PDA

View Full Version : 2009 CAA Football Media Day

WRHUSports 88.7
July 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Wednesday morning, we'll speak with all twelve Head Coaches, as well as CAA Commissioner Tom Yeager, between 10-12:30. Mike Leslie, Jon Lauder, Christian Heimall, and Mitch Merman will bring you all the action, live from the ESPNZone, in Baltimore, MD.

Then, if you've missed some of the show, tune in from 12:30-1 for the CAA Football Media Day Rewind. Casey Viera will bring you through a number of interview replays, so you can catch the parts you've missed.

CAA Football Media Day -- Wednesday, July 29th, from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.

THE ONLY PLACE YOU CAN HEAR IT LIVE IS WRHU. 88.7 FM, AND WORLDWIDE, AT WRHU.ORG

http://www.wrhu.org

WRHUSports 88.7
July 26th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Just a few days away... be sure to tune in.

WRHUSports 88.7
July 28th, 2009, 08:25 PM
One day away

jmufan999
July 28th, 2009, 08:55 PM
the CAA is totally overrated.

Husky Alum
July 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Northeastern will be picked last in the North. You heard it hear first.

I know I'm really going out on a limb, but that way we can exceed expectations.

:D

Dukie95
July 29th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Lots of videos posted to the CAAFootball channel on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CAAFootball

You can also follow @The_CAAFootball on twitter and tag #caafb

andy7171
July 29th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Anyone coming to this? I'd go, but my oldest is having her 8th birthday party at the pool and I'm helping out(swimming and splashing).

Dukie95
July 29th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
RJ Toman - QB - UNH

Preaseason Offensive Team
Tony Nelson - RB - UMass
Jonathan Grimes - RB -W&M
Jared Turcotte - FB - Maine
Victor Cruz - WR - UMass
Kevin Grayson - WR - UR
Matt Szczur - RW - Nova
Scott Sicko - TE - UNH
Dorian Brooks - OL - JMU
Vladimir Ducasse - OL - UMass
Ben Ijalana - OL - Nova
Matt McCracken - OL - UR
Michael Silva - OL - UR
Brian Pate - PK - W&M
Scotty McGee - RS - JMU

Dukie95
July 29th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Preseason Defensive Players of the Year
Eric McBride - LB - UR
Adrian Tracy - DL - W&M

Preseason Defensive Team
Tim Kukucka - DL - Nova
Matt Marcorelle - DL - UD
Arthur Moats - DL - JMU
Luke Bonus - LB - Hofstra
Josh Jennings - LB - UMass
Osayi Osunde - LB - Nova
Charles Graves - S - UD
Jeromy Miles - S - UMass
Justin Rogers - CB - UR
Dino Vasso - CB - UNH
David Miller - P - W&M

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Anyone coming to this? I'd go, but my oldest is having her 8th birthday party at the pool and I'm helping out(swimming and splashing).
Andy I was headed up two years ago but at the last minute found out it is NOT open to the public. For you the 100 yard walk wouldn't be too disappointing, but the drive back to DC would suck after being turned away.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 08:18 AM
That might be the most stupid thing I've heard. xconfusedx xeyebrowx xconfusedx

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2009, 08:33 AM
That might be the most stupid thing I've heard. xconfusedx xeyebrowx xconfusedx

Huh?

andy7171
July 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Andy I was headed up two years ago but at the last minute found out it is NOT open to the public. For you the 100 yard walk wouldn't be too disappointing, but the drive back to DC would suck after being turned away.

I know people. :D

I remember that now. Me you and DJP/ColHogan were going to meet up for wings and beer.

WRHUSports 88.7
July 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Tune in today, at 10 a.m. 88.7 FM on Long Island, or WRHU.org, if outside the listening area.

Click the "Listen" link on the panel on the left side of the screen.

Hope you all enjoy the show.

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Eric McBride - LB - UR
Adrian Tracy - DL - W&M

Preseason Defensive Team
Tim Kukucka - DL - Nova
Arthur Moats - DL - JMU
Osayi Osunde - LB - Nova
Charles Graves - S - UD
Jeromy Miles - S - UMass
Justin Rogers - CB - UR
Dino Vasso - CB - UNH
David Miller - P - W&M

No DTs selected.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Huh?
Having a "player of the year" before the season ever starts seems completely stupid to me.

JMU Newbill
July 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
No DTs selected.

Yea... I personally think Sam Daniels from JMU is deserving of all-CAA as a DT... but I'm probably a little bit partial.

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Having a "player of the year" before the season ever starts seems completely stupid to me.

No more stupid than picking a preseason all-conference team, or projecting an order of finish for the teams. Nothing wrong with some hype to boost the conference.

wideright82
July 29th, 2009, 09:53 AM
No more stupid than picking a preseason all-conference team, or projecting an order of finish for the teams. Nothing wrong with some hype to boost the conference.

Yeah 89. JEEZE! xlolx

WrenFGun
July 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Way to go RJ! (But wait, Decker's better right!?)

I'm not sure I think Dino Vasso is the best cornerback on our team (I would give that honor to Ryan Hinds), so I'm surprised to see him make All-Conference, but still very happy for him. Both Hinds and Vasso are very good players.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
No more stupid than picking a preseason all-conference team, or projecting an order of finish for the teams.
I view the pre-season all-conf team as a list of players to watch. To announce an MVP type honor is more stupid IMO. xpeacex

GannonFan
July 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I view the pre-season all-conf team as a list of players to watch. To announce an MVP type honor is more stupid IMO. xpeacex

Really, the preseason teams tend to mostly be last year's post season all-conference teams, just with the graduated seniors replaced by guys who were 2nd, 3rd, or honorable mention. Normally not a lot of thought put into these teams. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
July 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
No DTs selected.

And one DE (Marcorelle) will actually play at LB.

bluehenbillk
July 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Surprised no talk about predicted order of finish.

UR and Nova tied, JMU, UD, WM, TU

UNH, UMass, UM, HU, NU, URI

Who the heck picked JMU to repeat, I'm sure some Tribe fans will feel disrespected and Phil Steele didn't get a vote for HU apparently.

GannonFan
July 29th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Who the heck picked JMU to repeat, I'm sure some Tribe fans will feel disrespected and Phil Steele didn't get a vote for HU apparently.

Surprised UMass is that high in the North. Can't argue much about the South, but yes, anyone that voted for JMU over nova or Richmond is a bit silly.

CAAisBOSS
July 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
how is UD over WM and dont use that BS quarterback excuse. all the polls disagree with that order...

ChickenMan
July 29th, 2009, 11:25 AM
how is UD over WM and dont use that BS quarterback excuse. all the polls disagree with that order...

QB isn't an excuse... it's a REASON... ;)

GannonFan
July 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Well, we did go from having absolutely no QB to perhaps having one of the best in the conference. That tends to help one's fortunes a bit, don't you think?

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I'm not going to get in an argument over fourth versus fifth place in the CAA South. Should be good motivation for the players though. South is brutal and about the only thing that is virtually certain is Towson finishing last. There is a disconnect between WM being ranked #12 in the nation, but finishing fifth in the CAA South. One of these predictions is obviously wrong.

Dukie95
July 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Had to have been London or Talley, because they couldn't vote for their own team and didn't want to vote for the other.

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Well, we did go from having absolutely no QB to perhaps having one of the best in the conference. That tends to help one's fortunes a bit, don't you think?

There will only be significant improvement if he has a running game to keep defenses honest, time to throw the ball and proven receivers to get open and catch it. These are all questions that are yet to be ansewered IMO. Now if these are answered in the affirmative, then the sky is the limit with a QB like Devlin, but those are big question marks. Football is the ultimate team sport and the addition of one player, no matter how good, doesn't erase all the other problems with theUD offense last year.

And, while the defense will be helped by a better offense, personnel wise, I think UD's defense is less talented than last year. I also beleive UD lacks depth at several positions, including WR, OL, LB and DL. So, unless UD is extremely lucky with injuries this will also be a concern.

ChickenMan
July 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM
There will only be significant improvement if he has a running game to keep defenses honest, time to throw the ball and proven receivers to get open and catch it. .

Apparently you didn't see very much of the Hen's QB play last year.. it was absolutely horrible and to think that Devlin alone won't be a big plus is wishful thinking. How much the Hens improve will depend on the OL play.. but there is NO doubt that the UD offense will be much more effective in 2009.

JMU Newbill
July 29th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I think the predicted order of finish is pretty spot on.

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Apparently you didn't see very much of the Hen's QB play last year.. it was absolutely horrible and to think that Devlin alone won't be a big plus is wishful thinking. How much the Hens improve will depend on the OL play.. but there is NO doubt that the UD offense will be much more effective in 2009.

I didn't say there wouldn't be any improvement based soley on Delvin,there will be. I just don't see major improvement unless your OL is also improved. It all starts up front and if there is no running game and poor protection, any Qb, no matter how good will be largely ineffective.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 01:28 PM
HU will finish higher than fourth in the North, i think we're improved enough to battle anyone in that half of the conference.

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I agree UB, I see Hofstra finishing in the top three. UNH is still the team to beat, but HU should be in the thick of it with Main and UMass for second in the North Division.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I agree UB, I see Hofstra finishing in the top three. UNH is still the team to beat, but HU should be in the thick of it with Main and UMass for second in the North Division.

I liked what i saw from the freshman QB Probst who stepped in late in the season as well as how a lot of the younger guys came along by season's end. Throw in two tall more traditional looking TE's that can run and catch (something we never had before), and i think our offense is more dynamic and effective. Biggest question mark, defensive front seven has to play tougher, but hopefully some returners and new faces could make an impact.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM
HU should be in the thick of it with Main and UMass for second in the North Division.
Interesting to note that those three are partners in the north (have the same opponents in the south). xeyebrowx

W&M and Nova certainly catch the break this year playing URI and NU.

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Interesting to note that those three are partners in the north (have the same opponents in the south). xeyebrowx

Playing UNH is no break. Clearly better this year than the rest of the North. I have a feeling URI is going to be better this year, as well.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Playing UNH is no break.
No, but missing three solid teams for one good one is.

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM
No, but missing three solid teams for one good one is.

We'll see how solid those three are. They're all question marks to me. Hofstra returns the same team you guys handled last year with the worst Hen offense in history.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 02:17 PM

Nova jumped out at me as having the most favorable schedule or at least one of the most favorable for South teams.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
We'll see how solid those three are. They're all question marks to me. Hofstra returns the same team you guys handled last year with the worst Hen offense in history.
So in your opinion: UNH + URI + NU >= UMass + Maine + Hofstra?

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Eric McBride - LB - UR
Adrian Tracy - DL - W&M

Preseason Defensive Team
Tim Kukucka - DL - Nova
Arthur Moats - DL - JMU
Osayi Osunde - LB - Nova
Charles Graves - S - UD
Jeromy Miles - S - UMass
Justin Rogers - CB - UR
Dino Vasso - CB - UNH
David Miller - P - W&M

No Sam Daniels?xeekx Pre season 1st team AA pick at DT by the Sports Network. Steele had Daniels on his preseason All CAA team. That Pre season team has 4 defensive ends and no defensive tackles. That makes no sense. Its the same thing as last year's All CAA 1st and 2nd team: 8 defensive ends and no defensive tackles. That makes no sense. 1st team (along with any 2nd & 3rd team) should be 2 defensive ends and 2 DTs, or AT LEAST 1 defensive tackle (as every team, even those in a 3-4, start at least one DT/NT. Same goes with any 2nd team and 3rd team. Having no defensive tackles on there would be like having no center or no offensive guards on offesne. xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Yea... I personally think Sam Daniels from JMU is deserving of all-CAA as a DT... but I'm probably a little bit partial.

Ditto. No Daniels on the 1st team is a joke. I posted my above reply before I'd even gotten past page 1 here.

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM
And one DE (Marcorelle) will actually play at LB.

Thats how Phil Steele has it. Macorelle at LB, and Daniels at DT.

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM

God forbid for UD fans if Devlin goes down. I mean, if UD doesn't have anyone who could beat out Schoencrap last season, UD is screwed if Devlin goes down unless they also brought in some talented freshman.

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
So in your opinion: UNH + URI + NU >= UMass + Maine + Hofstra?

Its alot closer than your making it out to be. Margin of victory aside, is it better to go 3-0 versus three average teams or 2-1 versus two poor teams and one great team. If UNH ends up being the only playoff caliber team from north then wouldn't it be better to avoid them and play UMass, Maine and Hofstra? Again, not saying the UNH half is tougher overall, but the advantage is minimal, espeically where it matters most, wins and loses.

Dukie95
July 29th, 2009, 02:53 PM
God forbid for UD fans if Devlin goes down. I mean, if UD doesn't have anyone who could beat out Schoencrap last season, UD is screwed if Devlin goes down unless they also brought in some talented freshman.

Why would a talented freshman QB go to UD? xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
July 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Eh, most teams are screwed if their starting QB gets knocked out. But hey, we kept Hall, Riccio, and Flacco all upright and they started every game so I think we can do the same with Devlin. It'll be nice to see defenses have to actually defend a pass play again after having no threat of completing such a play last year. xnodx

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Eh, most teams are screwed if their starting QB gets knocked out. But hey, we kept Hall, Riccio, and Flacco all upright and they started every game so I think we can do the same with Devlin. It'll be nice to see defenses have to actually defend a pass play again after having no threat of completing such a play last year.

True, but I do seem to recall both UNH and Maine beating UD in recent years with back-up QBs that wereformer HS recruits.

Uncle Buck
July 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM

Last year's HU/UD game was a mash unit. Hard to categorize anything for HU with the amount of injuries and adversity that came our way.

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Eh, most teams are screwed if their starting QB gets knocked out. But hey, we kept Hall, Riccio, and Flacco all upright and they started every game so I think we can do the same with Devlin. It'll be nice to see defenses have to actually defend a pass play again after having no threat of completing such a play last year. xnodx

You better have gotten some new OTs then, or have a big improvement in the ones from last year. For ex I remember in the UD @ JMU game Moats beat the UD right tackle like a drum and blindsided Agnone who fumbled, which was recovered by JMU Abdul Wahid and returned inside the UD 10 setting up JMU's 1st TD. I saw some film of a couple of UDs other games also (W&M sticks out) where at least one of those UD OTs was getting beaten like a drum & bitched slapped around. And UD will face a lot of very good Def ends this year, 3 of those pre season CAA being from CAA South opponents.

Course JMU will have to come up with a right tackle themselves now that last season's starting left guard 6'3" 325 Art Walker who would have taken over for Apted at RT is academically ineligible.

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Its alot closer than your making it out to be. Margin of victory aside, is it better to go 3-0 versus three average teams or 2-1 versus two poor teams and one great team. If UNH ends up being the only playoff caliber team from north then wouldn't it be better to avoid them and play UMass, Maine and Hofstra? Again, not saying the UNH half is tougher overall, but the advantage is minimal, espeically where it matters most, wins and loses.
You're assuming a loss to UNH. They were a playoff team last year... didn't W&M beat them IN Durham?? You went 3-0 vs these same three teams and you get UNH at home this year.

You also cited UD handling Hofstra last year but you fail to mention UMass and Maine > UD. If the Hens had UNH - NU - URI, I think they go 2-1 instead of 1-2 (provided the NU game wasn't at Parsons xoopsx).

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
CAA South last 5 seasons:
04' UD picked 1st, (pre season #1), finished 3rd, lost quarterfinals to W&M. Nova picked 2nd (pre season #5), missed playoffs. W&M picked 3rd, wins South, loses to JMU in semis. JMU picked 4th, finishes 2nd, wins NC.
05' JMU picked 1st, missed playoffs. UR picked 5th, wins South/playoffs
06' UR picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 2nd, wins South/playoffs
07’. JMU picked 1st, finishes 2nd, makes playoffs. UR picked 4th, wins South, playoffs.
08’ UR picked 1st, finishes 3rd, makes playoffs, wins NC. JMU picked 2nd, wins South, loses in semis.

Thats right, the last 5 years the team picked to finish 1st hasn't, and 3 of those 5 hasn't even made the playoffs. Getting picked 1st is like the kiss of death. Kind of like Coulson picking your team to win in a big game. xnodx

So in the last 5 seasons the team who ended up winning the South was picked preseason 3rd, 5th, 2nd, 4th, 2nd.

Basically this just demonstrates that the last 5 seasons when picking the CAA South you could have probably just picked out of a hat or thrown darts for the pre season prediction and done just as well.xcoffeex

89Hen
July 29th, 2009, 05:26 PM
True, but I do seem to recall both UNH and Maine beating UD in recent years with back-up QBs that wereformer HS recruits.
xoopsx The entire conference should be pissed at UD for knocking out Granieri in the first game four years ago. xoopsx

WMTribe90
July 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
You're assuming a loss to UNH. They were a playoff team last year... didn't W&M beat them IN Durham?? You went 3-0 vs these same three teams and you get UNH at home this year.

You also cited UD handling Hofstra last year but you fail to mention UMass and Maine > UD. If the Hens had UNH - NU - URI, I think they go 2-1 instead of 1-2 (provided the NU game wasn't at Parsons ).

I'm not assuming anything really. I was speaking to probabilities. WM has owned UNH, but we are the exception. While the averagestrength of UMass, Hofstra and Maine is likely tougher than the average of UNH, URI and NU. The chances of going 3-0 versus UNH, URI and NU are equal to or less than the probability of going 3-0 versus the other three, when you consider UNH will once again be the dominant team in the north. I bet the south will have similar W-L ratios for both set of opponents, but the margin of victory will be greater for the UNH, URI and NU split. However, the margin of victory is really meaningless compared to wins and loses. This is a good question and we should revisit it at the end of the season when the results are in.

GannonFan
July 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
You better have gotten some new OTs then, or have a big improvement in the ones from last year. For ex I remember in the UD @ JMU game Moats beat the UD right tackle like a drum and blindsided Agnone who fumbled, which was recovered by JMU Abdul Wahid and returned inside the UD 10 setting up JMU's 1st TD. I saw some film of a couple of UDs other games also (W&M sticks out) where at least one of those UD OTs was getting beaten like a drum & bitched slapped around. And UD will face a lot of very good Def ends this year, 3 of those pre season CAA being from CAA South opponents.

Course JMU will have to come up with a right tackle themselves now that last season's starting left guard 6'3" 325 Art Walker who would have taken over for Apted at RT is academically ineligible.

Again, playing defense versus last year's offense can't be compared to playing against this year's offense. Your key name in that post was "Agnone" - UD won't be playing a TE at QB this year, and we go from no QB to one of the best in all of FCS. Playing defense is definitely more challenging when the offense can complete a forward pass. Heck, we all saw last year in the Montana game what happened when a QB could do that against JMU's defense.

Tribe4SF
July 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM

You also cited UD handling Hofstra last year but you fail to mention UMass and Maine > UD. If the Hens had UNH - NU - URI, I think they go 2-1 instead of 1-2 (provided the NU game wasn't at Parsons xoopsx).

Last year it was simple...if you were competitive in the South (JMU, VU, UR, W&M), you went 3-0 against the North no matter who you played. I don't see either UMass or Maine being better than they were last year, and Hofstra needs to be alot better to compete with JMU, UR and UD. New Hampshire looks a little improved to me, and I think URI will surprise people. Against the top 5 in the South, I think only New Hampshire would be favored against any of them.

MR. CHICKEN
July 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Last year it was simple...if you were competitive in the South (JMU, VU, UR, W&M), you went 3-0 against the North no matter who you played. I don't see either UMass or Maine being better than they were last year, and Hofstra needs to be alot better to compete with JMU, UR and UD. New Hampshire looks a little improved to me, and I think URI will surprise people. Against the top 5 in the South, I think only New Hampshire would be favored against any of them.

DISAGREE CHIEF........MAY UPSET SOMEONE.....DURIN' HURRICANE SEASON......BUT NO REASON TA THINK.....THEY'LL SURPRISE......WHIFF SILLY UNIFORMS & NEW COACH.......BOTTOM FEEDERS...IN DUH NORFF.......JES' SAYIN'...xrotatehx...AWK!

BDKJMU
July 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Again, playing defense versus last year's offense can't be compared to playing against this year's offense. Your key name in that post was "Agnone" - UD won't be playing a TE at QB this year, and we go from no QB to one of the best in all of FCS. Playing defense is definitely more challenging when the offense can complete a forward pass. Heck, we all saw last year in the Montana game what happened when a QB with good offensive tackles could do that against JMU's defense.

Fixed it for you.xthumbsupx

89Hen
July 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I'm not assuming anything really. I was speaking to probabilities. WM has owned UNH, but we are the exception.
Villanova also beat UNH. Towson was the lone CAA South win for UNH last year. I think Richmond and JMU would have also beaten UNH.

URI and NU went 0-6 vs Hofstra, UMass and Maine. CLEARLY those three teams are tougher than URI and NU. I don't think you'd argue that.

The only team in question then is UNH. If you're at the top of the CAA South, you are probably going to go 3-0 vs either group. If you are in the middle of the CAA South you have a better chance of going 3-0 or 2-1 vs the UNH, URI, NU group IMO. Delaware showed that last year. As bad as the Hens were, I'm fairly confident they would have been 2-1 vs the other three with UNH being the loss.

GannonFan
July 30th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Fixed it for you.xthumbsupx

Well, except for the fact that those offensive tackles were obliterated the following week when Richmond throroughly abused them. So they looked good against JMU and terrible against Richmond.

Tribe4SF
July 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Well, except for the fact that those offensive tackles were obliterated the following week when Richmond throroughly abused them. So they looked good against JMU and terrible against Richmond.

Easily explained by the presence of Misters Sidbury and Logan on the Richmond DL. Good DEs are difference makers in big games. One of the reasons we're optimistic in Williamsburg is the Tracy, Herbert, Pradhanang and Hyde group we've got coming back.

Wildcat80
July 30th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Congrats UNH and RJ & Scott & Dino.....deserving all!! Now just win Cats!

BDKJMU
July 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Well, except for the fact that those offensive tackles were obliterated the following week when Sidbury throroughly abused them. So they looked good against JMU and terrible against Richmond.

Fixed it for you again.xthumbsupx UR had 7 sacks. As far as UR's de ends vs Montana's OTs, they pretty much handled Logan ok, who had only one solo tackle, one assist, and zero sacks. Sidbury on the other hand abused them and was a one man wrecking crew with 4 sacks.

Tribe4SF
July 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Fixed it for you again.xthumbsupx UR had 7 sacks. As far as UR's de ends vs Montana's OTs, they pretty much handled Logan ok, who had only one solo tackle, one assist, and zero sacks. Sidbury on the other hand abused them and was a one man wrecking crew with 4 sacks.

Logan did a good job against them. He was always close, and left no escape option on his side. Sacks are usually the result of someone getting there, and the rest of the DL maintaining position and containment. Sidbury was tremendous, for sure.

spdram
July 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the kudos for Logan SF -- he was a stud and helped make Sidbury as good as he was.

BDKJMU
July 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM
No. 1 In CAA?
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=39571&CHID=3&sub=

BDKJMU
July 30th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Richmond, Villanova picked to share CAA title
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/CAAF30_20090729-214406/282962/

The article does mention UR as having 18 starters back. I count 5 seniors who started for them last year:
-Lehner at guard (he came in against JMU when Silver (also a senior) went down and I believe started the 2nd half of the season),
-Sidbury
-Logan
-Crone at fullback
-Vaughn at tailback.

22-5= 17 starters returning unless they're counting the kicker or punter.

WrenFGun
July 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
R.J. Touman!

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Richmond, Villanova picked to share CAA title
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/CAAF30_20090729-214406/282962/

The article does mention UR as having 18 starters back. I count 5 seniors who started for them last year:
-Lehner at guard (he came in against JMU when Silver (also a senior) went down and I believe started the 2nd half of the season),
-Sidbury
-Logan
-Crone at fullback
-Vaughn at tailback.

22-5= 17 starters returning unless they're counting the kicker or punter.

Both the kicker and punter return. In addition Chris Kondorossy comes back and will replace Lehner. Kondo was injured for most of last year, but has at least 20-25 starts for his career.

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
No. 1 In CAA?
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=39571&CHID=3&sub=

I'm not saying this to discount the Dukes because they could very well end up in the Top 3 in December, but how can the MICKSTER think his team is Top 3 in the nation right now?

11 starters back? Is that right?

You also lose a Payton finalist. Correct?

Where does he come up with this stuff? xrotatehx

BDKJMU
July 31st, 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm not saying this to discount the Dukes because they could very well end up in the Top 3 in December, but how can the MICKSTER think his team is Top 3 in the nation right now?

After losing 3 starters in the offseason for one reason or another, yeah, down to 11 returning full time plus a couple more seniors in the secondary that have numerous career starts over the last 2-3 seasons but have never been counted as full time starters (McGee being one). At least one of the 3 I-A (Cuse DL) transfers should start

Yeah, I don't know what he way saying. If he had been referring to last season that wouldn't have been far off, and if he had said UR & Nova were 2 of the top 3 that could be the case.

Maybe there is a "secret weapon" we don't know about.xsmiley_wix

Tribe4SF
July 31st, 2009, 03:11 AM

It's just Mickey's way. He's different than most coaches in the way he talks about his team, and never tries to sneak up on anybody. It's usually "we're the best, come and get us".

spdram
July 31st, 2009, 07:35 AM
I gotta give Mickey credit for putting it out on the table. I was listening to Scotty McGee on the interview the other day and he was talking about practicing that way every week. It must be just his character. (BTW Scotty is a class individual, Dukes you should be as proud of him as a person as you are as a player!)

Tribe4SF
July 31st, 2009, 07:45 AM
I gotta give Mickey credit for putting it out on the table. I was listening to Scotty McGee on the interview the other day and he was talking about practicing that way every week. It must be just his character. (BTW Scotty is a class individual, Dukes you should be as proud of him as a person as you are as a player!)

Always heartening to listen to the guys coaches bring to media day. Videos of all the guys were great this year.

On the CAA YouTube site they have video of the CAA QB Challenge between RJ Archer and Eric Ward. They split two rounds, and Adrian Tracy calls for them to go again as "we don't like ties". These guys obviously had alot of fun in Baltimore.

WMTribe90
July 31st, 2009, 08:54 AM
I was really impressed with McGee too, well spoken, lot of character.

89Hen
July 31st, 2009, 09:44 AM
For a....

DB

jmufan999
July 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM

haha, yeah... and don't forget a Buck Buchanan award finalist in Haywood. BUT, we've had an all-american safety for 5 straight years, so it's kind of "plug and play" at that position. part of it is because of the 4-2-5 scheme, which isn't all that common. not rare, but not common either.

but about the QB thing, yes we lose an awesome runner. but we GAIN an even faster player (Dudzik) who has GOT to be an upgrade in the throwing department. Rodney was athletic and competitive but NOT accurate. Dudzik is obviously smaller, but i'm telling you now, he's faster. and if you think i'm making it up, watch him. i'm not worried about the QB position, it'll be fine. our o-line is always good. it's the DB's and pass rush that i'm more worried about.

and no, i don't think we're one of the top 3 teams in the country. but who knows at this point? who thought W&M would HOST a semifinal game in '04, who knew UMass would have such a down year with a Sr. QB... lots of stuff happens that you don't see coming. that's what's so great about it.

mcveyrl
July 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM

I've said this on here before, but Scotty is a great football player but an even greater person.

My wife taught him twice. He took Spanish I as a freshman and failed. He was not into class or school and she frankly had written him off. Then, as a senior he took another class (it may have been Spanish I again) and every football game she talks about how much he had grown up and how proud she is of him. (all you JMU fans need to give her some credit - he asked for permission to visit with JMU during Spanish and she only let him leave because it was JMU! :D)

We typically meet up with him two or three times a year after the games and he is genuinely excited to see his old teacher and loves playing with our kids. And our son thinks he is the greatest (of course, any JMU football player is a superstar to a 4 year old fan).

We will really be sad to see him go.

BDKJMU
July 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM
but about the QB thing, yes we lose an awesome runner. but we GAIN an even faster player (Dudzik) who has GOT to be an upgrade in the throwing department. Rodney was athletic and competitive but NOT accurate. Dudzik is obviously smaller, but i'm telling you now, he's faster. and if you think i'm making it up, watch him. i'm not worried about the QB position, it'll be fine. our o-line is always good. it's the DB's and pass rush that i'm more worried about.

Landers led the CAA in QB efficiency.
PASSING----------GP--Effic--Cmp-Att-Int--Pct--Yards--TD--Long--Avg/G
Rodney Landers 14 170.7 112--177-4---63.3 1534--21---55----109.6

Landers also completed 63.4% in 07'

If Lander's was "not accurate" as you state, he wouldn't have completed 63+% of his passes. The way you describe Dudzick, you seem to think he'll be a better passer AND runner. NOT going to be the case. Heck, as of now, Mickey said Thorpe is the front runner to start. Thorpe, a redshirt freshman, is already listed at 6'2", 210, and in 3 years could be a slightly bigger (Landers was listed at 6'1", 220) slightly faster, slightly better version of Landers. But remember, Landers didn't start till his 4th year. Thorpe is only in his 2nd yr, and this year likely won't be as good as Rodney was in his 1st starting yr in 07'.

Bottom line, Thorpe or Dudzick, JMU will suffer a dropoff at QB. The only question is how big will that drop off be? We can speculate till the cows come home, but we won't know till at least the MD game, when MM has already said they will both play. And we really might not know till late Sept after a few games.

ur2k
July 31st, 2009, 01:54 PM

If Lander's was "not accurate" as you state, he wouldn't have completed 63+% of his passes. The way you describe Dudzick, you seem to think he'll be a better passer AND runner. NOT going to be the case. Heck, as of now, Mickey said Thorpe is the front runner to start. Thorpe, a redshirt freshman, is already listed at 6'2", 210, and in 3 years could be a slightly bigger (Landers was listed at 6'1", 220) slightly faster, slightly better version of Landers. But remember, Landers didn't start till his 4th year. Thorpe is only in his 2nd yr, and this year likely won't be as good as Rodney was in his 1st starting yr in 07'.

Bottom line, Thorpe or Dudzick, JMU will suffer a dropoff at QB. The only question is how big will that drop off be? We can speculate till the cows come home, but we won't know till at least the MD game, when MM has already said they will both play. And we really might not know till late Sept after a few games.

All that plus Landers seemed to take the team on his back last year, the intangibles you lose with him leading the team have to be a huge loss. No way there's no a huge drop off at the QB position.

GannonFan
July 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM

It's easy to have high accuracy numbers when you play in an offense where you run more than 70% of the time and pass plays are lightly defended and unexpected. I'm sure GSU's QB's of the late 90's had good numbers too when they could take the defense by surprise by not handing it off to Peterson. Having seen plenty of Landers play over two years, he was not a terribly accurate QB - he didn't have to be to be successful.

BDKJMU
July 31st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Always heartening to listen to the guys coaches bring to media day. Videos of all the guys were great this year.

On the CAA YouTube site they have video of the CAA QB Challenge between RJ Archer and Eric Ward. They split two rounds, and Adrian Tracy calls for them to go again as "we don't like ties". These guys obviously had alot of fun in Baltimore.

What other QBs were there? How did Toman do?

BDKJMU
July 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Lots of videos posted to the CAAFootball channel on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CAAFootball

You can also follow @The_CAAFootball on twitter and tag #caafb

Coaches' interviews have been posted in the last hr.

Tribe4SF
July 31st, 2009, 03:16 PM
What other QBs were there? How did Toman do?

Toman wasn't there. I think RJ and Eric were the only QBs in attendance.

WRHUSports 88.7
July 31st, 2009, 04:50 PM
If you'd like to hear archived versions of the 13 interviews from Wednesday's show, please visit the following website:

http://wrhuthelockerroom.blogspot.com/

All thirteen interviews are available in their full form.

Thanks to all who tuned in!

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 31st, 2009, 05:12 PM
It's easy to have high accuracy numbers when you play in an offense where you run more than 70% of the time and pass plays are lightly defended and unexpected. I'm sure GSU's QB's of the late 90's had good numbers too when they could take the defense by surprise by not handing it off to Peterson. Having seen plenty of Landers play over two years, he was not a terribly accurate QB - he didn't have to be to be successful.

You found the words that I was looking for... xbowx

Dukes FB 92
August 1st, 2009, 06:06 PM
I've said this on here before, but Scotty is a great football player but an even greater person.

And our son thinks he is the greatest (of course, any JMU football player is a superstar to a 4 year old fan).

We will really be sad to see him go.

I agree with this 1000%. We ran into Scotty (my son is 3 and loves JMU football) in the Athletic Performance Center. He stopped and talked with my son and then gave him an autographed pocket schedule with his picture on it. It meant the world to him and me! My has met some of the players and they have all been fantastic with him, but Scotty went over and above what he needed to do. He has now got that schedule in his room and wants to take it to every game.

jmufan999
August 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM

exactly. there's such a think as being overly optimistic to the point that you don't actually SEE what is going on.

if you watched him play, he's NOT accurate. most of the time he DID pass it was to absolutely wide open receivers and he STILL missed a few of those golden opportunities. i don't give a crap about his passing efficiency numbers. if he was so dead-on accurate as some jmu fans seem to think, he'd be playing in the NFL, EASILY. because we know how mobile and athletic he was. if you're that big and strong, quick/agile, have this amazing accuracy, we already know he's a great leader with great character... what else would the NFL want? what else is there? you can't say lack of height, he's as tall as Drew Brees. he's not even sniffed the league for a reason, and his lack of throwing accuracy is the reason. guys, you can be a jmu fan and still be realistic. not every player is perfect at everything.

as an example (this is going to rile some jmu fans up, not that i care)... watch the app state - wofford blowout from last year. i have to reference that because there are very few nationally televised FCS games with which to compare. not once in 2 years did rodney do what AE did in that game, passing-wise. not once. and i'm not talking about NUMBERS, i'm talking about what you see with your own two eyes. AE was not only dead-on accurate, but he's got a bigger arm! people will scoff at that because rodney is a BIGGER dude. if you need a few tough yards, sure, Rodney can run over you better than AE can. but AE is a better, more accurate passer. and i don't think it's that close. which is why he will be drafted next year (i'm not guaranteeing he'll make a team but he will be drafted) and rodney will be happy to play in the UFL. it doesn't make Rodney a bad college player, he was a fantastic college player. but NOT an accurate passer.

hey, i love jmu as much as anyone, i'm totally obsessed. but when i'm watching a game, i'm trying to stay at least somewhat objective. there's my "jmu fan hat" and my "reality hat".

Tribe4SF
August 1st, 2009, 10:03 PM
exactly. there's such a think as being overly optimistic to the point that you don't actually SEE what is going on.

if you watched him play, he's NOT accurate. most of the time he DID pass it was to absolutely wide open receivers and he STILL missed a few of those golden opportunities. i don't give a crap about his passing efficiency numbers. if he was so dead-on accurate as some jmu fans seem to think, he'd be playing in the NFL, EASILY. because we know how mobile and athletic he was. if you're that big and strong, quick/agile, have this amazing accuracy, we already know he's a great leader with great character... what else would the NFL want? what else is there? you can't say lack of height, he's as tall as Drew Brees. he's not even sniffed the league for a reason, and his lack of throwing accuracy is the reason. guys, you can be a jmu fan and still be realistic. not every player is perfect at everything.

as an example (this is going to rile some jmu fans up, not that i care)... watch the app state - wofford blowout from last year. i have to reference that because there are very few nationally televised FCS games with which to compare. not once in 2 years did rodney do what AE did in that game, passing-wise. not once. and i'm not talking about NUMBERS, i'm talking about what you see with your own two eyes. AE was not only dead-on accurate, but he's got a bigger arm! people will scoff at that because rodney is a BIGGER dude. if you need a few tough yards, sure, Rodney can run over you better than AE can. but AE is a better, more accurate passer. and i don't think it's that close. which is why he will be drafted next year (i'm not guaranteeing he'll make a team but he will be drafted) and rodney will be happy to play in the UFL. it doesn't make Rodney a bad college player, he was a fantastic college player. but NOT an accurate passer.

hey, i love jmu as much as anyone, i'm totally obsessed. but when i'm watching a game, i'm trying to stay at least somewhat objective. there's my "jmu fan hat" and my "reality hat".

NFL potential has little to do with a player's worth to his team in college. Rodney Landers was one of the best college QBs I've ever seen, and all the talk in the world about his lack of accuracy (QB rating EXTREMELY high), or his lack of speed (fantastic FOOTBALL speed), won't change those facts. When the chips were down, there was noone better than Rodney last year.

And get a clue....AE will not be drafted as a QB next year. He may be drafted, but it won't be as a QB.

ChickenMan
August 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Being a great college QB doesn't automatically transfer into being an NFL QB.. not even a mediocre one. Guys like Ricky Santos and now AE have the kind of skill set that allowed them to dominate in the college game.. but they both lack a very important attribute that is required for success at the next level.. an arm that allows a QB to make ALL the difficult throws that are required in an NFL offense. Both Edwards and Santos had more success in the college game then did Joe Flacco.. but Flacco had the size and arm that are required for success in professional football. AE may get a shot at the NFL.. but other than the 'Wildcat'.. it won't be as a QB.

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I agree with this 1000%. We ran into Scotty (my son is 3 and loves JMU football) in the Athletic Performance Center. He stopped and talked with my son and then gave him an autographed pocket schedule with his picture on it. It meant the world to him and me! My has met some of the players and they have all been fantastic with him, but Scotty went over and above what he needed to do. He has now got that schedule in his room and wants to take it to every game.

Welcome to AGS Dukes FB 92!

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2009, 09:56 AM

Come on 99', "most" of his completions weren't to receivers that were "absolutely" wide open as you state. Try changing the "most" to "some", or a good number. Way to exaggeratexrolleyesx

And you say if Rodney was dead on accurate he be drafted in the "NFL EASILY". Nope, wouldn't have happened. His accuracy wasn't great, but was decent. To say he was "not an accurate passer" is another exaggeration by you.xrolleyesx It would be fair to call his accuracy "average" or "decent". But you're blanket statement of "not accurate" is retarded. You don't complete 63% of your passes, throw 21 TDs to 4 Ints if he was as you claim "not accurate". So Landers didn't have great accuracy or NFL accuracy . Lander's arm strength was good. Just not great. Neither is AE's. As Chickenman pointed out, Landers likely "lacked an arm that allows a QB to make ALL the difficult throws that are required in an NFL offense". Plus height. He was listed at 6'1", but that could have been slightly stretching it, and the NFL looks for QB's in the 6'2"-6'6" range. AE has the same problem in that regard.

You seem to think AE was so much more accurate than Landers. AE completed 64% of his passes to Lander's 63%. AE threw more picks in ONE game (5 against UR) than Landers threw all season (4). You seem to think AE will be drafted as a QBxrolleyesx As Tribe4SF pointed out, catch a clue.xrolleyesx WON'T HAPPEN. AE is way to small to play QB in the NFL. He won't be drafted (as a QB) just like Santos wasn't, just like Landers wasn't. AE will get a shot in the NFL, but it won't be at QB.xrolleyesx

PapaBear
August 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
People tend to vastly oversimplify the QB position into an easily defined skill set. They forget what a huge impact the position can have on the rest of the team (even the defense) if it's "staffed" by the right person.

I like to look at it as a 3-part job.

1. "Playing the position." This is the raw physical part of the job. It speaks to the fundamental skills of passing, running and what scouts like to call "escapability" -- the ability to make something good happen when things break down.

2. "Running the offense." This is the mental/cerebral part. Making the right calls, reads, protection sets, etc.

3. "Leading the team." This is that mysterious intangible that makes some QBs have a bigger impact on their team than their talent alone suggests they should have.

Each QB has these traits in some form and at some level of proficiency.

I've only seen Landers play a few games, so I wouldn't try to benchmark him on any of them. But I do know this: When he played, JMU won games. Lots of them. And although he was surrounded by plenty of talented players, you can't deny that his presence on the field helped those players perform at a higher level as individuals and as a team.

UNHCATSFAN
August 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
No DTs selected.

its a 10 player defense too

Dukes FB 92
August 2nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Welcome to AGS Dukes FB 92!
Thank you!

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
No DTs selected.

its a 10 player defense too

1. Eric McBride - LB - UR
2. Adrian Tracy - DL - W&M

Preseason Defensive Team
3. Tim Kukucka - DL - Nova
4. Matt Marcorelle - DL - UD
5. Arthur Moats - DL - JMU
6. Luke Bonus - LB - Hofstra
7. Josh Jennings - LB - UMass
8. Osayi Osunde - LB - Nova
9. Charles Graves - S - UD
10. Jeromy Miles - S - UMass
11. Justin Rogers - CB - UR
12. Dino Vasso - CB - UNH

David Miller - P - W&M

UNHCatsFan, you said a 10 player defensexconfusedx They named 12 guys not including the punter. How do you come up with 10? Do they teach you to count above 10 in NH? Do need math for dummies? xlolxxlolxxlolx

tribefootballfan
August 3rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
How many of Rodney Landers pass were RBs behind the lins???? Half?

BDKJMU
August 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
How many of Rodney Landers pass were RBs behind the lins???? Half?

Maybe 10-20%. Another exaggerater xrolleyesx