN stuff. Statesboro is in Eastern Georgia. Crap, it's only a few miles from the Atlantic! Valdosta is another story. Now that's SOUTH Georgia!

Umm. GSU is in south Georgia. South eastern Georgia. They don't teach Geography at that hillbilly school?

gsugt1
July 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM

Bingo !!

Eagle22
July 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM

Everything south of I-285 is considered South Georgia :D

ROWDYRUNNERS4LIFE!
July 31st, 2009, 09:52 AM
UTSA will make FBS before Georgia State...especially when we beat them come 2011....GO RUNNERS!!!!!

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Bingo !!

That's the way I've seen it for a while.

That's the biggest detractor, I think, to FCS football. Our teams always try to puff our chests and show how big we are. Well, we just aren't. Sure, once in a blue moon App will beat Michigan. But the reality is we support smaller institutions without millions in the bank to support our football program.

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Everything south of I-285 is considered South Georgia :D

you ain't kidding. I am constantly underwhelmed by most Atlanta-suburbicites knowledge of the state of Georgia.

Green26
July 31st, 2009, 12:00 PM
The recently released Geogia Southern feasibility study essentially concludes that moving up to I-A is not financially feasibility. Here are some highlights.

1. GS's athletlic budget of just over $9 million would have to be increased by 40% to $14.2 million. This increased amount would still be very low for budgets of I-A schools.

2. GS would have to expand it football stadium, as well as other athletic facilities, including a new basketball area and improved practiced facilities. The increased budget amount of $14.2 million does not include the necessary amounts to service the debt of these expanded facilities and related operating costs.

3. The cost of new and improved facilities would be incurred incrementally, as building would be done in phases, but would ultimately cost $84 million. Related debt service would be $5.5 million and $800,000 of operating costs annually.

4. Eventually, the additional annual costs would be $11.3 million annually.

5. The earliest feasible time for moving up would be 2014.

6. Of the boosters, non-contributing ticket payers, students, faculty/staff and alumni surveyed, less than a majority favored moving up. A majority of the boosters favored moving up, with reservations (concerns about cost and whether they would be competitive). One third of the boosters and non-contributing ticket payers were opposed to moving up. Nevertheless, there is still significant support for the move.

7. The after tax income of people living within 50 miles is a very low $32,000.

8. Potential corporate support within 50 miles--for donations and sponsorships--appeared to be at the lower end of comparable markets.

9. Of those surveyed, 72% said they would consider a one-time donation. The average amount would be $239. 74% of the surveyed potential one-time donors would donate less than $249. About 3/4 of Southern Booster donors would consider increasing their donations. The GS booster base would be comparable to other Sun Belt schools, but far below those of other conferences.

10. It appeared that ticket prices could be increased about $5 without encountering significant price resistance. About 3/4 of students said they would be okay with a $25 annual increase in student fees.

11. There was not significant support for premium seating, club seats or suites.

12. Revenue from non-BCS bowl games is a myth and there would not be significant revenue from bowl games. This reality was contrary to the perceptions of many surveyed. I didn't notice a discussion of conference revenues in the executive summary, but maybe I missed it.

13. Recruiting would be positively impacted by moving up. GS could probably be competitive.

14. The Sunbelt or a new conference of teams moving up would be the most likely conferences. GS would seem to be positioned fairly well for the Sun Belt. GS' increased athletic budget would still be very low for the Sunbelt. Far more people would support the move up if the move were to Conference USA (like an increase to about 75% from about 50%, if I read this right).

15. While there is significant pride and support for the move in the fan base, due to the magnitude of the necessary additional funds, the current support base "would not be able to generate adequate funds" to pay for the cost of moving up.

16. The decision would not be based on any profit motive. It would have to be based on the prestige factor and how that would impact the school.

Feel free to supplement or correct. I did this fairly fast, without having a hard copy in front of me. I read only the executive summary.

Seven Would Be Nice
July 31st, 2009, 12:22 PM
Man.... if you guys thought GSU fans were at each others throats back in the BVG days... that was nothing compared to the way the message boards look today.
People are getting intense over this study!

So - my question for the rest of the IAA world...If your school recently conducted a similar study, how did your fan base react? Was it a split decision? Were people civil? Or did it seem like a pack of ravenous dogs fighting over the last piece of meat?

OL FU
July 31st, 2009, 12:55 PM
Saw some of the stuff on the GSU mesage board. I understand the frustrations of those that want to move, but I will never understand those that take the frustration of wanting move up out on the SoCon. Oh well.

grayghost06
July 31st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah. None of us think we will be a non factor in national titles like thUGA and win our conference once every 30 years. thUGA is the most overrated program every single year.

You are right about that...How can a program with consistently top recruiting classes underachieve so often? I'd love to see pre-season top 25s from the last 15 years vs the reality of where UGA actually finished in those years.

centexguy
July 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I think I've read that both Lamar and UTSA are planning to play in the SLC for a few years and then jump up. As someone said before though, all of these moves by FCS schools would probably warrant yet another FBS conference. I can't see CUSA expanding to more than the current 12 teams they already have. But I can easily see ECU and Marshall looking to bolt from the league...and, possibly, UCF as well.

The administration at Lamar hasn't publicly stated they want to go FBS, unlike Texas State and UTSA. The president of Lamar did say a few months ago that the stadium could be easily expanded to 36,000 if they do go FBS in the future, but it probably won't happen while he's president.

Eagle22
July 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
Man.... if you guys thought GSU fans were at each others throats back in the BVG days... that was nothing compared to the way the message boards look today.
People are getting intense over this study!

So - my question for the rest of the IAA world...If your school recently conducted a similar study, how did your fan base react? Was it a split decision? Were people civil? Or did it seem like a pack of ravenous dogs fighting over the last piece of meat?

Not even close.

Sure, folks are intense ... but that is because with a 113 page document, there is something in there for almost every position ... lots of validation for some long standing arguments on BOTH sides, interestingly enough.

I haven't had to delete a single message yet ... That wasn't the case when BVG was our coach.

I personally believe that since the day Tim Stowers was fired, our fan base has been split into the proverbial 'half' you speak of.

Whether it has been Stowers, Sam Baker, I-AA vs. I-A, FCS vs. FBS, Sewak, Hatcher, Rusty Russell, Joe Tresey, etc ... we've had a long history of picking sides for discussions over the last 15 years ... only PJ, AP and Jayson Foster have been consensus points of agreement over the years.

Guess that's why my board stays busy ...

OL FU
July 31st, 2009, 02:24 PM
Not even close.

Sure, folks are intense ... but that is because with a 113 page document, there is something in there for almost every position ... lots of validation for some long standing arguments on BOTH sides, interestingly enough.

I haven't had to delete a single message yet ... That wasn't the case when BVG was our coach.

I personally believe that since the day Tim Stowers was fired, our fan base has been split into the proverbial 'half' you speak of.

Whether it has been Stowers, Sam Baker, I-AA vs. I-A, FCS vs. FBS, Sewak, Hatcher, Rusty Russell, Joe Tresey, etc ... we've had a long history of picking sides for discussions over the last 15 years ... only PJ, AP and Jayson Foster have been consensus points of agreement over the years.

so you're responsible for that hate festxmadx

It is a vibrant and interesting boardxthumbsupx

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 02:44 PM
I hope Ga Southern remains in I-AA, as it's a program that once it gets back on track is an excellent representation of the division. Smaller school, very successful and is the antithesis of schools in the SEC region.

I could think of equally disheartening scenarios- schools like Montana and UD going I-A. Just doesn't feel right.

Eaglesrus
July 31st, 2009, 03:05 PM

Is the ommission of Erk an oversite or have I missed something? And then there's Glory :)

Eaglesrus
July 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
Oh, guess I skipped over "the last 15 years" part, but that still leaves the question of Glory?

Eagle22
July 31st, 2009, 03:10 PM
so you're responsible for that hate festxmadx

It is a vibrant and interesting boardxthumbsupx

You say hate fest, I say passion. xnodx

We didn't have this sort of internal gnashing of teeth and bickering when Erk was the coach, and Bucky was the AD, because all of the Eagle nation was united and working toward a common goal.

Our leadership over the last 15 years hasn't maintained that focus, and I believe the fallout is manifesting itself as a fanbase divided.

Granted, there are some folks on the board who are off the deep end ... there is no doubt about it.

The problem facing GSU is that so much has been accomplished with so little, that a large portion of the fanbase is unrealistic on what it really takes to compete on the Division I level.

Spoiled, from early success. I don't believe any rational person can dispute that.

OL FU
July 31st, 2009, 03:20 PM

I was kidding, should have used the smiley face afterwards:oxnodxxthumbsupx

OL FU
July 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM

We didn't have this sort of internal gnashing of teeth and bickering when Erk was the coach, and Bucky was the AD, because all of the Eagle nation was united and working toward a common goal.

Our leadership over the last 15 years hasn't maintained that focus, and I believe the fallout is manifesting itself as a fanbase divided.

Granted, there are some folks on the board who are off the deep end ... there is no doubt about it.

The problem facing GSU is that so much has been accomplished with so little, that a large portion of the fanbase is unrealistic on what it really takes to compete on the Division I level.

Spoiled, from early success. I don't believe any rational person can dispute that.

I think your last statement sums it up pretty well. I wonder though if most of the unrealistic proponents of FBS ( not saying it is unrealistic but from what I read a lot don't understand just how hard it is to be successful at the FBS level above Sunbelt status) are younger fans or the older fans from the Erk days.

eaglewraith
July 31st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, guess I skipped over "the last 15 years" part, but that still leaves the question of Glory?

You mean Freedom, the eagle that flies during pregame?

Glory has an injured wing and she is unable to fly.

Eaglesrus
July 31st, 2009, 04:36 PM
You mean Freedom, the eagle that flies during pregame?

Glory has an injured wing and she is unable to fly.

I haven't heard of any difference of opinion about either one of them; I know that I'm a fan of both. I liked it when one sat on a perch over by where Erk's bust is during the game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Sam has certainly made us into an efficient FCS program. I don't think there is another program that gets more bang for its buck. On the other hand, we've fallen behind other FCS programs in terms of the quality of our facilities and Sam doesn't even seem to want to try to get them up to par to get into a mid-major FBS conference.

Good to see that everyone over there is discussing the hot-button issue like adults. I stopped posting and just became a reader after the apocalypse that ensued after the evening of September 9, 2006. Need to get registered again sometime soon.

parr90
July 31st, 2009, 05:48 PM

Its not the university pushing this. Its the fans. As a former player from the 80's I can tell you that this is something we have wanted to do for a long time and it is the current pres and AD that have not pursued this. Erk Russell wanted to see the program he created to play the likes of ND, Georgia and Auburn on a weekly basis. Some folks may not think its the best thing and everyone has their oppinions but for the main bulk of athletic supporters and people involved, this is something that we want to see happen. Never win another NC again......maybe maybe not, but I dont think there is a better school in the country that would want to make this move with a better situation to succeed simply because of the ability to recruit players. Not even App st. The fact that we are in a hotbed of football talent and the school is attractive is enough to attract players, many who are going out of state, that would rather play at home. Teams like Marshall did ok for a while but cant keep it going because they just cant compete recruiting wise. We couldnt be in a better location to get great football talent.

JohnStOnge
July 31st, 2009, 08:03 PM
Its not the university pushing this. Its the fans. As a former player from the 80's I can tell you that this is something we have wanted to do for a long time and it is the current pres and AD that have not pursued this. Erk Russell wanted to see the program he created to play the likes of ND, Georgia and Auburn on a weekly basis. Some folks may not think its the best thing and everyone has their oppinions but for the main bulk of athletic supporters and people involved, this is something that we want to see happen. Never win another NC again......maybe maybe not, but I dont think there is a better school in the country that would want to make this move with a better situation to succeed simply because of the ability to recruit players. Not even App st. The fact that we are in a hotbed of football talent and the school is attractive is enough to attract players, many who are going out of state, that would rather play at home. Teams like Marshall did ok for a while but cant keep it going because they just cant compete recruiting wise. We couldnt be in a better location to get great football talent.

With all due respect, I think that kind of outlook is delusionsal. Do you honestly think that Georgia Southern could, if it moved to FBS, "maybe" win a "national championship?" Do you honestly think that Georgia Southern could, if it goes FBS, play the likes of Notre Dame, Georgia, and Auburn on a weekly basis and finish with winning records? If they join the Sun Belt and play Troy, ULM, ULM, etc. with a couple of games per year against BCS leauge opponents, yes. But they're not going to come anywhere close to winning more than they lose against teams like Georgia, Auburn, and Notre Dame.

And, yes, a school could be in a better location to get great football talent. Sam Houston State is in a better location. Texas Southern is in a better location. Bethune Cookman is in a better location. Florida A&M is in a better location. Lots of schools are in better locations. It's not that Georgia Southern is in a bad location, but there are plenty of better ones among FCS schools. If you're in Southeast Texas or just about anywhere in Florida, for instance, you're in a better location for football talent than Georgia Southern is.

JohnStOnge
July 31st, 2009, 08:15 PM
The fact that we are in a hotbed of football talent and the school is attractive is enough to attract players, many who are going out of state, that would rather play at home. Teams like Marshall did ok for a while but cant keep it going because they just cant compete recruiting wise. We couldnt be in a better location to get great football talent.

Take a look at the map of NFL player production I'm going to post below and consider North Texas (the Dallas metro area). Georgia Southern is not...no way and now how...in as rich a talent area as North Texas is. If you think Georgia Southern is somehow in a better location for recruiting local talent than any other school that's made the move from I-AA/FCS to I-A/FBS in the past, you're really kidding yourself. By the way, take a look at the area that Georgia Southern is in. It's actually kind of a "gap" in the otherwise talent rich Southeast.

http://www.rivals.com/uploads/1014/134318.jpg

Gringer1
July 31st, 2009, 09:57 PM

The President and AD say things like "It's not if, it's when." According to the feasibility study, the majority of responses were negative to an FBS move. You're actually backwards when you say most people want this and the University won't do it. It's the loudmouthed minority who want to see us change. We might be mildly successful at the next level, but how do you define success in the FBS? Winning the Sun Belt once or twice a decade and playing in the Emerald Bowl every few years against a 6 win team? No thanks. I'd rather go to a standing room only game of 25,000 with a 1-AA National Title on the line than a half empty crowd of 30,000 with nothing more than a victory over UL Lafayette riding on the game.

parr90
July 31st, 2009, 10:21 PM
Your maps mean nothing. Im from Georgia and know high school football and the state. My main point was to say that there are so many good football players that just want to play 1a that leave the state that would rather play at home. Those other schools you mentiond dont have the football name with in their state like GSU does. Not to say they arent any good or dont have a name but just not as reconized for football in their state as GSU is to those that live in Georgia and play football. Some of the best high school football players in the country live within 200 miles of GSU's campus and they cant all go to UGA or Tech. You take what I said to the extream. I never said GSU would win a NC if they went 1A but I think the possibility down the road maybe 20-30 years which isnt that long depending on how you look at it. You obviously didnt play college football if you dont think that Auburn and ND cant be beat by a GSU with a few years of recruiting under their belt at the 1a level. GSU is a very recognized school in Georgia and our past success's are the conversation of many in the state. I would bet that high school players in Texas dont talk about Sam Houston st the way they do GSU. And yes GSU is in a hotbed of football talent. Do they have more than the area you described? Maybe not but the state is different in that there are only 2 1a schools and Tech has to recruit alot of out of state players at least up until paul johnson got there. I just believe that GSU would do better at this than most that have because of our situation within our state. Next time I go on a trip I'll call you to get a map.

parr90
July 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
The President and AD say things like "It's not if, it's when." According to the feasibility study, the majority of responses were negative to an FBS move. You're actually backwards when you say most people want this and the University won't do it. It's the loudmouthed minority who want to see us change. We might be mildly successful at the next level, but how do you define success in the FBS? Winning the Sun Belt once or twice a decade and playing in the Emerald Bowl every few years against a 6 win team? No thanks. I'd rather go to a standing room only game of 25,000 with a 1-AA National Title on the line than a half empty crowd of 30,000 with nothing more than a victory over UL Lafayette riding on the game.

Well take your butt to West Georgia then because regardless of what the study says the majority of people would like to see GSU make the move. I can tell by your statements that you arent very educated on this matter. I dont say that to be rude. But I am very involved in this and have spoken to hundreds of people regarding this. I know the coaching staff personaly. I know the pres and AD personaly. I am a commited donor. I am a member of the efaa which is an player alumni association. This is a topic that has been talked about for a long time. I respect your position but it is not the majority.

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Take a look at the map of NFL player production I'm going to post below and consider North Texas (the Dallas metro area). Georgia Southern is not...no way and now how...in as rich a talent area as North Texas is. If you think Georgia Southern is somehow in a better location for recruiting local talent than any other school that's made the move from I-AA/FCS to I-A/FBS in the past, you're really kidding yourself. By the way, take a look at the area that Georgia Southern is in. It's actually kind of a "gap" in the otherwise talent rich Southeast.

Your maps mean nothing. Im from Georgia and know high school football and the state. My main point was to say that there are so many good football players that just want to play 1a that leave the state that would rather play at home. Those other schools you mentiond dont have the football name with in their state like GSU does. Not to say they arent any good or dont have a name but just not as reconized for football in their state as GSU is to those that live in Georgia and play football. Some of the best high school football players in the country live within 200 miles of GSU's campus and they cant all go to UGA or Tech. You take what I said to the extream. I never said GSU would win a NC if they went 1A but I think the possibility down the road maybe 20-30 years which isnt that long depending on how you look at it. You obviously didnt play college football if you dont think that Auburn and ND cant be beat by a GSU with a few years of recruiting under their belt at the 1a level. GSU is a very recognized school in Georgia and our past success's are the conversation of many in the state. I would bet that high school players in Texas dont talk about Sam Houston st the way they do GSU. And yes GSU is in a hotbed of football talent. Do they have more than the area you described? Maybe not but the state is different in that there are only 2 1a schools and Tech has to recruit alot of out of state players at least up until paul johnson got there. I just believe that GSU would do better at this than most that have because of our situation within our state. Next time I go on a trip I'll call you to get a map.

Well take your butt to West Georgia then because regardless of what the study says the majority of people would like to see GSU make the move. I can tell by your statements that you arent very educated on this matter. I dont say that to be rude. But I am very involved in this and have spoken to hundreds of people regarding this. I know the coaching staff personaly. I know the pres and AD personaly. I am a commited donor. I am a member of the efaa which is an player alumni association. This is a topic that has been talked about for a long time. I respect your position but it is not the majority.

heated debate starts on 2 fronts in 3....2.....1......xpissedxxanim_chaixxblahblahx xflamemadx xsmashxxbangxxshakingmadx

It's a GSU Civil war I say!!!!

Gringer1
July 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM

The feasibility study itself says that the majority simply does not want this. This means we have to either say that the majority does not want to move or the study is flawed, in which case it is a waste and irrelevant. I'm not trying to rile you up or get offensive, I just really don't want us to change for no real reason. It seems like those with the ability to move us up want to do it regardless of the implications and without a meaningful discussion by all stakeholders. I stand by what I said: 25,000 in a packed house with National Title implications is better than 30,000 half empty with nothing more than beating Lafayette and a trip to a wheedwhacker bowl on the line.

Green26
August 1st, 2009, 01:16 AM
Read the study. It says that GSU would have to have $11.2 million of additional funds to pay for going to and being in I-A. It's current budget is a bit over $9 million.

Where is the additional funding going to come from?

drpnut
August 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM
I guess what GASouth faithful have to decide is simply this:

Do you want to continue a strong tradition in FCS and have a legitimate shot at being a "Top Eagle" for many years to come. or...

Go up to FBS and struggle and get mired in mediocrity for at least 10 years?

That's the way I see it. I believe if GSU moves up it would be at least 10 years before they are winning consistently against even the likes of Ball State type teams.

This is not a criticism, just reality. I think there are way too many folks "drinking the Kool-Aid."

parr90
August 1st, 2009, 09:26 AM
No one says you guys have to like it or agree with our idea. We came from watching a team win 6 NC in 25 years that came from nothing. We believe we can do more. and regardless of what the study says the majority of people invoved with GSU would like to see a move. I dont think we would be the whipping tree at all. Some of you do thats fine. We think we could be competitive in a short time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM

Do you want to continue a strong tradition in FCS and have a legitimate shot at being a "Top Eagle" for many years to come. or...

That's the way I see it. I believe if GSU moves up it would be at least 10 years before they are winning consistently against even the likes of Ball State type teams.

This is not a criticism, just reality. I think there are way too many folks "drinking the Kool-Aid."

I dunno....the elite FCS teams certainly have talent that can match the best teams of conferences like the MAC and Sun Belt. I think we could instantly compete for titles in those conferences. Now whether or not we can be a BCS buster is another matter entirely. It will take some time to do that, if at all.

blueballs
August 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
The bottom line is money and currently GSU doesn't have it and I can't see where it is going to come from in order to make a sustained successful move up.

GSU either has to double donations, double the amount of boosters, gain huge corporate sponsorship in what is largely a lower income rural area, or some combination of the above.

You will also find, if everybody is dead honest about it, that a LOT of the folks who want GSU in FBS aren't willing or able to produce the coin to make it possible.... but if hot air was money GSU could afford to play in the NFL.

Reading the GSU boards the last couple of days has been really sad... the team goes to camp next week and there has not been a single post in the last two days about the 2009 edition of the Eagles, just an ongoing argument.

What is largely overlooked in the study by the blowhards is the demographic statistics, which paint a grim picture but are very informative and if used properly by the university will make the study worthwhile whether a move is made or not.

These are just some observations from a long time season ticket holder and booster who starting this year chose not to purchase season tickets or donate any longer. I think the Hatcher regime will ultimately be successful- perhaps this year and definitely in 2010 and 2011- but over the last 5-6 years the administration has effectively killed the brand of GSU football, its identity, and because of all that its success and mojo. The program is not nor has it been in several years the program that grew from Erk Russell, it is now Sam Baker and Bruce Grube's program and that is a step backwards.

Perhaps the new administration will change the direction of things but there have been two great opportunities lost and when they ran off Erk (who passed away a couple of years later) and ditched the signature offense those two things effectively destroyed what made GSU football special. Now, although GSU is still one of the leaders in attendance, it is not really any different than anybody else, which is a shame.

Green26
August 1st, 2009, 02:08 PM
In reading the feasibility study today, I see that I goofed up no. 6 from my earlier summary in this thread, by confusing support for moving up with those who felt that it was financially feasible to move up. Essentially, a majority of those surveyed supported moving up--not just certain subgroups--but less than a majority believed the local community would have sufficient resources to financially support the move.

Gringer1
August 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Perhaps the new administration will change the direction of things but there have been two great opportunities lost and when they ran off Erk (who passed away a couple of years later) and ditched the signature offense those two things effectively destroyed what made GSU football special. Now, although GSU is still one of the leaders in attendance, it is not really any different than anybody else, which is a shame.

That's what really bugs me. The administration has taken devisive action the past several years that has disrupted the GSU community. A sense of community and respect for the city of Statesboro is what made Georgia Southern, but that's been largely forgotten. The one-sided "discussion" the administration is having about the FBS epitomizes what's been going on for a long time. Eagle fans really need to get back together in support of the team and put aside our bickering. If we all pull part of the University in a different direction, we can't possibly succeed. 3 simple steps to success:
1. Support the team.
2. Support the coach.
3. Support the current season one game at a time.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM

I've been reading on the GSUfans board about our supposed missed opportunities, and I'm not so sure they are that. I agree it would be good to be immediately competitive in whatever FBS conference you choose to go into, but I'm not sure that would have been the case. After the first dynasty we would have had Stowers as our debut FCS coach and after the second one we would have had Sewak. With Stowers' uninspired and lame playcalling or Sewak's poor program management I don't think they'd be able to get us started strong. And I don't even want to think about how VanGoob's nearly consummate stupidity and incompetence would have made for a rough transition.

JohnStOnge
August 1st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Yes, it's plausible for Georgia Southern to be competetive in the Sun Belt. And if it makes you happy to be in a FBS conference that has, since its inception, won 33% of its games against the FCS Southland, knock yourselves out.

But thinking that there is a realistic shot that Georgia Southern can move to FBS and end up with a program that's "like" the University of Georgia program is delusional. It's not going to happen.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 1st, 2009, 11:07 PM
Yes, it's plausible for Georgia Southern to be competetive in the Sun Belt. And if it makes you happy to be in a FBS conference that has, since its inception, won 33% of its games against the FCS Southland, knock yourselves out.

But thinking that there is a realistic shot that Georgia Southern can move to FBS and end up with a program that's "like" the University of Georgia program is delusional. It's not going to happen.

Not sure where you are getting the 33% number from. ULL and North Texas beat Nicholls State. Northwestern State beat ULM twice and lost to ULL twice. And of course McNeese hammered ULL in 2007. That's a 4-3 record for the Sun Belt against the SLC if my count is right.

Not that it would really matter even if it was 33%. That's just a testament to the fact that there isn't much of a talent gap between the best FCS schools and the best teams in conferences like the MAC and Sun Belt. It's not as if the MAC really has a great track record against good FCS teams with CMU winning the MAC championship in 2007 and at in the very same season getting a mudhole stomped in them by North Dakota State.

It's not a higher level of competition that attracts programs to the mid-major conferences in the FBS. As much as I'd rather be in the FCS national championship than the tampax.com tampon bowl, the latter will be more lucrative for the program. Given the fact that we are already taking many recruits with offers from mid-major FBS programs (as are many top FCS programs), I think we could immediatly compete in these conferences and get lower-tier bowl bids early.

JDC325
August 5th, 2009, 07:07 PM

I could deal with 10 years of mediocrity,four of which are considered transition anyway, for the at least the chance to prove yourself at the highest levels. It took Boise 11 and I bet 99.99% of their supporters do not miss they days of being an elite I-AA program. Listen if GSU was basically the same as GSC of 1970 then I would not be in support of a move but the growth that has take place just in the last ten years is more than a lot if not a majority of FCS schools have grown in the last 50. No offense but GSU is an improving and growing school in every aspect not like a small private school like Wofford who is not growing or cares to for that matter. Virtually all categories we currently rank low in have a very bright future for growth and not just minor growth. We are no longer a small teachers college producing mid level income earning teachers. The college of business overtook the college of education years ago. I don't expect outsiders to fully grasp how far GSU has come in the last 20 years. You have to see it first hand. The ONLY thing in that study GSU should be concerned with not improving rigtht in the immediate future is local support but hey it has dimished severly from the begining and we still have grown just fine. It will take more than a jump to get the local non GSU alumni from sending all there money to Athens. I am not dellusional to think we are going to catch UGA in my lifetime but our future is a lot brighter than any of the current Sun Belt teams outsided of FIU and FAU.

Wanting to move up is not a bash on the FCS I wish folks around here would not get all work up and defensive every time a schools talks about moving up.

Gringer1
August 5th, 2009, 08:08 PM
The point is, we would almost definitely be a joke for at least 5 years. Even if we managed to escape being a pushover and became a contender in the Sun Belt, what's the reward? Winning 6 or 7 games a year against teams that don't get any respect (even though they're FBS) and going to a WeedWhacker bowl game nobody watches? Do you really think "improving" Paulson by slapping concrete decks over the stands and erasing the classic grass box sliding zone is going to draw in 30,000 more fans? The true fans are the 18,000 who already show up to every game. Some people mention that the locals aren't behind GSU anymore, well this is one reason some of them aren't. GSU used to be very reverant of the local scene, but now Statesboro townsfolk are treated as subclass yokels. I'm a Georgia Southern fan for life and I'll follow the team wherever it goes, but I would much rather go to National Championship games with 18,000 dedicated fans than the Glade Plugins Bowl with 30,000 fair weather fans who are just there because "we're all grown up now."

Mntneer
August 6th, 2009, 07:33 AM
As much as I'd rather be in the FCS national championship than the tampax.com tampon bowl, the latter will be more lucrative for the program.

Is that really true though? Wasn't one of the conclusions of the study that making money on non-BCS bowls is largely a myth?

JDC325
August 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Is that really true though? Wasn't one of the conclusions of the study that making money on non-BCS bowls is largely a myth?

True those bowls do not pay a lot if at all but the exposure for the schools and football program surpasses the NC game. The are better attended and watched on TV. The bowl system is obviously inferior to the playoff system but the pressure to move towards a playoff gets stronger every year for the FBS. I can not understand the mentallity of wanting to stay purely for selfish reasons like winning additional NC's when you have moved well beyond where you were when you won your first one on top of some many of the elite teams that used to be rivals that have moved on. Sure some teams have filled the void but not all. The study aslo said the majority of folks agreed it would benifit national exposure for the school and would draw alumni closer how is that a bad thing?

70%+ of all GSU folk combined want the move. It is 85% for the students so the pressure to move up is only going to get stronger.

JDC325
August 6th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The point is, we would almost definitely be a joke for at least 5 years. Even if we managed to escape being a pushover and became a contender in the Sun Belt, what's the reward? Winning 6 or 7 games a year against teams that don't get any respect (even though they're FBS) and going to a WeedWhacker bowl game nobody watches? Do you really think "improving" Paulson by slapping concrete decks over the stands and erasing the classic grass box sliding zone is going to draw in 30,000 more fans? The true fans are the 18,000 who already show up to every game. Some people mention that the locals aren't behind GSU anymore, well this is one reason some of them aren't. GSU used to be very reverant of the local scene, but now Statesboro townsfolk are treated as subclass yokels. I'm a Georgia Southern fan for life and I'll follow the team wherever it goes, but I would much rather go to National Championship games with 18,000 dedicated fans than the Glade Plugins Bowl with 30,000 fair weather fans who are just there because "we're all grown up now."

So your not willing to let your ego take a hit for five years for let your alma mater have the chance to grow again like it started to in the early 80's? With that mentality we should drop to DIV II or NAIA so we could virtually guarantee NC's and draw down attendance to only the super duper hard core fanatic fans. I mean since you are not worried about the actual schools we play to prove our dominance then the division should not matter to you either. Aslo the actual paid attendance is NOT 18,000 nor is it the exact same folks for every game. If you actual have been paying attention the attendance is only slightly better than it was in the mid 80's AND students make up far more of the attendees than they did back then so actual paid attendees have actually decreased over time. If the locals want to get all perturbed because the university does not bow down to the locals like it might have in the past the majority of them just need to check their wallets and realize Statesboro would look like Portal if it were not for the school.

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM
So your not willing to let your ego take a hit for five years for let your alma mater have the chance to grow again like it started to in the early 80's?... If the locals want to get all perturbed because the university does not bow down to the locals like it might have in the past the majority of them just need to check their wallets and realize Statesboro would look like Portal if it were not for the school.
I'm not a GSU expert, but it would seem to me Gringer was pretty much spot on. Do you think Savannah and eastern Georgia has enough people who aren't already lifelong UGA fans to support your program enough to carry it beyond the Sun Belt? There's not a team in the SunBelt that will ever be anything more than an also-ran in I-A. The SEC nor ACC is going to be extending an invite any time soon. With nowhere else to go, GSU would be the next Troy or the next ArkSt. GSU, much like UD, has their niche.

eaglewithabus
August 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I'm not a GSU expert, but it would seem to me Gringer was pretty much spot on. Do you think Savannah and eastern Georgia has enough people who aren't already lifelong UGA fans to support your program enough to carry it beyond the Sun Belt? There's not a team in the SunBelt that will ever be anything more than an also-ran in I-A. The SEC nor ACC is going to be extending an invite any time soon. With nowhere else to go, GSU would be the next Troy or the next ArkSt. GSU, much like UD, has their niche.

Give those people in the area something to support that catches their interest and yes, there is certainly enough fans and way more than enough money to get GSU a long long ways. We just have to get people a product that they want to take ownership in. This is not meant as a knock, but for people who are not die hards, a weekend game vs. samford, elon, citadel, utc, western, south dakota, coastal carolina, austin peay, albany, central connecticut......etc. means nothing, absolutely nothing to them. Most casual GSU fans are interested in app and furman as far as regular season goes and no one else. If we started playing some teams that people at least knew a little bit about, I think it could make a huge difference in the amount of attention/support we get from the surrounding populations.

gophoenix
August 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Give those people in the area something to support that catches their interest and yes, there is certainly enough fans and way more than enough money to get GSU a long long ways. We just have to get people a product that they want to take ownership in. This is not meant as a knock, but for people who are not die hards, a weekend game vs. samford, elon, citadel, utc, western, south dakota, coastal carolina, austin peay, albany, central connecticut......etc. means nothing, absolutely nothing to them. Most casual GSU fans are interested in app and furman as far as regular season goes and no one else. If we started playing some teams that people at least knew a little bit about, I think it could make a huge difference in the amount of attention/support we get from the surrounding populations.

Don't you think that's true with any schools, including the ones listed above???

chrisattsu
August 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM

That's not necessarily true. While I agree with you that it is unlikely that these schools will get to a BCS conference (SEC, Big XII or Big 10), but given their location, support, and funding, some of their schools could find a home in the WAC or CUSA. From there, you never know what kind of shuffle could happen. They could end up in the Big East or MWC.

If CUSA or the Big East wanted Miami they could take FAU or FIU
If MWC wanted a travel partner for TCU they could look at UNT or UTEP (which would create a free spot in CUSA)

South Florida is sitting by itself in the Big East. Maybe a Sunbelt or CUSA team could help them expand southward.

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM
This is not meant as a knock, but for people who are not die hards, a weekend game vs. samford, elon, citadel, utc, western, south dakota, coastal carolina, austin peay, albany, central connecticut......etc. means nothing, absolutely nothing to them.
And games against Troy, ArkSt, North Texas, WKU, etc... would? xconfusedx

89Hen
August 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM
That's not necessarily true. While I agree with you that it is unlikely that these schools will get to a BCS conference (SEC, Big XII or Big 10), but given their location, support, and funding, some of their schools could find a home in the WAC or CUSA. From there, you never know what kind of shuffle could happen. They could end up in the Big East or MWC.
Like who? xeyebrowx

chrisattsu
August 6th, 2009, 10:54 AM

I can see if I can find the ratings, but the New Orleans bowl has beat the FCS National Championship game in TV ratings EVERY YEAR for the last five years.

Last year's Motor City Bowl (Florida Atlantic v. Central Mich) had a 2.5 Neilsen Rating which ranked higher than Ft Worth (Houston/Airforce), EagleBank (Wake/Navy), GMAC (Ball St./Tulsa), Boise (Maryland/Nevada), Independence (LaTech/North Ill), Insight (Kansas/Minn), International (UConn/Buffalo), New Orleans (SoMiss/Troy), PapaJohns(Rutgers/NCState), StPete (SoFlo/Memphis), Sun(Oregon/Pitt), Texas(Rice/WestMich)

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/tvratings

crossfire07
August 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I can see if I can find the ratings, but the New Orleans bowl has beat the FCS National Championship game in TV ratings EVERY YEAR for the last five years.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/tvratings

that .80 rating for the 08 New Orleans Bowl is impressive INDEED. definitely some big time numbers for some BIG TIME FBS schools.

chrisattsu
August 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
that .80 rating for the 08 New Orleans Bowl is impressive INDEED. definitely some big time numbers for some BIG TIME FBS schools.

I am not disputing that a 0.8 TV share is less than great. Then again there are usually a few games that rank under 1.0 annually.

2008 Texas Bowl (Rice / West Mich) -- 0.3
2007 Insight (Ok State / Indiana) -- 0.4
2007 Humanitarian (Fresno v GaTech) -- 0.77
2007 Texas (TCU / Houston) -- 0.3
2006 Insight (Texas Tech / Minnesota) -- 0.9
2006 Poinsetta (Colorado State / Navy) -- 0.89

Gringer1
August 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
So your not willing to let your ego take a hit for five years for let your alma mater have the chance to grow again like it started to in the early 80's?

It's not my ego, it's my pride in the school my parents and grandparents built. Five years is the minimum it would take to get into the lowest of low bowl considerations, but it would probably take longer. It's not just about decorating the walls with more FCS National Championships, it's about finding your niche and doing your best at it. Yes, people watch the WeedWhacker bowls because there is no other football on and bowls are the last college football of the season, but do you know what happens after those games are over? People either joke about how pathetic the teams are and how we need to decrease the number of bowl games or they just forget about it completely. Call it growth and progress all you want, but I don't see the payoff in drawing in more fair weather fans and trying to win bowl games nobody remembers the names of for a check to pay back a tiny part of the massive debt we'll build financing this. You cannot convince me that 30,000 more fans will flock to games screaming "OMG!!!!! DID YOU HEAR? GEORGIA SOUTHERN JOINED THE SUN BELT!!!!!! THAT MAKES THEM THE BESTEST THINGY EVER!!!! We're guaranteed to go to the Victoria's Secret Bowl and be just like UGA! The whole country will respect us now!"

catdaddy2402
August 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Even if we managed to escape being a pushover and became a contender in the Sun Belt, what's the reward? Winning 6 or 7 games a year against teams that don't get any respect (even though they're FBS) and going to a WeedWhacker bowl game nobody watches?

Is it really any different than playing for a FCS Championship that even less people watch?