View Full Version : SWAC Coaches Want Shot at Playoffs

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Not much new here. Comegy and HF3 have been talking about the "P-word" for some time...thanks to BG on TSPN for sharing! ;)

SWAC commissioner Duer Sharp said there are no plans to make conference teams eligible for the Division I-AA football playoffs, despite opposition from some coaches.

The Dec. 12 date of the Southwestern Athletic Conference championship game eliminates the title winner from accepting the SWAC's automatic bid into the playoffs because the playoffs begin Nov. 22. And the championship game can't be moved because of two games: Alabama State vs. Tuskegee in the Turkey Day Classic on Nov. 26 and Grambling State vs. Southern in the Bayou Classic on Nov. 28 in New Orleans. Both games are big money makers for the teams involved.

Prairie View A&M coach Henry Frazier thinks it's unfair for a few institutions to hold up the entire league.The issue hits close to home considering his squad lost just one game in 2008, but didn't win the West. Since PVAM was in contention for the division crown up to the final week, it couldn't be considered for the NCAA playoffs.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090726/SPORTS030101/907260351/1073/Coaches-want-shot-at-playoffs

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 26th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Not much new here. Comegy and HF3 have been talking about the "P-word" for some time...thanks to BG on TSPN for sharing! ;)

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090726/SPORTS030101/907260351/1073/Coaches-want-shot-at-playoffs

The title is misleading. Only 1 coach said the such.

JohnStOnge
July 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM

Still, I think what they ought to do is say that a school in Prairie View's situation be allowed to opt out of the championship game if it would prefer to be in the playoffs. I don't know if Prairie View would've taken that option but it'd be good if it'd be available.

JohnStOnge
July 26th, 2009, 09:41 AM

Having read the article now, I'd interpret the Jackson State coach's quote as favoring particiipation in the playoffs. And I think the point about a few schools (Grambling, Southern, and Alabama State) creating a situation where nobody gets to participate is a good one.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Dave Coulson told me when we talked the other day following his swing through MVFC and SWAC Media Days that BOTH Comegy and HF3 talked the playoffs at SWAC Media Day.

813Jag
July 26th, 2009, 10:17 AM
the problem isn't with Southern, Grambling, or Alabama St. It is with the fact that 10 years ago the SWAC decided to split into divisions and have a championship game. Do away with that and those schools can go back to the playoffs.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 10:20 AM
the problem isn't with Southern, Grambling, or Alabama St. It is with the fact that 10 years ago the SWAC decided to split into divisions and have a championship game. Do away with that and those schools can go back to the playoffs.

I saw on TSPN that C-Leb said the SWAC championship game will be going away after this year. Is this true? xconfusedx

kdinva
July 26th, 2009, 11:38 AM
....or, start the regular season the last Sat. in August.........There are a couple of D-2 leagues (CIAA for one) who do that already.

smallcollegefbfan
July 26th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Yeah I was going to point that out as well. I think most coaches know that at this current time the SWAC champ would struggle to make it past round one.

The SWAC really seems to be behind where they once were. Grambling State lost by 12 to a NW State team that was middle of the pack in the SLC and Jackson State barely beat a D2 Stillman team that didn't make the playoffs and was killed by Tennessee State. They also lost by four points to middle of the pack MEAC team in Hampton.

I would like to see the SWAC improve all around before joining in the playoffs. With all of that said, I do think Grambling State could perhaps be a solid and legit top 20 team this year.

813Jag
July 26th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I saw on TSPN that C-Leb said the SWAC championship game will be going away after this year. Is this true? xconfusedx
With the return of the 9 game mandate, I'd hope so. But this is the same league that only counted divisional games one year, so who knows?

WileECoyote06
July 26th, 2009, 12:23 PM
lol @ Comegy. . he knew what he was getting into when he went to Jackson State.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Goals for the SWAC.

1) Have all teams with 11 game schedules
2) Build a respectable GPI - to the top half of FCS
3) Have marquee OOC wins

While the SWAC will not enter the playoffs in the forseeable future, if they do this - atleast they create the argument that their teams are among the best in the nation. The above is all that is needed to give the league some credibility, instead of their current place as a 'have not' amongst full scholarship leagues.

datruth4u
July 26th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yeah I was going to point that out as well. I think most coaches know that at this current time the SWAC champ would struggle to make it past round one.

The SWAC really seems to be behind where they once were. Grambling State lost by 12 to a NW State team that was middle of the pack in the SLC and Jackson State barely beat a D2 Stillman team that didn't make the playoffs and was killed by Tennessee State. They also lost by four points to middle of the pack MEAC team in Hampton.

I would like to see the SWAC improve all around before joining in the playoffs. With all of that said, I do think Grambling State could perhaps be a solid and legit top 20 team this year.

Everyone loves to point out that NW State game...Lets see what type of attention that game will receive this year...

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Everyone loves to point out that NW State game...Lets see what type of attention that game will receive this year...

Grambling fans are already looking forward to throttling La Tech in 2010. They probably need to focus on beating an OOC team at the FCS level before they worry about FBS...

Grambling has two good opportunities this "preseason"...

813Jag
July 26th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Grambling fans are already looking forward to throttling La Tech in 2010. They probably need to focus on beating an OOC team at the FCS level before they worry about FBS...

Grambling has two good opportunities this "preseason"...
Those fans scored the same amount of points as you and I did for our favorite teams. Why does it matter what game the fans are looking at? Are they playing? As long as the coaches and players are ready, why does anything else matter?

One thing I can say about this Grambling team is that they will be prepared and ready, noone knows what will happen when the whistle blows. I'm hoping the G-Men put on a show in O-Town, I'll be there. xthumbsupx (Can't believe I just typed that xlolx)

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Those fans scored the same amount of points as you and I did for our favorite teams. Why does it matter what game the fans are looking at? Are they playing? As long as the coaches and players are ready, why does anything else matter?

It sure is humorous though...

Why focus on 2010, when you have the whole 2009 infront of you? Why should the fans focus on La Tech, when you got more pressing concerns forthcoming against another northern Louisiana squad...

813Jag
July 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
It sure is humorous though...

Why focus on 2010, when you have the whole 2009 infront of you? Why should the fans focus on La Tech, when you got more pressing concerns forthcoming against another northern Louisiana squad...
You are humorous as well. xlolx

My point is who cares what game a fan looks forward to, I'm sure they're not going to miss any games this year just to go see LaTech. I feel this way (it doesn't seem that you do), as a fan I have no pressing concern any Saturday. I go to the game and cheer on the guys on the field that do the work. Can you say the same? I guess I'm crazy for being excited for the McNeese game next year? That doesn't mean I don't care what my team does this season. Putting your logic to work, since you looked forward to every Sam Houston game (not looking past any opponent) how did that work out for your team? I'm sure you played a big part in their success.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm excited for the Southern-McNeese game next year. Southern was smart to finally have the chutzpah to make up the game when they did. They were not stupid regarding the personnel for the Pokes, but as they learned before, even a not so great McNeese team has no problems beating the SWAC.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM
You are humorous as well. xlolx

My point is who cares what game a fan looks forward to, I'm sure they're not going to miss any games this year just to go see LaTech. I feel this way (it doesn't seem that you do), as a fan I have no pressing concern any Saturday. I go to the game and cheer on the guys on the field that do the work. Can you say the same? I guess I'm crazy for being excited for the McNeese game next year? That doesn't mean I don't care what my team does this season. Putting your logic to work, since you looked forward to every Sam Houston game (not looking past any opponent) how did that work out for your team? I'm sure you played a big part in their success.

xlolx