PDA

View Full Version : UH-OH...FCS..........BRAWK!!

MR. CHICKEN
July 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
xeekx...........DELAWARE HAS DECIDED....TA RAISE OURAH QB'S..FROM SCRATCH.....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090722/SPORTS07/907220368

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Sounds like that kid from Georgia will be a nice addition as long as he sticks to his verbal.

93henfan
July 22nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
Cool. So now we'll only need one more FBS transfer to bridge the gap. :p

But seriously, I think this guy's interest is likely attributable to the QBU status that Delaware enjoys. It's not hard to convince a recruit when you have the number of pro QBs as the Hens do. May as well make the most of it. xthumbsupx

Sorry to see in the second half of the article that Jared Bradley will medical redshirt due to a ruptured achilles. Not a huge loss, as he was 3 or 4 on the chart, but still takes away some size for 3rd and short situations.

andy7171
July 22nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Other than Gannon and now Flacco who else?

Bull Fan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
That's two more QB's than most other I-AA's have "produced". And I'm no UD apologist.

I think it's comical at this point, and question Keeler's ability to recruit QB's (and other I-A transfers he's brought in over the years), as well as his patience to develop them. Some critics (such as I) could view this as a quicker formula to climb the coaching ranks. I understand this is a hyper-critical assessment, but the stigma that's attached to Keeler and UD is noticeable and worth mentioning once again.

93henfan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:26 AM

Scott Brunner, Jeff Komlo, and maybe some of the old heads can name some more. Four NFL starters in a 30 year period. Not to mention getting a guy from PSU that beat Ohio State last year. Oh, and Andy Hall was an NFL draftee as well.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Not sure you need much else. Flacco being first round was huge. I would have to guess McNair was the only other I-AA QB taken in the first round? Transfers from GT, Missouri, Pitt, Ohio State and now Penn State. I'm not sure you can find another current I-AA with as much attention (deserved or not) at the QB spot. xpeacex

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
the stigma that's attached to Keeler and UD is noticeable and worth mentioning once again.
And a lot of it could be erased with this one kid if he does sign and perform. xpeacex

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
UD has definitely done well with QB's, but my only thing is, don't believe it until he signs. If this kid is clearly head and shoulders above other kids like the article says, what happens when he gets wooed by UGA or a 'bama etc. Playing in front of 90K at a major 1A university and being treated like a god on campus is a hell of an experience.

Bull Fan
July 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Agreed. It's only a verbal. Wait until he goes on a recruiting trip and gets his noodle wet by one of those southern belles, and sees those mega stadiums. I'm unconvinced a good ol' boy from Jo-ja is going to turn his back on that way of life, where the SEC is bigger than the NFL. If he has an impressive senior season, or looks good enough to the recruiters, he'll attract attention.

andy7171
July 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
...and being treated like a god on campus is a hell of an experience.

Listen to UB, he speaks from experience! :p

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Listen to UB, he speaks from experience! :p

A legend in my own mind. xnodx

Bull Fan
July 22nd, 2009, 09:40 AM
A legend at Dutch Treats, if they still exist.

andy7171
July 22nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
A legend at Dutch Treats, if they still exist.

xlolxxlolxxlolx They made you feel classy didn't they? xlolxxlolxxlolx

http://www.altadisusa.com/image/DutchTreatsPacks.jpg

elon77
July 22nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
A legend in my own mind. xnodx

Were you not on the front of a box of Rice? Oh no that was that other uncle. Sorry.xlolx

Bull Fan
July 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Andy, not those cheap cigars. Dutch Treats was (is?) an eatery on campus.

Though it would've been gimmicky for a Flying Dutchman to celebrate a TD, sack or other standout play by lighting one up...

Uncle Buck
July 22nd, 2009, 09:58 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx They made you feel classy didn't they? xlolxxlolxxlolx

http://www.altadisusa.com/image/DutchTreatsPacks.jpg

Nothing like the crisp cool taste of a Dutch Treat.

andy7171
July 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Gotcha makes more sense now. I had the Tiger Pause.

Bull Fan
July 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Looking at the image, it harkens back to one of the old media cover guides. Joe Gardi standing alongside his three captains in any given year in their school blazers. To have them dress up in pre-colonial digs for the shot would've been REAL gimmicky ;)

Yes, it's summer and there is little to occupy the football corner of my mind.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
Will be interesting to see how the new OC at Delaware influences QB recruiting and development. This kid jumped the gun a little committing to the Hens this early, and the Hens may have jumped the gun offering this early. Either party may reverse field later.

UD got a commitment from Sasek last year in September, and that seemed early to me as well. At our level, I've always thought it was best to let the dust settle before focusing on QB targets.

jmufan999
July 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
i guess the downside to QBU is that not only are you not trying as hard to recruit HS QB's, but even when you do try, the conversation is going to go like this:

Keeler: We'd like you to be our QB at Delaware.
Recruit: Ok, great. But how do I know you won't bring in another FBS transfer that I won't even be allowed to compete with?

There are obviously plenty of advantages to the transfer thing, but I guess there could be some drawbacks as well.

93henfan
July 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
There was an update on Justin Burns in today's Delaware paper.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090725/SPORTS07/907250361

They pressed him on how firm his commitment was to Delaware. His quote:

"I'm 100 percent committed to Delaware. Once I give my word, I stay that way."

"I loved all the coaching staff -- coach Keeler and coach Hofher -- and the academics were great."

"After my visit to Delaware, my dad and mom and I sat around and prayed. God was leading us there. I was comfortable with all the coaches. Why wait any longer?"

xbowx

blukeys
July 25th, 2009, 01:23 PM
i guess the downside to QBU is that not only are you not trying as hard to recruit HS QB's, but even when you do try, the conversation is going to go like this:

Keeler: We'd like you to be our QB at Delaware.
Recruit: Ok, great. But how do I know you won't bring in another FBS transfer that I won't even be allowed to compete with?

There are obviously plenty of advantages to the transfer thing, but I guess there could be some drawbacks as well.

And where did the National Champion QB of 2004 begin his career???????

Hello Mr. Pot, Mr. Kettle says you're black.

LacesOut
July 25th, 2009, 04:43 PM
He'll come to UD after spending two years or so at U of Georgia or U of another I-A school!