PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook 2009 Forecast

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 05:01 AM
So now that most of the pre-season polls and forecasts are out, I figure it's time to start discussing SBU a bit formally. I'll go out on a limb and propose what happens in our season. Team has improved quite a bit, losing only a few WRs and with an improved QB and larger lines. We'll be deeper and better, though a year or two away from contending anywhere outside the conference (that means we're right on schedule!).

Stony Brook @ Hofstra - Hofstra continues to dominate the rivalry, and despite a late Stony Brook push, the Pride hold off the Seawolves by a touchdown. I don't expect a big score gap like last year, more like the 2007 score difference (two FGs if I remember right?) SBU 0-1

Stony Brook @ Colgate - The Seawolves take out their Hofstra-related frustration on Colgate, and like last year shred the Colgate lines and take a whopping 3 touchdown lead before halftime (deja vu?). Colgate might try to close but this one will be long over. If Coulter takes the starting QB job expect to see Dudash get a few reps here. SBU 1-1

Stony Brook vs. Brown - This one surprised me last year, but I don't believe Brown has the ability to take this game twice in a row. I don't have much info about the Bears this year, but the my guess will be they lost more than we did last offseason (we didn't lose much), and an experienced SBU team on its home opener should just be too much. We take it by at least a field goal. SBU 2-1

Stony Brook @ U Mass - U Mass has always been trouble for SBU. In lacrosse and most other ball sports we've had our asses handed to us. I think the simple intimidation of being in a packed, hostile stadium in Amherst makes any matchup worthless. We get trumped, fair and simple. SBU 2-2

Stony Brook vs. Presbyterian (Homecoming) - SBU loves its Homecoming games. The oversold stadium, alumni beer tent, ravenous fans, and a pretty competent athletic band...This does not bode will for the Blue Hose's confidence. Add in that we're a fully developed scholarship program while they're still in transition: this one's over very early. SBU 3-2

Stony Brook @ North Dakota - This one's quite interesting. On the one hand, we'll be quite jetlagged given the new financial cutbacks that make flights a bit closer to game time than usual. However, I've only read that UND is on the downturn this season. However, the central answer is about SBU, not UND. We're a strong running team with a vet O-line, and our defense will be significantly better, faster, and stronger. I don't see this one as a loss for Stony Brook, though probably not by nearly the gaps proposed. SBU 4-2

Stony Brook @ VMI - Potential upset for VMI. SBU has a masssivee road schedule, and those get tiring quickly. The biggest weakness in SBU's schedule is no multi-week homestand. However, I believe the team will be quite energized by its recent wins and keep pushing forward. SBU takes this one by more than a touch down. SBU 5-2

Stony Brook vs. Coastal Carolina - Battle of records here. I don't really know what direction to go in. It's a homegame though, and in cases of push I'll toss it to the home team. Can definitely go Coastal's way, however. SBU 6-2

Stony Brook @ Gardner Webb - Stony Brook will likely lose one of the next three games. Personally, given our tendency to fold against teams on a hot streak, I think this one is the one we lose. However, if G-Webb fails to pan out like its fans have touted it, we take this one by that annoyingly small point gap. I'll pan the loss here. SBU 6-3

Stony Brook @ Charleston Southern - From what I hear about Chuck South...Barring miraculous measures by the boys from the South SBU would have to overlook this game to lose it. Young teams with drives can be dangerous, but I don't think this one will be. SBU 7-3

Stony Brook vs. Liberty - This matchup has been touted the conference championship not just by fans of the two teams alone. I have no idea where this one will go, though I believe Liberty is the more experienced of the two programs. Thus, if it is anywhere near as strong as many fans say it is. Liberty takes the game, and most likely the conference. Final SBU 7-4

Thoughts?

Dane96
July 28th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Oversold stadium??? UMASS packed stadium? Interesting...never knew that SBU was such a hot ticket.

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Oversold stadium??? UMASS packed stadium? Interesting...never knew that SBU was such a hot ticket.

I was under the impression U Mass was one of the top ticket sellers in FCS? Might be very wrong about that

Dane96
July 28th, 2009, 06:53 AM
They made a very solid switch last year (vs. Albany) to moving games when students are around...but dont know this years schedule.

I have watched PLENTY of games that were not even remotely close to 3/4 capacity.

Umass74
July 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
UMass was third in the CAA in attendance in 2008.

With the new stadium lights, afternoon and evening games have been very well attended.

McGuirk seats 17,000. The first three games in 2008 attendance was:

Albany 15,112
Delaware 16,422
Richmond 15,953

This year's Stony Brook game is at 6:00 pm. If the weather is good, there should be around 15,000 to watch the game.

darell1976
July 28th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Not only will Stony Brook be jetlagged, they will be in North Dakota's Potato Bowl which up here is a big deal, a pep rally with a big french fry feed early in the week then a parade Saturday morning followed by the big game so if they can get past UND's sold out (and loud) crowd then they may have a shot of winning but I see UND beating Stony Brook. I hope to attend that game.:)

elcid83
July 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Redwyn, That looks like a good, honest summary to me. I confess to being a true kool-aid drinking homer and I always predict an undefeated season. I disagree with your assessment that Liberty is more experienced. They may have better talent, but they lost a lot starters to graduation last year. They may be able to simply reload and move on, but they are going to have to convince me. I have a feeling the GW - SB game is going to be pretty important. I hope to see you in Boiling Springs.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Libertine
July 28th, 2009, 09:35 AM
You can't overlook the trip to CSU. Buccaneer Field isn't exactly a hostile environment but it's a tough place to play, especially if you haven't been there before. Jay Mills' teams also tend to go on win streaks late in the year and, in the last 5 seasons, are 5-0 in the week before Senior Day.

kdinva
July 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
A VMI win over SBU in Lex. will not be an upsetxsmhx........a nine-hour bus ride following your trip to N. Dakota will be tough. In 2008, VMI played their 3rd worse game of the season (after UR and W&M) on Long Island; lost by only 14.

kdinva
July 28th, 2009, 12:56 PM
You can't overlook the trip to CSU. Buccaneer Field isn't exactly a hostile environment but it's a tough place to play......

I second that (embarrasingly:().

SUUTbird
July 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I agree that North Dakota is a hard venue to play at but we still won!!! And also VMI i think could take the Big South because military discipline+Triple Option= AWSOME!! Watch out for the Keydets

Bull Fan
July 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
5-6. Coastal and UND beat you. And watch out for PC... I'm not sold on anyone in a beer tent affecting the outcome of a game. I'm not sold on your statement of being more advanced as a scholly program helping you.

I've watched the last few years, and while you have a few decent players, you have some boners who think they're much better than they really are. Additionally, Priore still has his work cut out for him with the mental errors that take place on the field (I locate Chucky on the sidelines as the offense comes off the field, and wait for him to loose his cool, which he often does...)

Uncle Buck
July 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I agree, an honest set of predictions with nothing over the top. Tough turn around Dakota/VMI, but i like Priore, he will have them ready.

UND92,96
July 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'll be the first to admit that dII success doesn't automatically translate into FCS success, but FWIW UND currrently has a 22-game home winning streak vs. non-conference opponents, which includes numerous playoff wins against some elite dII programs such as Grand Valley State, North Alabama and Pitt State. I think that UND may be a bit down this year on offense, but in my admittedly biased opinion, UND will pull this one out.

Hoseinexile07
July 28th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Riiiiight, because a beer tent will be that 12th man for y'all. xeyebrowx

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Riiiiight, because a beer tent will be that 12th man for y'all. xeyebrowx

Well, not exactly. However, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that SBU needed SOME incentive to get fans at its football games. Ken LaValle Stadium gets LOUD when it has a full crowd due to its position below sea level (in essence, the sound gets trapped on the field). Thus, over 8 thousand fans - many of whom have a healthy buzz - is a pretty effective 12th man.

Add in the fact that it's quite rare for a big home crowd to show up to a game, SBU plays its absolute best at homecoming. It's where we snapped a massive losing streak last year against Chuck South, took down Maine in double overtime, shut down Albany to tie for the conference championship in 2005, and it's the one time of year where SBU is confident of a win.

Do we win every time? Hell no, I was there when Robert Moses embarrassed us and Georgetown got a field goal with 15 seconds left. BUT, if I was a betting man I'd bet SBU every homecoming.

Thundar
July 28th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Not only will Stony Brook be jetlagged, they will be in North Dakota's Potato Bowl which up here is a big deal, a pep rally with a big french fry feed early in the week then a parade Saturday morning followed by the big game so if they can get past UND's sold out (and loud) crowd then they may have a shot of winning but I see UND beating Stony Brook. I hope to attend that game.:)

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

your not serious are you???

BisonNDSU
July 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

your not serious are you???

i was thinking the same thing haha. maybe a crowd of 7,000 tops.

p.s. i was at the SUU game last year after hunting. wow it wasnt even half full.

I WORE RED AND BLACK

----UND WILL beat Stony Brook though------

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Any reason in particular? Don't know much about UND outside of smack, so would appreciate some insight into the game.

Bull Fan
July 28th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well, not exactly. However, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that SBU needed SOME incentive to get fans at its football games. Ken LaValle Stadium gets LOUD when it has a full crowd due to its position below sea level (in essence, the sound gets trapped on the field). Thus, over 8 thousand fans - many of whom have a healthy buzz - is a pretty effective 12th man.

Add in the fact that it's quite rare for a big home crowd to show up to a game, SBU plays its absolute best at homecoming. It's where we snapped a massive losing streak last year against Chuck South, took down Maine in double overtime, shut down Albany to tie for the conference championship in 2005, and it's the one time of year where SBU is confident of a win.

Do we win every time? Hell no, I was there when Robert Moses embarrassed us and Georgetown got a field goal with 15 seconds left. BUT, if I was a betting man I'd bet SBU every homecoming.

Uhh.....Ummm... I don't think you'll have that many buzzed fans. USB draws mostly family environment, and the students that get loud are in the endzone, and are not that loud during a game. Not that "wow, we can't hear ourselves think" loud on a field dug into the bowl of the stadium (below sea level?!?!)... The drunken nerds from LI aren't the kind of college football fans that rattle teams. Sorry, seen enough of your games to pooh-pooh your assessment of that "wild and crazy" atmosphere xcoffeex

While it's kinda cute to see the attempt, 200 students in the endzone is hardly going to be confused with any Penn State white out or the night crowd at LSU.

g-webb1994
July 28th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Good analysis Redwyn. Stony Brook is G-W's homecoming opponent, and G-W has a pretty good homecoming record dating back to the early 90's. The warning given you about Charleston Southern is accurate...the girls are pretty, but their stadium is a hellhole.

Bull Fan
July 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Any reason in particular? Don't know much about UND outside of smack, so would appreciate some insight into the game.

Goes like this: they're better than you. Even in a "down" year. I know I'm not pointing out anything further than smack, but they've got somewhat of a better track record recently against competition that while still at D-II, I'd put ahead of Stony Brook. I'm not hating Stony Brook, but you've got to build better credibility over some time to get some prognostication that swings your way. At least from my corner. I think 5-6 (or best, 6-5) is realistic for you guys this year. And that's with a fully healthy squad.

Seawolf97
July 28th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Uhh.....Ummm... I don't think you'll have that many buzzed fans. USB draws mostly family environment, and the students that get loud are in the endzone, and are not that loud during a game. Not that "wow, we can't hear ourselves think" loud on a field dug into the bowl of the stadium (below sea level?!?!)... The drunken nerds from LI aren't the kind of college football fans that rattle teams. Sorry, seen enough of your games to pooh-pooh your assessment of that "wild and crazy" atmosphere xcoffeex

While it's kinda cute to see the attempt, 200 students in the endzone is hardly going to be confused with any Penn State white out or the night crowd at LSU.

If we were Penn St. or LSU or even Tulsa I wouldnt worry about this schedule. It is all growing pains but 7-4 is possible.xpeacex

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM

Oh come now, comparing us to schools over double our size isn't fair, even when we still have over 20K students. And that's our crew team in the endzone (I was the S one year), so admins didn't put us up to it xsmiley_wix. The stadium is actually below sea level, and it's a very common tactic for football fields, as it allows fans in the lower rows to still get a good panoramic view of the game. The sound is an added perk. Another example of this is "The Swamp" for Louisiana - Lafayette or the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium http://blog.stadiumhunt.com/?cat=11

That being said, I agree, the game is far more family oriented than many others. Discussions with alumni and athletics officials revealed that there was a massive public backlash during the stadium's construction. Town and gown friction in Stony Brook has grown significantly in recent decades so this makes sense. The noise permits were and are a massive hassle, so the school makes nice to the community to attempt to secure goodwill for the odd concert and such. To think SBU used to host the likes of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin a few decades back......

As far as student participation, I have good reason to believe this will only increase. The demographic of accepted students has changed drastically over the past 3 years. We've broadened from an engineering/nat sciences university into the liberal arts (the new Journalism school embodied that change). With this change comes a big difference in the prototypical accepted student. I see us continuing this change and within the next decade transforming into a Penn State style school (though clearly not as big).

Bull Fan
July 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think the atmosphere at SBU is somewhat refreshing compared to Hofstra, which is like player family and friend night. SBU attracts a good deal of the local community- average Joe's bringing their wife and kids to the game. Good stuff, and considering the interest in college football on LI, it's actually impressive. I don't expect feverish crowds around these parts, it's just not the same as down south.

Alright, I'm not gonna hijack this thread any longer ;) I'd like to see SBU become a factor of a program, I just don't see it happening until they get into a re-jigged conference featuring HU, Albany and schools that have established themselves at the I-AA level.

As for the sea level factor, I'm getting nit-picky and I'm not buying... show me some proof. Yes, it is below it's surrounding ground level, but question whether it's below sea level....

Dane96
July 28th, 2009, 09:51 PM
The "SWAMP" is in Gainsville...not Louisiana...as LSU plays in "Death Valley", and it is not below sea level...and neither is "THE SWAMP."

"THE SWAMP" was originally built below "GROUND LEVEL"...not SEA LEVEL. Gainsville is actually on a mini-hill...and the stadium was built around 50 feet into the ground. Elevation around the stadium is about 130 feet....the elevation of Gainsville about 180 feet. The digging into the ground is done for cost reasons...not panaromic reasons. Between Doak Campbell and Ben Hill...I have probably been to 40 games in those stadiums (cousins played at each).

Now, to get into the SUNY pissing contest-- you are not becoming a Penn State any time soon. UB 2020, which Lavalle co-sponsored got knocked down and Zimpher does not support naming ANY of the schools a flagship. All four SUNY Centers plus UPSTATE and DOWNSTATE Medical will be under the same umbrella.

The newest bill to come out is supported by SUNY CENTRAL and givest the 6 schools the same freedom that UB 2020 offered (and SBU would have gotten under Pataki's rule). That ship has sailed...and the SUNY Centers, if the latest bill passes, are still joined at the hip in the sense they are all free to grow at their own pace and finances.

Seawolf97
July 28th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think the atmosphere at SBU is somewhat refreshing compared to Hofstra, which is like player family and friend night. SBU attracts a good deal of the local community- average Joe's bringing their wife and kids to the game. Good stuff, and considering the interest in college football on LI, it's actually impressive. I don't expect feverish crowds around these parts, it's just not the same as down south.

Alright, I'm not gonna hijack this thread any longer ;) I'd like to see SBU become a factor of a program, I just don't see it happening until they get into a re-jigged conference featuring HU, Albany and schools that have established themselves at the I-AA level.

As for the sea level factor, I'm getting nit-picky and I'm not buying... show me some proof. Yes, it is below it's surrounding ground level, but question whether it's below sea level....

You never hi jack a thread. I appreciate your insight. Love to see that new conference as would Albany but we know how that story goes. The only time our field was below sea level was last year during the Elon game. xpeacex

Dane96
July 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
LOL....was that during a storm or something?

UND92,96
July 28th, 2009, 10:27 PM

p.s. i was at the SUU game last year after hunting. wow it wasnt even half full.

I WORE RED AND BLACK

Not sure why you would say that. UND attendance doesn't suffer until deer hunting season, which is what really hurt the SUU game last year. The Stony Brook game will draw well--probably not a sell out, but something in excess of 10,500.

BisonNDSU
July 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM

UND plays extremely tough in the Alerus Center (tin shed) xsmiley_wix

kirkblitz
July 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
So now that most of the pre-season polls and forecasts are out, I figure it's time to start discussing SBU a bit formally. I'll go out on a limb and propose what happens in our season. Team has improved quite a bit, losing only a few WRs and with an improved QB and larger lines. We'll be deeper and better, though a year or two away from contending anywhere outside the conference (that means we're right on schedule!).

Stony Brook @ Hofstra - Hofstra continues to dominate the rivalry, and despite a late Stony Brook push, the Pride hold off the Seawolves by a touchdown. I don't expect a big score gap like last year, more like the 2007 score difference (two FGs if I remember right?) SBU 0-1

Stony Brook @ Colgate - The Seawolves take out their Hofstra-related frustration on Colgate, and like last year shred the Colgate lines and take a whopping 3 touchdown lead before halftime (deja vu?). Colgate might try to close but this one will be long over. If Coulter takes the starting QB job expect to see Dudash get a few reps here. SBU 1-1

Stony Brook vs. Brown - This one surprised me last year, but I don't believe Brown has the ability to take this game twice in a row. I don't have much info about the Bears this year, but the my guess will be they lost more than we did last offseason (we didn't lose much), and an experienced SBU team on its home opener should just be too much. We take it by at least a field goal. SBU 2-1

Stony Brook @ U Mass - U Mass has always been trouble for SBU. In lacrosse and most other ball sports we've had our asses handed to us. I think the simple intimidation of being in a packed, hostile stadium in Amherst makes any matchup worthless. We get trumped, fair and simple. SBU 2-2

Stony Brook vs. Presbyterian (Homecoming) - SBU loves its Homecoming games. The oversold stadium, alumni beer tent, ravenous fans, and a pretty competent athletic band...This does not bode will for the Blue Hose's confidence. Add in that we're a fully developed scholarship program while they're still in transition: this one's over very early. SBU 3-2

Stony Brook @ North Dakota - This one's quite interesting. On the one hand, we'll be quite jetlagged given the new financial cutbacks that make flights a bit closer to game time than usual. However, I've only read that UND is on the downturn this season. However, the central answer is about SBU, not UND. We're a strong running team with a vet O-line, and our defense will be significantly better, faster, and stronger. I don't see this one as a loss for Stony Brook, though probably not by nearly the gaps proposed. SBU 4-2

Stony Brook @ VMI - Potential upset for VMI. SBU has a masssivee road schedule, and those get tiring quickly. The biggest weakness in SBU's schedule is no multi-week homestand. However, I believe the team will be quite energized by its recent wins and keep pushing forward. SBU takes this one by more than a touch down. SBU 5-2

Stony Brook vs. Coastal Carolina - Battle of records here. I don't really know what direction to go in. It's a homegame though, and in cases of push I'll toss it to the home team. Can definitely go Coastal's way, however. SBU 6-2

Stony Brook @ Gardner Webb - Stony Brook will likely lose one of the next three games. Personally, given our tendency to fold against teams on a hot streak, I think this one is the one we lose. However, if G-Webb fails to pan out like its fans have touted it, we take this one by that annoyingly small point gap. I'll pan the loss here. SBU 6-3

Stony Brook @ Charleston Southern - From what I hear about Chuck South...Barring miraculous measures by the boys from the South SBU would have to overlook this game to lose it. Young teams with drives can be dangerous, but I don't think this one will be. SBU 7-3

Stony Brook vs. Liberty - This matchup has been touted the conference championship not just by fans of the two teams alone. I have no idea where this one will go, though I believe Liberty is the more experienced of the two programs. Thus, if it is anywhere near as strong as many fans say it is. Liberty takes the game, and most likely the conference. Final SBU 7-4

Thoughts?

i think you win them all except the ccu game

Redwyn
July 29th, 2009, 04:14 AM

It's a marginal issue, but maybe this helps? From the school newspaper when the stadium first opened:

" To address the local community’s concern regarding noise on game day, Dattner, in conjunction with the University, employed a bowled design, which has a playing surface that is 17 feet below sea-level. This is indented to keep most of the sound inside the reinforced concrete walls.

Bowled stadiums have been known to retain a lot of crowd noise and, therefore, get very loud when seated to capacity. Indeed, that is exactly the type of home field advantage that everyone in the athletic department is hoping for. "

http://media.www.sbstatesman.com/media/storage/paper955/news/2002/09/16/Sports/Seawolves.Stadium.Debut.Draws.Sellout.Crowd-1995979.shtml

And regarding my Penn State comment. I'll clarify. I don't see SBU becoming the institution that Penn State is. As a former Pittsburgh resident I know the State of Pennsylvania does things very differently. However, the curriculum that Penn State encompasses is a goal SBU has had for a long time. Penn State used to be a one trick pony as well, and has since evolved into a multi-focused school. Forces at SBU see that as a model to look at. As for the whole flagship thing, that was a funding ploy at best and a horrible descriptive term at worst. NY demographically cannot do what Pennsylvania did. The state's too different at each end.

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Mentioning Penn State, LSU, et al... only for loud students at games. Don't read it any other way, i.e., flag ship status, etc. You're going down another street.

Beside, if you've ever seen the investment and curriculum at UB, you'd understand they're the flagship university, and not the others. Again, a different thread and discussion.

Dane96
July 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Actually, as a former Chief of Staff of a member of the Higher Education Committee of the Assembly in New York State, I can categorically say you are wrong.

UB says they are a flagship, yet the law and SUNY Central does not concur. Oh yeah, I actually signed at Buffalo and transferred to Albany after a week...so I am pretty familiar with the sales pitch and the school.

Dane96
July 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Are you the same guy who posts incessently on the UA board enough times in an effort to prove your point...which of couse has been disproven lord knows how many times?!

Redwyn
July 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Mentioning Penn State, LSU, et al... only for loud students at games. Don't read it any other way, i.e., flag ship status, etc. You're going down another street.

Beside, if you've ever seen the investment and curriculum at UB, you'd understand they're the flagship university, and not the others. Again, a different thread and discussion.

You're absolutely right. That could take up 300 posts alone. Best to simply concede that it is where it is for a reason, and that neither adds or subtracts from any other SUNY.

darell1976
July 29th, 2009, 09:23 AM

I WORE RED AND BLACK

1. Stony Brook will be UND's second home game
2. We had over 11,000 against Texas A&M-Kingsville a meaningless game vs a D2 opponent. Stony Brook will be UND's first FCS non-conf. home game.
3. The game is Oct. 10th. Our game last year to W. Washington on Oct. 18th....12,164....Where is this 7,000?
4. Nov. 18th vs SUU 7840. This year Nov 7th vs Southern Oregon (UND's last home game...this game may suffer. Typical Bison fans.

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Actually, as a former Chief of Staff of a member of the Higher Education Committee of the Assembly in New York State, I can categorically say you are wrong.

UB says they are a flagship, yet the law and SUNY Central does not concur. Oh yeah, I actually signed at Buffalo and transferred to Albany after a week...so I am pretty familiar with the sales pitch and the school.

Wonderful, another political hack throwing his credentials around. FWIW, I don't waste my time on any of the Albany board(s). Categorically speaking, UB is the 'unofficial' official flagship. Go file a lawsuit trying to strike down our contention of being the flagship, and you'll see how many people look at you and your fellow whiners like an idiot xlolx xbawlingx xsmhx

Dane96
July 29th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Ok...A) I am not a hack...b) I am not in politics anymore and C)I AM THE UNOFFICIAL KING OF THE WORLD--

Does C mean anything? Heck no. Just because you say it doesnt mean it is! There wouldnt be a lawsuit striking down the flagship title because ALL FOUR SUNY CENTERS and the TWO MEDICAL SCHOOLS ARE CONSIDERED ONE AND OF THE SAME: THE UNOFFICIAL FLAGSHIPS.

Pay attention to what has been going on...most significantly the not-so-shocking denial of the UB2020 Bill and the introduction of the SUNY INNOVATION BILL to include all four centers. Golisano 'aint buying you guys everything.

Most importantly, if you had paid more attention to reading than speaking you would notice this: "UB is A flagship instutition in the State University of New York system." Now, I know you may miss it...but UB lawyers did not. Stating "UB is the flagship institution in the State University of New York system" would be false advertising and a detrimiental interference to the other "a flagship" institutions.

THE and A are two different things, as the latter promotes the idea of MULTIPLE SCHOOLS.

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
You're bent on paying too much attention to the "The" vs. "A", and I'd be willing to poll any, ANY prospective SUNY student on that. Perhaps you're just a bitter joe from Albany who suffers the little brother syndrome? Good law school, yes. But overall, that university is not nearly renowned as UB.

And athletically, UB is far ahead of Albany. Will UB win a BCS title anytime soon? Nope. But Albany is still trying to make a regional (forget about national) name for itself. Hoops- pretty much the same. Like UB, never gonna win a final four, but we're still more visible than Albany.

You're sounding very lawyer-like in your resentment. This could get ugly...

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
The "SWAMP" is in Gainsville...not Louisiana...as LSU plays in "Death Valley", and it is not below sea level...and neither is "THE SWAMP."

Actually, i believe the U of Louisiana at Lafayette, aka the Rajin' Cajuns do play in a field below sea level called the swamp. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

https://admin.xosn.com/pics17/400/HF/HFFARNKAPZUQUYP.20080711171023.jpg

Go...gate
July 29th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Your game against Colgate will be our second game, at our place. We tend to be pretty bad in openers and better in second games. It may be a bit closer than you think.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Your game against Colgate will be our second game, at our place. We tend to be pretty bad in openers and better in second games. It may be a bit closer than you think.

That's the truth for last year, you guys looked terrible. I know you were without two key kids, but man, your defense and o-line was abysmal. I'm sure the team will be looking for a bit of revenge against SBU.

Dane96
July 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Actually, i believe the U of Louisiana at Lafayette, aka the Rajin' Cajuns do play in a field below sea level called the swamp. I've seen it with my own two eyes.

https://admin.xosn.com/pics17/400/HF/HFFARNKAPZUQUYP.20080711171023.jpg

Ahh...my bad-- who would have thunk we were talkn' 'bout the Rajin Cajuns!

Redwyn
July 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
You're bent on paying too much attention to the "The" vs. "A", and I'd be willing to poll any, ANY prospective SUNY student on that. Perhaps you're just a bitter joe from Albany who suffers the little brother syndrome? Good law school, yes. But overall, that university is not nearly renowned as UB.

And athletically, UB is far ahead of Albany. Will UB win a BCS title anytime soon? Nope. But Albany is still trying to make a regional (forget about national) name for itself. Hoops- pretty much the same. Like UB, never gonna win a final four, but we're still more visible than Albany.

You're sounding very lawyer-like in your resentment. This could get ugly...

I was trying to be nice and ask that this get put away. This is a football board, not a little guy measuring board. Let me end this with a few ranking stats, shall I? Remember, this is only between SBU, Buffalo, Binghamton, and Albany.

London Times Rankings: World University Rankings Based mostly on research achievements
SBU: 127
Buffalo: Not Ranked
Binghamton: Not Ranked
Albany: Not Ranked

Shanghai Higher Education Supplement: Based on academic performance
SBU: 152-200 range
Buffalo: 201-302 range
Albany: 201-302 range
Binghamton: Didn't make the list

US News Rankings: Known for reputation influenced rankings
Binghamton - 77
SBU - 96
Buffalo - 121
Albany - Tier 3

Medical School Ranking:
SBU - Primary Care: 45 (ties with Duke and beats out Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, and Cornell)
Research: 56
Buffalo - Primary Care: Didn't make the list
Research: 59
Albany - Didn't make the list in either, though if I remember Albany College is independent of U Albany. I have a relative that went there.
Binghamton - No Med School

Athletic Budget Expenditure
SBU - ~21.3 Million (ranked 104)
Buffalo - ~19 Million (ranked 113)
Albany - ~13.2 Million (ranked 171)
Binghamton - ~12.1 Million (ranked 189)

But seriously, why is this a massive issue? All four schools have strong points, all four schools have weak points. Fact is the SUNY system might be older but is still very immature compared to other states. Best to embrace our counterparts rather than hate them. Can we please stop this?

danefan
July 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I was trying to be nice and ask that this get put away. This is a football board, not a little guy measuring board. Let me end this with a few ranking stats, shall I? Remember, this is only between SBU, Buffalo, Binghamton, and Albany.

London Times Rankings: World University Rankings Based mostly on research achievements
SBU: 127
Buffalo: Not Ranked
Binghamton: Not Ranked
Albany: Not Ranked

Shanghai Higher Education Supplement: Based on academic performance
SBU: 152-200 range
Buffalo: 201-302 range
Albany: 201-302 range
Binghamton: Didn't make the list

US News Rankings: Known for reputation influenced rankings
Binghamton - 77
SBU - 96
Buffalo - 121
Albany - Tier 3

Medical School Ranking:
SBU - Primary Care: 45 (ties with Duke and beats out Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, and Cornell)
Research: 56
Buffalo - Primary Care: Didn't make the list
Research: 59
Albany - Didn't make the list in either, though if I remember Albany College is independent of U Albany. I have a relative that went there.
Binghamton - No Med School

Athletic Budget Expenditure
SBU - ~21.3 Million (ranked 104)
Buffalo - ~19 Million (ranked 113)
Albany - ~13.2 Million (ranked 171)
Binghamton - ~12.1 Million (ranked 189)

But seriously, why is this a massive issue? All four schools have strong points, all four schools have weak points. Fact is the SUNY system might be older but is still very immature compared to other states. Best to embrace our counterparts rather than hate them. Can we please stop this?

xbowxxlolxxlolxxlolx

The UB guys have a serious issue with other SUNY Centers. I too never understood it. They don't understand that SUNY will never be like other systems. Its not set up to be. For better or worse the Big Six are stuck together and will move forward together or will stay put together.

Getting back on the football subject, why UB fans wouldn't want Albany and SBU to get ahead in football is beyond me too. It would be great for rivalries and could really step up the football awareness in the state.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ahh...my bad-- who would have thunk we were talkn' 'bout the Rajin Cajuns!

I just love the name.

Redwyn
July 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
xbowxxlolxxlolxxlolx

The UB guys have a serious issue with other SUNY Centers. I too never understood it. They don't understand that SUNY will never be like other systems. Its not set up to be. For better or worse the Big Six are stuck together and will move forward together or will stay put together.

Getting back on the football subject, why UB fans wouldn't want Albany and SBU to get ahead in football is beyond me too. It would be great for rivalries and could really step up the football awareness in the state.

Amen to that. I could really see a SUNY/Mid-Atlantic dominated MAC becoming a competitive conference. Perhaps that's not too far off if Buffalo keeps turning its head to check on us ;)

elcid83
July 29th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Why is a Buffalo Bull fan posting on this board anyway. I thought they were out of the FCS. Did I miss something?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Dane96
July 29th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Small p syndrome.

elcid83
July 29th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Why is a Buffalo Bull fan posting on this board anyway. I thought they were out of the FCS. Did I miss something?

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

Yep! I just checked ESPN to be sure and sure enough, Buffalo is in the FBS. Up at the top of this website, doesn't it say this is an FCS discussion? Sure does. By the way UB, the Runnin' Bulldogs are coming your way on October 10. I hope you guys can give us a good game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

danefan
July 29th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Yep! I just checked ESPN to be sure and sure enough, Buffalo is in the FBS. Up at the top of this website, doesn't it say this is an FCS discussion? Sure does. By the way UB, the Runnin' Bulldogs are coming your way on October 10. I hope you guys can give us a good game.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!

In all fairness to Bull Fan, I'm pretty sure he is a Hofstra supporter as well.

JBB
July 29th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Last year UND had a weak team. They beat Idaho State their only FCS win, unless you count the OT victory over USD, another transition team.

I dont see much improvement this year. They lost a lot to graduation, including a good QB and, for the second year in a row, academic problems took their top offensive player.

Last year their defense was not very good. Generally speaking they were ill prepared and out manned.

Recruiting was hot impressive, at least on paper. They will have a lot of new faces and several transfers. If these guys can pan out they might have the ability to be competitive. If they dont this team tanks in a big way. There are still a lot of lower division teams on the schedule and the Stony Brook game is later in the season so dont be concerned about UND and a wining record. You will have a real good handle on this game if you just look at the FCS stats.

There is a reason they are picked last or second to last in the GWC.

Im not sure about the crowd. They dont have good season ticket sales but a lot of game promotions and free admittance for armed forces personal from the air base helps keep the place looking respectable.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
In all fairness to Bull Fan, I'm pretty sure he is a Hofstra supporter as well.

He is a Buffalo alum and a Hofstra follower through friendship with me. I wouldn't call him a Hofstra supporter, he looks for every opportunity to rail the Dutch and even took that little shot with his "friends and family" attendance remark.

Overall he is a good guy, just an incredible pot stirrer. xnodx

Bull Fan
July 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM

I can't speak for other UB fans / alums, but I'm a fan of Albany and SBU advancing their programs. I will, however, laugh at anyone saying that right now they're on equal athletic standing, despite what your budget spending figures say. Albany and SBU are still trying to establish at the I-AA level, while UB finally made it to their low-level bowl game and is getting some exposure on ESPN2. Not Nebraska, but it's a start. I'm all for the SUNY athletic programs making their mark. We're one of the most important states in the country, and yet the varsity athletic programs at the collegiate level are virtually unknowns.

I pull for SUNY, and Uncle Buck gets pissed when I cheer for SBU when they play Hofstra. He's physically threatened me on numerous occasions, and I'll still root for the wolves. I'm loyal to my brethren despite what you clowns think.

Yes, I'm a Hofstra fan. I've been watching what is now I-AA ball for about 19 years, so a UB alum trolling the AGS boards is kind of justified. I pull for the players as a team. I rail on the administration for their gaffes, and the coaches for their mismanagement. I think I've always been like that, and for any team I'm a fan of. Essentially, I don't have gripes with the guys wearing the uniform, they're the legacy of the team. It's the yo-yo's who administer over teams who usually screw things up....

A shot at the Hofstra fan base? Friends and family night? Sorry, Uncle Buck, it's always been that way and we all know it. Save for the Margiotta legacy, the wine and cheese club and maybe 50 other hardcore people in the crowd ((...really not that much of an exaggeration...) who don't partake in the pride club membership "ooh, it's raining, I better sit in the fieldhouse"), our fans have a four year (max) turnover ratio.

darell1976
July 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Last year UND had a weak team. They beat Idaho State their only FCS win, unless you count the OT victory over USD, another transition team.

I dont see much improvement this year. They lost a lot to graduation, including a good QB and, for the second year in a row, academic problems took their top offensive player.

Last year their defense was not very good. Generally speaking they were ill prepared and out manned.

Recruiting was hot impressive, at least on paper. They will have a lot of new faces and several transfers. If these guys can pan out they might have the ability to be competitive. If they dont this team tanks in a big way. There are still a lot of lower division teams on the schedule and the Stony Brook game is later in the season so dont be concerned about UND and a wining record. You will have a real good handle on this game if you just look at the FCS stats.

Im not sure about the crowd. They dont have good season ticket sales but a lot of game promotions and free admittance for armed forces personal from the air base helps keep the place looking respectable.

We have 2 lower division games..Sioux Falls, and S. Oregon hopefully this will be at zero next year but at least the games comes after this one, and as for the record we could be at 1-3 with 3 road games to start the season the best bet and what i am hoping for is 2-2 with a win on the road (not Texas Tech) and a win vs USD. Good points JBB i do give you that!

Seawolf97
July 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM
We have 2 lower division games..Sioux Falls, and S. Oregon hopefully this will be at zero next year but at least the games comes after this one, and as for the record we could be at 1-3 with 3 road games to start the season the best bet and what i am hoping for is 2-2 with a win on the road (not Texas Tech) and a win vs USD. Good points JBB i do give you that!

I'm looking forward to this game. First trip West of the Mississippi for StonyBrook football and a holiday like crowd for the Potato Bowl. Pretty cool.

Seawolf97
July 29th, 2009, 08:54 PM
LOL....was that during a storm or something?

Actually a tropical storm. It started raining about 5 minutes into game and just came down in sheets for 3 hours. The grounds crew was using everything they had to push the water off the field and couldnt keep up. But both teams kept on playing .

Seawolf97
July 29th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Your team should be given just for opening at Texas Tech. Thats a tall order even for a BCS team.xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
July 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I can't speak for other UB fans / alums, but I'm a fan of Albany and SBU advancing their programs. I will, however, laugh at anyone saying that right now they're on equal athletic standing, despite what your budget spending figures say. Albany and SBU are still trying to establish at the I-AA level, while UB finally made it to their low-level bowl game and is getting some exposure on ESPN2. Not Nebraska, but it's a start. I'm all for the SUNY athletic programs making their mark. We're one of the most important states in the country, and yet the varsity athletic programs at the collegiate level are virtually unknowns.

I pull for SUNY, and Uncle Buck gets pissed when I cheer for SBU when they play Hofstra. He's physically threatened me on numerous occasions, and I'll still root for the wolves. I'm loyal to my brethren despite what you clowns think.

Yes, I'm a Hofstra fan. I've been watching what is now I-AA ball for about 19 years, so a UB alum trolling the AGS boards is kind of justified. I pull for the players as a team. I rail on the administration for their gaffes, and the coaches for their mismanagement. I think I've always been like that, and for any team I'm a fan of. Essentially, I don't have gripes with the guys wearing the uniform, they're the legacy of the team. It's the yo-yo's who administer over teams who usually screw things up....

A shot at the Hofstra fan base? Friends and family night? Sorry, Uncle Buck, it's always been that way and we all know it. Save for the Margiotta legacy, the wine and cheese club and maybe 50 other hardcore people in the crowd ((...really not that much of an exaggeration...) who don't partake in the pride club membership "ooh, it's raining, I better sit in the fieldhouse"), our fans have a four year (max) turnover ratio.

Like i said, pot stirrer.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Kiss my grits, Uncle Buck.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 06:56 AM
And for anyone questioning my sincerity, I give you this. A mug given to me by the dean of the college of business after I spoke to a student business club. Very welcoming and professionally qualified staff.

My morning serving of my "nectar of the Gods". Yes, I like it black and strong w/o sugar. Just like my women...

Uncle Buck
July 30th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Kiss my grits, Uncle Buck.

Some people are born to bleed the colors of their school, others are born to stir the pot. From this childhood action shot below, it is clear what you were destined for:

http://www.thenewstyle.org/hernandez/blogstuff/toilet_doo.jpg

Redwyn
July 30th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Pure beauty XD

Uncle Buck
July 30th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Technically, i have more of a connection to SBU than Bull Fan, i actually earned a professional diploma through their school of educational leadership. Therefore, i'm an alum by virtue of my post-master's graduate certificate. I get email newsletters and everything.

But i still want the Dutch to win! Hopefully SBU wins all their other games.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Technically, i have more of a connection to SBU than Bull Fan, i actually earned a professional diploma through their school of educational leadership. Therefore, i'm an alum by virtue of my post-master's graduate certificate. I get email newsletters and everything.

But i still want the Dutch to win! Hopefully SBU wins all their other games.

Amazing. I'd like to think you didn't sleep your way through that program like you did at Hofstra. xwhistlex

Uncle Buck
July 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Amazing. I'd like to think you didn't sleep your way through that program like you did at Hofstra. xwhistlex

I love HU, 'nuff said.

Though I did read today that Princeton Review had SBU ranked in the top 20 for "Least Happy Students", "Most Red Tape" and "Class Discussion Rare"

Okay, that's the last I will comment on it since it is turning into a smack thread.

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Uncle Buck
July 30th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

But sometimes it doesn't sound that bad either. xthumbsupx

Bull Fan
July 30th, 2009, 04:03 PM
But sometimes it doesn't sound that bad either. xthumbsupx

At certain times in your life, absolutely not.

Seawolf97
July 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Good thing you guys are friends!xlolx

Bull Fan
July 31st, 2009, 07:37 AM
That last exchange is all fun and games. Please tell me you know where that quote came from.

Uncle Buck
August 1st, 2009, 03:23 PM
Good thing you guys are friends!xlolx

Believe it or not that negative SOB is the godfather to my oldest daughter. He's much nicer in person and besides, he's the only one of my buddies i can drag out to tailgate for Hofstra or Stony Brook games!