PDA

View Full Version : Buzz: Fordham has a new head coach

colgate13
December 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Unconfirmed word that it is Tom Masella from Central Connecticut State (http://ccsubluedevils.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/masella_tom00.html).

Masella was the Defensive Coordinator at UMass in 2003. He's also coached at Louisiana Tech and UConn, as well as he was the head coach at BU when they dropped their program.

At CCSU, he has had back to back winning seasons and has, as we all know, upset yours truly. I think Fordham has a winner here. This is good for the PL.

Cap'n Cat
December 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
I liked it better when you called him "Buzz".

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Unconfirmed word that it is Tom Masella from Central Connecticut State (http://ccsubluedevils.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/masella_tom00.html).

Masella was the Defensive Coordinator at UMass in 2003. He's also coached at Louisiana Tech and UConn, as well as he was the head coach at BU when they dropped their program.

At CCSU, he has had back to back winning seasons and has, as we all know, upset yours truly. I think Fordham has a winner here. This is good for the PL.

Nice scoop! Masella doesn't have a bare cupboard to work with, and will add another good name coach to the Patriot League. I think Biddle, Tavani, Gilmore and Lembo have given our league a lot of respect the past few years (and also Clawson until he left for Richmond), and Masella would be another really good coach for raising the level of the Patriot League.

colgate13
December 7th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Nice scoop!

Just browsing the Fordham board and it seems pretty certain from some reliable people. They're expecting a press release soon...

I didn't see any Rams around these parts talking it up, so I thought I'd pass it on.:smiley_wi

BTW, have I ever told you how much your avatar sucks?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
ROFL... can I say how much I wish I could have posted a Lehigh footer like yours?

JoltinJoe
December 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Just browsing the Fordham board and it seems pretty certain from some reliable people. They're expecting a press release soon...

I didn't see any Rams around these parts talking it up, so I thought I'd pass it on.:smiley_wi

BTW, have I ever told you how much your avatar sucks?

The guy who posted this information on the Fordham board knows the SID there.

Umass74
December 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
If this is true, it's an excellent hire for Fordham. Masalla is a class act and will do a good job for the Rams. :hurray:

colgate13
December 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM
ROFL... can I say how much I wish I could have posted a Lehigh footer like yours?

alright, I guess we're even... But an avatar change on my part will make me feel MUCH better!

Tubby Raymond
December 7th, 2005, 02:31 PM
If this is true, it's an excellent hire for Fordham. Masalla is a class act and will do a good job for the Rams. :hurray:

Be cautious, another year like UMASS had and they will try to steal him from you :p

umassfan
December 7th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Be cautious, another year like UMASS had and they will try to steal him from you :p
He was up for the job when Brown got it.

DFW HOYA
December 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Nice scoop! Masella doesn't have a bare cupboard to work with, and will add another good name coach to the Patriot League. I think Biddle, Tavani, Gilmore and Lembo have given our league a lot of respect the past few years (and also Clawson until he left for Richmond), and Masella would be another really good coach for raising the level of the Patriot League.

Four of the six coaches? I guess Landis and Benson don't meet your standard, but neither has Gilmore.

JoltinJoe
December 7th, 2005, 06:47 PM
A competitive team at Fordham is good for the PL and good for I-AA football in general. Whenever a Fordham team makes noise, the media loves to roll out the pictures of the "Seven Blocks of Granite" and tell the story about the Rams' storied tradition.

Like I said, that's good for the PL and good for I-AA football. As a Rams' fan, there is nothing more disappointing to recall how sweet our run was three years ago -- and how fast it dissipated.

P.S. -- WFUV has announced that is covering the "Masella" press conference at 12:30 p.m. tomorrow. This is according to a post made by WFUV's program director on the Fordham football board.

That would pretty much confirm this.

colgate13
December 7th, 2005, 06:53 PM
I'll agree with you DFW - Gilmore hasn't done anything yet to deserve mention with Lembo, Tavani and Biddle. I think LFN gives him a bit more credit because he was at Lehigh and the Saders beat the Engine Hawks this year...

That said, I don't think the's a bad one, and I think he'll be good down the stretch. Landis has to prove himself next year. He'll get a one season pass with all of those injuries, but if he has another season like that, he could be on the outs...

We've had our Benson disagreements, so no sense in bringing them up here; but all in all, we have some good coaches in this league, not just at the head coach level either. We should all be proud... let's also not forget they somehow coach at this level AND get their kids to graduate! Let's see a BCS bowl team brag about that!

colgate13
December 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Looks to be more than buzz. From the Fordham site:

Tomorrow's press conference announcing the appointment of Coach Masella will be broadcast on the internet only on WFUV.org at 12:30. Shortly after conclusion the press conference will be archived.

To listen, click on the press conference link in the program schedule on the home page...or click on the Ram on the right side of the home page and then click on the appropriate link...or you can go to www.broadcastmonsters.com and click on the appropriate link

so if you're dying to hear this one, you can tune in...

ngineer
December 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Congrats Rams! Looks like a good move, and now, again, we have to be leary of the 'wall' ...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I'll agree with you DFW - Gilmore hasn't done anything yet to deserve mention with Lembo, Tavani and Biddle. I think LFN gives him a bit more credit because he was at Lehigh and the Saders beat the Engine Hawks this year...

Some truth to that, but Gilmore also took a team that was in the doldrums, played a brutal schedule and gave them a winning record. Anyone who thought HC could have a winning record in August thought it was nigh-impossible, and Gilmore turned around and did it. Had Silva not been injured, they may very well may have given you a run too for the PL title.

My original post praising everyone but Landis and Benson wasn't really meant as a slight of Benson. Benson has gotten some good athletes at Georgetown and has built them from the ground up, and done a great job - he just doesn't have a national profile or a non-Patriot League upset to point to. Landis is an OK coach, but the last two years that I've looked at his recruiting, I've just shook my head. Plus, I have my doubts that the triple-option can work in the Patriot League with the type of athletes we get.

Overall... Patriot League.... good! :beerchug:

colgate13
December 7th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Some truth to that, but Gilmore also took a team that was in the doldrums, played a brutal schedule and gave them a winning record. Anyone who thought HC could have a winning record in August thought it was nigh-impossible, and Gilmore turned around and did it. Had Silva not been injured, they may very well may have given you a run too for the PL title.

My original post praising everyone but Landis and Benson wasn't really meant as a slight of Benson. Benson has gotten some good athletes at Georgetown and has built them from the ground up, and done a great job - he just doesn't have a national profile or a non-Patriot League upset to point to. Landis is an OK coach, but the last two years that I've looked at his recruiting, I've just shook my head. Plus, I have my doubts that the triple-option can work in the Patriot League with the type of athletes we get.

Overall... Patriot League.... good! :beerchug:

Gilmore: jury is still out. Going 6-5 was a great accomplishment no doubt... but one made with another coach's seniors, not to mention they only had one win against a team with a winning record. The Colgate, Fordham, Lafayette stretch at the end of the year really told me they have some more work to do. If they can put together another winning season, we can start talking IMO. But the Saders got to find some stars to take over for Silva, O'Neil, etc. really fast, or they are back to below .500 again.

Benson: he's made his name pre-PL. I don't mean to dig this up everytime we talk about G'Town, but if he's gotten a repreive this year, I have to imagine there are some very specific goals being laid before him by the AD. If not, then heck, the Hoyas aren't frankly serious about winning. The transition to the PL is over. They are expected to be here.

Landis: I agree on the recruiting angle. Wasn't there some outrageous number of PA kids on his class this year? And he wants to run an option? He will need some speed, speed, speed for that to be effective in this league. Much like G'Town, I don't see it. Sure, there can be some great individual games, but I don't think an option team can win the league. Which is actually a good question: has it ever been done????

Pard4Life
December 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Congrats Fordham fans. This sounds like an exciting coach and can't wait to see a revived Fordham team on the field. Traveling to Rose Hill for a Lafayette game is one of my favorite trips. Let's hope the new guy can get some of that excitement back on the field and in the locker room that the fans have said is sorely lacking.

JoltinJoe
December 8th, 2005, 06:16 AM
The New York Times article on the Masella hiring:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/08/sports/ncaafootball/08fordham.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134043845-Utk48ajftMGQqAxImJai8A

I'm looking forward to it," Masella said last night in an interview from his office at Central Connecticut. "There are certain places that are great places to coach, and Fordham is one of them. It has everything you look for: a great tradition and academics. And it's in a city I love."

colgate13
December 8th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Sounds like Masella will be able to put out any 'fires' that might come to visit Rose Hill! And did anyone else hear Sinatra singing "New York" when reading that? xlolx

Congrats Rams. Back to work!

Go...gate
December 8th, 2005, 02:58 PM
A great move by Fordham. :)