PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kentucky Tabbed as 2009 OVC Favorite, Preseason OVC Team Named

roTSU50
July 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM
BRENTWOOD, Tenn. In a balanced vote that saw five of the eight eligible teams receive at least one first-place vote, two-time defending champion Eastern Kentucky University has been picked as the 2009 Ohio Valley Conference preseason football favorite in a vote of league head coaches and sports information directors.
The Colonels received 10 first-place votes to take home the preseason honor for the third time in the last five years. UT Martin, 2006 co-champions, was picked to finish second and received four first-place votes. Eastern Illinois was third with two first-place votes followed by Tennessee State and Murray State who each received one first-place vote. The preseason poll was rounded out by Tennessee Tech being picked sixth and Austin Peay and Southeast Missouri tying for seventh place. Jacksonville State, who is not eligible for the OVC Championship this year, was not included in the poll.
Due to a postseason ban by the NCAA (occasion three historic penalty of the Academic Progress Rate), in accordance with OVC by-laws Jacksonville State is not eligible for the OVC Championship this season. The Gamecocks will still play a full Conference schedule with wins and losses counting and will be eligible to be ranked in national polls. Despite not having the opportunity to participate in the postseason, Jax State should have a good team in 2009. The squad is led by senior quarterback Ryan Perrilloux who passed for 2,318 yards and 19 touchdowns and rushed for 368 yards and seven scores in his first season with the team after transferring from LSU. His athleticism should make JSU a threat on every offensive possession. Defensively the team returns two players who have garnered preseason All-American status, linebacker Alexander Henderson (103 tackles) and defensive back Carnell Clark (66 tackles, two interceptions).
http://www.ovcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=6200&ATCLID=204763869

CSN Log
July 27th, 2009, 12:20 PM
07-27-2009 12:13 PM

Eastern Kentucky Tabbed as 2009 OVC Favorite, Preseason OVC Team Named

In a balanced vote that saw five of the eight eligible teams receive at least one first-place vote, two-time defending champion Eastern Kentucky University has been picked as the 2009 Ohio Valley Conference preseason football favorite in a vote of league head coaches and sports information directors.

Read more ... (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/07/27/eastern-kentucky-tabbed-as-2009-ovc-favo?blog=2#more5240)

Bam
July 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Wooo! Wait it is only pre-season.

FCS_Fan
July 27th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Nice and all, BUT that is why we play games. I hope it to be true and the season will be interersting.

Redbirdz
July 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
EKU will probably win out but Jacksonville State will have the best OVC record.

TTUEagles
July 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Looking forward to the first OVC game of the year: TTU at EKU. I want to see how much improvement Tech has made, and no better way than to play at the conference favorite. I wish I could go...love Roy Kidd stadium!

FCS_Fan
July 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Looking forward to the first OVC game of the year: TTU at EKU. I want to see how much improvement Tech has made, and no better way than to play at the conference favorite. I wish I could go...love Roy Kidd stadium!

New field turf will be in too.

Eight Legger
July 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
We look forward to seeing you guys at UR Stadium in the first round again this fall!

FCS_Fan
July 27th, 2009, 02:52 PM
We look forward to seeing you guys at UR Stadium in the first round again this fall!

Lots of work to do before we even think about that type of match up. Long, long way down the road. Just have to think about Indiana first.

jmufan999
July 27th, 2009, 03:07 PM

i don't think so. but not for the reason you might think.

i think UR's getting seeded this year. which will mean you'll get the closest non-CAA team to you. hm....... Hampton? Elon possibly? something like that. you've gotten EKU because you haven't been seeded, and they do those matchups first. so EKU was one of the only ones left at that point. anyway, if you are seeded, i doubt you'll get them again. who knows for sure, though.

i've gone back and watched the UR-UNI and UR-Montana games many times (saved them because i knew i'd be desperate for some FCS football in the dog days of summer [now] ), and the more i watch Eric Ward, the more i'm impressed. i know it's neck and neck, but i just can't decide between App State and UR for my preseason favorite.

TTUEagles
July 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I can't believe they are getting Field Turf. Next to Samford, it was the best playing surface I ever played on...They even had a tarp to cover the whole field the day before the game and on game days when raining. Field Turf is apparently a great surface, even though I've never been on it...
Hopefully Tech can make some noise this year, even with few seniors again this year. I'm hoping for 5-6 wins.

FCS_Fan
July 27th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I can't believe they are getting Field Turf. Next to Samford, it was the best playing surface I ever played on...They even had a tarp to cover the whole field the day before the game and on game days when raining. Field Turf is apparently a great surface, even though I've never been on it...
Hopefully Tech can make some noise this year, even with few seniors again this year. I'm hoping for 5-6 wins.

http://hangerfield.eku.edu/

Here is the progress webcam of the field. "Eastern" in one endzone "Colonels" in the other. The obligatory OVC logos on the field and the new Colonel head mascot in the middle in the field.

Maroons
July 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
It seems to me that EKU was voted preseason favorite on the strength of two consecutive conference crowns. Without a proven signal caller in Richmond and all the talent over at Martin, I don't see how the Skyhawks weren't voted #1.

FCS_Fan
July 27th, 2009, 07:37 PM
It seems to me that EKU was voted preseason favorite on the strength of two consecutive conference crowns. Without a proven signal caller in Richmond and all the talent over at Martin, I don't see how the Skyhawks weren't voted #1.

I have to agree, it will be an interesting competition this summer with: Hoskins, Pryor, Smith and possibly Watts.

hawkeye
July 27th, 2009, 07:59 PM

You guys just have our number. We just cant bring it together against EKU. Last two meetings come down to one play. Great football. You will love the field turf. Players at Martin love it.

Bam
July 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
The Colonel has landed on the new turf at 1206 hours. Bam out.

Bam
July 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM

FCS_Fan
July 29th, 2009, 12:13 PM

I like it !!! Can't wait to see a packed house under the lights on 9/19/09 !!

Bam
July 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
A packed house would be nice, EKU will need it. I am sure UTM is ready to end that loosing streak?

FCS_Fan
July 29th, 2009, 01:13 PM
A packed house would be nice, EKU will need it. I am sure UTM is ready to end that loosing streak?

They will be , no question. I think EKU will be too.

hawkeye
July 29th, 2009, 09:50 PM

You just dont know xnodx