PDA

View Full Version : Senators Hatch and Kyl Ask AG To Block Single Game Sports Betting in Delaware

93henfan
July 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090721/NEWS/90721052

Two U.S. Senators have asked Attorney General Eric Holder to examine Delaware's proposed sports lottery.

Sens. Orrin Hatch of Utah and Jon Kyl of Arizona suggested efforts in Delaware and New Jersey may violate federal gambling prohibitions enacted in 1992.

PDF of letter to the US Attorney General: http://www.delawareonline.com/assets/pdf/BL138975721.PDF

Even though I'd love single game betting and the revenue it would provide my state, I must concede that the Senators' points are spot on in regard to PASPA. Delaware will almost certainly stick to less lucrative parlay betting now after seeing this. I doubt Jersey will back down with their lawsuit, as they are trying to squash PASPA completely.

Gotta love the use of Joe Biden's own words to keep Delaware in check. xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 22nd, 2009, 09:01 AM
Am I the only one that sees the irony-o-meter leaping off the charts with Senators Kyl and Hatch claiming federal law over states' rights in a matter that is nowhere near their own jurisdictions?

More importantly that irony, though - how does that change the likelihood of the NCAA backing down from their pledge to not have NCAA-sponsored championships in the state assuming it goes through? I'm assuming that despite Sen. Kyl's and Hatch's letter, the "lottery" is going to go on in Delaware this year regardless and any legal action will be tied up in court for at least a year if not more.

Ivytalk
July 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
I predict that sports betting in DE will be a monumental flop again. Just my xtwocentsx.

93henfan
July 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
I predict that sports betting in DE will be a monumental flop again. Just my xtwocentsx.

With no single game betting, you are correct sir.

I'm thinking the table games will steal some revenue from the PA and MD gambling crowd, but people aren't going to leave their bookie to lay parlays in Delaware.