PDA

View Full Version : Some preseason numbers on a few GRIZ

mtgrizfan4life
July 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
This was posted on egriz by a solid poster that is not one to make things up. As he states this from what he heard from players, nonetheless anything close to these numbers would be impressive. Our top 3 WRs, all under 4.5, with 2 under 4.4. Dan Moore at rb, power cleaning over 440 lbs, DAMN!!!!! Ty Palmer, a WR, running 4.46 and power cleaning 375 lbs. I am sure Greenie is jumping for joy, read on and see Marian's 40 time, and surprised he had not posted this yet. I hope Mariani comes close to this for scouts. If so, no doubt his stock will increase alot. Anyway, here it is.

If you are curious, a few impressive max numbers i heard from a few players this last week.

Ty Palmer power cleaned almost 375 pounds.

Jace Palmer benched over 400.

Dan Moore was the only Grizzly (and by only I mean I can't believe any human in the world can do this) to power clean over 400 pounds........think about that for a second.....a running back, a 19 year old one at that, power cleaned over 400 pounds. WOW. Ok, MoONER is over. Yeah I just made up a word. Bill Simmons would love that. Better than PapelBONER

Incoming freshman Jordan Tripp power cleaned an impressive 290.

Alex Shaw is squatting over 450.

I remember there being a debate over 40 times, especially with our receivers. Well, let me tell you, we have one of the fastest receiving corps in the FCS there is no question in my mind.

Palmer ran a 4.46.

Jabin Sambrano ran a 4.39

and Marc Mariani ran a ............drum roll please.......4.33!

If Marc can replicate a sub 4.4 and replicate his 41-inch vertical test during a pro day/at the combine, he will be in the league no question about it, I don't care if he LOSES 20 pounds. Sub 4.4 is elite no matter what level.

Hellgate60
July 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM
WOW! I'm excited for football season!

Silenoz
July 29th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Can't wait to see what Moore does this year

Assuming the Reynolds'es don't take up all the carries

BossEagle
July 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM
See!!! it just isn't fair!! xbawlingx ITS NOT FAIR!!! xbawlingx

Green26
July 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
The above 40 numbers aren't correct. Mariani ran 4.38. Palmer ran 4.50. I think Sambrano ran 4.38, or close to that. Mariani's average vertical of 3 leaps was 38 inches. He didn't have any jumps over 40 this time, altho he usually does. The 40 testing was done 3 weeks ago. I believe the weight maxes and jumps were last week. Summer voluntary "practices" and organized lifting and fitness are done.

Ronbo
July 29th, 2009, 07:01 PM
The players told several posters at eGriz the team used an electronic timer for the 40's. Can you confirm that Jack?

Green26
July 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Electronically timed. UM has used electronic timing for some time. There were camera-looking boxes on tripods on each side of the start, at various 10-yard splits and at the finish. I attended one of the recent sessions, which were held in the stadium. When they run, or have to run, indoors, they sometimes use a pressure-sensitive mat at the start, which starts the clock when the pressure of the hand is released from the mat. I assume the differences in equipment, running surface, shoes, etc. can result in variations in times, at least to some extent. Things like weather and injury also are factors. There is no handheld aspect to it. The timing methodology, while perhaps not like the NFL or others, is consistent, and the reported times are honest. They are used for individual comparative purposes from spring to summer, and for comparisons within the team. Guys like Mariani are consistently very fast. Guys like Colt Anderson showed huge improvement over the years. Guys like Balogh worked with the strength coach on their speed after the season, and improved their times considerably (like by .2 or so) for pro day. The strength coach's program emphasizes leg strength and explosiveness. This helps with quicker starts and explosiveness. Obviously, quicker starts and better explosiveness improve 40 times. I've been told the Montana strength coach is better at this than most of services that agents send of their clients to following their senior seasons. Some of the Griz currently in the NFL would tell you that too.

Ronbo
July 30th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Electronically timed. UM has used electronic timing for some time. There were camera-looking boxes on tripods on each side of the start, at various 10-yard splits and at the finish. I attended one of the recent sessions, which were held in the stadium. When they run, or have to run, indoors, they sometimes use a pressure-sensitive mat at the start, which starts the clock when the pressure of the hand is released from the mat. I assume the differences in equipment, running surface, shoes, etc. can result in variations in times, at least to some extent. Things like weather and injury also are factors. There is no handheld aspect to it. The timing methodology, while perhaps not like the NFL or others, is consistent, and the reported times are honest. They are used for individual comparative purposes from spring to summer, and for comparisons within the team. Guys like Mariani are consistently very fast. Guys like Colt Anderson showed huge improvement over the years. Guys like Balogh worked with the strength coach on their speed after the season, and improved their times considerably (like by .2 or so) for pro day. The strength coach's program emphasizes leg strength and explosiveness. This helps with quicker starts and explosiveness. Obviously, quicker starts and better explosiveness improve 40 times. I've been told the Montana strength coach is better at this than most of services that agents send of their clients to following their senior seasons. Some of the Griz currently in the NFL would tell you that too.

Ambient conditions certainly can affect the 40 times. I watched the KPAX clips during the pro day and Colt Anderson was not only wearing sweats while running the 40, his sweat pants were falling down. Too baggy and not tied up good at the waist. xlolx