PDA

View Full Version : CAA Forecast - Delaware

jstclmet
July 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
The Pluses:
1. PSU xfer QB Pat Devlin. All of UD is hoping he will help transform UD back to their winning ways.
2. Play calling is expected to be better by the OC.
3. I think they're getting new uni's too.

The Negatives:
1. Only 4 starters on Off & 6 on Def returns.
2. Make shift O-Line, LT Allard, So, 6'5 270, LG Nicholson Sr. 6'3 285, C McDowell So., 6'3 270, RG Nagle So, 6'4, 270, RT Uhll Jr 6'4 265. Two of the backups are actually listed @ 285, but the rest are smaller. The entire O-Line are a little light if you ask me.
3. Some recent personnel losses may also have an impact on the upcoming season.

The Schedule:

9/4 Fri vs West Chester. The Hens should come out flying enroute to a season opening 42 - 14 win to put smiles on the faces of the UD faithful.

9/12 Sat vs Richmond. The Gods of scheduling must have a bone to pick with UD as this game should be on 11/14 when they play Navy, and the Navy game should be this weekend. UR will come in focused and ready to do work. Navy lost a lot of starters and will be still feeling their way through. It would a perfect game for UD to steal from a still learning Navy squad. Unfortunately for UD they're playing the Def NC in the 2nd week of the season while UR is very fresh. UD falls at home 10 - 27 to a much bigger, stronger, faster, more aggresive UR team.

9/19 vs Delaware St. UD rebounds with a vengence and takes care of cross state rival DSU 35 - 13, running and passing at will.

9/26 @ William & Mary. The last time UD visited Zable stadium they scored 7 or 8 rushing TD's and set all kinds of records. Well, the hometown Tribe hasn't forgotten. With a bolstered run game of their own, the Tribe will look to return the favor. UD falls on the road 17 - 28 as the Tribe pressures the UD backfield by continually beating the UD O-Line with their AA DE's.

10/3 @ Maine. On the road again, UD runs into a relentless Black Bear defense that forces numerouls TO's. UD loses 17 - 27.

10/10 vs Massachusetts. I gave the analysis on the UMass thread, but this game will be close. With UD having the home field, coaching edge, @ QB edge, I gave UD the win, 21 - 20.

10/17 @ Towson. Catching a weakened Towson, UD again wins big 27 - 13.

10/24 Bye.

10/31 vs James Madison. UD had a week off to prepare, it's homecoming, and they're fighting for their playoff lives. JMU comes in and knows they're in a must win situation. These two slug it out up and down the field for 4 qtrs. With time left for one final drive, down by one, UD gets the ball on the JMU side of the field, but turns it over, and JMU runs out the clock to win 28 - 27.

11/7 VS Hofstra. Visiting HU, the surprise of the CAA this year, and everyone's Cinderella, comes in with high hopes. However, a proud Blue Hen team refuses to lose in their home finale, as UD holds on to win 24 - 20.

11/14 @ Navy. Again, this should be the UR game. Navy has now had time to get it's act together, and have padded their schedule with teams they should beat in order to get a bowl game. This game is more meaningful for Navy than UD. For a half UD fights valiantly, but KC pulls it in at ht, and UD falls 21 - 43.

11/21 @ Villanova. Looking to play spoiler, UD fights hard on this cold November afternoon. But Nova jumps out to a 21 - 7 ht lead which is the signal for UD to call it a season. Nova wins 35 - 7.

Overall 5 - 6, CAA 3 - 5, Better than 08

89Hen
July 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM
3. I think they're getting new uni's too.
That was last year. :)

Go...gate
July 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
I'm thinking 8-3 or 7-4, including a win over Navy. Don't know how the CAA slate will play out. A play-off berth is possible.

YoUDeeMan
July 21st, 2009, 08:52 PM
Good to see Umass74 voting as a Hen fan. xrolleyesx

93henfan
July 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM
So you're predicting a stingy Delaware defense to give up 24.4 points per game this year after only giving up 19.6 points per game last year in a season where they were starting a WR/TE duo at QB at times and the offense couldn't buy a first down? I'm not sure if that passes the smell test.

I think you Nova homers are going to be unpleasanty surprised by this year's UD squad. Good luck in your pursuit of your first championship. You have a good squad.

93henfan
July 21st, 2009, 09:14 PM
Navy has now had time to get it's act together, and have padded their schedule with teams they should beat in order to get a bowl game.

Huh? xconfusedx You think Navy is padding their schedule with @Ohio State, @Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, @Notre Dame, and @Hawaii? I think I'd skip out on those games and restrict my FCS opponent to a non-CAA team that's not .500 against me lifetime if I wanted to pad my schedule.

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 21st, 2009, 10:35 PM
9/4 West Chester 10 @ Hens 45. Hope springs eternal vs D2

9/12 Richmond 35 @ Hens 17. Reality check early.

9/19 Delaware St 24 @ Hens 56. Hope springs eternal again for a week....

9/26 Hens 21 @ William & Mary 24. OT heartbreaker on the road sets tone for the rest of the season.

10/3 Hens 14 @ Maine 20. 2nd straight OT killer up in the great northeast. good defensive battle, but Black Bear RB Turcotte proves to be the difference late.

10/10 Massachusetts 17 @ Hens 27. UD picks up a much needed win!

10/17 Hens 35 @ Towson 7. Towson struggling big time as season starts the home stretch. 4-3 after 7 games.

10/24 Bye.

10/31 James Madison 48 @ Hens 38. JMU proves to be too much despite offensive fireworks by US.

11/7 Hofstra 10 @ Hens 16. 3rd OT is the charm. UD goes to 5-4 with 2 left.

11/14 Hens 52 @ Navy 49. Incredible offensive effort vs. over-rated Midshipmen propels UD to a guaranteed winning season. UD passes all over the field -- just enough to offset Navy's 525 yards rushing on the day.

11/21 Hens 14 @ Villanova 31. A good, not great, season comes to a close on a down note. Losing on the road eliminates any post-season chance for KC's troop who finish up at 6-5 on the season.

jstclmet
July 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM
Huh? xconfusedx You think Navy is padding their schedule with @Ohio State, @Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, @Notre Dame, and @Hawaii? I think I'd skip out on those games and restrict my FCS opponent to a non-CAA team that's not .500 against me lifetime if I wanted to pad my schedule.

Navy's last 8 games;

10/10 @ Rice
10/17 @ SMU
10/24 vs Wake Forest
10/31 vs Temple
11/7 @ Notre Dame
11/14 vs UD
11/28 @ Hawaii
12/12 vs Army

SMU & Wake are probably the two toughest in that stretch. Maybe ND shows up this year. The one thing working against Navy is their youth. But this thread is about UD. Tough game to have that late in the season. UD would have been better off playing UR or another CAA team at this time of the year when they're trying to make the playoffs.

Ud1Hens
July 21st, 2009, 11:19 PM
Navy's last 8 games;

10/10 @ Rice
10/17 @ SMU
10/24 vs Wake Forest
10/31 vs Temple
11/7 @ Notre Dame
11/14 vs UD
11/28 @ Hawaii
12/12 vs Army

SMU & Wake are probably the two toughest in that stretch. Maybe ND shows up this year. The one thing working against Navy is their youth. But this thread is about UD. Tough game to have that late in the season. UD would have been better off playing UR or another CAA team at this time of the year when they're trying to make the playoffs.

I'm going to go with the Notre Dame game as the toughest. They are returning practically every skill player and added a bunch of team speed in their youngsters

WMTribe90
July 21st, 2009, 11:53 PM
UD will undoubtedly be improved and will not get blown out in any game, unlike last year. However, I think they're still a notch or two below three or four teams in the CAA south. I say winning season, but no playoffs. Will this be the year that playing WCU keeps UD out of the playoffs? Conversely, a win at Navy could launch them into the playoffs even if they go 2-3 in the brutal CAA south. In fact, the CAA plays several winnable FBS opponents this year and I believe the difference between three and five CAA teams making the field of 16 may likely come down to pulling a few of the FBS upsets. This will be especially true in the CAA South, where I don't see anybody going undefeated.

bluehenbillk
July 22nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hard to say how maybe one of the top defensive backfields in the country much less the tops in the CAA isn't mentioned at all, substitute that in for new uni's and it adds some quality to the prediction. Mark Duncan, UD's top returning WR is still returning as of now, doesn't look as though there will be any lengthy time missed, fingers crossed.

jstclmet
July 22nd, 2009, 07:15 AM
Hard to say how maybe one of the top defensive backfields in the country much less the tops in the CAA isn't mentioned at all, substitute that in for new uni's and it adds some quality to the prediction. Mark Duncan, UD's top returning WR is still returning as of now, doesn't look as though there will be any lengthy time missed, fingers crossed.

The last time I checked, it was still a team game. For sake of argument, let's say UD has one of the top def backfields in the country, any QB (RS included) worth his salt given time can find an open receiver. Your Def front 7 is suspect. Your O-Line deficiencies help hide this. Hopefully your DB's are good tacklers as they may be your leading tacklers this year, and that's not a good thing. There's a reason #11 was moved to LB.

Teams will run on you, and when you try to stack the box, they will throw on you. Hopefully your Def backfield is one of the tops in the country. However, I think the jury is still out on that vote.

Good luck.

93henfan
July 22nd, 2009, 07:44 AM
The one game that can make this a special season occurs early in September. To break out an oft-used cliche, the Hens have had the Richmond game circled on the schedule the whole offseason. The Hens will be a huge underdog, but I see no reason why they can't pull out the shocker against the national champs in front of a big, late-summer crowd at The Tub.

LacesOut
July 22nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
They beat JMU.

6-5 for the Hens is my call.

bluehenbillk
July 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
The last time I checked, it was still a team game. For sake of argument, let's say UD has one of the top def backfields in the country, any QB (RS included) worth his salt given time can find an open receiver. Your Def front 7 is suspect. Your O-Line deficiencies help hide this. What does our OL have to do with this, I'm not drawing this conclusion from a spring game or watching practices. Hopefully your DB's are good tacklers as they may be your leading tacklers this year, and that's not a good thing. There's a reason #11 was moved to LB. Yea, the coaching staff was satisfied with the front 4.

Teams will run on you, Not too many teams ran all over UD last year, check your stats. and when you try to stack the box, they will throw on you. Hopefully your Def backfield is one of the tops in the country. However, I think the jury is still out on that vote.

Good luck.

My responses are in bold.

jstclmet
July 22nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
My responses are in bold.

If you had your O-Line from 2 yrs ago, you would notice the problems you have in your def front 7. Not getting the push/protetion from your current O-Line hides the fact that your Def front 7 is somewhat challenged.

There are a lot of ???? regarding your DL. If you truly believe your coaches are happy with the entire DL, then you may be a little misinformed. It's still July, your starting DL probably won't be determined until late Aug. The same for the backups.

Moving #11 to LB was a band-aid to fill holes there. But this you already knew.

Last year your team was stronger defensively up front. You cannot compare last year's stats to this year's team.

Good luck.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
SMU & Wake are probably the two toughest in that stretch. Maybe ND shows up this year.
You do know Navy's win over ND last year was the first in how long? xeyebrowx

93henfan
July 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
You do know Navy's win over ND last year was the first in how long? xeyebrowx

Hey old-timer, that was two years ago, the week after Delaware beat Navy. PJ finally got his big win over ND before jumping off the ship.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 11:25 AM
Major flaw in the poll. UD CAN"t go .500. They have an odd # of games, 11. They can go either 5-6 (below .500) or 6-5 (above .500). So far we have 6 idiots on here, all non UD fans, who voted for the impossible: UD to go .500. Those 6 obviously need Math for Dummies. xlolx JSTCLMET, if you're the one who came up with this poll, then you need Math For Dummies tooxlolx

BTW I voted for UD to go above .500. I think they'll go 6-5 to 7-4.

BDKJMU
July 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Jstclmet. If you exclude the Navy game from the poll, then you should have excluded the Div II West Chester game as well. Either way, there should be no .500 option. UD has an odd # of games (11) and an odd # of IAA games as well, (9). I voted UD to go above .500 (6-5 to 7-4).

YoUDeeMan
July 22nd, 2009, 11:40 AM
Last year your team was stronger defensively up front. You cannot compare last year's stats to this year's team.

Good luck.

Actually, this year's defense, on talent alone, looks to be better than last year's. Adding a year's experience and an offense that won't go three and out all day makes it even better.

Our DL will be fine this year. Get used to Higginson and Morales causing problems for the OL tackles. They will prove - and at times already have proven - to be more effective than our DE's last year. In the middle, Haynes, and Hester are big and strong and Gibreaux can play either inside or out. We brought in a few big boys also. Not a lot of teams will be running on us this year.

Our LBs will be faster, bigger, deeper, and more experienced. They will be a solid group with a big upside if MM can really lock down his position. The faster LB's will also be blitzing more often this year...count on that. MM will be visiting the backfield often.

And, as mentioned, our DBs are all very talented, hard hitting, ball hawks. They will get/cause a lot of turnovers. They are scary good.

Our WRs, while thinner than a few months ago, should still be solid. Our RBs are fast, but we do not yet have a bruiser and they probably won't be the best blockers - it would be nice to have a big guy to block since our line is in question. TE should be a strong point xnodx - we have two guys who are good and will cause a lot of problems for the oposing defenses. Would not be surprised to see multiple tight ends on some plays. QB is set.

The only question for the Hens is the OL...again. The weights you list are from last year's charts, so you should figure that all of them are 8-10lbs heavier. You also forgot to add the Gradkowski transfer from WVU who was listed between 280-294lbs. Figure he has had a year to grow also.

The OL will not need to be +300lbs each to run the offense our new OC will be using. That new offense will cause some problems for the CAA. If the OL can mesh, our offense will score...especially with the short fields the D will produce. xthumbsupx

ChickenMan
July 22nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Each year it seems there is at least one CAA school that makes an unexpected run.. if their OL play is solid.. Delaware has a real shot to be that CAA team in '09.

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
The play by UD's OTs last year was not good, and it wasn't just size that was the problem. That area has to be much better for the offense to consistently see significant improvement. If Gradkowski can play Tackle, he could make a big difference...otherwise he's kind of a staus quo because the Hens lost a really good center, and a good guard.

jstclmet
July 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Jstclmet. If you exclude the Navy game from the poll, then you should have excluded the Div II West Chester game as well. Either way, there should be no .500 option. UD has an odd # of games (11) and an odd # of IAA games as well, (9). I voted UD to go above .500 (6-5 to 7-4).

Good point about WCU. The .500 option is really more for those who don't think UD will be over .500, but cannot bring themselves to vote UD will be below .500. Surprisingly, so far with about 36 votes already, a large majority believe UD will be above .500.

Now you know who not to let wager for you in AC or Vegas. xoopsx

JMU Newbill
July 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
I voted above .500 (my jmu math says .500 is impossible, but hey, what would i know?).... but only returning 11 starters total is tough in the CAA. Devlin is undoubtedly an improvement.... will be interesting to see how quickly he turns things around.

aust42
July 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM
Our O-Line is our biggest concern. On paper it is worse than last years O-Line which was as horrible an offensive line as I have ever seen at Delaware. One of our returning starting offensive tackles was listed at 265 llbs last year but in reality was lucky if he was 250 llbs. The other tackle was listed at 285 llbs but probably weighed 270 llbs at best. They were both beotch slapped around like little boys last year by DE's and I expect the same results this year. If you have no offensive line, you have no running game or passing game.

I am normally optimistic coming into each year but Delaware will be lucky to have a winning record this coming season and might even be in the running for breaking last years worst record in the history of Delaware football.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
They were both beotch slapped around like little boys last year by DE's and I expect the same results this year.
One or more of those 300 lb incoming Fr's may have to step in. xeyebrowx

aust42
July 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
One or more of those 300 lb incoming Fr's may have to step in. xeyebrowx

Yes I was wondering if a couple of those freshman could step right in and contribute. On paper we have a solid group of incoming O-Lineman but it sure will be tough for them to step right in after two weeks of fall practice.

89Hen
July 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Yes I was wondering if a couple of those freshman could step right in and contribute. On paper we have a solid group of incoming O-Lineman but it sure will be tough for them to step right in after two weeks of fall practice.
Very much so. I know there is a lot to learn in any position, but would O-line be one of the easiest to step in? You don't line up in different spots, you don't go in motion, you don't run... you either pass block or run block, left or right. Not belittling their position, but it would seem perhaps the quickest to learn the ropes on a new team.

mcveyrl
July 22nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
Very much so. I know there is a lot to learn in any position, but would O-line be one of the easiest to step in? You don't line up in different spots, you don't go in motion, you don't run... you either pass block or run block, left or right. Not belittling their position, but it would seem perhaps the quickest to learn the ropes on a new team.

I think one of the biggest adjustments for OL is the quickness and power that comes at you from the DL and the different defensive rushing schemes that come at you. Many of new D-I lineman aren't ready for that.

aust42
July 22nd, 2009, 01:21 PM

It's more difficult than one would think. Many different blocking schemes to learn and as the QB (or in our case KC) calls an audible the center is barking out audibles. D-line can shift on you right before the snap so that will change your blocking scheme at the last second. So you have to be well versed on every blocking scheme and quick to react to any changes. One person out of position can ruin the whole play. It's a strange truth that O-Lineman are always the smartest players on the football field. If you notice most of them are engineers, accounting, finance majors etc. So in that aspect it probably is easier for an O-Lineman to pick things up.

wideright82
July 22nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
I voted above .500 (my jmu math says .500 is impossible, but hey, what would i know?).... but only returning 11 starters total is tough in the CAA. Devlin is undoubtedly an improvement.... will be interesting to see how quickly he turns things around.

Your JMU reading must be your downfall then, because this is a word problem brother. 11-1 = 10 xsmiley_wix (excluding FBS, although probably WC should be out)

bleedblue
July 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
I voted for .500 because we are not expected to beat Navy each year so I don't include them. A loss to a FBS does not usually hurt your playoff chances. Without an OL we are an average FCS team. I'm not saying things won't come together but right now it does not look good. However, the defense will be the best in the CAA. I saw a post saying our LB have problems and that's why #11 was moved there. Wrong. If the LB's that got hurt come back healthy they will be strong and #11 will make them better. The coaching staff made that move to get Chris Morales playing time at DE. Man he is fun to watch. Jury is out on him because he needs game time experience. The secondary is loaded as well the backups. Before #9 moves on he will be the best CB for UD in the last 20 years and the best CB in FCS (as a Sr.) and I know #30 is on the Buck B. list but #4 that got hurt early last year is actually better. #30 plays the pass better and #4 plays the run better. #30 will have more highlights but #4 is the better all around safety. There are 2 other safeties and 1 CB behind them that are going to be hard to keep off the field. Again loaded! BTW the starting DL has already been decided. DE's are Moarles and Higginson and DT's are Hester and Gilbeaux. It's there job to lose.

The only issue as I see it, although a big one, is OL. If we have countless 3 and outs like last year our defense will be beat in the 2nd half of each game. Except of course those games that we should win hands down. If the OL plays well we could make a run at the playoffs.

LacesOut
July 22nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
So we have one UD fan, aust42, thinking UD may be worse than last years 4-8record. And anothe UD fan, Cluck U, who from his post makes it sound that UD could possibly beat Nova, App State, Montana, U of Florida, the Steelers and maybe the Patriots.

LOLOLOL

BigHouseClosedEnd
July 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM
West Chester - Win
Richmond - Loss
Delaware St - Win
William & Mary - Loss
Maine - Win.
Massachusetts - Win
Towson - Win
James Madison - Win
Hofstra - Win
Navy - Loss
Villanova - Win

I predict they will go to the Main Line with a playoff berth on the line and pull it off.

Overall 8-3, CAA 6-2

MR. CHICKEN
July 22nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
West Chester - Win
Richmond - Loss
Delaware St - Win
William & Mary - Loss
Maine - Win.
Massachusetts - Win
Towson - Win
James Madison - Win
Hofstra - Win
Navy - Loss
Villanova - Win

I predict they will go to the Main Line with a playoff berth on the line and pull it off.

Overall 8-3, CAA 6-2

SPIDERMAN...YOU ARE SO RIGHT....AS TALLEY...WILL FIND UH WAY...TA MIS-MANAGE HIS TALENT....... xnodx.......BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!!!

JMU Newbill
July 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Your JMU reading must be your downfall then, because this is a word problem brother. 11-1 = 10 xsmiley_wix (excluding FBS, although probably WC should be out)

That's funny because in the poll, I don't see any points made about excluding FBS games from the record. See my reading comprehension has been formed to not make subjective opinions or assume things, so I take the questions very literally.

Eh... who am I trying to fool... JMU kids don't read good.

JMU Newbill
July 23rd, 2009, 06:05 AM
(I hope someone can get the sarcasm from the above post)

wideright82
July 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
That's funny because in the poll, I don't see any points made about excluding FBS games from the record. See my reading comprehension has been formed to not make subjective opinions or assume things, so I take the questions very literally.

Eh... who am I trying to fool... JMU kids don't read good.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

YoUDeeMan
July 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM
So we have one UD fan, aust42, thinking UD may be worse than last years 4-8record. And anothe UD fan, Cluck U, who from his post makes it sound that UD could possibly beat Nova, App State, Montana, U of Florida, the Steelers and maybe the Patriots.

LOLOLOL

xconfusedx

Who was reading with rose colored glasses? xeyebrowx

Our WRs, while thinner than a few months ago, should still be solid.

Our RBs are fast, but we do not yet have a bruiser and they probably won't be the best blockers - it would be nice to have a big guy to block since our line is in question. TE should be a strong point xnodx - we have two guys who are good and will cause a lot of problems for the oposing defenses. Would not be surprised to see multiple tight ends on some plays. QB is set.

The only question for the Hens is the OL...again. The weights you list are from last year's charts, so you should figure that all of them are 8-10lbs heavier. You also forgot to add the Gradkowski transfer from WVU who was listed between 280-294lbs. Figure he has had a year to grow also.

The OL will not need to be +300lbs each to run the offense our new OC will be using. That new offense will cause some problems for the CAA. If the OL can mesh, our offense will score...especially with the short fields the D will produce. xthumbsupx

jmufan999
July 24th, 2009, 12:58 PM
well i voted for .500, but i was going on the assumption they were playing 12 games, so don't blame me for that option being there.

i'll go 6-5. i've got them losing to Richmond, Maine, JMU, Navy, and Villanova. jst, only one i disagree with is that i think they'll beat W&M. and before anyone gets all pis*y about "why did you pick _____", make sure you have a crystal ball with you because none of us are psychic. we're all guessing.

jstclmet
July 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM
well i voted for .500, but i was going on the assumption they were playing 12 games, so don't blame me for that option being there.

i'll go 6-5. i've got them losing to Richmond, Maine, JMU, Navy, and Villanova. jst, only one i disagree with is that i think they'll beat W&M. and before anyone gets all pis*y about "why did you pick _____", make sure you have a crystal ball with you because none of us are psychic. we're all guessing.

Remember this game is @ Zable. You could very well be right, the Tribe has some O-Line issues too. However, I think the Tribe brings a little more to the table than UD does right now especially on Def.

Don't know if you're familiar with the old story "The Old Man & The Sea", it was about an aging fisherman trying to bring in a giant Marlin from the sea. Before he could get to shore, sharks had ripped the giant fish to bones. UD's that Marlin this year. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
July 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Remember this game is @ Zable. You could very well be right, the Tribe has some O-Line issues too. However, I think the Tribe brings a little more to the table than UD does right now especially on Def.

So UD and W&M bring back roughly the same number of people on defense, last year only 6 yards per game separated the two defenses and UD had a better scoring defense, and this year UD's bound to get at least something in the way of offense (maybe a whole lot depending on how good Devlin is), where last year UD had one of the historically worse offenses of all time, and you think W&M has the edge, "especially on def"? xlolx

WMTribe90
July 24th, 2009, 07:29 PM
So UD and W&M bring back roughly the same number of people on defense, last year only 6 yards per game separated the two defenses and UD had a better scoring defense, and this year UD's bound to get at least something in the way of offense (maybe a whole lot depending on how good Devlin is), where last year UD had one of the historically worse offenses of all time, and you think W&M has the edge, "especially on def"?

UD returns 5 of their top 11 tacklers from last year. WM returns 8 of our 11 top tacklers. As important, WM only lost five players off the two deep and returns experienced DL Jean Pierre after a year off. The big loss was DB Derek Cox, but we return AA DE Tracy.

I would give UD a slight edge in the secondary. WM was 5 yards better than UD in 2007 in pass defense. We lose a shut down corner, but return six DB's with starting experience. WM has better skill, experience and depth on the DL. We return eight players with significant game experience on the DL. Depending on how Macorelle plays at LB, the two teams will either be similar at LB or WM will have a slight edge IMO.

I'd put money on WM ending up a with better soring defense then UD.

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2009, 10:15 PM
UD returns 5 of their top 11 tacklers from last year. WM returns 8 of our 11 top tacklers. As important, WM only lost five players off the two deep and returns experienced DL Jean Pierre after a year off. The big loss was DB Derek Cox, but we return AA DE Tracy.

I would give UD a slight edge in the secondary. WM was 5 yards better than UD in 2007 in pass defense. We lose a shut down corner, but return six DB's with starting experience. WM has better skill, experience and depth on the DL. We return eight players with significant game experience on the DL. Depending on how Macorelle plays at LB, the two teams will either be similar at LB or WM will have a slight edge IMO.

I'd put money on WM ending up a with better soring defense then UD.

Uh oh! The cats out of the bag.xnodx

SUUTbird
July 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I personally think alot of Delawares succses is going to come based off wether or not Delvin is either a dud or a new flacco. And personally i think Deleware should go back to the wing-t, was very cool and very unique! xthumbsupx