PDA

View Full Version : SWAC Commish: Playoffs, a "Double Loss"

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Nothing that we did not know, but it is always good to see that people are continuing to ask the SWAC about the "P-word"...

SWAC commissioner Duer Sharp addressed the yearly question of whether there are any plans in the works to adjust the schedule so that SWAC teams can play in the Division I-AA playoffs.

"Nope," Sharp said. "In the 18 years we played in it, we were 0-18. You add in the financial requirement, the ticket guarantee you have to give - it was a double loss.

"We were losing the games ... and now it cost you money to play the game. The school who plays has to pay that ... Our schools are saying we'd rather play in the classics. Our (presidents) council is steadfast on staying where we are right now."

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090722/SPORTS030101/907220342/1287

kdinva
July 22nd, 2009, 10:37 AM
Nothing that we did not know, but it is always good to see that people are continuing to ask the SWAC about the "P-word"...

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090722/SPORTS030101/907220342/1287

At least a straight-forward answer from the Commissioner, not that I would have lost sleep over it........yes, we all know the SWAC produces a good amount of players who go on to the NFL, but this is a team sport. To me, even the first round games of the 1-AA playoffs are entertaining to watchxnodx.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
At least a straight-forward answer from the Commissioner, not that I would have lost sleep over it........yes, we all know the SWAC produces a good amount of players who go on to the NFL, but this is a team sport. To me, even the first round games of the 1-AA playoffs are entertaining to watchxnodx.

What is "1-AA playoffs"? xconfusedx

(right TT!) xsmiley_wix

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
At least a straight-forward answer from the Commissioner
xnodx xthumbsupx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM
xnodx xthumbsupx

No....

xnodxxnodxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

R.A.
July 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM
So, the Tigers are dodging the Panthers...

jstate83
July 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
So, the Tigers are dodging the Panthers...

Dodging P.View?
man please.xlolx

What's the point of playing P. View.
We been beating them for 40 years.
P. View want to play us this year, tell them to win the WEST and make it to B-Ham.
As people in the SWAC told us that it is not ALCORN's job to move the CCC to the weekend of Thanksgiving to help us out in our scheduling, it is not JSU's responsibility to help P. View in theirs.

Everybody was having a good ole time when Alcorn turned us down but now that JSU has started telling people no thank you, people have been acting like a a death in the family just happened.xlolx

crossfire07
July 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
"Nope," Sharp said. "In the 18 years we played in it, we were 0-18. You add in the financial requirement, the ticket guarantee you have to give - it was a double loss.

them schools that can swing the playoffs but don't pull in the cash like Grambling does must have some awesome accountants.

Native
July 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM

them schools that can swing the playoffs but don't pull in the cash like Grambling does must have some awesome accountants.

Grambling is not the only school to pull in the cash. Look at the 45,000 attendance for the annual Alcorn-JSU Capitol City Classic in Jackson. xreadx

The commish and the school presidents - in this case - are smart folk. They got it right. xnodx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Grambling is not the only school to pull in the cash. Look at the 45,000 attendance for the annual Alcorn-JSU Capitol City Classic in Jackson. xreadx

The commish and the school presidents - in this case - are smart folk. They got it right. xnodx

Prepare for the onslaught of responses. xpopcornx

Native
July 22nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Prepare for the onslaught of responses. xpopcornx

Yes, there may be a few who cannot do math and don't care what it costs as long as some one else pays.xnonono2x

R.A.
July 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Dodging P.View?
man please.xlolx

What's the point of playing P. View.
We been beating them for 40 years.
P. View want to play us this year, tell them to win the WEST and make it to B-Ham.
As people in the SWAC told us that it is not ALCORN's job to move the CCC to the weekend of Thanksgiving to help us out in our scheduling, it is not JSU's responsibility to help P. View in theirs.

Everybody was having a good ole time when Alcorn turned us down but now that JSU has started telling people no thank you, people have been acting like a a death in the family just happened.xlolx

Because JSU is one of the SWAC's "Big Three," a legendary program, Walter Payton's school... and you're dodging the Panthers.

kdinva
July 22nd, 2009, 08:08 PM

So, am I to read into this that the SWAC schools think they are better than the Montana's, App. st's., Richmond's, New Hampshire's, Northern Iowa's, and JMU's of the world without actually playing them?

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
So, am I to read into this that the SWAC schools think they are better than the Montana's, App. st's., Richmond's, New Hampshire's, Northern Iowa's, and JMU's of the world without actually playing them?

No - the SWAC schools and fan bases from what I gather do not feel they are on equal footing currently in a competitive manner.

These schools are more interested in the bottom line. As we have seen by their method of doing Classics in football and some of their "whore-like" schedules in basketball, they need to make as much money as possible in the revenue sports just to manage to exist. They underfund most of their sports, lack the facilities comparable to mid-majors and in many cases, the SWAC schools are understaffed.

Jaguar79
July 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
No - the SWAC schools and fan bases from what I gather do not feel they are on equal footing currently in a competitive manner.

These schools are more interested in the bottom line. As we have seen by their method of doing Classics in football and some of their "whore-like" schedules in basketball, they need to make as much money as possible in the revenue sports just to manage to exist. They underfund most of their sports, lack the facilities comparable to mid-majors and in many cases, the SWAC schools are understaffed.

NO TT. We are realists. When looking at the options available, for us, it makes sense not to participate.

One, the seeding, while it's supposed to be geographic-related, has not be fair to the SWAC in a number of years. No one expected this to change so why bother. I know this is open to debate so I won't linger on it.

Two, why would we participate in something that is pulling money AWAY from us? If we are so underfunded, why would we waste time with a situation that could possibly cost us MORE money?

SWAC schools make money .... and in a lot of cases it is more than some of your cohorts here. The problem is what it has always been. Poor leadership w/out vision and poor use of funds.

What has caused the division between us and the rest of FCS is when we were playing them on the regular, we took an opportunity to see how the other half lives with the SCG. That took many SWAC AD's away from scheduling those games against regional opponents, citing that they never brought anything to our home stadiums, but desperately wanted SWAC fans to fill theirs. While that may have been true, our teams needed to continue playing those schools as a way of improving ourselves. BUT they needed to do that during the regular season. The playoffs offered nothing to us that a regular season game would not.

And by the way, what other FCS schools or mid-majors do you know that don't play "Whore-like" schedules in basketball?

Jaguar79
July 22nd, 2009, 09:03 PM

No. You should get that we think playing these schools in the PLAYOFFS makes no sense to us when we could schedule them during the regular season and still get the level of competition most teams need.

Unfortunately, some of our AD's have decided to peddle to the masses who don't care about a JMU, McNeese, etc. coming in, but will fill our stadiums for a Hampton, Bethune-Cookman, and Tuskegee.

kdinva
July 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM

I understand the "bottom line" theory/need for schools. Yet, schools like Wofford (1,180 students), VMI (1,340), and Presbyterian (1,300) have on their radar the "want" to make the 1-AA playoffs each year. Wofford made it to the semi-finals in 2006(?), and survived any short-term cash crunch they may have experienced.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 07:28 AM
And by the way, what other FCS schools or mid-majors do you know that don't play "Whore-like" schedules in basketball?

More and more conferences are putting provisions in their by-laws to stop this from happening. It has in fact changed the complete profile and RPI of leagues (see the SLC reaching all new heights in RPI this past year - highest in ages). The SWAC has thrown it around, but have they finalized action? Saw it mentioned after the recent SWAC meetings.

I assure you, when conference play, there is maybe one other conference - if that - which has a standings listing that compares to the SWAC. The only fruitful thing for the SWAC is the unwritten NCAA policy that the "powers that be" will do their darndest to not put both HBCU conferences in the play-in game.

NO TT. We are realists. When looking at the options available, for us, it makes sense not to participate.

As I said - it comes down to bottom line. You guys allegedly make a lot more, but you must have awful accountant based on the numbers reported to the government. Your numbers for Southern and Grambling do not measure up to those of the Texas SLC schools and are not much more, if equal to those of the Louisiana SLC schools - despite all the money-generating efforts.

Native
July 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM

One, the seeding, while it's supposed to be geographic-related, has not be fair to the SWAC in a number of years. No one expected this to change so why bother. I know this is open to debate so I won't linger on it.

Two, why would we participate in something that is pulling money AWAY from us? If we are so underfunded, why would we waste time with a situation that could possibly cost us MORE money?

SWAC schools make money .... and in a lot of cases it is more than some of your cohorts here. The problem is what it has always been. Poor leadership w/out vision and poor use of funds.

What has caused the division between us and the rest of FCS is when we were playing them on the regular, we took an opportunity to see how the other half lives with the SCG. That took many SWAC AD's away from scheduling those games against regional opponents, citing that they never brought anything to our home stadiums, but desperately wanted SWAC fans to fill theirs. While that may have been true, our teams needed to continue playing those schools as a way of improving ourselves. BUT they needed to do that during the regular season. The playoffs offered nothing to us that a regular season game would not.

Wells said, Jag79! I think you nailed it!

Native
July 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
I understand the "bottom line" theory/need for schools. Yet, schools like Wofford (1,180 students), VMI (1,340), and Presbyterian (1,300) have on their radar the "want" to make the 1-AA playoffs each year. Wofford made it to the semi-finals in 2006(?), and survived any short-term cash crunch they may have experienced.

It is not a short term problem for the SWAC. Wofford is better funded than most (if not all) of the SWAC schools.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Wofford is better funded than mst of the SWAC schools.

This statement is of no surprise. As far as facts and figures go, the SWAC is poorly funded (as far as expenses) compared to the others in Div I. No school in the league ranks above #294 with four schools worst than #320. There's at least one, if not two SLC non-football schools with greater budgets than the whole league.

http://www.bbstate.com/info.php?a=schools-budget&c=SWAC

jstate83
July 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Because JSU is one of the SWAC's "Big Three," a legendary program, Walter Payton's school... and you're dodging the Panthers.

R.A.
Shouldn't you worry about the dismal records HOWARD has been putting up.
You worried about the wrong thang. xlolx
Howard has a total of 10 big wins in 3 years.
LAST YEAR YOU ONLY HAD ONE.

Look like ya'll need to run from everybody. xlolx
Sorry but 10 games in a row ain't gonna cut it and we ain't doing it.
End of story.

jstate83
July 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM

xconfusedxxconfusedxxconfusedx
Look at it for what it is.

They voted on a 2 divison format with the East and West reps meeting in B-Ham every December.
Nobody even think of these school's during a season unless they on the schedule.
Not smacking just letting you know.

jstate83
July 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM

You just never stop do you.xlolx
I was wondering when your tirade against the SWAC would start when I saw you had made this thread.

Oh well.
At least you made it past page one before you started. xlolx

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Not a tirade...

The SWAC will do what it takes to make money. They refuse to compete for a national title in wake of a SWAC title game and different 'Classics'. In basketball, playing body-bag games so everyone in the league has 2-12, 3-10 records entering SWAC play - it is quite clear.

Just trying to explain it to the individual that asked.

mikebigg
July 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
With you it's never "just trying to explain"...do you collect bettles?