PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predicted Order of Finish, POTY Picks

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Get your picks in now before SLC Media Days (July 29th) later this week! What is your predicted order of finish this year for the Southland Conference and which two players do you see emerging as the players of the year on both sides of the ball?

TT's Predicted Order of Finish:
1. Texas State-San Marcos
2. McNeese State
3. Central Arkansas
4. Sam Houston State
5. Northwestern State
6. Southeastern Louisiana
7. Stephen F Austin
8. Nicholls State

Players of the Year
Offense: RB Toddrick Pendland, McNeese State, Sr
Defense: DL Larry Hart, Central Arkansas, Sr.

TT's Thoughts...

Probably have Southeastern La. and Sam Houston State flip-flopped from where they should be in the final SLC standings. I think most people you ask will have TXST, McN and UCA in some form or fashion at the top of their predicted order of finish. After that, it is not so clear.

We do not need to go on about them too much. The big questions.

TXST - will George be consistent and what will not having Cameron Luke mean? Does this mean a guy like Mishak Rivas emerge?

McN - can the Pokes win the big games this year (particularly Nov. 14 in San Marcos) and not have some unexpected hiccup?

UCA - no Brown, strongest defense in the league by some estimations. What's Conque do to change the face of the offense and who is the top signal-caller?

SLU seems to be in position to "party crash", but have yet to truly shed the darkhorse label they have yearly. With that being said, I really hope the Lions contend for the SLC title this year. It'd be a great thing to see Babin and Co. get in position to do something. Lucas is a well respected coach and such a run would probably shed more like on the most under-rated player in the league - Newbill.

There's still questions at SHSU in terms of if Blake Joseph is coming and for the time being, I'll assume he is. I do figure the the SLC coaches will vote SHSU as the #7 team (ahead of Nicholls).

With our friends in Natchitoches, new coach. Comes in with rave reviews, as does the new OC, who they brought in from UCA. Their QB situation is interesting with the Louisville transfer (Wolfe) there along with the former ULL signal-caller (Hundley). They are truly the 'wild card' team out there this year. Could make an appearance in the top three, could bomb out. The Demons have high expectations despite everything - perhaps another "top ranked" recruiting class next February will provide the boost they need to compete yearly.

If Jeremy Moses can keep his TDs up and somehow not manage to throw as many INTs, SFA could really make things interesting. However, hard to imagine it without two entities at WR. Edison is gone. Brooks is still there. I do like their defense of Knicky and Williams.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have the exact same top 3 and players of the year as you. I have SFA 1-2 spots higher in my order of finish though.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I have the exact same top 3 and players of the year as you. I have SFA 1-2 spots higher in my order of finish though.

Glad to see that my opinions on the two biggest things - top three and POTYs - are shared by someone who actively follows FCS. ;)

SFA will come down to the emergence of those young WRs because Moses is going to throw the ball X amount of times and he'll need at times for the young ones to make plays.

TXST has the same issue as SFA in terms of wide receivers, but they have a more consistent QB (in George) and a very talented RB (Bush). Also, I think that we know a little more about the up-and-comers in the WR corps than we do that of SFA's.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 25th, 2009, 07:10 PM
1. Texas State
2. McNeese State
3. Central Arkansas
4. Southeastern Louisiana
5. Northwestern State
6. Stephen F Austin
7. Sam Houston State
8. Nicholls State

POTY--Karrington Bush, TxSt.
Off--Fourroux, McNeese
Def--Scott/Hart, UCA

Top heavy with the Top 3. I think teams may struggle with the offensive balance and playmakers (George, Bush, Rivas, etc...) that Texas State will present.

McNeese...comes to San Marcos. Game will be hyped, improved stadium will be rocking. I WILL MAKE THIS GAME! It will be a great game with the winner claiming the SLC championship. Game's in San Marcos--edge (hopefully) to the Cats.

UCA will have to rely somewhat on their defense (which will be very good). But they do still have some firepower on offense too. Scary team.

SELA is, once again, my darkhorse. Good defense...improved QB play with Babin could spell a very successful season.

NWSt. Good recruiting class, fired up coaching staff. They won't be too bad this year.

SFA...if they improve about 7 pts/game and 70-80 yrds/game on defense, they could scare some people. Also must keep down the turnovers.

Sam...too much turmoil. They have some key transfers maybe coming in, but we'll see. Seem to lack passion, and this starts right at the top with the coaching staff. If they finish lower than 4th, they should probably fire their coach.

Nicholls--lost All-American Webb, will have to depend on methodical, quirky offense to stay in games. Just hold on to the ball and keep it from the other team! lots of low scoring games.

But we all know how the SLC ends up. Flip the preseason picks and you'll have your real finish. xrulesx

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2009, 07:27 PM
But we all know how the SLC ends up. Flip the preseason picks and you'll have your real finish. xrulesx

I'll take a second-place finish by the Kats! xthumbsupx

crossfire07
July 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Nice of y'all to think McNeese will finish that high but with only 9 starters returning they have their work cut out for them. will not be an easy road.

McNeese72
July 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Crossfire already stole my thunder.

I was just going to make a post that, from my view of things, this will be a rebuilding year for the Cowboys.

Doc

BEAR
July 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
1. Texas State
2. McNeese State
3. Central Arkansas
4. Southeastern Louisiana
5. Northwestern State
6. Stephen F Austin
7. Sam Houston State
8. Nicholls State

POTY--Karrington Bush, TxSt.
Off--Fourroux, McNeese
Def--Scott/Hart, UCA

Top heavy with the Top 3. I think teams may struggle with the offensive balance and playmakers (George, Bush, Rivas, etc...) that Texas State will present.

McNeese...comes to San Marcos. Game will be hyped, improved stadium will be rocking. I WILL MAKE THIS GAME! It will be a great game with the winner claiming the SLC championship. Game's in San Marcos--edge (hopefully) to the Cats.

UCA will have to rely somewhat on their defense (which will be very good). But they do still have some firepower on offense too. Scary team.

SELA is, once again, my darkhorse. Good defense...improved QB play with Babin could spell a very successful season.

NWSt. Good recruiting class, fired up coaching staff. They won't be too bad this year.

SFA...if they improve about 7 pts/game and 70-80 yrds/game on defense, they could scare some people. Also must keep down the turnovers.

Sam...too much turmoil. They have some key transfers maybe coming in, but we'll see. Seem to lack passion, and this starts right at the top with the coaching staff. If they finish lower than 4th, they should probably fire their coach.

Nicholls--lost All-American Webb, will have to depend on methodical, quirky offense to stay in games. Just hold on to the ball and keep it from the other team! lots of low scoring games.

Excellent post! UCA will be finding themselves on offense but after the first four games v. Hawaii, w. kentucky, and the two gimmes, there had better be an offense established! If not, the SLC may have a field day with a worn out UCA defense. xlolx

RabidRabbit
July 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM
SFA should be returning a Jr dominated team, that is experienced and plays a very unorthodox system. With Sam, UCA, and McNeese definitely returning less, SFA may be the surprise of the SLC this year.

Can't believe SDSU escaped SFA with the win last year. That was the most exciting game that I've watched the Jacks play.

cajundemon
July 26th, 2009, 05:38 PM
My first AGS post so bear with me. I posted this on fork 'em demons thread under southland standings, slightly tweaked. Perhaps a little optimistic thinking, this is of course if everything goes right for the Demons. Despite TT's self proclaimed "expertise insight" Sam finishing fourth is far more of a stretch than us coming in second.

McNeese State 8-3 (6-1)
Northwestern State 8-3 (6-1)
Texas State 7-4 (4-3)
Central Arkansas 7-5 (4-3)
Southeastern Louisiana 6-5 (3-4)
Sam Houston State 4-7 (2-5)
Nicholls State 4-7 (2-5)
Stephen F. Austin 3-8 (1-6)

Analysis:

1.MSU-veteran qb/rb return, young talent needs to step up. until proven otherwise championship still goes through LC

2. NWST-a 7-5 team that returns a fast talented defense...if new QB Wolfe and Todd Cooley's offense all fall into place, could be a good year for the demons.

3. TXST-Dynamic offense that averaged over 500yds last season, excellent backfield in George and Bush. Solid D, but wont win conference again by technicality, will have to do it outright.

4. UCA-interesting situation on offense with departure of Nathan Brown and OC Todd Cooley, but no doubt will be tough to beat. Stout D returns intact, even with key departures offense will be difficult to get off the field . Will have to win big games in the Pelican State if they wish to repeat.

5. SLU-thought by many to be darkhorse of conference, return the talent to live up to the hype. Veteran QB Babin returns along with All-american Connors

6. SHSU-interesting to see if Blake Joseph can replace Bomar, its not even official he's enrolled. solid backfield, need improvement with D-line and receivers in comparison to last season.

7. Nicholls State-always tough to beat, especially at home. Will need another Josh Son or Yale Vannoy caliber QB to run the bone if they hope to compete for another crown.

8. SFA--best receivers in conference, returns solid QB in Moses that threw for more yards than Bomar, Brown and George did in 08, could easily surprise everyone and finish in top half of conference if defense steps up and holds teams under 30.

lionsrking2
July 26th, 2009, 05:51 PM
8. SFA--best receivers in conference, returns solid QB in Moses that threw for more yards than Bomar, Brown and George did in 08, could easily surprise everyone and finish in top half of conference if defense steps up and holds teams under 30.

I would argue that our WR group is better than SFA's...they have some pretty good ones coming back but lost their best guy in Edison and we return everything - plus get two of our most talented guys back who had to redshirt last year due to injuries.

cajundemon
July 26th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I would argue that our WR group is better than SFA's...they have some pretty good ones coming back but lost their best guy in Edison and we return everything - plus get two of our most talented guys back who had to redshirt last year due to injuries.

Of course thats debatable, but seeing both teams live last season I have to give the nod to SFA having the best depth at that position, despite Edison's departure. Duane Brooks had a better YPG average than Edison and Contrevius Parks had more All-Purpose yards.

lionsrking2
July 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Of course thats debatable, but seeing both teams live last season I have to give the nod to SFA having the best depth at that position, despite Edison's departure. Duane Brooks had a better YPG average than Edison and Contrevius Parks had more All-Purpose yards.

I saw both teams as well and disagree...SFA may use more bodies because they're constantly in 5 wide sets and they throw every down, but I'll put our quality depth up against theirs anyday of the week. We were going to be good at WR anyway just having Chris Wilson, Simmie Yarborough, Andre Cryer and Kory Theodore back, but adding Merrick Lanaux and Luis Sobalvarro, really elevates the position...not to mention we have a very talented redshirt freshman in Tory Williams plus a couple of true freshmen coming in who will add depth.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
My first AGS post so bear with me. I posted this on fork 'em demons thread under southland standings, slightly tweaked. Perhaps a little optimistic thinking, this is of course if everything goes right for the Demons. Despite TT's self proclaimed "expertise insight" Sam finishing fourth is far more of a stretch than us coming in second.

Hard to picture you guys in the top three going in. At the end of the season, it will more than likely be different - but just about everyone else will have some combination of UCA, McNeese and TXST heading in.

SHSU is going to be a different team because special teams has improved (All-SLC punter from '07 returns) plus you have the best running back depth in the legue (Poullard, Aston) - which is a bit odd for a team known for throwing the ball.

If Stoker has any bit of influence and the Bearkat backs can do what we know they are capable of, I think the passing game will come around because opposing teams will point in on the run.

I'm hopeful - but I can see SHSU finishing anywhere from 3rd to 7th.

cajundemon
July 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hard to picture you guys in the top three going in. At the end of the season, it will more than likely be different - but just about everyone else will have some combination of UCA, McNeese and TXST heading in.

SHSU is going to be a different team because special teams has improved (All-SLC punter from '07 returns) plus you have the best running back depth in the legue (Poullard, Aston) - which is a bit odd for a team known for throwing the ball.

If Stoker has any bit of influence and the Bearkat backs can do what we know they are capable of, I think the passing game will come around because opposing teams will point in on the run.

I'm hopeful - but I can see SHSU finishing anywhere from 3rd to 7th.

For the moment I will restrain from saying too much about Peveto and his personel improvements to our program. But for the first time in a while, I believe we will have something to play for in November. Like you said we will not break anyone's top 3 preseason predictions, which in my opinion would be good.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
For the moment I will restrain from saying too much about Peveto and his personel improvements to our program. But for the first time in a while, I believe we will have something to play for in November. Like you said we will not break anyone's top 3 preseason predictions, which in my opinion would be good.

No one is really sure what BDP has just yet. They know a few names - some familiar, some not so much - but I think we'll learn a lot about the Demons

Those two FBS games put the Demons in a tough position, especially if they lose both. You'd only have nine games to get seven wins from that point forward - so those OOC games against UND and Grambling are very critical.

When it comes down to it, if NWST is 2-1 in conference when Oct. 24 turns into Oct. 25, they'll be in the mix. The toughest three teams, back-to-back-to-back.

cajundemon
July 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM
You can list off all the names you want. I honestly think we are going to have the best secondary in the league, but me listing off our DB's isnt going to convince anyone.

cajundemon
July 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
We will be 2-2 going into conference play. Im hoping for a 2-1 split between UCA, TXST, MSU simply because we have 2 of those at home. The majority of demonation has high expectations for BDP, but a 7-4 finish is more realistic.

BEAR
July 26th, 2009, 07:35 PM
You can list off all the names you want. I honestly think we are going to have the best secondary in the league, but me listing off our DB's isnt going to convince anyone.

How many Juco transfers do you have? UCA has quite a few. I wonder how important those are for a team's success? UCA has many many freshman DBs this year....many, but plenty of transfers and seniors too. Just wondering since I don't have your roster.

We will be 2-2 going into conference play. Im hoping for a 2-1 split between UCA, TXST, MSU simply because we have 2 of those at home. The majority of demonation has high expectations for BDP, but a 7-4 finish is more realistic.

Then focus on the TXST and MSU game because UCA doesn't count in the championship race this year! (i.e. don't throw the game..but if you lose it..it won't matter...xlolx )

cajundemon
July 26th, 2009, 08:01 PM
We dont have any JUCOs, Gary Riggs transfered from Ole Miss and he's the only transfer at all in the secondary. Stoker did a stellar job getting some very talented recruits at DB, that due to a injury ravaged secondary had to step up and play hurt, even a few had to change positions at times throughout the year.

NSUDemon98
July 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM

McNeese State 8-3 (6-1)
Northwestern State 8-3 (6-1)
Texas State 7-4 (4-3)
Central Arkansas 7-5 (4-3)
Southeastern Louisiana 6-5 (3-4)
Sam Houston State 4-7 (2-5)
Nicholls State 4-7 (2-5)
Stephen F. Austin 3-8 (1-6)

Analysis:

1.MSU-veteran qb/rb return, young talent needs to step up. until proven otherwise championship still goes through LC

2. NWST-a 7-5 team that returns a fast talented defense...if new QB Wolfe and Todd Cooley's offense all fall into place, could be a good year for the demons.

3. TXST-Dynamic offense that averaged over 500yds last season, excellent backfield in George and Bush. Solid D, but wont win conference again by technicality, will have to do it outright.

4. UCA-interesting situation on offense with departure of Nathan Brown and OC Todd Cooley, but no doubt will be tough to beat. Stout D returns intact, even with key departures offense will be difficult to get off the field . Will have to win big games in the Pelican State if they wish to repeat.

5. SLU-thought by many to be darkhorse of conference, return the talent to live up to the hype. Veteran QB Babin returns along with All-american Connors

6. SHSU-interesting to see if Blake Joseph can replace Bomar, its not even official he's enrolled. solid backfield, need improvement with D-line and receivers in comparison to last season.

7. Nicholls State-always tough to beat, especially at home. Will need another Josh Son or Yale Vannoy caliber QB to run the bone if they hope to compete for another crown.

It's about time a Demon fan with some knowledge about the team showed up! LOL!

txstatebobcat
July 27th, 2009, 12:25 AM
1. TxSt - With everything taken into account (O-line, QB, RBs, WRs (WRs are a weak link in this offense, but are very talented) bobcats will have one of the best offenses in the nation this coming year. The defense will be average at best, which is still a vast improvement over last year. Potential pitfall - TxSt is not used to having a target in their back. One thing the 2006 and 2008 teams have in common is that both those years, the bobcats were picked towards the bottom of the rankings. In 2007 the bobcats were picked near the top of the rankings, and ended up with a losing season. With that said, the 2009 team is quite a bit more talented than the 2007 team.

2. SLU - always a dark horse in the SLC, and I think the year has finally come where they will finally make good on that title. They have a combination of a good offense and a good defense which will be rare in a conference where most teams will a good offense but bad defense and vice versa. Pitfalls: Schedule- after two easy games, the lions will have a rough time @OleMiss, @South Dakota @TxSt before going back home vs Sam Houston St. They also have McNeese St and Northwestern St as away games.

3. SFA- The Jacks have a ton of veteran players coming back for 2009. Granted they were a bad team last year, but experience is never bad. They are along the same lines as TxSt in that they will have a great offense, and improved defense (still bad, but better than last year). They will still have to outscore most of their opponents, but this time at least the defense will be keeping things more under control. Pitfalls: getting out of that losing mentality can be a challenge, if they come out of the gates with a win or at least a good showing vs SMU then we will know they will be a contender, otherwise I made a very bad pick for #3.

4.UCA - everybody mentions how the 2009 bears will react to losing Brown. This is all true, but they also have problems with their O-line which won't bode very well for the offense. The bears had one of the best defenses in the SLC last year and will only be better this year. Also they have a favorable schedule with TxSt and SFA both going to Conway this year. Positives for UCA- UCA is the Opposite of SFA in that they have that winning tradition, they don't fold under pressure. That is to say that the much needed fumble or interception recoveries or third-and-long catch will be made. Even though I think this is a rebuilding year for the bears, it wouldn't surprise me to see UCA become the unofficial conference champs once again.

5. McNeese State- Cowboy fans say this is a rebuilding year, but their offense includes a Payton award candidate and one of the best returning QBs in the league. However they have huge questions about their O-line that need to be answered before they should be considered to be contenders for the SLC crown. MSU also had a bad defense last year and while I expect them to be better, the cowboy defense will only be average at best. The cowboys do have what is in my opinion of the the best schedules in the SLC with away games at TxSt and SFA (SFA is practically a home game and the last few years the away team always does better in the TxSt vs MSU series) they also have UCA, SLU and Northwestern State at home. Also like UCA, MSU has a winning tradition and all that entails. so it wouldn't surprise me if they win the SLC title for the Nth time this year.

6. Northwestern State - The demons have never lacked for talent. Coaching, team chemistry have always been their problem, however with the new coach coming in and bringing all this exitement, I really think that they could make a serious run for the SLC title. Potential pitfall- Their schedule: the first six games are like this: @Houston (FBS) @Grambling, North Dakota,@Baylor, @McNeese, TxSt. Its a tough schedule that could leave the demons reeling as they enter SLC play at MSU.

7. Sam Houston State - Another school that lost their starting QB. While the bearkats will have a solid rushing game, SHSU always has done badly when they couldn't line up a solid QB transfer. keeping up a theme for SLC defenses, I see the defense improving, but only from bad to average.

8. Nicholls State - Until the colonels find that next QB who is like a magician running the option, they'll find themselves in last place. With that said this is the game I fear the most as a TxSt fan. I can't remember the last time we won in Thibodeaux.

TexasTerror
July 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
txstatebobcat - putting himself out there! SLU at #2, SFA at #3 and NWST at #6!

While I am sure many disagree with those three and how it shook up UCA, McNeese - you at least did a great job with the commentary. Keep it up and keep contributing!

mikebigg
July 27th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Good luck to all of yall, but I'm hoping that Northwestern wins the conference. Several reasons... I had two cousins and some homeboys who played there in the 70's - 80's. And because Grambling plays them this year... I think this can be a good rivalry game due to proximity (about 73 miles).

txstatebobcat
July 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM
txstatebobcat - putting himself out there! SLU at #2, SFA at #3 and NWST at #6!

While I am sure many disagree with those three and how it shook up UCA, McNeese - you at least did a great job with the commentary. Keep it up and keep contributing!

Thanks for the complement. Last night was the first time I really looked somewhat in depth as to what the other SLC schools have coming back this year. The only thing that I came up with is that things are quite a bit murky at this time and that offenses will still rule this upcoming season. With that in mind all I did was come up with who, in my opinion, will have the best offenses this coming year.

TexasTerror
July 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Good luck to all of yall, but I'm hoping that Northwestern wins the conference. Several reasons... I had two cousins and some homeboys who played there in the 70's - 80's. And because Grambling plays them this year... I think this can be a good rivalry game due to proximity (about 73 miles).

Yep, Grambling plays them this year and if the Demons end up being good in SLC play, it makes your win or loss look better... ;)

That game is circled on many calendars! xrulesx

cajundemon
July 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM
1. TxSt - With everything taken into account (O-line, QB, RBs, WRs (WRs are a weak link in this offense, but are very talented) bobcats will have one of the best offenses in the nation this coming year. The defense will be average at best, which is still a vast improvement over last year. Potential pitfall - TxSt is not used to having a target in their back. One thing the 2006 and 2008 teams have in common is that both those years, the bobcats were picked towards the bottom of the rankings. In 2007 the bobcats were picked near the top of the rankings, and ended up with a losing season. With that said, the 2009 team is quite a bit more talented than the 2007 team.

2. SLU - always a dark horse in the SLC, and I think the year has finally come where they will finally make good on that title. They have a combination of a good offense and a good defense which will be rare in a conference where most teams will a good offense but bad defense and vice versa. Pitfalls: Schedule- after two easy games, the lions will have a rough time @OleMiss, @South Dakota @TxSt before going back home vs Sam Houston St. They also have McNeese St and Northwestern St as away games.

3. SFA- The Jacks have a ton of veteran players coming back for 2009. Granted they were a bad team last year, but experience is never bad. They are along the same lines as TxSt in that they will have a great offense, and improved defense (still bad, but better than last year). They will still have to outscore most of their opponents, but this time at least the defense will be keeping things more under control. Pitfalls: getting out of that losing mentality can be a challenge, if they come out of the gates with a win or at least a good showing vs SMU then we will know they will be a contender, otherwise I made a very bad pick for #3.

4.UCA - everybody mentions how the 2009 bears will react to losing Brown. This is all true, but they also have problems with their O-line which won't bode very well for the offense. The bears had one of the best defenses in the SLC last year and will only be better this year. Also they have a favorable schedule with TxSt and SFA both going to Conway this year. Positives for UCA- UCA is the Opposite of SFA in that they have that winning tradition, they don't fold under pressure. That is to say that the much needed fumble or interception recoveries or third-and-long catch will be made. Even though I think this is a rebuilding year for the bears, it wouldn't surprise me to see UCA become the unofficial conference champs once again.

5. McNeese State- Cowboy fans say this is a rebuilding year, but their offense includes a Payton award candidate and one of the best returning QBs in the league. However they have huge questions about their O-line that need to be answered before they should be considered to be contenders for the SLC crown. MSU also had a bad defense last year and while I expect them to be better, the cowboy defense will only be average at best. The cowboys do have what is in my opinion of the the best schedules in the SLC with away games at TxSt and SFA (SFA is practically a home game and the last few years the away team always does better in the TxSt vs MSU series) they also have UCA, SLU and Northwestern State at home. Also like UCA, MSU has a winning tradition and all that entails. so it wouldn't surprise me if they win the SLC title for the Nth time this year.

6. Northwestern State - The demons have never lacked for talent. Coaching, team chemistry have always been their problem, however with the new coach coming in and bringing all this exitement, I really think that they could make a serious run for the SLC title. Potential pitfall- Their schedule: the first six games are like this: @Houston (FBS) @Grambling, North Dakota,@Baylor, @McNeese, TxSt. Its a tough schedule that could leave the demons reeling as they enter SLC play at MSU.

7. Sam Houston State - Another school that lost their starting QB. While the bearkats will have a solid rushing game, SHSU always has done badly when they couldn't line up a solid QB transfer. keeping up a theme for SLC defenses, I see the defense improving, but only from bad to average.

8. Nicholls State - Until the colonels find that next QB who is like a magician running the option, they'll find themselves in last place. With that said this is the game I fear the most as a TxSt fan. I can't remember the last time we won in Thibodeaux.

Good analysis -- Hate to say it but its true, we've turned into an offense dominated league. Only makes sense to have teams with the best offenses on top. I dont see SLU coming in second, and us finishing 6th, but certainly wouldn't be surprised.

txstatebobcat
July 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Good analysis -- Hate to say it but its true, we've turned into an offense dominated league. Only makes sense to have teams with the best offenses on top. I dont see SLU coming in second, and us finishing 6th, but certainly wouldn't be surprised.

thanks, I actually had you guys in second place while writing this. then I saw the demon's schedule. While its always cool to play great teams, I think two things will happen, you either get clobbered or you play up to their level which sounds great in theory, but leads to exhaustion as the season progresses.

Dallas Demon
July 27th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Mike, who were your cousins/homeboys who played at Northwestern in the 70s? I might just know them. This could be a great rivalry, I hope it is renewed every year.

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Mike, who were your cousins/homeboys who played at Northwestern in the 70s? I might just know them. This could be a great rivalry, I hope it is renewed every year.

Doubt the rivalry is renewed yearly.

Grambling is stuck to the SWAC's nine-game mandate. One FBS game. One FCS game (i.e. SWAC/MEAC Challenge).

BobcatJH
July 28th, 2009, 09:38 AM
1) Texas State (Homer Pick)
2) Northwestern State
3) McNeese State
4) Central Arkansas
5) Sam Houston (Darkhorse)
6) Southeastern Louisiana
7) Nicholls State
8) SFA

I was tempted to pick Northwestern State #1 because I believe they are the most balanced team in the conference. I also think Northwestern State has a pretty favorable conference schedule.

Texas State is fortunate to get McNeese State at home this season. Our schedule shakes up pretty well relative to the rest of the contenders. We get 4 home games, and one of our road games (UCA) is meaningless from a standings perspective.

Sam Houston will be a bit better than everyone thinks. The big question Sam Houston will be the QB position. I got to see Bomar in person at the Sam game last year, and that guy was a beast. I still contend that if they go for 2 at the end of regulation, Northwestern State goes to Montana.

UCA will be solid again, but will not be the same team as last season. It is sad that these guys were not playoff eligible last year. They were without a doubt the best team in the conference. UCA seemed to be the only team that could play any freaking defense. I think they would have won a couple games in the playoffs had they been eligible.

SFA has a stud QB, but they had the worst defense I have ever seen last year. They made our rag tag defense look like the 85 Bears. I cannot pick these guys any higher until I see something from the on that side of the ball.

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Sam Houston will be a bit better than everyone thinks. The big question Sam Houston will be the QB position. I got to see Bomar in person at the Sam game last year, and that guy was a beast. I still contend that if they go for 2 at the end of regulation, Northwestern State goes to Montana.

Nice perspective!

I think no one really knows what to expect from Sam. You know we have the best RB depth in the league and have typically had one of the best offenses in the league. We'll see if that holds true to form, but we do not know who will be our QB!

Defense will be interesting. Chris Brown will be playing to make himself reach the next level and we'll have Stoker, which is a wildcard.

More emphasis on special teams, which cost us at least one, if not two games.

BobcatJH
July 28th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Nice perspective!

I think no one really knows what to expect from Sam. You know we have the best RB depth in the league and have typically had one of the best offenses in the league.

I was very impressed with James Aston last season.

I think this conference is wide open again. Texas State has too many questions on the defensive side of the ball to call them an overwhelming favorite. We also lost one of the best place kickers in the fcs.

Bottom line, I expect another crazy year in the SLC in 09.

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Bottom line, I expect another crazy year in the SLC in 09.

If it wasn't, what would we have to look forward to? Heck, even the Demons think they have a shot! xwhistlex

Just have to throw that in, because the belief is I hate them and they prefer that I provide evidence towards that notion in their head.

NSUDemon98
July 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Heck, even the Demons think they have a shot! xwhistlex

Just have to throw that in, because the belief is I hate them and they prefer that I provide evidence towards that notion in their head.

Not as "out there" as some thoughts...

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
While you I gave my predicted order of finish, this is what I am guessing the pundits (coaches and SIDs) will have for us tomorrow...

1. Texas State University - San Marcos
2. McNeese State
3. Northwestern State
4. Central Arkansas
5. Southeastern Louisiana
6. Stephen F. Austin
7. Sam Houston State
8. Nicholls State

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2009, 05:25 PM
While you I gave my predicted order of finish, this is what I am guessing the pundits (coaches and SIDs) will have for us tomorrow...

1. Texas State University - San Marcos
2. McNeese State
3. Northwestern State
4. Central Arkansas
5. Southeastern Louisiana
6. Stephen F. Austin
7. Sam Houston State
8. Nicholls State

Coaches will have us last.

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Coaches will have us last.

I would be really surprised to see that. Your defense is very strong and it's hard to say anything poorly about your offense. Jay Lucas was not the game-changing running back that a few others (i.e. Pendland and Bush) are.

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I would be really surprised to see that. Your defense is very strong and it's hard to say anything poorly about your offense. Jay Lucas was not the game-changing running back that a few others (i.e. Pendland and Bush) are.

I'm confident we won't finish last, but not surprised in the least bit that we'll be picked last by the coaches...I'll leave it at that.

Dallas Demon
July 29th, 2009, 02:43 AM
If it wasn't, what would we have to look forward to? Heck, even the Demons think they have a shot! xwhistlex

Just waiting on you to provide evidence that you DON'T hate us... xrulesx

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM
According to a post by "Zem" on the McNeese board the situation with respect to experience is this:

"Returning Starters: SFA(20), UCA(16), Northwestern(15),SLU(15), Texas State(14), Nicholls(10), Sam Houston(10), McNeese(8)."

If that's correct McNeese is on the short end of the experience stick. Totally understandable that the Cowboys wouldn't be one of the favorites. It'll be fun to see if they can exceed expectations. Plenty of opportunity to see early on if they've got anything as they'll play at Appalachian State and Tulane before the conference slate starts.

mikebigg
July 30th, 2009, 06:25 AM

Two cousins (maternal side) were U.L. Finister (4 yr starter at LB) from 1975-1978, his younger brother Carlton (2yr starter at RB) who played from 1978-1982, and friend Timothy Jordan (NG) who walked on and played 1978-1980 or so.

Another cousin (paternal) Ernest Smith signed with NWST as a freshman and played at lb and specialty teams before transferring to ULM (around 1980) and finishing there.