PDA

View Full Version : New Citadel Intro?

El_Cid_99
July 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Cid fans, and maybe other interested SoCon fans, there is movement afoot to establish a new team entrance at Johnson Hagood stadium.

There's a petition going around that talks about the specific changes. Basically, it involves bagpipes playing during a more somber, reverant entrance by the Corps of Cadets, followed by the cannons firing and the team running out.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lone_bagpiper/index.html

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on it. If you like the idea, please sign the petition so the administration knows that there is genuine interest out there.

For a school with so many traditions, it's like pulling teeth to get a new one established!

Millwoch
July 29th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Why a somber entrance? Can you give me an example of another school that has a reverant entrance? I personally do not know of any. I also doubt that the players want that. I can see something like a bulldog walk up Hagood avenue or a walk from campus to the stadium being somber, but once entering the field it time to get up to play.

Until we get rid of Sam Evans our game day environment will con't to have problems. He is just horrible. I know he loves his bulldogs, but my god he is annoying. If he would cut everything he says in 1/2 it might be tolerable.

I pay little attention to the pregame other than to see who wins the toss. Maybe I am different than the average fan, but I could care less if they low crawl out on the field as long as they come out ready to play and win that game.

OL FU
July 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM
First women on campus, now thisxsmhx

Whatever works guysxthumbsupx

Libertine
July 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM
For a school with so many traditions, it's like pulling teeth to get a new one established!

Isn't the idea of a "new tradition" something of an oxymoron? Especially at a place as old as The Citadel where the concept of tradition dates back beyond the Great Unpleasantness?

El_Cid_99
July 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I pay little attention to the pregame other than to see who wins the toss.

And you have just summed up the biggest problem. For a school with our history (now entering our 101'st season of football), we have a boring, nondescript entrance.

Perhaps somber was a poor choice of words. Measured is probably more applicable. The suggestion on the petition still involves the highlight video and cannons, but it adds a dramatic lead-up to it. After the bagpipes stop, cue the music, video board, and cannons.

Right now we have no 'foreplay', as someone posted on our message board. Nothing to signify to those already in the stands and those outside waiting in line that something big is about to happen.

It's the build-up to the game at places like Clemson, Auburn, South Carolina, and Virginia Tech that gets everyone fired up. Running down the hill or coming out of the tunnel is the climax.

MR. CHICKEN
July 29th, 2009, 03:42 PM
TURN UP...DUH...."HELL'S BELLS".......GET UH SMOKE MACHINE.....COME INTA DUH STADIUM.....LIKE IT'S.....UH TET OFFENSIVE.....TAKE NO PRISONERS.....C'MON CITADEL....BAGPIPES ARE FO' FUNERALS.......UH WAILIN'..."AMAZIN' GRACE"......NO WONDERAH......YA COME UP SHORT........MAY AS WELL RUN ONTA DUH FIELD...WAVIN' UH WHITE HANKY......."PLEASE TAKE IT EASY ON US.....PLEASE"!!

OL FU
July 29th, 2009, 03:43 PM
It's been 15 year since I was at a game in Charleston, What's the current entrance?

El_Cid_99
July 29th, 2009, 04:03 PM
It's been 15 year since I was at a game in Charleston, What's the current entrance?

After the Corps marches onto the field, the knobs form a 'block C' on the field while the upperclassmen make their way into the stands. The team gathers at the entrance to the field in front of the building in the endzone while the highlight video plays, and then the cannons fire off and the team goes running through the block C to the sideline.

I like the video and the block C, but there is absolutely no atmosphere or buildup to it. In short, it could just be packaged better.

elcid83
July 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I've been going to games for 30 years and it's probably why most of our alumni are in the parking lot drinking until the first kickoff. There's nothing very exciting about watching a bunch of cadets march into the football stadium. I don't know that I've caught the "Intro" to a Citadel game unless I was a cadet or I marched in during one of my five year reunions. When I had season tickets to the Gamecocks, I was always in my seat when it was time for 2001. Of course, that hasn't resulted in a very stunning football program there either. I have now confused myself with my circuitous reasoning. I really don't see bagpipes being the answer though. Bring on Metallica!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h1EW5z1wdc&feature=related

ElSissy
July 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I've been going to games for 30 years and it's probably why most of our alumni are in the parking lot drinking until the first kickoff. There's nothing very exciting about watching a bunch of cadets march into the football stadium. I don't know that I've caught the "Intro" to a Citadel game unless I was a cadet or I marched in during one of my five year reunions. When I had season tickets to the Gamecocks, I was always in my seat when it was time for 2001. Of course, that hasn't resulted in a very stunning football program there either. I have now confused myself with my circuitous reasoning. I really don't see bagpipes being the answer though. Bring on Metallica!

That's part of the problem with Citadel football, and the problem isn't on the field. Why would a Citadel graduate have season tickets to a school he didn't attend? Your place of duty is Johnson-Hagood, not Williams-Brice.

The Gadfly
July 29th, 2009, 05:46 PM
WOW . . . El Cid "99", I would like to see how the Ol' Corps men would enjoy that. NO marching cadets for their grandchildren to see? xeyebrowx Hell, y'all already shortened the march. I have been around the Citadel for 34 years and have seen it die bit by bit. But it's traditions have been dying since the mid-80's. Before then they were actually admitting men who didn't need air-conditioned barracks, nor did they have to ask if it was ok to hit you up side the head. NO "girls" were allowed. Dixie was actually the fight song. I didn't feel weird that there were rebel flags EVERYWHERE. Giving FULL respect to any man (especially black) who successfully walked out of there. Bowen's Island before/after the game. Peeing on the wall seemed a normal thing to do at a football game. Watching with anticipation at the old alumni house (after eating a BBQ sandwich) for the bagpipes to play so I could watch the cadets' parade. This isn't THE Citadel anymore. It's some generic PC pansy ass version of what the making of a Citadel man use to be. SO . . . bring your new stupid pregame crap and get rid of the marching (I'm surprised the Corps Nouveau can make it that far). The REAL Citadel died alooooooong time before you. xbawlingx

SideLine Shooter
July 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM

I was going to say that it is more fun watching the alumni stumble into the stadium.

On a serious note, I have always enjoyed attending a football game at THE CITADEL.xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

jonmac
July 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM
TURN UP...DUH...."HELL'S BELLS".......GET UH SMOKE MACHINE.....COME INTA DUH STADIUM.....LIKE IT'S.....UH TET OFFENSIVE.....TAKE NO PRISONERS.....C'MON CITADEL....BAGPIPES ARE FO' FUNERALS.......UH WAILIN'..."AMAZIN' GRACE"......NO WONDERAH......YA COME UP SHORT........MAY AS WELL RUN ONTA DUH FIELD...WAVIN' UH WHITE HANKY......."PLEASE TAKE IT EASY ON US.....PLEASE"!!

That's only in modern day America where the history of the bagpipe has been lost. The bagpipe regiment was an important part of Scottish battle groups as they called the troops to battle. The drone had to have brought a shiver to invading armies. They must have been considered pretty important as they were deemed to be weapons of war when confiscated and outlawed by Britain.

elcid83
July 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
That's part of the problem with Citadel football, and the problem isn't on the field. Why would a Citadel graduate have season tickets to a school he didn't attend? Your place of duty is Johnson-Hagood, not Williams-Brice.

That's what my Dad kept telling me, but my son wanted to watch the Gamecocks.

93henfan
July 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Why not go all in? Put a big mat in the middle of the field. Build a styrofoam mockup of Fort Sumter on top of that. Then individually fire each of the players out of a Confederate human cannon, knocking down the Fort, all while Dixie is being played?

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
You good old boys forget who won that war? You sure as hell forgot who lost it....

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Why not go all in? Put a big mat in the middle of the field. Build a styrofoam mockup of Fort Sumter on top of that. Then individually fire each of the players out of a Confederate human cannon, knocking down the Fort, all while Dixie is being played?

My schmeckle stood up reading this post.

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
WOW . . . El Cid "99", I would like to see how the Ol' Corps men would enjoy that. NO marching cadets for their grandchildren to see? xeyebrowx Hell, y'all already shortened the march. I have been around the Citadel for 34 years and have seen it die bit by bit. But it's traditions have been dying since the mid-80's. Before then they were actually admitting men who didn't need air-conditioned barracks, nor did they have to ask if it was ok to hit you up side the head. NO "girls" were allowed. Dixie was actually the fight song. I didn't feel weird that there were rebel flags EVERYWHERE. Giving FULL respect to any man (especially black) who successfully walked out of there. Bowen's Island before/after the game. Peeing on the wall seemed a normal thing to do at a football game. Watching with anticipation at the old alumni house (after eating a BBQ sandwich) for the bagpipes to play so I could watch the cadets' parade. This isn't THE Citadel anymore. It's some generic PC pansy ass version of what the making of a Citadel man use to be. SO . . . bring your new stupid pregame crap and get rid of the marching (I'm surprised the Corps Nouveau can make it that far). The REAL Citadel died alooooooong time before you. xbawlingx

I miss those days myself. "Old times they are not forgotten"

I am sometimes glad my Father didn't live to see this.

Play Dixie and all atmosphere problems at General Johnson Hagood, CSA Stadium are solved. To hell with the consequences. Ole Miss is ranked in the top 10. Doesn't seem to be hurting them any.

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Disregarding my earlier antagonistic post, I'm gonna ask a serious question to you guys, which should not be construed as antagonistic, just trying to understand your regional culture views.

What gives with being obsessed with the Civil War considering the results and considering the apparent issues that led to it? A buddy of mine went down to Ga Southern about 8 years ago, and it felt in some instances to be 1864..... rebel flags flying, distaste for northern white folk, etc.

blazrdog#1
July 29th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Land the team at mid-field using Jolly Greens blaring Highway to Hell from loudspeakers and set off some controlled explosions with massive blue/white smoke bombs !

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Disregarding my earlier antagonistic post, I'm gonna ask a serious question to you guys, which should not be construed as antagonistic, just trying to understand your regional culture views.

What gives with being obsessed with the Civil War considering the results and considering the apparent issues that led to it? A buddy of mine went down to Ga Southern about 8 years ago, and it felt in some instances to be 1864..... rebel flags flying, distaste for northern white folk, etc.

It's really quite simple. WE HATE YOU!
Your vile ancestors defile our soil with their bones to this day. We only killed 300,000 of Mr, I'll not call him President, Lincoln's invading horde of coercers and subjugators. WE WISH IT WERE THREE MILLION! If you were an educated man you would know....
"The power of the government is in the consent of the people. When any government, anywhere, becomes contrary to the tenents upon which it was founded the people have the right to cast it off"

Our ancestors were PATRIOTS and if you yankee scum would have had to endure 1/100th of the hardships they suffered you would have given up the contest. Men will endure much when fighting for their freedom. No COUNTRY ever had braver or better soldiers.

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
****dog,

I guess you're still in favor of slavery? You want to come up to Harlem to spew your crap? I'll buy you a ticket...

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
****dog,

I guess you're still in favor of slavery? You want to come up to Harlem to spew your crap? I'll buy you a ticket...

I have never been in favor of a return of the "peculiar institution".

you asked the question you long island wop greaseball guido scum I merely answered it.

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
That's only in modern day America where the history of the bagpipe has been lost. The bagpipe regiment was an important part of Scottish battle groups as they called the troops to battle. The drone had to have brought a shiver to invading armies. They must have been considered pretty important as they were deemed to be weapons of war when confiscated and outlawed by Britain.

Thanks Poindexter

Gringer1
July 29th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Well, if I might take a stab at the reasons for Dixie pride... A lot of the pride and rememberance of the Old South has to do with what happened after the war. The American South was punished and history was basically rewritten. Slavery was cited as the main reason for the war when states' rights and boundaries of federal government were the foremost issues. Most southern soldiers were actually opposed to slavery because slaves did work that people would normally be paid for. The treatment of all lovers of Dixie as ignorant racists is what makes Southerners angry. Sure, some racists abuse things like the Confederate flag and the song Dixie, but these things themselves are not racist. Dixie is a song about old time living that predates the Civil War, so therefore it cannot be racist on it's own. The men who died under the Confederate flag did not do so to uphold racial oppression, but because they believed States should hold more sway over their own affairs than the national government. I'm a Southerner and a proud lover of Dixie, but I'm glad the Union staid together. I'm a fierce American Patriot and grateful to live in the USA, I just wish (like almost all Dixie boys do) that Southern history was treated more fairly after the war. That's all we're really asking for.

MR. CHICKEN
July 29th, 2009, 10:03 PM
It's really quite simple. WE HATE YOU!
Your vile ancestors defile our soil with their bones to this day. We only killed 300,000 of Mr, I'll not call him President, Lincoln's invading horde of coercers and subjugators. WE WISH IT WERE THREE MILLION! If you were an educated man you would know....
"The power of the government is in the consent of the people. When any government, anywhere, becomes contrary to the tenents upon which it was founded the people have the right to cast it off"

Our ancestors were PATRIOTS and if you yankee scum would have had to endure 1/100th of the hardships they suffered you would have given up the contest. Men will endure much when fighting for their freedom. No COUNTRY ever had braver or better soldiers.

YA LOST DAWG-CIT......LET IT GO LAD.......CAN...DUH BAG-PIPE IDEAH.......GET YA SOME AC/DC 8 TRACKS.........DRY ICE MACHINE.......OR......MAYBE CHARGE ONTA...DUH FIELD.......SCREAMIN' LIKE PIGGIES...ON DUH WAY TA JIMMY DEAN'S.....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM
YA LOST DAWG-CIT......LET IT GO LAD.......CAN...DUH BAG-PIPE IDEAH.......GET YA SOME AC/DC 8 TRACKS.........DRY ICE MACHINE.......OR......MAYBE CHARGE ONTA...DUH FIELD.......SCREAMIN' LIKE PIGGIES...ON DUH WAY TA JIMMY DEAN'S.....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

There is still a lot of fight left in the Old South! I would prefer to have us charge onto the field with the Rebel Yell!!

aust42
July 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I like citdog

citdog
July 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I like citdog
Then do me this favor. You live in Fredrick, Maryland and there is a large Confederate Cemetary there. Take flowers or a small Confederate Flag and place there in remberance of those who gave so much for their Country.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM
You're a sad case, sh_tdog.

As your mental, cultural and spiritual superior, I forgive you.

El_Cid_99
July 30th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Well, I can see that reading comprehension isn't a strong suit for many of you.

At NO POINT did the petition advocate doing away with the march over of the Corps. It simply asked to change the timing of how they marched ON TO THE FIELD. The Corps will still march over from campus as they normally do. The petition is about establishing a 'uniquely Citadel' pregame intro.

As it stands now, blasting 'Who let the dogs out' and a lukewarm welcome video from the school president aren't cutting it. It has all the atmosphere and pageanty of a middle school recital. And it's no different than most of the schools out there.

And the term 'uniquely Citadel' applies to 2009 going forward, not how 'unique' it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc...Each one of those decades had traditions that did not carry over to the next. (Dixie, Hawaii 5-0, etc.) We're looking to establish something that will last through the next 50 years or more.

If you don't like it, don't sign it. If you support the idea of a unique entrance, sign it. It's that simple.

OL FU
July 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM

At NO POINT did the petition advocate doing away with the march over of the Corps. It simply asked to change the timing of how they marched ON TO THE FIELD. The Corps will still march over from campus as they normally do. The petition is about establishing a 'uniquely Citadel' pregame intro.

As it stands now, blasting 'Who let the dogs out' and a lukewarm welcome video from the school president aren't cutting it. It has all the atmosphere and pageanty of a middle school recital. And it's no different than most of the schools out there.

And the term 'uniquely Citadel' applies to 2009 going forward, not how 'unique' it was in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, etc...Each one of those decades had traditions that did not carry over to the next. (Dixie, Hawaii 5-0, etc.) We're looking to establish something that will last through the next 50 years or more.

If you don't like it, don't sign it. If you support the idea of a unique entrance, sign it. It's that simple.

I'll abstain do to lack of interest:pxsmiley_wix

Really, I kinda liked the lone bagpipe idea but that's just me. xnodx

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 07:19 AM
The College of Wooster (Fighting Scots) has a neat little entrance onto their field. The team marches side-by-side with the bagpipers toward the field over a little hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6C0F2AoMk

phoenixphanatic21
July 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
The College of Wooster (Fighting Scots) has a neat little entrance onto their field. The team marches side-by-side with the bagpipers toward the field over a little hill.

Ok, that's pretty B.A.

I personally like the idea of adding bagpipes to the intro for the Citadel. I will admit I have not been down to a Citadel home game to witness the current intro, but I love intros that get the team and crowd real hyped up (see South Carolina, VT, etc.). But, at the same time I can understand Citadel fans wanting to stick with tradition, since that is one of the big parts of college football. If I was given a vote, I'd go with the bagpipes.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
It's beyond bad ass. Having your team standing at the top of a hill side by side with the bagpipes has to get you charged up. They're a small school in Ohio, but if I were ever to seek out a random game to drive to one day, it'd be to see that.

There were actually better pictures and I think a video of it awhile back on the Wooster site, but I can't find it anymore. I was looking up something on Wooster football awhile ago when I came across that. Way before "We Are Marshall" came out and we were introduced to Jack Languill (sp?).

danefan
July 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
NYPD does something similar for their intro in the NYPD vs. NYFD game. The fire department and police department each have their own pipe and drum band and they have a little battle before the teams come out.

This is just the intro from this year's game at Hofstra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkI90K0SyY

c15683
July 30th, 2009, 01:05 PM
TORA ! TORA ! TORA !

Or a Kim Jong Il "red square" poster.

aust42
July 30th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Then do me this favor. You live in Fredrick, Maryland and there is a large Confederate Cemetary there. Take flowers or a small Confederate Flag and place there in remberance of those who gave so much for their Country.

Absolutely Citdog.

citdog
July 30th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Play Dixie and all problems are solved. You know it and so do I. If we no longer have the balls to do so.....we deserve what we have now.
Freaking chair force pc general running my school needs to figure out if he has a pair.

seantaylor
July 31st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Adding bagpipes at El Chit would make it even more of a homosexual school than it already is. Hard to do.

elon77
July 31st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Just don't show the picture of the VMI female cheerleader kicking butt on the Jumbotron.

BullDog85
July 31st, 2009, 09:18 AM

The song they play is called "Scotland the Brave."

From Wikipedia - "Scotland the Brave (Scottish Gaelic: Alba an Aigh) is a patriotic song and one of the main contenders to be considered as a national anthem of Scotland. In June 2006, the song came second to Flower of Scotland in an online poll with more than 10,000 votes to determine the nation's favourite unofficial "anthem".[1] The song is used to represent Scotland in the Commonwealth Games.[2]

Scotland the Brave is also the authorised pipe band march of The British Columbia Dragoons of the Canadian Forces and is played during the Pass in Review at Friday parades at The Citadel. In 2006, it was adopted as the regimental quick march of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. In the 1982 and in the 1986 FIFA World Cup, the Scottish national team used it as its anthem.[3]"

"Scotland the Brave" is ok, but I would prefer something by AC/DC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLS3BCvldqc&feature=related xwhistlex

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 09:31 AM
Thunderstruck wouldn't be a bad option either ;)

elcid83
July 31st, 2009, 09:51 AM
The song they play is called "Scotland the Brave."

From Wikipedia - "Scotland the Brave (Scottish Gaelic: Alba an Aigh) is a patriotic song and one of the main contenders to be considered as a national anthem of Scotland. In June 2006, the song came second to Flower of Scotland in an online poll with more than 10,000 votes to determine the nation's favourite unofficial "anthem".[1] The song is used to represent Scotland in the Commonwealth Games.[2]

Scotland the Brave is also the authorised pipe band march of The British Columbia Dragoons of the Canadian Forces and is played during the Pass in Review at Friday parades at The Citadel. In 2006, it was adopted as the regimental quick march of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. In the 1982 and in the 1986 FIFA World Cup, the Scottish national team used it as its anthem.[3]"

"Scotland the Brave" is ok, but I would prefer something by AC/DC - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLS3BCvldqc&feature=related xwhistlex

Nice catch 85! I wonder if "Blow, Beat & Squeeze" could pull that song off?

Go Bulldogs!

The Gadfly
July 31st, 2009, 01:02 PM
Citdawg - xthumbsupx

99 - I thoroughly apologize for coming off harsh, but I grew up with that school and decided not to go there for those reasons (plus I didn't have the $$$ to go to college till later on in life). I hope if you guys do come up with something, think of the Old Corps too and keep it classy (no more who let the dogs out). xpeacex

As for the those whose family is only 2 - 4 generations shielded under our Most Honored Constitution and who did not spill a drop of family blood on the field of battle during the War Against Northern Aggression . . . I don't expect you to understand how we feel down here. It's probably the same way a family from some other country felt when they were being bullied around by some sort of aggressor/tyrant. However, instead of fighting off the aggressors/tyrants, they decided to run away to another country and become the aggressors/tyrants. Crazy world, I know. xcoffeex

Aho_Old_Guy
July 31st, 2009, 02:28 PM
The march on to the field should be honored more as a requiem not only unique to the institution but the service in general.

I'd prefer a bagpipe (maybe even dirge-like?) version to honor our 'redneck' heritage - something akin to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdVhIbiIBC0&feature=fvw) but that would probably be too 'offensive' to some folks.

And then they would really be offended when a wide-open version of 'Dixie Land' broke out xrolleyesx and the Dawgs came rushing onto the field

I understand how some take offense. That's their right and many an American has died defending it. But for the most part I think the indignation is out of context in the 'new century'.

For some reason an ill-conceived 'perception' may be today's new 'reality' whether it has a basis in fact.

But I'm just a hillbilly redneck (http://www.geocities.com/celticchief/hillbilly.html) (with a bit of Stuart blood in me, too!) so what do I know?

BULLDOG8180
August 1st, 2009, 11:47 PM

YES, BRING DIXIE BACK!!!!

SideLine Shooter
August 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
Thunderstruck wouldn't be a bad option either ;)

That gets my vote!xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

ngineer
August 2nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Not a good idea for a 'somber' entrance...The idea is to be 'up' for the game. This is a football game, not a memorial service. There is a time and place for everything.

I know my football coach in high school told our band director to play the National Anthem before we came out of the locker room. When the team comes out all fired up, the last thing you need is to 'cool down', remove the helmets and stand there for 3 minutes.

Aho_Old_Guy
August 2nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Not a good idea for a 'somber' entrance...The idea is to be 'up' for the game. This is a football game, not a memorial service. There is a time and place for everything.

I know my football coach in high school told our band director to play the National Anthem before we came out of the locker room. When the team comes out all fired up, the last thing you need is to 'cool down', remove the helmets and stand there for 3 minutes.

The issue is twofold:

1) The march of The Citadel cadet corps onto the field; and

2) The subsequent football team entrance.

furman94
August 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM

Agreed. I love the bagpipes (Alba Go Bragh!) If used correctly, they could make for a chilling and hair raising entrance. I like the corps marching into the stadium too. Virginia Tech does this and it wasn't very boring or lacking in enthusiasm.

Bull Fan
August 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
I don't know the culture or history behind the pipes, but it is a stirring sight and sound. St. Patty's day parade here up in NY is pretty special. Funerals, at weddings, it's definitely something to watch. An old neighbor of mine (he's ex-NYC corrections officer in his 60's) plays the pipes and is part of a club / society that maintains this art. I think it's great.

Millwoch
August 3rd, 2009, 09:10 AM
I don't know the culture or history behind the pipes, but it is a stirring sight and sound. St. Patty's day parade here up in NY is pretty special. Funerals, at weddings, it's definitely something to watch. An old neighbor of mine (he's ex-NYC corrections officer in his 60's) plays the pipes and is part of a club / society that maintains this art. I think it's great.

The Citadel pipes and drum corps was started by General Mark Clark when he served as President. His fascination with the pipes started in WWII when he saw and heard the Scottish piper lead their men to battle. From the Citadel website:

"The sounds of bagpipes were first heard at The Citadel in 1955. One of the most easily recognized attractions at the college, the Pipe Band is composed of a drum major and approximately 30 to 35 pipers and drummers. Each fall, the unit recruits pipers from the entering freshman class, many of whom have never played the bagpipes

The colorful unit, led by the kilted drum major in a feather bonnet, is the leading element of the Regimental Band and Pipes. From 1956 until 1981 the bagpipers wore the Royal Stewart tartan. Since 1981, the bagpipers have worn The Citadel's own tartan, which has been duly registered in Edinburgh, Scotland. The Pipe Band is popular at dress parades and other events throughout South Carolina and the nation. The Pipe Band is a very active organization that also competes as a Grade IV band at Highland Games all over the United States"

Aho_Old_Guy
August 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
The Citadel Tartan

http://giftshop.citadel.edu/media/Clothing/90040511.JPG