PDA

View Full Version : IAA NC Ticket Estimates...

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2005, 03:01 AM
There is an article in today's T-FP where writer Wesley Rucker interviewed Merrill Eckstein, head of the Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee.

a couple of quotes...

Eckstein said the athletic directors from Furman and Appalachian State told him they could bring about 5,000 fans to Chattanooga.

Officials from Texas State estimated they could sell 3,000-4,000 tickets, and officials from NIU estimated they could sell 1,000-2,000. But Eckstein said numbers from all four schools are just "guesstimates."

Eckstein said about 7,000 tickets have been bought locally, and he thinks a normal gameday walk-up of 1,500-2,000 would get the area sales close to the goal of 10,000. He said locals purchased 9,200 tickets last year.

If you would like to read the entire article, it has been reprinted with permission on Mocfans...

http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2651.topic

txstatebobcat
December 7th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Considering how our(TxSt) fanbase has been responding. I would have said something along the lines of 4-6,000. I heard that graduation ceremonies are Saturday after the game, that may hurt attendance.

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2005, 03:32 AM
BTW---the have really promo'ed the hell out of it here...there are have been nice ads during the local news on all 3 networks for the last couple of weeks (6 and 11)...they have had lead-up articles for over a month now in the paper...and they have announced it at every Mocs sporting even this fall (football, men's/women's basketball)...and they have been advertising on the men's basketball radio broadcasts since the season started.

I have seen the TV commercial so many times that I can mock/mimic it because it is now annoying. :lol (the commercial is good though...it has kinda of a "gladiator" feel to it...dramatic music, etc...lot of delware and montana) :)

Hopefully we can get some nice weather...just once, please, some nice weather (currently, the 10 day forecast has it partly cloudy and in the 50's in the day time). Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Eagle22
December 7th, 2005, 05:19 AM
There is an article in today's T-FP where writer Wesley Rucker interviewed Merrill Eckstein, head of the Greater Chattanooga Sports and Events Committee.

a couple of quotes...

If you would like to read the entire article, it has been reprinted with permission on Mocfans...

http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm3.showMessage?topicID=2651.topic

I'm real surprised at the "NIU" estimate ... considering they don't have a dog in the hunt .... ;)

Maybe if they talk with "UNI", they'll find a few more interested folks :D

89Hen
December 7th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I'm real surprised at the "NIU" estimate ... considering they don't have a dog in the hunt .... ;)

Maybe if they talk with "UNI", they'll find a few more interested folks :D
I was thinking the same thing. Seriously though, I'd be surprised if they only brought that many from UNI. They seem to support the team and would have waited for that day for a long time. I'd expect them to send a lot more than that.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2005, 08:56 AM
Heck, I'd be disappointed with only 5k coming from Appalachian St. - with their home attendance this year and relative proximity to Chattanooga, 5k would be low IMO.

GGASU
December 7th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Heck, I'd be disappointed with only 5k coming from Appalachian St. - with their home attendance this year and relative proximity to Chattanooga, 5k would be low IMO.

The home attendance this year was inflated due to only having 4 home games. A lot of allumi come to a couple games a year, so with only having four this increased the attendance.

ASU also has the added attraction of the leaves turning in the fall and the cool weather brings a lot of people to the mountains for the weekend. Now that it has turned colder, we are having a tough time selling tickets.

I will be happy with 5000 die hard fans going to the championship game. I'll be one of the them traveling 11 hrs for the game.

GannonFan
December 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM
ASU also has the added attraction of the leaves turning in the fall and the cool weather brings a lot of people to the mountains for the weekend. Now that it has turned colder, we are having a tough time selling tickets.

I just have to laugh at this for a second - you're saying that Appalachian had a big attendance this year because the leaves were pretty? Must have been some seriously racous crowds.

FU97
December 7th, 2005, 09:16 AM
The home attendance this year was inflated due to only having 4 home games. A lot of allumi come to a couple games a year, so with only having four this increased the attendance.

I will be happy with 5000 die hard fans going to the championship game. I'll be one of the them traveling 11 hrs for the game.

Also helpd that your biggest rivalry game (WCU) was at home as well.

OL FU
December 7th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I just have to laugh at this for a second - you're saying that Appalachian had a big attendance this year because the leaves were pretty? Must have been some seriously racous crowds.

Don't discount the power of the North Carolina hills to attract a crowd :D

ASU has great crowds but I don't think anybody puts them in the Delaware or Montana category for fan support. We have discussed and disagreed with the reasons before.

PS, I might actually be surprised if 5000 Furman faithful made the trip.
I missed 2001, anybody have any idea how many purple people made the trip.

GGASU
December 7th, 2005, 09:23 AM

LOL...You would not believe the number of tourists Boone gets when the leaves are at peak level.

My parents go to one game a year with three other families(none of which went to ASU). The game is something to do during their trip to the mountains, it is NOT the reason they all go.

89Hen
December 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Distance to Chatty...

San Marcos, TX - 1,001
Cedar Falls, IA - 829
Boone, NC - 269
Greenville, SC - 249

OL FU
December 7th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Distance to Chatty...

San Marcos, TX - 1,001
Cedar Falls, IA - 829
Boone, NC - 269
Greenville, SC - 249

My guess is except for the students the Boone travelers are coming from Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Greensboro- Winston Salem.

It is an such an easy trip from G'ville. I-85 to Atlanta I-75 to Chattanooga.

89Hen
December 7th, 2005, 09:34 AM
BTW, interesting (OK maybe not interesting more like worthless) note. Open the four semifinalists websites main page for their school and see what picture comes up.

TxState - picture of distinguished alumnist and current professor :boring:
UNI - actually changes every time you open it, but its a student, alumnus or professor :boring:
Furman - picture of football team :beerchug:
AppSt - picture of a water polo player :confused:

texcap
December 7th, 2005, 09:39 AM
BTW, interesting (OK maybe not interesting more like worthless) note. Open the four semifinalists websites main page for their school and see what picture comes up.

UNI - actually changes every time you open it, but its a student, alumnus or professor :boring:

Actually I think that both FU and ASU have rotating pictures similar to UNI. When I went to the ASU website there was a picture of the football team running onto the field through fireworks. The FU site had a picture of the band. Just hit the refresh button and you can scroll through a lot of the pictures.

OL FU
December 7th, 2005, 09:40 AM

You got lucky. Everytime you open it you will get something different. Open it four times n one minute. I got the Paladin, the band, a chorus group and naked women with FU written across their chest. :)

HiHiYikas
December 7th, 2005, 09:43 AM
My guess is except for the students the Boone travelers are coming from Charlotte, Raleigh Durham, Greensboro- Winston Salem.

It is an such an easy trip from G'ville. I-85 to Atlanta I-75 to Chattanooga.

Getting to any interstate from Boone is a long haul.

I remember going to a concert at Legends when I was up there, and the band's front man said "Y'know, none of us had any idea where Boone was when we got on the road, but we all figured it was the farthest away place in the world. We could have had a 45-minute drive and we'd have all been like 'Man, we've got to get a move on - we've got to go all the way to BOONE.'" It was pretty amusing.

I've only come into Chattanooga from Atlanta. It looks like the trip would be a lot easier from Western NC if the interstate didn't jut inexplicably Northward on the other side of Asheville. Is there a more direct route? Is it a feasible option, or is it full of unlined curvy roads?

OL FU
December 7th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Getting to any interstate from Boone is a long haul.

I remember going to a concert at Legends when I was up there, and the band's front man said "Y'know, none of us had any idea where Boone was when we got on the road, but we all figured it was the farthest away place in the world. We could have had a 45-minute drive and we'd have all been like 'Man, we've got to get a move on - we've got to go all the way to BOONE.'" It was pretty amusing.

I've only come into Chattanooga from Atlanta. It looks like the trip would be a lot easier from Western NC if the interstate didn't jut inexplicably Northward on the other side of Asheville. Is there a more direct route? Is it a feasible option, or is it full of unlined curvy roads?

I don't think Chattanooga to more than a couple hours maybe two and a half from Knoxville. How easy is it to get there? Checked and I got 111 miles from Knoxville. Did not check on how to get to Knoxville from Boone.

89Hen
December 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Actually I think that both FU and ASU have rotating pictures similar to UNI.
:doh: I actually went back to them each twice to make sure they weren't, but my cookies must have kept them from changing. Now they did when I refreshed.

GtFllsGriz
December 7th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Man, I would go to the NC game every year, regardless of who was playing, if I lived within 269 miles of Chatty. Montanan's drive that far for a game with a DII team. We routinly drive that far for a high school game. You would see 23,000 plus for a NC game that close.

dirtbag
December 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM

HOT HOT HOT!

HOT HOT HOT!

Appalachian is HOT HOT HOT!

Come and let us show you what we've got!

Come and let us show you why we're HOT HOT HOT!!!

:bang:

(Damn song is stuck in my head.)

GGASU
December 7th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Man, I would go to the NC game every year, regardless of who was playing, if I lived within 269 miles of Chatty. Montanan's drive that far for a game with a DII team. We routinly drive that far for a high school game. You would see 23,000 plus for a NC game that close.

Yeah but the Montana Grizzlies are the biggest sports attraction in your state. Here in North Carolina we have the Panthers, FIVE I-A schools playing football and now that basketball season has started up four ACC schools. Appalachian Football is not even mentioned in the eastern part of the state.

89Hen
December 7th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah but the Montana Grizzlies are the biggest sports attraction in your state. Here in North Carolina we have the Panthers, FIVE I-A schools playing football and now that basketball season has started up four ACC schools. Appalachian Football is not even mentioned in the eastern part of the state.
:boring: :deadhorse Let's not start that debate up again.

ButlerGSU
December 7th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I have two tickets in section 124, they are on row 1. Clearly GSU will not be on the sidelines but if anyone who has a team playing in the game wants to swap to be close to their team (or behind the other team) PM me, I'm looking to trade for some seats with backs (home side). We could meet up before the game.

Eagles Soar
December 7th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Speaking of Boone, all this time I thought there was a reference to Daniel Boone for the city but now I realize the locals just got tired of giving directions so instead of saying "we are way out in the boonies", they just say we are in Boone. xlolx

fuEMO
December 7th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Don't discount the power of the North Carolina hills to attract a crowd :D

ASU has great crowds but I don't think anybody puts them in the Delaware or Montana category for fan support. We have discussed and disagreed with the reasons before.

PS, I might actually be surprised if 5000 Furman faithful made the trip.
I missed 2001, anybody have any idea how many purple people made the trip.

The championship game works very well for Furman, 4 hour drive to Nooga. And a 2 hour drive for the large alum base living in the Atlanta area.

I might be wrong here but in 01 we filled the entire visitors side, around 9,000.

OL FU
December 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
The championship game works very well for Furman, 4 hour drive to Nooga. And a 2 hour drive for the large alum base living in the Atlanta area.

I might be wrong here but in 01 we filled the entire visitors side, around 9,000.

Wow. That would be wonderful. I had not thought of the Atlanta and other alums. I was basing this on my general feeling that FU has about 7000-8000 core fans (not just season ticket holders - but including those who plan to come to one or two games every year). Would generally think that we would put that number in the stands without promotions or homecoming no matter who we played (as long as it is not thanksgiving weekend). I realize we average alot more but a lot of that comes from promotions etc.

PantherRob82
December 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure what to expect from Panther fans. I thought we traveled pretty well for a qf game in New Hampshire. Hard to say how many will come out. I know I'm bringing 3 with me.

FU97
December 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM

I don't remember our crowd being that big in 2001.

chattanoogamocs
December 7th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Though Boone and G'Ville are only about 20 miles difference in mileage...it takes about 2 hours longer to get to Chattanooga from Boone than G'Ville (because what someone else said...G'Ville to Chatt is all interstate).

If anyone is wondering, or looking for airports...Knoxville, Atlanta, Birmingham, and Nashville are all right at 2 hours drive on the interstate...all have connector flights, but some find it cheaper to just rent a care and drive it.

I thought the numbers for Furman and App sounded a little low too...Furman because they have so many alums in Atlanta...and ASU because you would think that if they finally made it to the finals that they would be coming out of the woodwork...I know if I was an App fan, I wouldn't miss it for the world (especially when it is an easy drive...under 8 hours from more than half of North Carolina).

Anyone...FU, ASU, UNI, TXSt...you guys never really know if this opportunity will ever happen for you (your school) again...don't miss your chance...I have been on the field the last three year taking photos...it is one of the most exciting times I have ever experienced...and it is not even my school...I can't even imagine how much more exciting it would be if it was.

matfu
December 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM

wow, i'm impressed that 5000 app state fans would come to watch furman play in the national championship game!!!!

matfu
December 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM

i saw folks form greenville i did not even know were furman fans...i think many realized these opportunities don't come around every year. i would say there were at least 7,000 as we filled almost all of one side.

AppFootballAlum
December 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
wow, i'm impressed that 5000 app state fans would come to watch furman play in the national championship game!!!!

LOL xlolx

fuEMO
December 7th, 2005, 04:18 PM
i saw folks form greenville i did not even know were furman fans...i think many realized these opportunities don't come around every year. i would say there were at least 7,000 as we filled almost all of one side.

I seem to remember the 9000 number but your right at least 7000.

The interest in this team is really picking up steam, from the students, fans, alum and alot of the old players. If and that's a big IF we beat APP, I think you will say a very large Purple crowd.

For now I would be happy to see 2000 Furmans in Boone, its looking like that could happen. :xmas:

ericappstate
December 7th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I know alot of students are going to make the trip if we win this weekend.

matfu
December 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
championship games for furman: 85, 88, 2001...don't come around very often which is why i think so many folks made it to the championship game in 'nooga in 2001...plus need to take advantage when it is somewhere close vs. pocatello idaho and tacoma washington.

HiHiYikas
December 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I know alot of students are going to make the trip if we win this weekend.

That's not a bad looking graphic...a little like Stone Mountain in GA. I wouldn't mind seeing a version of that with a more intimidating looking rock. Say, the matterhorn.

http://www.matterhorn.no/Nyefile/MHBERGET.jpg

now that is a bad-ass rock.

GSUBass
December 7th, 2005, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty damn sure that IS Stone Mountain...even got the cut out for the confederate generals and everything.

SoCon48
December 8th, 2005, 01:07 AM
I'm pretty damn sure that IS Stone Mountain...even got the cut out for the confederate generals and everything.
Because when it comes down to the nitty gritty, that's pretty much all Gawgia Suthin' has.

Mr. C
December 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM

My memory of the 2001 championship game (my first time going to the I-AA title game) was that the crowd was rather disappointing. I remember Montana having more fans there than Furman and I remember being surprised that the Paladins didn't bring more. The official attendance was 12,698, quite a drop from the 17,156 that Georgia Southern and Montana had drawn the previous year.

ButlerGSU
December 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Because when it comes down to the nitty gritty, that's pretty much all Gawgia Suthin' has.

What are you talking about? Stone Mountain is four hours away from Georgia Southern.

GtFllsGriz
December 8th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I would encourage the fans, of whichever teams make it, to go to the game. It cost me over $1100.00 to go last year and it was a great time even though we lost the game. Chatty does a great job of hosting. The Montana fans took over several of the local pubs and shared them with fans from TN and JMU. The pre-game activities are top notch and very exciting.

You may wait years to do it again so get out and support your team. I would do it again in a heartbeat although it takes much longer for my body to recuperate from the activities. I'll leave it at that.

December 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
...The pre-game activities are top notch and very exciting...That Montana rouser the night before was incredible!

GSUBass
December 8th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I'm not even from Georgia and have only been to that giant rock once. When you can see it from Hartsfield when you are taking off...it kinda sticks in your mind.

OL FU
December 8th, 2005, 02:21 PM
That Montana rouser the night before was incredible!

Ralph, you have your Yosef costume on :smiley_wi

Ivytalk
December 8th, 2005, 03:00 PM
You got lucky. Everytime you open it you will get something different. Open it four times n one minute. I got the Paladin, the band, a chorus group and naked women with FU written across their chest. :)

OL FU, I've been on the Furman site for 6 full hours, and I cain't git the dang nekkid wimmin to come up!!? :p Easier to hit the slots jackpot at Delaware Park... :doh:

OL FU
December 8th, 2005, 03:11 PM
OL FU, I've been on the Furman site for 6 full hours, and I cain't git the dang nekkid wimmin to come up!!? :p Easier to hit the slots jackpot at Delaware Park... :doh:

Sorry, Ivy. I hit the wrong favorites. That was FU.org/asm

AppMan
December 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM

You have got to be kidding! If our increased attendance was due to only having 4 games please explain the huge gain in numbers? I've had the same season tickets for 26 years and I can assure you the increase had far more to do with the new emphasis on marketing the program rather than a bunch of leaves. Chancellor Peacock and new AD Charlie Cobb have done an incredible job of creating a great gameday atmosphere at ASU. There is a new level of excitement and a great new vision for athletics in Boone and its only going to get better. All AppFans can feel the excitement in what is going on and they are responding. The 1-aa playoffs have consistently drawn far fewer fans than the regular season at schools all across the country. This isn't an ASU thing. Last weeks attendance for Southern Illinois was the second largest home playoff crowd ever and the game was played in a bone chilling cold rain. So cold I had ice all over my car when I got to it in the parking lot. Sorry, but your arguement about the increased attendance this season is weak and just doesn't hold water.

KiddBrewer
December 8th, 2005, 06:55 PM
You have got to be kidding! If our increased attendance was due to only having 4 games please explain the huge gain in numbers? I've had the same season tickets for 26 years and I can assure you the increase had far more to do with the new emphasis on marketing the program rather than a bunch of leaves. Chancellor Peacock and new AD Charlie Cobb have done an incredible job of creating a great gameday atmosphere at ASU. There is a new level of excitement and a great new vision for athletics in Boone and its only going to get better. All AppFans can feel the excitement in what is going on and they are responding. The 1-aa playoffs have consistently drawn far fewer fans than the regular season at schools all across the country. This isn't an ASU thing. Last weeks attendance for Southern Illinois was the second largest home playoff crowd ever and the game was played in a bone chilling cold rain. So cold I had ice all over my car when I got to it in the parking lot. Sorry, but your arguement about the increased attendance this season is weak and just doesn't hold water.

argreed!

AppFootballAlum
December 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Ditto on the marketing and vision