PDA

View Full Version : Coaches Preseason All-SoCon Teams

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Edwards, Roman Highlight Team as Preseason Players of the Year

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After earning league player of the year honors as juniors in 2008, Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards and linebacker Jacque Roman have been named Southern Conference Preseason Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, respectively, in voting by the league’s nine head football coaches.

Edwards, the All-American quarterback who claimed the 2008 Walter Payton Award while rewriting the ASU and SoCon record books, was a unanimous choice as both the first-team preseason all-conference quarterback and the league’s Offensive Player of the Year. The Greenwood, S.C., native accumulated 3,843 yards of total offense and was responsible for 41 touchdowns as a junior while leading the Mountaineers to a perfect 8-0 SoCon record.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=204765851

DLS
July 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Edwards, Roman Highlight Team as Preseason Players of the Year

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – After earning league player of the year honors as juniors in 2008, Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards and linebacker Jacque Roman have been named Southern Conference Preseason Offensive and Defensive Players of the Year, respectively, in voting by the league’s nine head football coaches.

Edwards, the All-American quarterback who claimed the 2008 Walter Payton Award while rewriting the ASU and SoCon record books, was a unanimous choice as both the first-team preseason all-conference quarterback and the league’s Offensive Player of the Year. The Greenwood, S.C., native accumulated 3,843 yards of total offense and was responsible for 41 touchdowns as a junior while leading the Mountaineers to a perfect 8-0 SoCon record.

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=204765851

jesus. 17.

is coco even returning kicks for us this year?

biggie
July 27th, 2009, 03:57 PM
is coco even returning kicks for us this year?
Probably to be decided in camp. I figure someone else with speed will take over and let Coco concentrate on recieving this year. A couple too many fumbles by him in the return game, though got better as the season went on last year.

Skjellyfetti
July 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
13 for App are sophomores and juniors. xnodx

And, I vote for Devin Radford as kick returner.

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM
13 for App are sophomores and juniors. xnodx

And, I vote for Devin Radford as kick returner.

Yeah if Presley is as good as he flashed against WCU then ASU should be even better in 2010 if they can develop a replacement for Roman, Acitelli, and Anthony Williams. I think Witte will replace Williams with 2-3 guys in contention at LB and it just seems like the OL is the only spot where the future is unknown. Although I will point out that the OL is the most important of all of those positions.

DLS
July 27th, 2009, 04:16 PM
that quin thornton kid looked like a hell of a returner from his vids.

blueballs
July 27th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Only 3 Georgia Southern players which includes a kicker, interesting...xwhistlex

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
no offense to you App guys but I'm going to out on a limb and say that not all of these players will be on the post season All-socon...7/9 of your returning D are all conference I just don't buy into that.

DLS
July 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
no offense to you App guys but I'm going to out on a limb and say that not all of these players will be on the post season All-socon...7/9 of your returning D are all conference I just don't buy into that.

actually robertson and mcduffie should be on there in my opinion :)

Skjellyfetti
July 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Almost all of them were all conference at the end of last season... so, barring injuries... I expect them on their at the end of the season again.

Who on defense would you take off? Who would you you replace him with? Only guy I could fathom leaving out would be Ed Gainey... not sure who I'd replace him with... and I certainly think he is deserving.

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Almost all of them were all conference at the end of last season... so, barring injuries... I expect them on their at the end of the season again.

Who on defense would you take off? Who would you you replace him with? Only guy I could fathom leaving out would be Ed Gainey... not sure who I'd replace him with... and I certainly think he is deserving.

I'm not speculating or hating I just don't think there will be as many as advertised. I also think there is a little bit of a pro-ASU bias, if there's a tough choice between 2 players they'll choose ASU.for instance, I would have taken Fenn allen at tight end last year over jordan any day, not saying jordan isn't all conference talent but rather Fenn should of been up there with him. he was just a better player IMO. additionally Seth Goldwire was completely overlooked at LB for any spot on all conference first or second team and he was just as good, if not better than he was the year before and he was all conference then.

I have a bigger beef with the freshmen all-socons, we got ripped off there no question about it. Niam, an LB should of been on that list-- he was third on the team with tackles (behind 2 seniors) for goodness sake. same with our DL, we had 3 freshmen (out of 3 DL in a base defense) in the 2 deep. they each had at least a sack and contributed to one of the best rush defenses in the conference.

myxtwocentsx

Saint3333
July 27th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Fletcher, Roman, Banks, LeGree, and Cortez are legit All-SoCon talent. Williams is a good pick too. Gainey was the only one of the seven that I found questionable. Devon Moore may have been a "potential" pick as he was key in 2007 but then injuried in 2008.

Whoever wins the conference will likely have the most All-Conference players, it's not ASU bias it is championship bias.

Eaglesrus
July 27th, 2009, 07:46 PM

I don't think that there's any question that your guys are good, but there is a huge number of young players in the conference that haven't had the exposure yet; we'll see what happens.

WCU LawCat
July 27th, 2009, 08:41 PM
With all do respect to all of the kids that made the list. It is a load of crap that not one WCU player made the list....when a current WCU player made the post season list last year.

smallcollegefbfan
July 27th, 2009, 09:11 PM
With all do respect to all of the kids that made the list. It is a load of crap that not one WCU player made the list....when a current WCU player made the post season list last year.

I firmly agree. Not having Bell and then picking Roman over LeGree at this point are two things that baffle me. I also thought that Adrian McLeod was a clear oversight.

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Fletcher, Roman, Banks, LeGree, and Cortez are legit All-SoCon talent. Williams is a good pick too. Gainey was the only one of the seven that I found questionable. Devon Moore may have been a "potential" pick as he was key in 2007 but then injuried in 2008.

Whoever wins the conference will likely have the most All-Conference players, it's not ASU bias it is championship bias.

that's basically what I was getting at. When in doubt go with the winners, and nowadays that's ASU

WCU LawCat
July 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I firmly agree. Not having Bell and then picking Roman over LeGree at this point are two things that baffle me. I also thought that Adrian McLeod was a clear oversight.

I don't really understand it. Maybe it is better that the SoCon coaches pretend that Western does not have anything to ffer again this year...

Reign of Terrier
July 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
my count:
ASU--17
Wofford--6
Furman--7
Samford--4
GSU--3
The Citadel--6
Elon-7
Western--zippaty do da

theasushow
July 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
chatty only had 1 (if that's any slight consolation to wcu)

Seven Would Be Nice
July 28th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I don't really understand it. Maybe it is better that the SoCon coaches pretend that Western does not have anything to ffer again this year...

What don't you understand? Your seniors are 1-21 in the SoCon. Apparently they don't have much to offer.

As posted above, since App is the only team to do well recently in the post season.. this is pretty much just a "best of app state" team.

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Bout what I expected. I would bet the farm that if he stays healthy, you'll see RJ Webb supplant one of those wide recievers on the list (probably Hillary).

And not to get picky, but I find it a slight that Justin Brown didn't make the first team. No better pass rusher in the league from the interior line in the SoCon.

AshevilleApp2
July 28th, 2009, 08:22 AM
All speculation. We'll start to know better in six weeks. Six looooooong weeks! xlolx