The Gadfly
July 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM
- Stony Brook over Hofstra

- Coastal over Towson

- JMU over VMI

- Richmond over VMI

- UMass over Stony Brook

- JMU over Liberty

2 out of 6 is a fair count, give or take.

Seawolf97
July 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM
- Stony Brook over Hofstra

- Coastal over Towson

- JMU over VMI

- Richmond over VMI

- UMass over Stony Brook

- JMU over Liberty

2 out of 6 is a fair count, give or take.

I hope we make a better showing at UMass than we did last time we played them. We got pounded I think 48-7 was the final. We did lead for the first 4 minutes 7 -0 though. We better beat Hofstra this year we have no excuses.

GannonFan
July 24th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Big South will get the win against Towson (they really stink this year) - that's it though.

Uncle Buck
July 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
We better beat Hofstra this year we have no excuses.

I'm not saying, but just saying, if you lost 43-3 to a bad HU team last year, what makes you think you better beat them this year, no excuses? HU returns a bunch on both sides of the ball as well. Are we that bad? Is SBU that much better?

Didn't have my first cup of xcoffeex yet, so forgive me if i my questions come across as arrogant.

JMU Newbill
July 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yea... I think the coastal game is a given..... but I don't see hofstra losing to stonybrook.

kdinva
July 25th, 2009, 11:55 AM
While VMI may not defeat either JMU or U of R in 2009, they won't lose by 25+ either.

gobluehose1
July 25th, 2009, 12:26 PM
can we count PC vs. ODU this year.......I know they aren't CAA till next year but still.

I have no idea what to expect from them.....hopefully in 15 yrs. when they are in the ACC I can say, "we beat ODU back in the day when they were FCS."

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 25th, 2009, 03:29 PM
While VMI may not defeat either JMU or U of R in 2009, they won't lose by 25+ either.

Care to wager?

Monarch Nation
July 25th, 2009, 03:56 PM
can we count PC vs. ODU this year.......I know they aren't CAA till next year but still.

I have no idea what to expect from them.....hopefully in 15 yrs. when they are in the ACC I can say, "we beat ODU back in the day when they were FCS."

Two years, CAA in 2011.

ACC? Man who do you think we are, Ga. State?? xlolx

LacesOut
July 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not saying, but just saying, if you lost 43-3 to a bad HU team last year, what makes you think you better beat them this year, no excuses? HU returns a bunch on both sides of the ball as well. Are we that bad? Is SBU that much better?

This.

LOL and no UB, your questions are not arrogant. HU ain't losing that game.

Uncle Buck
July 25th, 2009, 05:04 PM
This.

LOL and no UB, your questions are not arrogant. HU ain't losing that game.

I do know that Stony Brook will be gunning for HU and they better not take the guys to the east to lightly. I just feel like HU dealt with a lot of injuries last year and they have a lot of experience coming back.

While I don't guarantee anything, i like our chances in this game and i think it will be important for recruiting and confidence that HU comes out and wins convincingly.

JMU Newbill
July 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM

The only way they won't lose by 25+ to both JMU and UR is if there is a monsoon, the third string for UR/JMU is in at halftime, jesus christ himself lines up at QB for VMI, Obama plays middle linebacker, and VMI is allowed to carry guns onto the field. Even still, I like UR and JMU by 10 given all those circumstances.

ur2k
July 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Care to wager?

You can also place some action on the following question - will VMI have more points or passing yards? Last year it was 16 points and zero passing yards.

kdinva
July 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
You can also place some action on the following question - will VMI have more points or passing yards? Last year it was 16 points and zero passing yards.
I promise you that VMI will have more of each come 9/26. Don't be shocked if the net passing yards approaches 200xthumbsupx

jmufan999
July 26th, 2009, 01:10 PM

i'll go on record as saying they'll lose to both teams by 25+.

ur2k
July 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I promise you that VMI will have more of each come 9/26. Don't be shocked if the net passing yards approaches 200xthumbsupx

I would be shocked. What's going to be different this year? You seem pretty high on your guys - tell us why.

kdinva
July 26th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I would be shocked. What's going to be different this year? You seem pretty high on your guys - tell us why.

18 returning starters, including all of our (two-deep) offensive skill folks (VMI will throw the ball at least 18 times per game, we believe, with Hughes and Morgan at QB w/Maypray)xnodx. Lost about only 6 others on the two-deep from the final game of 2008. Gotta replace the kicker, too. Coach did some position shifting on defense; moving players to places to where they could make plays (OLB to DE, SS to OLB, FS to CB, OLB to ILB, etc.). Plus, only one change on the coaching staff (lost on RE asst. replaced with a grad of U. South Fla.). Recruiting class reportedly very athleticxcoffeex (even the linemen). We can't wait!:)

Good luck at Duke, and their new (offensive-minded) staff.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 26th, 2009, 05:07 PM
18 returning starters, including all of our (two-deep) offensive skill folks (VMI will throw the ball at least 18 times per game, we believe, with Hughes and Morgan at QB w/Maypray)xnodx. Lost about only 6 others on the two-deep from the final game of 2008. Gotta replace the kicker, too. Coach did some position shifting on defense; moving players to places to where they could make plays (OLB to DE, SS to OLB, FS to CB, OLB to ILB, etc.). Plus, only one change on the coaching staff (lost on RE asst. replaced with a grad of U. South Fla.). Recruiting class reportedly very athleticxcoffeex (even the linemen). We can't wait!:)

Good luck at Duke, and their new (offensive-minded) staff.

You are aware that we beat VMI by 40 in Lexington last year and we only lost about half dozen players from last year, right?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Keydets find some success, and its clear that they are showing improvement ... but ... are you willing to bet that neither Richmond or JMU would beat you by 25 or moe?

kdinva
July 26th, 2009, 06:18 PM
You are aware that we beat VMI by 40 in Lexington last year and we only lost about half dozen players from last year, right?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the Keydets find some success, and its clear that they are showing improvement ... but ... are you willing to bet that neither Richmond or JMU would beat you by 25 or moe?
Yes, I am confident in both games, while we may not win, neither team will be able to put in their third-teamers, at least. 38-20; 41-21 type games, no worse. Maybe; one will be a 34-23 style;).

The Gadfly
July 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Wow. Check out the heads on the CAA. You guys are even more cocky than the SoCon. I like it. I will be pulling for my BS comrads to not only beat this spread, but to shut these guys up and beat'em.

SIDE NOTE: with 40 schools soon to be playing football in the CAA, would it hurt to add 1 or2 more?

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Wow. Check out the heads on the CAA. You guys are even more cocky than the SoCon. I like it. I will be pulling for my BS comrads to not only beat this spread, but to shut these guys up and beat'em.

SIDE NOTE: with 40 schools soon to be playing football in the CAA, would it hurt to add 1 or2 more?

Lets be honest here. What Big South performance against the CAA would keep CAA fans from getting a big head?

Which of the games that you listed do you think the Big South will win? Which ones do you think will be within 2 scores?

Saint3333
July 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM
The SoCon and the CAA compared to the Big South is like the SEC and ACC vs. the MAC. There is a sizeable gap between the programs in the respective conferences.

tribe_pride
July 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Last year against the CAA, VMI lost 52-17 at WM and 56-16 at home to Richmond. Both VMI games (Richmond and JMU) are at the CAA schools this year. Assuming VMI will lose by 25+ to both CAA teams this year is not hard.

Stony Brook lost to Hofstra 41-3 at Stony Brook last year. It is a safe assumption that Hofstra should beat Stony Brook this year at Hofstra and UMass is better than Hofstra so UMass should beat Stony Brook too at UMass.

We are all conceding Towson losing Coastal.

JMU should beat Liberty

If you want to count ODU, ODU should lose to both PC and VMI this year pretty easily.

BigSouthFB
July 26th, 2009, 09:12 PM
The SoCon and the CAA compared to the Big South is like the SEC and ACC vs. the MAC. There is a sizeable gap between the programs in the respective conferences.

While I don't completely disagree on that principle. you don't want to say that to loud around the Elon guys last year losing a big one to LU.

Saint3333
July 26th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I don't mean to say it can't happen by any means, just that the winning percentage is likely similar.

kirkblitz
July 27th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Yea... I think the coastal game is a given.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Dukie95
July 27th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Coastal over Towson is the only W on that list.

Where can I get in on the VMI won't lose by 25+ to both UR and JMU action?

What's a good over/under for both games? 36? Higher?

andy7171
July 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM
We are all conceding Towson losing Coastal.

xsmhx

jmufan999
July 27th, 2009, 08:45 AM

have you looked at the history of CAA vs. Big South games?

ok, if you're so confident, throw out a score. WE'RE going out on a limb (aka, not being afraid of making predictions), so instead of thinking we're being cocky, throw out a score. we'll come back to it after the games.

but you won't. i GUARANTEE you won't post a score, you'll say something like "no i'm not wagering anything, i just think you're being cocky." and again, you won't post a score. because you don't want us to come back and say "i told ya so". but we're at least confident enough about it to go out on a limb.

and again, those games will be in the CAA's favor by 25+. it's not cocky, it's called a proven track record of dominance over a few teams, NOT every team in the country. don't be so damn sensitive.

Dukie95
July 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Since 2002, VMI has played the three VA CAA schools 15 times. The average score of those games is 44-13.

In 2003, however, VMI came closest
Lost 35-25 to 5-5 W&M and
Lost 34-24 to 2-9 UR

tribe_pride
July 27th, 2009, 10:08 AM
xsmhx

Sorry Andy. I was trying to throw him a bone.

GridFan
July 27th, 2009, 10:20 AM
G-W is 1-0 vs. the CAA/A-10 by virtue of its 38-35 win at UNH back in 2000. That was prior to the Big South's football debut, however. So can't count that one.

Redwyn
July 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM

ok, if you're so confident, throw out a score. WE'RE going out on a limb (aka, not being afraid of making predictions), so instead of thinking we're being cocky, throw out a score. we'll come back to it after the games.

but you won't. i GUARANTEE you won't post a score, you'll say something like "no i'm not wagering anything, i just think you're being cocky." and again, you won't post a score. because you don't want us to come back and say "i told ya so". but we're at least confident enough about it to go out on a limb.

and again, those games will be in the CAA's favor by 25+. it's not cocky, it's called a proven track record of dominance over a few teams, NOT every team in the country. don't be so damn sensitive.

SBU has a couple of wins and near misses (Homecoming vs. Maine in 2007 comes to mind). Personally I see neither game going our way. Stony Brook usually has a clearcut policy: If we've heard of you, we're likely going to lose. Until I see that change in Football (its begun with Lacrosse) on a regular basis, U Mass and Hofstra have W's to bet on.

Then again, isn't this why we joined the Big South? It's not because SBU fits the Big South demographic. It was a union of necessity. Big South needed the autobid and SBU needed the lack of scholly cap. It'll be a good transition for us, and its given us a taste of what it's like to be in contention for multiple years in a row. Best of all, given my earlier statement, Big South schools (with the slight exception of Liberty) are not well known in NY. Thus - a chance at winning!

That being said, I can't wait for the season to start, and am DEF going to Hofstra for opening day! Prove me wrong Seawolves!

The Gadfly
July 27th, 2009, 12:04 PM

WOW . . . did I hit a nerve or what!?! xlolx

Who said being cocky was bad? Did you not read the side note? I want Coastal to be in the best conference: CAA, however, we're in the BS and I'm just giving some confidence boost to my fellow BS'ers. And what's with this "post a score" stuff? Are you kidding me? YES, I will be pulling for the BS teams to beat the CAA teams. If you need a score to CHILL YOU THE F OUT, then here you go:

JMU 2 - VMI 87 xnutsx

Come back and tell me whatever you want after the final . . . wow xeyebrowx

andy7171
July 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
JMU 2 - VMI 87 xnutsx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx I'll be rooting for VMI that day fo sizzle! xthumbsupx

jmufan999
July 27th, 2009, 12:39 PM
WOW . . . did I hit a nerve or what!?! xlolx

Who said being cocky was bad? Did you not read the side note? I want Coastal to be in the best conference: CAA, however, we're in the BS and I'm just giving some confidence boost to my fellow BS'ers. And what's with this "post a score" stuff? Are you kidding me? YES, I will be pulling for the BS teams to beat the CAA teams. If you need a score to CHILL YOU THE F OUT, then here you go:

JMU 2 - VMI 87 xnutsx

Come back and tell me whatever you want after the final . . . wow xeyebrowx

ok, so you've got VMI -85 in that game. i've got JMU at -25 or better. got it jotted down.

Uncle Buck
July 27th, 2009, 12:46 PM
xsmhx

I'll give Towson some love. I think you get the W.

Oh, and we're better than UMass this year IMO. xthumbsupx

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 27th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I will take Towson over Coastal also. If the game is contested on Richmond's bye week, I may even travel up to Maryland to support the Tigers!

The Gadfly
July 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
ok, so you've got VMI -85 in that game. i've got JMU at -25 or better. got it jotted down.

xthumbsupx

As for Coastal going down to Towson . . . I'm PULLING FOR Coastal, but if I were to be betting I would would bet on Towson. Then again, I don't bet. xcoffeex

Bettina90
July 27th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Yes, I am confident in both games, while we may not win, neither team will be able to put in their third-teamers, at least. 38-20; 41-21 type games, no worse. Maybe; one will be a 34-23 style;).

I just don't understand VMI in any way, shape, or form. Why someone would go there, cheer for them, etc. Sorry, don't mean it as offensive and feel free to enlighten me. You have no shot at any women on campus, you are not winning any hearts academically, you have horrible discipline to adhere to, and the sports teams are awful.

I mean, if you don't get into West Point or Navy, and get your education paid for, why not just give up the ship?

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I just don't understand VMI in any way, shape, or form. Why someone would go there, cheer for them, etc. Sorry, don't mean it as offensive and feel free to enlighten me. You have no shot at any women on campus, you are not winning any hearts academically, you have horrible discipline to adhere to, and the sports teams are awful.

I mean, if you don't get into West Point or Navy, and get your education paid for, why not just give up the ship?

....They're pretty exceptional in basketball and rifle....not half bad in baseball either. I have faith in their football, though I imagine they fall prey to military mandated conditioning so may not have the O/D lines that other schools have. Sprint football would probably go over pretty well here.

VMI looks like a pretty nice place, and with military schools you get a guaranteed good education and the resume boost of actually being able to take orders. I actually can't find much wrong with that.

As for women, I've found with my friends at Annapolis and West Point that it's not about the girls in the academy, it's about the girls at the small liberal arts schools arounddddd the academy :). Remember, even Oxford and Cambridge were men's only till 100 years ago and they found students (who found women!)

andy7171
July 28th, 2009, 07:07 AM

Pretty sure when you graduate from a VMI or Citadel, you are a commissioned officer, or on the fast track to becoming one.

bigred
July 28th, 2009, 07:50 AM

Feel free to educate yourself a little bit.

http://www2.vmi.edu/dontdoordinary/

It definitely is not for everyone. I for one did not make my college choice based on women on "campus" or for the prowess of the sports teams. I believe that the overall education (academics is only part of it) that you receive at VMI is second to none in the state.

jcmanson
July 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
....They're pretty exceptional in basketball and rifle....

Exceptional in basketball??? Must not take much to be exceptional these days.

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 08:18 AM

#2 in the Big South to a ranked team.......

bigred
July 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Maybe not exceptional...just better than the Flames.

89Hen
July 28th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I think I'd take that bet.

Bull Fan
July 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Stony Brook lost to Hofstra 41-3 at Stony Brook last year. It is a safe assumption that Hofstra should beat Stony Brook this year at Hofstra and UMass is better than Hofstra so UMass should beat Stony Brook too at UMass.

New coach, new QB. I'd reserve my enthusiasm for UMass this year.

Hofstra over both Stony Brook (in a wood shed beating) and UMass.

tribe_pride
July 28th, 2009, 10:37 AM
#2 in the Big South to a ranked team.......

When was Radford ranked?

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
When was Radford ranked?

It was getting votes mid-season or so, though I don't think it ever got a number. I have no idea why I even looked, but something made me wonder how the Big South does in other sports.....

jcmanson
July 28th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Maybe not exceptional...just better than the Flames.

Seriously?! You finished ahead of us ONCE in the 7 seasons since you've rejoined the Big South.

LU is 61-47 in conference play since 2003. VMI is 36-72 during that same time period.

We've been to the Big Dance twice in our approximately 20 year DI history. VMI has been 3 times since 1964 and all 3 of those times were before 1980.

Yeah, you're right VMI is better than LU. xlolx

Redwyn
July 28th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Seriously?! You finished ahead of us ONCE in the 7 seasons since you've rejoined the Big South.

LU is 61-47 in conference play since 2003. VMI is 36-72 during that same time period.

We've been to the Big Dance twice in our approximately 20 year DI history. VMI has been 3 times since 1964 and all 3 of those times were before 1980.

Ahh, but we're the FCS and the Big South. It's not about pedigree, it's about the present. They don't give Super Bowl rings to the team that won it 40 years ago xsmiley_wix

bjtheflamesfan
July 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I think LU and JMU is going to be a very good game. LU probably has this one circled on the calendar in the locker room as the major statement game of the year. I actually have LU upsetting JMU by a TD. The rest...I'll get back to you guys on that one

kdinva
July 28th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Ahhh, finally one of the anti-military UR alums speaks out. Maybe this whole damn country needs some VMI/Citadel/USMA disciplinexnodx.

We've beaten you 3 of the last 4 times in basketball. You beat us in baseball in March (snapping a 9-game winning streak by VMI).

Lots of VMI cadets are on 100% ROTC scholarships (education paid for)xthumbsupx.

We are most always ranked in the top-8 by U.S. News for top public liberal arts colleges nationwide (The Citadel is there, too).

We'll show up on the 26th of Sept.xnodx

And, in about 12 months, our FB stadium will be bigger than yours (asthetics don't count here).

bigred
July 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM

I am glad we can agree.

kdinva
July 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM

109-72 in Lynchburg.
That's when McKay started reading the NCAA want-ads.

After LU won the game in Lexington, Duggar just rolled up his sleeves, and prepared for the next game.

VMI did have one underclassman leave the team over Summer (disciplinary move.....geez, there is that "D" word again!), y'all had four leave for various reasons.

jcmanson
July 28th, 2009, 01:08 PM
109-72 in Lynchburg.
That's when McKay started reading the NCAA want-ads.

After LU won the game in Lexington, Duggar just rolled up his sleeves, and prepared for the next game.

VMI did have one underclassman leave the team over Summer (disciplinary move.....geez, there is that "D" word again!), y'all had four leave for various reasons.

I already gave you guys 2008-09. You were better than us, there's no denying that. Since 2002-03 LU has been the better team overall, there's no denying that. The verdict is still out on 2009-10, and I don't think either team is in the position to be gloating.

Libertine
July 28th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Just so I'm clear, you guys are arguing basketball?

kdinva
July 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
You noticedxlolx..............no more, it's football seasonxthumbsupx

GannonFan
July 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM

And not only that but, according to kenpom.com, an argument over what he rated as the 186th and the 210th best teams in the country last year. Heck, Delaware basketball was in that range and no one talks about that for a very good reason. xnodx

ASU
July 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I do have a lot of respect for the service academies and the service schools. I used to think I could do it when I was young.....but it would not be pleasant. Kind of like NYC.....if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. My son is a Marine. I wish he had had four years at The Citadel or VMI before he went in.
Whenever you think VMI is a gimme game in football, remember a few years ago when we were undefeated the whole year.....had our last game of the year at VMI. They had a terrible record for the year. That's right, you guessed it.
Same goes for The Citadel.....their beating Arkansas a few years ago shows you what to expect. Truthfully, I wish VMI had never left the SoCon.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Ahhh, finally one of the anti-military UR alums speaks out. Maybe this whole damn country needs some VMI/Citadel/USMA disciplinexnodx.

We've beaten you 3 of the last 4 times in basketball. You beat us in baseball in March (snapping a 9-game winning streak by VMI).

Lots of VMI cadets are on 100% ROTC scholarships (education paid for)xthumbsupx.

We are most always ranked in the top-8 by U.S. News for top public liberal arts colleges nationwide (The Citadel is there, too).

We'll show up on the 26th of Sept.xnodx

And, in about 12 months, our FB stadium will be bigger than yours (asthetics don't count here).

So you know, Bettina speaks for none of the rest of us. Ribbing about the result in the football game aside, I have plenty of respect for VMI and VMI graduates. xbowx

kirkblitz
July 28th, 2009, 11:32 PM
big south > CAA

kdinva
July 29th, 2009, 05:46 AM
So you know, Bettina speaks for none of the rest of us. Ribbing about the result in the football game aside, I have plenty of respect for VMI and VMI graduates. xbowx
Thanks (every school has one or two "enthusiastic" alums).........I know a few UR folks, too. Good people.:)

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
big south > CAA
In women's golf. xnodx

JMU Newbill
July 29th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I think LU and JMU is going to be a very good game. LU probably has this one circled on the calendar in the locker room as the major statement game of the year. I actually have LU upsetting JMU by a TD. The rest...I'll get back to you guys on that one

I agree it will be a good game. I am looking forward to dropping by the T-room for a cheesy in a bowl.